4.5/5 (398 ratings)

About American Standard Walk-in Baths

American Standard’s walk-in bathtub selection includes a variety of soaker and jetted tubs, including water and air jets. All models include quick-drain technology, and certain models come with chromotherapy. The company shows all pricing info and exact models online, though you’ll need to get an in-home consultation to understand the full price (including installation).

Pros

• Transparent pricing
    • Customizable soak and massage tubs
    • Quick-drain tech
    • Self-cleaning features available

Cons

• Installation cost varies
    • Limited warranty

Bottom Line

American Standard’s walk-in tubs come in a variety of customizable deep-soak and massage models. It provides installation with the purchase of a walk-in bath. Features include chromotherapy and self-cleaning.

Top American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My wife... has difficulty getting into a tub. ... American Standard's reputation goes beyond other programs. Customer service was very fine and the installation took two days, whi...

Verified

Everybody from American Standard that I had to deal with was quite nice. The representative... answered any questions till I didn't really have any. I knew that American Standard ...

American Standard walk-in tub models

American Standard is a household name for dozens of home fixtures, but its line of customizable walk-in tubs is among the most impressive of its home appliance collections. American Standard offers walk-in bathtubs in four varieties: air baths, bathtubs, whirlpools and combo massage tubs. Its extensive selection lets you choose a tub based on your comfort needs.

Model TypeCost Range*
    Deep Soaking Tubs$4,845 to $8,551
    Walk-in Whirlpool Tubs$5,111 to $8,411
    Walk-in Air Baths$5,216 to $8,436
    Combo Massage Tubs$6,420 to $10,556

*Cost ranges at the time of publishing may not include installation.

American Standard walk-in tub features

For comfort and safety, each American Standard walk-in tub includes built-in contoured seats, a safety bar and textured bath floors. Most come fully equipped with a fast-fill tub faucet, a hand-held showering wand and a color-matched drain and overflow. For units without fixtures, an American Standard walk-in tub faucet can be ordered separately.

In addition to standard safety features, most types of American Standard walk-in bathtubs include massage jets for relaxation:

• Air baths feature over 20 individual jets that deliver all-over, water-based massage therapy through tiny warm air bubbles.
    • Whirlpools include up to 13 water jets with an optional legs-only massage.
    • Combo tubs combine the benefits of air baths and whirlpools with up to 39 jets total.

To keep the massage jets clean, specific combo and whirlpool models also include ozone self-cleaning sanitation systems that help the unit run efficiently and cleanly.

In addition to massage jets, combo tub users can also benefit from multicolored chromotherapy. American Standard tubs equipped with chromotherapy use underwater LED lighting to add a color wash or flowing color sequence to your bath.

All units use American Standard’s patented technology to remove water from the tub in less than two minutes. This technology is usually called Quick Drain, although some larger models (60 inches by 30 inches) use Minute Drain technology.

American Standard walk-in tub cost

An American Standard walk-in tub typically costs from $4,000 to $11,000, with a 28-by-48-inch soaking tub costing significantly less than a 32-by-60-inch combo tub with chromotherapy and ozone self-cleaning systems. Tub size, type, material and any additional features affect the price.

To obtain an accurate quote, customers can schedule a no-cost, no-obligation, in-home safety evaluation. American Standard’s contractors determine prices based on:

• Bathroom layout
    • Doorway and hallway width
    • Electrical system
    • Existing plumbing configuration

American Standard provides a quote based on the evaluation, the type of walk-in tub you choose and the additional features you’d like.  American Standard also offers 18-month, no-interest financing for qualified applicants.

American Standard walk-in tub FAQ

What type of warranty does American Standard offer for walk-in tubs?

All American Standard walk-in tubs come with a lifetime warranty on the door seal, installation and labor. Acrylic walk-in tubs come with a 15-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a 10-year warranty on all other components. Gelcoat walk-in tubs come with a 10-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a five-year warranty on the components.

What’s the process for installing an American Standard walk-in tub?

Factory-trained, certified specialists install your tub, typically within one or two days. The installation team also removes and discards your old tub. Once installed, the American Standard contractor tests your tub and explains operations. The in-home evaluation determines the installation cost.

What’s the difference between acrylic and fiberglass tubs from American Standard?

Choosing between a fiberglass and an acrylic American standard walk-in tub depends on your budget, your ability to clean and maintain your tub and the location of the bathroom in your home.

Fiberglass walk-in tubs from American Standard are less expensive, made of lightweight material and ideal for two-story homes. However, fiberglass tubs can be more susceptible to chipping, cracking and failing. They can also stain and absorb water, which can lead to mold buildup if not properly maintained.

Acrylic walk-in tubs from American Standard are less susceptible to physical damage and mold, but they’re more expensive. The heavier material makes acrylic tubs better suited for bathrooms on the first floor.

Both tubs have the same 10- to 15-year lifespan.

How do I clean my American Standard walk-in tub?

American Standard recommends daily upkeep, weekly or monthly cleaning and occasional deep cleaning for walk-in tubs. After each use, rinse off the tub and fixtures with warm water to remove body oils and soap residue. For weekly or monthly cleaning, fill the tub with hot water to seat height, add low-foaming detergent and run the jets for about ten minutes. Drain the tub and fill it with clean water. Run the jets for 15 more minutes to rinse, then drain. For deep cleaning, use detergent and go through longer cycles with the jets to remove residue. Do not use harsh scrubbers on the tub.

What should I expect from an American Standard in-home evaluation?

American Standard offers a free in-home consultation for customers interested in installing a walk-in tub. A certified safety specialist will come to your home, take measurements of your bathroom and determine if the site is suitable for a walk-in tub. You will also receive an accurate price quote that includes the cost of professional installation.

Do we recommend American Standard walk-in tubs?

American Standard’s walk-in tubs provide a customized experience for users of any age. While prices start in the $4,000 range and climb to $11,000 or more, there are no hidden costs, and no-interest financing is available. Quotes include installation and labor, and the company backs its products with a lifetime warranty.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

Five years ago, my husband had a salesman from American Standard come to our farm and he gave us a pitch. We learned about the product at that point but we didn't go ahead with the purchase. Our health was still good and we were in our 60s. Our health is less robust because now that we're in our 70s. We looked at some other products through Lowe's and the American Standard product still looked like the best option. We went ahead and made that purchase.

The first sales representative five years ago was not good. He didn't do any measurements. We live in an old farmhouse so the doors are narrower and the bathroom was very small. He didn't look at the electrical panel either. He told me that he would order the tub and the rest of it was the installers’ problem. Having spent 25 years of my career in commercial real estate, that didn't really work for me. I was not comfortable with that expense of a purchase without having more attention to detail.

The lady who came out this time around was awesome. She did the measurements, checked the panels, and took a picture of the panel. She did the pre-work for the installer so that they knew what they were looking at. The gentleman who was sending out the installers called me personally to ask me about the ingress and egress of the driveway since he was out in the country and he was bringing a big truck. We're on a country road and I sent him photos of how to get in and out. It was pretty easy and the attention to detail this time was stellar.

The installers did a very nice job. I watched because I like construction and it was interesting. The only thing I had a question about later was the GFI breaker to the toilet, which is backed up by the GFI that's on the other wall. That's all interconnected with the tub. I understood that electrical schematic. Everything's operating the way it's supposed to. It's a blessing to have it right now because my husband just got out of the hospital. They told him in the hospital that he could use his tub to shower since he had to sit down and he wouldn't fall. He has a handheld sprayer and just not use the bathtub feature. It’s all great.

My husband weighs about 240 pounds so he displaces more water than I do. I weigh about 178 pounds. It takes longer and more hot water to fill the tub up for me. Other than that, I'm good and I like the tub. Initially, the hot water heater was set at 120 and I was running out of hot water when I was just getting the water to the seat. But I turned the hot water heater up to 125. I can still have hot water and get it up to where I can run the bubbles.

Everybody has bathed in a certain fashion for us for 70 years. When the American Standard product comes along, it's a different style of bathing. You’ve just got a lot more options and your space is different. You have to learn how to work within the space provided and use the different options. Once you figure out how it works best for you because everybody does it differently. My husband's just as pleased as he can be. That is great because he has vertigo. Standing in our old bathtub shower was dangerous. Having American Standard was certainly a lot cheaper than going to the hospital with a serious head injury. He goes in, sits down, and he's happy taking his shower or his bath. Most of the time, we just shower.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Hello Linda. We're happy to have been able to help. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and welcome to the American Standard family!

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I thought an American Standard walk-in tub would be an excellent idea because it would be a big problem when we get a little older and we already have trouble getting into tubs. Our friend let us come over and look at their tub. I wanted to sit in it and see what it would feel like to be in it. Our friend let us do that. I called American Standard and I got an appointment. Sean was the rep that came and he was very helpful. He told us a whole lot about the product and all the ins and outs. There was another company that I had an appointment with but I never even talked to them. We were so convinced by Sean that American Standard was what we wanted since I had already seen one and checked it out. There were also a lot of things about the product that we liked.

Young people came for the installation and they were very efficient. They knew what they were doing. There was a problem with hooking up the electricity because the fuse box was at one end of the house and the tub was at the other end of the house. They figured out how they could go in through the attic. They bore through a couple of walls to get to the electrician box in the kitchen. They then repaired that beautifully. They said they would be through in a day. But the work took two days. I'm glad they took their time because this was a complicated thing that they were putting in. They bothered us as little as possible. They were very congenial and I welcome them into my home anytime because they were such good people. Their work was perfect.

One of the features that I really like was the fact that when you get out of the tub, it had something that will go automatically and it will dry out all the inputs. I heard people say that they had a Jacuzzi or a tub in the house but they didn't use it much because it built up mildew in the water vents. Our walk-in tub also had a pump that would pump the water out. We like that too. We've had friends that had a walk-in tub and they had to sit there and wait for the water to go out.

We decided to go with this walk-in tub even though it was expensive because it would keep us from going to the nursing home. We decided the nursing home would be a lot more expensive than a walk-in tub. We wanted to stay home. Our friends are still staying home with their walk-in tub and they're still satisfied with it. This walk-in tub has certainly made things much simpler and I don't have to worry about my husband when he says he's going to take a bath. I enjoy it too. I have arthritis and sometimes I can lie in there for a while with the pulsating water. It really helps my arthritis.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your 5-star review, Claire. Welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: March 1, 2022

When I signed the papers, I had nightmares about the tub because I never spent this much money in my entire life on anything, except for the car and the house. It’s only a tub. But I wouldn't take anything for that tub. I enjoy sitting in that tub. I have a grand baby and he loves to get in that tub with me. He’s about three and he loves to get his dinosaurs in there and sit in the bottom. I let the water get up enough to where it's over the air jets and turn the air jets on. He knows how to work the lights and see all the different color lights. So I have enjoyed it. I have told everybody I come in contact with it knows me about my tub.

The tub has these different color lights. When you push the lights on, they change colors. They go from red to green to blue to purple. Sometimes, they change by themselves, or you can set them for whatever color you want to. You can't put chemicals inside these tubs. But when I got the tub, it came with these scented beads. It's got a place on the outside of the tub that air comes through and it's got a cap on it. You put one bag of those down in there and screw the cap on. At night, when you're soaking in the tub, you can have the lights out, and put your music on the counter in there. Then lean back in that tub and have those different color lights on, and that aroma comes up out of there. You can be in a different world. Those beads last 30 days. They don't get wet. It's just the smell from the air that puts them out there.

The tub has 46 jets and I wouldn't take anything for it. They're hitting you on your back, your legs, your arms, and even in your hands. It helps your feet. It helps the circulation in your legs. It's amazing. You can turn them off and on. You don't have to use them all. There's a button for the jets for your back and then you can turn them off. I also have a button for the jets for the air down on the bottom that does your legs and your waist down. The tub also has a power drain to it that you use to drain the water out quickly.

When American Standard did the installation, they had to make the bathroom door wider because the tub was wider than the other one. They also replaced the toilet because the toilet came with the tub. It's a higher toilet. They made it where it is wheelchair-accessible. Like if I ever had to have a wheelchair in there, all I have to do is slide off the wheelchair and slide right into the tub. That was amazing all of its own. My daughter had a hysterectomy and she hadn't been able to take a bath in her tub because it's too far down. But with my tub, she was able to take the bath and that was awesome. It couldn't have come at a better time.

On the day when American Standard put the bidet in, the bidet wasn't level. It was level on one side but not on the other. So you couldn't tighten it down. When I called American Standard, they told me that because it was not the tub, the contractor would probably be busy. The rep didn't know what their schedule was. But if I got my own plumber to fix the toilet and send them the bill, then they would reimburse me. So I got my own plumber and he came out. I sent them the bill and they were very prompt and sent me my money back that I paid on it. That was awesome in itself in this day and time.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Rose! Welcome to the American Standard family.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

Initially, when American Standard sent me the tub, it was the wrong size. They got the bigger tub, but the problem was we couldn't get the tub in the bathroom. I had to have contractors come in and tear out the doorway in the bathroom and rebuild the doorway. Then when the tub was installed, there was a problem. The hot water would not come through. When you turn the water on, it was lukewarm to the point where you could not get in it. Considering it was installed during the time when the weather was cooler, it was easier to tell.

I called American Standard and a young lady answered the phone. I explained that I just had the tub installed and it has never been used but the hot water wasn't coming through. She told me I needed to call a plumber and there was something wrong with my hot water heater. But the hot water works everywhere in the house. There's never been a problem. There's a double sink in that bathroom, and water comes through.

She put the work order in, but that was unprofessional of her to tell me what I needed to do for an item that was just purchased and never used. Her job was to take my complaint and forward it to the people who are in charge. She didn't know what the problem was. How could she sit there and diagnose the problem? I also didn't like her tone. I just spent $20,000 on an item that I hadn't even been able to use. I was not gonna call them about a problem if a problem didn't exist and I was definitely not gonna call someone else to service the problem. When I bought this item, I was told it has a lifetime warranty for repairs.

Once she put the report in, a young man came out and he checked it. He told me there was a very good possibility that it was the mixing valve. He came back another day, replaced the mixing valve, and voilà, it worked. Except for the young lady, everybody else who I dealt with for the entire process was A+. I do love the tub. There was one thing that I missed in the manual though. The first time that happened, I thought the tub was malfunctioning. I eventually unplugged it then plugged it back up later. I was gonna call the next morning but thought of going through the manual again. I found that the item is down in the print. It should upfront saying the the tub will automatically put in the jets for about 20 minutes after you turn it on.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Hello Margaret. Thank you for sharing your review. If we can do anything to help, please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

We have used American Standard toilets and things like that for the last 50 years. So, when we went for the tub, I didn't want to go for a name of a company that I didn't know. The sales rep was fairly new, but she immediately was able to get ahold of her supervisor and answer questions that we had that she wasn't sure of. She had an answer, but she wasn't sure of it, so she hardened the answer. And it was about construction and removing doorways. It was difficult for them to get that tub into the small bathroom that we have it in and they had to completely take out a wall, rebuild it and redo the doorway. And she was not sure on a couple of issues about that, but got the correct answers for us. The crew that came out did exceptional work and they did it as fast the time as they possibly could, which was only two days. Everything was back to exactly the way it needed to be when they were done and everything worked properly. So, I was happy.

I love the tub. I just wish the seat was lower into the tub. You sit up high, so it's hard to get water above chest level. The upper abdomen is about as high as you can get that water to go while you're seated. You can slide down in, but it's very uncomfortable on your legs to get that low and you're propping yourself up with your legs to do it. So, if the seated part was another just three or four inches lower, then you would be able to comfortably get underwater. I'm only five-foot-seven. If somebody six-foot bought that, even that wouldn't help. But that's the only thing for me. Everything else is perfect. I love it. I'm in it sometimes twice a day.

It does my lower back and my legs perfectly for me, even though I sit up a little higher. It still gets above my lower back and the jets do, and it works perfect for me. But people need to know what they want that tub to do for them before they jump into it. That way, if they're expecting something that they're not going to get, then that's going to create a headache because it's a permanent install. If they know what they want and will know what they expect this tub to do, I would recommend this tub.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We truly appreciate your kind words, and we thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, Robert! Welcome to the American Standard Family!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

The sales rep was awesome and the installation was so quick. The installers were on time and they did everything like you expect the job to be done. They cleaned up too. Everybody's over the moon with the quality of work done. I have people I ain't heard of just showing up at my house and taking a peek at it. My mom has been very pleased as well. She can do everything herself because of the way they installed the shower thing in the middle so she can just reach off the seat and grab that thing and rinse herself off. The only problem I have is adjusting the temperature on it. She said the water's coming up too hot because she doesn't know how to adjust the thing. The tech showed me how and I did it and it was good. But now, I don't know how to make the water cool. Other than that, it's comfortable for my mom. Getting in and out is easy. It's set up perfectly.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Jason. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family! If there is anything we can do for you, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 so that we can help!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

My experience was very good. The installation was very quick and painless. They were professionals. The tub is very relaxing and the massage jets are great. The aroma smell with the air jets is very soothing and relaxing. The tub is also very efficient and it doesn't use as much water as a regular tub. It empties out very quickly too. Its quality is right up in the top.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We're thrilled to learn about your great experience, Dale. Thank you for sharing and welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

It was very nice working with American Standard. I like our walk-in tub.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We're truly happy to learn about your positive experience, Sandra. Welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

My experience during the installation was pleasant. The men were clean. They were polite. I love everything about the tub and would recommend American Standard.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for taking the time to share your 5-star review, Kevin. Welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

Recently purchased a home with the walk-in tub and warranty is voided after ownership transfer. The tub is leaking and no one is able to repair or service. Called American Standard and they are no help, apparently, they don't care if you don't have warranty anymore. I expected much more for a 15k tub.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We are sorry to hear about your experience, Mariann. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Company Information