4.6/5 (344 ratings)

About American Standard Walk-in Baths

American Standard’s walk-in bathtub selection includes a variety of soaker and jetted tubs, including water and air jets. All models include quick-drain technology, and certain models come with chromotherapy. The company shows all pricing info and exact models online, though you’ll need to get an in-home consultation to understand the full price (including installation).

Pros

• Transparent pricing
    • Customizable soak and massage tubs
    • Quick-drain tech
    • Self-cleaning features available

Cons

• Installation cost varies
    • Limited warranty

Bottom Line

American Standard’s walk-in tubs come in a variety of customizable deep-soak and massage models. It provides installation with the purchase of a walk-in bath. Features include chromotherapy and self-cleaning.

Top American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My wife... has difficulty getting into a tub. ... American Standard's reputation goes beyond other programs. Customer service was very fine and the installation took two days, whi...

Verified

Everybody from American Standard that I had to deal with was quite nice. The representative... answered any questions till I didn't really have any. I knew that American Standard ...

American Standard walk-in tub models

American Standard is a household name for dozens of home fixtures, but its line of customizable walk-in tubs is among the most impressive of its home appliance collections. American Standard offers walk-in bathtubs in four varieties: air baths, bathtubs, whirlpools and combo massage tubs. Its extensive selection lets you choose a tub based on your comfort needs.

Model TypeCost Range*
    Deep Soaking Tubs$4,845 to $8,551
    Walk-in Whirlpool Tubs$5,111 to $8,411
    Walk-in Air Baths$5,216 to $8,436
    Combo Massage Tubs$6,420 to $10,556

*Cost ranges at the time of publishing may not include installation.

American Standard walk-in tub features

For comfort and safety, each American Standard walk-in tub includes built-in contoured seats, a safety bar and textured bath floors. Most come fully equipped with a fast-fill tub faucet, a hand-held showering wand and a color-matched drain and overflow. For units without fixtures, an American Standard walk-in tub faucet can be ordered separately.

In addition to standard safety features, most types of American Standard walk-in bathtubs include massage jets for relaxation:

• Air baths feature over 20 individual jets that deliver all-over, water-based massage therapy through tiny warm air bubbles.
    • Whirlpools include up to 13 water jets with an optional legs-only massage.
    • Combo tubs combine the benefits of air baths and whirlpools with up to 39 jets total.

To keep the massage jets clean, specific combo and whirlpool models also include ozone self-cleaning sanitation systems that help the unit run efficiently and cleanly.

In addition to massage jets, combo tub users can also benefit from multicolored chromotherapy. American Standard tubs equipped with chromotherapy use underwater LED lighting to add a color wash or flowing color sequence to your bath.

All units use American Standard’s patented technology to remove water from the tub in less than two minutes. This technology is usually called Quick Drain, although some larger models (60 inches by 30 inches) use Minute Drain technology.

American Standard walk-in tub cost

An American Standard walk-in tub typically costs from $4,000 to $11,000, with a 28-by-48-inch soaking tub costing significantly less than a 32-by-60-inch combo tub with chromotherapy and ozone self-cleaning systems. Tub size, type, material and any additional features affect the price.

To obtain an accurate quote, customers can schedule a no-cost, no-obligation, in-home safety evaluation. American Standard’s contractors determine prices based on:

• Bathroom layout
    • Doorway and hallway width
    • Electrical system
    • Existing plumbing configuration

American Standard provides a quote based on the evaluation, the type of walk-in tub you choose and the additional features you’d like.  American Standard also offers 18-month, no-interest financing for qualified applicants.

American Standard walk-in tub FAQ

What type of warranty does American Standard offer for walk-in tubs?
    All American Standard walk-in tubs come with a lifetime warranty on the door seal, installation and labor. Acrylic walk-in tubs come with a 15-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a 10-year warranty on all other components. Gelcoat walk-in tubs come with a 10-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a five-year warranty on the components.
    What’s the process for installing an American Standard walk-in tub?
    Factory-trained, certified specialists install your tub, typically within one or two days. The installation team also removes and discards your old tub. Once installed, the American Standard contractor tests your tub and explains operations. The in-home evaluation determines the installation cost.
    What’s the difference between acrylic and fiberglass tubs from American Standard?
    Choosing between a fiberglass and an acrylic American standard walk-in tub depends on your budget, your ability to clean and maintain your tub and the location of the bathroom in your home.

Fiberglass walk-in tubs from American Standard are less expensive, made of lightweight material and ideal for two-story homes. However, fiberglass tubs can be more susceptible to chipping, cracking and failing. They can also stain and absorb water, which can lead to mold buildup if not properly maintained.

Acrylic walk-in tubs from American Standard are less susceptible to physical damage and mold, but they’re more expensive. The heavier material makes acrylic tubs better suited for bathrooms on the first floor.

Both tubs have the same 10- to 15-year lifespan.

How do I clean my American Standard walk-in tub?
    American Standard recommends daily upkeep, weekly or monthly cleaning and occasional deep cleaning for walk-in tubs. After each use, rinse off the tub and fixtures with warm water to remove body oils and soap residue. For weekly or monthly cleaning, fill the tub with hot water to seat height, add low-foaming detergent and run the jets for about ten minutes. Drain the tub and fill it with clean water. Run the jets for 15 more minutes to rinse, then drain. For deep cleaning, use detergent and go through longer cycles with the jets to remove residue. Do not use harsh scrubbers on the tub.
    What should I expect from an American Standard in-home evaluation?
    American Standard offers a free in-home consultation for customers interested in installing a walk-in tub. A certified safety specialist will come to your home, take measurements of your bathroom and determine if the site is suitable for a walk-in tub. You will also receive an accurate price quote that includes the cost of professional installation.

Do we recommend American Standard walk-in tubs?

American Standard’s walk-in tubs provide a customized experience for users of any age. While prices start in the $4,000 range and climb to $11,000 or more, there are no hidden costs, and no-interest financing is available. Quotes include installation and labor, and the company backs its products with a lifetime warranty.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

We have used American Standard toilets and things like that for the last 50 years. So, when we went for the tub, I didn't want to go for a name of a company that I didn't know. The sales rep was fairly new, but she immediately was able to get ahold of her supervisor and answer questions that we had that she wasn't sure of. She had an answer, but she wasn't sure of it, so she hardened the answer. And it was about construction and removing doorways. It was difficult for them to get that tub into the small bathroom that we have it in and they had to completely take out a wall, rebuild it and redo the doorway. And she was not sure on a couple of issues about that, but got the correct answers for us. The crew that came out did exceptional work and they did it as fast the time as they possibly could, which was only two days. Everything was back to exactly the way it needed to be when they were done and everything worked properly. So, I was happy.

I love the tub. I just wish the seat was lower into the tub. You sit up high, so it's hard to get water above chest level. The upper abdomen is about as high as you can get that water to go while you're seated. You can slide down in, but it's very uncomfortable on your legs to get that low and you're propping yourself up with your legs to do it. So, if the seated part was another just three or four inches lower, then you would be able to comfortably get underwater. I'm only five-foot-seven. If somebody six-foot bought that, even that wouldn't help. But that's the only thing for me. Everything else is perfect. I love it. I'm in it sometimes twice a day.

It does my lower back and my legs perfectly for me, even though I sit up a little higher. It still gets above my lower back and the jets do, and it works perfect for me. But people need to know what they want that tub to do for them before they jump into it. That way, if they're expecting something that they're not going to get, then that's going to create a headache because it's a permanent install. If they know what they want and will know what they expect this tub to do, I would recommend this tub.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We truly appreciate your kind words, and we thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, Robert! Welcome to the American Standard Family!

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I grilled the salesman because I already had the presentation by their major competitor. There were a lot of aspects that I was concerned about and the biggest one was losing my shower. American Standard has a feature that their competition doesn't. Their walk-in tub comes with a bar to mount the spray as a shower. If I had gone with the other brand, I would have lost the shower for the sake of putting in my tub. I also asked the rep a lot of technical questions about installation and he was very good about all of that. He was negotiable too which was good.

The installation team was very polite and well-mannered. They did a professional job. But, I was disappointed with the one who worked in the basement. It wasn't until a few days later that I went down to my workshop in the basement and found that he had moved things to run the wire from the power box to bring it up to the floor by the tub but he didn't put them back in the workshop. That was very lazy. He had also knocked stuff off the shelf and didn't even pick them up.

Also, I had a chair there with a box of paper on it to keep it up off the floor. I noticed that the box had been taken off the chair and put on the floor. I could only assume that it was so he could sit there and take a break where it was cool in the basement. He didn't even bother putting the box back. But again, it's just one of the workmen. Out of sight, out of mind. Nobody saw what he was doing. The ones working upstairs were fine. But I had to have the workmen back about a week later because one of the parts of the tub wasn't secured tightly and I was afraid it was going to fall off. The tub has a lifetime warranty so I called and there was no charge. The team came and fixed it.

Unfortunately, American Standard is following the lead of their main competitor who had the market for a while. And they only sell a top-of-the-line Cadillac very expensive tub, because it's a spa and it has all the bells and whistles. It has lighting that changes colors. What I got had an awful lot of stuff but I had no choice. The other option was buying a tub from Home Depot and getting a contractor which is extremely difficult during COVID. I was forced into the decisions that I made but my spouse is happy with the tub.

The one area I was really unhappy with was that I paid by credit card and when the job was done, I expected that they were going to take my credit card and swipe it into a mobile device. But they had me write down my entire credit card number, PIN number and the date of expiration on a form. Then they manually entered it into their tablet and then they kept the damn form. There's no reason on God's green earth why American Standard shouldn't have modern technology when it comes to taking a credit card. Not only that, they had to use my WiFi to connect and I had to give them my password for them to use my WiFi. I assume they're on the up and up but this doesn't bode well for a company that's supposed to be top-notch.

Now, there's a guy that I don't know from Adam, and he's walking around with a piece of paper that has my credit card number and my PIN. I was extremely annoyed with their method of taking credit card payments. American Standard as the prime contractor has the overall responsibility that their employees represent them in a business-like manner.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, John! Welcome to the American Standard Family!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

The salesman was pretty convincing. He was really nice. My kids work at home and so they were very worried about having an install during the week because they're on the phone a lot. American Standard worked real hard to get me a Saturday and Sunday install, and which is very rare. That's hard for them to do and that sold us to American Standard.

The installer sat down and answered all of our questions before he did the install in case we wanted to cancel. My son is very particular and meticulous, so he asked him a series of questions. The installer said he have to do a little investigating. So we allowed him to cut a hole in the garage to do a little investigating on the way the support beams ran. When he found out how they ran, he said it'd be real easy to run the electrical. The installation crew did a fantastic job. They let us know every time they were gonna make noise. They had to do some grinding on there to get the thing in. They also had to take the door frame out and you couldn’t even tell they’d taken it out.

I worked in construction for years and service is something that's very important. I really liked that the installer called the whole family, and he went through every feature after the tub was installed. He showed us how to work everything to make us all feel good. He also gave me his card and said, “If you have any problems, give me a call.” I've used the tub quite a few times since they put it in, and I haven't had any problems.

We asked for the shower and the installer put a little strip stand where you could put your shower thing up there. A lot of times we just like a quick shower. A lot of times, I'll get in the tub and fill it up, turn on the air and the water jets, and just lean back. American Standard gave us the little packets that have lavender in them and it's nice. The tub really relaxes you. I went to sleep right after that, so it was great. I have a few people that have looked at the tub but some of my friends who are also 74 years old don't have the money that I have. The tub is a bit expensive, so some people can't afford it. But I continue to talk to people about it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We love to hear about your wonderful experience, Travis! Welcome to the American Standard Family!

Original review: June 13, 2021

We got an American Standard walk-in bath as a way of preventively avoiding falls associated with climbing over and into a regular tub. And I've always wanted a spa, a whirlpool, and this provided both. So it was a nice combination and it worked into having it indoors. Initially, we were planning to do just some resource exploration of pros and cons but we were so impressed with our salesperson that we decided to go ahead and do it. Everything went well and on schedule. The people were polite, very neat, and didn't leave a mess behind.

The only thing that we have not been satisfied with is we were planning to put a bidet that came with it. At first, we had not planned to get a bidet but that came as part of the promotion. And we were going to put that in the little bathroom, not the main bathroom. But somehow, we got persuaded that we really ought to have it in the main bathroom and it was not a good decision. So, we want to have it moved and put the bidet in the little bathroom like we had planned in the beginning. My husband has made several contacts, trying to find out how we cut off the water so that we can do it, and we've not been able to get an answer on that. I have finally hired a plumber to come tomorrow to look at it then we'll have to pay him to do it. Bu we would have liked to have had enough information that my husband, who's pretty handy with things, could have perhaps done that himself.

Other than that, we've learned that the walk-in tub is something that empties quickly and that was a plus for us because I heard that sometimes people have sat in there and wait for it to drain. I also like the fact that it's got a lot of jets. Since we're summer chickens instead of spring chickens, we're going to get some good action from that. There were some nice bells and whistles on that that we would not have sought out but it's really a nice shower. It's got pretty lights, too.

I told my husband that this is the easiest shower I've ever had because you can sit down and use the handheld shower thing. It really meets all of our needs and it will allow us to stay in our home longer. I'm still learning all the bells and whistles of it and but it doesn't seem to be overly complicated. I don't understand the bidet very well as far as the instructions for the remote and there are buttons for that which don't make a lot of sense to me. But I'm hoping that when I have time to sit down and look at the manual, I can figure them out.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We simply love your review, Patricia! Thanks for your kind words!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

The bathtub we had in Canada was one of the very small ones from the 1960s. I couldn't even stretch my legs out in. Great for kids. When I had a house built, I thought, "It'd be so nice to have a soaking bathtub." We went to a surplus store and I saw one with the jets and I thought, "Okay, that's the one I want." I told my brother that because he was building our house. It was put in and I never even tried to get in it before. When I did, I realized I'm short. I'm 5'3" and my inseam is 22 inches and the bathtub was taller than that. I had to hold on to the safety bar and then hop over into the tub. I had one bath in it, and after that, it was nothing but showers.

We've been in this house for 10 years now and over that time, I had a heart attack. I also have sciatica, and I've got neuropathy in my leg, and I have some other health issues. I had a stent put in in 2017 and that helped a lot. Over the years, when you're getting ill, your life gets smaller, but you don't know it. I have AFib too. In early September, I got to go see my cardiologist again because we got onto Medicare. My heart was beating every four seconds at night sometimes and every second and a half in the daytime. That's why I was tired and exhausted and could care less about anything going on. I just had a pacemaker put in, so I'm feeling fine now.

My mom passed away in July, and she wanted me to get one of these tubs with the money that I got. I called up Kohler and they came out. The guy was very nice and he was telling us this, but he was always criticizing the other companies. They have a low step-in, which would have been nice, but I thought, "I'm also gonna check out American Standard." The guy who came out was nice and as friendly as the other guy. He also didn't criticize the others and he told me about his company's tub. The prices weren't that much different, but I liked some of the features that American Standard had. He was showing us the different samples and he said, "Think about it and give me a call back." With the Kohler guy, there was a special on and we had to do it then.

My husband and I talked after the guy from American Standard left and I gave him a call the next day and said we'd chosen them. I didn't realize how expensive the tubs were though. We got the basic one and it's $15,880-something, which is a lot of money, but to get all the bells and whistles, you're looking at about 25,000. I have better things to do with my money than to get those jets and colored lights. I also hadn't gotten the money from my mom yet, but American Standard had this thing where it was 0% this and 0% that and then when I get my money, I can pay it off. However, we didn't qualify for that because we don't have a credit card (we save up and use cash), but they had financing.

Because of COVID and everybody trying to get things done to their house, it took extra time for us to get the tub, but that was fine with us. I'd been without it for a long time. A couple of extra weeks wasn't gonna hurt. It wasn't their fault too. We then got a call from American Standard saying the tub was going to be here Tuesday on such and such a date, and I said, "That's fine. We're not going anyplace." One of the things I was going to do with my mom's money fell through. I called up on Thursday and I asked the rep, "Is it possible to put a quick drain in my tub?" She said she'll check it out, and I got a call back saying, "No problem." When the tub came on Tuesday, it had the quick drain and that bathtub drains in a minute and a half or a little longer. I love the quick drain.

American Standard worked with us. When our house was built, we had the doors made so a wheelchair could go in and out for the future. It was easier for the people that came out on Tuesday to get the tub into where the bathroom was. They didn't have to take out the frame, just the doors off. People need to be aware that they need to talk with American Standard about that. They also did measurements, so we knew what was coming. If we didn't know about it, we still would have gone ahead with it, but they would have had to have done a lot more work.

The people that came out to install had to drive an hour here, and then they would have to drive an hour back home. They got quite a bit done when they came and they were going to come back the next day, but they asked if it was okay if they were able to stay here and just finish it that day. It was fine with us, so they were here from 7:00 in the morning till 7:00 at night. They cleaned up everything. They left the bathroom great too. They didn't leave a mess anywhere, and they filled up all the little holes. They were wonderful. Where the showerhead had been, one of the people was able to cut down one of the tiles that I had that's now under the tub. He cut it down to make it look like it was a natural thing up on the wall.

I love the bathtub. I'm able to sit in there and have my feet and my legs soak in the hot water, and I haven't done that in years. Putting my feet in a little thing that only covers my ankles doesn't quite do it. It's also good for me to not just get a tub that I walk in very easily because it makes me use my leg, and it's not that hard to do it.

The bathtub is safe as well. I have been washing my hair in either the bathroom or kitchen sink, and I have to put my arms above my head to do that, but I have arthritis in my shoulders. With this bathtub, all I do is lean forward, get the showerhead and spray my hair and wet it down. I just bend my head to my arms and I can shampoo my hair easily and rinse it off. We also got a free bidet toilet. My husband says, "We don't need the bidet toilet," but that's what he likes best. He's 72 years old and he complains about things, but he ends up loving that toilet. He says, "That's the best thing ever."

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Adell, thank you so much for leaving this review. We're very happy everything worked out to your liking. Thank you for being a part of the American Standard family!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Tub worked fine for about a year, then door seal sprung a leak that floods bathroom when 1/2 full. Working with maintenance dept for 3 months now to fix. Repair/install tech determined 2 1/2 months ago that door was cracked and had to be replaced. Call maintenance rep for updates and just get revised dates for when the door will be in (next week, Dec 20, Feb 8) and excuses (lack of staff, parts). Tub still unusable for soaking.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We are very sorry to hear about your experience, Robert. One of our representatives will follow up with you on this.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Purchased Liberation Tub 6-24-20. Tub is leaking from the drain into basement area on discharge of water. Have been calling American Standard/Safety Tub For Service since Sept 2021 with no response or call back. Totally disgusted with the service aspect of this product. Will no longer consider American Standard products for future purchase.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We are very sorry to hear about your experience, Sydney. One of our representatives will follow up with you on this.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

My tub had problems after 2 months. Called customer service and never got a date for repair and when messages left No call back. Finally after 3 weeks and many calls I was given 12/31/21 as repair date. No one showed. Another repairman called and said the first man didn’t want to do the job so he dumped it on him. In the meantime I am handicapped and unable to use the tub I paid a lot for. American Standard is the worst company to ever deal with. Once they have your money they don’t care about the customer. Still waiting for repair.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We are very sorry to hear about your experience, Ethel. One of our representatives will follow up with you on this.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

The sales representative was very nice and appeared knowledgeable. The only trouble we had with him was we went back and forth about the color. I told him I wanted the off-color or tan color and he said that I'd better go with the white as it was better for the application. When the tub actually came, the installers said it was the wrong color tub. We bought the beige and they took the wrong color back. They brought the next one. We ordered the right color and got it in a relatively short period of time. My mom is the only one that uses the tub and she absolutely loves it. She really enjoys it and it's a great product. It's 100% safer and there is a good quality in it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, George. Welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

The rep was knowledgeable and thorough. He explained everything. The installers were very nice. But I went under the house and they had not closed up the cutouts that they had made. They kind left them. I called back to American Standard and complained that the job was not finished. The same crew went back and finished it. The product is wonderful and I love it. I like the way it fills up fast and empties fast. But, I slip and slide on the seat so I had to get some strips to put on there.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your 5-star review and welcome to the American Standard family!

American Standard Walk-in Baths Company Information