Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes
1.33/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

American Home Guardian Reviews

Original review: May 14, 2019

I recently switched from another warranty company (3 years) to this scam! American Home Guardian or AHG Home Warranty. They will NOT cover any repairs using your deductible only. They will find a way to charge the homeowner and/or deny the repair. My recent experience was a nightmare. We paid the $65 "service charge" "deductible" for a broken garage door spring. Without the warranty, the cost to repair was $250 per another contractor. AHG charged me $900 and their maximum benefit is $400, costing me $500 (plus $65 deductible) for a total of $565! OUTRAGEOUS!! And, now will not respond to my emails or calls. I am filing a complaint with BBB too. Please trust the reviews and go with another warranty company.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I called for a service of my HVAC because the unit was not cooling properly. The AC tech showed up to my house and determined that the unit has other issues with it. We determined after a thorough investigation that the coils in my AC unit were faulty and not allowing proper circulation within the unit, thus creating the pipes to freeze. Tech told me that he would need to get authorization from AHG to fix the issue because the cost could be in excess of $600 to repair and doesn't have authorization from AHG to perform that amount of work. I understand the checks and balances but there needs to be someone on call to answer these questions and concerns any time a contractor calls into the service center.

I am disappointed with this service because it is summer in Texas and today's high was 95 degrees. I have a 6 month old baby that is very irritable and fussy because of the temperature in the house. Thus resulting in a heat related visit to the urgent care that evening. Waiting now until Monday to address this issue one way or the other is an unacceptable use of my warranty. At the end of the day, AHG told me that my unit was not covered under my contract. These guys know how to avoid paying for anything. This is my second service call with them and both times it has been a nightmare. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Run as fast as you can from American Home Guardian, Inc. All this company wants is your money and knows all the tricks to get out of providing anything in return. I have never dealt with a more dishonest company in my life. When I tried to order my HVAC seasonal check up, I was told to call back the following month. I called back the following month and was told that I did not have a signed contract. At this point, I was so frustrated that I couldn't get service on something that wasn't broke and could only imagine how difficult it would be IF something actually needed to be fixed.

Since their representative told me I didn't have a signed contract and I had never received any services, I opted to request a refund and not deal with this shady company. I sent a certified letter requesting a full refund. There was absolutely no communication from AHG. Instead of refunding the $540 paid, they sent $139.44 which was totally unacceptable. I returned the check certified mail requesting a full refund or to honor the remainder of the contract. That was two months ago. I called AHG yesterday and was advised that I have no home warranty and they have ALL my money!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I called to report a malfunctioning appliance over a week ago. I have called 3 times and just get a promise that someone will contact me the next day. So far nothing. This is not what was promised in writing and verbally when they wanted a contract! Very unprofessional behavior by claims people.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

My air conditioner went out on a Friday early afternoon in 115 degree heat. After reporting the problem I wasn't hearing back from anyone. Who knew they shut down for the weekend at 5? I called back and got an answering service. They told me I could look online to see the status of my claim. I did and found that they had assigned a contractor to my claim. I then called them to find out when they would be coming out and found out they did not even service my area. Even if they did they could not get out there until Thursday. 6 days later! Unbelievable.

I called back to say this was an emergency and something had to be done. I was told to call a repair service myself and I would get reimbursed. I found someone to come out the next day but due to the fact that it was a Saturday it would cost more money. It was expensive but I had no choice. I filed a claim for reimbursement and per the contract they paid me $77. Parts and Labor. Are you kidding me? What a joke. Do not do business with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Guardian?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

We have been AHG customers for over five years and never had a major claim until last week when the AC died. They sent out a tech -- a day and a half after we called -- despite their contractual commitment to 24 hours for cooling (we live in Texas). The tech determined that the compressor was dead and said he would have his "supervisor" contact me to discuss the options. What I got was a call from the sales department who wanted to sell me a new AC system.

I contacted AHG and asked what they were going to do. They told me that they hadn't received the report from the AC company. So I called the AC company and they said they were "working on it". Finally, six days with no AC in the Texas summer, I got a response from AHG. Their solution was unacceptable and I had to settle for a paltry payout. When they tell you that they will prevent major expense for an AC failure, they are lying. Moreover, they have no sense of urgency. They left two 70+ years old people without AC for nearly a week in the Texas summer! Now I have to write them a letter to cancel. If you want to buy a warranty, choose someone else.

Original review: March 18, 2017

My garage door would not open. I called AHG who sent a tech out to repair it. He disconnected the electrical cord, replaced it and the door worked for two days. I went to take my wife to work morning of the third day. Same problem. I disconnected and reconnected. It worked, day five again the same problem. I called AHG. Have not heard from them. Contract states I have 90 days to not have the same problem or they will send another tech without additional charge. If this is the way I get treated over an item that cost less than $200 what would they do if it was an A/C. I am done. Just need to figure how to cancel auto pay so I can move to a company that is worthy of my business.

Original review: July 16, 2016

We had a new a/c and furnace installed by One Hour Air Conditioning and Heating, Sierra Vista, AZ contracted by American Home Guardian. We and One Hour were told AHG would pay $5,000. and we were liable for @3,365.00 for a total of $8365.00. The work was done on 4/27/16. The contract was drawn up and the AHG was contracted again where it was confirmed. I paid my $3,365.00 to One Hour, signed the contract and given all the paperwork. Today, July 15, 2016 we got a call from AHG saying, we need another $1,000 plus, because our policy doesn't cover all that. What??? My original policy says, it does cover up to $5,000. I feel we have closed our part of the deal and owe no more. They are reneging on their contract.

Original review: July 1, 2016

Terrible service. Had a seasonal check on my account unit, 2 months later AC overheated due to tech not securing fan in place with screws. Due to outage I was left without air in Phoenix when it was 105 degrees due to shotty work from a company AHG CONTRACTED. AHG did not take any responsibility for this and gave nothing but attitude which came from a manager named Alisia. Unethical company!!!

Original review: May 14, 2016

Worst company I've EVER dealt with. This company is completely unethical and fraudulent. Do not give them your money or trust. They approved (multiple times) a repair for our oven in February and when I filed a complaint with the BBB a month later for another misrepresentation issue, the next day they said they no longer covered the oven repair back in February and issued me with an invoice of over $700 in new charges. Not only that but one of their contractors tried selling us on a new $2000 pool/spa heater when we later found nothing was wrong with it.

I have filed a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General and their response was once again full of lies claiming that my call was for a contractor referral only. I immediately canceled my contract and they took it upon themselves to deduct the oven repair charges out of my refund check. This company is so awful. We have paid them over $1100 for our warranty services, and not only did they refuse to repair covered items, but after we canceled our contract we received a refund check for $282 for barely 3 months of coverage. This company is a complete scam!

American Home Guardian Company Information