Black & Decker Steam Irons
Based on 32 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Black & Decker Steam Irons

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 25, 2017

59 Black & Decker Steam Irons Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 30, 2012

I always buy Black & Decker Irons. They usually last me about a year, then I'll buy another. This time I don't know the model # of it but it has the pretty light green window on top to see the water level. When I bought the iron, I noticed right away that I had to use the Heat setting on #6 (highest setting) - no problem as long as it steamed my clothes well. My husband went to iron his dress pants and received an iron print on his pants and so I'm thinking somehow he's at fault. Well, I looked at the iron and it had burnt dress pants on it, so I tried to lightly rub the burnt stuff on my ironing board cover and the iron melted it on contact. So I turned the setting down to between #1 & 0 to clean it with a wooden spoon and I heard cracking sounds and returned on time.

My room, then house, filled with smoke and I had to unplug it because the smoke was coming from inside the iron and I was scared because the iron continued to pop sparks after it was unplugged and it was smoking as though it was on fire inside. When I threw it outside/backyard on the grass, it still made sparking noises and continued to smoke on the ground. I'm disappointed because I didn't own this one for a year. I feel cheated and this iron could have caught fire and burned my house down. I sincerely have no confidence in this brand and I will be telling any and everyone I know about this iron brand - it's a safety and fire hazard! I want my money back.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2011

I bought two ICR500 iron from Macy's and both are not heating up. This China product has no quality control and I suggest every one not to buy these non-standard products. I will never buy Black and Decker products in my life.

Original review: April 23, 2011

I purchase three Black & Decker irons and all three broke within three months. I am very upset about this. I will never buy any more Black & Decker products.

Original review: March 12, 2011

I purchased a Black & Decker (B&D) "Classic" clothes iron from Wal-Mart. It stopped heating after about 3 uses. I returned it and got another within a month but the new one stopped heating. Both products were made in Mexico, absolutely garbage. I got my money on the last return and called B&D and told them what I thought of their crappy product quality and that I would never buy another product of any kind from their company ever again.

They weren't in the least concerned, of course. My mother bought a "Classic" iron about two months ago. By the second use, the temperature selector had come apart and detached from the iron. It could no longer select temperature to operate iron. She doesn't want the piece of crap or another one in it's place, but JCPenney doesn't take returns and give you a replacement (another reason to not do deal with them). They wouldn't credit her account because it had been longer than 30 days.

She had to cut off the plug and send it to B&D, and they would send her a new iron which she doesn't want.They wanted her to pay the shipping charges for the plug. She refused and they waived the shipping cost and sent her a return authorization slip with postage paid.

So now, we have this piece of junk iron for her to throw away or put in her basement. What is up with B&D? They were once a great company. I know the two people who formed the company are turning over in their graves right now. This is not the quality made product it once was.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2011

Today, 2/14/11, I plugged in our Black and Decker Iron Model # F1060, ironed a shirt and left the room. I kept hearing a crackling noise so I went into the room where the iron was and the room was filled with smoke. Smoke was rolling from the iron as it continued to make a crackling sound. Our house could have caught on fire if we were not close by. I was not surprised to see all of the other complaints that was on this sight for the same problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Black & Decker?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2010

I was ironing and suddenly noticed a flash coming from the iron while I was holding it. Then a puff of black smoke came out of the iron. I pulled the plug out of the wall. The iron now has a black suit coating. This iron should be recalled or someone is going to be seriously hurt. It is a Black and Decker Digital Advantage D2020 Type 1. Since I was unable to contact Black and Decker's customer service department by phone, I emailed a complaint on their website.

Original review: July 20, 2010

I received a Black & Decker Digital Advantage D2030 as a gift a couple of years ago. I'd picked out the particular model for its good reviews. The other night, I was ironing. I paused and had the iron on its heel. Suddenly, it started smoking from the top near where you put the water in. I unplugged it and the smoking subsided. I let it cool a bit, then did the procedure in the manual for cleaning it by holding the dial to the cleaning setting and holding the iron horizontal over the sink. The usual amount of scale came out. Then following the manual, I plugged it in and let it dry out.

Then I filled up the water reservoir and turned the setting up to 6 for cotton. However, after several minutes, the iron had not heated up. I tried other settings and it just flashed like it does when it's not ready. So it appears that the smoke was the heating unit failing. The iron is only a couple of years old and should not be failing. My previous Black & Decker iron was still working after about 20 years.

Original review: June 23, 2010

My mom had bought the F1060 Steam Advantage iron the week of 6/13/10 and said today (6/22/2010) she had turned it on to heat up, looked away for a minute to sew something then the smoke alarm in the sewing room went off. She also heard some crackling. The iron was spitting flames out of the faceplate. She grabbed it, unplugged it and raced out to the garage. Thankfully no major damage occurred other than to the iron itself.

Original review: June 10, 2010

I tried to find an area on the Black and Decker site to complain about my Digital Advantage Iron that quit working after two months. The site informs me that this product is made by Applica, so I went to their site. I wanted to fill out an online form, and they do not make one available. I do not have time to hang on a phone with this problem. There should be a way to fill out an online form. It seems like Black and Decker should also field complaints about any of the products carrying their name, rather than push the issue off to another company. It appears like they are trying to duck the issues.

Original review: April 6, 2010

I had purchased a steam iron of 'Black & Decker' make during May,2009. Within 7-8 months, it went off completely. Being in the warranty period of one year, it was given for repair/replacement. After 25 days, the repaired steam iron worked for 3-4 minutes and had flames from it. Now, the company is not taking any interest in the repair/replacement of steam iron. They are passing time on one pretext or the other. I had to purchase another steam iron immediately.

Secondly, going and arguing with the company is too harassing, time consuming, mental agony and irritating .It cost me a lot of time, travel, harassment, long wait, rude behavior, waste of time and reputation. It is not the compensation by way of money alone that is important but, to protect the consumer's right, so that the company may not take a customer for a ride.

Original review: March 6, 2010

On Feb 25th, I was getting ready for work and heard a popping sound. I went into my bedroom (where we keep the iron) and saw that the iron was making the sounds. Steam and/or smoke was coming out of the iron and it was very hot. The metal faceplate was bubbling. I immediately unplugged it and took it into my bathroom. By then, my room was full of smoke. I am so glad that I was home when this happened.

A few days later, I called Black&Decker to let them know what had happened and hopefully to alert them to a possible recall. Their customer service took my information and said they would send out a replacement, which surprised me because I didn't have my receipt or the box which they didn't even ask for. The iron was a First Impressions model ICR200 Type 1. I haven't received it yet but I'm a little hesitant to use it once it arrives.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2010

On February 26, 2010, I turned my iron on to iron a dress for a graduation. A few minutes later, I smelled something burning. My smoke detector went off and I looked up at the ceiling, it was filled with smoke. I noticed smoke billowing from the top of my iron and the faceplate was red as if on fire inside. The metal was melting. We unplugged the iron and ran it outside. Had we left our home for the graduation, our house would have burned down. This is a Black and Decker First Impressions (Blue and white in color) Cat No. ICR 200 type 1. The iron is about 2 years old.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2010

We purchased a Black & Decker iron a little over a year ago. We were ironing some clothes for work one morning and left the utility room to get dressed. While in the other room, the smoke detectors in the house went off. We didn't know why. When we went to investigate, smoke was filling the house. We found the iron sitting upright on the ironing board with flames going up the wall and hitting the ceiling. We were able to get the fire out, but molten metal from the iron was all over the room, the ironing board was wasted and the walls in the house were blackened by the smoke. I still have pictures of what is left of the iron, which isn't anything but a cord and a few burned wires. Of course our receipt and box were thrown away some time ago. We are not sure what can be done at this point.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2010

I bought a Black & Decker Digital Advantage D1650 iron about a year ago. I have had no prior problems with it. I just turned it on and set it to a low setting and got an Error message. This happened 3 times. When I turned it off and unplugged it, I got sparks shooting up from the plug strip. It seems that I am not the only person who has had problems with Black and Decker irons. Hopefully, this will be looked into. I'm glad mine didn't start a fire.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2010

I purchased the Black and Decker Digital Advantage Iron some time ago (maybe last year or year before) and this weekend it caught on fire. I was using it when it happened. I had set it down to go get some more clothes to iron and heard a loud steady beep. Initially I thought it was the iron but quickly found it was the power surge protector. I examined the iron and the displays were all gone.

So, I laid it flat on the ironing pad (thank goodness I didn't touch it) to see if it was still hot and it immediately burned the pad. Smoke was coming from all sides of it. I yanked the cord out of the the socket and sparks flew every where. Apparently, the power surge was not able to with stand the power of the charge because my desktop computer and monitor were both fatalities of the fire. CAT NO. D2000 TYPE 1

Original review: Sept. 18, 2009

Our Black & Decker Digital Advantage 1600 steam iron caught fire. Luckily, we were home at the time. It burned the handle and ironing board cover and burned through the plastic ironing board. Luckily, the fire was contained to the iron and ironing board. The whole house smells of burned plastic.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2009

I purchased a Black and Decker Home Seam Advantage Model F2200 iron on 9/8/09. I do not iron much, so my use was minimal. I had my heat setting at the lowest point in order to press off a new blouse which required a cool iron. As I was pressing, the iron got extremely hot quickly, and melted my new blouse I have yet to wear. I didn't notice this, until I tried to raise the iron. Then, the iron quit. No heat at any setting. So, I am now out the price of a new blouse and very upset with Black and Decker. My warranty happened to expire 9 days before this happened. So you know, they won't do anything about it.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2009

I purchased the Black and Decker Steam Advantage AS175 in 2007. On August 19, 2009, I stepped out of the room where I was ironing for no more than 5 minutes. My smoke detectors went off and I couldn't figure out why. I walked back into the room where I was ironing and flames were coming out of the iron. The iron was in the upright position so I couldn't figure out why it was on fire. Also, it has the auto shut-off feature, so I'm still confused about what happened. I checked Black and Decker's website and the iron is no longer available. Thank God!

Original review: July 25, 2009

I bought a Black and Decker Digital Advantage Iron. After two months of use, the error message came up and will not allow the iron to heat up and is leaking water. The operating manual mentions the error message but doesn't give you a solution. Please help.

Original review: June 26, 2009

I received a Black & Decker F1000 steam iron as a gift and it isn’t worth what I paid for it. The auto shut off feature doesn't work properly. It shuts itself off constantly, even while in the middle of ironing. It does not turn back on when you lift it as it is supposed to do. The only way to turn it back on is to unplug it and plug it back in. I have never finished ironing a garment without having to do this at least twice. It is almost impossible to see through the blue water reservoir so you don't know you're running out of water until its empty. The gift giver can't find the receipt, so I'm stuck with it.

Original review: May 1, 2009

I purchased the Black and Decker Digital Advantage Iron about 4 months ago. I have had no problems until today, the Iron began flashing "Error". I unplugged the iron, let it sit a while and plugged it back up, SAME PROBLEM.

I left wrinkled and went to work figuring sitting 10 hours should be enough, WRONG. This piece of junk iron is still flashing "ERROR". I pulled the manual out and began reading, there is no error message or troubleshooting section in the manual. I log on to Blackandecker.com as the manual tells you to do for "additional information" and there is no "additional information.

I began to search around the web and see numerous complaints regarding the same problems on new irons. With one person saying "take the iron apart there is a loose wire inside".

You call black and decker and get no satification or results.

Original review: March 10, 2009

I bought an iron, D1200, which is 'digital advantage' with a non-stick plate, about 6 months back. In about three months, the non-stick coating started coming off at certain spots staining the clothes I iron. Called the warranty to complain and it was a waste of time. There are many conditions they are laying out: 1. I have to pay for shipping and handling; about $8.00 2. I need send the end of the cable (about 2 inches) with the plug along with a copy of the bill, check for about $8.00 and a note giving explaining the issue 3. I need to send these item on my expense, with delivery tracking. 4. After I send these things, I need to call B&D again and explain the problem, give the tracking number of the mail sent 5. After recording the tracking number, they will wait for the delivery of the goodies I sent. 6. After examining the stuff I sent, and satisfied that requirements are met, they will send the replacement which will reach me in 7 to 10 business days! 7. Above all these, they don't carry the non-stick plate model any more, so they will send me a replacement without non-stick plate.

So, I need spend about $12, be without an iron for nearly two weeks, and get an inferior replacement. The original price I paid for this product is $29.00.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2009

I bought Black & Decker SteamAdvantage iron and afte 3 months it was leaking water from the bottom spouts. I took it back to store and got another one, thinking it was just one bad apple. I have been using the second iron for about a year now and it is now doing the same thing - water sizzles and leaks from the bottom spouts and the iron turns off and on at will. It really upsets me because I like the iron and I need the stainless steel plate and I hate the teflon ironing plates.

This iron should have lasted for at least 6 years. And it was expensive - about $40.00.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2008

Bought a Black & Decker Classic Iron F63D a few months ago at Walmart. Unable to fill Iron with water as it leaks out of the bottom. What can be done to correct this problem? I do not blame Walmart for the problem, that is why I am contacting Black & Decker directly.

No damage, just unable to put water in the Iron due to leakage.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2008

I purchased A steam Iron from a mall in dubai. I stay in india. Can u help me as my iron has stopped working Its a steam iron model noX850. I live in Mumbai & would like 2 know the service centres AS its not even 1 year that I have used it. thanks

Original review: Aug. 7, 2008

I have a Black & Decker Steam Advantage Cat No. AS145 Type 1. Which has just quit heating up. I have tried turning it off, removing the water and unplugging it, then leaving it overnight. Plugging it in turning it on to cotton setting to see if it would heat, but nothing helps. I have not had the iron very long and paid over $30. for it.

B&D irons I have had in the past lasted for years. In fact I have gone back to using the Sure Steam one I had previous to this one. I would B&D to replace this iron or repair it.

Original review: July 31, 2008

Stam Iron Model F416WHS shorted out sending a wave of fire and sparks across my kitchen.

Luckily, I was standing by the iron when the incident occurred. I unplugged the iron immediately. The only damage was a burned mark in my ironing board cover.

Original review: June 30, 2006

I recently bought a Black & Decker The Classic TM Steam.Dry Iron. The only number I could find was on the cord E74893. I'm not sure if this is the model number. This is the first time I used the iron and while ironing the third piece of clothing scalding hot water poured out of the water spout. The water burned my left hand. I did not keep the box; therefore, I can not take it back.

I am begging you to get this very dangerous product of the market, please.

My left thumb and forefinger was badly burned.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2003

I purchased a Black & Decker Quick N' Easy #365 iron from Walmart within the last year. While using the item recently I experienced burning pain in my right arm. I jumped back as sparks continued to fly from the area where the cord meets the iron (at the junction with the cord guard or shield). After unplugging the unit, I discovered that one side of the cord had snapped apart.

This is not an item which is abused. The area where it broke is where one would reasonably expect movement during regular use.

I incurred a small but painful burn on my right forearm which will most likely leave a scar. In addition, I had to get to the store and purchase a different iron.

Black & Decker Steam Irons Company Information