4.6/5 (434 ratings)

About American Standard Walk-in Baths

American Standard’s walk-in bathtub selection includes a variety of soaker and jetted tubs, including water and air jets. All models include quick-drain technology, and certain models come with chromotherapy. The company shows all pricing info and exact models online, though you’ll need to get an in-home consultation to understand the full price (including installation).

Pros

• Transparent pricing
    • Customizable soak and massage tubs
    • Quick-drain tech
    • Self-cleaning features available

Cons

• Installation cost varies
    • Limited warranty

Bottom Line

American Standard’s walk-in tubs come in a variety of customizable deep-soak and massage models. It provides installation with the purchase of a walk-in bath. Features include chromotherapy and self-cleaning.

Top American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My wife... has difficulty getting into a tub. ... American Standard's reputation goes beyond other programs. Customer service was very fine and the installation took two days, whi...

Verified

Everybody from American Standard that I had to deal with was quite nice. The representative... answered any questions till I didn't really have any. I knew that American Standard ...

American Standard walk-in tub models

American Standard is a household name for dozens of home fixtures, but its line of customizable walk-in tubs is among the most impressive of its home appliance collections. American Standard offers walk-in bathtubs in four varieties: air baths, bathtubs, whirlpools and combo massage tubs. Its extensive selection lets you choose a tub based on your comfort needs.

Model TypeCost Range*
    Deep Soaking Tubs$4,845 to $8,551
    Walk-in Whirlpool Tubs$5,111 to $8,411
    Walk-in Air Baths$5,216 to $8,436
    Combo Massage Tubs$6,420 to $10,556

*Cost ranges at the time of publishing may not include installation.

American Standard walk-in tub features

For comfort and safety, each American Standard walk-in tub includes built-in contoured seats, a safety bar and textured bath floors. Most come fully equipped with a fast-fill tub faucet, a hand-held showering wand and a color-matched drain and overflow. For units without fixtures, an American Standard walk-in tub faucet can be ordered separately.

In addition to standard safety features, most types of American Standard walk-in bathtubs include massage jets for relaxation:

• Air baths feature over 20 individual jets that deliver all-over, water-based massage therapy through tiny warm air bubbles.
    • Whirlpools include up to 13 water jets with an optional legs-only massage.
    • Combo tubs combine the benefits of air baths and whirlpools with up to 39 jets total.

To keep the massage jets clean, specific combo and whirlpool models also include ozone self-cleaning sanitation systems that help the unit run efficiently and cleanly.

In addition to massage jets, combo tub users can also benefit from multicolored chromotherapy. American Standard tubs equipped with chromotherapy use underwater LED lighting to add a color wash or flowing color sequence to your bath.

All units use American Standard’s patented technology to remove water from the tub in less than two minutes. This technology is usually called Quick Drain, although some larger models (60 inches by 30 inches) use Minute Drain technology.

American Standard walk-in tub cost

An American Standard walk-in tub typically costs from $4,000 to $11,000, with a 28-by-48-inch soaking tub costing significantly less than a 32-by-60-inch combo tub with chromotherapy and ozone self-cleaning systems. Tub size, type, material and any additional features affect the price.

To obtain an accurate quote, customers can schedule a no-cost, no-obligation, in-home safety evaluation. American Standard’s contractors determine prices based on:

• Bathroom layout
    • Doorway and hallway width
    • Electrical system
    • Existing plumbing configuration

American Standard provides a quote based on the evaluation, the type of walk-in tub you choose and the additional features you’d like.  American Standard also offers 18-month, no-interest financing for qualified applicants.

American Standard walk-in tub FAQ

What type of warranty does American Standard offer for walk-in tubs?
    All American Standard walk-in tubs come with a lifetime warranty on the door seal, installation and labor. Acrylic walk-in tubs come with a 15-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a 10-year warranty on all other components. Gelcoat walk-in tubs come with a 10-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a five-year warranty on the components.
    What’s the process for installing an American Standard walk-in tub?
    Factory-trained, certified specialists install your tub, typically within one or two days. The installation team also removes and discards your old tub. Once installed, the American Standard contractor tests your tub and explains operations. The in-home evaluation determines the installation cost.
    What’s the difference between acrylic and fiberglass tubs from American Standard?
    Choosing between a fiberglass and an acrylic American standard walk-in tub depends on your budget, your ability to clean and maintain your tub and the location of the bathroom in your home.

Fiberglass walk-in tubs from American Standard are less expensive, made of lightweight material and ideal for two-story homes. However, fiberglass tubs can be more susceptible to chipping, cracking and failing. They can also stain and absorb water, which can lead to mold buildup if not properly maintained.

Acrylic walk-in tubs from American Standard are less susceptible to physical damage and mold, but they’re more expensive. The heavier material makes acrylic tubs better suited for bathrooms on the first floor.

Both tubs have the same 10- to 15-year lifespan.

How do I clean my American Standard walk-in tub?
    American Standard recommends daily upkeep, weekly or monthly cleaning and occasional deep cleaning for walk-in tubs. After each use, rinse off the tub and fixtures with warm water to remove body oils and soap residue. For weekly or monthly cleaning, fill the tub with hot water to seat height, add low-foaming detergent and run the jets for about ten minutes. Drain the tub and fill it with clean water. Run the jets for 15 more minutes to rinse, then drain. For deep cleaning, use detergent and go through longer cycles with the jets to remove residue. Do not use harsh scrubbers on the tub.
    What should I expect from an American Standard in-home evaluation?
    American Standard offers a free in-home consultation for customers interested in installing a walk-in tub. A certified safety specialist will come to your home, take measurements of your bathroom and determine if the site is suitable for a walk-in tub. You will also receive an accurate price quote that includes the cost of professional installation.

Do we recommend American Standard walk-in tubs?

American Standard’s walk-in tubs provide a customized experience for users of any age. While prices start in the $4,000 range and climb to $11,000 or more, there are no hidden costs, and no-interest financing is available. Quotes include installation and labor, and the company backs its products with a lifetime warranty.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

Original review: March 1, 2022

When I signed the papers, I had nightmares about the tub because I never spent this much money in my entire life on anything, except for the car and the house. It’s only a tub. But I wouldn't take anything for that tub. I enjoy sitting in that tub. I have a grand baby and he loves to get in that tub with me. He’s about three and he loves to get his dinosaurs in there and sit in the bottom. I let the water get up enough to where it's over the air jets and turn the air jets on. He knows how to work the lights and see all the different color lights. So I have enjoyed it. I have told everybody I come in contact with it knows me about my tub.

The tub has these different color lights. When you push the lights on, they change colors. They go from red to green to blue to purple. Sometimes, they change by themselves, or you can set them for whatever color you want to. You can't put chemicals inside these tubs. But when I got the tub, it came with these scented beads. It's got a place on the outside of the tub that air comes through and it's got a cap on it. You put one bag of those down in there and screw the cap on. At night, when you're soaking in the tub, you can have the lights out, and put your music on the counter in there. Then lean back in that tub and have those different color lights on, and that aroma comes up out of there. You can be in a different world. Those beads last 30 days. They don't get wet. It's just the smell from the air that puts them out there.

The tub has 46 jets and I wouldn't take anything for it. They're hitting you on your back, your legs, your arms, and even in your hands. It helps your feet. It helps the circulation in your legs. It's amazing. You can turn them off and on. You don't have to use them all. There's a button for the jets for your back and then you can turn them off. I also have a button for the jets for the air down on the bottom that does your legs and your waist down. The tub also has a power drain to it that you use to drain the water out quickly.

When American Standard did the installation, they had to make the bathroom door wider because the tub was wider than the other one. They also replaced the toilet because the toilet came with the tub. It's a higher toilet. They made it where it is wheelchair-accessible. Like if I ever had to have a wheelchair in there, all I have to do is slide off the wheelchair and slide right into the tub. That was amazing all of its own. My daughter had a hysterectomy and she hadn't been able to take a bath in her tub because it's too far down. But with my tub, she was able to take the bath and that was awesome. It couldn't have come at a better time.

On the day when American Standard put the bidet in, the bidet wasn't level. It was level on one side but not on the other. So you couldn't tighten it down. When I called American Standard, they told me that because it was not the tub, the contractor would probably be busy. The rep didn't know what their schedule was. But if I got my own plumber to fix the toilet and send them the bill, then they would reimburse me. So I got my own plumber and he came out. I sent them the bill and they were very prompt and sent me my money back that I paid on it. That was awesome in itself in this day and time.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Rose! Welcome to the American Standard family.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

Initially, when American Standard sent me the tub, it was the wrong size. They got the bigger tub, but the problem was we couldn't get the tub in the bathroom. I had to have contractors come in and tear out the doorway in the bathroom and rebuild the doorway. Then when the tub was installed, there was a problem. The hot water would not come through. When you turn the water on, it was lukewarm to the point where you could not get in it. Considering it was installed during the time when the weather was cooler, it was easier to tell.

I called American Standard and a young lady answered the phone. I explained that I just had the tub installed and it has never been used but the hot water wasn't coming through. She told me I needed to call a plumber and there was something wrong with my hot water heater. But the hot water works everywhere in the house. There's never been a problem. There's a double sink in that bathroom, and water comes through.

She put the work order in, but that was unprofessional of her to tell me what I needed to do for an item that was just purchased and never used. Her job was to take my complaint and forward it to the people who are in charge. She didn't know what the problem was. How could she sit there and diagnose the problem? I also didn't like her tone. I just spent $20,000 on an item that I hadn't even been able to use. I was not gonna call them about a problem if a problem didn't exist and I was definitely not gonna call someone else to service the problem. When I bought this item, I was told it has a lifetime warranty for repairs.

Once she put the report in, a young man came out and he checked it. He told me there was a very good possibility that it was the mixing valve. He came back another day, replaced the mixing valve, and voilà, it worked. Except for the young lady, everybody else who I dealt with for the entire process was A+. I do love the tub. There was one thing that I missed in the manual though. The first time that happened, I thought the tub was malfunctioning. I eventually unplugged it then plugged it back up later. I was gonna call the next morning but thought of going through the manual again. I found that the item is down in the print. It should upfront saying the the tub will automatically put in the jets for about 20 minutes after you turn it on.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Hello Margaret. Thank you for sharing your review. If we can do anything to help, please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

We have used American Standard toilets and things like that for the last 50 years. So, when we went for the tub, I didn't want to go for a name of a company that I didn't know. The sales rep was fairly new, but she immediately was able to get ahold of her supervisor and answer questions that we had that she wasn't sure of. She had an answer, but she wasn't sure of it, so she hardened the answer. And it was about construction and removing doorways. It was difficult for them to get that tub into the small bathroom that we have it in and they had to completely take out a wall, rebuild it and redo the doorway. And she was not sure on a couple of issues about that, but got the correct answers for us. The crew that came out did exceptional work and they did it as fast the time as they possibly could, which was only two days. Everything was back to exactly the way it needed to be when they were done and everything worked properly. So, I was happy.

I love the tub. I just wish the seat was lower into the tub. You sit up high, so it's hard to get water above chest level. The upper abdomen is about as high as you can get that water to go while you're seated. You can slide down in, but it's very uncomfortable on your legs to get that low and you're propping yourself up with your legs to do it. So, if the seated part was another just three or four inches lower, then you would be able to comfortably get underwater. I'm only five-foot-seven. If somebody six-foot bought that, even that wouldn't help. But that's the only thing for me. Everything else is perfect. I love it. I'm in it sometimes twice a day.

It does my lower back and my legs perfectly for me, even though I sit up a little higher. It still gets above my lower back and the jets do, and it works perfect for me. But people need to know what they want that tub to do for them before they jump into it. That way, if they're expecting something that they're not going to get, then that's going to create a headache because it's a permanent install. If they know what they want and will know what they expect this tub to do, I would recommend this tub.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We truly appreciate your kind words, and we thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, Robert! Welcome to the American Standard Family!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I grilled the salesman because I already had the presentation by their major competitor. There were a lot of aspects that I was concerned about and the biggest one was losing my shower. American Standard has a feature that their competition doesn't. Their walk-in tub comes with a bar to mount the spray as a shower. If I had gone with the other brand, I would have lost the shower for the sake of putting in my tub. I also asked the rep a lot of technical questions about installation and he was very good about all of that. He was negotiable too which was good.

The installation team was very polite and well-mannered. They did a professional job. But, I was disappointed with the one who worked in the basement. It wasn't until a few days later that I went down to my workshop in the basement and found that he had moved things to run the wire from the power box to bring it up to the floor by the tub but he didn't put them back in the workshop. That was very lazy. He had also knocked stuff off the shelf and didn't even pick them up.

Also, I had a chair there with a box of paper on it to keep it up off the floor. I noticed that the box had been taken off the chair and put on the floor. I could only assume that it was so he could sit there and take a break where it was cool in the basement. He didn't even bother putting the box back. But again, it's just one of the workmen. Out of sight, out of mind. Nobody saw what he was doing. The ones working upstairs were fine. But I had to have the workmen back about a week later because one of the parts of the tub wasn't secured tightly and I was afraid it was going to fall off. The tub has a lifetime warranty so I called and there was no charge. The team came and fixed it.

Unfortunately, American Standard is following the lead of their main competitor who had the market for a while. And they only sell a top-of-the-line Cadillac very expensive tub, because it's a spa and it has all the bells and whistles. It has lighting that changes colors. What I got had an awful lot of stuff but I had no choice. The other option was buying a tub from Home Depot and getting a contractor which is extremely difficult during COVID. I was forced into the decisions that I made but my spouse is happy with the tub.

The one area I was really unhappy with was that I paid by credit card and when the job was done, I expected that they were going to take my credit card and swipe it into a mobile device. But they had me write down my entire credit card number, PIN number and the date of expiration on a form. Then they manually entered it into their tablet and then they kept the damn form. There's no reason on God's green earth why American Standard shouldn't have modern technology when it comes to taking a credit card. Not only that, they had to use my WiFi to connect and I had to give them my password for them to use my WiFi. I assume they're on the up and up but this doesn't bode well for a company that's supposed to be top-notch.

Now, there's a guy that I don't know from Adam, and he's walking around with a piece of paper that has my credit card number and my PIN. I was extremely annoyed with their method of taking credit card payments. American Standard as the prime contractor has the overall responsibility that their employees represent them in a business-like manner.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, John! Welcome to the American Standard Family!

Original review: June 13, 2021

We got an American Standard walk-in bath as a way of preventively avoiding falls associated with climbing over and into a regular tub. And I've always wanted a spa, a whirlpool, and this provided both. So it was a nice combination and it worked into having it indoors. Initially, we were planning to do just some resource exploration of pros and cons but we were so impressed with our salesperson that we decided to go ahead and do it. Everything went well and on schedule. The people were polite, very neat, and didn't leave a mess behind.

The only thing that we have not been satisfied with is we were planning to put a bidet that came with it. At first, we had not planned to get a bidet but that came as part of the promotion. And we were going to put that in the little bathroom, not the main bathroom. But somehow, we got persuaded that we really ought to have it in the main bathroom and it was not a good decision. So, we want to have it moved and put the bidet in the little bathroom like we had planned in the beginning. My husband has made several contacts, trying to find out how we cut off the water so that we can do it, and we've not been able to get an answer on that. I have finally hired a plumber to come tomorrow to look at it then we'll have to pay him to do it. Bu we would have liked to have had enough information that my husband, who's pretty handy with things, could have perhaps done that himself.

Other than that, we've learned that the walk-in tub is something that empties quickly and that was a plus for us because I heard that sometimes people have sat in there and wait for it to drain. I also like the fact that it's got a lot of jets. Since we're summer chickens instead of spring chickens, we're going to get some good action from that. There were some nice bells and whistles on that that we would not have sought out but it's really a nice shower. It's got pretty lights, too.

I told my husband that this is the easiest shower I've ever had because you can sit down and use the handheld shower thing. It really meets all of our needs and it will allow us to stay in our home longer. I'm still learning all the bells and whistles of it and but it doesn't seem to be overly complicated. I don't understand the bidet very well as far as the instructions for the remote and there are buttons for that which don't make a lot of sense to me. But I'm hoping that when I have time to sit down and look at the manual, I can figure them out.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We simply love your review, Patricia! Thanks for your kind words!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 18, 2022

This should be MINUS a million star review. This company has done NOTHING they promised and just keep postponing and postponing. I will hopefully get some response when they see this review. This install was for my 92 year old parents which they needed for medical reasons. Company just doesn't care.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We are very sorry to hear about your experience, Lisa. One of our representatives will follow up with you on this.

Original review: May 8, 2022

They were efficient, very polite and professional. The installation went very well. They were right in, right out. Cleaned up very well, too. I love the tub. It’s great. The number of nozzles and the positioning of the nozzle were very good. Both air and jets. I enjoy it and it's very therapeutic.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your great review, Howard! Welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: May 8, 2022

The guys who did the work were knowledgeable and they did a good job. The only complaint I have is this complaint that I didn't know about. I had to turn my hot water heater all the way to the top in order to get the tubs out, a 50-gallon water heater. The person that was selling the tub told me that I might need one, so it's not like I didn't know. But other than that, everything went fine. The product seems good, so I'm happy.

The positive thing about the 20-year-old hot tub we had is that I didn't have to fill it up every time so I'm not using a whole bunch of water. But if I use a walk-in tub, each time I use it, I'm using 55 gallons. But when you get older, you're not gonna be able to crawl into that hot tub and it will help for muscle aches and pains, so it's a good trade-off.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Hello Paul, thank you for sharing your 5-star review. We're very happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Original review: May 7, 2022

The sales rep was very pushy, and I did not like that. I don't like being pressured. This is a big investment for my husband and I would have preferred to have waited one day so that we would have had a chance to discuss it. But the installers were very good. They came two days. They were late both times on what they had said they would be here but they were very nice and respectful. I'm enjoying my American Standard tub very much. I like the jets also. There's a little difference in my feet and legs and the circulation. They're not swelling like they were.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, Patricia. If we can do anything to help, please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183, and we will gladly assist you.

Original review: May 7, 2022

I love the shower. It's beautiful. But the doors don't touch the wall on each side and I don't think they're hung right. The techs tried to adjust them and one of the doors started squeaking really badly when I pull it shut or push it open. They couldn't figure that out so the rep was gonna check if somebody could come. They need to fix that.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Hello Annette, thank you for sharing your review. One of our representatives will follow up with you on this.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Company Information