3.38/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Standard upholds a longstanding history of excellence. For over 140 years, we have been a leader in providing bathroom product solutions. Through our quality engineering and innovation, we help our customers preserve their safety, comfort, and independence. Our walk-in baths come equipped with a RevitaJet™ hydrotherapy system, Quick Drain® system, and 44 strategically placed air and water jets for the ultimate in therapeutic comfort. We also offer a lifetime warranty for the tub, installation, and labor. With a strong legacy to support us, we raise the standard for all walk-in tub needs. Contact us today.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Gallery (6)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 9, 2017

63 American Standard Walk-in Baths Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My husband wanted to get the American Standard for me because I’d fallen so many times. One time, I hit our bathroom toilet so hard. So, he called them and there was a call right back. The salesman, though, before he left, wanted to come in and see me. I was in bed and my husband was here. He kissed me right in front of my husband. We have guns here and I am just so surprised that my husband didn't wing him with one of them. But that salesman never came back. We have not seen him since that time.

They gave the installers the wrong unit. It was a left instead of a right. They got it in and my husband said, "My wife is going to have to crawl over our toilet to get into the tub." The guys held back and said, "Oh my, goodness. They gave us the wrong one." So, the guys did all that work, plus the plumbing was wrong, but they had to be on the other end. They had to stay overnight in a motel here, and one of them drove up and picked up the correct tub. They had to wait until it came from some other state, so that whoever was driving it down to meet the other guy that got up and got it. That was in Columbia, which is four or five hours from us. He went really out of his way to get the right unit.

The handles in the shower are wonderful. They're extremely safe. But the thing that they didn't tell us is there was no grip. The first time we went in the shower, I sat on the seat and I slid almost completely out, my husband caught me, and onto the bathroom floor. There is no traction in the showers. We have a spray which my husband bought and sprayed on any place that I would touch, sit or stand. We let that sit a day and then it was very safe. Overall, though, the shower is number one.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I was in the market to purchase a walk-in tub and American Standard had the better cost. The sales guy was good too but once he closed the deal, I couldn't get in touch with him about the actual installation. That was a nightmare. Whoever was installing it didn't know what they were doing. They didn't know to pull the proper permits and they came to the house four times because they didn't install it correctly. There was an issue between the installer and the factory, and it took them over a month for them to get it properly. I didn't care for the process but the product is good. Whenever my wife uses it, she enjoys it. I couldn't really recommend it to anybody though because of all the problems I had.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I was curious about American Standard Walk-In Tubs and their salesman came out and told us all about it. He was really good and so we decided to go with them. It's mainly for my wife. She has vascular arthritis and scoliosis of the spine so she can't get into a regular tub. But she was able to get in the walk-in tub and then I would lock her up like she's sitting on there. It gives her tremendous amount of relief. There's a couple of hours that she'll be in there.

When the installation team came, they had to saw the old tub out and it was a messy job. There were all kinds of stuff and none of them got to the rest of the house. They were very courteous and will not really wait to get things fixed straight. They were superb and they cleaned up after themselves. The walk-in tub got a heater built into it. Whatever temperature you set it, you feel it. The heater keeps the water under constant temperature so you can stay in there and you don't have to keep draining and putting in more warm water.

The only problem we had was, we only had a regular hot water tank. So we had to put another 250-gallon hot water tanks to fill it and keep it at the level it should be. The installation team explained that we may need more water but they wouldn't know until they come out to install the tub. And when they came, they said that will never do. So we went to a plumber and got our best bid and got a really good deal. We got a good team who set up to put the gallon tandems, hot water tanks and detect the hottest water from the tub. And when you fill it up, the warm water goes to the tub fast and it is able to maintain it. It worked out really well.

Overall, it was a really good experience. When we bought the walk-in tub, the team was there within two weeks. I thought it was going to be a really holy mess because it's all built in. Got the new one in and the installation team started hooking things up so fast that I couldn't keep track of how fast they were working. They were the best part of the whole deal and I was remarkably impressed by them. And everything the salesman said was true about the American Standard tub.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

We thought that the American Standard walk-in tub was overpriced, but it is convenient. The only issue we had was that it took them way too long to install it because the workers were coming all the way down from LA. They had to travel too far. But they were good workers. They did an excellent job.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I purchased a shower from American Standard. My in-home sales rep was good but their installation crew had a bit of a problem with getting up the stairs. They damaged the paintwork which they said they would fix but didn't. They took out my hand basin and the surrounding area in order to get the shower in and they put the basin back where it belonged but they broke the stopper. Now the stopper doesn’t work and nothing holds the water. They didn't know about it at the time and I only found out about the problem until several days later. They also installed the shower curtain incorrectly but they came and fixed that. However, there were no instructions left for me so I don't know how to increase or decrease the temperature in the shower or the extent of the spray.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

American Standard walk-in tub seems to have a lot of features and the sales rep thought the tub would work in here but it didn’t. The installation guy took about 6 days instead of three, like they said, and was two to three hours late everyday. Once, it was because he had half the hour the night before to place the stand. Still, he worked good when he was here.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

American Standard is a good outfit. My brother told me about them. I bought a tub and a lot of people say it’s a sorry sight but it’s good for me. Then the thing came loose underneath the pipes and they came out here and fixed it. This last guy that came knew how to do it. But the other guy that sold it to me and installed it didn’t know much about it. He’s from Riverside, California. This last guy lived out in Scottsdale. He came out here and put that pipe back together. He’s very knowledgeable.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

American Standard came out and showed us everything. My friend got one through another company and hers was $3,000 or $4,000 higher than mine. So when American Standard gave us that bid, we decided to go with them. They put in a new toilet, the walk-in tub and extended our door so we can get in there with wheelchairs and walkers, so it worked out great. My husband and I are not that old, but we were preparing for later days and we wanted to be able to get in our bathtub.

The team that put our tub in was outstanding. They were very friendly and outgoing. It took a full day to install and they didn't leave here until it was completely done. They also ran a cycle and made sure everything worked throughout the drain. The new tubs that they have had a hidden fee, but we couldn't ask for any better. The tub has helped a lot on my bad knees and my husband's bad knees, leg, and back. Then once you get out of the tub, the blow dryer comes on and dries the tub a few minutes later. That way, water won't set there. It dries some stuff and mold, etc. We love our tub. My oldest kids came and have taken a bath in it and they love it too. We enjoy it a lot.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

American Standard walk-in tub has a warranty that extends to anyone, like when my daughter is going to inherit my house then it will go ahead and extend to her. The sales rep seemed like he knew everything, which was good since we knew nothing. Everything was good with him and the installation team. The tub takes a while to fill up if one wants to use the soaking tub. But one gets a quick shower if they want the shower.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Two guys from American Standard came and they did a great job. They didn't miss and they cleaned up their mess. They didn't leave anything hanging out or leave any kind of junk lying around. They did what they were here to do and got it done in one day. They had to put up a new door for us. It cost us, but we had to open up that door in order to get the tub in. I was very proud of them. It's easier for my husband to get a bath now. He can sit down in the tub, but it also has a shower part that you can turn on. He likes showers and I like the tub. We've been well satisfied with it and haven't had any problems.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

My wife and I are disappointed with American Standard. In the advertising, they showed that this person is lying down really enjoying it. You just can't lie back in it and enjoy the water. You really have to just sit up on this thing and it's just not what it is. I wish I would have bought something better. I would have gotten a sit-down shower. Everybody that worked on it did a good job except that I just couldn't get the results that I expected. I thought that it'd be more of a relaxing type of thing and it isn't.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

We looked at two or three different models and American Standard had the largest one. Since my husband is a large man, we decided to go with the larger unit. There was a bit of a disaster with the installation though. They tightened down some of the connections to the water flow too tight. It broke a pipe and we had a lot of damage in the ceiling below and had to have a lot of repairs done. But they got it all taken care of. And then, twice I've had them back out because their caulking job around the tub was not good at all. First, it was sloppy and then it popped up. And the last time, the deck popped up. I just simply glued it down myself and didn't bother to call them. Whatever that company was that installed the tub was not very efficient, but it got done.

We don't like the tub very much though. We have a very large capacity heater and because we were getting a bigger tub, we wanted confirmation that we had enough water to heat it. It turned out that the large bath was a real mistake because we can't keep the water warm in it. So, that's a real problem for us. I don't think anybody saw that through very carefully. They definitely need to know whether or not the heating system can support the tub. I didn't have any concept of how much water it was really going to take to fill it. It was a mistake all the way around. In fact, we haven't used it in months. We tried to use it a few times and it just really didn't work for us. I would never recommend this tub to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

The rep came and sold me their product. The only question I had was about the toilet. I have a walnut toilet and he wasn't able to match that up which either had to be done or we won't do any toilets. But he got that answered. The installation team was on time. They did what they needed to do and had to come back the next day for an hour or so. With my walk-in tub, I don't worry about falling over the edge getting out. That's why I spent enough money to put a new room in the house. However, with the way it leans or the lack of angle, there's nothing to redirect the water back into the tub if you splash it onto the edges. So, every now and then, I end up with a wet floor even with the shower curtain in.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We responded to an ad by American Standard and their salesman came to the house. We went through the way the walk-in tub was manufactured. He represented that it was the top and it’s manufactured differently than other tubs. He was extremely knowledgeable. He also knew about the other units and had the documents and material that showed how the other units were made. He said that the American Standard tub was made with a different product that's guaranteed. It’s also warrantied for life, not only the product but any repair that would need to be made on it. And that was very significant.

They got the job done but the installation kept getting called off. It didn't take three days, but partial days for three days to get it done. The guys said the truck that had all the supplies had broken down and it was in store somewhere and they had to keep running back and forth to Home Depot. They also had to take out a piece of the wall to get the tub in. But they put that wall back better shaped than it was. They did a good job. My wife's a little stickler for stuff like that so she was checking them all the time. And they had to do some demolition with the old tub that was here to get a regular tub in. We had downsized into a patio home, so they had to carry stuff out through the stairs and through the front door. My wife was really cautioning them about messing up a wood floor. They put down paper runners and they really cleaned up after themselves when they were done.

But I would have to complain about the appearance of the workers. They were all overweight and showing butt cracks. It wasn't pleasant every time you look at them bend over to put the installs and you'd be looking at their tails. There are some clothing companies now that advertise long tails, and they cover butt cracks for plumbers. And as for the tub, the headrest was missing. We had to call American Standard to tell them it wasn't installed and they had to send that to us. We had to put it in ourselves. It was a $15,000 item, come on. It was exorbitantly priced and I wish my wife had done more shopping. The way they do it is, they won't give you a price and send you a sales rep to the house instead. Then, the salesman is pressured in to close. They didn't close me, but they closed my wife.

We've had it about six months and I've used it three times. And I'm not a fan of it. I have neuropathy from diabetes and they said that the four little air jets on the floor would massage my feet. There are two stages of turning it on, one with the water jets and the other for the air jets. The salesman made a really big deal about it. But I'm not happy about it. When I fill up the tub and use the jets, there's not enough pressure coming out of it. So, I don't get any benefit out of it.

But the big one that needs to be addressed would be the space between the tub and the wooden trim. The installers put on the trim around the top of the tub and then they caulked it. But when one gets in the tub and loads it with water, the weight pulls the tub down. So, there's a space there and water gets into that and to the wall. During the installation, they didn't have the parts. They went to Home Depot and they got a two by four. They cut that, and put that around against the wall around the top of the tub. I don't know if that's their normal sealing process. They could come and deal with it now but they wouldn't see the spacing. It's stuffed in the tub. So I got a tube of caulking myself, and when the space existed there, I put the caulking in the spacing. But when I got out of the tub and it goes back together, it pinches and pushes the caulking out. That spacing is a real irritant. And I think it's going to create other issues for me with the walls if they get wet enough. They need to do something about that.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

The workmen had pleasant personalities. They were polite and we had no trouble with them. However, my parents were a little disappointed that when you put your foot into the tub and if you hit the gasket, it comes out. Older people have a hard time stepping up and over things. And even stepping in there, the very first time they used it, they dislodged the gasket. American Standard had to come back and put the gasket in it. So, that was an issue with it that we think from a planning or design aspect, may be something they could improve.

Another thing is the gentleman who installed it jack-hammered away the tiles in the bathroom in a larger space than what the tub was going take up. So, there are spaces now where there are no tiles. My father has called on more than one occasion and American Standard said they were going to try to repair it, but they haven't followed up with it. So, there were a few things with it that didn't really go as smoothly as we would have hoped.

The tub seems to work, but from a design perspective, I don't think they had old people in mind when it's going to be in the bathroom. My parents have had difficulty trying to use the tub. It doesn't accommodate well any kind of handles. There's a door there but if you're right-handed and you're putting your hand on the door, the door has a hinge so the door is moving. That's not a stable hand-hold. On the other side, the panel sticks up with the buttons to push the light and the little jets and the air. It's a raised panel. Beside that, it's a small area that's also just a piece of plastic with square edges all the way around. There's no kind of hand-holds or handles of any kind. So, when you're trying to get in, there's nothing easy to grab onto from either side.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My mother gave me the idea of a tub that she can get in and out of, and American Standard was the first one we called about it. The sales representative was fine and he was knowledgeable about their product. However, the installation team wasn't as great as we figured they would be. They were on time and did their work, but I asked them to not extend to my walls and they didn't take care of it. So, we had to get a handyman to fix it since American Standard wasn't doing it yet. Nevertheless, it's been nicer with the walk-in tub. I have bilateral knee replacements so it is nicer to be able to get in and out. We're enjoying it though it was a little more expensive than I thought it was going to be.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The American Standard sales representative knew what he was talking about and he answered all of our questions. He told us he had only been doing it for about a year but he did well. We were also very pleased with what the installation team did and they lived up to the TV ad that we saw. They treated our home with courtesy and did a good job. My wife had hip and knee surgery and she's enjoying soaking in the tub. It helps loosen up her joints. She has limited ability to raise her feet and the door could have been lowered a little bit or extended, so it's not such a big step to get in. But other than that, we're very pleased with the product.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I had my shower in my bathtub when I ordered American Standard Walk-In Tubs. I said that I want a walk-in bathtub with a shower and they told me it's no problem. And so, after I got it installed, which was quite a bit of money, it sure didn't work. I didn't have any room to move and then, the water was on a shelf along the wall. I asked if they can put at least a little drain in there since I couldn't do it myself and I don't want to ruin a going deal. I told them a little pipe from the shower or maybe an inch longer it had to be would do. They said they're going to check that one. So far, I'm still waiting for an answer. Though they called one time and said that's the way they're made, that it's not made for a shower, that was the last I heard.

So the wall went uninstalled. It was necked up quite a bit, and I can understand that. But I was so disappointed that I couldn't get a good, decent shower. I tried showering a couple of times in there, but between the faucets and the hoses. The seat is so uncomfortable so I quit using it all together. If I had something to say to somebody, I'd tell them not to get American Standard because they won't answer and won't get back to me.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

American Standard's sales rep was very patient with my husband because it's hard for him to make up his mind. The installation also went well. The only thing that I was upset about was the installer came with a new toilet pipe but left my old one that was all rusty and looked terrible. I asked them while they were here if they changed the pipe with the new one, they said yes but they forgot to do it. But other than that, they were great. The bathtub has been really good and I was very happy. In fact, I get in it at least twice a week.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I've been familiar with American Standard as a trade name for quite some years. I've used some of their other plumbing products. We were doing an online search and made comparisons on user reports and evaluations of various other manufacturers' products. We decided that we were interested in the American Standard. About that time, we got an inquiry from an independent salesperson who was an associate marketer for American Standard. He came out, and we went over the product. We then did some further research. and bought and paid cash for it on the spot. I felt the salesperson was forward. He volunteered that he was not employed by American Standard and that he got a commission. I appreciated that. He also followed up and gave me the information that I needed. We were satisfied with him.

We received the tub early in December. Then we had a gentleman come and do some work. We had to do a lot of remodeling, busting out concrete flooring, and redoing plumbing. We finally got the tub all installed and it took several weeks. However, it's never been used because they were supposed to come back and put a panel on the back. Recently, I was notified that they don't have that panel anymore. They could do an extension on the back of the tub where I do have some free space. However, I'm determined that I don't want to forego that space.

I sent them a text that said to forget the panel and that I figured out a way that I'm going to do it to make it more workable. The panel's function was to protect both the electrical and the plumbing from any intrusion or something getting into the system and damaging the wiring. I can accomplish that since we totally remodeled that bathroom and enlarged it out to just over 200 square feet. We also put in the new walk-in shower and came out with new vanity. It's for my girl who is an amputee and does not have a left leg.

I really enjoyed working with working with the gentleman who came to do the service. He was quite helpful. Recently, when I talked to American Standard about the back that I've never received, they said they didn't think he's still with the company. It wasn't definitive and I'm not sure if the person to whom I was speaking with was in the position to really know.

Over time, I ended up making 10 or 12 calls back to their corporate office. The helpful gentleman whom I spoke with after that was located somewhere in the Houston, Texas area. That was their products and manufacturing division. The only downside to my contact with American Standard was that I was given a contact person, Genevieve, and I only got to speak with her once. After that, whenever I called it was either her day off or she wasn't available at the moment. So each time I spoke to a different telephone representative, it took me a while to answer their questions because they weren't familiar with the previous conversations. But overall, they were an acceptable business.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I was impressed by the easy entry, walk out, the drain time and the jets of American Standard Walk-in Baths. The sales rep that came to the house was very professional and explained it well except for the amount of hot water required. We had to put two 40 gallon water heaters in. One 40 gallon water heater will not take care of that tub. He said he warned that that might be a problem but he didn't investigate it very well.

When they installed the tub, it came to fruition that one 40 gallon tank would not handle it. It was fairly costly. It was $600 for the electricity bill and another $400 for the installation of a new water heater so about a little over a $1,000. But the installers were very good and it took two days to finish installing the tub. The tub itself works very well and it is top quality. Everything's A plus. We've had it for about three years. American Standard is a little bit pricey but I supposed that it took a little bit to put the tub together. The tub is safe and very comfortable and I highly recommend American Standard.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

The American Standard Walk-in Tubs salesman did a good job. He had it all prepared and that made him knowledgeable. When you’ve got the tools to sell, which he had, you can sell. Also, their installers were very neat. But one thing that is the matter with the tub is if a person of any size like 5 foot 10, the tub is too small. For smaller people, it’s okay but it's not made for people that have any size. The product is all right but I wouldn’t buy it again. I wouldn’t recommend the tub.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

American Standard is a well-known source for plumbing and fixtures. I went online and discovered the person who would install it since American Standard has some written policy that requires that an American Standard factory rep or dealership do the installation as opposed to just getting Joe the plumber which led me to a company down in the Richmond, Mechanicsville, Virginia area. I was in the process of building a house and they sent a representative up there. They did a recon and an assessment of the installation. We talked about the cost and timeframe then I agreed to let American Standard install the walk-in tub.

The builder of the house wasn't involved in this at all simply because he wasn't installing it. Therefore, he wasn't providing any kind of warranty for it. So, the warranty in those kinds of matters fell to the American Standard and the installer. There was one instance where they had to send a team back from the installer out here because the tub had developed a small leak, and they had to take care of that. I had the thing installed not because I personally like walk-in tubs or even tubs. I'm actually a shower guy but I realized that I'm 79. I just moved in last December and the future value of the house, after I'm passed on and my heirs have to dispose of it, would be of much greater if it had a walk-in tub since these tubs are getting very popular.

It's not only a tub that I can sit in, but it also has a shower mode. It has a long, handheld shower nozzle and it's very nice in spraying. However, the tub is four feet high and most people are around six-foot tall. That makes the shower head well above the rim of the tub. One has to be cautious that the shower head doesn't splash water and reflect water off of the walls onto the floor. Maybe a specially tailored shower door that would go from the top of the tub up to seven feet high would be a solution for that to improve it.

Nevertheless, I have used the tub a few times and it meets my expectations. It has got a few features that every tub doesn't have. It has got all of the Jacuzzi features that bubble the water, spray, pressurize and massage. It also got a recirculating heater so that the water doesn't sit there and get progressively cold. It has a pump that empties tub so that one doesn't have to sit there and wait for it to gravity drain. It gets empty so that the door can be opened to step out fairly quick and that's very convenient.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

The sales rep knew the product well and I liked the idea that the door opened out on the American Standard walk-in tub. I’m happy with it so far and now that winter is coming, I'm sure I’ll use it a lot more.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

The American Standard sales rep came in very high on the cost so I was going to cancel the order. He wanted $20,000 for the walk-in tub and there was no way that was in my budget but he finally dropped the price down in half. The people who installed the tub also seemed professional and seemed to know what they were doing. The only problem I have now is on the bottom long door, on the outside of the tub, there is a white bar that holds the door in place but the white strip is not holding the door and the door keeps popping open. They also gave me little beads to put in the cup on top and I'm supposed to be able to turn that on then it's supposed to shoot out colors but those are not the things that come through. It’s not an important thing to me but it is not working right. Nevertheless, I’m enjoying the tub. I’m not a shower person but I can sit in there comfortably and be relaxed. I love the tub and the jet and it also empties fairly fast.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My American Standard walk-in tub works okay and any problems we had were rectified right away. I wish it was a little bigger though, and I know it can be made bigger but I don’t want to put any more money into it now.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My ex-husband used to work for American Standard before there was ever any kind of a thing called walk-in tub, so I knew a little bit about them and that they were good. The sales rep was great. I liked him very much. He told me about all that I needed to do and what I could possibly need like a water tank. But I have tried that with what I had which ended up not being good enough and I had to get a waterless tank. The installers were good and they appeared to know what they were doing. They were also neat. I love my American Standard tub. I feel more relaxed whenever I use the tub. I enjoy sitting in there, have a little music and my little candle going on. I've already recommended American Standard to everybody I know.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

The installation people from American Standard were not well qualified. The back piece behind the tub fell through on the floor the next morning. I called the installer but he never showed up so I fixed it myself. He put caulking around the tub and the caulking wouldn't hold it. We thought we could put shampoo on the back of the tub but he didn't say that we couldn't put things there. It turned out that there was nothing that would hold it.

I got a gadget to pick all the pieces up the floor behind the tub. I then cut out some wood to fit it down to the floor and put a piece across the top so it keeps holding a stand on that if we want to. The installers could have done that. The other thing that we were disappointed in was they had to take the door frame out to get the tub in and then do it so they scratched the paint off of the wall. Other than the installation issues, we're very satisfied with the performance of the tub and the saleslady that represented the company was excellent.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

American Standard has very good quality product and they weren’t pushy. I liked the presentation and the sales rep at that time was great. Also, everything with the installation was perfect. The whole thing turned out well and I'm very happy with my walk-in bath.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Buying an American Standard walk-in tub is the worst mistake I've ever made. I bought it because I liked the way it looked and I thought it would work out but it didn't. It takes too much time and water to fill up. I've only used the shower and I've only used the whirlpool tub about four times since I've had it. It's way too expensive for what it does. I can see myself having to buy a new water tank if I use it on a regular basis. Also, during the installation, they damaged a door and had to replace another one and there were cracks in the area where the molding meets with the other molding. They even tried to blame the cracks on the wall.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Company Information