2.56/5
Based on 27 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Avanti Wine Coolers

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 7, 2017

29 Avanti Wine Coolers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

We have owned this wine cooler for 3 or 4 years. It suddenly heated the top part of the unit to 99 degrees and we can't get it to change. I'm less than impressed with this unit. Although, after carefully reviewing all others available there are few that meet our expectations. Time to get another one. Hopefully one that works!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

We purchased the Avanti Wine and Beverage Center (WBV21DZ) approximately 5 years ago. The Beverage Center performed fine up to about 4 months ago. We called Avanti's customer service line for their authorized dealer. They referred us to another authorized service provider as they did not cover our location. They did not call us back. We had been advised, by another appliance company that we needed a circuit board replacement. They claim that they could not get the part directly from Avanti so we tried again through Avanti Customer Service. This time they responded the same day but said there would be a service charge to come out of $89.50. They said they preferred cash or check. Okay reasonable.

Two repair people showed up. They stated that they would look at the beverage center but it would cost another $179.00 to look at it. Now this quote was not to repair the unit as this charge was over and above the $89.50 service charge but merely to look at it. Wow. He looked at it and did damage to our floor. "He then stated that the "these" Avanti Beverage Centers are nothing but problems. That we should have purchased another kind and that these products are not worth repairing..." Wow again. This company is an authorized Avanti service representative telling us that the product he is there to repair was worthless... without even giving us a verbal quote. He stated yet again that they needed cash... and further stated that he might be able to sell us a used beverage center and he would haul away our current one.

Okay -- no quote to repair but if we would pay him for a used beverage center and I will take your unit. He was to call us the next day and again demanded cash two more times. We balked at paying $268 so they reduced it to $179. Merely just to roll the beverage center out to tell us that he wasn't going to repair the unit. Because these units are worthless. Needless to say we have never heard back from this authorized Avanti repair service. We then notified Avanti online in writing. They stated they would contact us with 48 hours. They never acknowledged our online communication. We contacted them via telephone. All they stated was "We return all emails." No apology, no we'll look into it. No we have your email and we're looking it into it. Nothing. We haven't even asked for anything. They don't even take the name of their authorized repair service.

Lessons Learned -- many. BTW -- we know the unit was out of warranty --- at least we think it is - because we really don't have a confirmation from the Avanti authorized repair company. All they wanted was cash and more cash to do exactly nothing but show up at our door. They did not repair the unit or even offer us a quote for the replacement parts and repair it --- They only wanted to sell us a used unit that I can only speculate that the unit was one from another owner.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 9, 2017

We purchased this new and based upon ratings, we expected good performance. Within weeks of the 1-year warranty expiring we had $800 in repairs the copper tubing had a leak and had to be replaced, along with evaporator, dryer, heat exchanger. After that repair, a few months later the compressor went out (luckily the manufacturer paid for that part). Today the control panel went out. I understand this product is made in China. Will never buy again.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I purchased an Avanti WC55SSR wine cooler 9/3/2014 through IWA (International Wine Accessories). We are in the property 3 months a year. When we are gone I have turned off the unit, unplugged, and left the door ajar. On arrival this year it would not cool. I knew it had just a 1 year warranty, however because of the high cost I wanted it repair it. Called both Avanti Customer Service & IWA. The repair folks either would not work on it or would not travel to this address. After many attempts I did get someone to look at it. They told me the "sealed system" was shot & to repair would be way more than the purchase of a new unit. I purchased Avanti because I thought it was a high-end wine cooler; however seems it is only a high-priced item. I will not of course use either Avanti or IWA again.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

Since I always have my wine selection in the right temperature I would say that they are Highly efficient. Depending on the wine I can place them in three different shelves. They have the right temperature. If you care about your wine I would recommend my Avanti Koldfront has enough room and is very affordable. Looks very nice in my Florida room. So far I have had no problems with my Avanti Koldfront. I truly recommend you have a surge protector, not only for the appliance but to protect your wines. Avanti has many options from the more affordable to the connoisseurs type. They are a really good choice. You don't have to spend a million to have a great wine cooler.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avanti?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

It was a gift. It works very good! Keeps my wine nice and cold, you can see the temperature on the side and adjust according to how you like it which is really neat. It is very well built. You can tell by how heavy it is that it's quality work and will last for a very long time, great work. It is great value, totally worth the money if you're looking to buy! It is built to last forever. In my opinion it's a great fridge!! Keep up the good work.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

There are plenty of options to choose from making the process of picking them out a more enjoyable time for all, alone or with a group. The amount of wine bottles it can hold is a great feature. Also how chilled the cooler will stay. Being energy efficient is a great plus for anyone. It has held up through normal wear and tear and a few moves. It has a few dents and scratches but that is to be expected. I think it could be just a bit better made to handle a little more. I am pretty happy with how much I paid and the fact that it is still going strong. I would not mind paying just a little more if it would hold a few more bottles.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

It holds plenty of bottles, both top and bottom. The bottles end up resembling a wave pattern. It's not super customizable, but it looks great on display. I would recommend this to others. It allows plenty of bottles to be placed inside, and also allows for several to be placed along the sides. It also includes a few drawers, allowing for additional storage. It is built very strong. It should hold up through years and years of wear and tear. It heavy and built out of quality wood. I expect it to last a lifetime. It's not the cheapest wine cabinet on the market, but it is certainly one of the better values for the money. It's price point, I feel, is one that should be affordable for most people.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

It had no special options but kept the wine at a constant temperature and the motor was quiet. It had a great door that opened and closed smoothly. It kept the wine at a constant temperature and was able to fit into a small space under the bar. This machine lasted 10 years before needing to be replaced. What more could one ask for a simple wine chiller. It was brown in color and was lightweight so it could be lifted and moved by one person.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

The fact that it can accommodate more than one bottle as well as different size ones. Makes it easier to transport various brands as well as sizes. Has multiple features that come in handy for the different types of wine. Because of this you are able to enjoy and bottle you so choose. I have had this for a few years now and have had no issues. I have heard of other brands not being as well built but this one is great! At first I felt the price was a little steep but then after some time of using it have found its well worth the money. Great price for the product.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

Perfect size to hold the amount of bottles we typically have in our home. Fits right under counter out of the way. Convenient and works wonderfully. So many size options. Cooling options are wonderful. Comes in different sizes and holds enough bottles. Fits under counter out of the way and does not take up more room in the kitchen. Frees up room in my refrigerator. Last long time. I have had mine for a few years with no problems. Worth the investment. Keeps wine chilled. Love it. Great gift for any wine lover. Worth every cent. It is such a space saver in my refrigerator and conveniently is under my counter out of the way of the foot traffic in my kitchen.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

They allow you to customize how many wine bottles you want to be able to store and cool. The features of this wine cooler work great. So far I have been very happy with them and have had no problems with how they work and function. I have had this brand wine cooler for a few months but you can tell just by looking at it that it is of great quality. I can trust that this brand will be with me for years and years. The value of this wine cooler is totally worth it. You get a great built wine cooler with the functions that you expect from a more pricier item.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

Can be used to hold as much or as little as you need it to within its capacity and can be kept at the temperature that you would like it to be kept at. Customization temperature, storage capacity, size, adjustable shelves and shelf sizes, digital thermostat control for temperature, environmentally friendly. The product has a very highly durability level and can withstand high outside temperatures. It is very high quality and made from indestructible materials. It has brought much value into my life as a wine drinker and has allowed me to further my interests in wine and in wine storage. I have broadened my horizons in the different types of wine that I can try.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

The only thing you could customize was the temperature only. Although that was the only feature it still was a decent feature and one that was appreciated. Not too many to make it hard to use. It was simple enough for the technology impaired and she is loving it. The younger crowd would probably want more features but for someone her age (60s) it was perfect. I got it for her two Christmases ago. It has never had any issues and she uses it daily. It still maintains to correct temperature and still runs like a champ. No issues to report. It was one of the more budget friendly options so I was very happy with that. I also was able to catch it on sale so that also helped. I was able to pick a product I would have paid more for and stay on budget.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

Was a great size and work very well and was a good value for the price. Also good for resale value. They work forever. Cooling unit excellent. Convenient to use. Always running. A great value for the money and people will really enjoy it. Also is very good. It was a lot of wine bottles. Is very strong and has a great body and the wonderful viewing door. They accepted payments until I had a pain. All it took 3 months. They were very kind and courteous and I would recommend it to anybody at all.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

We have had our Avanti wine cooler for 10 months. It was making a loud buzzing noise every couple of hours. I called the customer service number to get some help, giving them the purchase date and asking about the warranty process. They gave me the number of local service provider... who never returned my voicemails. I called back to Avanti and went through the same thing again - asking what is the warranty process. They apologized for giving me the previous number - it apparently wasn't even an authorized provider and I was given a different number. I asked again - what is the process for payment under warranty - no payment required I was told. The service company showed up, fixed the buzzing noise and then asked for my credit card details. I explained what I had been told by Avanti and they said they always require payment and I would get reimbursed.

Neither the service guy or I could get through to the Avanti customer service number - it went to voicemail. When I called Avanti the next day to request reimbursement with the invoice as proof, they said that isn't their warranty process. They had no records in their system of me calling in to request a warranty request and don't record calls - so there was no way to verify what I had been told and they refused to reimburse me even though the unit is clearly under warranty. I paid $180 for a 20-minute repair call when I made it clear that I wanted the warranty service. Avanti have been extremely unhelpful at every step - I would never purchase any other appliance from them again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

I bought the Avanti 160 bottle WCR682SS-1 wine cooler from a floor model distributor and have had nothing but trouble. After the purchase, I ordered some of the larger Burgundy shelves and a replacement charcoal filter directly from Avanti. Avanti sent the wrong parts on both occasions. I still have not received the correct shelving after 3.5 weeks and 5 phone calls. Then, unit's compressor stopped working this week. I called Avanti and they referred me to their GA authorized repair shop. The repairman was able to come out in about a week and told me that it was best that I ship the unit back to the place where I bought it which I have done. I have subsequently bought a different large wine cooler from Costco. It should ship this week and I hope that I get a better result.

Original review: July 28, 2016

Bought an Avanti 85-bottle dual-zone wine cooler in May 2015 and in early July it quit cooling in the lower zone. Found out today that it has a blocked evaporator that will cost $1000 to replace. You can see the ice build up inside the cooler. Their website shows that it is a discontinued model. Ridiculous to pay $1400 for it and it quits after a little over a year. Worked fine until now. The only units available are either 30-40 bottle units or 146 bottle units.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2016

Paid over $1000 and after 4 years the compressor is down. Cost of repair over $600. Very disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

We purchased an Avanti Wine Cooler for $1,000.00. Not too long out of warranty, the unit stopped cooling... This was in May, 2015. The service department told us month after month that the part was coming from China for the past 6 months. During this time, they refused to give us a "loaner" or anything whatsoever to compensate us for the fact that their product not only broke down so quickly, but that they were completely unable to secure any repair for the cooler. After six long months of waiting, their receptionist informs me that the part is never coming in, and that I may want to check Amazon for a part for it... Seriously?

I spoke with the manager, Dan on several occasions whom always promised to call me back, which of course, never happened. When I finally did speak to him today, he stated there was absolutely nothing he could do, and that "I was out of luck"... His total disregard and lack of any form of professionalism was amazing. I asked if there was any type of "deal" he would be willing to work out on a new replacement unit, and once again was told, nope... Nothing... I agree that if I was purchasing a $199 unit, I would probably expect it to last a little over a year... But to pay over a $1,000 for one is completely unacceptable to have it break so soon, and be told, "sorry... You're out of luck" is just poor business on every possible level... This product should be banned from future people being scammed into thinking they are buying a reliable product from a company that stands behind their products as I was...

Original review: Sept. 3, 2015

Called the Customer Service. They gave two numbers of businesses who could service them in Chatham, NJ area. Both businesses said they do not service the area. Called a couple local appliance service businesses who also do not service this wine cooler. So, called the Avanti Customer Service again and the only answer they had was "keep trying as we cannot help you." To me, that is not called 'service' and as a customer, it is not my job to try and figure out who can service this cooler which is useless to us but is relatively 'new'.

Original review: July 31, 2015

I wish I could have selected three or four stars: while it worked, it was a great wine cooler/canned drinks fridge. Very handy under the counter in the kitchen bar area, nice glass doors in the two zones, with great flexibility in the wine cooler section temperature. Bought from BeverageFactory.com in early 2010 for under $225. Late last summer, it stopped cooling the wine, then the fridge went right before the holidays. Nearest fridge repair company (not affiliated with any manufacturer or retailer like Sears) won't touch it because, as our contractor emailed me: "They don't repair them because their suppliers can't get parts. They had no idea who might." Too bad, was a great product before it failed, and it was a good price. Replacing it with higher quality is going to cost a lot more.

Original review: June 29, 2015

Avanti Wine Cooler I bought is a cheap junk. 1.1 year of ownership and the evaporator is gone 1 month after the expiry of the warranty. The part cost is $575 plus labor. The unit came in a torn box that I should have taken note. Probably someone else's return. Buyer beware. Cheap Chinese junk. I will never buy an Avanti product again.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2015

Coolant started to leak after 2 years. It was repaired, had a leak.....then the digital board went out 4 months after that. Bought the cooler from AJ Madison on May 13, 2012. Avanti was not very helpful. Will never buy another.

Original review: March 24, 2014

We owned the 18 bottle refrigerator for two years. It worked well for that time then no longer cooled the wine. We fortunately had purchased it from P.C. Richard and had a service contract. They honored it and and gave us a new refrigerator. It was sealed and in the box - when opened it was damaged. We brought it back. They gave us the same model - this one did not maintain the temperature. It didn't respond to any adjustments. We returned it for a store credit. I noticed that these models were made in China and obviously by others complaints are not a reliable product, despite the time our first one worked I would not recommend this product.

Original review: May 5, 2012

I purchased 72 beverage coolers from Avanti and gave them the specifications of our cabinets. We were assured that the unit they suggested would work for our purposes. None of them get cold enough - most don't work at all. I sent back two that were hot and were told we weren't supposed to put them in cabinets (despite the fact they sold it to us knowing that was what we needed). Less than a year later, they will not replace the non-working units and offered no compensation. They demand payment by check for large purposes for just this reason. They don't want charge backs. Do not purchase from Avanti products. They will rip you off, lie to get a sale and then not honor their product warranty. Avanti sells defective merchandise and then lies to make a sale.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2011

I bought a new wine cooler that did not work made by Avanti Products. After sending three repair persons, Avanti agreed to replace the unit. However, they refused to pick up the defective unit and wants me to pay for them to process the replacement paperwork. I am unable to take the defective unit to a trash dump in California and it will cost me fees to have someone pick up the unit and haul it to the trash dump.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2010

This Co sells a Wine Cooler called Avanti. Bought it in 2007, needed a new compressor in 2008, there was no charged for that, now the same problem occurred. I left an email on their website 3 days ago, did not receive anything back. It seems these compressors only last one year and of course that is totally absurd. Thank You.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2007

Model WCP8 - 8 bottle countertop wine cooler

Bought the product in September 2005. 11 months later, in August 2006, came home to find the wine cooler at 84 degrees! Had to throw out 6 bottles of wine, 2 of which we'd brought back from Italy in June that year. Called Avanti in August 2006, no response from anyone at the company for almost 2 months! Left several messages, sent several emails. Finally got a call back in October. Their excuse: they were backlogged. Was told they'll get in touch with me about sending out a replacement. No calls came for 2 weeks.

Called back again, found out that the person who was in charge of the replacement didnt work there anymore. Had to go through all the explanations and proof of purchase paperwork with new rep again. A replacement wine cooler of the same model was sent to me in November 2006 (more than a week late from the promised date). Now, only 2 months later, the new unit has the same temperature control problem. Now it wont go under 72 degrees! Had to throw out 4 bottles of wine this time. Called Avanti today, 1-31-07. When customer service rep pulled up my account, right away she said my warranty had expired and there was nothing they could do...I hadn't even had a chance to explain what was wrong with my unit yet...shows how programmed they are in their responses.

Anyway, I told the rep that I was calling NOT to get a replacement unit - at this point, I wouldnt take anything with an Avanti logo on it even if they were giving them away for free - but that I was calling to make sure Avanti knew that their product sucks and that their customer service sucks. The reps response: transfer me to the supervisor's voicemail. Maybe they'll call me back, but knowing their track record...I'm not holding my breath. [Side Note: In trying to be fair to them, never once did I ask them to compensate me for all the lost wine...so much for being nice.]

Avanti expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Avanti sells a variety of refrigeration units, including apartment-sized refrigerators, upright and chest freezers, water dispensers, beverage coolers and wine chillers. Their wine chillers hold between 12 and 160 bottles of wine.

• Wide availability: With over 7,000 retail partners across North, South and Central America, it is easy for consumers to buy an Avanti wine chiller at local retailers and online. See their list of authorized internet dealers on Avanti’s website. Those interested in commercial sales can find their nearest distributor on Avanti’s website.
    • Online product manuals: Don’t worry about keeping track of your Avanti product manual. Find manuals for both current models and discontinued products on Avanti’s website.
    • Warranty service: Call Avanti’s service number for warranty repairs on your product as long as it is still under warranty.
    • Other products offered: Avanti makes a variety of refrigeration products that are designed for small spaces, including homes, apartments, dorms, hotel rooms and offices.
    • Wine coolers for small spaces: Avanti’s compact countertop wine cooler stores up to 12 bottles of wine without taking up your refrigerator space. The design allows for up to four open bottles of wine to be stored without spilling a drop.
    • Best for: Avanti wine chillers are best for small home dwellers.
    Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
    Kate Williams, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Avanti Wine Coolers Company Information