4.4/5 (279 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About American Residential Warranty

American Residential Warranty provides homeowners with service contracts that cover repairs or replacements. We have partnered with AIG, Asurion, and Amynta to ensure outstanding coverage and customizable home protection.

Pros

• Select your contractor
    • Electronics plan available
    • Nationwide coverage
    • Long-term contract not required

Cons

• Some systems have limited caps
    • Homeowner is responsible for contacting approved contractor

Bottom Line

American Residential Warranty offers nationwide coverage and ample protection for your home. While there are some limited caps, ARW provides coverage for items many home warranties do not plus flexible contract terms.

Top American Residential Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Could not have asked for a more comfortable, seamless and efficient experience. More proof that ARW was a very wise choice and a sound investment. From the courtesy of the ARW rep...

Verified

When I called in after having trouble with my stove ARW responded with no problem. They were so great. I stared recommended people to join. It's well worth it. The monthly payment...

American Residential Warranty plans

American Residential Warranty is a national company that serves customers in all 50 states. The company offers a full range of products, including home warranty plans, electronics protection plans and home security systems. Homeowners can choose from the following plans to best fit their needs.

• Heating and Cooling: Covers three major home systems.
    • Kitchen Plus: Covers major kitchen appliances, plus your electrical system
    • Platinum: Covers major appliances, plus three major home systems.
    • Platinum Premier: The most popular and comprehensive plan ARW offers, covering 17 major appliances and systems.
    • 4-in-1 Bundle: Covers all appliances and systems covered under Platinum Premier, plus extended coverage, sewer and water line coverage and electronics protection.

American Residential Warranty cost

Plans from American Residential Warranty range in cost from $34.99 per month to $124.99 per month. The average cost for a combo plan is $60 per month. In addition to the regular monthly fee, customers will pay a one-time $39 enrollment fee regardless of the plan they choose.

American Residential Warranty has flexible payment plans, and customers can choose whether they’d like to pay annually, quarterly or monthly. American Residential Warranty’s service fees run $55 per visit, which is one of the lowest fees we’ve seen in the industry.

PlanAverage monthly cost
    Heating and Cooling$39.99
    Kitchen Plus$34.99
    Platinum$49.99
    Platinum Premier$59.99
    4-in-1 Bundle$124.99

American Residential Warranty coverage

The Platinum Premier package from American Residential Warranty is their most popular plan and covers the following items

Covered appliances:

• Plumbing internal parts
    • Plumbing wax seals
    • Pool/spa

American Residential Warranty coverage exclusions

American Residential Warranty does not include coverage for known pre-existing conditions, cosmetic damage or damage due to misuse or abuse of covered items.

The warranty doesn’t cover costs associated with refinishing walls torn down to obtain access to encased items like ductwork or plumbing, rust and corrosion, or costs to bring items up to code.

These exclusions are all standard for home warranty contracts. You can find a full list of exclusions for your home state via American Residential Warranty's sample contract.

American Residential Warranty coverage limits

American Residential Warranty only specifies coverage limits for their optional (a la carte) items. These maximums range from $500–$2,500 per item.

ItemAmerican Residential’s coverage limit
    Plumbing advantage$500
    Well pump system$1,000

American Residential Warranty claims

How to request service from American Residential Warranty:

1. Submit your claim by contacting ARW online or over the phone.
    2. ARW will assign a service provider to your claim and give you their contact information.
    3. You will call the service provider to schedule your service.
    4. A technician will diagnose and make the repair.
    5. You will pay your service call fee ($55).

Service recall period: ARW guarantees all work for 30 days on labor and 60 days on parts. In the event a repair fails within this period, ARW will send a technician to make additional repairs at no extra cost/service call fee.

Emergency service: Under normal conditions, ARW will try to get a technician to your home within 48 hours to make any necessary repairs. If your situation is deemed an emergency, they will make every attempt to rush the service to occur within 24 hours.

American Residential Warranty contractors: American Residential Warranty gives customers the option to use an ARW approved technician or pick their own contractors, unlike many other companies that only let customers use affiliated technicians. One benefit of going with an ARW approved provider is they are pre-screened by the company.

American Residential Warranty FAQ

Can I choose my own service provider for repairs?

Yes. You’ll need to let the claims representative know in advance, and your selected technician will have to call American Residential Warranty for prior authorization before starting work.

Can I get an American Residential Warranty without signing a long-term contract?

Yes. ARW does not require long-term contracts. Monthly, quarterly and annual terms are available.

Is there a cancellation fee for American Residential Warranty?

No. There are no cancellation fees for monthly, quarterly or annual term agreements. Cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. All refunds will be made by ARW within 30 days of cancelling. If the refund takes longer to process than 30 days, ARW will add 10 percent to your refund.

Is American Residential Warranty worth it?

American Residential Warranty makes it easy for homeowners by allowing them to bundle protection plans and even choose their own service contractors. There’s a 30-day waiting period after you buy an American Residential Warranty plan, but this is standard to most home warranty service providers. You can choose add-ons across many home-repair categories for a fully customized plan.

With their flexible plans, including a month-to-month plan, American Residential Warranty may be particularly appealing to those opposed to long-term contracts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Residential Warranty?

Original review: June 8, 2022

When I lost my debit card given to ARW for the purpose of automatic monthly billing, I missed my payment for the month. Joel helped me set up my newly issued card and set payment for two days out (since no funds had yet been added to the account since receiving the newly issued card). Joel also sent me immediately at my request a statement of coverage for the warranty which I had requested in an earlier telephone call with a different representative but had not received. Joel was knowledgeable, courteous, helpful, and professional throughout our interaction. Based on this call I would recommend ARW for its customer service/billing department. The content of my review is not influenced by the small incentive received to write a review.

Hi Fred,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. We are happy to hear that Joel was able to help with setting up your new card and providing your statement coverage. We appreciate you giving us the chance to make things right. Thank you for choosing American Residential Warranty, and we look forward to continuing to work with you.

ARW Home

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2022

I called in to advise that I was canceling my service solely for the issue of an unauthorized automatic payment being debited from my credit card. I have manually called in my payments since I acquired your company 15 years ago. Needless to say I was beyond angry. I called in and the gentleman named Dominic answered the phone. He quickly advised me that there was an issue with this payment system after some type of an upgrade. With the upgrade he advised me that most of the customers were sent back to the reoccurring automatic schedule payment system including those who are not previously using the service.

I continue to vent and he continued to calm me down. After assuring me he will put a notation in the system that I will be back on the manual system next year, he sent confirmations and receipt to me by email. He then went on to advise me about a service for a monitoring system through ADT which I currently have. He asked me to reach out to the company to see about an upgrade to the monitoring system for a little to no increase to me. Wow what a difference that information made to me.

This gentleman was a GEM. He is truly an ASSET to your company. He literally stayed on that phone until he was sure that I was satisfied. I need someone to acknowledge that and let him know how he literally saved a customer from leaving your company and finding another for her needs. Dominic thank you thank you thank you. I hope I get you every time I call for payment. As a matter of fact. The company NEEDS to find that recorded conversation and use it for training purposes. Amazing customer service SIR DOMINIC.

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. We are happy to hear that Dominic was able to help with your payment issues, and we appreciate you giving us the chance to make things right. Thank you for choosing American Residential Warranty, and we look forward to continuing to work with you.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

We were being assisted by an ARW representative named Dominic today. He listened with an intent to problem solve and gave appropriate solutions. I found him to be endearing, amazingly polite, and he referred to my husband and I by our last name, also saying Ma'am at every conversation point. You could hear that he was either smiling or cheerful, which may be hard to do when people are calling about some sort of unhappy experience with their home. He stayed a model of employee professionalism throughout the service call, he even stayed on the line while transferring me to a different department so that I would have the live representative needed. All of this was without asking - Total winner and such an asset to American Residential.

Valued Customer,

Your review has made our day! We are happy to hear that we were able to help you with your problem. Dominic will be thrilled to have earned your excellent review. Thank you so much for trusting us with your home warranty needs.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

Dominick tried very hard to satisfy any need I may need or want, in order to keep my business. He is a 5 star employee when it comes to customer service, Thanks Dominick! But I disagreed with my claims handling and do not want a repeat performance, I tried to reach a manager or a supervisor to no avail. All numbers given to me only lead to my frustration of only reaching another regular customer representative. I now want account # ** not to be renewed or money debited from my account after its expiration of 02/14/2022. This is to serve as non renewal/ Cancellation notice. Time is of the the essence. You no longer have permission to debit my account. Dora

Hi Dora,

We regret to hear that your claims handling has led you to cancel your account with us. However, we respect your decision, hoping to get in touch with you in the future.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I would receive a welcome package...I did not. So I called and they allowed me to download a "copy" which had sample stamped across each page. After viewing my plan I determined I didn't need this plan (after my plan had started) so...customer service today said he was asking for my full refund for me as I hoped for. I give the five stars to the efforts of my customer service rep dominic for his professional manners and efforts to find out the problem and trying to resolve..I still don't know if it will happen. I have paid for a year of service and $11.00 to mail a request to cancel. Waiting to hear how long it will be for a refund and how much. 09/29/21

Hi Elizabeth,

While we're happy to know that Dominic was able to assist you, we're sad to see you go. Should you ever need our services in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us. We'll be happy to have you back.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

This home warranty seems very enticing in the beginning when you begin your search for home warranties, but DO NOT BE FOOLED. This home warranty was purchased as a closing gift, and served a specific purpose. When my relator approached Dani ** at ARW Home warranty, she made the purpose of the purchase VERY specific.

Lo and behold, 34 days after we move in, our AC goes out. We live in Arizona. It was 117 degrees that day. My husband called and the representative said we could call any service provider of our choice, because it's covered in our warranty. Service provider comes out, AC is dead. Cannot be fixed. We were advised that we could submit the report from the Service guy and it would be "reviewed". Not only was it hard to speak to anyone, the person on the receiving end of the phone call never had any authority to answer any questions. It was always up to the manager, or someone else, who was quite literally ALWAYS in a meeting when we called for an update. If they promised someone would call back within an hour or two, they never did. We would call again, and there would not longer be anybody in the office-they went home without calling us back. It was 117 degrees. My home was 91 degrees by the end of the day.

We had to chase them down for 3 days, for them to tell us that they were denying our claim. They ended up denying our request on a technicality of our inspection report. A representative on the phone asked for our inspection report, so we sent it. In the inspection report the AC service provider, HVAC certified, reported that the AC passed all tests and was working great. They denied our claim because of something on the closing inspection report, but they should not have requested the inspection report, as stated in our contract, anytime after 30 days. It had been 34 days.

My advice to you, if you were considering purchasing this warranty is to absolutely NOT do that. Save your money up and plan for things to break, and have the money put aside. This home warranty was an actual con, and unfortunately, they got us. We did our due diligence by having a home inspection and the AC unit inspected by a licensed HVAC contractor. ARW wanted to deny it due to what a glorified handyman said over a license contractor.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Sharlene was very nice and made the call very easy to communicate. I would recommend families and friends. Customer service was great. She was able to schedule my payment for tomorrow and specified that the payment will be deducted early the next morning. Thank you.

Twana,

We are so glad that we had the opportunity to work with you, and that Sharlene could be of remarkable assistance to you throughout your visit! We are so appreciative of your kind recommendation.

ARW Home

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I am grateful to have spoken to the representative for my issues. They were very knowledgeable and understood my problem. Sorry I took so long to take advantage of using my warranty. Had it not been a call from you I’d still be hesitating. Thank you so much for the attention and your promptness.

Hi Brenda,

We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us. Our staffs always aim to provide excellent customer service. Please do not hesitate to reach out should any future need arise as we are always happy to assist.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Not pleased with service or promises that was made. Wasn't withheld.. Agreement that was made was kept. When trying to get all the correct person and department was given the run around and transferred to different representative without getting the problem fix.

Hazel,

We are sad to see that our level of service has fallen short of your expectations. The team is investigating this further to learn more about what happened. If you are willing, please send us a direct message with any details from the claim such as claim number, approximate date of claim placed, etc. so we can initiate a full review. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Sharlene was wonderful. Thank you for the help, took care of my bill and solved my issues. Thank you for resolving my problem in a very efficient manner. I don’t know how express how very professional Sharlene was, made sure my house was covered.

Laura,

We are overjoyed to hear that Franchesca handled your problem efficiently. She will be thrilled to have earned your wonderful review!

American Residential Warranty Company Information