4.8/5 (6539 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About Vivint Smart Home

Vivint Smart Home is a home security and home automation provider that offers professionally monitored and installed systems. Its product line includes doorbell cameras, outdoor and indoor cameras, security sensors, smart locks, garage door openers and smart thermostats. It requires no contracts, but customers have to pay for equipment upfront.

Pros

• Contract-free option available
    • Advanced tech and integrations
    • Fully customizable
    • Special military benefits

Cons

• Professional installation required
    • Must speak with agent for pricing

Bottom Line

Vivint offers advanced home security systems and home automation integration with 24/7 monitoring available. It requires professional monitoring, but customers can mix and match equipment.

Top Vivint Smart Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Verified

I had Vivint installed today. It was fast and outstanding service. The tech went over everything. I could not be happier. … We like the clarity of picture and sound from the porch...

Verified

I'm extremely satisfied on how easy the install, set up and equipment system is used. I plan to refer family and friends; show them how easy the system works & how affordable the ...

Information from Vivint on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Vivint has adopted several procedures to help contain the spread of the coronavirus and ensure the safety of its employees and customers. The company is performing daily health checks on all employees. Vivint's technicians are also following the social distancing guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and using protective sanitary equipment, such as gloves and hand sanitizer, when possible.

What is Vivint?

Vivint is a provider of security systems and additional safety products for homes and businesses alike. Because Vivint plans are highly customizable, customers must contact a sales representative for a free quote. However, customers who spend $599 on equipment or more qualify for a special rate of $29.99 a month. All Vivint security systems are professionally installed and monitored 24/7 by an experienced team.

Vivint pricing

Vivint’s costs start at $29.99 per month for customers who buy $599 worth of equipment or more and rise as you customize your home security package. All Vivint equipment must be installed professionally, and installation fees range from $49 to $199.

All packages include 24/7 monitoring with the option to add the following:

Smart locks
    vivint smart thermostat
    Smart thermostat

Vivint packages and monitoring

Vivint offers home security and home automation packages, including 24/7 monitoring and video surveillance. Vivint’s contract terms range from 42 to 60 months, but you can avoid a long-term contract altogether if you purchase your equipment upfront.

Vivint home security packages
    Vivint offers 24/7 monitoring on all its home security packages. The monitoring department can get you help in an emergency, from break-ins to medical alerts. Vivint has highly customizable packages, but each package starts with the basics: a burglar alarm, a smoke detector, a water sensor and a CO detector. From there, you can choose to add on more security equipment, including cameras, sensors, smart locks and more.
    Vivint home automation packages
    Vivint home automation starts with SkyControl Panel, standard on all packages. The SkyControl panel acts as your automation hub, complete with a two-way talk feature to communicate with Vivint’s monitoring center.

The SkyControl Panel’s touch-screen dashboard comes with free professional installation and includes the following capabilities, features and controls:

• Arming/disarming your system
    • Security camera footage
    • Panic button
    • Thermostat, lighting and appliance adjustment
    • Two-way communication
    • Encrypted network
    • Wireless connection
    • Backup battery

You can also choose to run your Vivint home automation through a smart device like Google Home and easily control features like temperature, lighting and your security system with just your voice.

Vivint equipment

Vivint offers both predesigned and custom equipment packages. You can add any of the following equipment options to your home alarm or home automation package to design your ideal home security system. Vivint requires professional installation for its equipment (starts at $49).

• SkyControl panel
    • Lamp module
    • Google Home

Home automation equipment

Element thermostat
    Vivint’s smart thermostat has built-in automation to optimize your home for both comfort and energy savings. You can control the device remotely through your phone or with voice control devices like the Amazon Echo. Features include mobile alerts and humidity tracking for optimized air quality in addition to energy-saving automation features. With the Element thermostat, you can set home and away times to use less energy while you’re out of the house and save on your bills.
    Smart locks
    Lock and unlock your home remotely through Vivint's app and receive alerts and notifications when your door is left unlocked. You can also enter your home with a PIN code, even if you've lost your keys. Your smart home system will disarm your alarm, turn the lights on and adjust your thermostat to your preferred setting upon entering your home.
    Garage door control
    Open and shut your garage door from anywhere with your mobile device. With smart home functionality, you can even receive an alert on your phone when you’ve left your garage door open.
    Ping camera
    A ping camera is an indoor camera with two-way talk features that allow you to communicate with your family even when you're away from home. Ideal for families with children, the ping camera can connect to your kids via your phone and give you a live, visual feed of what’s going on at your house.
    Doorbell camera
    Vivint’s doorbell camera features a wide-angle lens, two-way talk capabilities and night vision and can record video 24/7 for up to 30 days. The doorbell camera integrates with VivintSky, allowing you to unlock your front door, open your garage door or turn on your lights. You’ll get notifications when the camera detects a visitor, and smart motion detection initiates an automatic 30-second smart clip whenever it detects a person approaching your property.
    Philips Hue
    Vivint’s smart home lighting, Philips Hue, wirelessly connects for simple mobile or voice light control. You can set custom lighting rules, enabling lights to turn on and off on a schedule and coordinating lights by floor or other areas of your home. The smart lighting equipment operates with LED bulbs.

Vivint Smart Home FAQ

How long are Vivint contracts?
    Although a contract isn’t necessary, those who wish to finance can purchase a contract starting at 42 months. Month-to-month pricing is available as long as the equipment is paid for upfront.
    Does Vivint work without Wi-Fi?
    No, Vivint cameras run using a Wi-Fi network. You must also have Wi-Fi to use the control panel, which comes with each Vivint security system.
    Does Vivint spy on you?
    While Vivint doesn’t spy on you, hacking is always a possibility with any home security cameras that use wireless technology. Like most security companies, Vivint encrypts its cameras. To protect against hackers, Vivint recommends discussing security with your Wi-Fi provider.
    Does Vivint run a credit check?
    Vivint may run a credit check if you request a free quote or make a purchase. The Vivint privacy policy doesn’t specify if this is solely for customers seeking financing or not.
    Can Vivint be used without monitoring?
    No, all Vivint packages come with professional monitoring.
    Does the Vivint Sky Panel have a camera?
    The Vivint Sky Panel does not have a camera. This is a control panel that allows users to control all their home security equipment and communicate with Vivint security professionals.

Is Vivint worth it?

Vivint can be pricey compared to some security systems, namely because of the equipment. However, for those willing to pay more for home security, it seems the equipment is a big draw. Vivint users say the control panel is easy to use and praise the camera quality — particularly the doorbell cameras, which are often blurry. Additionally, customers can pick and choose which equipment is right for their home and needs, and professional monitoring is automatically included.

While Vivint isn’t for those on a tight budget, it is a good choice for the customer willing to pay a little more for peace of mind, knowing their security system is monitored 24/7 by a professional team.

Vivint Smart Home Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Smart Home?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Nate, a young man of 19 years, approached me when I was outside, but maintained significant distance, which helped me know he meant me no harm. He was very personable and professional, presenting Vivint as a company and moving through the presentation quickly and easily, answering questions and providing evidence on his iPad. He asked about 10-15 minutes into the conversation if I would mind letting him into the house, to sit at a table to continue his presentation. At first I declined, so he stepped a few feet back and continued the presentation. I noticed he was having a little trouble handling his iPad, and finally allowed him in. He was very courteous and polite, accompanying me to the table and patiently waiting as I pulled out chairs for us, staying in one position until I was ready.

As we sat and talked, Nate called in the Regional Manager, Ty, who arrived not long after, introduced himself, and joined us at the table. He was exceptionally personable and professional, answered all of my questions arising from his presentation, and kept Nate in the conversation, having him look things up on the internet and asking him to explain some things. The presentations they both gave and the Internet/Vivint displays they provided were very compelling. But it was the cost, along with the zero % interest rate, that sealed the deal. I was excited when they left, and an installation team had just arrived!

Drew and Jacob made an excellent installation team, working quickly and communicating very briefly when necessary. They were also very personable, joking with me intermittently and explaining things clearly. They had to come back in a day or two, to get the system tied to the Internet, but I had camera warnings and video footage the first night!

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback, Catherine! We are so glad to hear about your experience with Nate and how you're loving your system.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Marian was very helpful with moving the back door camera to the front door and setting up what he could without WiFi - although he did not patch the massive hole in my wall that the previous camera made so now I have to figure out how to cover that up so no bugs or rain water can get in and I don’t hear everyone that passes by my condo.

I was missing a few things apparently (an indoor camera and a glass break sensor, that I can remember) that I assume the previous owner took when they moved. I was disappointed to find out it would be an extra charge to get any of those items replaced, especially since I’m a new customer and already paid $90 something for the first month as a set up charge - shouldn’t I be given a few things to start up with Vivint? I just didn’t realize I would be paying for an install/activation ($90 something) and on top of that would have to pay $200 for window sensors (hard pass - that’s what I pay my HOA each month) and even more for cameras and glass break sensors. I thought that all would be included with the $90 charge because that’s what my parents said they got when they started with Vivint.

He also did not help me change my door code (and I forgot to ask to be fair) so... I don’t know, I guess I’ll have to call Vivint about how to do that along with what to do for an indoor camera since now I just have one at my front door and that’s the only security I have which, living alone, I’m not feeling great about that. The only reason I gave 4 stars is because the guy told me his pay would be reduced for anything lower and I’m not mad at him so that’s not fair of me to inadvertently do that to him - I’m mad at the Vivint company for not setting me up as a first time buyer with everything my parents were set up with as first time buyers. It’s not like you’re losing money on me by giving me a camera to put in my house or a glass break sensor. Or even - idk - window sensors on any of the literal 4 windows I have in my condo. Anyway, I’m probably yelling into the wind but maybe this helps y’all in the future to have better customer care.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback, Mercedes. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your billing and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Original review: June 21, 2020

I was impressed and pleased. I’ve had a plethora of previous experience with field technicians that don’t have half the competency and cordiality of Arthur. He was efficient and pleasant…his parents def have a sense of humor, as he was far from boring. He worked diligently to complete the purchased service, answered all of my questions, even the most robust, AND, I watched as he did troubleshooting for a particularly difficult portion of the installation involving our outdated doorbell chime with unlabeled wiring. Yes, sir! I’d call Arthur for all my future install issues. Vivint is blessed to have the guy on board! Keep putting people like AB on deck! I’m upset that the product I want to have installed would NOT work with my door. This should have been assessed before I paid and install day arrived.

BTW: I have one qualm. There is a question on the exit survey that implies a customer would end up paying again for something of which the full purchase price was submitted. AB explained what should happen next, so I am not worried, but the requirement to reply YES/NO made that a tense moment. I of course replied “NO”, but your system should allow for data transfer from the onset of the purchase journey. If I purchase equipment on full, a question should not come up that says something to the effect that “you will be charged the full amount” again. Trivial matter, but important to mention, nonetheless. In any case, kudos to the install guy Arthur B.! I learned a great deal about the process and the technology involved. Would love to add more parts/pieces to my Vivint home security puzzle…will probably get more people on board from the fam, too. Those are BIG facts!

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback, Charles! We are so glad to hear about your experience with Arthur and how you're loving your system. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your installation and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our chat team using this link: https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: June 7, 2020

As far as the products go, we are extremely pleased. Our technician (Neff) that installed the equipment was excellent! The salesman (Chris **) on the other hand, we are very displeased. Initially he was very nice and laid back, but when he came back to our house the next day for us to ask him a question about what he told us the day before he became defensive. First, we were told the system runs on cellular data only and not wifi which was something we really liked. Come to find out later it actually runs off WiFi until the power goes out then it goes to cellular. Nothing is wrong with that by any means, but your salesman, Chris, is giving false information.

Second, we were told our package would include the saved recordings which would enable us to rewind to anytime of the day. After the first day the system was put in, we noticed we were unable to look back at recordings. Our technician had to come back a second day to finish installing equipment which we then asked why we were unable to rewind and look back on the 24 hour surveillance. Neff then informed us that it was an add on that would cost more, when we were under the impression that it was already included in the package we discussed and agreed to.

We then asked Chris about it and he came over to the house to discuss our concerns. He told me that my wife must have heard it incorrectly which I didn’t appreciate at all because I heard exactly what she was told because I was there as well. I then proceeded to over hear him tell our technician “we were the only customers he has had that misinterpreted what he said” while my wife and I stepped away to discuss if we wanted to add the extra cost to our bill. At that time Chris called his manager and was told to let the tech deal with it because it was going to take 40 minutes. Chris then left and had Neff deal with it which caused him to continue working later than we were told, which was estimated to be around 2 hours. My wife and I both had work the next day, but understood Neff was just doing his job.

I’m very displeased with your salesman Chris ** due to the misinformation and then putting the blame on my wife and I for not understanding what he was selling us. I would take a better look at who you are sending out to represent your company. The only reason we are giving 4 stars is because of our technician, Neff who worked tirelessly and diligently to make sure we were happy with the products and also 4 stars because of the quality of the equipment.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback Paul! We are so glad to hear about your experience with Neff and how you're loving your system. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with Chris and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our chat team using this link: https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 27, 2020

While I was initially annoyed with a solicitation visit when we have a No Solicitation sign on our house, I'm glad we opened the door for this one. So far, so good - pros: professional and courteous, true to their word so far (they are buying out our former contract with ADT but that hasn't happened yet because ADT requires a 30 day cancellation notice, so they won't send us the final bill till after June 12); they were able to install faster than expected (but it took over 4 hours for the install and training); the system seems to be working well - love the fact you can set rules like arming and disarming your home at a specific time each day.

The only "con" to me, was the high pressure to switch. It's like they would not take "no" for an answer. Also, they were out of stickers for our doors so I still need to call for those. Lastly, the guy that sold us the system envisioned the hub going on our living room wall so we could always see who was walking up to our door but the installer said he could not put it there due to the configuration of wood and outlet in the wall so it's inconveniently located in our laundry room. This means we have to get out our phone, turn it on, open the app, wait for it to load, wait for the cameras to load, etc. before we can actually see who's at the door. This takes longer than expected!! But overall, it's a good system and I'd recommend it to a friend.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback Elaine! We are so glad to hear about your experience with your install and how you're loving your system. We would love to work with you and get some stickers and a sign sent out to you. So that we can, please contact our chat team using this link: https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 8, 2021

I’m a very new customer and I’m excited to use my new security system. Johnny hooked me up fast and efficient today. He told me how to use my system and make sure I was aware of all the great things Vivint offer. Thanks Johnny **.

Vivint Smart Home response

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing, Shakeria. We are so happy that you had a great experience and look forward to serving you in the future. Thanks for being a part of the Vivint Family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 8, 2021

We had a new Vivint security system installed today. From the initial sales contact to the installation crew, everyone did a fantastic job. We were well informed on the operation and capabilities of the system. We will definitely recommend Vivint to neighbors and friends.

Vivint Smart Home response

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing, (Customer Name). We are so happy that you had a great experience and look forward to serving you in the future. Thanks for being a part of the Vivint Family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 8, 2021

The sales representative Doug was very knowledgeable and helpful. He came in sat down and listened to all the things I wanted to ensure the safety of my family. Once we reviewed he showed me comparable systems and clearly Vivint offered the best value. The install was prompt and done very well. Great experience, definitely recommending to my friends!!

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Jennifer! We appreciate you giving us your feedback! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 8, 2021

The Representative was very knowledgeable and thorough. He did a great job with installation and explained the system very well. We just need a couple yard signs and window stickers. We did not get those. Otherwise everything is great! We love the system and camera.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Kathy! We appreciate you giving us your feedback! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 8, 2021

Was not expecting to be receive the Vivint Smart Home detector and a good experience today with the people helping. Erhan stopped by today and made sure he explained everything I needed to know, answered all my questions and concerns, helped me get the best what I could get and more at a unbeatable price range. Kody the tech that helped was also very good at installing in a fast manner and again also helped with any of my questions and concerns. 10/10 for service today.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Jordan! We appreciate you giving us your feedback! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Vivint Smart Home Company Information