Ascent Mobility Solutions

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the nice review. Glad to hear the lift is working well for you.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

We were looking at Ascent and another brand. Someone from Ascent called first and he was very easy to deal with. The man who came to install the stairlift was excellent. I got it for my husband since our bedrooms are upstairs so he has experienced extreme difficulty. Within the last three weeks, his physical ability has deteriorated considerably so the stairlift has been a godsend. It is wonderful and we've been very pleased with it. I was looking at a different brand that said it had a padded seat. I thought it might have been nice but when I stopped and reflected, mine is washable, won't wear out and if it gets dirty I can clean it. So really we got the better deal.

We did some research and looked at some of the consumer reviews, read them with cost and Ascent Stairlifts seemed to be the best fit for what we were looking for. We did it all over the phone and sent them the measurements since they're out of state from where we're at. They were also able to answer any questions we had. The installer was great and awesome. He was efficient, he cleaned up after himself and answered all our questions. He was on time. Another thing is that the warranty was appealing to us when we originally were looking at getting a used stairlift. We found out that for a little bit more we could get a new one and Ascent had a decent warranty with it. That was important to us too. Especially if we're not using it daily, something is going to go wrong and we have more than a couple of weeks to figure it out.

We have a house where we pull into the garage and walk up to the main level. We are pretty young and able-bodied, but my husband’s mom is 84 and my dad is 80 and walks with a heavy limp. There's no way into our house without going through a lot of steps. So, we put the stairlift for somebody who can't get up the steps and it has been great. For my dad, he doesn’t have a good bend to his leg because it shattered and so he can only bend so far. With the stairlift, he can sit on it and ride it up without getting his foot completely bend back onto the footrest. He can hold it out and position one foot on the footrest. It's a steep stairwell and the stairlift can get him up safely. We would also put a crate on the stairlift, then put the groceries on and send it up. I have two-year-old twins that ride on it too. Overall, everything has been great.

Glad we could help!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Ascent Stairlifts was one of the companies that were recommended to assess the living place. The interaction with the consultants was amazing. They really went above and beyond to help us out. The person that came out help me set up the stairlift and to see if it works for the house. She was very knowledgeable. We also had a tight a timeline on getting it installed. The installer changed the schedule and came out on the weekend, so they were very accommodating. It was nice not having to worry about the stairs. Overall, I was really happy and thankful for all that Ascent did for us. They were a great company to work with.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the nice review!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I got a quote from Ascent Stairlifts and they were much less versus somebody else. And everything else on the internet, users say that the quality of their product was equal, so I chose them. Their representative called me about 15 times trying to get me, which was good because I'm really busy and I kept missing her. She was very persistent about providing the quote, which was helpful. I have very straight steps so I just sent them a photograph and it was very easy. Ascent Stairlifts enabled my 91-year-old mother to live with us because she couldn't do stairs at all. Dealing with them was really simple and straightforward and they’re reasonably priced. Their guy came out when he said he would and he cleaned up after.

Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I searched for providers on the web and chose Ascent Stairlifts based on reviews. When I was buying the stairlift they asked me to send a picture so I did that. It was Ascent who sold it and then it was shipped to a different company who came and installed it. I had a little trouble with scheduling because the guy cancelled the day before but once the guy showed up he did a good job. The stairlift is a safe and sturdy product. How its features should work was thought through like the seatbelt and the way you had to secure it before it moves. I'm really glad I had it installed for my mother. It’s pretty much what was expected and it works well.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for your business. Happy to hear it is helpful!

Original review: July 26, 2017

The guy from another stairlift company jacked up the price at the end but this guy from Ascent Stairlifts was competitive in his price so I chose him. Plus the product is all made in England. I had a straight step installed. I told them how many steps there were and the installation team did a neat job. The stairlift has a remote on both sides, top and bottom and it's neatly built. So far it's worked. I got it at the last minute when I could hardly get up the stairs so I had to call and this was a revelation for me. I’ve been using it often and it’s been a lifesaver. It's a big help. It does what it's supposed to do and I'd recommend it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ascent Stairlifts?

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you Sharon! Glad to hear everything is working well.

Original review: July 10, 2017

The lady consultant from Ascent brought samples, measured everything and told us which would be the easiest way to do. She even offered the used product if there was any. There were two gentlemen that came in for the install. They were informative, told us what they were going to do, how they were going to do it. Showed my mom how to use the stairs because dad uses them when he goes out of the house which is fairly rare because he's in home hospice. But we needed them for him when he did leave for doctor's appointments, dentists and that sort of thing. They made mom use it so she could see what they meant. My mom also uses the stairlift all the time. She goes up and down, into the basement. That's where their laundry machines are at. So, she goes from the main living area to a landing and then gets on another straight one to go down.

From start to finish, Ascent Stairlifts is an A plus company. I would recommend them highly to anybody. I have told people that, “If you ever need one, you call these people. They are the best.” They were very helpful, considerate and understanding towards my mom and my dad and their age. Dad's 94 and my mom will be 91 in August. The experience with them was just wonderful. I can't say enough about how good they were to my mom and dad and to me.

The consultant treated my father as if he was the most important person in the world. She kidded with him and he kidded with her right back. And that was my selling point right there. She didn't have to do anything else. At the particular point in time I had made up my mind that we were going to go with her regardless of what the cost was. My dad felt the same way. A few weeks before her we had experienced hard selling from other people. And you're not going to pressure me into buying anything. I will make that decision based on you and the way you present yourself. Also, you don't treat my parents with disrespect. Dad tried to tease with the guy who came in from the other company. He wasn't doing that and that turned me off right there.

Thank you!!

Original review: July 2, 2017

A representative from Ascent Stairlifts came and told us everything we needed to know and when the installation team came they were informative and were done in a timely fashion. We had no problems and it operates as well as it’s meant to. My husband uses it and he’s had a very positive experience but I was going to call them because they told me that they were going to refund the sales tax but I've never seen it.

Ascent Stairlifts

Happy to see the new stairlifts are working well!

Original review: June 28, 2017

I like that Ascent has their own demonstration hall where I could try and actually ride it up and down to see what it would be like. The salesperson was very subdued, knows how to sell and gave the facts. He came and measured and gave me a price estimate for my own stairs. The installation team is very fast. They took just a couple of hours to install and it was perfectly all right. During the first day, I could not get down entirely because of this folding-up end tail of the rail. I called and within two hours they were out here to fix it. It was outstanding. Having the Ascent Stairlifts affected me substantially because I have difficulties in walking. I now have the means instead of struggling to make it down in the morning and up in the evening. The usage of my house increased.

Ascent Stairlifts

We appreciate your business!

Original review: June 22, 2017

I got Ascent Stairlifts as a present for my wife because our laundry is downstairs. It’s a lot easier for her and she doesn’t have to carry the laundry up and down. I don’t use it but she sure does. The consultant, Virginia, came and went over with my son on what we wanted ‘cause half of it goes downstairs and half of it towards the upstairs. It was excellent and everything was explained well. Then the installation team came on time and was very efficient. I just appreciate having it and everything went fine.

Thank you!

Original review: June 20, 2017

I bought Ascent's stairlift for my parents. We heard good feedback about them and it was recommended to us. The sales professional I worked with was super helpful. My parents have it for a month now and it has been great. I would recommend it.

Ascent Stairlifts

Glad to hear it is working so well!

Original review: June 17, 2017

Ascent Stairlifts were local to where our home is and they were very straightforward about the best choices available. They were also able to accommodate my immediate need because I had a disabled person coming to my home. The owner himself did the installation, and he was on time and finished when he said he was going to be done. And he was very neat and orderly. I was impressed that the stairlift is as economical as it was and is not obtrusive. I was concerned about how much space it was going to take, but it fits perfectly and seems to be extremely well-built.

Ascent Stairlifts

The side of the stairs the lift is installed on can be critical depending on the home layout. Glad to hear we got the correct solution installed for you!

Original review: June 16, 2017

Ascent had a higher rating than anybody else and their price was less than some other companies so I chose them. When we purchased the stairlift, I thought I needed it on the right hand side of the stairs. When the installer came, he told me I was making a big mistake. He showed me why, which I understand 100% now since I’ve had it. So we called Ascent and they sent me a new one and had the old one picked up. We have it on the correct side of the stairway now. We were delayed about a week but other than that, everything went well.

We had the Ascent stairlift bought before my wife got a compression fracture in her back. She has multiple sclerosis too, and she has her balances off sometimes and I won’t allow her to walk the stairs. The stairlift gets her up and down the stairway very easily. If we didn’t have this, we couldn’t use the upper part of our house where our main bedrooms are. All in all, the salespeople and the installer were great and the stairlift has worked great so far. We’ve only had it for about two weeks but we're happy with it.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for your business!

Original review: June 10, 2017

I had to take 18 steps to the second floor and it would take me 15 minutes to go up. Ascent Stairlift is a godsend and has saved me a lot. I had a couple of other companies come out and said the cost would be $7,000, but Ascent was more affordable. Also, their reps were excellent, friendly and knowledgeable.

Ascent was recommended to us and I looked it up online. It didn’t really matter to me what company we went with but the price was one deciding factor on why we went with Ascent. Working with their sales professional was good. On the other hand, there was a little bit of a problem when they came to install the lift system. It wasn’t the gentleman’s fault, but on the first day that he came to install it, he was missing pieces. So, he had to reschedule and come back later in the week, which was very disappointing. I’d been living in half of my house for years because I couldn’t get up and down the steps. But since having the stairlift installed, I can now get up and down the stairs. This has been a lifesaver.

Ascent Stairlifts

I am sorry to hear the installation instructions weren't very clear. However, it sounds like you got it in and it is working. Please contract us with any future questions. We appreciate your business!

Original review: May 30, 2017

Ascent Stairlifts wouldn't have been my first choice because in the beginning, I didn't know that I was going to end up having to install the stairs myself. Also, the idiom is a little different in the instructions because they must have been printed in Canada. Some of the instructions were confusing in some cases so I had to make a couple of calls to try to get that straightened out but we got it in and essentially, it works fairly well.

The rail came in two parts and where they were connected, there were just two wires that didn't have connectors with it. So, I attempted to splice in a wire and we got it all together but somehow in that process of getting it together the splice came undone. What that wire does is it energizes, it provides electrical current for the charging strips either at the top or the bottom of the rail and so when it's broken the chair will only charge whatever ends you have the power source in. I either have to pull that wire out and string it along the outside of the rail. And once I get those rails, I get it or I don't really want to take them apart. They're pretty heavy.

The only other crisis I had with the product was where the rail was spliced together, there was a bump point where I go over when the chair rides over it. It wasn't a smooth fit. They had two connecting rods that went on a channel. There has to be some flexibility in there but in the flexibility there were at least four tracks where the wheels went and those were part of the rail. The top part’s not molded underneath and the extrusions didn't marry up. So much was wrapped up and the ads came by with satisfaction. So much of that was involved in the construction, putting that thing together, that I have a whole different perspective than the average Joe.

They didn't have anybody in the area. The closest people they had was in Sacramento, about four-hour drive away. I doubt they're gonna do that unless I'm willing to pay their mileage and that was part of the problem. They were glad to talk to me over the phone though. The one fellow I talked to that called me back was very helpful and he said, "You know once I got that rail together, don't take it apart. I've installed a lot of these. Once you got you get it together, go ahead and get it on there." So we did and I had my son-in-law come out and helped me set that chassis on the top because I didn't have enough strength to do it myself.

The chair felt tenuous when I sit on it and it has some tilting forward. My wife didn't have any problem getting in the bottom and riding up but it was disconcerting for her to sit on it at the top of the stairwell as I’m looking down and feel like she was going to fall out of it. She’s very unsure about that and I understand. I said, "All I have to do is stand on that step and then turn and sit down. It's like sitting in a regular chair." But, she has difficulty looking down because she has macular degeneration so she has trouble seeing down. What looks straight to you and I, it doesn't to her. The vertical lines don't appear vertical or they have waves, so when she looks down it looks probably crazy.

But also the step is somewhat of a necessary design deficiency. It doesn't protrude out very far and we have a narrow stairwell so when I sit down on it, my knees are about 4 inches away from the rail, the banister and all that to hold it up. It's functional but the step could have been a little bit longer. It’s a necessary deficiency in order for it to fold properly. Also, there's a limit of 300 pounds for the whole chair itself. It would create a leverage that over time cause failure of the full joint. There's two parts to this. There's the structure itself of the chair which because of the way they designed it has certain building limitations as far as the dimensions and secondly, where the dimensions interface with human beings.

I used to be in training in development writing, and we had trained programs and I must say their manual needs work. It was confusing to me and it must be confusing to others. They have hands on experience, so if you want to get that part, you don’t have to look at the manual every time you put in a spark plug. There are human performance, human factor and a lot of stuff involved in the ergonomics to interfacing with human beings. The point is a lot of people have visual and physical disabilities that have to be addressed and I'm not sure that was done. They probably did it to the extent that they could mass produce these things but in time they need to work a little bit more on those issues I’ve mentioned.

Ascent Stairlifts

Glad you enjoyed working with Virginia!

Original review: May 26, 2017

Ascent's stairlifts have good quality and price. Also, I had a good rapport with the lady that I was working with that prompted me to want to purchase a stairlift. I’m very pleased with the whole thing and I would recommend Ascent.

Ascent Stairlifts

Glad we could be of service. We really appreciate your business!

Original review: May 25, 2017

Ascent Stairlifts came out and measured and the price seemed fair. The installation team was in and out in a couple of hours. In terms of safety, it buckles my wife in good. It's a functional unit for me and is now part of the house.

Ascent Stairlifts

Very happy to hear that your new stairlift is helping!

Original review: May 24, 2017

My daughter got Ascent Stairlifts off the computer. It gives me more flexibility in my daily life. I can get upstairs pretty fast. I'm also able to operate it myself easily and without any problems. It's really nice.

Thank you!

Original review: May 23, 2017

Ascent was much more cordial than the others and that was good enough for me. There was no problem with their consultants. I've stated what I wanted, they told me that they would provide and I told them what I would be satisfied with. I was satisfied with what they offered and they accepted what I offered so it was a mutual agreement. The installers came in to do their work and I allowed them to do whatever they had to do because if I hadn't trusted them, I wouldn't have them near my house. They did what they came to do, did a professional job, and I was satisfied with it.

When you're unable to do get up and down the stairs, all you want to do is to be able to become mobile again and that was what it took to get me mobile. I was satisfied with it or I wouldn't have had it. I'm very old school. Either they provide a service that I'm interested in or they don't. I'm very straightforward and they were very straightforward. They had what I needed and I would recommend them to friends or family.

Ascent Stairlifts

While the distance between the seat and footrest works for most riders, shorter users' feet may not sit flat on the footrest. Glad to hear things are working well!

Original review: May 21, 2017

I was buying a chairlift for my mom and I never purchased one so I did a little research on my own before I called and I narrowed it down to Ascent and a couple other ones. Ascent's customer service was good as far as the initial call. They were straightforward and very concise. The call wasn't complicated, there was more information and it's reassuring that if there was an issue, I felt that they would take care of it right away. The local installer always calls back and their people were very timely in getting back to me. They also let me know what was going on and everything was coordinated pretty well.

The only issue that my mother has is that she's small and when she sits on the chair, the foot plate on the bottom is a little low for her. Her feet were almost dangling when she sat on the chair and what she had to do is get some kind of adaptor so her foot would sit. My brother’s with her on a daily basis and I haven’t really heard any complaints from him, so that’s good. I would recommend Ascent.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the nice review!

Original review: May 20, 2017

I love Ascent Stairlifts and I’m very happy with them. Their installation team came to the church and did the work. It was a difficult installation because the chairs were steel and concrete, but they did a great job. They got what they needed and they got it done.

Ascent Stairlifts

We appreciate the nice review. Happy to hear things are working great.

Original review: May 15, 2017

My aunt is in her 80's and she can barely walk so she needed assistance. It’s dangerous for her to go up and down the stairs. Buying her a stairlift is something I've been after to do for quite a few years but nobody took the initiative so I did. I went online for the consumer ratings and Ascent Stairlifts were listed as one of the top so I went with them. Their reps were very efficient, gave me all the information and made it very easy for me. I was able to determine the type of chair my aunt would need. It was very simple and that's exactly what they installed. The installation team was very efficient, friendly, and nice. They explained everything. It's working out very well and it's definitely helped her. She loves it and she's very happy with it.

Thank you Bob!

Original review: May 14, 2017

I had a stroke a long time ago and my right leg was trying to go on me. So, I called my doctor's office and asked for suggestions because I didn't know where to go. She mentioned three names and the way she said Ascent Stairlifts seemed like somebody already had one installed. I started going to chemotherapy on Tuesdays which they said makes you weak and I can't handle going up and down the stairs. I had to call the fire department twice - I got a stranded one time at the bottom and another on a tub. I thought if I could have this installed before Tuesday then I wouldn't have any problem going up and down.

I called Ascent first and a lady came out on the same day which was a Friday. She talked to their owner and the owner said okay. He came out in the morning on short notice and had to have the thing installed in record time. He was very nice, personable and accommodating. They really took care of me in a nice time because I was getting kind of desperate and I got a very reasonable price. Also, I didn't have to pay taxes because it's prescribed by a doctor and it's a medical item. I'm happy with the units and I'd recommend them to anybody.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you! Glad to hear the stairlift is helping.

Original review: May 13, 2017

We were going with another company at first because it's the only one we could see online but they kept canceling on us so we dug deeper and then found Ascent Stairlifts. Then we sent them pictures for the site survey. The installers have been excellent and they came to make sure everything was okay and check it out for us, and I am very happy. My stairlift helped immensely. I can go up and down stairs with ease and I can make as many trips as I want to. I would recommend them to a friend.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for choosing Ascent Stairlifts!

Original review: May 12, 2017

We looked at three vendors which included Ascent Stairlifts. We liked Acorn and the Brooks, and then we determined that they were the same thing. And Acorn charges a middleman fee, so it was the same equipment for less money with Ascent. The gentleman who came and installed the system was very knowledgeable. He did it in a couple of hours. He advised us in terms of modifications to the bathroom and other things we might have to do. We have already done everything when we had contractors come and do things. But he was so good that we determined we would call him if we needed any other work done. We installed the stairlift for my mother who hasn't moved in. We have not put it to its actual proper use but we have moved a box with it and we found that it takes up more space on the stairs than I thought it would.

Ascent Stairlifts

We really appreciate your business! Enjoy the new stairlift.

Original review: May 7, 2017

My friend had installed the Ascent Stairlifts about six months ago for his back problem and he recommended it. He has exactly the same unit as mine but a little taller. With the help of the Ascent Stairlifts, even thought it did only about nine steps, the activity leaving the house hopefully will increase. Even though she doesn’t want to, at least she can get down. I can put her in the wheelchair and take her around the neighborhood for the beautiful upcoming summer days. Also, we had to take her to her doctor’s appointment on Monday and we're glad that we had the stairlift. It's easy to operate and provides convenience to a person who has back problems to go up and down the stairs. A few years down the road, I will need it too.

Ascent Stairlifts

We are very sorry to hear about your father. Unfortunately, we are not able to take back installed lifts because the rail has already been cut to fit your staircase. We have tried in the past to buy back used lifts, but it proved very difficult to ship back the units without significant damage to the unit.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I’m very sad about my experience with Ascent Stairlifts. I bought the stairlift and had it installed and then my father died the next day. It’s never been used but they would not take it back because it's been installed. I called the guy who installed it. He would not buy it from me except for under $600. I paid $2400 for the installation so I am very disappointed.

Ascent Stairlifts

We are very happy to hear everything thing went smoothly. We appreciate your business!

Original review: April 27, 2017

I needed to get a stairlift for my mother and it all worked out really well. I went with Ascent Stairlifts because of ConsumerAffairs. My interactions with the consultants were great. They sent some pictures and an estimate to me. It was very good price and I jumped all over it. I took pictures and measurements over the phone. They set me up with the installer of the stairlift, it got sent to them, they brought it out, and put it in. On the whole, it was a good experience. Everybody I dealt with did a good job. If I had to buy another one, I would be going right back.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for the nice review. We enjoyed working with you!

Original review: April 22, 2017

I found Ascent on the internet and I liked it. They were also local and the consultants were very good and helpful. The owner came out himself for the site survey and the installers were excellent as well. When we had a problem with one of the units, they came out and repaired it immediately. The stairlift has really helped us a lot to be able to get our mother downstairs which is a huge thing. It's been an overall great experience and very easy. I would recommend Ascent to anybody that needs that kind of service.

Ascent Stairlifts

Thank you for your business!

Original review: April 14, 2017

We chose Ascent Stairlifts because we went to Consumer Reports and saw what they had to say about various chairlifts. Their accessibility consultant seemed efficient and competent. She answered our questions and dealt with us in a friendly and efficient way. Then the installation team came and installed the chairlift, showed me how it worked and talked about it. Installation went well and the chairlift is working and we’re pleased with it. The chair was installed in time for my husband to come home who needed to use it. If I had questions I called and asked and Ascent answered. Overall, there wasn’t any problems that arose that needed dealing with. It was simply ordering the stairlift, waiting for it to come, waiting for it to be installed and it went like clockwork.

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

Ascent Stairlifts has been providing stairlift products since 2008. It offers a variety of lifts to meet users' needs and services the entire United States.

• They offer 24/7 tech support: Users can contact a technician at any time of the day or night to help resolve problems with the stairlift.
  • Straight stairlift experts: Users who have straight staircases can choose from several straight stairlift options, allowing them to choose the model that best meets their needs.
  • Quality products: All of Ascent's stairlifts are high quality and meet safety standards. The lifts come with two remote controls, safety edges, seat belts, diagnostic capabilities and parts and labor warranties.
  • Reconditioned lifts may be available: Users can save money by purchasing a lift that is reconditioned rather than one that is brand new. Reconditioned lifts are subject to availability.
  • Payment options: Users have a variety of payment options, including credit card, check, electronic check, Paypal and Paypal Credit.
  • Best for people with limited mobility and people with heart or lung issues.

Ascent Stairlifts Company Profile