3.62/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Looking for a home warranty company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

American Home Guard

American Home Guard has fast and reliable claims services that will ensure you and your family’s appliance or system replacement/repairs are taken care of.

American Home Guard has three different service plans that can be tailored to fit your specific needs.

As an industry leader they provide the most comprehensive and flexible warranty on the market and offer a full 30-day Money Back Guarantee.

Call them toll free today for a free quote make sure you ask about the senior citizens, military and veteran discounts!

Find out more Find out more
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 28, 2017

183 American Home Guard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

In my experience, American Home Guard Salesman use false statements about what is covered to sell warranties. Company management simply relies on the fine print of the warranty to refuse coverage of just about everything. Although salesman make statements in complete conflict with their contracts to sell the warranty. Management is unconcerned. AHG advertises as a 5 star warranty provider and top rated but does not disclose who and where these rating come from. In fact this company is rated (F) by the Better Business Bureau IMO, there are no such rating for this company which amounts to false and misleading advertising which is consistent with the endorsed fraudulent sales practices of their employees.

When an issue arises, the company cannot provide a contractor to do the work so they ask that the client provide their own contractor. AHG claims to be nationwide but has only been in business 3 years and cannot support the customers they have. When work is complete, the company refuses to service additional problems. The appliance fixed because the original work was not done by their contractor. In fact AHG refuses to even send out a contractor to see what the new problem is even though the customer pays for the service call with a $60 service fee. They simply grill the customer over the phone as to the nature of the mechanical problem looking for a reason to deny coverage.

The customer service is terrible as it is clear that this company has built their business model around denying coverage so the employees are used to dealing irate customers. You can easily lose a work day getting transferred from person to person and do not dare raise your voice. Although AHG employees have mastered arguing, condescension and loud disrespectful tone, don't dare return such tone or they will hang up on you and never answer your calls again.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

AHG called our office 6/20/17 requesting service on a washing machine for one of their customers, stating that they were unable to find appliance repair contractors in Michigan. Our terms of C.O.D. and charges were explained to their agent, which they accepted and provided us with a credit card for payment. We went out the same day to service the washing machine. Our technician called AHG with the diagnosis and estimate for approval on the repair and was informed they would pay $150 only and we would need to collect the balance from their customer. In good faith, we collected the deductible from their customer and ordered parts needed for repair.

On 6/24/17 we returned with the parts to complete the repair. The customer paid us their balance and when we processed the AHG credit card for the $150, it was declined. We called AHG but had to leave a message with the answering service since they are not open for business on Saturday. When calling AHG on 6/26, Stephanie in Client Services informed us we needed to email our invoice for payment, which we did. Called back on 6/27 unable to reach the Billing Dept due to call volume, so Jamie in Dispatch stated that their credit card was shut down due to fraudulent activity, he asked for our address and assured us a check would be sent out that day.

We called 7/7/17 to inform them that we did not receive their check and Eric said they would stop payment on it and reissue another check to our company that day, as they still do not have an active credit card to provide. Another call to AHG 7/20/17, Warren in the Billing Dept said a check was sent to us 7/12 and even gave a check number. At that time we let him know if we hadn't received payment by 7/21 we would be returning to their customer's home and removing our new parts off of their washer as we do not provide free service. Warren insisted that was illegal practice and assured us a manager from Billing would call us that afternoon - no call.

On 8/2/17 we put yet another call into Eric at AHG and left a voicemail message that if payment was not resolved by EOD 8/3/17, we would be forced to file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office - no return call was received. If it is standard practice of AHG to force contractors to chase them for payment, I strongly urge any other service companies that receive their calls to decline their requests. It has already cost our company more than the $150 due in time and calls to AHG for payment that will more than likely never be received.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

My wife and I were pleased with the service of American Home Guard when we called to report a needed repair for our freezer. American Home Guard could not find a local technician to service us promptly, so they immediately authorized us to bring in a local appliance repair company. As a result of this company's good service, we have renewed our warranty for a second year.

Original review: July 25, 2017

We purchased a home warranty from American Home Guard and their claim service was second to none. I submitted a claim by emailing them and a plumber came out the same day to take care of the issue. Their technicians were friendly and their service was excellent. Everything was easy, timely, and efficient with no hassles.

Original review: July 25, 2017

A few months back when I was getting a home warranty with American Home Guard I thought I wouldn’t need the extra coverage for my ice machine. However one of the nice salesman preferred I take it knowing that the summer months were coming up. In June my ice machine wouldn’t produce ice anymore and once I emailed them they came the next day to fix it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Guard?

Original review: July 24, 2017

Yesterday, my outlets gave up on me and I had no power in any of my outlets. I called up American Home Guard. They said they understood my concern and that they will send someone to fix it immediately. Not more than an hour later a electrician showed up and resolved my issue.

Original review: July 20, 2017

We have had an AHS warranty since June 2005. In May 2017 our AC unit heat pump failed. We have been on the phone in excess of 14 1/2 hours on hold with AHS trying to get this resolved. On 18 July the contractor came out to install a new 3 ton HVAC unit and the unit does not work. HS says this is no longer their problem and it's now a Manufacturing warranty problem. I contend that this is their problem until they furnish me a working unit. They are now telling me I must call the manufacturer. The technician says that the issue is more problematic to try to repair it than it is to just get a new outside condenser unit. Anybody have an attorney that works with the situation I would be happy to hear from because my next stop is a lawsuit.

It is 93° outside. It is 91° upstairs in the top part of my house and I am unable to use the upstairs of my house for over two months. I think I've been more than Reasonable in trying to resolve this amicably. Once this issue is resolved to my satisfaction I can guarantee we will be looking for a new home warranty service and I will absolutely deter anybody from going to American Home Shield for their warranty. If this is how they treat loyal customers who are always timely in their payments then I think I need to Go elsewhere.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I canceled my American Home Guard service contract on Feb 2, 2017 and was told that I would receive a refund. Literally 15 phone calls and 3 emails later, I still do not have the refund. I have been told several times that it was mailed, but I still have not received my refund (which I agreed I was due). This cannot be an ethical practice, I would warn everyone to not do business with American Home Guard.

Original review: July 10, 2017

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!! I called on 7/1/2017. They told me they would have someone at my house within 48 hours which I thought was great. But I heard nothing so I called on 7/5/17. They told me they would call me that same day. I told them to make sure they call my number as it is the primary number. But I did not get a call so I called back on 7/6/17. And they told me the same thing so I patiently waited again and called back on 7/7/17. They told me they called me on the 6th but they could not get a hold of me. I told them that I did not receive a call from them and that my shower head is leaking over 1 gallon a day. They told me that they were going to put it as a priority because of that. But it was Friday and where they are located it was already 5 o'clock. But that I might still get a call that day since it is such a big issue. But once again I received no call. No email. Nothing. I figured since it was the weekend I was going to let it go until Monday.

So I called today and asked to speak to the manager. He said he tried calling me on the 6th but used the secondary number even after I told them to specifically call my number. He then tells me that they apparently don't cover it and that they don't cover any shower head, valves, faucets, or anything like that. I asked why wouldn't they tell me that when I first called or at least call me back to tell me that. All he said was sorry... That is all after 10 days of trying to get a hold of them. He says sorry that doesn't help my situation at all. I am now afraid of something In my home going bad because I have no idea if they will decide not to cover it when it is convenient to them. I wish I didn't go with this warranty company and I hope nothing goes wrong in my house in the next year so I don't have to deal with their horrible customer service!!!

Original review: June 20, 2017

Worst experience I ever had. Unprofessional, horrible customer service, can't get through to anyone if needed, they don't do what they say. They took out more money from my account and I had a hard time getting it back only because I had proof. They hardly ever returned an email or call, claims cover almost nothing. Ended up spending more of my money, time and fixing my own repair with no help from them. Complete waste of money and time. They should not be trusted. Don't take my word for it. Call repair companies and ask them what they think of America Home Guard before spending your money. It will be worth the call. Good luck!

Original review: June 8, 2017

I called to sign up for a policy for my home on 5/26/2017. I was told I would receive an email with a copy of my policy. However, I did not receive it. After at least 6 phones calls over the course of a week I was assured the email was on its way. No one tells the truth at this company. As of 6/7/2017 I still have not received my policy. I sent an email to the company informing them I was cancelling my policy! If they can't send an email what makes me think I will be able to get service for my home. I also called my credit card company to make sure the charge on my account is reversed.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Paid $799. 45 days later needed service, waited over a month. Called appliance repair personally. Cost me over $700. AHG offered $150, but never sent money. I canceled, one month still no refund. Spoke with a Cheryl, Stephanie, Jim, Warren(?), and more. This is a ripoff.

Original review: May 27, 2017

To all the consumer that are looking for help with their household appliance and to add, added comfort and insurance, this is not the company for you... There are multi companies out there and you might be confusing this one with American Home Shield! Our recommendation is do your homework before signing anything with this company because unlike Veterans... They do NOT have your back! We have submitted three claim and we were denied for all just because at one point of the component it holds or water runs through, which in return, they says it LEAK and it not cover! From one consumer to another CONSUMER BEWARE! Look elsewhere for coverage.

Original review: May 13, 2017

I bought a policy with American Home Guard on 12/10/16. My Air conditioner broke and I called to file a claim. We were asked to give a description of the item which we did. We never received a response. We finally called in March inquiring about the claim. Apparently they do not have technicians and could not send anyone. After a series of complaints they called and told me that they will send a technician. No technician called or showed up. We followed again with phone calls. No technician. They offered to make things better when we threatened to cancel but still no services.

They told us to write an email to cancel the policy which we did on March 25, 2017. They never responded to the email. After another phone call and email, they sent us a cancellation acceptance email using some else's name. I questioned the email. They send another email apologizing about the name. Our air conditioner is still not repaired.

In May I spoke to a supervisor (Stephanie) who sounded like she is willing to resolve the issue. At the end of our conversation she promised to refund all our money and waive the fees. She also promised to look into the company associates to evaluate why this happened and correct it for future clients. This was ok.

On May 8, 2017, I received a cancellation request with a fine of $375.00. What shocked me is that we had this company for four months, they did not honor the contract by not sending a technician, they breached the contract, and then charged us a lot of money for cancelling. I will be calling the Department of Consumer Affairs to help us with this fraudulent company. If anyone else would like to call please do so to help many people who are going to fall into this scam. Very dangerous!!!

Original review: May 10, 2017

This company is nothing but trouble. I purchased this warranty, and they did all they could to avoid processing a claim. So I cancelled my policy - in Nov 2016. It's April 2017 and they haven't sent the refund.

Original review: May 6, 2017

American Home Guard's package deal seemed like a good deal for three years and they extended it. One of the things I really was interested in was that they told us that it was all inclusive. If the furnace breaks down, there's no cap so if it's $5,000, they'll fix it. I was on the phone for a long time with the rep because I wanted to make sure that there were no caps. I had Sears package before which had caps on it. But the rep treated me well on the phone and answered all my questions. I made the decision to have coverage on my house. If two systems go at once, I'm gonna have a problem. But so far, so good though I haven't had to use it. The material they have given me is great and hopefully, they'll live up to their word. The company has just extended the coverage and I'm wondering if they're gonna be taking $200 this month.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I purchased an older home so I decided to look into acquiring a home warranty. American Home Guard was the first one to return my call. I liked the cost and what they offered so I went with them. I've been with them since February. My interactions with their sales rep were all done over the phone. When I bought the policy, I spoke to someone then and I had a little trouble getting a copy of it. I spoke to someone a couple of times after that. All in all, I'm very pleased with the service that I got so far.

Original review: April 30, 2017

I’ve signed up for American Home Guard and so far, it's been fine and I've had no problems.

Original review: April 27, 2017

We have a rental house in Florida and we want to make sure things were covered. We researched and got American Home Guard. The representative told me everything about the warranty.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I was searching on the web and I came across American Home Guard and decided to go with them. I liked the offer that they offered me, with the discounts for being a veteran. However, I did one claim yesterday and I was on hold for 15 minutes. I had to leave a callback number and I have not received a callback yet from the claims center. In most other places I had, if you’re put on hold, they’ll give you a wait time whenever you call. You can expect 5 to 15 minutes rather than sitting on the phone waiting. They need to staff a few more people so a person’s not put on hold so long just to find out that they’re supposedly going to call you back.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I liked the price of the American Home Guard warranty as well as the price to be paid when they come out. And signing up with them was a great experience overall.

Original review: April 22, 2017

American Home Guard sucks. Every time that I want a claim, they couldn’t fix any of the problems so I closed the account. My fridge broke down one day but I didn’t know that I had to wait 30 days before the warranty takes effect. And the guy was very sarcastic and that's where it pissed me off even more. If he could’ve been understanding and explained it differently, I would’ve done it differently, too. I searched over the internet about their reputation and the customer service they provide and there’s a lot of negativity from them. It’s better to look for someone else.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I had American Home Shield and I got very disgusted with their service. We choose to always have a home warranty put in so I needed to replace them. I looked at American Home Guard's website and a representative called me and he is customer service quality. He was 80% of the reason why I chose to go with them. Moreover, American Home Guard was in the top range based on the Consumer Reports.

Original review: April 12, 2017

American Home Guard called me, insured my appliances and I paid them. I told them my address and they took a payment. Then they took another payment. I called them twice during that time and said, "I never got a contract with you." They said to me, "Oh, okay. We do it email." I said, "Well, it's not in my email. Send it to my email and slow mail."

Two or three months later, I needed service on an appliance. Suddenly they didn't service my area. I asked for a refund of my money. I really wanted my appliance service placed through. I said, "You have my address and had it for so long. And you took it when you gave me the contract and said you definitely do take it." And with that, they said, "No, that was an error.” I said, “But two other times you had the chance to turn around and know my address, since I gave it to you, if you don't service the area.” I asked for my money back. She told me she wouldn't give me my money back 'til I went online and cancelled the contract. I don't want to look like I cancelled the contract. Fact of the matter is, I didn't have a contract. But they dipped their little hand in my checking account twice for the payments. So, they owe me two.

I think it's a scam. I don't think there's any Guard. You think your home is insured and you just keep paying them. Generally, you don't need them. Then something comes up and then they tell you that was an error. There's no service.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I Googled home warranties and American Home Guard is on the list of 10 best. Their sales representative on the phone was very nice and excellent. Also, since I've got two units that's an owner-occupied rental, and with the discount, I was able to insure both units. All in all, the experience was excellent. I have recommended American Home Guard and gave their number to a friend of mine.

Original review: April 9, 2017

I’ve had American Home Guard for three weeks. The guy that I dealt with was good and very helpful. He was nice and answered my questions. The only thing is it took a little while getting the contract paperwork to me. It took four days.

Original review: April 8, 2017

We got American Home Guard for the house that we’re selling. Their sales rep gave me a good deal. I told them what I was doing and they sent me over to another division and gave me a decent price with three months extra. Overall, their service is good.

Original review: April 7, 2017

We had a home warranty with another company before and it made sense to have that type of security around the house. American Home Guard came up as the best company for me in a Google search. I talked to a guy on the phone to sign up. He called, took my information and told me what would benefit me best. I've discussed with my husband what would be best for us. We decided on the program that suited and benefited us and signed up. We included the pool in the coverage, military discounts and different stuff that factored into the process. We signed up for a one-year contract and we had the option to pay all at once at a discounted rate. That's what I wanted to do but we ended up paying for it monthly. Also, they're very prompt. I called them late one evening and the next morning, they were on it. They had everything fixed up and ready for me to sign. I had no problems with it and I'd recommend them.

Original review: April 6, 2017

American Home Guard's price is good and they are the least expensive. A service call is $45. They did include an additional part of the house that wasn't on the original policy. But sometimes you get what you pay for. And I was wondering of paying a little bit more. I'm trying to get a copy of my policy to see what it says and that's been a little difficult. When I called back, the guy was kind of snippy. I said, "I'm calling regarding getting a copy of my policy." He said, "Well, I show that we did send it to you. And you didn't sign the email on such date." I said, "I didn't sign it 'cause I responded back to you by email saying that there was nothing attached. Just send me in the mail. Forget all this." My policy is not in effect until I sign something. And they said you have to wait 30 days before starting anything. So, they're supposed to send it in the mail. I still haven’t received it. It's sketchy.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I had two home warranties and I was looking for a little bit of a cheaper co-pay because the two other ones that I was paying went up to $75. I went online, keyed in the 10 top home warranty providers and American Home Guard was one of them. The gentleman I spoke with from there who signed me up was quite knowledgeable and very kind. He listened to what I was looking for and he made it quite pleasant.

Everything was good but the only drawback that I have a problem with was their customer service. If you dial in to get service, it takes a while. I filed a claim with them and tried to describe what was wrong with my refrigerator. When I pushed the icemaker, the ice dropped down then the little sleeve wasn’t shutting. This was causing frost to go in my freezer. The rep told me that she'd put the claim in and they'll notify me if they were going to service me or not. I got an email confirmation, but nobody called me back to tell me that they weren’t going to service me. It wasn't covered under my plan so no one was ever coming out. This was probably weeks and weeks ago. The rep was very helpful but she should have followed up with me to make sure what the status was. I was a customer service rep and I would probably have done it within three days or 72 hours to see how it is.

When I called it in with my previous warranty company, they were on it within 24 hours. My other issue was when I went to their website it asked if I wanted a free quote. I had to go to the internet to get the 1-800 number because it would automatically push me to a quote. The rep told me to go on the internet and do things there with regard to my issues. I called the girl back and told her that I was not internet savvy and that I wanted to speak with somebody who can handle my concern. The other company I was with had really good customer service compared to that of American Home Guard. I thought about cancelling with American Home Guard but I thought I’d give it some more time because maybe it was just this one issue. American Home Guard is good but questionable. However, everybody needs a chance and I would still recommend them. There are always good service reps too.

American Home Guard Company Information