4.61/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Residential Warranty provides homeowners with service contracts that cover repairs or replacements. We have partnered with The Warranty Group to ensure outstanding coverage and customizable home protection.

We know how important it is to have your appliances, electronics and systems covered in case something happens. American Residential Warranty has four home warranty plans and a three-in-one bundle to fit all your needs. Call us today to learn more!

American Residential Warranty Video
American Residential Warranty Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Residential Warranty offers nationwide coverage and ample protection for your home. While there are some limited caps, ARW provides coverage for items many home warranties do not plus flexible contract terms.

PROS

• Select your contractor
  • Electronics plan available
  • Nationwide coverage
  • Long-term contract not required

CONS

• Some systems have limited caps
  • Homeowner is responsible for contacting approved contractor

Top American Residential Warranty Reviews

04/09/2019

Could not have asked for a more comfortable, seamless and efficient experience. More proof that ARW was a very wise choice and a sound investment. From the courtesy of the ARW representative to the service provided, it gives me all the more confidence in ARW should I need help in the future.

04/15/2019

When I called in after having trouble with my stove ARW responded with no problem. They were so great. I stared recommended people to join. It's well worth it. The monthly payments are affordable especially when repairs can be so costly. Get it and you won't regret it!

American Residential Warranty plans

American Residential Warranty is a national company that serves customers in all 50 states. The company offers a full range of products, including home warranty plans, electronics protection plans and home security systems. Homeowners can choose from the following plans to best fit their needs.

• Heating and Cooling: Covers three major home systems.
  • Kitchen Plus: Covers major kitchen appliances, plus your electrical system
  • Platinum: Covers major appliances, plus three major home systems.
  • Platinum Premier: The most popular and comprehensive plan ARW offers, covering 17 major appliances and systems.
  • 4-in-1 Bundle: Covers all appliances and systems covered under Platinum Premier, plus extended coverage, sewer and water line coverage and electronics protection.

American Residential Warranty cost

The average cost for American Residential Warranty is between $36–$55/month depending on the plan you select. In addition to the regular monthly fee, customers will pay a one-time $39 enrollment fee regardless of the plan they choose.

Their most popular plan, Platinum Premier, runs $54.99. This is on the higher end of typical home warranty costs, which generally range from $30–$60/month.

American Residential Warranty has flexible payment plans, and customers can choose whether they’d like to pay annually, quarterly or monthly. American Residential Warranty’s service fees run $55 per visit, which is one of the lowest fees we’ve seen in the industry.

PlanAverage Monthly Cost
Heating and Cooling$35.99
Kitchen Plus$29.99
Platinum$46.99
Platinum Premier$54.99
4-in-1 Bundle$114.99

American Residential Warranty coverage

The Platinum Premier package from American Residential Warranty is their most popular plan and covers the following items

Covered appliances:

• Pool/spa

1070 American Residential Warranty Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

My wife contacted ARW because the dishwasher would not run and our previous tenant told us it was not draining properly. When we came back to the house, the dishwasher would not run. ARW sent a plumber within 48 hours and he determined that the sump, heater element, and drain pump were all broken and needed to be replaced. We had originally asked that the dishwasher be replaced since so many parts had to be replaced - but ARW said it was more cost effective to replace the parts and see if it worked first. The plumber returned and was fantastic - he had all the parts replaced and the dishwasher is running like new. I wanted to thank the Corporate Office rep (J.R.) who helped us coordinate the Claim since ARW is rarely able to find our account, but corporate office is always able to locate our account.

Hello Anthony,

Thank you for the kind review. We are pleased to hear that you have been satisfied with our services. Please do not hesitate to reach out should any future need arise as we are always happy to assist. We look forward to continuing to provide services for your home warranty needs.

American Residential Warranty

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I really would recommend American Residential Warranty Company to anyone I know who is need of this type of service for their home. As a matter of fact, I have recommended them to my family and friends already. I chose them due to the fact that my brother was already a client and was quite happy with them so it was a no-brained for me to give them a try and have been very happy I have done so.

My last service event was my air conditioner, which was having issues during 90 degree weather, of course, and it was taken care of to my satisfaction all for the cost of my deductible only; because you know these things always happen when you just don’t have the spare money, but the deductible is usually pretty easy to come up with. In short, I definitely recommend American Residential Warranty for their response time, customer service on the phone and if there is any issues that do come up, they are very helpful and friendly in taking care of it.

Hello Karen,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have no long wait when calling in for a problem to be fix. When the company they recommend comes out, they do their job professionally. All I pay is my fee for coming out and I do not have to put out extra money. The company that comes out does their work right the first time which last for years.

Hi Betty ,

Thank you for the kind review. We are pleased to hear that your plumbing issue was resolved. If there's anything that we could do, please let us know. We look forward to continuing to provide warranty protection for your home.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

My refrigerator went out the day before Christmas Eve. The repair service that American Residential used was not able to see me before the holiday only to find out after I paid the deductible, so I had to find a repair service that could see me immediately. Needless to say, my refrigerator was repaired before the holiday. I had to speak with 5 different operators and 1 1/2 on the phone before I received the confirmation that my email was received with my receipts to get a refund for the service that I paid for.

Kim,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about the experience you had with American Residential Warranty. We are sorry we were unable to get your fridge serviced on Christmas eve, but we are glad to hear you were able to use the out of network option to be reimbursed for the repair you had done on your own. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to give us call and we look forward to continuing to serve all of your home warranty needs.
Best regards,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

This was my first experience with this company. I have had American home Shield for many years. Due to many problems with that company I had been shopping around and shows American Residential due to their good reviews. My thermostat in my home was broken and initially and service provider and they gave me did not cover in my area. I called back and they said they would have to research and see if they could find someone for me to use. Two days later they informed me that they had no provider that they contracted with in my area and that I could contact your provider of my choice and have the repair done out of pocket after which they would reimburse me.

The whole thing was somewhat confusing but I spoke with a lovely young man, Eric **, who gave me his direct contact information. This man was extremely helpful with me on each occasion that I called. I had the repair done and the thermostat was fixed. I sent them a copy of the bill and again waiting to hear back but did not after several days. Once again when I called Mr. ** he assisted me immediately and made sure that I was reimbursed as promised. I was not very happy that there was no service provider in my area as I do not live in a rural or remote location. The customer service that I received from Mr. ** was exceptional and it is for this reason that I was left being satisfied with my experience. I should not have had to pay anything beyond that my service fee out of pocket however seeing as how I am being reimbursed I am satisfied.

Hi Heather,

Thank you for taking the time to share valuable feedback about the experience you had with American Residential Warranty. We have a great team of customer care representatives and we appreciate you acknowledging their hard work.

We are sorry about the lack of a readily available technician for the issue with the thermostat. This does happen from time to time and we are working on some upgrades to our contractor network to ensure all of our customer have good access to in-network, qualified technicians.
If there is anything else we can help you with, please give us a call and we look forward to continuing to serve all of your home warranty needs.
Best regards,

American Residential Warranty

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Residential Warranty?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

In November we called American Residential Warranty because our bathroom pipes kept clogging up, they sent a very nice young man to our home. He was courteous, quick, and very efficient. The young man was even kind enough to take all of his trash with him instead of leaving it in my trash can.

Hello Cynthia,

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I was very pleased the the service I received from American Residential. I called to file a claim and the same week a repair guy out to see if the appliance was repairable. I would definitely refer a friend to this company.

Hello Latisha,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Our hot water heater had stopped working - our initial transaction with ARW did not go so well - first they could not find our account. Then, after a few weeks of trying to resolve the issue - J.R. from the corporate office got involved with the claims department. He found our account number that claims said did not exist (even though we paid our bill each month), then he helped get expedited service to get a plumber out to our location to troubleshoot the system. Even though it took a few weeks to get things moving - with J.R.'s help, we were able to get through the process and we have a working water heater now. Thanks for your help and sticking with us J.R. - it is good to have hot water back on.

Hello Surenity,

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I saw the ad on TV and called to inquire and the person I spoke was very knowledgeable and was very helpful in helping me make the decision on which warranties were best for me. I have recommended to two of my friends to call and get the protection that would suit their needs.

Hello Patricia,

Sincerely, American Residential Warranty

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Air conditioning system stopped working. It was the beginning of summer. American Residential helped pay towards the cost of a new system. They came out within a few days. Technician was honest and dependable. He recommended several different units and was honest about their reliability and differences. Service was great.

Hello Robert,

Sincerely, American Residential Warranty

American Residential Warranty coverage exclusions

American Residential Warranty does not include coverage for known pre-existing conditions, cosmetic damage or damage due to misuse or abuse of covered items.

The warranty doesn’t cover costs associated with refinishing walls torn down to obtain access to encased items like ductwork or plumbing, rust and corrosion, or costs to bring items up to code.

These exclusions are all standard for home warranty contracts. You can find a full list of exclusions for your home state via American Residential Warranty's sample contract.

American Residential Warranty coverage limits

American Residential Warranty only specifies coverage limits for their optional (a la carte) items. These maximums range from $500–$2,500 per item.

ItemAmerican Residential’s coverage limi
Plumbing advantage$500
Well pump system$1,000

American Residential Warranty claims

How to request service from American Residential Warranty:

1. Submit your claim by contacting ARW online or over the phone.
  2. ARW will assign a service provider to your claim and give you their contact information.
  3. You will call the service provider to schedule your service.
  4. A technician will diagnose and make the repair.
  5. You will pay your service call fee ($55).

Service recall period: ARW guarantees all work for 30 days on labor and 60 days on parts. In the event a repair fails within this period, ARW will send a technician to make additional repairs at no extra cost/service call fee.

Emergency service: Under normal conditions, ARW will try to get a technician to your home within 48 hours to make any necessary repairs. If your situation is deemed an emergency, they will make every attempt to rush the service to occur within 24 hours.

American Residential Warranty contractors: American Residential Warranty gives customers the option to use an ARW approved technician or pick their own contractors, unlike many other companies that only let customers use affiliated technicians. One benefit of going with an ARW approved provider is they are pre-screened by the company.

American Residential Warranty FAQ

Can I choose my own service provider for repairs?
Yes. You’ll need to let the claims representative know in advance, and your selected technician will have to call American Residential Warranty for prior authorization before starting work.
Can I get an American Residential Warranty without signing a long-term contract?
Yes. ARW does not require long-term contracts. Monthly, quarterly and annual terms are available.
Is there a cancellation fee for American Residential Warranty?
No. There are no cancellation fees for monthly, quarterly or annual term agreements. Cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. All refunds will be made by ARW within 30 days of cancelling. If the refund takes longer to process than 30 days, ARW will add 10 percent to your refund.

Is American Residential Warranty worth it?

American Residential Warranty makes it easy for homeowners by allowing them to bundle protection plans and even choose their own service contractors. There’s a 30-day waiting period after you buy an American Residential Warranty plan, but this is standard to most home warranty service providers. You can choose add-ons across many home-repair categories for a fully customized plan.

With their flexible plans, including a month-to-month plan, American Residential Warranty may be particularly appealing to those opposed to long-term contracts.

American Residential Warranty Company Information