2. Homeowners

Anchor Hocking Cookware

Anchor Hocking Cookware
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.26/5

Anchor Hocking Cookware Reviews

Original review: April 12, 2012

I was baking swordfish steaks for Easter dinner at 400F. I opened the oven, reached in with a mitten and began to lift out the 9 x 12 casserole dish when it exploded. The hot glass cut my hand. Most ended up in the oven, but numerous pieces landed on the linoleum floor leaving burn marks all over it. It took nearly two hours to clean up the mess. Thankfully, my 8-year old son was not standing close by for it would have hit him in the face. I will never buy Anchor Hocking products again.

Original review: April 9, 2012

I’m making an Easter morning breakfast for company coming over. The dish was at room temp, baked for 1 hour and set on top of the stove. I came home from church. The dish had shattered and there was glass all over the kitchen and inside my burners. There went my breakfast and faith in this company. I will never use any Anchor products I own again. It is very dangerous. Thank God, my children's dogs were not here yesterday morning as they are during the week.

Original review: March 27, 2012

I was remodeling my kitchen and hadn't had a home-cooked meal in a month. I made a shepherd pie in one of the anchor casserole dishes with my 3 kids. We had it ready to put in the oven and we all turned away for something and it just exploded into a million pieces. Thank goodness that we were not looking that way, we could have had glass in our eyes. Needless to say, before I left for work that night, all my food and hard work were left in shambles with my kids having to eat junk for supper. It is hard enough being without a kitchen forever and then to have that happen.

Original review: March 23, 2012

My husband was baking a chicken and pulled it out of the oven, everything was fine. Then he tried to put hot water in the baking dish and it exploded on the kitchen counter, sinks and floor. The damage was quite extensive. In 30+ years of baking and cooking, neither of us have ever had this happen. It was quite a cleanup and we had to call the apartment maintenance to come and take apart the disposal drain, as it was filled with glass. I got cut twice on my hand and my husband cut his foot. What has happened to this product to cause such chaos?

Original review: March 16, 2012

I was making apple crisp. All of the ingredients were room temperature. Nothing was cold. It was put in a 375 oven. Shortly after putting it in, a loud explosion came from the oven. I thought one of the racks was not in the right position, but that is highly not possible. When I looked in the oven, there were all of the apples, the sugar and other components everywhere. Plus, I might add that glass was everywhere. It took my husband and I about 2 1/2 hours to clean up this horrible mess, plus the glass went under the fixed oven part that contains the burner and such.

We have to find out if the gas connection has the glass and such in it where we cannot possibly reach. Otherwise, we will have to take the oven out of the kitchen to have it completely taken apart. So the gas does not build up in there, and who knows what? What kind of product do you sell that this happens? I had used this 8x8 pan once before. It was brand new. Please get back to me as to why this would happen. And do I dare ever use your products again, which I once trusted?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anchor Hocking?

Original review: March 15, 2012

Today, 3/15/2012, my daughter was checking some chicken we were baking and when she opened the oven, the dish exploded into pieces. Praise the Lord, she didn't get hurt. I have two of the same dishes. I want my money back. They are the loaf glass dishes used for oven. I've used them before and this isn't the only time I've heard of this product doing this and will never buy again.

Original review: March 5, 2012

I purchased these for storage and microwaving. I do not us the plastic lids in cooking or in dishwasher—still, they are ripping apart. Therefore, they are not reliable for storage in fridge.

Original review: March 5, 2012

Oven Baking Dish: I was roasting a Cornish game hen in my oven on an Anchor 9 x 12 baking dish. I opened the oven and added more liquid. I heard a crinkling sound and then an explosion. The glass exploded into many small chunks and blew all over the kitchen and of course the oven is full of glass. The meal was ruined. I have several of these dishes, but I am afraid to use them after this mess.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2012

I had a chicken breast baking in the dish at 375, and some broccoli roasting on a small sheet pan next to the chicken. I was in the next room, and heard a very loud noise. It scared me at first. I didn't know what it was. I opened the oven, and there were glass fragments everywhere in the broccoli, the chicken, and all over the bottom of the oven. Obviously, I did not eat my meal, and still have it in the oven, cooling, afraid of it shattering again into my face or eyes. I am annoyed! I see a lot of complaints about this all over the internet. Why has someone not removed these from the market, and recalled the rest. I have one more of this exact dish. I will be throwing it away.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2012

I was making banana bread preheated the oven to 350. Thirty five minutes into baking, my glass bread pan burst sending glass all over the bottom of my oven and making my bread have a distorted shape. I was bringing it to a tea party.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2012

The blue lids for the Anchor bowls are faulty. I have not used the bowl lids in the microwave, and I have only washed them by hand. It is advertised that I could do both. So far both lids for the 2.5 qt. bowls have cracked the very first time I used them. I e-mailed "Anchor" to advise them of the problem and they have not contacted me. I am trying to 'live green" by purchasing bowls with lids, but I am back to using Saran wrap to act as a cover for the bowl.

It would have been proper public relations to at least get back to me. I would like replacements for their defective bowls--lids that do not crack. It seems that the Anchor people are aware of the problem as they have a website that makes it easier for the consumer to 'purchase' just the lids for all their bowls. It is poor customer relations to sell a faulty product and expect us to put more money out to their company when it is clearly their fault. I do not want a lawyer to contact me. I just want useable lids for my bowls. I would like someone from Anchor to contact me.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2012

I was reheating leftovers and when I opened the microwave to remove my "microwavable" plate, the dish exploded. Thankfully my two children were nowhere around because glass went everywhere. I would like a refund but can't find any information on how to contact the manufacturer. Please give me some information.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2012

I bought Anchor glass bowls with blue lids and the lids are all ripping and I have washed them by hand not in the dishwasher. I would like them replaced. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2012

My husband was heating leftovers in my Anchor Hocking Microwave safe bowl in the microwave. Two minutes into heating, the bowl exploded in my microwave. I am so glad that it didn't happen after he opened the door. My microwave is on eye-level! I want my money back! I don't want another bowl!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2012

I cooked BBQ chicken in my 9x13 anchor bake dish. I took it out of the oven, set it on the table on pot holders as I have done before. We all four started eating, approximately 5 to 8 minutes later, the entire bake dish exploded on the table and I mean exploded. My first thought was the overhead light fell onto the table, however, it was the dish. We tried to salvage the meal that was left but glass was actually inside the chicken thighs, in the butter tub, in the potatoes all over the floor. I chewed on a piece of glass that was infused in the chicken, I thought it was clear but it wasn't. I guess I shouldn't have eaten anything else but we had dinner guests and tried to salvage the meal that my girlfriend worked 2 hours on.

The dish exploded so hard it scratched up the kitchen table around and under the dish. I still can't believe this happened. None of us has ever seen anything like this. Thankfully, the glass stayed low to the table and no one got hurt by the shattered glass. Hopefully, no one ate any either.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2012

I got a three piece glass casserole set for Christmas. As I opened the plastic on the three-piece set, the bottom dish, which was the biggest, shattered. I have sent an email before to the company to see what I could do about replacing the dish and there was no reply. I had ended up stepping on one of the pieces of shattered glass. It took me forever to get it all cleaned up.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2012

I was heating up a Knorr Pasta Sides in my microwave in one of my Anchor Hocking mixing bowls (which I received as a gift from my mother last Christmas 2010). I started eating and I felt something hard go down the back of my throat, the next bite I bit into something crunchy. I examined my food to find a shard of glass about an inch long in my pasta. I threw the rest away and called my doctor.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2012

I'm sending pics of exploding bakeware. My 2-year-old grandson had 2 pieces in his foot, because when we opened the oven door to check, it shot out near the broiler door. I have the bakeware frozen in the basement freezer if you would like proof.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2012

The baking pan exploded while cooking dinner! It exploded after 15 minutes in the oven. After reading all the comments on here, they should all be recalled. I called Anchor Hocking and they want me to send the glass dish back so they can test it. Well, there is nothing left but small chips and they are going to replace the dish. I'm not sure if I'll use their dishes again to cook!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2012

My husband was melting butter in our microwave in an Anchor Hocking 4-cup glass measuring cup. It is 11 years old, used many times. When opening the door of the microwave, the glass measuring cup exploded and butter and shards of glass were everywhere, even shooting across the kitchen. It was microwaved only 10-15 seconds on high temp.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2012

We have an old pyrex bowl that I've used for thirty years. I just noticed a small chip from the side. I was heading to the recycling bin with it, and my husband grabbed it. "We can sand this and it will be as good as new!" says this normally smart man. He was not kidding and he agreed to abide by advice I find on the net, since I evidently have no credibility here.

He doesn't know it yet but the bowl is in the bin. Would you please set him straight on his wacko idea? I have no problem with the manufacturer of the bowl, of course. My problem is with my husband's ideas that he can fix anything in his workshop. Please help.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2011

I heated some chili in a glass Anchor Hocking dish in the microwave. About five to ten minutes after I took it out of the microwave, I had it in my hand and it exploded. Glass shards went everywhere--in my hair, down my back, all over my hard woods (leaving divots) all over the room. Luckily, I was looking up at the time or it would have exploded right in my face. I walked away with only a tiny cut on my finger. Fortunately, no one was hurt. The glass left divots in my hardwood floors but other than that, just a huge mess.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2011

I bought a set of two Anchor Hocking 9x13 baking dishes about a year and a half ago. I was baking some flounder last night (12/28/2011) when one of the dishes exploded violently: I set both dishes out on the counter top from the cupboard and turned on the oven to start pre-heating it to 350 (F). The dishes were room temperature at the time. I sprayed both dishes with cooking spray and then put in a layer of fish from the refrigerator and topped the fish with spices and lemon juice. I then put the dishes on the middle rack of the oven, which read 325 degrees at the time. The dishes were side by side, not touching each other and not touching the sides, back, or door of the oven.

At 9 minutes, I opened the oven a small amount to look at the fish. The lemon juice around the fish had just started boiling in the bottom of the dishes. I closed the door gently. 2 or 3 seconds after, I closed the door of the oven (enough time to cross the kitchen to the microwave stand). I heard a loud bang from the oven. When I looked in, one of the dishes had exploded violently, spraying the top, sides, back, bottom, and door of the oven with pulverized glass and fish. The other dish was unharmed, but filled with a thin layer of glass chunks.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2011

I was using my Anchor baking dish to cook my Christmas eve ham. When I took it out of the oven and set it on the stove the pan exploded, ruining my entire dinner because the charred glass went everywhere and I still had the oven door open. If I would have bent down to shut the door, it would have got me in the face. So needless to say, our holiday was ruined. I received this baking set as a gift last Christmas and loved it, but I think it’s time to throw the rest of the pans away to prevent a future accident. I’m surprised reading all the comments about this bake ware and its exploding. I think its time for a recall!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2011

On 12/27/11, my wife took a 12"x 9" dish of meatloaf from our oven and set down to cool. After sitting in the open air for about 15 minutes, the dish exploded into a thousand pieces. Luckily, no one was hurt and just some food and time was lost. I'm concerned about the other Anchor items we have.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2011

I preheated my 9x12 glass pan. Took it out of oven to put hot macrone (it was also cooked drained and hot). The pan blew up and out. Large pieces of glass on floor counters and top of stove. Part of small pieces of glass melted on rug in front of the sink. The oven was at 350.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2011

I just discovered a second bowl that has exploded. This one contained coconut and don't think it had ever been used for cooking. It's never been a dishwasher. A couple months ago, I heard a loud bang in my kitchen then later found the biggest size of bowl (with lids) had shattered in the cupboard. I was sitting at the table at the time. I had no idea this could happen but this is scary now that I have read so many other accounts of these bowls exploding. This is so dangerous! I will be contacting the department store where I purchased them and let them know and will not be getting any others. Very, very scary.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2011

I was making baked ziti. It was in the oven for approximately 40 minutes at 350 degrees when I heard a loud explosion in the kitchen. I opened the oven to find the Anchor Hocking bake ware exploded into hundreds of pieces. This baking dish has not been used more than ten times and had no chips or cracks. I took photos if needed. Thankfully, the explosion happened while the dish was still in the oven or I could have sustained severe burns from the sauce. My bake ware is destroyed and I will be throwing out all other Anchor Hocking products that I own. Cleaning the oven was a daunting task, taking over an hour to clean and ensure all the glass was gone. Now I am stuck going to Burger King for dinner tonight.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2011

I was fixing chicken and took it out. I sat it on the counter and it exploded everywhere, come a hair hitting me in the eye. I will never buy or use your bake ware or anything you make ever again. You need to make it right and send me my money back for what I was out.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2011

I received large set of cookware (2 large oblong casserole dishes, 3 small bowls with plastic lids). I received this as a wedding gift about 3 weeks ago. The largest of the two casserole dishes was chipped off on the side, as well as one of the small bowls with lid.

Anchor Hocking Cookware Company Information