Quit paying for costly home repairs

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

4.15/5

20 Backyard Discovery Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 29, 2019

We ordered the swing set from Walmart.com & picked it up at the store. Easy enough. Once we started unpacking the swing set, we noticed at least 15 of the boards needed replaced before we could even start assembly, one being the main support beam! It took a week, FedEx Ground, to receive the replacement boards, free of charge. I placed calls on 2 separate occasions and both representatives were polite, helpful and efficient.

The board that had to be replaced were either cracked, dry rotted, warped and/or all of the above. The replacement parts were not marked so we had to compare the pieces to make sure we were using the correct ones. Also, some smaller board pieces cracked when they were being screwed in but my husband was able to cut pieces to fit these from the damaged boards that we had so we didn't have to call & wait another week to have those replaced as well. It is not a 2 man, 6-8 hour job, more like 2-3 days.

Some boards do not specifically state in which direction they should be attached so there was some confusion there. Some pieces were not pre-drilled so there was also some measuring & extra drilling that had to be done. The plastic stakes to anchor the swing set into the ground are a joke. I had to buy a metal set off Amazon for $9. My suggestion would be that whoever packs these swing sets to take a little more time to make sure the quality of the boards are acceptable & safe at time of delivery for the safety and well being of the precious little ones playing on it.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

We purchased a large playset from Backyard Discovery, Woodridge Elite Wooden Swing Set - Shipping & Assembly Included. Quantity: 1. Price: $2,349.00. This order was placed on June 11, 2018. The technicians came to assemble in July and noticed several damaged pieces. They told us they did not want to assemble it because they thought it was potentially dangerous to any children and placed an order to replace these pieces. The replacements came about a week later and several weeks after that, they returned to tell us that they found more cracked and damaged parts and felt it was unsafe to assemble. So, here we are September 23, 2018 with a bunch of boxes of wood parts sitting, covered by a tarp, waiting to be assembled. I am extremely disappointed! We made a huge investment and have NOTHING to show for it!

Get expert buying tips about Backyard Swings and Playsets delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

They offer a wide selection of fun swingsets at competitive prices. I cannot attest to the quality and longevity of the product because we have only used it for a very short while, but it seems like it is well constructed for its cost and will last, though not as strong as other structures from companies that charge double the price. Customer service is excellent once I spoke with a manager. Both times I contacted the company the initial agent was unhelpful so I highly recommend speaking with a manager if your issue or inquiry isn't satisfactorily met. Lastly, the website sometimes does not readily offer important info when comparing swingsets and could be reconfigured to make shopping much easier, such as adding filters with key differences. In all though, I would and did recommend it to my friend who hopefully will be as satisfied with her product as I am.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We purchased this playset for my son's birthday. It took a few weeks to receive, came in individual pieces in 4 boxes. We put the set up, which took two and a half solid days of work for the two of us. We followed instructions to the letter to ensure maximum safety, and staked the playset into the ground as instructed. However, it was a bit squeaky and shaky. We were planning on stabilizing it when we had some more time to dedicate to the project. A few weeks go by and we had a windstorm (common in the area). The playset was COMPLETELY DESTROYED! The top story of the set had blown off and splintered everywhere, the swing was overturned and twisted. We managed to salvage the bottom story of the playset, which, again, was completely STAKED DOWN.

I called Backyard Discovery to see what they could do to help, seeing as we had only had the playset 1 and 1/2 months and paid $1600 for it. I initially spoke with Angela, who stated that the warranty did not cover wind damage. When I asked what did their assurance that the set was WEATHER TESTED mean. She responded that WIND IS NOT CONSIDERED WEATHER. What??? She stated that if I sent her pictures and a list of parts that she would talk to her manager and see what they could do. So that is what I did. The offer they came back with is that I could buy the parts, or I could purchase a new set at half off ($750!).

I stated that we could make pieces work if the cost was too much, but we were answered with the same response. I am not giving this company another dime of my money. Now we are out $1500, have a mess in our yard, and a unhappy toddler (and angry mom and dad). I am so disappointed in this whole experience and feel like I've been taken for a ride.

Resolution response: Jan. 27, 2018

Thank you backyard discovery for resolving our issue.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

After purchasing the Skyfort II for our two kids for Christmas, we had extremely cold weather and couldn't set it up right away. When we finally got the weather to build the playset, it took us a few days to finish, which was fine, but after the product was finished and STAKED DOWN! We had an awful windstorm. The whole playset blew over and broke into a bunch of pieces! We hadn't even had it set up for a week and it was destroyed! The pieces that you connect the stakes to are only a 1/2 inch thick and break under extreme wind... We paid $1600 for a playset for four days... The company won't stand behind their product.

We called to see what could be done, but we're told we can buy replacement parts at our own expense because it's not covered under warranty! Very disappointed and feel they should look into replacing the boards on the playset that connect to the stakes more sturdy, after all that is the base of these playsets... So now we are out $1600 with two very disappointed kids and two mad parents... Think twice before buying if you live in high wind areas.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Backyard Discovery?

Original review: July 21, 2017

I selected this brand because it was the best value for what was included. It was very inclusive and something to invest in for the next many years. It has numerous activities to help a child grow. Plus, it was large and my child could grow with it over the next numerous number of years. It was complex but worth the effort. I like the construction of the unit itself and how sturdy/durable it is. I am reassured that my child will be safe and not be injured on the said unit. Easy maintenance too.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I selected this brand as it was a promotional sale. My family has had good past experiences with the swing set brand and I felt that it was a high quality product. I like that the playset was able to be upgraded with different slides or swings as my kids get older. This makes me want to keep it for a longer time. But I dislike that the swing set instructions were not the best. There were many pieces which could be installed upside down and would cause problems and this made putting it together harder than I thought.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I like that this is more than just a swing set. One of my favorite features is the playhouse and climber. It encourages discovery in a safe, non threatening construction. I comparison shopped online and found that it was best priced at Kmart. I had it sent to the store for pick up. The assembly was tedious and I would have rather had it done, but I was trying to save money while providing for my grandchild. Also I would have liked a longer slide and additional play features for less money. I have seen models that include teeter totters and trampolines. I also did not like having to put it together, but I knew that when I ordered it.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I love the variety. It has plenty of different things for my son to play on. I am very fond of the swing, the slide and also the fort for my little king. My son absolutely loves it and he doesn't want to stop playing on it. He especially enjoys the castle part and he will be up there all day. If my son loves it so do I. It has everything a child could possibly want to play on. I'm completely and positively happy and satisfied I got what I paid for with the swing set. I got my money's worth.

Original review: July 12, 2017

It was recommended by a friend and my daughter loves going to their home to play. So we decided to purchase our own and it was the best play decision I have made for my daughter. She always loves playing on it and it never gets old. She loves how the playhouse is attached to the multiple swings and slides. Plus numerous children play on it at once. The wood is high end and very good quality. The swings and slide gives a playground feel too. The play set is well constructed and I have the peace of mind that children are safe who play on it. I would recommend this to any family with children.

Backyard Discovery expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Backyard Discovery has been manufacturing and distributing wooden swing and playsets for over 30 years. Its playsets boast hundreds of configuration options and multiple accessories. It also puts an emphasis on safety by providing unique safety features on all of its playsets.

• Swingsets: Backyard Discovery has over 40 swingsets to choose from ranging in size, features and price. Its swingsets are all made from pre-stained cedar wood which is naturally resistant to decay, rot and insects. Along with swings, all swingsets come with a slide and have various features from sandboxes and climbing walls to enclosed clubhouses and monkey bars. Interested consumers can visit their website for a complete list of features for each swingset.

• Custom swingsets: Backyard Discovery manufactures four series of customizable swingsets: Explorer, Treehouse, Peak and Expedition Series. Each series has different features that can be tailored to fit the consumer’s backyard and child’s needs. The Peak Series, for example, is designed for unlevel backyards and has adjustable beams to accommodate any terrain. Consumers can check online for a full list of models and their features.

• Playhouses: Backyard Discovery develops and manufactures more than 12 playhouse models, all made from cedar wood to resist rot, decay and insects. Playsets range in size and design and include features like locking doors with doorbells, working shutters, porches and flower boxes. Backyard Discovery has two unique models: a castle and a two-level mansion. Each model’s features are listed online.

• Warranties: All swing and playsets come with a one-year manufacturer's warranty on defective parts and a five-year prorated warranty on the wood components for rot and decay.

• Pricing: Consumers can find a price on every swing and playset model on Backyard Discovery’s website. Prices for swingsets range from $499-$6,161, and prices for playhouses range from $249-$1,399.

• Best for: consumers looking for a wide range of swingset and playhouse models.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs