Black & Decker Steam Irons
  • 1 star
Based on 32 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Black & Decker Steam Irons

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 25, 2017

59 Black & Decker Steam Irons Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Black & Decker All Temp Steam Iron D6000 – I've owned this iron now for almost 2 years, decided to spend a little extra than normal as I tend to go through the cheap $10 ones every couple years. Ironing shirt, got through half then it just turned off. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, nothing. Tried a different outlet, nothing. Looked for a "reset" button or something, could not find one. Next step is I waited a few days and tried again: just a $50 paperweight. This lasted less than the cheapo brands. Think I will stop purchasing anything B&D again because of this, especially after reading all the very negative reviews. Would think a company would learn.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I purchased an XPress Steam Iron and attempted to iron a shirt this afternoon. After filling iron to appropriate level, plugged it in and waited for steam to come up. It did, and I was able to iron the front of my cotton shirt. The iron then turned off, stopped emitting steam, and I was not able to finish the shirt. Despite turning the dial off, unplugging then replugging iron, it's now deader than a door nail. I'm waiting for an email back from the company, but after reading the other reviews and problems with this iron, it's probably a good thing that it turned off! I was hesitant to purchase a B&D product (due to problems with other appliances in the past). This just confirmed my original thoughts on the company, and it will be the LAST appliance I ever purchase from them. Now off I go to post comments on the company's FB page.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 20, 2017

Only owned this Black and Decker Iron IR1350S for 6 weeks. Filler cap broke 2nd day. Rust formed. Iron stopped getting hot. Contacted Black and Decker and they referred me to the Main company Spectrum. Company wants us to cut the cord and send it back and pay $7.50 shipping. They also want us to pay for shipping for another Iron. We complained and now they said to send the cord plus shipping and also pay for the new Iron shipping cost. We have purchased so many it appliances from Black and Decker and never had an issue before. Seems the products have gone down in quality and care! Very unhappy customer!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I just recently, within the past three months, purchased the Black and Decker Steam Iron IR03V model and now it's not safe to plug in. It was working fine then the hot water splashes began while ironing became an issue but what was worse, my mother started to notice the cord being too hot when unplugging. I'd noticed it but thought it was nothing. Then I became concerned that something may be wrong with the outlet. Sunday, I had plugged it in, picked out clothes for church, then heard a popping sound from the other room. Home alone, I didn't know what it was but saw nothing out of the norm.

When I went to iron my clothes, I found the iron sitting in a large wet spot. The light was off and when I checked the cord, it was almost too hot to touch. I managed to get it unplugged and found black burn spots on the cord but the cord was not frayed. I think the popping sound came from the iron but still not sure. I managed to plug the cord in another outlet and used an extension cord and ironed my clothes for church. The cord seemed to have gotten hotter.

I stopped using it then afraid we'd have a fire. I am in an apartment on the 2nd floor, I don't want to have to panic and run for water to avoid a horrific and tragic apartment fire. After reading all of the other reviews about burst of flames from other irons, glad we had the old Shark iron still around. I paid about $15 for this iron and now I am afraid to use it. Black & Decker is supposed to be a good brand, around for decades now, so for that alone, I paid more - now I wish I had paid for a cheaper iron that probably would have lasted far longer. I am not pleased at all!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

While ironing clothes with my Black & Decker steam iron model #F976 Type 1 the electrical cord broke at the area of the iron handle and burned my wrist and the lower part of my right hand. The skin was burned off on the wrist, flesh showing and blisters on the wrist and hand. Since I am a nurse I knew how to clean and dress the burns. I did try calling Black & Decker and filling out a complaint online with my concern. This could happen to other consumers. They were to call me back but never did. Filing a complaint as I take this type of injury can be avoided if the product was checked more carefully in productions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Black & Decker?

Original review: May 27, 2016

I purchased a iron 2 months ago. It's no longer working. This is my second iron from them. The first stopped working after 6 months. I will no longer purchase from Black & Decker ever again.

Original review: May 3, 2016

I purchased my first BaD steam iron in 2010. That one lasted just over two years before it suddenly spewed water everywhere and stopped heating. I purchased a replacement since I was out of warranty in 2012. That one did the same thing a year later. Called customer service and was told to cut the end off the cord and send it in to get a replacement. Several calls later over a couple weeks with no iron (I am a sales person and have to have pressed clothes so to the dry cleaner), they send a replacement... A cheaper model with not the same features. More calls and they finally send an equivalent model. Here we are 3 years later and both of those have failed too. Will never ever buy another Black and Decker product.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

Just not happy with product. It has no turn on/off button? It has no way to store cord. Cord won't even wrap around iron. It irons ok but really? Who looks for an on/off button when purchasing? BEWARE. Look Closely.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2015

Black & Decker Steam Advantage Iron - Place steam iron F2200 on kitchen counter and iron started smoking, caught on fire and hot metal came off the iron and burnt 3 spots on the formica countertop before it could be cooled down and be removed to outdoors to further cool down. The kitchen countertop will have to be replaced.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

We purchased iron model f1000 over an year back. We used it rarely as we kept it in the basement room to use it as & when needed in hurry while another iron was upstairs in daily use. One day while using, it burned the cloth. Since then even when it is set for low temp. 2/3 it became very hot. A few days back again tried to use it at 3 putting it in standing position. Put the plug on. After few minutes saw smoke coming out from it. Removed the plug. After cooling down when again plugged in it did not heated & no indication light. Looks like it is to be thrown now in the garbage.

Original review: June 2, 2015

I purchased the classic iron because I love the older styles (I'm 76!). I didn't like the new, stream-lined irons I saw in the stores. I have this one about 21/2-3 years and yesterday it started leaking from the bottom. I only use it about twice a month. Needless to say, I'm very ANGRY! Now I have to go with one of those new-fangled irons. Just want people to know that such a nice iron will give out in a relatively short time. Too bad!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

First of all, I bought this iron about two or three months ago so it's fairly new. I was sewing yesterday - making a satin costume for my granddaughter. I had just pressed open the seams and placed my iron upright. Suddenly I heard a popping sound coming from inside the iron. I put my ear down closer to the iron in order to hear it better. It was the iron all right. I put the plate of the iron back down on the ironing board and it immediately burned an image of the plate onto the ironing board cover.

Then I realized the iron was getting very, very hot! I could feel the heat and I could smell burning metal. I quickly unplugged the iron and took it into the kitchen and set it in the kitchen sink to cool off. An hour later it was still warm to the touch. That was a very close call. If I hadn't been standing right there, the iron would probably have burst into flame. I will not be using that iron again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

B&D Stem Iron IRO8X - Purchased this iron end of May of 2014. Have use it maybe 10-15 times since then on light fabrics, worked great. Loved the large iron surface and ease of use. Now it's Nov. 2014 and it just stopped working for no reason. I did hear a popping sound and then the heat stop working. No heat coming out of it, the light comes on, but that's it. Tried the recommended fixes listed in the manual, nothing, still not working. Next step is to contact B&D.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2014

Purchased last summer. I use about twice a week. Today it's dead. I grew up with irons in the house that lasted it seemed like forever. What's going on here today. Crap for products. Black and Decker is supposed to be made right here but it's from china. We pay full price for an iron and what do we get after a year, JUNK! I am sick of Chinese crap but where else is anything made - surely not here. If they dropped the corporate tax maybe companies would comeback and make a good product AGAIN.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2014

I am a quilter who uses my iron daily and I always unplug my iron before leaving the room. I had turned off the iron but had not yet unplugged it as I was still in the room folding fabric. The iron started making a beep-beep-beep sound (like a smoke detector) and when I looked at it, smoke had begun to pour out the pointed tip. I immediately unplug it and put it outside to let the smoke clear. I later tried to plug it in again and the same thing happened. My iron is not that old (less than 2 years) but is used daily, sometimes for only a few minutes, sometimes for 1/2 hour. Very disappointed that this iron did not last longer as I too paid a lot of money for this iron, expecting it to last several years.

Original review: July 19, 2014

I have had a lot of the same problems as others who have reviewed the Black & Decker classic steam iron. Although I loved this iron at first, after a few short weeks it began making loud noises that sounded similar to someone with a very clogged nose. It was so noisy that I could not use it in the same room as my son after he fell asleep at night.

I called Black & Decker and asked them if they had any tips on how I could clean this iron thinking that maybe it was dirty or clogged. They acted as though they didn't understand why I was having this problem, but after reading the reviews on this site I don't know why they would seem so confused as I'm sure it has been brought to their attention!

The woman on the phone put me on hold for more than a few minutes searching for info on how to clean the iron. I was actually really surprised that she didn't have this information immediately. She told me that she could not find any information on how to clean this iron and said that all she could offer me was a replacement since the iron was only one month old and still under warranty.

I agreed to this until I found out that in order to receive my replacement I would have to spend even more money! She wanted me to cut the end of the cord off of the defective iron and mail it to her with a check for at least seven dollars (I can't remember the exact amount). After thinking about this I realized that I would probably have to buy a special envelope to mail the cord, and I would probably have to drive the package to the post office. All of those costs added up would come too close to the price I spent for the iron to make it worth my time. Needless to say I am very disappointed in Black & Decker as I have fond memories of an iron by Black & Decker that worked wonderfully when I was a teen. They just don't make their products like they used to!

Original review: March 8, 2014

I was ironing yesterday. I walk out of the room to accommodate the clothes in my closet, when I heard a popping noise that at the first I thought was normal probably the water inside of the iron. When I came back to the room the Iron was completely on fire all the handle and the inside mechanism was melted. I unplugged and ran for water. My house could end in a big fire.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2013

I've had my Black and Decker Steam Iron for quite a few years now, and it has worked fine up until recently. Twenty minutes into my ironing (iron was NOT idle), the power shut off (and light went out). Upon attempting to turn it back on (I tried the switch twice), huge sparks shot out from the base of the iron. It then caught on fire, and there was a blue flame also coming from the base cord. I unplugged it, then ran into a nearby bathroom to get water to extinguish the flame. There was no smoke, but the flame continued to burn after the iron was unplugged and even burned a hole right through the pad and metal ironing board. I'm sure my warranty is no longer in effect, but I will certainly not purchase a Black and Decker for my next iron. Our house could have caught on fire!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2013

I bought this iron a few months ago and it worked fine but then I went to go use it the other day and it wouldn't heat up. It would make the clicking sound like it was turning on but the green light wouldn't come on and it wouldn't heat up. I tried draining the water, wiggling wires, etc. and nothing. I went online to read about the product and see if there was a way to fix it and found reviews and the exact same thing happened to many other people. I thought Black and Decker was known to be a good brand which is why I chose this iron so I am extremely disappointed and now I have to go buy another iron a.s.a.p. to iron my clothes for work tomorrow.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2013

I purchased this iron about a month ago. It keeps turning off while I am using it and I have to unplug it and plug it in again to get it to work. Very annoying. I'm looking for a similar iron of better quality.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2013

At the end of August, I bought this iron. I used it exactly 4 times. The 5th time I turned it on, it made a popping sound and cut off. I tried unplugging, draining water, etc. It simply stopped working. Now I am reading reviews from a multitude of other consumers who had the exact same experience. I went online to check on the "2-year warranty". I am expected to send them more money so I can get another defective product. What a scam! Black and Decker knows these irons have a defect and will not refund or take this piece of crap off the market. Can't anyone stop this?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2013

I purchased this model because I needed a heavy Iron for my husband's work clothes and initially it was perfect! Then 2 months later, in the middle of ironing his weekly work clothes, it just stopped altogether and we're 40 min. from any store! Furious to say the least!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2013

I have had the iron for about a year and only used it about 10 times max. Not much on ironing these days. No warning, the iron was working one day and the next time I turned it on, NO HEAT. I paid $50.00 for this iron thinking it would last me the rest of my life anyway. But I got the shaft. NOT HAPPY!!!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2013

I have had the B&D iron for about 2 months and loved it. Then about 3 weeks ago, it started shutting off while I was in the middle of using it. I would be ironing along and suddenly the message "auto shut off" would appear in the window and the thing would just shut down. Frustrating to say the least. I have always trusted Black and Decker but my trust has been eroded!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2013

About seven months ago, when our iron of several years stopped working, I purchased a Black & Decker "The Classic" iron at Target for my wife. It worked okay until about a week ago. She noticed that the iron was no longer getting hot enough to iron anything. After a while, the green power light no longer went on. Now we just hear a click and the blinking red auto shut off light comes on, but the iron is not heating. We are used to our appliances, even Black & Decker ones, lasting much longer. It appears that our experience is mild compared to people who have had the unit catch on fire, causing damage to their homes. Still, it isn't pleasant to have a product become garbage after a short time. Has there been any thought of a class action suit being brought against B&D?

Original review: July 28, 2013

Black & Decker D2030 Iron - My husband was ironing a shirt when the iron flashed "cleaning" on the screen. It became so hot it scorched his collar, then spewed dirty water all over his shirt. Now the iron does not heat up at all. The iron is about 1 year old and has not had a lot of use. I looked online for a solution and found lots of complaints on this same issue. The clincher was a B & D employee commented that their irons are not made to be repaired! Get a new iron. Now I am steaming! What has happened to the days when an appliance lasts for decades? And it is said that Americans are such a throw-away society. I keep and use my things for years. I had purchased this product because of its good reviews. Never again will I purchase a B&D appliance.

Original review: July 1, 2013

I have a Black and Decker iron with very little use. Cord appears to be in excellent shape. Problem is the cord gets hot enough to burn you. I unplugged the iron; I DID not want a fire. What is wrong? Why does the cord get so hot within one minute of plug in?

Original review: June 11, 2013

Black and Decker Digital Advantage D2030 - This past Friday, I ironed my clothes and went to work leaving my son sleeping. At around 9:00, he woke to the smoke alarm. When he went into the next room, the iron was on fire. Luckily, he was home from college; otherwise, the house would have burned down since no one would have been in the house for another 3 hours! As it was, the only damage other than the iron melting was to the ironing board, scorch marks on the floor, and some minor burns on my son. We were very lucky.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2012

I purchased a Digital Advantage a few years ago, but only used it a few times. Now when I turn it on, it continuously beeps and will not heat up. I see that these same complaints are posted all over the internet, yet Black & Decker does nothing about it and continues to sell bad products. Granted irons aren't expensive, but having to replace them frequently is not good for the environment. How many of their irons are filling our landfills?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2012

I bought this Black and Decker Classic iron 6 months ago. I really haven't been using it a lot. Now I'm trying and it keeps shutting off. I can't iron or complete my sewing project. I will have to buy a new iron. Really, in this economy who wants to waste money?

Black & Decker Steam Irons Company Information