Anchor Hocking Cookware
1.26/5

Looking for new cookware?

Anchor Hocking Cookware

Looking for new cookware?

Anchor Hocking Cookware Reviews

Original review: April 14, 2011

My Anchor Hocking 1 quart measuring cup exploded in the dishwasher. I never used the hot dry cycle on my dishwasher and the cup was in room temperature when it went in to the dishwasher. There should have been no reason for this.

Original review: March 28, 2011

I was cooking dinner for family, had casserole in microwave. After the time was up, I removed my glass casserole bowl. About the time I sat it down, it blew up in front of me and other food. I had not thought anymore about the previous time. The same thing happened. My mom got glass in her foot this morning as it was like a bomb that went off. I was glad my kids were not in the room. This was a dangerous situation.

Original review: March 24, 2011

I was baking with an 8x8 Anchor Hocking dish and had the dish at room temp before putting it in the oven. I put my chicken into the dish and placed it into the preheated oven (375 degrees). Once the chicken was done cooking I placed the dish on a pot holder on the counter (which was not wet, to say the least). I went to go take the chicken out of the dish and it exploded. Glass went flying everywhere, nearly missing my eyes, and I have cuts on my feet because I instinctively backed up when the dish exploded.

Original review: March 7, 2011

I was at the computer in the kitchen about a week ago and suddenly heard the sound of breaking glass. I searched all over the house and couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from.

I went back to the kitchen and started opening cupboards only to find that my 2 qt. Anchor hocking batter bowl had exploded in the cupboard! The cupboard wasn't abnormally hot or cold and I haven't used the bowl in several days. It was just sitting there. The bowl says "freezer, refrigerator, microwave...safe" so it has never been used on the stove or in the oven before.

I have no idea why it spontaneously combusted but I am so very thankful that our kids (ages 1 and 3) didn't happen to be playing in/near that cupboard when the bowl shattered. What a disaster that could have been! As it was, it took a long time to clean up and a week later, I'm still finding glass shards in the cupboard. Thankfully the greatest damage is what could have been. The girls weren't in the kitchen at the time and the cupboard door was closed.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2011

I was using the large square glass dish to bake barbecue pork chops. The chops were done and I picked it up with my oven glove. I also felt something peculiar in the solidity of what I was holding immediately. Then, it suddenly exploded! Glass shards, boiling barbecue sauce and grease shot everywhere. I turned my head to the left and the hot grease and shards of glass went up from my neck bone, up to the center of my throat to under my chin--and a spot on top of my chin on my face. I hadn't even had time to set it down. It exploded while holding it with my left hand (gloved). Thank goodness I was wearing a long sleeve, long pants and socks--and that I threw my face to the left so quickly that only my neck up and under my chin to a spot on my chin got burned.

I have some minor scratches on my throat area from the smallest of shards which singed into my clothes and my area carpet of the kitchen. I have heard of these explosions of glassware if put from heat to cold. I had never thought that that glass would have exploded in my oven mitt. I had to throw out my area rug, and my clothes were singed with large pieces of glass. There were also some small shards in my hair as I showered immediately because my neck was instantly burning as the glass exploded. I didn't know whether my throat was cut or burnt.

Fear surged me immediately. I dare not move as I hollered for my 9-year old daughter. She came into the room. I had her stop immediately, but look towards my neck to tell me if I was bleeding or just burnt. The pain was intense momentarily. I have other pieces of the glassware set and no intention of using this cookware again! Thank goodness I was quick enough to close my eyes and throw my head away from the exploding glass. As a few minor burns, singed clothing, and small cuts to my hands is all I suffered. Someone really should follow up on these complaints as I am sure that I will not hear anything to my complaint.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anchor Hocking?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2011

My glass baking dish exploded on me due to a mistake of placing it on my stove top that I forgot to turn off. I have shards of glass everywhere in my house and I am still finding them after 10 days. The dish exploded in my face, hands, and I now have a huge gash in my left foot on the ball joint. I have been out of work now for 10 days, my linoleum and carpet are burned and melted. I have a hefty E.R. bill to pay since I am uninsured and I do not have paid time off. I lost over a week's pay totaling more than $1,000.00. Plus, my wound is huge, deep and it hurts very bad. Also, all my Super Bowl food was ruined since the glass exploded in it. Now, I am half afraid to use glassware. I also have a picture of my sliced foot.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2011

I was making dinner last night with our 9x11" glass casserole dish made by Anchor. I pulled the dish out of the oven, set it on the stove-top to cool off for a few minutes before cutting the casserole to serve for dinner. About five minutes later, we heard the knife fall to the floor and a loud "Boom" sound. We look up to find that our casserole dish had exploded all over the stove, counters, and floor! There was glass everywhere. It took over an hour to clean up all of the tiny shards of glass and even the large pieces were still shattering when we moved them off the counters. We have small kids. We were so thankful that they were sitting at the table and not near the stove.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2011

I was washing my 10.5 x 14.75 x 2.25 inch Anchor ovenware baking dish today. It was at room temp and I had cleaned most of the food out of it the night before. I was using warm water but it was not too hot as it did not burn my hands. I went to set the dish on a towel on the counter and it exploded. There was not much change in temperature. I can't explain why. I don't think I will use my other Anchor brand dishes. I had cuts on my hands from the flying glass but it was not hot so I did not get burned.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2011

I was given, as a gift this past Christmas, an Anchor bake pan with a red cover. Today, as I was hand washing it, and lifted out of water to rinse with hot water, it literally shattered in my hand and sent shards and slivers of glass everywhere.

I had glass embedded in three places on my hand that was holding the pan. I bled for about half an hour and couldn't use my hand till an hour later.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2011

Earlier today, I went shopping at local Wal-Mart. I bought 2 Anchor glass measuring cups (1-cup, code number 7644055175). I bought this after buying the three piece set back in November of 2010. Since then, I used the 1 cup almost daily. At this time, the high temp red paint that is used to mark out the measurements has washed completely. So, I replaced it today. The clerk wrapped each cup with double plastic. At getting home and putting everything else away, I unwrapped the cups and put one in dishwasher. I had only room for one. I sat the other in our stainless steel sink. There was another glass and a plastic lid in the sink. Everything was fine. My husband was watching TV in living room. There was no wall between the kitchen/living room. The couch sets' back were facing the kitchen.

Anyway, I was tending the stove and dicing up an onion for hotdogs. Then all of a sudden, no warning, nothing, the explosion of glass just shattered in the sink, peppering the counter and floor. It shattered into thousands of pieces. The handle is the only solid piece left. My husband came running into the kitchen to see what was going on, to see if I was okay. There are big enough pieces that look just like spider cracks, just like a damaged windshield that cracks. I bagged up the pieces. I have not contacted anyone yet. I have googled Anchor glass. I found that they have pages of complaints. And I found about change of hands and bankruptcy.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2011

The cardboard between the layers of new glasses I bought says embalming fluid with Enthrone! I have called and left messages with the company with no response. I don't know if this is their policy, to reuse embalming fluid boxes. However, we, as consumers, would like to feel safe. This sure doesn't make me feel comfortable. Just the lack of trust in this company. Wondering what kind of chemicals they are exposing us to.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2011

Recently, I purchased a new two-cup Pyrex measuring cup. The first time I used it, I was heating two cups of water in the microwave. It exploded, blowing the microwave door open, and glass and water flew everywhere. Much of the water ran into the working parts of the microwave and ruined the motor of the turntable. My husband was sitting close by and saw the whole episode. We are so thankful that neither of us was injured.

Cleaning up the glass and water was a big job. My husband was able to remove the motor and ordered a new one. He successfully replaced it, but the cost was over $50. It is disgusting to think that a new $3.77 measuring cup could end up with such a mess and expense. We feel that Anchor Hocking should reimburse us for this accident involving their product.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2011

I tossed diced carrots in olive oil and put them in an Anchor Hocking 8x8 baking dish. I had the oven on bake and 500 deg. The oven may have gotten into the 300's when I put the dish in. Within minutes, it exploded.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2011

I bought a 4-quart Anchor Hocking bowl. I washed it out and put it in the cupboard. A few hours later, I went to use it in the microwave (it was microwave-and-oven-safe). I put in margarine, sugar and evaporated milk to start my fudge recipe and I set the microwave for 3 minutes. Around 45 seconds into the cycle, I heard a loud explosion from inside the microwave. The bowl had exploded. There were hundreds of pieces of glass in the microwave, along with the ingredients. I opened up the microwave and stood there in shock. The biggest piece was around an inch square. Most of the pieces were tiny shards. I had to get several store bags to wrap my hands in so I could get this glass out of the microwave, and mop up the glass shards with paper towels, as well as clean up the mess. As careful as I was, I ended up with glass shards in my fingers and was picking them out with tweezers.

How can this company continue to sell these products if they are so bad? If it had exploded as I was taking it out of the microwave, I could have been seriously hurt! These products are a menace!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2010

I have read many complaints about the glass cooking pans exploding. The same thing happened to me with the glass 9 by 12 hot and cold baking dish. It is very dangerous because it didn't just break, it sent glass shards everywhere. This needs to be recalled and people compensated for the cost of their dishes. I bought a set but am afraid to use the others.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2010

I had a 9 x 13 Anchor Hocking glass baking dish blow in my oven. The oven was set at 400 degrees. I placed the dish in the oven and shut the door to bake the meat. The dish was in the oven 15 minute when I heard the explosion/cracking/boom (no kidding). I immediately shut the oven off. The mess was insurmountable!

The house filled with smoke. I had to wait until the smoke cleared and the oven cooled to begin the clean-up. I had to take the oven apart to remove all the glass. I am not sure if I was able to retrieve all glass pieces. I lost a dish, expensive pork chops, potatoes, a throw rug, two oven mitts, four kitchen towels, 4 kitchen cloths, a roll of paper towels, a pair of work gloves, a vacuum cleaner bag (to clean around the oven to make sure all glass shards were removed), cost of eating dinner out, time, energy, frustration, and who knows what else!

I am not sure if the oven is in proper working order. I am a bit fearful to go near it for the now. I contacted Anchor Hocking. I am still awaiting a return phone call. The product was bought at my local Walmart. I spoke to a manager at Walmart. He was not helpful except to say he was not aware of any problems with the dish and I could return the dish for a refund. I thought ok - I returned the glass balls, pieces, and slithers. They gave me back my money. There obviously is something wrong with the product from Anchor Hocking and the public should be warned.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2010

I bought a 4 quart bowl that is microwaveable and I had mixed up Chex Mix and had it in the microwave under 400 degrees. Not even 2 minutes went by and it exploded. I wasn't gonna eat the Chex Mix with all that glass pieces in it. I had called Walmart and talked to the manager about it. If there was a recall on this, why was it still on the shelf? I had to throw away about 4 quarts of Chex Mix. Try picking up glass through the mess without cutting yourself. It's not easy. I did get a little prick out of it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2010

I was cooking a roaster chicken. As I was basting it the Anchor Hocking 13x9 glass pan exploded, spraying shards of glass in the oven and out of it. I was lucky not to get any glass in my face. I will not be using my other pan.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2010

I received an Anchor Hocking glass baking dish with an insulated tote. I used it for the first time and made a broccoli casserole in it at 350 oven. I removed the baking dish and put it in the tote. I heard a loud pop inside the tote. I opened the tote and the glass dish had shattered. There was a million pieces of glass. Thank God it didn't shatter 5 minutes before that as I would have been holding it. Or it could have shattered in the oven, causing a huge mess. I am worried about using any glass baking dish because of this incident. It is important you find what is wrong with these baking dishes as I have heard on the news of this happening to many people.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2010

I was cooking in oven last night, Dec. 8, 2010, in the baking glass dish. I opened the oven and within not a minute the glass shattered all over, big small pieces all over. I did get some scratches, but thank God it’s not worse and had my glasses on! This is extremely unacceptable. I read other similar complaints. Please look into this before someone gets really hurt.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2010

When we went to remove the casserole dish from the cupboard, it exploded into a million pieces. I've never seen anything like this with cookware and it scared me because my grandson was in the kitchen at the time. There was not so much as a piece even an inch big.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2010

I had a heavy piece of Anchor Hocking bakeware that I had used for about 2 years. I put it in the dishwasher last night and ran the cycle. Today, I opened the washer and started unloading the dishes. As soon as I touched it, it exploded. It did not fall apart. It exploded into a million pieces. Glass was all over my dishwasher, went out of my dishwasher 8 or 9 feet across the room on the floor and counters! I couldn't believe I wasn't cut. My hand hurt for about an hour from the force of the impact and it shook me up pretty good. I called my dad to come see it and we videotaped and took photos. Took forever to get my dishwasher cleaned out. Do not buy this product!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2010

I was making turkey pot pie in a 375 degree oven (Thanksgiving leftovers), in an 8" square baking dish. 17 minutes later, we were startled to hear a gunshot like sound from the kitchen. I opened the oven door and was shocked to find the glass dish had totally shattered.

Thank you Anchor Hocking for using tempered glass so there are no sharp shards to cut myself on when I go to clean up the mess in my oven - that is after I let everything cool so I can clean the heating elements, oven racks, oven walls and glass door. I'm shocked and appalled to find this is not a first situation. Rather, there are hundreds of others out there who have encountered similar situations. I'll be in touch with A.H. come a business day, and will be sure to post my status on various review boards.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2010

I purchased two Anchor Hocking 3-piece 2-quart Oven Basics casserole dishes to use today, Thanksgiving, to take my casseroles to my sister’s for dinner. Boy, how I wish I had read the complaints here before using. I had them both in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. I went to grab the pot holders to remove from the oven when I heard a loud pop and the oven started shaking and rattling. Needless to say, I had the same experience as many others have noted here. Thank goodness, I didn't open the oven. One of the bowls exploded! Glass pieces everywhere. These need to be taken off the market before someone gets seriously injured!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2010

I put a half of a ham in my anchor hocking casserole dish in the oven at 350 for 3 hours. After basting on the second hour, I went back to watching some TV and I heard a strange sound. Opened the oven and the glass dish had exploded into a thousand pieces in my oven.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2010

I cooked an apple pie at 400 degrees in an Anchor glass pie plate, which was labeled as oven and microwave safe. It exploded about 20 minutes into baking, and fortunately, it happened in the oven so there were no injuries. It’s very disappointing.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2010

About six weeks ago my husband and I were awakened by a loud bang. The loud bang caused us so much concern we got up and looked all over the house but didn't find anything out of order. However, the next morning when I opened the cupboard door to put away a clean glass dish, pieces of glass fell to the countertop. I had found the source of the "loud bang"! Two days ago, an Anchor Hocking bowl went to pieces in the cupboard. I couldn't believe it-2 pieces of glassware exploding while in the cupboard! Why? This is dangerous! I have told family and friends about this. Be assured I will never buy another Anchor product. Consumers need to be warned.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2010

I purchased the 3-piece set of Anchor Hocking baking dishes a couple of weeks ago along with one 10X13 baking dish. I took it out of the cupboard to use last week and baked chicken breast at 3500. I opened up the oven to take it out and the whole baking dish had exploded in a million pieces. Needless to say, the dinner was ruined and my oven was a complete mess. Last night, I was baking stuffed shells and the same thing happened. Again, another ruined dinner and another mess. Please take it off the market. I want to be reimbursed. It’s a wonder that no one got hurt. I have used Anchor Hocking many many years ago and had no problems. What did the company do to change their formula? I will, from now on, buy Pyrex. I have had one dish for 20 years and no problem. For your information, I also purchased it at WalMart.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2010

Now, I know that you have read on this site about this company's glass pans blowing up after they take them out of the oven, when they put it in or while it was in there. But believe it or not, my story has nothing to do with an oven. I am in college and bought Anchor's three piece set. We made a cake at 9 o'clock in the evening. We let the cake cool, iced it, and ate it.

About half an hour later, I took the rest of the cake out and put it in some Tupperware. Now, mind you, it is 74 degrees in this room. It is about 19 ft by 15 ft. After I took the cake out, we sat around for about an hour or so. We went to bed and the next morning, my roommate had class at noon. She woke up and got ready. She heated up a microwave dinner to lukewarm! You could hold this dinner in your hand because it was so cool! She set it in the pan for about nine seconds, took it out, and sat down on the floor eating it for about 10 minutes. She left for class.

Twenty minutes later, I was asleep in my bed, and I woke up to a noise that sounded like somebody pushed our microwave and all the stuff on top of it off of our refrigerator. It was that loud. I looked around and the microwave was still there. My roommate wasn't in the room. There was nobody else in there. I looked down and there was glass all over my room. I was shaking because I was so scared. I took the other two pans home and I am terrified to use them. I had to ride with them in my truck and was scared to turn the a/c on. I was that scared. I could have gotten seriously hurt. And if my roommate had been there 15 more minutes sitting in the floor right next to it, she could have gotten hurt even worse.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2010

I have 2 glass anchor lasagna pans. I was cooking BBQ turkey legs in a 375 degree oven. When I went to take it out, it exploded and shards of glass when flying everywhere. They even flew into my face and luckily I didn't get anything in my eye, however in the process of cleaning up the mess, I cut my foot.

Thank God my kids were not in the room when it happened. How do I contact this company to make a formal complaint? I will not be using the other pan anymore. I'm terrified.

Anchor Hocking Cookware Company Information