Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

35 Briggs and Stratton Generators Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 7, 2019

I thought it was a great generator, so quite. I got it in the mail, and I had to put the oil in it. So, I did that and started it up. It ran fine, so I filled it with fuel and stored it. This was February this year 2019. A few weeks ago, I noticed oil was leaking under it when I moved it to a new location. Mind you, I have never used it, all but starting it. There is no physical damage, and it has plastic casing all around, so in order for it not to be a manufacturer defect, such as a collision or other form of damage, the plastic would have been damaged.

So, it's a new generator, never used, and I have to pay 80 dollars for them to look at it to see if it is covered. I asked them if under the above conditions, it must be a defect because it would be impossible for damage to cause a leak like that without being visible, would it be covered. The dealer, a guy a Placerville Polaris didn't leave me confident that it would be covered, even though logic would dictate that it should be without any evidence of personal damage I could have done. It was new. I'm 60 years old, and I'm a contractor. I've never damaged any machine enough to cause an oil leak in all my years.

I called warranty, and they too left me bewildered that it would be covered. They would not tell me that what I described would be covered absent any misuse, etc. I was bewildered by their lack of customer concern! This puts the cus in customer in a new light! So, I've had Mitsubishi, and Yamaha, and Honda, and never been treated like this before by them as a customer. I will never buy another BS product, as they do live by their acronym!!!

Original review: April 2, 2019

I purchased the Promax 9000EA serial number BAA0018933 on the 13 of April 2016 and just purchased two cylinder heads for the same unit. Hardly an antique but Briggs and Stratton indicates it no longer manufactures a brush assembly for the generator part # 707127 a $5-10 part. Customer support gave me list of dealers in "antique" generators. These units are not antiques. They are on sale in the UK, USA. It appears that B &S may have changed the brush assembly on newer units and obsoleted a 3 year unit for which I just purchased a $300 of parts and on which I have changed the brush assembly twice in the last three years.

Get expert buying tips about Generators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My 10k gen had a stator failure in September 2018 with only 153 hours run time. The dealer responded and diagnosed the failure 1 month later. B&S technical support approved the warranty repair on October 25, 2018. Today is January 15, 2019, the unit is still down with the replacement stator still on backorder (3 months later).

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I purchased a P 2200 generator to run my 17 foot trailer. It ran fine for the long weekend and powered the trailer well. It has been 5 months since the last start. I wanted to see if it still started as well as the first time. It will not start. The fuel was stabilized and had Starbright added as well. I replaced the fuel, spark plug and drained the carb. Still won’t start. The Briggs and Stratton helpline is a joke offering very little help. I do not recommend this generator. Buy a Honda that will always start.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I live in bush Alaska where building supplies must be choppered in. So I began stock-piling (over several years) materials for a home-remodel--- including a 3500 WATT BRIGGS AND STRATTON GENERATOR to run power tools. I never used the generator (except to run a vacuum a few hours) and it went OFF WARRANTY. When I tried to use it (July '18) it wouldn't even run the vac, and taking it apart revealed the carrier bearing had slipped out of place. Because the generator was always kept inside, full of clean oil, and had less than 8 hours run-time it's obvious it was defective right from the factory. But Briggs refuses to compensate me by saying, A. "The generator is off warranty." B. "From the photo you provided it looks like the generator over-heated." BRIGGS REFUSES TO ADMIT THEY SELL DEFECTIVE EQUIPMENT. And let me add--- the generator never over-heated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton Generators?

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have a Simplicity Broadmoor with 43 hours on the tractor. It is under warranty, but the nearest dealer is 26 miles away and will charge me 70 bucks for pickup and the same for delivery. At 22 hours the engine started running on one cylinder. I diagnosed no spark and rather than paying the outrageous delivery fees, I fixed it myself. Yesterday, I noticed oil pouring out of the sump gasket. I have a factory trained tech as a friend so he will fix the gasket for 150 bucks which is less than the delivery charges. I am extremely fussy with maintenance and will never buy a Briggs engine again in any shape or form. Another lesson for all to heed: buy local if possible to avoid delivery charges that obsolete the factory warranty.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Briggs and Stratton Generators is a great product to own. I heard of things from people that owned the brand and my friends and family both have owned generators from the brand. I like the high generation of the product. It works very fast and it gives a high amount of power in a good amount of time. Everything I've seen so far and experienced have been very positive.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I did a little on line shopping, I happened to visit Home Depot shortly there after, I saw the Briggs and Stratton model and impulsively purchased. I have come to regret that decision. The B and S unit offered 7000-watt peak capability. I thought this was reasonable. My only data source on the model was on the ticket attached to the gas cap. However, the unit is prone to rust and is very hard to start. At this point the unit is little more than a somewhat expensive boat anchor. Additionally I must pay a special charge to have it hauled away!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I like how easy it is to start up, and how many different things it can power up at the same time (Ex. Toaster, lights, oven, fridge). These are the things that I liked about the generator. On the other hand, I think that you should be able to start it up without gas, maybe having a charger a day prior, and then using the energy from the night prior. That is the only thing I don't like about it.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I purchase the Briggs and Stratton because I had one before except it had less watts which was almost 5000, it work very well for years. I ran lights, fridge, freezer, tv and a few more things for days. I love the 4 outlets of 120, long life, the quietness it has, 9 hours of power with half the load and over head valve engine. Easy to transport from one place to another with the wheels. I would love to see more watts and more plug ins. But other than that, I have used this brand for years and never let me down. Fires up every time when needs be.

Briggs and Stratton Generators Company Information