2. Homeowners

Anchor Hocking Cookware

Anchor Hocking Cookware
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

Anchor Hocking Cookware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anchor Hocking Cookware?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anchor Hocking?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2011

I was cooking a birthday cake for my six year old. I was absolutely shocked when my Anchor Hocking glass baking dish exploded as soon as I removed it from the oven. Shards of glass went everywhere, ruining the cake and cupcakes that were on the counter and causing a huge and dangerous mess in my sink, my counters, and on the floors. My poor dogs heard me scream and came running into the kitchen. I'm waiting to see if their feet will bleed. I will never use Anchor Hocking again, and in fact, I am throwing out all of my Anchor Hocking and replacing them with Metal Bakeware. Be aware!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2011

I was broiling fish in the oven for supper. I heard a crack from the oven and when I opened the door, I found the Anchor Hocking pan had split into three pieces. I've never heard of this happening to anyone until I went online and found this site.

My experience was a lot better than some of the other people. Anybody gotten any satisfaction from the Anchor Hocking Corporation for these problems?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2011

I was baking vegetables in a blue glass Anchor Hocking lasagna style baking dish. The oven was at 450 degrees and the food had been cooking for about 20 minutes when we heard a loud boom from the oven and found that the baking dish had shattered completely while inside the oven. Some pieces were very sharp and the entire dish blew into a million pieces and tiny fragments.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2011

Consumers need to be aware that their glass baking pans do explode. I was using an 8 x 8 pan to bake brownies. I took it out of the oven to check and see if the brownies were done by placing it on my stovetop, which had not been used. I determined by using a toothpick that the brownies needed a few more minutes to cook and immediately placed them back into the oven. Approximately 3 minutes later, the pan had exploded inside the oven. The glass was shattered in a thousand sharp pieces and my oven was a mess. Thankfully neither I, nor any family members were injured. I will never use an Anchor glass pan again, it was terrifying! Someone is going to be seriously injured or blinded from these pans.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2011

Me, Amanda **, and Matthew ** were cooking chicken pot pies in a glass anchor cooking ware. We were cooking them for my son, nieces and nephews. When we pulled out the glass cooking pan and put it on our safe stove top, the anchor cooking pan exploded when we put it down. The glass flew everywhere. I got some glass in my foot but thank God, no one was seriously injured and the children were in the living room. These glass pans from anchor cookware are not safe.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2011

I was baking pork chops in my oven. My husband opened the door to check on the chops when the baking pan exploded in his face. Glass flew through out my kitchen, into his face, stomach, leg and a shard of glass scratched his eye.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2011

I bought a measuring cup and have only used it 7 or 8 times. I was sitting on the couch eating mashed potatoes out of it (just because I wanted to) and I noticed my jeans had turned bright red. I thought I was bleeding.

As it turned out, the measuring red dye on the outside was bleeding off all over everything. It ruined my sofa, my jeans and favorite shirt.

Original review: July 28, 2011

This makes my 3rd bad experience within a 1 year time. 1st time had company,made a huge pan of lasagna,looked and smelled great,but never got to taste it . The dish blew up in the oven,what a mess . Had to send out for pizza to feed the company we had, ONLY COST ME AND EXTRA $45.00 to feed everyone. the 2nd dish blew up as I taken it out of the oven.And the third was my large deep dish, It busted after it had gotten cold and my husband put it in the sink to wash it and when it touched the hot water it exploded.

Original review: July 18, 2011

I put a small glass container in the refrigerator and then used it for a vinegar dipping sauce. When I was dining with my family, and the container warmed up to room temperature, the container completely exploded into many small pieces on our dining room table. It was an unbelievable experience. I told my wife this was a poltergeist, but she said it was simply quality defect on behalf of Anchor.

Original review: July 15, 2011

I was cooking pork tenderloin inside the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes when I heard a loud bang in the kitchen. Upon investigation, I discovered that the Anchor Hocking glassware, in which I was baking the pork, exploded/shattered inside the oven.

Original review: June 16, 2011

I can't believe the amount of complaints, I have already read about this seriously defective product and am angry that consumers are not being made aware of this. On June 14, 2011, I made chicken enchiladas and used an Anchor Hocking baking dish. The dish was in the oven, set at $375 for only 20 minutes when I heard a loud boom. I opened the oven door and the dish had exploded into pieces. I was only minutes away from opening the oven door to remove the dish. I will never use this product again and will make sure my family and friends avoid using this hazardous product too.

Original review: June 6, 2011

I just heard a loud pop in my microwave and it continues to pop. I was warming up some water in my measuring glass and it just popped. I've done this before and it never happened. My microwave has so much glass chafes in the crevices and in the holes where the vent is.

Original review: May 26, 2011

My baking dish of one year exploded as I was opening the oven. There were hundreds of glass shards embedded in the hot oven and on the floor. The exploding shards barely missed my eyes. Today May 25th, 2011, I happened to see a spot on the news that this has happened to many others and glass chemistry analysis shows that it is regular glass not suitable for oven temperatures. Class action.

Original review: May 25, 2011

I bought an Anchor Hocking, I believe, an 8" round-class mold. I used it several times without any problems, mainly to do a dessert (flan). On Friday, May 21, 2011, I was doing another flan and caramelizing the sugar, when the mold exploded sending pieces everywhere.

Several pieces burned my face, fingers, and, worst of all, hot pieces burned my lips. I have been trying to cure the burns myself, but after 5 days, I think I have an infection and am going to the doctor tomorrow. I also went to Walmart and spoke with the general manager to alert him of the poor quality of this product. He said that they cannot remove it from the store, unless it comes from the corporate office.

Original review: May 21, 2011

I was baking brownies to take to our monthly social group in an 8 x 8 Anchor oven-proof pan. I had the pan at room temperature before putting it in a 350F oven. It was in the oven for 25 minutes and I checked the brownies and they were done so I took the pan out and set it on a cork hot mat. About one minute later, I was standing beside the pan and heard a big bang. The pan exploded and the whole area was covered in glass shards.

My brownies were ruined! I am so thankful that I did not get any glass lodged in me as I was standing right beside the explosion. It took us over half an hour to clean up and our food was all ruined! I thought that this was an isolated incident but apparently, it is not.

It could have been a serious injury and the food was ruined.

Original review: May 19, 2011

I was baking eggplant lasagna at 350 degrees for 20 minutes in my Anchor Cookware, when I heard a loud boom. I ran over to the oven, opened the door, and saw that the dish had exploded, leaving glass everywhere in the oven including all over the food. I had to throw the entire meal away, including all the food that had fallen in the oven due to the bottom of the dish blowing out. I had just checked the food and sat down when this happened. I could have been seriously injured if it had blown when the oven door was open. I ended up with glass in my foot and finger and was out approximately $10 to $15 of food.

Original review: May 5, 2011

I was roasting a nice whole chicken dinner that I splurged on for the first time in months. I always use my Anchor big rectangular glass baking pan. I had two glass pans in the oven, one had my chicken and the other had my roasted potatoes. I was making stuffing for my son when I heard a large bang and the house filled with smoke. I opened the oven to find out what happened and discovered that my large baking dish had exploded throwing glass into my chicken and potatoes . I had to toss out my whole dinner. I was very upset that I had to throw out about $10.00 worth of food that we really could not afford to waste. I was very upset that my baking dish that was less than a year old exploded. I demand my money back as these pans are not cheap! It took us two hours to clean up the mess this caused inside our gas oven.

Original review: April 14, 2011

My Anchor Hocking 1 quart measuring cup exploded in the dishwasher. I never used the hot dry cycle on my dishwasher and the cup was in room temperature when it went in to the dishwasher. There should have been no reason for this.

Original review: March 28, 2011

I was cooking dinner for family, had casserole in microwave. After the time was up, I removed my glass casserole bowl. About the time I sat it down, it blew up in front of me and other food. I had not thought anymore about the previous time. The same thing happened. My mom got glass in her foot this morning as it was like a bomb that went off. I was glad my kids were not in the room. This was a dangerous situation.

Original review: March 24, 2011

I was baking with an 8x8 Anchor Hocking dish and had the dish at room temp before putting it in the oven. I put my chicken into the dish and placed it into the preheated oven (375 degrees). Once the chicken was done cooking I placed the dish on a pot holder on the counter (which was not wet, to say the least). I went to go take the chicken out of the dish and it exploded. Glass went flying everywhere, nearly missing my eyes, and I have cuts on my feet because I instinctively backed up when the dish exploded.

Original review: March 7, 2011

I was at the computer in the kitchen about a week ago and suddenly heard the sound of breaking glass. I searched all over the house and couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from.

I went back to the kitchen and started opening cupboards only to find that my 2 qt. Anchor hocking batter bowl had exploded in the cupboard! The cupboard wasn't abnormally hot or cold and I haven't used the bowl in several days. It was just sitting there. The bowl says "freezer, refrigerator, microwave...safe" so it has never been used on the stove or in the oven before.

I have no idea why it spontaneously combusted but I am so very thankful that our kids (ages 1 and 3) didn't happen to be playing in/near that cupboard when the bowl shattered. What a disaster that could have been! As it was, it took a long time to clean up and a week later, I'm still finding glass shards in the cupboard. Thankfully the greatest damage is what could have been. The girls weren't in the kitchen at the time and the cupboard door was closed.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2011

I was using the large square glass dish to bake barbecue pork chops. The chops were done and I picked it up with my oven glove. I also felt something peculiar in the solidity of what I was holding immediately. Then, it suddenly exploded! Glass shards, boiling barbecue sauce and grease shot everywhere. I turned my head to the left and the hot grease and shards of glass went up from my neck bone, up to the center of my throat to under my chin--and a spot on top of my chin on my face. I hadn't even had time to set it down. It exploded while holding it with my left hand (gloved). Thank goodness I was wearing a long sleeve, long pants and socks--and that I threw my face to the left so quickly that only my neck up and under my chin to a spot on my chin got burned.

I have some minor scratches on my throat area from the smallest of shards which singed into my clothes and my area carpet of the kitchen. I have heard of these explosions of glassware if put from heat to cold. I had never thought that that glass would have exploded in my oven mitt. I had to throw out my area rug, and my clothes were singed with large pieces of glass. There were also some small shards in my hair as I showered immediately because my neck was instantly burning as the glass exploded. I didn't know whether my throat was cut or burnt.

Fear surged me immediately. I dare not move as I hollered for my 9-year old daughter. She came into the room. I had her stop immediately, but look towards my neck to tell me if I was bleeding or just burnt. The pain was intense momentarily. I have other pieces of the glassware set and no intention of using this cookware again! Thank goodness I was quick enough to close my eyes and throw my head away from the exploding glass. As a few minor burns, singed clothing, and small cuts to my hands is all I suffered. Someone really should follow up on these complaints as I am sure that I will not hear anything to my complaint.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2011

My glass baking dish exploded on me due to a mistake of placing it on my stove top that I forgot to turn off. I have shards of glass everywhere in my house and I am still finding them after 10 days. The dish exploded in my face, hands, and I now have a huge gash in my left foot on the ball joint. I have been out of work now for 10 days, my linoleum and carpet are burned and melted. I have a hefty E.R. bill to pay since I am uninsured and I do not have paid time off. I lost over a week's pay totaling more than $1,000.00. Plus, my wound is huge, deep and it hurts very bad. Also, all my Super Bowl food was ruined since the glass exploded in it. Now, I am half afraid to use glassware. I also have a picture of my sliced foot.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2011

I was making dinner last night with our 9x11" glass casserole dish made by Anchor. I pulled the dish out of the oven, set it on the stove-top to cool off for a few minutes before cutting the casserole to serve for dinner. About five minutes later, we heard the knife fall to the floor and a loud "Boom" sound. We look up to find that our casserole dish had exploded all over the stove, counters, and floor! There was glass everywhere. It took over an hour to clean up all of the tiny shards of glass and even the large pieces were still shattering when we moved them off the counters. We have small kids. We were so thankful that they were sitting at the table and not near the stove.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2011

I was washing my 10.5 x 14.75 x 2.25 inch Anchor ovenware baking dish today. It was at room temp and I had cleaned most of the food out of it the night before. I was using warm water but it was not too hot as it did not burn my hands. I went to set the dish on a towel on the counter and it exploded. There was not much change in temperature. I can't explain why. I don't think I will use my other Anchor brand dishes. I had cuts on my hands from the flying glass but it was not hot so I did not get burned.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2011

I was given, as a gift this past Christmas, an Anchor bake pan with a red cover. Today, as I was hand washing it, and lifted out of water to rinse with hot water, it literally shattered in my hand and sent shards and slivers of glass everywhere.

I had glass embedded in three places on my hand that was holding the pan. I bled for about half an hour and couldn't use my hand till an hour later.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2011

Earlier today, I went shopping at local Wal-Mart. I bought 2 Anchor glass measuring cups (1-cup, code number 7644055175). I bought this after buying the three piece set back in November of 2010. Since then, I used the 1 cup almost daily. At this time, the high temp red paint that is used to mark out the measurements has washed completely. So, I replaced it today. The clerk wrapped each cup with double plastic. At getting home and putting everything else away, I unwrapped the cups and put one in dishwasher. I had only room for one. I sat the other in our stainless steel sink. There was another glass and a plastic lid in the sink. Everything was fine. My husband was watching TV in living room. There was no wall between the kitchen/living room. The couch sets' back were facing the kitchen.

Anyway, I was tending the stove and dicing up an onion for hotdogs. Then all of a sudden, no warning, nothing, the explosion of glass just shattered in the sink, peppering the counter and floor. It shattered into thousands of pieces. The handle is the only solid piece left. My husband came running into the kitchen to see what was going on, to see if I was okay. There are big enough pieces that look just like spider cracks, just like a damaged windshield that cracks. I bagged up the pieces. I have not contacted anyone yet. I have googled Anchor glass. I found that they have pages of complaints. And I found about change of hands and bankruptcy.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2011

The cardboard between the layers of new glasses I bought says embalming fluid with Enthrone! I have called and left messages with the company with no response. I don't know if this is their policy, to reuse embalming fluid boxes. However, we, as consumers, would like to feel safe. This sure doesn't make me feel comfortable. Just the lack of trust in this company. Wondering what kind of chemicals they are exposing us to.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2011

Recently, I purchased a new two-cup Pyrex measuring cup. The first time I used it, I was heating two cups of water in the microwave. It exploded, blowing the microwave door open, and glass and water flew everywhere. Much of the water ran into the working parts of the microwave and ruined the motor of the turntable. My husband was sitting close by and saw the whole episode. We are so thankful that neither of us was injured.

Cleaning up the glass and water was a big job. My husband was able to remove the motor and ordered a new one. He successfully replaced it, but the cost was over $50. It is disgusting to think that a new $3.77 measuring cup could end up with such a mess and expense. We feel that Anchor Hocking should reimburse us for this accident involving their product.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2011

I tossed diced carrots in olive oil and put them in an Anchor Hocking 8x8 baking dish. I had the oven on bake and 500 deg. The oven may have gotten into the 300's when I put the dish in. Within minutes, it exploded.

Anchor Hocking Cookware Company Information