3.31/5
Based on 29 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Briggs and Stratton Generators

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: July 18, 2017

29 Briggs and Stratton Generators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: July 18, 2017

Briggs and Stratton Generators is a great product to own. I heard of things from people that owned the brand and my friends and family both have owned generators from the brand. I like the high generation of the product. It works very fast and it gives a high amount of power in a good amount of time. Everything I've seen so far and experienced have been very positive.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I did a little on line shopping, I happened to visit Home Depot shortly there after, I saw the Briggs and Stratton model and impulsively purchased. I have come to regret that decision. The B and S unit offered 7000-watt peak capability. I thought this was reasonable. My only data source on the model was on the ticket attached to the gas cap. However, the unit is prone to rust and is very hard to start. At this point the unit is little more than a somewhat expensive boat anchor. Additionally I must pay a special charge to have it hauled away!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 14, 2017

I like how easy it is to start up, and how many different things it can power up at the same time (Ex. Toaster, lights, oven, fridge). These are the things that I liked about the generator. On the other hand, I think that you should be able to start it up without gas, maybe having a charger a day prior, and then using the energy from the night prior. That is the only thing I don't like about it.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I selected this brand because Briggs and Stratton has a great reputation. A Briggs and Stratton engine will last forever if it is taken care of. I purchased my generator with the intent to use it as back up power for my residence when the power went off. I had been caught too many times in the winter during a snow storm and have a power outage and I did not want to risk that again. Most generators are loud, but this one runs really quiet and that is what I like best about it. You can barely hear it. However, I really did not like the color but that was the only color that they had on sale. Also, it weighs a little more than I can easily manage. I wish I could have gotten a generator that weighed less and was less cumbersome. But I'm a thoroughly satisfied customer.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I read numerous online reviews from Amazon, and other third party websites. I was looking at a few different units, but this Briggs and Stratton was exactly what I was looking for. It was portable, easy to use, and very user-friendly. It could have been slightly cheaper. Other than that, this particular generator is a very high-quality make and works just as I want it to. I use it for camping trips, and outdoor parties mainly, but also as a backup for if power goes out in my home. It comes with everything you need including the oil, and it starts up with just a few pulls.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton Generators?

Original review: July 8, 2017

I select this brand because I've heard good things about them in the past and I wanted to get a generator with a good reputation. It did meet my overall expectations from what I had read about the product and I'm satisfied with my decision. I like the higher power output per square inch of its footprint providing backup electricity to more of your household appliances. Also included 100-amp automatic transfer switch provides complete plug-and-play package to get started immediately. But it doesn't come with its own platform. You must you have one built for it which is a separate expense and adds to the overall cost of using the machine.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I purchase the Briggs and Stratton because I had one before except it had less watts which was almost 5000, it work very well for years. I ran lights, fridge, freezer, tv and a few more things for days. I love the 4 outlets of 120, long life, the quietness it has, 9 hours of power with half the load and over head valve engine. Easy to transport from one place to another with the wheels. I would love to see more watts and more plug ins. But other than that, I have used this brand for years and never let me down. Fires up every time when needs be.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I looked at several brands, but Briggs and Stratton was about 45 dollars cheaper than a more popular brand and it had the same power capacity so it was a no brainer. It did meet my expectations since I had never used generators before I was afraid it would be difficult to start up, but it wasn't. It started up right away and gave me power to what I needed fairly quickly. I like the ease of use with the generator. It is fairly easy to take it around and it doesn't take up too much space in my home or in my car if I take it camping or let someone borrow it for a few nights. However, sometimes the generator might sputter out after leaving it on for several hours, so if I was in the middle of doing something it would shut down and thus lose power again and then I would need to restart it. So one big improvement I would like to see is that it can be more durable while it is in operation.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I looked at several generators online. I needed one that was portable and could be used almost anywhere. Then after I chose Briggs and Stratton I went to Lowes to purchase it. I like the fact that Briggs and Stratton is very portable and can be used just about anywhere I need it. It has multiple ports and it's easy to use. It's also a lot better than a lot of other generators on the market. The only thing I can think to improve upon is how noisy it can be. Maybe also give it more ports for various items I may need. Other than that, I am very happy with my Briggs and Stratton generator.

Original review: May 25, 2017

When looking to buy, this generator was the one that we liked better. It had wheels to move it around easier from one place to another and a push button start which makes it easier to start. It also has enough amperage to have electricity to our whole house with ease. the only thing i can think of that is awkward is the gas turn on is backward which makes you have to remember which way to turn on. When you forget, it will not start and you will think something is wrong with it.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Briggs and Stratton Generator was on sale and needed two of them fast. Knew this was a good one and bought at Sears for the storm Sandy that went through and we were out of electric for 15 days. I like its 6 big outlets on it, runs on gas and keeps the house going. Can put it behind the house and run very long extension cords from it to the house but it is very loud and very heavy. Takes two large guys to carry it to the place you want to set it and needs to be checked every year to make sure it is still in working order.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I researched a few other brands for durability, power, price, length of use, etc and found the Briggs and Stratton to be the best overall deal. It totally met my expectations and it worked exactly as it claimed to work. Very good, highly innovative, and highly reliable generator. They are made of high quality materials, durable, and always work very well and provide the power needed for any situation I have encountered. It has 5000w and has an OHV engine for long life. It is extremely fuel efficient which is very important to me. It has a pretty large tank size of 5 gallons which last over 10-15 hours depending on usage. I highly recommend this brand to anyone who is in need of a generator.

Original review: May 20, 2017

When we purchased this type of generator we had been planning on buying one for quite sometime but the prices was a little high to me. Then we found this one on sale and I went and purchased it right away and I have loved it ever since. It has came in useful quite a few times. I like features on this kind of generator like the fact it is handy to have if your electricity goes off at home or if you wanna pack up and go camping you have power as needed. But I think it needs a better hold on the power life.

Original review: May 19, 2017

My husband and I first researched generators online. We got very tired of living without electricity every time we had a storm. My husband knows a lot about different brands of tools already. He works in the construction field. He saw a bunch of different ones but when he saw the Briggs and Stratton one, he instantly knew that is what he wanted. We ordered it online and picked it up in store.

The Briggs and Stratton Brand of generators is a trustworthy and reliable brand. I like that it's capable of running a long period of time. It's easy to operate. We take it with us fishing and camping and even my kids know how to operate the machine. It has helped us out numerous times when we have lost electricity due to storms. I would like to improve the weight of the generator if possible. It's a big, heavy duty machine that is not so easy to pick up. The wheels are not so easy to push it especially if you are walking through tons of mud and water due to storms. I would make it easier to handle for sure.

Original review: May 18, 2017

The generator has a very nice sleek look. The colors are red and black which I like. It's easy to start and to move around. It's good on fuel, very dependable and easily stored in my garage for future use. For the price you couldn't beat the 5500. I just wish it would power my entire house with the small compact size of my 5500 Briggs and Stratton generator. I wish it was a little more weather proof too. There are long hard winters in PA and finding a well ventilated weather proof spot is sometimes difficult. But all in all the customer service offered is the best. They truly cared about my buying experience. I would make the same decision over and over again when it comes to Briggs and Stratton. It’s a very reputable brand you can count on to work over and over.

Original review: May 17, 2017

P2200 Briggs Generator - 5 pulls to start the first time, 10 the next, ran rich, no start the third. Brand new, had to take to Briggs dealer in Keller,TX. They were dissatisfied to work on it cause it was not purchased from them. Been there for repair two weeks and still no contact that they looked at generator.

Original review: May 17, 2017

The Briggs and Stratton generator that I recently purchased is a very useful, powerful machine. We use it at our home if we ever have power failures. We have taken it camping. It is made very well and is very durable. I like all of the features of this generator. It is easy to fill with gas and to start. And I selected this brand because I have had previous positive experience with this brand. I also have family members that use this brand. It has always and still is meeting my expectations fully.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I bought it because I wanted it for camping and it was on sale and I trust the brand I made a smart choice when I purchased it. It has come in very handy at times. I like that the generator is portable and it starts very easy even after it sits for a while and the noise level is pretty quiet. I also like that it can be used when the power goes out. I still can have electricity and it doesn't take up too much room to store. It would be nice though if it had wheels so it wouldn't have to be carried and some hand grips because it is hard to hold onto just the metal bars. Also it would be nice if they had a better way to drain the gas for storage purposes.

Original review: May 15, 2017

It's very useful in the time of need and it help out in the tough moments. I use it to keep my home and business running during bad storms and just to lower my electric bill slightly. It's very convenient to use and I would recommend to anyone wanting to have and use a generator. It's truly the best. It does everything that it was made for and plus more. If you use this generator you will not be disappointed. It meets my expectations and I am very happy with the purchase I have made.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2016

I unfortunately own a B&S 7k standby generator model 310000 with engine 319775-0109 for about 3 yrs. This motor has been riddled with problems from day one such as (hard starting, backfiring, low oil, fouled plugs, rough idle). 2 weeks ago during a power outage it wouldn't start so I go out 4 am - 9 degrees and I have yet another fouled plug! I replace the plug with the extras I have to keep on hand for this junkie engine, however it ran the battery down trying to start! So I had to jump it with a car battery. It ran about 2 1/2 hours before it literally blew my muffler apart! I can send pictures as I still have the muffler. It shut down and I had a code of f6 code (overspeed) bought a new muffler which had been redesigned, restarted it and it went right to overspeed.

B&S tech came out and told me I had a blown head gasket, bent valves, and the internal governor was bad and it was also knocking. He would not recommend a rebuild as he said he has seen this before with this motor and one of the reasons Briggs discontinued this generator. Btw it only had 64 hrs. on it. Online there is numerous complaints about the head gasket as well as this generator. Briggs was like this is the first time they heard about it.

Briggs is not what it once was. If you look at top commercial brand lawn mowers you will not see a Briggs. It usually will be Kohler or Kawasaki. I am now looking at a Kohler 8k standby which BTW has a five year commercial and residential warranty. Briggs is only four and is residential only because they know if they went longer they would be doing numerous repairs. Briggs customer service is horrible and could care less. Now I truly have a standby generator. It literally stands by and does NOTHING just like Briggs and Stratton themselves .

Original review: Feb. 2, 2016

I purchased a Briggs and Stratton 7000 Generator in December 2005. Never used it for emergency power but kept it serviced and in excellent condition, including running it for 30 minutes three times a year. I expected to be ready for emergency use. With a forecast of up to 16 inches of snow and possible one quarter inch of ice, I moved the generator from my garage to the outside electrical hook-up to my house. Before plugging it in I started the engine to test the generator. The engine blew after running less than two minutes. I checked that the oil was at the full level before starting. The engine never had a tank of gas ran through it. I would hope that Briggs and Stratton would replace the engine.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

7000kw generator - In the 7 years I have had this, it has required repair calls 3-4 times a year. It just stops exercising and there is an error code that always speaks to "reves". We got this for comfort when we have a vacation in the winter, as our water line is heated so we need the generator to keep it on if the hydro goes out. You cannot depend upon it and now we have to replace it at our own cost unless Briggs and Stratton does something for us. We have come to find out that these single cylinder generators had a lot of "glitches". Not much help to us now.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2014

I am currently researching backup home generators for my home. Milbank line of generators are equipped with two cylinder B&S Vanguard engines. Based on what I am reading here, I will prudently avoid this make. Last thing I want is B&S engine leaking oil, throwing rods, bent crankshafts etc. on a cold winter night power failure. Kohler and Generac make own engines so I will be leaning toward those now. Sorry to read of these problems, but when spending $10-12K, you expect reliability. My parents had B&S engines on their mowers and snow blowers and were seemingly indestructible. But guess B&S has gone downhill especially if made in China **.

Original review: May 1, 2014

I bought a Briggs & Stratton Generator Storm Responder 5500 watt 8250 model number 030430 in 2011. I paid a thousand dollars for this generator. I used this generator one time. Now the thing won't start and Briggs & Stratton have stated oh well, carry it to repair facility and have it fixed. To this I say NOT!

Original review: March 20, 2014

I bought the Troy-Bilt 7000 Generator from Lowe’s a week ago. It started out running great. Then on the seventh day it stopped running. The oil was running out, not dripping off the crankcase. I read a recent review and was told to check for defects. I am on my way to do just that. I will update this with pictures when I find the problem. B&S had better back their warranty.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2014

Generator stopped on Christmas Day during ice storm and with no power, can't get anyone to come and service it. I am a widow living in the country and need to have this as a reliable source that is why I spent a lot of money on it and dealt with local business. Can you help me get a service man here to make sure it will run the next time the power is out...please.

Original review: April 28, 2013

My generators engine self-destructed in less than one day's operation on a light load. I took it to a B&S dealer for warranty repair and after a cursory inspection was told that I had allowed it to run dry of lubricating oil and that the warranty would not cover the repair or replacement of the engine. In other words, I broke it so I had to fix it. After some thought, I decided to take it apart and see just how bad it was inside. It was bad! The engine was run dry and the connecting rod tried to weld itself to the crankshaft and then the rod broke into many pieces. It was bad but not unrepairable. I cleaned and polished the crankshaft and checked it for size. It was still on size. I then started cleaning the crank case and found a casting defect in the bottom of the engine casting that should have been found before machining and assembly.

This flaw allowed a very slow leak when cold and not running and the leak would increase when the engine was running. The operating temperature reached normal as the casting would expand making the hole larger. The oil would become thinner with heat and the added pressure in the crankcase, due to windage, would force the oil out of the sump. Upon discovering the cause of the leak and resulting engine failure, I returned to the dealer and showed the service manager the cause of the problem. With this information, I was ready to pursue my claim in small claims court if B&S did not remedy the problem to my satisfaction. The dealership then filed a warranty claim with B&S and after only a few days, B&S has agreed to replace the short block assembly. I hope this information will help others that might have a similar problem. My engines casting flaw may be a one off occurrence or it may be a more widespread problem. The only way to know if your generator has the same problem is to stand the generator on end and inspect the engine case, looking for any disfiguration in the casting.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2012

I purchased Briggs and Stratton Storm Responder 5500w Generator from Lowe's on 3/15/2010. I only used it once sometime in 2011 for a couple of hours due to power outage in the area. I did start my generator in early 2012 and it worked fine at that time. I changed the oil and safe in storage area for future use. When Sandy Storm hit our area in October 2012, we used the generator for few hours and then the generator suddenly stopped running. We did try to start it but failed to do so due to pull-up string not even moving (just stuck). We checked the oil and found it good.

We were without power for seven days. I talked to Briggs Customer Service and explained the issue and she said, "The 2 years warranty is over and we will charge you for the repair." I paid $826.97 for this generator to run just for a couple of hours. I think it is not fair and Briggs should repair it free of cost. I took it to the local service shop and he told me that it could be manufacturer defect because the generator is brand new and should be running. I hope the above helps others and Briggs improve their products. Thanks.

Original review: March 13, 2012

I have a B&S generator with just over 200 hours of use. The engine has been well maintained with scheduled part replacements. The engine, while running, started to spew oil and was quickly shut down. It has been in the repair shop since. Briggs and Stratton has dragged its feet in making a determination for compensation. I’ve been waiting for weeks. This company used to be a standard for American quality. No more and never again for me.

Briggs and Stratton Generators Company Information