1.35/5

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

American Home Guard

American Home Guard has fast and reliable claims services that will ensure you and your family’s appliance or system replacement/repairs are taken care of.

American Home Guard has three different service plans that can be tailored to fit your specific needs.

As an industry leader they provide the most comprehensive and flexible warranty on the market and offer a full 30-day Money Back Guarantee.

Call them toll free today for a free quote make sure you ask about the senior citizens, military and veteran discounts!

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

232 American Home Guard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

After I bought my policy from American Home Guard. And paid $1,625 (5 years policy). They continue playing games with me. After waited 1 month for a plumber

and leaving so many messages with customer service. They found one plumber from NYC and drove 70 miles to come to me. They refused to pay him for the service, $450.00. They said to the plumber, "Send us an invoice so, we can send the check for you." When I called to ask. When the plumber is going to fix the leak, they told me the water leak is not covered by the policy. Big scam. When I ask for refund for my money, they cancel my policy and I lost 50 percent of my money for a policy lasted 4 month. I paid $1625.00 for 5 years policy. My advice to everyone. Do not waste your time and your money. Get your own plumber.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

American Home Guard has closed its business owing me a refund, plus a year of service. If you’re on the same boat, contact the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s office 800-441-2555 and file a complaint. Luckily we may be refunded what’s due to us.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

This company is now out of business. Their website is down and the phone number does not work. They sent me a refund check that bounced. I have contacted the Attorney General office of my state and Pennsylvania.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

As a previous reviewer stated this company is a scam. I filed a claim which they responded to in an acceptable time frame but the contractor missed the appointments. After a few tries they finally the let me find my own contractor which I did and submitted the invoice to them which they accepted. They said I would receive my reimbursement within 30 days, which was May 2nd. I have not received my reimbursement and receive no call backs from multiple voicemails and emails. As of yesterday I found that their phone number appears to be disconnected and their website is down and domain name has been purchased by a marketing firm. So it looks like they’re closed and I’m screwed.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

This company is not real!! The phone number is disconnected and emails do not go through. I just filed a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau and am trying to get a refund. Do not use this fraudulent company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Guard?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I filed a claim 3 months ago. They lost my claim twice. Finally they authorized me to find my own repairmen and they would reimburse me. I have sent 4 emails, left 5 voicemails over the past 3 weeks and no response. They NEVER pick up their phone. I have contacted the California Department of insurance (where I live) The Pennsylvania Depart of Insurance (where they are supposed to be) and the Better Business Bureau. Totally unprofessional. Recommend strongly you AVOID!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

FRAUD ALERT! American Home Guard is a scam company! They are not licensed or registered to sell home warranties in any state. Not even their own state in which they are supposed to be located. They do not have an insurance underwriter and therefore never intend to financially cover the warranties they sell. They fraudulently take people’s money, but reject every claim for nonsensical reasons. They route calls back to your own number or send calls to vm where you will never get a callback. I have reported this company to the Insurance Commission who has investigated and forwarded the investigation to the FBI fraud department.

Before you purchase any insurance or home warranty verify with your state insurance commission that the company is licensed to sell in your state and registered with the commission. The insurance commission will be able to tell you who the underwriter is. I have also been working with the Department of the Army being that my husband and I are both retired veterans and American Home Guard targets soldiers and veterans. STAY AWAY FROM THIS DISGUSTING SCAM COMPANY AMERICAN HOME GUARD.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I had a claim back in May. From May to July I made numerous phone calls, sent emails and spoke to various Representatives. They told me check was in the mail that the claim would be paid. Finally the company was going to put a lien on my home. The company that perform the service also made numerous attempts how to get payment to no avail. Finally at the end of July I requested to cancel the contract. Since then again I have made numerous phone calls, emails to no avail. They are going to charge me $500 to cancel the contract. Even though the only reason and I'm canceling is because I can't get them to make good on their claims. When I'm able to get through all I am told is that they will research it and get back to me. They never call me back. I wish there was some recourse.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I am convinced that this service is a total sham!!! I switched from my other home service because AHG offered a cheaper rate! Well you get what you pay for with them. NOTHING! I have been trying to get through via telephone and via online claims since Sept. 28th, 2018. Today is October 4, 2018. I managed to get a so-called answering service and when I explained that I was trying to contact them to place a claim, the man on the other end said, "Well they are very busy, and I am their answering service. I will take your name and number." I explained, I have been trying to get through for the last six days, and I have place online claims with no reply, he just said, "I don't know what to tell you, other than they are busy." What answering service is on during working hours??? I made the mistake of paying them for a years service, should have gone monthly. I am filing a complaint with BBB and the State's consumer attorney general. Good luck everyone.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

They are really amazing and worked with full integrity. I am really thankful to the American Home Guard team. I would recommend them for any problems related to home services and they have very good professionals who are experts in the work they deliver.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have taken services from American Home Guard, and I must say I am really satisfied with the way they resolved my queries and I really appreciate the work they have done. There is no doubt about the way they work.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I called AHG when I had a ceiling fan fall from the ceiling and hang by a single wire. In falling, it shorted out two bedrooms power. This was an emergency and I stated so, once I FINALLY got through to AHG. They are MOST difficult to get to answer their phones. Anyway, I explained my situation and they decided that the electrical issue should take priority over the ceiling fan replacement. Great. I agreed because my son couldn't sleep in a room with a live wire. They gave me a case number and said that they would contact an electrician and that I would hear back from them.

RIGHT. TWO WEEKS and at LEAST 10 phone calls later, I finally got through to them again. Over the next 2 weeks it finally came to light that they didn't have anyone local to send, so they told me to hire my own electrician and then send them the bill. Of course, I was able to get an electrician that same day who I had to pay out of my own pocket. What use is a home warranty that takes YOUR money every month, but doesn't pay for the service you are supposed to receive - IN A TIMELY MANNER. And remember, I was dealing with an electrical issue - a live wire and a shorted system. We could have had a fire.

And, whenever I contacted them I explained that this was an emergency - they agreed, but it made NO DIFFERENCE in how they treated my case. As for the fan, they told me to go out and buy one and then send them the bill. I never sent them anything. I just sucked it all up and decided to cancel my service with them. I am STILL trying to get them to stop deducting their $50 a month from my bank account. And this all started in April. American Home Guard is a TOTAL SCAM.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I had a garage door opener problem and called AHG, but they never trying to find serviceman near me ON PURPOSE (they said, "We could not find any serviceman near you so wait or find your own serviceman"). They want to fix garage door by customer money first and don't pay reimbursement check to customer! If someone read this review please trust and believe all reviews and do not with AHG, if you with them you will get headaches and stresses and waste money! They said garage opener cover up to $500.00 but approved only $125.00 never came check! And one day I called them they said that, "Reimbursement check already has been mail out to you, will receive any time," but that was Lie! Now they don't pick up the phone! (Mailbox is full, please call back later!).

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

As a member of this company in January 2018, on the suggestion of the company, I paid to have a serviceman of my choice out to repair my washing machine, which was covered under the warranty at the time. The company said they would reimburse me for the money I paid the serviceman for the ensuing repair, which was $239. This was because the company's own serviceman that had been out once told me what part it needed and he had to order it, but I never heard from him again nor could I contact him. I completed the reimbursement form, which the company signed off on, for $239. Now, since April of 2018, the company promises to send the check, but they never do. They breached the contract to reimburse me and ignored my subsequent dozen phone calls, correspondence from my attorney and also the Better Business Bureau. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Amazingly unprofessional and dishonest. Poor service, attempted to auto-renew my contract behind my back, unable to fulfill a straightforward service request. Their vendor claimed to be unaware of AHG and could promise a service call only 1 month later. So I had the work done myself. AHG agreed to reimburse a small portion of my costs. Despite many promises and two months elapsed time I have yet to see their check.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Warning! Do not Buy! Listed as Online Scam Website! Wondering how to rip people off American Home Guard (AHG) style? Read on: Pick a patriotic name and design a logo with a patriotic theme. Create a professional looking website with all sorts of false claims. Also, create or pay fake rating websites and non-existing companies to support your false claims! Make unsuspecting customers buy multi-year plans by giving discounts. Do not provide service to the customer when they put a request, and seize every opportunity to make them frustrated. Do not respond to/return call, and when your "representative" answers after multiple calls make the customer even more frustrated by being extremely rude and using ** language, all to trick the customer to ask if they could cancel the plan (just asking the question is enough).

Send the customer a signed and finalized cancelation agreement right away (no actual request from the customer needed) “effective immediately”! In the cancelation process charge the customer all sorts of fees and costs: including pro-rated annual charging with non-discounted rate (which is ludicrously high); and charging for the service fees you owed the customer (instead of refunding those fees you charge them for it, basically double-charging!). So that, at the end you get to keep lion share of the money originally paid by the customer for a 5-year plan for –not providing- service in just a few months. This is the best part: Do not send the refund check to the customer for several months after it was supposed to be refunded, if you ever send it to them.

False claims:
    - 50 years in business while the business was registered for the first time on 03/18/2016;

- 24/7 service: the 24/7 line is basically a call answering system that takes calls but nothing is supposed to happen until 2 to 4 days (if a weekend) after that. I had a dishwasher service request open for over a month with nothing happening and after multiple calls, they sent me an agreement cancelation notice. Imagine not being able to use any of your restrooms for several days and getting rude and unprofessional responses from AGH customer service (more like a customer disservice) so that you decide to pay a plumbing company to take care of it.

Their BBB ranking is F! Other tactics used are paid reviews or reviews by their employees. For instance, almost all of AHG’s positive reviews on this website are posted the same day and from the same location with the same writing style. Interestingly their phone system says these calls are being recorded. AHG, you better ditch those recordings of your representatives talking to the customers, unless you want them to be used against you in the class-action lawsuit that is going to hit you.

No matter which department you try to speak to, the same couple of rude unprofessional persons answer and when you ask them why this company is doing this to their customers they give you the standard answer every time: "I'm just a representative here". I find this funny in so many different levels. I’m not getting into details of it here, but if you are in sales or worked in a call center, you know what that means. If you wish to talk to a manager, good luck with that because there is no manager. Apparently, it's just the CEO and couple of "representatives".

To their credit, their salesperson does a great job of giving you all sorts of promises and sales talks, just as you expect from a con artist and a scamming enterprise! Before you buy, they are the nicest and most professional people, as soon as they get your money, they either don't answer or talk ** language to discourage you from calling again. Classic scammers tactics. Have you heard of that Nigerian prince?!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

This company does not return your phone calls - they give you the run around. We were approved for $95 on the repair of our garbage disposal on 4/20/18 - we were told it would arrive within 30 days - we did not receive our check until 8/6/18. It was handwritten and dated 5/20/18. We had to make several calls in the process and through my frustration, I told the gentleman that this company was terrible to deal with and he told me that I was a terrible customer and hung up on me.

Our air conditioner went out, we called and submitted a claim. The company we were told to work with took 2 days before they came out to check the air - BTW, this was in the middle of the summer and it was not a weekend call - it was a Monday morning. The air conditioning company finally submitted to the insurance company what was wrong, without any of the detail that they had given us. When I called American Home Guard I was told it was covered and we could proceed. When I called the air conditioning company they said they had to have written notice. When that finally came through - it was actually turned down and not covered at all. All of this took over a week and we were without air conditioning the entire time. I do not recommend this company at all!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

This business is so poorly managed. When you call, it sounds like the business is run from a basement. You can hear personal conversations. They claim to be so busy that customers have to hound them down for answers, yet they are very quick to dismiss a claim. We've had temperatures above 100 in California and our AC went out. It's been over a week without AC and AHG barely contacted us to let us know they'll only cover $150 because we don't have maintenance receipts!!! What??? Never did they say we needed receipts on an item previously owned by someone else! When I signed up they said they covered even tear and wear. The AC unit recommended we need a new unit yet AHG is approving only $150!!! What is that going to do!!! These people are total scammers! Don't go with AHG, please!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Stay as far away as possible. Too bad you can't give a minus rating for this company. This is a company that only takes your money and does not provide service. I'm still waiting for a "so called review" of my claim. And, if you ask to talk to someone about the status, forget it. They actually say, "You can't talk to anyone as they don't take calls from the homeowner." I have notified my company and all the agents that work in my company to stay as far away as possible. Leaving multiple messages does not help. However, if you push the number for sales, you seem to get a live person. Go figure. This company needs to be shut down.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Let me start off by saying, if I could give negative stars for AHG, I would. Having to deal with AHG has been by far the worse experience than any other company service I have dealt with in the past. I just signed up with AHG in Nov 2017, a few months have gone by, at around the end of March 2018, I went online to file a claim, about a week had past, heard nothing, I called and called and called, finally got ahold of someone, had no record of me filing a claim, entered in my information for service, but kept telling me I can call a local service tech myself and just give AHG their information (This is not what I paid for).

I got busy with work and other life things, kind of forgot about the service claim I filed, a month had passed, I receive an email from AHG asking me of the service was complete, I’m looking at the email confused thinking shouldn’t you know if it has or not, but no it has not, I replied stated “No local service tech has contacted me to inspect my issue and file an authorization claim”. About a week later finally a local service tech was assigned to my claim, came out, and inspected the issue. I was standing next to this tech when they called in to the authorization line to tell them what needed to be done, of course shocker, no one answered, and tech left v-mail. Another week or so had passed, still nothing. I spent hours of a Saturday calling, getting no answer, left numerous voicemails, which never get returned.

I finally got ahold of someone who proceeds to tell me, tech never told them what needed to be done. So I had to contact the service tech, who had to send in what needed to be done. Again I waited and waited and waited, and NOTHING. Nearly 60 days has passed since I initial filed my claim, it’s not until I stated I wanted to cancel my policy, which I paid 2 years in advance for, that someone from the “escalated department” called me. This person was full of nothing, proceeded to tell me I needed to give AHG the professional respect of more time to work on my claim, kept telling me the time frame from when I filed my claim is not the issue and that is in the past. I ended that call saying I want nothing from AHG but my money back. AHG did not live up to their claims of fast service, quick responses, available 24/7. I couldn’t even get my one and only claim with them done, yet they act surprised I would want my money back.

I had to file a BBB complaint on AHG, which AHG has never answered. I filed a fraud claim with my credit card, luckily enough my credit card has given me my money back for the 2nd fee which AHG never called me to authorize the charge in Feb 2018 like I stated on the call back in Nov 2017. As I write this review June 20th 2018, it’s been over a month now since I have stated to cancel my policy, and only communication I have gotten was an email showing cancellation is in process, but the total they show looks like I will not be getting a refund. People should know, after 30 days of getting your policy, you will be charged $200 just to cancel your policy, they prorate your time used based on non-discount rate, So 6 months into a 12 month policy, it appears I am out $450.00. Where is the retribution as a customer for when the company doesn’t live up to the standards they lay out?

I even called several times over the last 2 weeks to get some resolve and possible continue to do business with AHG but like always, no emails get returned, no voicemails get returned, the 855# you call, can never get ahold of anyone. I spoke to someone on June 19th 2018, he took down all my information promised, assured me, someone will be calling me today “19th”, of course, another shocker, no one ever called. This company is a fraud; I would strongly urge anyone looking into AHG, do online research, look at all the reviews. When you have thousands of reviews that are negative, then it is the company’s issue not the consumer. I have local service tech’s that will not do business with AHG because of their unprofessional business tactics.

As I write this review, it has been a little over 11 weeks since my initial request to cancel my service and refund my money. On Jun 25th 2018 I received an email, about my refund amount, that was a little over 5 weeks ago, and still no refund. After I posted a negative review on google, I get a call from someone name Alonzo (I believe) harassing me to remove the negative review because he claims they have refunded me my money. I have yet to receive any refund for a service I could never use, Aug 1st, 2018. I have emailed several times with no response.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Perfect FRAUD. Excellent planned JUST PAPERWORK. I lost $375. They will promise that you will get your reimbursement by check within 2 weeks. But never received the check so far. They said there was a 90 days wait period for plumbing work as per the agreement. I did not know. But that is the time they wanted to cheat because you cannot dispute with credit card company after. Very well planned - organised cheating company. No one should lose like me. They did not even pay the service provider. NEVER EVER GO TO THIS MERCHANT. ORGANIZED CRIME.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I am a realtor, called to get a price on a home warranty for a home I was selling. The guy Barry... that I talked to lied and said I needed to go ahead and purchase but that the warranty would not go into effect until the home closed!! I said, "What if it falls through..." He said "You can get your money back”... The contract fell through... I called to get a refund... They said it had started when I purchased... So they said they only owed me 150. Of the 375... I have yet to get that back and it has been over 2 months! They encourage their employees to lie... and see nothing wrong. The supervisor said, “Well you gave him your credit card number”. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I bought this policy 12/31/17 because my husband was going into the hospital, and I needed someone to call if I had appliance problems at my house. Since purchasing this policy, I have had several things break down. They did send someone to fix my stove, but since then they have denied every other claim. I've had a lot of bad luck this year, and they have denied my claims for my refrigerator, water heater, and pool pump. They make up excuses on why the claims are denied--usually stating that everything is an "electrical failure" which the contract says they do not cover. But all appliances are electrical, so they figure they can just use that excuse all the time.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Please… Please. DO NOT buy this insurance (American Home Guard) and allow yourself cheated! I bought this insurance (Blue plan) in March 2018. I called this company for a kitchen faucet leakage in last week of June. Until now (July 17th), the issue is not resolved. I made at least 10 phone calls to this company. Every time I call, their response is “We are negotiating with a contractor, you will get an email before end of the day”. That email never going to come until you make another two more calls. Finally, one contractor came after 10 calls. Up on his findings, the faucet need to be replaced. After the inspection, the leakage got worsen. Again, I called the American Home Guard and inform about it. The claim specialist asked me to “keep a bucket where the leak is happening”. Smart idea!! Isn’t it? Until today, I haven’t got any call form the American Home Guard for any update.

I’m very disappointed with this company and I’ll not recommend this company to anyone. These are the reasons you should consider if you plan to purchase from American Home Guard. 1. You will not get a proper response if you call after office hours. Some third party will take the call and they never communicate to claims department (At least in my case). The company says 24/7 coverage! 2. You never get any call back from this company if you file a claim. 3. Sales guy will say, everything is covered. But if you read the agreement, the coverages are very limited. 4. Very poor customer relation. 5. There is no option to file a claim online.

Original review: July 16, 2018

The first time I submitted a claim, it was poorly resolved. I had to settle for less than what it cost me to replace a garage door opener. And that settlement occurred after innumerable telephone calls. I had two subsequent occasions to contact them because of problems I encountered and, even though I was given a claim number, I was never again contacted. This company is a true scam and it's a shame that they are permitted to continue in business.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I signed with this co. in Dec. 2017, mid Jan. my garbage disposal stop working. I called they said they did not send out repairmen for that and to replace it and send them the receipt for the disposal. That was 7 month ago. Every time I call I get a runaround. This co. is a ripoff.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I WISH I HAD KNOWN ABOUT CONSUMER AFFAIRS BEFORE I ENGAGED AMERICAN HOME GUARD. AFTER PAYING THEIR PREMIUMS THEY refused my first claim! They referenced their agreement which they conveniently never sent me.

Original review: June 15, 2018

This company is probably tops the list of the worst in customer service! I had a complete argument with a claims rep that swore me up and down that he had spoken with me earlier in the day when in fact I had not even called for 5 days. He had the worst attitude. They only give you the depreciated value of an appliance which defeats the purpose of having a home warranty. After going back and forth with them for over a month over a dishwasher they finally came to the conclusion the replace it at $125 and not pay for installation. What can I do with this? I am canceling this plan and I forewarn any consumer to please research when looking for home warranties. This company is terrible.

Original review: May 26, 2018

They do not answer as promised within 24 hours. Waited 2 weeks for repair visit. Did not pay value of replacement. Promised a review within one week. It is now week four and nothing!

Original review: May 24, 2018

It has been OVER a WEEK since you were notified that my WASHING MACHINE was out of order. NO one has contacted me during this time; not YOU nor ANYONE. I have found a TECHNICAL REPAIRMAN and no longer need your assistance on this matter. I WANT MY PAYMENT TO YOU REFUNDED NOW.

In the absence of a response I will paper you through the INTERNET and go after you in court and the Better Business Bureau. Make it easy in all of us; pay me back the prorate share of my remaining contract NOW.

American Home Guard expert review by Michele Lerner

American Home Guard is a home warranty company that offers three levels of protection for homeowners, depending on their needs. They sell plans to homeowners, home sellers and realtors. With a national network of service providers, American Home Guard is capable of having a technician sent to your home fast so your problem is solved in less than 24 hours. Their services include warranties for major home appliances, major home systems and a combination of both major appliances and major systems.

• Versatile: With three levels of protection available, you won’t pay for warranties you don’t need. In addition to providing warranties for home systems and/or appliances, you can add-on protection for your pool, sump pump, lawn sprinkler system and more.

• Discounts available: American Home Guard has several discount options for active and veteran military, seniors and government employees.

• Transferrable warranty: Home sellers can easily transfer their warranty to homebuyers, which can make your house more marketable. Transferred warranties are valid for one full year of coverage beginning on the date of closing.

• Fast claims processing: When you need something fixed, call American Home Guard anytime, day or night. They will send out a technician to assess the situation and provide a solution, whether that is repairing or replacing the appliance or system, all for one low flat-fee service charge.

• Free, easy quote: Fill out a short form online to get your free quote on an American Home Guard warranty plan. Best of all, your plan comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, so you can sign up risk-free for the first 30 days.

• Best for: homeowners, home sellers and realtors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Home Guard Company Information