2. Homeowners
  3. Bathroom Remodeling

4.4/5 (233 ratings)

About Bath Fitter

Bath Fitter is an acrylic bathtub, shower enclosure and tub-to-shower conversion company. The company’s bathtub refinishing products are custom molded to fit over existing fixtures for quick and clean bathroom renovations that last a lifetime. The company can complete installations in just one day.

Pros

• Next-day service
  • Demolition-free remodeling
  • Lifetime warranty on installation

Cons

• Regular cleaning required
  • Design consultation needed for quote

Bottom Line

Homes and commercial bathrooms in need of a quick remodel benefit from Bath Fitter’s next-day service and fast installation. Special care is required to maintain the new bathtub or shower, but it provides an affordable upgrade.

Bath Fitter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bath Fitter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bath Fitter?

Original review: March 17, 2009

On Dec. 22 of ’08, I agreed to have my bath walls and shower faucet replaced. But the repairman came on 1/23/09 and stated that the water needed to be shutoff. I in turn called the manager to find out if this could be done and how. The manager after investigation replied that the water value was broken and could not be fixed at this time. I called up Bath Fitters to see about how to cancel my order - and wishing to pay a cancellation fee. They in turn requested $500 for doing nothing. My credit card is being charged for said amount.

Original review: March 6, 2009

I had a shower unit installed on 7/2/04. Since that time, the base has cracked 6 times. Each time Bath Fitters has come out and replaced it - including one time they replaced the entire unit - but I cannot determine why this keeps occurring and I am getting tired of sitting around waiting on the installers to complete the work. I have tried to find out the name of the CEO/President of Bath Fitters, but am having no luck. If someone could provide me that information, I would be very grateful.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2009

This is in response to my 2/23/09 complaint regarding Bath Fitter. Per my agreement with Frank, the sales manager, I am retracting my initial complaint. They contacted me after reading my complaint online & offered to renegotiate our contract to keep us happy. As of today, we have a new contract in place & I am trusting that they will do an Excellent & Professional job for us without any problems. I will keep you posted.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2009

Dear Mrs. East Pittsburgh:

We can understand why the comments one often sees online can give you the wrong impression about Bath Fitter. But we'd like you to know that over the past 25 years, Bath Fitter has transformed the bathrooms in hundreds of thousands of homes to the delight of their owners. And that whenever any customer in any part of the country has an issue with our products or our service, we see to it that their concerns are addressed promptly and completely. Rather than taking the word of a noisy few, we would suggest that you ask your local Bath Fitter franchisee to give you a list of his references so that you get a more complete picture of the kind of honesty and service that are the hallmarks of Bath Fitter.

Please feel free to write to us at info@bathfitter.com and one of us will be happy to call you to answer your questions. We look forward to being of service to you and your family.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2009

I would not recommend using Bath Fitters to anyone. They are very slick about talking you into buying & charge way too much ($4900.00 for a shower), nothing fancy. Then when you try to cancel the job, they tell you they are entitled to 50% of the job or $2450 for doing absolutely nothing. When I called to find out the cost to cancel the job, I figured it would be the deposit of $900, which I didn't seem to have a choice about giving them, not $2450 (50%). They count Saturday & Sunday as BUSINESS DAYS. SO when I canceled on Tuesday, which would have been 3 NORMAL BUSINESS DAYS, they said TOO LATE. So now I either get ripped off for $2450 or I let them do the job, which worries me even more after reading some of the horror stories from other people about all the problems they have had after having the work done. As of now they are still trying to talk me into doing the job instead of canceling at zero percent interest for 12 months. If you are thinking about Bath Fitters as the way to go, I would very strongly advise against it. I'm concerned about our finances since it now sounds as though my husband may be getting laid off. We will not be able to afford to pay for it.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2009

This is a follow up to my previous post. The manager of the local Bath Fitter store in Watchung personally came to my home to complete the install. He was professional and polite and was eager to make things right, which he did. They did fix the problem.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2009

While their product may be good, our installation and service was horrendous. First, the salesman measured the tub wrong, which was only noticed after installation began. While the install took one day, it was a 14-hour day. The spigot on the tub was not installed correctly and when the water was turned on, it gushed out from under/behind the spigot. This was blatantly obvious when the water was turned on. It seems to me that the installer really just did not care at all to leave such an obvious problem.

We could not use the tub/shower. Since the install was on a Thursday and we noticed this on Friday, they could do nothing about it until the following Monday thus the 1-day install took 4 days in reality. I also remarked to the installer after he fixed the spigot that it leaks after the water is turned off. He said, "Don't worry; that is just residual water from the shower head." Now, days later, one can see a brown mark in our new tub from where the spigot leaks.

I am still waiting for a call back from Bath Fitters so they can come complete a proper install but it seems they don't like to return phone calls once they have cashed your check. I may resort to getting another plumber to fix what they could not. Btw, this was Bath Fitters in Watchung, NJ under the operation of Gorman Plumbing out of Freehold.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2009

We purchased our house in 2007. The previous owner had the shower in our master bathroom done by Bath Fitter two months before we moved in. They didn't even line up the unit they installed with the existing drain line. Just two days ago, we noticed the ceiling starting to leak in our daughter's room which is right underneath the shower. We called a plumber to look at the shower and they confirmed that the shower liner that Bath Fitter installed didn't line up with the drain, which caused the leak in our infant daughter's room. Because the liner didn't line up with the drain, there was also a lot of black mold built up in the drain. We had the plumber remove the old shower unit and install a new one because of the leak. We didn't wait to call Bath Fitter.

When my wife did call to speak to someone about our problem, they said that there was nothing that they could do because the previous owner had the work done and that the warranty would not transfer to us. Then they also said that since we had the liner that they installed ripped out, they couldn't do anything. All of this could have been prevented had they lined up the drain! Do the job the right way to begin with!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2009

I had Bath Fitter completely cover old tile in the tub area and walls in a small bath. All of the work performed was done very well and exceeded my expectations. I will admit that after reading so many negative comments on this site that I had become somewhat skeptical and even considered forfeiting the quite expensive fee to get out of the contract. However, not only was the saleslady very nice and thorough, the installer did a fantastic job. They have been in business for 25 years now and I do not think this would be possible if they were doing substandard workmanship. I also think that some problems may arise when customers want to reuse their existing fixtures that maybe don't seal the way they should (i.e. I had purchased my own tub fixtures and was alerted by the installer that the tub drain he would provide was much better than the one I purchased). I could clearly see this and was told by him that it could cause problems in the future.

Just be aware that all of the posts are only opinions and are subject to how well consumers care for the product, etc. Hope this will help someone who might get cold feet.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2008

Eureka and congrats to Bath Fitter! I had a Bath Fitter tub installed in 2004. In 2008, it started to separate from the wall and water seeped in under and collected behind the drain, keeping water from draining easily. I came to this site to find out if there were similar problems. I called the company and left a message on Thanksgiving. Within hours, I got a call back! I told them I was shocked, but the call had gone to Canada's call center. They called the South Florida office, and the next day they called back! I made an appointment. They came out at exactly the time they said and diagnosed the problem (at the time I didn't even know what was going on with it). They drained the water, reconnected and re-caulked the walls, AND put in a new drain, since mine was filled with long hairs from my shoulder-length hairs. (Hmm, how'd that happen?) I was and am completely satisfied and came back on this site to make a great report to add to the bad ones. Very nice Bath Fitters!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2008

Prior to selling our home, we had Bath Fitter come in and did a complete remodel. From the salesman to the installer, they were courteous and professional. They arrived when they said they would for the initial appointment and on installation day. The installer did such a great job and even left my bathroom spotless when he was done. After researching other alternatives and competitors like Re-Bath, we found Bath Fitter to be the most economical. After my bathroom was done, I found it to be very easy to clean and it always looked brand new! When we put our home on the market, it drastically increased the value of our home. Thanks to Bath Fitter and their wonderful staff!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2008

We had a tub and wall system installed by Bath Fitter a little over a year ago. The installation went well and we have been pleased, until now. We recently found out that water had gotten between the liner and the existing tub. We have called repeatedly for over a week and keep getting a runaround about getting it fixed. No one has called us back even though every time we call them, they promise someone will call us back. No one will actually set a date for it to be repaired although they have told us not to use the tub. We have a large family and trying to use one bath is really not good. They say they have a Lifetime warranty but with service like this, it is really worthless.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2008

We sincerely apologize to Douglas of Richlands, NC! Apparently, the Bath Fitter franchise closest to his residence had a communication problem in regards to the schedule. They have since made several attempts to call Douglas to reschedule the appointment, but they did not get a return call. We invite him to call us at 1-800-892-2847 and we will do all we can to get him in touch with the local office.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2008

Do a bathroom in a day? They couldn't even show up for a scheduled estimate! Not even a phone call. Look elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2008

This is in response to the many complaints I see here regarding Bath Fitter. I am a partner in a competing franchise and feel that Kristen of Streamwood, IL (post of 11/21/07) makes some good points about home improvement companies in general. It is always difficult to find good employees and in the remodeling business it can make or break a company. Unfortunately Bath Fitter has been able to continue making a profit despite outrageous turnover and customer dissatisfaction because they market well, underpay and undertrain their workers, and charge whatever they can get away with for one of the most cheaply-manufactured and poorly designed products in the acrylic business.

There is no way you can expect to have good results using a labor-mill approach, but yet Bath Fitter continues to survive. How many horror stories we have heard and to now find this website forces me to realize this is no nightmare but reality of a business model that benefits few but the owners (as long as they can get away with it) and the customers who happen to get installers whose work ethic won't allow them to give up. When the phone rings here we smile... but it must be a horrible experience for any honest Bath Fitter employee in the outfits referenced here to have to deal with calls from customers. We, too, have disclaimers on the back of our contracts. I can't recall exactly what they are though. We so rarely have to get into a disagreement with a customer.

I can't believe the avoidance of responsibility I have read in these complaints. A customer should NEVER have to pay for damage caused by installers... yet that seems to be Bath Fitter's unwritten (or could it be actually written?) policy. The installers should be trained well enough to protect the customers home and repair or generate a service call for another industry professional if needed. I am so sick of the bad reputation contractors have and that ethical contractors have to overcome. Ahh… I can't stand marketing. The comments I hear about the Bath Fitter sales people here make me sick, but what can I do? People respond to high-pressure and sales tricks.

Why am I even writing this? Why don't I just tell our sales people to add this web page link to their sales package? It is because this is not about Bath Fitter alone. It is about ethics. I applaud this site for serving people and hope it grows and becomes a force for change. When I did a Google search for Bath Fitter, this was link #2. I was shocked at first, then angry… and that is why I write this. I am NOT happy that Bath Fitter has such outrageous complaints (enough to be seen as a trend according to this site). There is a suffering customer behind each one, and maybe quite a few franchises whose honest efforts may suffer. I am hopeful that this site has resource links and I will now check them out. Hopefully I will see DEMAND CUSTOMER REFERENCES somewhere in big bold letters. It is one of the few ways you can judge a company or particular franchise.

I don't expect this to get posted, as it is not a valid customer complaint... just a valid human one – LOL. If it does, my sympathies to those who don't get justice, and my advice to those researching - as above: GET CUSTOMER REFERENCES. You may find your local Bath Fitter outfit is great. This is a place for COMPLAINTS, after all... Consequences: Describe the economic or physical damage that resulted. Consequences? The result is bad for everyone, in general. A bit of humor to ease the pain ;)

Original review: Nov. 5, 2008

Ordered a shower 14 Aug 08. Was told 3 weeks for delivery. Was also told that all of their showers were manufactured in their own factory which assured quality. Was 6 weeks before they came to install. The door wouldn't fit and had to be reordered. Was told about 1 week. Two weeks later they came back to put in the door. It didn't fit. Called to complain and after negotiation was told we would get a $500 deduction and they would give us a gift card. It is now going on 3 MONTHS since we placed the order for replacement in 1 day and still no door. Called manager Keith but he did not return my call. I am not a happy camper! Glad I haven't paid yet.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2008

I too was thinking of using Bath Fitters until I read the reviews. An idea I'd like to pass on to everyone is a Bathtub refinisher. I called a local plumber who referred me to a glazier. The gentleman came in, removed my shower doors, taped off the walls and faucets, sanded the fiberglass surround and tub and sprayed it with a glaze. It looks brand new! So far it has held up perfectly and looks great. So my suggestion to all of you is to look into having your tub and surrounds reglazed. Look in the yellow pages for tubs glaziers or call a local plumber for a referral. Oh by the way, total cost was $250.00 per tub (I had two done). Good luck to you all.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2008

I had a new shower installed in my master bathroom on 7/3/08. About 2-3 weeks after the side wall was coming off. They came out and banged and pushed on the wall, they it was ok. Then a week later the same thing happened and the glass doors would not slide; something came loose (I guess). Then they came back out and said they would have to replace the whole unit so they took measurements. Then a few weeks went by then they called and said they were ready to install the new bathroom. They came and installed the new unit and a week later the side wall was coming off again. They came back out and said they never had this problem before. They said someone would be calling me and it’s been a week tomorrow and no phone call yet. I wish I could have my old unit put back in. I paid almost $7000.00 for crap. I want my money back. Just a lot of stress because of the me we put out and the poor workmanship and product we got.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2008

I had a new shower installed in my master bathroom on 7/3/08. About 2-3 weeks after the side wall was coming off. They came out and banged and pushed on the wall, then it was okay. Then a week later the same thing happened and the glass doors would not slide. Something came loose (I guess). Then they came back out and said they would have to replace the whole unit so they took measurements. Then a few weeks went by, then they called and said they were ready install the new bathroom. They came and installed the new unit and a week later the side wall was coming off again. They came back out and said they never had this problem before. They said someone would be calling me and its been a week tomorrow and no phone call yet. I wish I could have my old unit put back in. I paid almost $7000.00 for crap. I want my money back.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2008

They came back and fixed the leak that ruin my ceiling because they didn't seal the bath tub. That was a year ago . Also they failed to paint my ceiling, for the fact that wanted me to pay for it. At the same time I showed them that the mold was coming thru the wall. They sealed it. Well here I am a year later the mold is coming heavily thru the wall. And the tub is getting gross. I want my money back now to get someone in to repair this the correct way.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2008

I had an appointment with Bath Fitters last month and a gentleman came out, I believe his name is Paul. Paul first of all seemed in quite a hurry to get this appointment over with so he could go home. Paul explained the different styles and colors available to do the job of the bath/shower area of the bathroom. Paul then stated there is a deposit of $500 and that the full remaining payment, of nearly $3200, is due at time of delivery of materials.

I had asked if there was a payment plan available and Paul stated there was and would have someone in the office mail out the application for her to fill out. I then put the $500 deposit on my credit card. I didn't hear anything more from Bath Fitters until the day they called to schedule the date of September 24th for delivery. I said to Michelle that I was waiting for info about the payment plan. Michelle said it wasn't stated anywhere on the contract or Paul never mentioned it to her either.

When it came, I opened it up. I was shocked to find out it was not an in-house payment plan application, but in fact a credit card application! Paul and Michelle never referred to it as a credit card form as only an application. I called Michelle the very next day to tell her I am NOT interested in filling out a credit card application. Michelle told me that is the only way they do payment plans.

Michelle also stated they already processed my credit card for the materials and since it was beyond the 3 day grace period to cancel the deal from date of signing the contract, I will not be getting my $500 deposit back. I then asked Michelle to speak to her manager/boss to see what can be done from this point forward. Michelle said she would ask and get back to me. I waited a few days and finally called Michelle back and was told she would get back to me yet again! I am as of yet to hear from anyone from Bath fitters since then!!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2008

I am very happy to report that Bath Fitter is standing behind their product. My parents and I met with Dale, who did a fabulous job of making time for us and listening to our serious concerns. He acknowledged that errors were made and that they will provide my parents with a new tub and install the wall liners at the initial price my parents agreed to.

Dale was very professional and understanding about the situation my senior-aged parents were in. The products should be installed within a couple of weeks, and I will update my report based on the outcome of the actual installation, but based on my experience with Dale, I am far more optimistic about a positive outcome.

They will give my parents their bath tub back!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2008

Horrible work was done by Bath Fitters on my parents home. My mom contracted Bath Fitter to install a tub and wall liner in their main bathroom for $3500. This is a high price for this amount of work. A Bath Fitter employee measured the area with a laser. The employee measuring assured my dad that the liner would fit like a glove.

When it came time to install, a number of weeks later, the installer (who told my dad that he had been working for the company for 4 weeks) took the existing lino off the wall and some of the plywood that was behind, replaced the faucet/shower controls and put drywall up, without the existing shims that had been installed behind the original plywood. This caused the drywall to be recessed in relation to the surrounding wall. In order to bring it back flush with the surrounding wall, he used 5/8 thick strips of soft putty spaced about 8 apart on top of the drywall, which was supposed to support the flexible plastic liner. There is no way soft putty will properly support the thin, flexible wall liner.

Then, he said there was a problem with the tub, and needed to call his supervisor. The supervisor came on site and told my dad that the tub needed to come out 1/2 in order for them to install the liner. Maybe they would have caught that when they measured? According to the supervisor, this would require removal and replacement of the tub with a new one, for an extra 700-1000 dollars. He also said that the existing wall was too flexible. He said it was 1/4 plywood. My Dad said it was actually 3/8 plywood. After hearing that, the supervisor didn't say anything. He then said they would have to reschedule the work since the job scope had changed. He said he would call back at 8:30 the next morning.

That was over a week ago. He also told my dad that he had two options, either pay them the extra money to finish the job, or cancel the work and they would leave the job as is. They are trying to pressure my parents into forking out more money for nothing. My parents now have a bath tub that is totally unusable and the walls are ruined.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2008

The beginning of June, I called Bathfitters in Stoneham, Ma. about my bath fixtures. I had an installation completed in August of 2005 and paid $580 for brass tone fixtures with my order of tub, wall coverings. The fixtures are discoloring and the brass covering is completely of of the tub ring. It appears that the staining of the fixtures is working it's way on the round disk in the tub, and also on the fixture which you move for shower to bath. I called the Company and was told that the fixtures are not there responsibility and I should call their supplier.

I didn't feel comfortable with this response. I went with Bathfitters because I thought it was a National firm and wanted to deal with a Company that I thought would stand by the product. I was told by the salesman that everything was guaranteed. My installation was over $4000, but felt secure with the product and the installation.

I explained to the woman that I was dealing with in the Stoneham office, that I didn't feel that I should deal directly with their supplier, that they should have a better vantage position, after all this is the Company they use and the product that they install. I asked if I could speak with the owner. Still not hearing from anyone, I continue to call, leave messages. The same person calls me bacek (never giving me her name, or anyone else's name), she explains to me the owner said if I want to purchase the fixtures that are flawed again, they would be happy to install them. After all, your installation is three years old.

I certainly don't expect the fixtures to to stain and wear out in less then three years! Again I asked if the owner would call me. Now I noticed a gray stain in the connor of the tub, looks like something is coming through the enclosure. Again, I left messages requesting the owner to call, after a few days, the same lady calls back. I asked if someone would please come to my house to at least look at fixtures and the tub. I was told, that someone would be out as soon as they have a job in Revere. They are in Stoneham less they 20 miles, but she told me that is not how they work, when they have a job in Revere they will call me. I asked if they had any work coming up in Revere, no. I would have to wait until they get an order for work, as long as that takes. I told her I was going to contact the Coporate office, and also was thinking of calling our television station which has a very very popular Help me Hank line, her response was a snicker, and she said you call anyone you want, when we get a job in Rever, we'll call you, click!!!! She actually hung up. I am so disappointed. My husband and I checked other places, and certainly could have had this work done less expensively, but foolishly thought this would be a better choice.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2008

I bought a tub for Bath Fitter a few months ago, they had some serious trouble trying to get one that fits. They came to try to install it more than 3 times. Finally they got it right. But I realized that they tub they put in was not a bath fitter tub it was bought from lowes and is american general. I paid 1000 for a tub i could have bought myself for 200!

The tub is fine I just feel I got robbed. And I don't want this to happen to someone else.I oviously over paid for a tub that supposedly was made by bathfitter which is what there motto is saying they manufacture it and give a lifetime warranty i feel like this was alse advertizement.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2008

Back in Dec05 I had Bath Fitter installed. I paied more than $2500 and had to have them come back to re-chaulk twice!! Both times they told me I had to pay $75 for it. I thought this was a life time guarantee? Now again, my tub needs to be re-chaulked! It looks worse now than when I had tile. Ive called several times and was told that someone would get back to me.

Im still waiting! I might not even wait anymore, I have had it! Im just going to call the BBB. I wouldn't recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2008

Not sure how Bath Fitters get away with false advertisement but it is a shame.They say about how cheap they are and the say 50% saving over others. Well I had an estimate done today for a shower not a bath and shower but just a shower. The price was $5,950. 6 thousand for a replacement shower they got to be out of their minds. Trust me they will never see my business what a joke.

Original review: July 23, 2008

I would like to report that Bath Fitter has made good on its promise and a check for $25.00 has been received by the folks who referred the company to us. We have always been satisfied with the work performed by Bath Fitter and only wish they had responded in a more timely manner to our requests for the referral fee.

Original review: July 16, 2008

In response to my initial complaint, Bath Fitters regional manager Scott Kennedy called to try and solve my problems. Within 24 hours of the initial complaint's internet post, the Cary office called with a date and time to fix the caulking job around the tub (which is what should have done in the first place instead of telling me to stick duct tape over the part that lacked caulk). The lady in the office then stated the manager wanted to speak with me. He asked about the complaint that was posted and wanted to make the situation better.

Bath Fitter came out to my house the following week on I believe it was 7/10/08 and caulked the area that needed to be done. The regional manager from Charlotte was here and the another gentleman from the Raleigh area. The regional manager stated the office lady was just looking out for my best interest when she told me to put duct tape over the area and I stated that's what lit my fuse, if she would have given me an appointment time right off the bat, I probably wouldn't have written the first complaint. After all the problems I had with the intital installation and the rudeness of the installer when they had to come back after Thanksgiving, being told to put duct tape over the area got me rather upset.

The regional manager also offered a few free items, for my retraction of the complaint (these items were just small upgrades from what was already purchased). He also offered to take out the shower doors that were over $725 including tax plus installation fee to make my bathtub seem larger but did not offer to refund the amount paid for the doors.

Bath Fitters arrived at my home today 7/15/08 to fix a few more of my issues. The problem still remains they can't/won't do anything about the tub being so narrow and that is the main issue. They stated the tub I have is the largest style they carry. Another is that it drains too slowly, with water filling up the bottom of the tub over the tops of my feet during a shower and the bottom of the tub remains wet over 12 hours after usage unless it is dried out by hand with a towel.

All in all they did their best to make me happy but I'm still stuck with a tub that's too small and I'm not happy with. The majority of Americans are somewhat overweight....

Original review: July 12, 2008

When we were discussing the contract for our installation, the sales representative asked how we heard about their company. We explained that we had been referred by another customer. The sales rep said that person would receive a $25.00 referral check. We provided all the information, including name, address, where the installation was made. We also told him the customer had recently sold the property, citing that the sale price was increased by the addition of the new bathroom. We gave him the new address of the people who referred the company to us.

Our installation was done in early March, 2008.

No check was ever been sent to them.

We called the sales rep and he once again confirmed that the referring customer should be receiving a check.

We later followed up with Bathfitter, going to the Sharonville location, taking a typed form with all this same information for them to use to follow up.

They told us the home office had to take care of this. We asked them to call us with an update.

To date, we have not heard from Bathfitter and the check has not been sent to the referring customer.

Bathfitter wanted full payment when our installation was completed. We did this. Yet, they have failed to live up to their promise of issuing this check to the referring customer.

We do not approve of this business pratice and think something should be done to protect other consumers.

No harmful consequences - just dishonest business practice.

Bath Fitter Company Information