1.70/5
Based on 43 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

58 Black & Decker Power Tools Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I got in touch with Black & Decker to replace a faulty bag on a blower vacuum - which was less than a year old - in the middle of July. After sending requested "evidence" of the faulty bag and proof of receipt I am still waiting for the replacement bag. Very disappointing given it is a faulty bag. They did supply information about outlets to buy a replacement bag very efficiently but I opted to get it under warranty because it was going to cost almost half of the vacuum itself. I won't buy from Black & Decker again if this is their idea of customer service.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I read several of the reviews and a lot of them are negative related to battery recharging failure. I have had a very positive experience with my trimmer which was bought and used weekly for the last year or so. I admit the battery doesn't last as long as I would like but it does a good job, is easy to operate and is lightweight for walking around half an acre. I have recommended it to others who have had similar positive experiences.

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I bought a Black & Decker 18 volt battery operated weed whacker last year from Lowe's. I charged the battery to use it. Put the other battery on the charger to charge and after 2 uses for some reason it won't hold a charge. I'm very disappointed 'cause this was the lightest weed whacker for me to use with shoulder injuries. Black & Decker is a well known company so I thought I would have an issue, obviously I was clearly wrong.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Bought the 40v Black and Decker weed eater about a year ago. Battery wouldn't take a charge after three uses. This was a reported known issue with the product so they sent me a new battery. Same exact thing happened to the new battery, three uses, now it won't hold a charge. The company responded that replacement parts don't have a warranty and they won't cover it. Won't be using them again.

Original review: April 8, 2018

All 20 volt power tools. I really love using Black & Decker tools! They are supposed to be made in the USA. But why do I get them with stamp on it made in China? Very disappointing in American tools being made in China and not the USA. If I order from China to be cheaper but it would take you 2 months to get them. But I will always still be a Black & Decker customer. Just disappointed in where it's made at that's all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Black & Decker?

Original review: March 23, 2018

We purchased a Black & Decker cordless lawn mower (SPCM1936) in 2014. The mower worked fairly well. After a recent move our charge cord for the mower went missing. Thinking I could purchase a replacement I went online to several parts websites and found no one carried the charge cable and that it was not available. I contacted Black & Decker directly by email and requested the new part number or a source for replacement with Tiffany the customer service rep. She replied that they no longer provided that part and no replacements were available. The mower was out of production in 2015 as best I can determine. That is only two years!! So now my $500 mower is useless and a throw away. You can still purchase batteries, blades, bags and various other parts but no charge cable. This is totally unacceptable.

Very distressed. This is not product support that I believed I was getting with this company. Obviously, the company is no longer a viable source for reliable tools and support. As a contractor with 50 years of purchasing Black & Decker and Dewalt tools (same company) I will no longer trust them with my tool money and shop elsewhere. There are many other reliable companies that support their products and can be trusted. Shame on you Black & Decker.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We recently purchased a Black and Decker Hand Held Vac Model #HLVA325BP and I called Black and Decker on 2/2/18 to order more filters and was told there are none available until 4/18. The customer service rep. at Black and Decker stated this was a new model hand vac and they had not received filters yet and the filters coming in April were already sold out and I could purchase now and be put on a list. Why would they sell hand vacs that they have no filters for? This hand vac is useless to me now.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Blower/Vacuum/ Mulcher purchase - Unable to figure out how to put unit together. Called the 18005446986 for help. After holding for over 30 min. Tiffany, who was short, unpleasant, and not the best candidate to work customer service, did not know what to do and suggested I return it to the store. I asked to escalate my need to a supervisor, which could not be done, per Tiffany. Instead she connected me to the factory service center @ 7702461710, who never answered. I will return the unit to the store where purchased and never ever purchase a Black & Decker again. Their priority, clearly has absolutely nothing to do with customer service or satisfaction. Reality proven again... It's all about how much money they can make while extending the least help possible. Very disappointed but will not give Black & Decker the opportunity to ever disappoint again.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Black and Decker 40v Trimmer - Terrible! Purchased new in the spring from Lowes. Battery does not last long enough to trim around whole yard (about 15-20 minutes). Even with full 8 hour charges and the three green lights on battery showing full charge. Now it won't run at all... just beep when trying to get it to start. Lowes is of no help 30 days after purchase. I will never buy another Black and Decker product after this disappointing experience, or shop at Lowes for that matter. Best to stick with companies like Costco who stand by the products they sell for refunds.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

1st off my garage was broken into and my 16 year old Craftsman trimmer was stolen, so I got a B&D Cordless electric weed trimmer to store indoors. 2nd time I used it battery 1 stopped holding a charge. 2nd battery worked, but for like 9 minutes, so once again, charged them both for recommended 8 hours each, and same thing. Now I'm thinking that because trimmer weighs so much they make short lived batteries so you don't notice the trimmer weight or awkwardness in handling the piece of junk. Used to get quality products from B&D, but not anymore. They lost my business. Another failure most likely due to The North American Free Trade Agreement.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I bought a corded grass trimmer and the line feeder fed too much line out and the chunks of line cut up my legs. I returned the product to Home Depot with my legs bleeding and the Mgr gave me an upgraded b&d trimmer. The new product is doing the same thing. I bought the correct size line, wound it the correct direction and ran the line through the tiny hole. The hole is now a notch and the line over feeds. This is painful.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I wasn't to buy a Black and Decker product because my experience is that they sell cheap, poorly constructed and short-lived products. Others had purchased the 40v Lithium powered line trimmer and thought it was a good product. I bought one and it performed well the first few times I used it. But the battery and charger (not sure which one is the culprit) seem to be combining to make me miserable. The battery doesn't maintain a charge and, when it's seated in the charger, the light blinks for days, suggesting that the battery never charges. There's so much junk available for purchase anymore. Black and Decker seems to produce metric tons of it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I've owned several BD products. In the last few years it has declined in quality in my opinion. Also just called the "800 #" on the back of a tool and waited 22 minutes to get a person who told me that I had the wrong place and needed to call another number. But she did transfer me. I was caller # 16! After over 65 minutes on hold I was # 11!!! I just hung up. NEVER PURCHASE from a company until you CALL THE HELP LINE FIRST!!! From in the store look at the product and call them. Tell them you've had it for 90% of the warranty and see how you are treated. If it is a terrible long wait, call the "New Sales help". If you get a response a LOT FASTER, DON'T PURCHASE!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

Never had such an experience: Lowes sold B&D cordless mower which has so weak power. On & off, & on & off, run at only nude ground, not on grass. Lowes sells this product, and does not allow to return. So you have to keep this garbage product at $400. What a shame of this Lowes store in Canada to distribute such a poor quality product.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

Have 2 GH600 trimmers - garbage. Black and Decker auto feeds crash after about 4 months. Now you have a manual feed!!! Same with the battery powered one I purchased last year. After Stanley purchased B&D they became the same ** company Stanley is. B&D used to be the shining star in tools. I WON'T buy another B&D tool.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

The Dual-Line Automatic Feed Spool (Model # DF-080) the divider piece on the spool is very thin and does not hold up for very many rewinds. I would like to see this beefed up a little so it will last for more than 3 or 4 rewinds. I am an employee in a TRUE VALUE HARDWARE STORE and recommend your products on a regular basis. Overall I am happy with the trimmer that I own. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

I had a problem with my Stanley Black & Decker lawnmower and I just want to personally give and provide a Five Star Commendation to Stephen ** who took care of ME! He went out of his way to please me as his loyal, long term standing Stanley Black & Decker customer. You are the Best! No wonder why Stanley Black & Decker has been such a Successful Company! It is because of people like Stephen ** who Really Care about Stanley Black & Decker's Customers! Thank you for All Of your Help!

Original review: June 18, 2016

I won't buy other B&D tools either - the batteries are terrible. I've used the trimmer several years (buying numerous new batteries) but the shaft has now broken in 1/2 - still works but has orthopedic issues. B&D expects me to say "what the heck" and go buy another one - - - ain't happenin'.

Original review: June 9, 2016

I'm a 63 yr old male who spent 40 plus yrs in manufacturing sector and lifelong DIYS. Always relied on your products until now. Purchased a 18v weedwacker 3 seasons ago. I'm totally disgusted with batt life to the point I purchased another charger to no avail. They do not hold a charge, actually seem to lose charge. It's the most useless and annoying tool I've ever purchased. Everybody in my circle rolls the same. Please tell me you can rectify my situation or I have to spread the word. PARDON, I'm vision impaired, computer illiterate.

Original review: May 19, 2016

I just purchased a new Black & Decker cordless weed eater. I bought it Mon. I tried to weed eat a few areas and the battery soon went dead as a door nail. I figured because it was new I would charge it fully to be able to do the rest of my weed eating. It charged for the remainder of the day and up till the next afternoon. I thought well now that it is fully charged I can start my job again. I ran this thing 15 no more than 17 minutes and dead again. I charged it again overnight, ran it again for 15 minutes, dead. I have never had such a piece of crap in my life. I will NEVER EVER buy another Black & Decker product. Pure junk. I tossed the box but I'm still going to try and take it back to Lowe's. If they don't take it back it will be in my garbage. I'm done!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2015

I purchased a cordless drill on eBay, with a warranty. It went bad in a few weeks after purchase. I called Black and Decker, the person/woman I spoke to was very helpful and a replacement was at my door within a week. All my tools are Black and Decker, or Stanley. Have been all my life. Other than age, I haven't had a reason to complain. My tools have grown old with me.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

Received a B&D 36v lithium hedger as a gift. It's probably 3 yrs. old now. Loved it cause it was lightweight & could do all my work w/out charging it in the time frame I was working outside. All of a sudden, on a full charge, it just stopped working. I had to get the ole gas powered Maruyama out to finish the job. I then figured I will try charging it again since I couldn't figure out why it just stopped. It already was charged, but did it anyway. Still wouldn't work. Tried it daily... then 2 weeks later, seemed to work. Went out & it lasted about 2 mins. This is on a full charge.

B&D says it's out of warranty & claims they've never heard of this before. I said, "Really? Cause I am viewing a lot of complaints about your lithium products online." They just want to put their heads in the sand about this. Very disappointed because I preferred to use this vs the ole gas powered due to weight. Never buy B&D anything! Plus, do extensive research on products that last.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2015

3.6 Vold Cordless Screwdriver - I was very happy with this device for about a year, but then the expensive, dangerous Lithium Ion battery died unexpectedly. In B&D's defense, the fine print in the manual warns that leaving it on the charger for too long can shorten the battery life, so it's possible that I could have prevented this loss. But who wants to babysit every rechargeable appliance they own; most of the other such devices I own (including a Sears cordless drill) have smart chargers that don't need such babying. The fact that B&D chose to add a number of conspicuous features to this device, while leaving out an inconspicuous, but more important one confirms the reason for my reluctance to buy from them in the first place. I'll look elsewhere next time, and make a point of looking at the fine print to confirm that any rechargeable appliances I buy in the future automatically protect themselves from overcharging.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2015

The mower works quite well except for the fact that the grass catcher does not fit snugly, and consequently clippings blow out through the top and into the indentations in the machine. I am familiar with Black & Decker cordless mowers having owned one for at least 30 years and never had this problem.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2015

I bought a Black & Decker Cord Grass Trimmer GH 1000 Type 2 a few years ago, but my old trimmer still working until last week. I started use the "New" B&K trimmer. 2 minutes into operation the driving belt broke. I ordered and replaced the driving belt. After another 2 minutes of operation, the new driving belt broke again. I gave up. The B&D products have very poor quality. I sent a message to B&D from their website, asked my money back, but no response from B&D. Black & Decker has such a poor management, and customer service team. Never, never buy anything from Black & Decker. Don't waste your money.

Original review: June 23, 2015

Like all the other reviews I have seen recently in looking into this, don't buy Black & Decker. I have a 36v battery string trimmer with a XR360 battery. Well like everyone said, it began short cycling and taking longer to charge. I wanted to buy a replacement battery and guess what? Black and Decker has discontinued the 36V battery thereby making my string trimmer worthless. I will NEVER buy Black and Decker again. Pass the word.

Original review: June 15, 2015

Dewalt cordless batteries - I have purchased 4, 1 combo, then one nailer and all batteries do not last. Then purchased another drill gun for none are AVAILABLE IN OUR STORES. Replacement parts are unreasonable and this is just a battery scam. I have said what I know.

Original review: June 12, 2015

I bought a power drill and used it maybe a few times and it stopped working, so I sent it back to the company and never heard from them. It was past the warranty period by a few months.

Original review: May 30, 2015

I bought your battery powered mower and sadly it worked great the first year. Then the second year the battery said it was charged but the mower would not start. I went online to try and get help from the company, and no I mean absolutely no customer service. I finally found out I could buy another expensive battery at Canadian tire, so I forked out a big cost but loved the convenience of the mower so I bought it. Sadly here I am another year later and the battery is not working again. I will never buy from Black & Decker/Worx products every again.

Original review: May 24, 2015

Tried to use my B&D Electric (corded) leaf blower for I think the 3rd time ever. Dead as a doornail. Second one in 3 years to do the exact same thing. Considering that there are virtually ZERO critical parts to the FAN that is essentially the heart of a blower, I can only assume that the power cords have a critical flaw. Bottom line -- B&D products are dead to me. I'll buy Chinese, Russian, hell I'd buy a North Korean year tool before I'd give another penny to Black and Decker. They make crap.

Black & Decker Power Tools Company Information

Black & Decker
www.blackanddecker.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business