American Home Guardian

Compare Home Warranties, Service Plans

Research top Home Warranties, Service Plans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We had a new a/c and furnace installed by One Hour Air Conditioning and Heating, Sierra Vista, AZ contracted by American Home Guardian. We and One Hour were told AHG would pay $5,000. and we were liable for @3,365.00 for a total of $8365.00. The work was done on 4/27/16. The contract was drawn up and the AHG was contracted again where it was confirmed. I paid my $3,365.00 to One Hour, signed the contract and given all the paperwork. Today, July 15, 2016 we got a call from AHG saying, we need another $1,000 plus, because our policy doesn't cover all that. What??? My original policy says, it does cover up to $5,000. I feel we have closed our part of the deal and owe no more. They are reneging on their contract.

Terrible service. Had a seasonal check on my account unit, 2 months later AC overheated due to tech not securing fan in place with screws. Due to outage I was left without air in Phoenix when it was 105 degrees due to shotty work from a company AHG CONTRACTED. AHG did not take any responsibility for this and gave nothing but attitude which came from a manager named Alisia. Unethical company!!!

Worst company I've EVER dealt with. This company is completely unethical and fraudulent. Do not give them your money or trust. They approved (multiple times) a repair for our oven in February and when I filed a complaint with the BBB a month later for another misrepresentation issue, the next day they said they no longer covered the oven repair back in February and issued me with an invoice of over $700 in new charges. Not only that but one of their contractors tried selling us on a new $2000 pool/spa heater when we later found nothing was wrong with it.

I have filed a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General and their response was once again full of lies claiming that my call was for a contractor referral only. I immediately canceled my contract and they took it upon themselves to deduct the oven repair charges out of my refund check. This company is so awful. We have paid them over $1100 for our warranty services, and not only did they refuse to repair covered items, but after we canceled our contract we received a refund check for $282 for barely 3 months of coverage. This company is a complete scam!

I submitted a claim for my water last night and received an email confirmation at 6:22 AM. They also called to let me know they were on their way. Less than 24 hours and I have a new water heater. Impressed!

My wife & I remodeled our kitchen a little over two years ago. We purchased all Kenmore Elite Appliances. They have all been working fine, until about two weeks my wife noticed water running out from under the dishwasher. She called American Home Guardian and they sent a repairman out to diagnose the problem. The repairman stated that drain pump and motor needed to be replaced. American Home Guardian would not approve the repair, and said it exceeded the limit to repair the dishwasher.

They gave me five options, in which none of them are even close to what we paid for our current dishwasher. Option 1. Replace with Kenmore Model #22-15112 - retails for around $349. Option 2. Sears Gift Card for $297. Option 3. Home Deport Gift Card for $283. Option 4. Lowe's Gift Card for $283. Option 5. CBO Gift Card for $283 (I am not familiar with CBO). I thought these warranty companies were suppose to replace with like item if not repairable. We even purchased the Guardian Plus Plan so we'd have better coverage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Guardian?

American Home Guardian does not stand behind the work of its subcontractors. The subcontractor assigned by AHG to repair my oven broke my oven and then charged me $385 to fix the problem. AHG refused to reimburse me, saying the damage done by THEIR CONTRACTOR was not covered under my policy. I am now pursuing legal means of recovery against AHG and the subcontractor, if I can ever find out his last name. He refused to give me that information and so did AHG. This is truly a disreputable company with questionable business practices. If you buy a policy from them, you'll have no one to blame for your mistake except yourself. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

UPDATED ON 09/24/2015: In accordance with the instructions given to me on the phone by Lisa ** of American Home Guardian, I mailed a certified letter to American Home Guardian notifying them that I was cancelling my home warranty insurance policy at once. Ms.** advised me that I would receive a refund within 45 days for the unused portion of my premium, which amounted to approximately $200. After 8 weeks with no refund arriving, I sent an email message to Ms.** asking when I could expect to receive my refund on the unused portion of my premium, now past due. I received no response to my email.

I have filed a complaint with John McCormick, the commissioner of the Arizona Department of Insurance, requesting the Insurance Department's assistance to recover my refund. When I spoke with John approximately 4 weeks ago, he promised me that the Arizona Department of Insurance would assist me with recovering my refund if American Home Guardian didn't voluntarily send it, which, of course, they have not. Another glaring example of American Home Guardian's unethical and downright dishonest business practices, in live Technicolor! How does the owner, Chad Forbush, and his paid crony, Lisa **, sleep at night, knowing they are deliberately and intentionally ripping off customers who once trusted them until that trust was violated with the greed and perfidy of American Home Guardian, Inc.? Save yourself a lot of unnecessary grief and avoid AHG as if it were Typhoid Mary. These guys are VERY BAD NEWS.

I have an over the range microwave that stopped working. I called AHG on a Friday at 2pm to request service. Never got a call & I had to call them to schedule on Monday. Was charged $54 to have the guy come out to tell me it can't be fixed. Got $109 towards a new one. So basically they gave me $50 to buy a new one. New ones comparable to mine run $500 + not including installation and delivery. I called the Manager Javier twice with AHG and left messages both times. That was 2 weeks ago & I still haven't heard back. So, I sent an email through their website a week ago, and still no response. In the meantime I had to suck it up and purchase a new microwave with the pathetic $50 they gave me. I thought warranty companies are supposed to give you money for a comparable item. They didn't do that in addition to nobody getting back to me. I'll be cancelling my contract with them at renewal time.

An absolutely terrible company - I wouldn't even recommend them to someone I hated, they are that bad!! I would give this company a negative rating if I could - they don't even rate a zero. I'm not sure where to even begin - this company is so bad in every aspect. I called them concerning a plumbing issue and because I just bought the house a month ago, they wanted a copy of the home inspection report so I sent the summary. That wasn't good enough. So instead of them just asking me for the full report, they sent an email to the home inspector with the string of emails that had transpired between me and AHG. He wrote back to them and told them flat out he's never seen such unprofessional behavior and, as a professional home inspector, he would be sure to tell his clients to stay away from AHG at all cost.

The plumber they sent said he couldn't fix the problem, he didn't have the equipment needed. He said he snaked the line as much as he could and that was it. He said a hydraulic pump (or something like that) was needed. I called a few plumbing companies and they said that is ONLY used for commercial buildings as it would blow out residential plumbing lines.

Skip two days later and the plumbing issue got worse after the plumber was there! Before, some sewage back up was occurring in a guest shower. Now not only is the shower filled with sewage but every toilet is backed up. I don't know what he did but not only did he NOT fix this issue, I'm concerned that he actually made it worse. So I called AHG today (Saturday) and finally got through after being on hold for a long time and after being disconnected twice. The person I spoke with said they would have to call the plumber.

I asked them to call me back to give me an update - whether or not they were able to reach the plumber or not. That was almost 5 HOURS AGO!!! And this is for an emergency service call since no plumbing whatsoever is working in the house. I'm glad I went with my instincts and had contacted a reliable plumbing service soon after I called them. They will have a plumber out shortly to see what the problem is and fix it if they can today.

I'm cancelling my contract with AHG and filing a complaint with the BBB first thing Monday. This company should not be in business! Buyer definitely beware!!! They do nothing but cause you additional stress and grief in addition to the issue you are already dealing with.

****Update***** Just as I had suspected. The plumber sent by AHG was incompetent and actually made the situation worse. Instead of snaking the line properly, all he did was push the stuff towards the main line and clogged multiple lines by doing so.

I bought my first home in June 2008. It was the usual process: contract, inspection, repairs, closing, and the house came with American Home Shield. For a whole year the house was great, everything worked. American Home Shield had decided to raise the premium for my home warranty the coming year and sent me letters of renewal, that was when I began my "homework" for a more affordable home warranty company with better reviews. I sent many emails to many home warranty companies in the area with the following information: (1) My home is 20+ years old. (2) I need coverage for repair and replacement for my at least HVAC, water heater, plumbing, electric, and unknown pre-existing condition and code violations since building codes change. (3) The conversation went like this: "Also, in your response you didn't mention anything about limits of coverage when it comes to anything needing replaced. Does it mean, for example, if an A/C system needs to be replaced and it costs $4000, AHG will pay for all of that rather than, like some companies, only cover $1500 and let the customer pay the rest, plus the service call fee?" And their reply was this: "Our limits meet or exceed the highest in the industry. We go up to $5,000 per HVAC unit. I don't know anyone who goes that high."

So in June 2009, I switched my home warranty from AHS to AHG without interruption. November 2009, I noticed that my central heat was not heating my house like it did last winter, so I called in for service. AHG sent a technician to my house about a week later. The technician said that the heat exchanger was leaking and was unsafe to operate, and since it's an old unit, he quoted a $1700 replacement. AHG called me a few days later and told me they will not pay for the replacement, but they will give me a $900 check. The phone conversation went something like this (to the best of my recollection, of course):

Me: “Is this $900 for just the heating? For example, if I use the $900 for replacing my furnace, I pay the rest, then what happens when my cooling breaks down this coming summer?” AHG: “The $900 is for the entire system.” Me: ”The entire system like, the entire heating system? Or the entire a/c and heating system?” AHG: “The entire system, everything.”

I think I was on the verge of tears from the shock and frustration. Well, as any reasonable person knows, to replace the entire system as they have implied, will cost at least $5000. Naturally, I did not accept it and told them I was told differently by the person who signed me up, and they said, "Send us the email." That same day I sent them the entire log of email exchanges, and got a response from their company president, who told me this: "When you got your contract in the mail, you also received a letter that asked you to read and understand your contract. It has been our pleasure assisting you." Unsigned. (I didn't know he was the company president until I looked up the company profile online.) He also pointed out in the contract that says everything said before the contract do not count. Goodness! So the company has the policy to warrant ** (pardon me) in order to fish customers? It sounds more like bait and switch if not deceptive trade practice. Knowing this isn't good, I filed a complaint against AHG at the Better Business Bureau. As a BBB rule, companies are given 30 days to respond to a complaint, with one reminder about 2 weeks into the 30 days if no response is received. AHG did not initiate any contact with me nor did they respond to the BBB for the whole duration.

A couple of days after that given 30 days, after BBB contacted me and pretty much said they couldn't do anything since the company didn't reply, and was probably ready to lower the company's A- rating, I wrote an email to the company's president again asking for the status of my claim and why I've been ignored for 30 days, I got some pretty dirty responses. Here are the highlights: "I do not see anywhere in your emails that you advised AHG of the age of your heating/cooling system, only the age of your home." Even though I never mentioned anything about anything ever having been replaced either." I need to be 100% clear that at no time has AHG ignored you as you state below. This is simply not true and very questionable as to why/how you could make such an outlandish accusation." They didn't reply to my BBB complaint for a whole month! "Because this issue has lingered for so long, I am going to give you until December 29, 2009. If no decision is made, AHG will mail you a $900.00 check and no further actions will be taken by AHG related to this service request." They made me wait for a whole month in the cold. Well, after I wrote back and told them I couldn't accept this since I was exploring my options, in a couple more days, I got a message from the BBB saying that the company has responded, and it was merely the email reply above from them. The president implied to BBB that they didn't ignore me, though they didn't tell the BBB that I had to contact them first after the 30-day wait, nor did they say to BBB that I had refused the "deadline" they tried to impose. I wrote a response to BBB explaining that AHG never asked me about the age of my units, and I never said anything was ever replaced, and per AHG contract, they could have refused the issuance of contract to me at that time, but they didn't.

Well, AHG responded saying that the entire "age conversation" does not apply (even though he explicitly said I didn't tell him the age of my units) since they cover everything no matter how old, but simply that they get to decide the "value" of the items. For example, even though in their contract it says in case of replacement, they'll replace with builder grade items, he says they had decided that my old units aren't worth anything, so by that "policy" they don't need to pay for it. Furthermore, the president of the company said: "On the estimate, the contractor very clearly states that the heater never worked. She knew this because she has lived in the house for over a year." Well, I have my gas bill as well as that technician's initial invoice/report that simply said my heat exchanger is broken and is unsafe to operate; he never said that it never worked. At least he never did say that in my face. Otherwise, I'd have showed him my gas bill and mentioned the fact that the last home warranty company, American Home Shield, never got a service request from me last winter.

He also began a string of nasty implications: "The fact that we have offered her anything should be viewed as a very positive statement, I am sure you and she agrees." Wow! I can't believe he said that without proof. That's gutsy. Of course he offered me something, I paid for a warranty with them! Why else would I buy warranty if I expect to have nothing done for me when something breaks down? Of course, I sent a reply to BBB with the photos and documentation of my gas bill and what the technician wrote so that BBB has the record straight. They can check with American Home Shield if they want to verify that I had no problems with my house at the time of the "switch." Unfortunately, at this moment, BBB has not yet changed their rating and has determined this is beyond purview. I'm just frustrated because it's almost two months now. I'm freezing in my house and I do worry about the plumbing that may burst if I continue to have no heat in the house as weather gets colder. I also worry I am going to get sick from the cold as well as the mental stress this is causing me. At the same time, I just don't believe a company should be allowed to lie their way to get customers.

American Home Guardian Company Profile