2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

4.8/5 (215 ratings)

About Bruno Independent Living Aids

Bruno is a third-generation, family-owned-and-operated company committed to designing and manufacturing the highest-quality stairlifts and accessibility products to help people with mobility challenges retain their independence. Made-in-USA Bruno stairlifts are manufactured exclusively in Wisconsin, United States - and proudly installed by local experts who live in, support and serve their local communities.

Pros

• High weight capacity
  • Good warranty
  • Affordable option available

Cons

• Only available through dealers

Bottom Line

Bruno Independent Living has a good range of stair lifts, with important safety features and some stylish options. Though the curved models have fewer aesthetic options, they are still compatible with most staircases.

Top Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

So far, so good. It is safe, and there’s no problem learning how to use it. I just push the button and ride. I feel much better in my home with the Bruno stairlift. I will highly ...

Bruno stair lift models

Bruno Independent Living manufactures all their stair lifts in the USA. For those wondering how to install a Bruno stair lift, you don’t need to worry about having technical expertise — only official dealers and authorized technicians can and should install a Bruno stair lift. Bruno stair lift batteries are rechargeable, so the stair lifts can run even during a power outage.

Bruno indoor stair lifts

• Elan Stair Lift (300 lbs capacity): The Elan Stair Lift, also known as the SRE 3000, is Bruno’s most popular stair lift model. One great feature of the Elan is that it can be continually charged, not just at the top or the bottom of the railing like some models from other companies. You can also flip the seat up, so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct the stairs. Installed safety sensors will stop the stair lift in the case of an obstruction on the stairs. The Elan is battery-powered, so it functions during a power outage.
  • Elite Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift is a step up from the Elan model. While the Elan is perfectly functional and works well, the Elite can be customized to fit with your home’s decor. You can choose from various options for the seat upholstery and the power chair railing. The Elite model also has a higher weight capacity, at 400 lbs. Like the Elan, it can charge all along the strip, not just at the top and bottom of the landing. It also can fold up so it’s out of the way for people who don’t need to use it. With the Elite, you can also opt for a larger footrest or larger seat. Power swiveling is another option.
  • Elite Curved Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Curved Stair Lift is similar to the original Elite Stair Lift but made for curved stairs. It is also chargeable from anywhere on the stairs, has a safety feature to come to a stop if it senses an obstruction, has a power swivel option and can fold up and out of the way if needed. Unlike the other units, you can remove the lift from the stairs when it’s not in use; however, there is no option to have a painted rail or other custom options.

Bruno outdoor stair lifts

• Elite Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Outdoor Elite has been made to withstand even the most extreme conditions, ranging from 0 degrees to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Weatherproof features include the use of durable paint on all steel surfaces as well as a complimentary sun, snow and water-resistant cover. The Outdoor Elite can flip up out of the way of the stairs and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction blocking its path. You can think of the Elite Outdoor Stair Lift as a twin to the indoor Elite Stair Lift, just with features designed to make it compatible for the outdoors.
  • Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): Like the indoor Curved Stair Lift, the Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift is custom made for outdoor landscapes that don’t have straightforward stairwells. The curved Elite outdoor model has a power swivel and weatherproof paint. It can fold up and will come to a stop if it senses an obstruction. It also is resistant to a wide range of temperatures and comes with a cover.
ModelWeight capacityBest feature
Elan Stair Lift300 lbsLow price
Elite Stair Lift400 lbsStylish upholstery and rail options
Elite Curved Stair Lift400 lbsWorks with almost any type of curved staircase
Elite Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsWeather-resistant paint and cover
Elite Curved Outdoor Stair Lift400 lbsCustomizable to wide range of outdoor arrangements

Bruno stair lift cost

Bruno Independent Living doesn’t advertise prices on its website. You’ll have to reach out to them directly to obtain a quote. Generally, stair lifts in the United States can cost between $2,000 and $10,000. A straight stair lift will cost less, and a curved stair lift will cost more. The Bruno Elite stair lift price is higher than that of the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most basic model. If you’re looking for a bargain, it’s best to check out the Elan model, which is Bruno’s most popular purchase. Financing is available for Bruno stair lifts.

Bruno stair lifts also come with a warranty. Indoor straight stairlifts have a lifetime warranty on the major components, like the gearbox, motor, drivetrain and rail. The major components on outdoor and curved stair lifts have a 5-year warranty. All other components on every stair lift have a 2-year warranty. There is also a 30-day labor coverage after installation in the case of a manufacturing defect. These warranties are only valid if the stair lift is installed by an authorized Bruno dealer.

Do we recommend Bruno Independent Living?

We recommend Bruno Independent Living stair lifts. They have a good selection of both indoor and outdoor stair lifts. The safety features and rechargeable batteries are a plus. Bruno has a long history of reliability, and you can rest assured going with them for your stair lift is a great decision.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bruno Independent Living Aids?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I have a Curb-Sider from Bruno and this is my second one. The other one was older while this one is updated and takes up less room inside my van. During my purchase, the salesperson at the DME Services store wasn't very knowledgeable. He was saying that they had four connections but I knew that there was a bar underneath and it has a U shape because they were just updating mine and I knew how it hooked it up. It was a little bit different from the one that I had before and it makes it a little bit more difficult for me now. I used to hook it up sitting on the curb and on the one closest to me on that side. And now, I have to do it on the other side, so I can't sit. I have a hard time looking down because then I get vertigo. So, I'm still struggling with it.

I tried it the installer’s way then I tried it my way. And my way getting it in was fine. But getting it out, I had a little bit difficulty trying to do my way. So I went back to the way the installer said and it was fine. It's just going to be harder for me to unhook it off and on because I have nowhere to sit to unhook it off and on. One of the things that I did on my old one was, I took a red marker tape that you use for scrapbooks so that it marked how far the bar went in. So, I knew when I put the thing in and that that was where I put the pin in so that it lined up correctly. And it makes it easier for me to know it was in the right place without doing it. So if there's a way to do that with this new one, that would be great. I just have to do it after the fact and I'm not sure if it's possible for Bruno to do that because I don't know if it would be different on different scooters. It would also be nice if they'd have a plug to charge the scooter in the back. Other than that, I love Bruno.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2021

We liked the installation because I was told that normally the installer attaches them to the wall, or they do something else. Bruno installed ours to our steps. My wife wasn't happy because we got oak flooring and she didn't like that. But I said, "Well, you'll get use out of it. And when I get to the point where I can't walk, I'll get use out of it too." She said, “Okay." She would've had it mounted to the wall, but I've never seen any of them. Even on TV, they’re always mounted to the floor, on the steps. She said, "We paid a lot of money for those oak stair tread and stuff. Well, I can live with it." And before we used to have particleboard shelving and covered it up with carpet. And we took the carpet and the particle board shelving out and they put oak stair tread on top.

The only thing I was unhappy with is when the installers did all the cutting, they left all the metal shavings in my driveway, and I had to go out there and get my blower. I said, "Oh, no big deal." I thought they would be aluminum foil, heck no. They were sharp shards. I picked one up and said, "Oh crap." My grandkids come and visit me and when they get off, they're just wearing their socks all bare-footed. That's why I said, "I want to get this stuff out of here because if the kids can get that stuff on their feet, they're going to come in crying down, "Grandpa, grandpa, I got this stuck on my foot.". So, I just took my blower and blew all that stuff away. Other than that, I got no other complaints. The stairlift works good. My grandkids like the hell out of it, and I do too.

I have a close friend of mine who is a veteran too and had his installed. They wanted to put one when he's going downstairs, because his wife told me he had to scoot in his butt to get downstairs. When there's a severe tornado warning, they said that that's the only way he could get out. But he said it limited the space going up and going down. And mine does too, but I don't worry about it. Now, all I have to worry about is getting in and out of bed, take a shower. I would tell everybody that comes into my house, "Check this out. It has rocket boosters on it. You put it in compound, it goes slow." It only travels at one speed, but it's a plus and they like it. They would say "I gotta get me one of those."

Original review: April 30, 2021

My wife has leg problems, hip problems, and also she's got dementia. So, I wanted to get a chairlift. One of the ladies that came to help out my wife had one at one point in her life, and she gave me Bruno's telephone number. The sales representatives are good. Doug and Mel were super. They know what they're doing. The only thing about the chairlift is it’s too much money. I have about five steps and it's about five feet from end to end. It cost me $3,500. I've got more stairs below that. There are two curves. I would love to have more chairlift, but when I said, “Give me a ballpark," they said, “Around 20 grand.” They priced me out of the market. If they're more like an elevator, maybe they're less money. But you get what you pay for.

I like the chairlift. I had to have one of the installers come back out. It's got all these damn beepers on it like trucks backing up, and it was driving me crazy. What I would recommend is for them to be sure to advise people of those beepers. I had to have the guy come out a few days ago and turn one of those beepers off. I just assumed there were no beepers on it at all. That's the thing I don't like about the design. We don't need these darn things. They're just superfluous.

The only way you can stop that damn thing from beeping is to turn that chairlift back around to its normal up and down position. But that's okay. They can unhook them if I request them to, and they did. ​You can also turn it off. There's a flip switch on it but a handicapped person cannot reach around underneath and behind and turn off that beep because it's very low on the chair itself. If they're going to have that beeper switched, they ought to put it up where a handicapped person can get to it. ​Overall, the service is absolutely wonderful.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

A Bruno lift was assembled in Wilmington, Delaware on the back of my truck for my electric mobility scooter. I took my truck through the VA and they provided me a lift that's on the back of my pickup. The VA gave me electric mobility scooter to get around with. The representatives from the day that I went up to have it installed on my truck were really polite and business-like 100%. The technician that installed it on my truck said he’d be about an half hour, and he was a little bit quicker. He explained all the procedures and the function of it and went over it a couple times with me to make sure I was clear about it.

I've used the apparatus several times. I've had it about a month and a half now, and I am tickled to death with it. The interaction with the people as far as the people presenting Bruno was a pleasure. My lift is installed in my receiver hitch on the back of my pickup that I pull my trailers with. They installed it, in which it doesn't use a pin, so you can easily remove it, so I could put my hitch on to pull my trailer. They use a bolting system that they have to use. Their guy told me why.

If you put a receiver in the back of a pickup, that's not a real tight fit. So, stuff rolls and moves around a little bit. They want this thing to be tight in the hole, so they have a compression segment that goes in there and a bolt. You tighten the bolt up, and it does not move one ounce. That's the way they want it for this lift. So, when it's going down the highway, the lift and the chair you got on it is perfectly level with the ground, and there's no movement, and it fastens down on it. The only drawback I have is the bolt. I've had to remove it one time and take the hitch off for the use of my trailer. It's a little bit more cumbersome than it is just pulling a pin. But outside of that, I'm alright with it. I recommend Bruno highly. I would do it again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I'll be 88 next year. I have a hard time climbing up and down the stairs and my kids didn't want me to fall down in the stairs. I also wanted a walk-in bathtub downstairs but nobody wanted to open the wall into the third car garage to extend the shower or walk-in tub in there. They didn't want to disturb the electrical wiring behind that wall in my bathroom downstairs, so my son went into searching Google and find a stairlift. I know my girlfriend in San Diego has one when she retired and she's happy with it.

I got the straight one, up and down, with a curve in the bottom stair. The installer who came out was a nice and respectful guy. He showed me how to use it, told me about changing of the batteries and to oil once a year. I wrote that down, but he talked so fast. Maybe because he had another installation to go to. But my son told Dan from sales that I'm still available to climb up three steps. So we can wait until I cannot walk up in that three steps to go up in the level where the stairlift is before making any adjustments.

Other than that, my stairlift fits my stairs well. Initially, I was thinking that they could change the stair handle to the other side because the lift is in the right side. But that's the only one with the handle in the rail where you go up and down to hold. But Bruno's rep said he could extend it out there than the stairwell and that was what he did. There is still a few space to walk up and down for anybody, so it works.

When I use my stairlift up and down, there is a green light in the top where they installed under the step upstairs that was on all the time. But last week, I noticed that there was a red light blinking in that green light. So I told my son and he said it might be the battery. He said to call up Dan, so I did that today but he was out of the office. He also gave me the office number, but it was unavailable. It told me I could call later. But Dan said he would call me and try to send me a repair guy to come over. So that's what I'm waiting for. Now, my stairlift stopped running up and down and doesn't move anymore. But I tried to twist back and forth, because you can twist it back and forth, and that's how I go upstairs. Besides that, my stairlift is a good one. It helps me now because I can carry my laundry basket in there too.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

We got a chairlift for my mother-in-law to be able to get up and down the stairs. We chose a local company, North Georgia Mobility, and when we went in, we asked about a stairlift. They use Bruno and they gave us the price and told us it would be five to seven days. We went ahead and purchased, but it turned out to be a month and a half before we could get the chairlift. We don't have a shower downstairs, and the wait time was extremely cumbersome since my mother-in-law was not able to shower in the process. Other than that, it was an easy install, and the people were wonderful. They're a great company. The chairlift we got is straight, fits very well and it's not in the way. It holds up well and has been extremely helpful. It definitely impacted my mother-in-law’s life. She's able to get up and down the stairs to take a shower.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

We have a fully accessible home except for the upstairs, and I had a lift that we had put up for my daughter 12 years ago to take her from the garage level to the basement. My youngest daughter passed away, so now, we use it. I called the company who took care of my lift, and they recommended Bruno and their product. I originally wanted to get a complete stairlift from the bottom up to the landing, and then up to the next level but the lead time on that was two to four months because it was a custom order. So instead, I had to buy two individual ones. One to the landing, and the second, from the landing to the second floor.

I like that it's simple. It's easy to twist the chair, push the little lever down and turn the chair. I like the fact that we have the remotes, although I've never used them yet. Hopefully, my wife will be able to handle it without the remotes. But if need be, I have the remote control, I can take her up. I like the seatbelts. I don't use them, and I don't know if my wife will need them. But it's nice, at least initially, knowing that they're there so that she can take care of herself. I don’t have to worry about her falling out on the way up or before she transfers. The fact they put it in in an hour and a half was amazing to me. I called on a Thursday. They installed it on a Friday. These guys were wonderful. I've always gotten great service from Bruno. They've never recommended anything that isn't right. So I'm getting exactly what I expected, which is excellent service.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

The guys from Westchester Stairlift were great. And the chairflift is awesome. It has made a lot easier for my mom.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

The stairlift has helped out a lot. And I'm really proud of this thing. Also, the installers did a good job. They didn't do what the last people did in here who didn't put too much grease on it. So, it works good. It's quiet. It's a lot better than the other one which gave me trouble from day one. And I could never get anybody out here to fix it. So I'm glad the VA got this.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

With therapy, I could now go up and down stairs by walking, but I feel more secure with using the chairlift most of the time. It works for me, and it would probably work for you too.

Bruno Independent Living Aids Company Information