Backyard Discovery

Compare Backyard Swings and Playsets

Research top Backyard Swings and Playsets recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I selected this brand because it was the best value for what was included. It was very inclusive and something to invest in for the next many years. It has numerous activities to help a child grow. Plus, it was large and my child could grow with it over the next numerous number of years. It was complex but worth the effort. I like the construction of the unit itself and how sturdy/durable it is. I am reassured that my child will be safe and not be injured on the said unit. Easy maintenance too.

I like that this is more than just a swing set. One of my favorite features is the playhouse and climber. It encourages discovery in a safe, non threatening construction. I comparison shopped online and found that it was best priced at Kmart. I had it sent to the store for pick up. The assembly was tedious and I would have rather had it done, but I was trying to save money while providing for my grandchild. Also I would have liked a longer slide and additional play features for less money. I have seen models that include teeter totters and trampolines. I also did not like having to put it together, but I knew that when I ordered it.

I selected this brand as it was a promotional sale. My family has had good past experiences with the swing set brand and I felt that it was a high quality product. I like that the playset was able to be upgraded with different slides or swings as my kids get older. This makes me want to keep it for a longer time. But I dislike that the swing set instructions were not the best. There were many pieces which could be installed upside down and would cause problems and this made putting it together harder than I thought.

I love the variety. It has plenty of different things for my son to play on. I am very fond of the swing, the slide and also the fort for my little king. My son absolutely loves it and he doesn't want to stop playing on it. He especially enjoys the castle part and he will be up there all day. If my son loves it so do I. It has everything a child could possibly want to play on. I'm completely and positively happy and satisfied I got what I paid for with the swing set. I got my money's worth.

I selected Backyard Discovery because a close friend of mine has one and my kids can't get enough of it when they are over there. The installation wasn't bad. I am a home builder, so I have plenty of experience. Also, they are quality and great products that are well worth their prices, especially if you install it yourself rather than having to pay for someone else to install it. I also love that you can basically accessorize whichever set you purchase and there are plenty of options to choose from. So you design your kids' playset to what you want and/or they want. They love the rock wall, slides, and swings. It definitely keeps them active and busy for hours at a time, rather than sitting inside watching the television, playing video games, or surfing the web.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Backyard Discovery?

I bought Backyard Discovery online and had 30% off sale. Great price for the play set. The purchase process was easy and my order was accurate, no pieces were missing or scratches or damaged. It took the exact time for the product to deliver to my house but came later that day. So we had to wait till next day to assemble and it took us almost the whole day but it was worth it. It looks modern and fun and worth every dollar I spent on it and I will recommend it. I like that it is a complete set. It includes three swings and two slides and sand box plus it has other activities like play clock to teach the time and also has a monkey bars. It has a plastic merits and I like the colors.

My kids to spend most of their time playing in it. But I honestly didn't like the size of it because it is too big or I think my yard is kind of small. Takes some time to clean it and in the hot weather the material of the playset gets hot very fast and that prevents my kids from playing on it. Also it is not for the whole family to enjoy it. Other than that, it is fun, easy, and great.

It was recommended by a friend and my daughter loves going to their home to play. So we decided to purchase our own and it was the best play decision I have made for my daughter. She always loves playing on it and it never gets old. She loves how the playhouse is attached to the multiple swings and slides. Plus numerous children play on it at once. The wood is high end and very good quality. The swings and slide gives a playground feel too. The play set is well constructed and I have the peace of mind that children are safe who play on it. I would recommend this to any family with children.

I selected several play sets for my children over the years. The first was a simple metal play set when my oldest darling daughter was three. The straps were covered in plastic and it was the cheapest one we could afford at the time. It lasted for a fairly long time but my oldest darling daughter outgrew it very fast. It lasted for a fairly long time but my oldest darling daughter outgrew it very fast. We purchased a wooden one in hopes that it would be more sturdy than the previous one. The second was when my youngest was three as well. We chose Backyard Discovery because of the positive reputation of the company. I work at a home improvement store so I got a discount as well.

I looked online before purchasing the swing set, reading through many reviews that people posted online. Ranging from how safe the structure is, how easy it is to build and how their much their children enjoyed playing on the swing set. All of this was done before I decided on which swing set I was going to purchase. Backyard Discovery products are made of high quality material and the build quality is very solid. I feel safe putting my children there and letting them play on it without fear of them falling off and injuring themselves on the swing set. It also promotes a healthy lifestyle for my kid and makes them happy. But I dislike how high up the swing is. In case a kid fell from the swing however unlikely. It could hurt a lot and cause a lot of pain and trauma to the kid. Results in potentially serious injury. Otherwise it was great and relaxing.

A few of my friends have Playsets from Backyard Discovery. Purchasing was very easy and I ordered off Amazon. Installation was not too bad and it helped having two people to assemble it. The quality is great and I love that it covers a large age range. It also provides hours of endless fun! I love that it has multiple levels plus the play house, crow’s nest, swings, slide, monkey bars. My kids love their playset including our picky 8 year old plus their friends, cousins and our neighbors too. It's an amazing outdoor playset and gets a lot of use.

I picked this one because my little girl fell in love with it at Home Depot. Everything needed is included and marked fairly well. Just lay everything out and get yourself familiar with each piece and the pre-drilled hole were great, only had to drill out two like most pre drilled projects. Their instruction don't make much sense. They need to take one home themselves and TRY to put it together the way their instruction say. I will suggest that when you are ready to put it together you have ALL DAY to do it and yes you might even need a beer or two before you're done.

Backyard Discovery has a good company reputation. I found a perfect Backyard Discovery playset at Walmart and it was delivered to us free of charge. I had 5 family members assemble it on a Saturday afternoon in January 2017 and the assembly was very easy and quick. It only took us 3-4 hours to assemble because we followed the directions. The playset has activities for all ages and kids just love the playset. It has slide, swings, monkey bars, chip up bar and a climbing rope. It's also very easy to care for and to keep clean. And the colors in the playset are great. But the playset rusted too easily. The paint does not seem thick enough or formulated to prevent rust. More coating to prevent rust would be nice. I wish the playset was a bit taller too, by 1-2 feet, and was designed better to be solid and not have any chance to tip over sideways when kids swing or hang on parts of the playset.

Backyard Discovery is very sturdy and heavy. Where we live is windy and we need something solid and this is perfect. I also like the colors and it matches our fence and our color scheme. It was very easy to understand the directions and it was also easy to assemble. It was also our first choice and we liked the way it looked. It really is very great! We are also big fans of quality and we feel like this is something our children and grandchildren can play on for decades. Our kids are older now but the grandkids will be old enough to play on it soon enough!

When I first started looking for a playset, I was going to probably get something on the lower end range but I decided that spending a bit more would get a lot more use and value for my money. Of all of the different backyard playsets I looked at, I thought the Skyfort II offered the best bang for the buck. It has a ton of great feature and provides several different activities combined into one playset. One thing that I like about it was the inclusion of a climbing wall. I loved the idea that it offered an activity beyond the typical kids play and could spark his imagination and inspire him.

The process of assembly involved friends with their kids also looking on in amazement as to the future wonder. That is, it takes more than 1 or 2 people and it will be quite easy. Just think ahead as to location and so forth because pieces even by themselves aren't easy to move. We ended up having as much fun assembling it as the kids had fun after it was done. But I would like the playset to be a tad more sturdy so that I can be there a bit with my kids and not jump on something and wonder if it would break. It is not something for adults but it would have been nice to demonstrate a thing or two when they were young.

The one we selected was expensive (to us), but it was on sale that weekend. It looked very sturdy. My husband & brother put it together in just a couple of hours without any real issues. It was very easy to put together and was child friendly for various ages. Our boys are 4 years apart to that was important to us. There were enough different things to do that we knew they wouldn't become easily bored. I hope they have more height options would be nice to have. Our two boys are four years apart and are, at times, very different sizes.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Backyard Discovery has been manufacturing and distributing wooden swing and playsets for over 30 years. Its playsets boast hundreds of configuration options and multiple accessories. It also puts an emphasis on safety by providing unique safety features on all of its playsets.

• Swingsets: Backyard Discovery has over 40 swingsets to choose from ranging in size, features and price. Its swingsets are all made from pre-stained cedar wood which is naturally resistant to decay, rot and insects. Along with swings, all swingsets come with a slide and have various features from sandboxes and climbing walls to enclosed clubhouses and monkey bars. Interested consumers can visit their website for a complete list of features for each swingset.
  • Custom swingsets: Backyard Discovery manufactures four series of customizable swingsets: Explorer, Treehouse, Peak and Expedition Series. Each series has different features that can be tailored to fit the consumer’s backyard and child’s needs. The Peak Series, for example, is designed for unlevel backyards and has adjustable beams to accommodate any terrain. Consumers can check online for a full list of models and their features.
  • Playhouses: Backyard Discovery develops and manufactures more than 12 playhouse models, all made from cedar wood to resist rot, decay and insects. Playsets range in size and design and include features like locking doors with doorbells, working shutters, porches and flower boxes. Backyard Discovery has two unique models: a castle and a two-level mansion. Each model’s features are listed online.
  • Warranties: All swing and playsets come with a one-year manufacturer's warranty on defective parts and a five-year prorated warranty on the wood components for rot and decay.
  • Pricing: Consumers can find a price on every swing and playset model on Backyard Discovery’s website. Prices for swingsets range from $499-$6,161, and prices for playhouses range from $249-$1,399.
  • Best for consumers looking for a wide range of swingset and playhouse models.

Compare Backyard Swings and Playsets