4.4/5 (326 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About American Residential Warranty

American Residential Warranty provides homeowners with service contracts that cover repairs or replacements. We have partnered with AIG, Asurion, and Amynta to ensure outstanding coverage and customizable home protection.

Pros

• Select your contractor
  • Electronics plan available
  • Nationwide coverage
  • Long-term contract not required

Cons

• Some systems have limited caps
  • Homeowner is responsible for contacting approved contractor

Bottom Line

American Residential Warranty offers nationwide coverage and ample protection for your home. While there are some limited caps, ARW provides coverage for items many home warranties do not plus flexible contract terms.

Top American Residential Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Could not have asked for a more comfortable, seamless and efficient experience. More proof that ARW was a very wise choice and a sound investment. From the courtesy of the ARW rep...

Verified

When I called in after having trouble with my stove ARW responded with no problem. They were so great. I stared recommended people to join. It's well worth it. The monthly payment...

American Residential Warranty plans

American Residential Warranty is a national company that serves customers in all 50 states. The company offers a full range of products, including home warranty plans, electronics protection plans and home security systems. Homeowners can choose from the following plans to best fit their needs.

• Heating and Cooling: Covers three major home systems.
  • Kitchen Plus: Covers major kitchen appliances, plus your electrical system
  • Platinum: Covers major appliances, plus three major home systems.
  • Platinum Premier: The most popular and comprehensive plan ARW offers, covering 17 major appliances and systems.
  • 4-in-1 Bundle: Covers all appliances and systems covered under Platinum Premier, plus extended coverage, sewer and water line coverage and electronics protection.

American Residential Warranty cost

Plans from American Residential Warranty range in cost from $34.99 per month to $124.99 per month. The average cost for a combo plan is $60 per month. In addition to the regular monthly fee, customers will pay a one-time $39 enrollment fee regardless of the plan they choose.

American Residential Warranty has flexible payment plans, and customers can choose whether they’d like to pay annually, quarterly or monthly. American Residential Warranty’s service fees run $55 per visit, which is one of the lowest fees we’ve seen in the industry.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Heating and Cooling$39.99
Kitchen Plus$34.99
Platinum$49.99
Platinum Premier$59.99
4-in-1 Bundle$124.99

American Residential Warranty coverage

The Platinum Premier package from American Residential Warranty is their most popular plan and covers the following items

Covered appliances:

• Plumbing internal parts
  • Plumbing wax seals
  • Pool/spa

American Residential Warranty coverage exclusions

American Residential Warranty does not include coverage for known pre-existing conditions, cosmetic damage or damage due to misuse or abuse of covered items.

The warranty doesn’t cover costs associated with refinishing walls torn down to obtain access to encased items like ductwork or plumbing, rust and corrosion, or costs to bring items up to code.

These exclusions are all standard for home warranty contracts. You can find a full list of exclusions for your home state via American Residential Warranty's sample contract.

American Residential Warranty coverage limits

American Residential Warranty only specifies coverage limits for their optional (a la carte) items. These maximums range from $500–$2,500 per item.

ItemAmerican Residential’s coverage limit
Plumbing advantage$500
Well pump system$1,000

American Residential Warranty claims

How to request service from American Residential Warranty:

1. Submit your claim by contacting ARW online or over the phone.
  2. ARW will assign a service provider to your claim and give you their contact information.
  3. You will call the service provider to schedule your service.
  4. A technician will diagnose and make the repair.
  5. You will pay your service call fee ($55).

Service recall period: ARW guarantees all work for 30 days on labor and 60 days on parts. In the event a repair fails within this period, ARW will send a technician to make additional repairs at no extra cost/service call fee.

Emergency service: Under normal conditions, ARW will try to get a technician to your home within 48 hours to make any necessary repairs. If your situation is deemed an emergency, they will make every attempt to rush the service to occur within 24 hours.

American Residential Warranty contractors: American Residential Warranty gives customers the option to use an ARW approved technician or pick their own contractors, unlike many other companies that only let customers use affiliated technicians. One benefit of going with an ARW approved provider is they are pre-screened by the company.

American Residential Warranty FAQ

Can I choose my own service provider for repairs?
Yes. You’ll need to let the claims representative know in advance, and your selected technician will have to call American Residential Warranty for prior authorization before starting work.
Can I get an American Residential Warranty without signing a long-term contract?
Yes. ARW does not require long-term contracts. Monthly, quarterly and annual terms are available.
Is there a cancellation fee for American Residential Warranty?
No. There are no cancellation fees for monthly, quarterly or annual term agreements. Cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. All refunds will be made by ARW within 30 days of cancelling. If the refund takes longer to process than 30 days, ARW will add 10 percent to your refund.

Is American Residential Warranty worth it?

American Residential Warranty makes it easy for homeowners by allowing them to bundle protection plans and even choose their own service contractors. There’s a 30-day waiting period after you buy an American Residential Warranty plan, but this is standard to most home warranty service providers. You can choose add-ons across many home-repair categories for a fully customized plan.

With their flexible plans, including a month-to-month plan, American Residential Warranty may be particularly appealing to those opposed to long-term contracts.

American Residential Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Residential Warranty?

Original review: March 23, 2022

I called in to advise that I was canceling my service solely for the issue of an unauthorized automatic payment being debited from my credit card. I have manually called in my payments since I acquired your company 15 years ago. Needless to say I was beyond angry. I called in and the gentleman named Dominic answered the phone. He quickly advised me that there was an issue with this payment system after some type of an upgrade. With the upgrade he advised me that most of the customers were sent back to the reoccurring automatic schedule payment system including those who are not previously using the service.

I continue to vent and he continued to calm me down. After assuring me he will put a notation in the system that I will be back on the manual system next year, he sent confirmations and receipt to me by email. He then went on to advise me about a service for a monitoring system through ADT which I currently have. He asked me to reach out to the company to see about an upgrade to the monitoring system for a little to no increase to me. Wow what a difference that information made to me.

This gentleman was a GEM. He is truly an ASSET to your company. He literally stayed on that phone until he was sure that I was satisfied. I need someone to acknowledge that and let him know how he literally saved a customer from leaving your company and finding another for her needs. Dominic thank you thank you thank you. I hope I get you every time I call for payment. As a matter of fact. The company NEEDS to find that recorded conversation and use it for training purposes. Amazing customer service SIR DOMINIC.

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. We are happy to hear that Dominic was able to help with your payment issues, and we appreciate you giving us the chance to make things right. Thank you for choosing American Residential Warranty, and we look forward to continuing to work with you.

American Residential Warranty

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have never ever given a review on anything but today I've got to let whomever reads this will find this AMAZING woman in the corporate office and have her help you. Not sure if I'm suppose to do this but the number is 1-800-910-8538. ASK FOR MARGE. She said she is the only Marge there and they will tell her you're on the line if she's with a customer she will call you back or call her back again if you haven't heard from her. This wonderful lady has been in customer service for over 40 years she says, so she knows what she's doing and has a professional, caring, and patient side to her and gets whatever you may need done.

I have called customer service for three days and spoke to various employees about the problem I was having, I was lied to, on hold Monday for 43 minutes finally just so frustrated I hung up. I called again on Tuesday, got a different person that puts your calls through to the right department and was on hold for ONE HOUR AND TWELVE MINUTES only to be answered then hung up on. I was furious. The person that takes the call from the very beginning (customer service) that will transfer you to the Department you need if they can't help you, they will transfer you to wherever you need to be. They are very rude. All three days I called they ask the problem and WHILE I'M SPEAKING you know THE CUSTOMER THAT HELPS EMPLOY THEM puts me on hold without saying a word. Very rude and disrespectful.

When I called today I made sure I wrote down the name of the person that answered, his name is Robert, VERY VERY RUDE! He wasn't rude when answering. He ask what I was calling about. I got maybe two short sentences out and in the middle of my second sentence of about four words put me on hold and I all of a sudden am now listening to music.

That's ok now because MARGE answered, I gotta be honest I was so mad, I yelled a little just out of pure frustration and felt so small and embarrassed for doing that because she was so helpful and nice. Marge took care of my problem did not put me on hold after I begged for her not to do that as she was typing she was telling me what she was typing. The wonderful lady she was typing to responded immediately not because Marge typed my story to her. She typed in few direct words of what needs to be done. The lady that responded so quickly and why she did so immediately is because SHE'S DOING HER JOB, she's doing what she is getting paid for and whomever she is is doing a great job as well.

I have been in customer service for over 40 years as well as Marge except I am a server. I do my job well because my customers pay my bills, if it's in my power I will do anything to make you happy within reason because the customer is MY BOSS and THEY PAY MY BILLS. I make great money because I do my job well. A customer wants to be treated well when they go out to dinner with their families as they should be treated in that manner. Good service should always be just that good service to all customers regardless of any establishment. It's very hard to find that anymore these days. Marge changed my thinking today about people in general so much so she is the first and only to get a review from me of any kind about anything ever. Marge did a fantastic job and I really appreciate her.

Hi Sherry,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us! We look forward to continuing to serve you and encourage you to reach out should you ever need us for future home warranty services. Have a great day!

American Residential Warranty

Original review: June 24, 2021

I have talked with SEVERAL representatives, this week, in reference to initiating a claim on the inside unit of my AC. During the course of my interaction, with different representatives, several different dates of my coverage were stated to me. Not one of the representatives could clearly explain the difference in dates. I asked every question that I thought was relevant to my concern and each answer was conflicting until I talked with Arthur. His explanation was precise, easy to accept and very professional. I was definitely receptive to his conversation and his information. Additionally, he brought closure to my concern. He stated he would submit info to IT, check on the status of my account, going forward , and keep me abreast of any changes. Even though I still haven't filed the claim I feel much better after having converse with Arthur. Please know this, Arthur is a Definite Asset to and for your company.

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for specifically mentioning Arthur's excellent customer service. Thank you for choosing American Residential Warranty for your home warranty needs and for being such a loyal customer - we appreciate you!

American Residential Warranty

Original review: June 10, 2021

I'm requesting to send me refund for the 2 months of premium I paid for the warranty. When I signed up I was given information that is not accurate. I've been told by the agent that all appliances are covered including washer and dryer. And also I was not informed that there is service fee for every claim. I made sure that the washer and dryer are included he said all appliances. And I've been told that the monthly premium is all I have pay. I verified that information clearly and I even convinced my brother to sign up too.

I spoke with 3 different agents I was not satisfied with their information. (Andre, Natalie and Kernst) then I requested to talk to a manager and put me on hold for a long time then ANDI answered the phone. She was the only person that is very helpful and understand my feeling of frustration. She was the only one that I understand her clearly too. Please let me know if you need additional information from me.

Hi Bernarda,

Thank you for your feedback.
    We understand your frustrations and apologize for the unfortunate experience you describe above.

We value your feedback as we improve our business processes. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: June 9, 2021

When we closed escrow on our house, we were offered to purchase American Home Shield or First American Home Warranty, both of which I tried in our previous homes. As I checked the reviews on both companies, I realized that their ratings were bad. Then, I looked on the BBB website and found ARW and they had the best rating. Debra from sales called me and explained quite a few things that made ARW a much better option. Just a couple of important ones are the fact that the deductible was only $55 as compared to others which are at $75 and the fact that when you call, you are not routed to a call center in another country. That helps a lot for communication purposes. So far so good. We are happy with the items that we called in recently. They were handled in a timely manner and the tech knew what he was doing and fixed the problem.

Hi Dorothy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We value your feedback.
    We are so pleased to hear that you have had a wonderful claims experience and look forward to continuing to protect your home.

Thank you for choosing American Residential Warranty.

American Residential Warranty.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Very professional service. My matter was taken care of, i'll like your business. As always my requests were taken care of, I forget your employee's name sorry. I think it's Jorden. She was professional and a pleasure to have serviced my request, I will recommend your company

Hi Kim,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our services! We're happy to have been able to help you with your requests and look forward to continuing to provide quality home warranty services for you. Thanks again and have a great day!

American Residential Warranty

Original review: May 16, 2022

When asking about a Warranty on your house make sure you're clear about what you want. I really appreciated how polite Matt was, he was very helpful. Got me more coverage on more item in my home. I would recommend him to anyone actually. I really like when people can really explain using their words.

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you so much for this review! We are happy to have the opportunity to work with you through your home warranty needs and very much appreciate your recommendation. Thank you for choosing ARW, and have a wonderful day!

American Residential Warranty

Original review: May 13, 2022

There was a miscommunication on Chris's and Matt's part in several phone calls. I was told certain things were included that apparently were not. Different totals were given to me. It truly was a ** show, but in the end, I believe Matt and I work things out. I truly hope the service will be worth the aggravation and you live up to the reviews.

Hi Stacey,

Thank you for providing your feedback. Our team always encourages our clients to provide their feedback whether positive or negative as we use both as a way to improve our services.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I called 4/29/22 with initial complaints, it took me talking with several people to get a plumber. I had to file another claim in order to get a plumber to take care what should've been done. Several calls to the Retention Dept. and pleading with them to call the vendor making them aware of my policy Plumbing Advantage and fixtures was covered and the job could and should've been done. This issue started 4/29 - today is 5/12/2022 and I'm still fighting/waiting on resolve.

Hi Vertique,

We truly apologize for the inconvenience with the delay of your claim. We have reached out to the appropriate department to assist you further. Please send us a direct message with any details from the claim such as claim number, approximate date of claim placed, etc. and we will have someone reach out to assist you as soon as possible.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I was assisted by Karen who was warm and helpful with taking my payment over the phone. She went out the way to make sure my needs were met. I appreciate her helpful assistance. She also asked me if I were interested in listening to an offer regarding an alarm system being that it comes with my ARW package. I did listen and asked questions to make a informed decision. Karen was a pleasant person to speak with. Thank you.

Hi Jacquelyn,

We are happy to hear about the customer service experience you received when speaking with Kathy. If we can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to call.

American Residential Warranty Company Information