1.67/5
Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home warranty company?

American Home Guard

American Home Guard has fast and reliable claims services that will ensure you and your family’s appliance or system replacement/repairs are taken care of.

American Home Guard has three different service plans that can be tailored to fit your specific needs.

As an industry leader they provide the most comprehensive and flexible warranty on the market and offer a full 30-day Money Back Guarantee.

Call them toll free today for a free quote make sure you ask about the senior citizens, military and veteran discounts!

Read More Read More

Last updated: April 16, 2018

202 American Home Guard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2018

We have had various emergency problems, plumbing with sewage coming back into the house, dangerous electrical problem, broken refrig, etc etc. In five separate instances, not one has been resolved. No one comes out to your house. Once they know your phone number they don't answer the phones. They only take your money but refuse to do any repairs. Please join me in reporting them to the Penn Attorney General. This is not bad service but a criminal matter.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I purchased a home warranty from AHG in September 2017. My furnace stopped in early January 2018 on a Friday evening during the Arctic blast. AHG was unavailable (closed during weekends) so as it was an emergency situation I called a local repair company to fix the furnace and restore heat to my home. I recontacted AHG on the next business day and filed a claim per their procedure. They have denied the claim and after repeated contact with them and submitting all their forms they stated they would pay 25% of the cost of the repair. However, that was many weeks ago and they have not responded to any followup contact and not made the payment to settle the claim as promised. They are quick to respond and tell you they will pay you but then do not. It's been 3 months so far. I'm attempting to cancel the contract but fear I will never see a penny.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Yikes! Never been suckered like this in my life. What a RIP OFF! Not only did I sign up two homes for 3 years but got my friend involved as well. Their sales dept reps make you think you got the DEAL OF THE CENTURY. Oh my oh my, how stupid! It all started when we contacted AHG about a microwave oven fix in October of 2017 Today we're still waiting for the check they said we'd be receiving in lieu of fix. That was over five months ago. You call to find out what's happening, they either don't answer, put you on hold forever or promise they'd follow up but nothing.

I sent a request in writing to cancel both my policies and refund what remains (2 1/2 years). They not only act slow but acknowledge half of my request. Today I wrote to them stating this is my 3rd and final request. If I don't hear from them I will turn the matter over to an attorney. THE MOST FRUSTRATING customer service I've ever had to deal with. If there was ZERO STAR to rate them, I would tick that.

Original review: March 28, 2018

This company is a complete ripoff. Save your money. They are a scam. They very rarely answer the phone or return a message. They took 9 days to find a plumber to unclog my kitchen sink. I also filed a separate claim for my pool heater (I paid extra for pool coverage). They drag out my claim for 4 MONTHS by claiming they couldn’t find a technician. They told me I could find one. I did in 48 hrs. They told me to send them an estimate for the repairs which I did. They approved the repairs up to $400. Because the repairs were over $600 they told me to pay the bill and they would send me a check for $400 within 30 days. It has now been over 90 days and of course they haven’t paid me. I contacted them multiple times requesting payment and they said they were waiting to speak with the pool company but they couldn’t reach them. I sent them the owner's cell phone #. I will be contacting my lawyer...

Original review: March 21, 2018

Wow! Where to begin? I wish I would’ve read these reviews before I got suckered into buying this service. I’ve called a half dozen times to check on the status of my reimbursement check for a garbage disposal I installed myself. Every time I call they tell me the same thing. “We are mailing it today”. They contract mediocre companies with worse ratings. Do yourself a favor and pay the extra money for another company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Guard?

Original review: March 5, 2018

Do not sign up with this company. They will entice you with price, offering 2 extra free months, and a low rate. When it comes time for them to deliver the service they promised, they either change the rules of the contract or they log your call as a troublemaker and refuse to talk to you. Also, do not believe all the false "excellent" ratings this company professes to have. It is a marketing scam of theirs to devise all the good press themselves. I am not a rival Home Warranty company. I am a senior consumer that got taken by a sly and crafty fraudulent business. You have been warned.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

This American Home Guard warranty company contacted me for the selling the warranty. They took my credit card to be put on hold before starting my service in January. Then I saw 2 charges of $300 each in November and December, 2017 before I even signed an agreement with them for starting the service. They are not willing to return my money even when no service was rendered. Despite 3-4 emails and phone calls no answer. This company is scamming people.

Updated on 05/08/2018: It has been almost 3 months-80 calls to customers service, 2-3 complaint forms, 10-15 emails, and several conversations with Stephanie on the phone, and despite all the promises I have not received my refund of $600. I have been leaving messages for Stephanie- the manager on daily basis, and have talked to her on several occasions where she promised me I would receive the credit soon.

My one job on daily basis is to call American Home Guard for refund. Can you believe that??? I trusted the management’s words, and this is height of disappointment, and torture for waiting for 3 months, and still no refund if $600. This is the first company that has taken sooo long despite agreeing to refund the money. I need to know where the remaining refund is. I took BBB review, and negative complaints out three months ago on a promise that the refund would be issued, and the company agreed. I have no credit card disputes open or any credits from your company. I have proof of the refund agreement issued 3 months ago but still no refund. Is this a real company???

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

We have had a home warranty for years. In the summer of last year, we switched to American Home Guard as our current home warranty company kept increasing their fees year after year. We thought wow, what a deal! Under $600 and it covered all normal appliances and also our hot tub and in-ground pool. They threw in two extra months of coverage for free to get us to switch. I am SO sorry we did! They do not cover anything! We went to fire up our hot tub right before Thanksgiving. It did not work. We don't use it in the summer as it is 120 in Phoenix. It was fine when we shut it down for the summer. They said it could not be covered as it was broken for more than 60 days. Even the technician was kind enough to take pictures and write an explanation, but that did not help.

They refused to pay. Since then our garbage disposal broke in November. American Home Guard told us to pay the contractor and send in the invoice for reimbursement. We still have not received that check. Today, the garbage disposal broke again, but now they want me to pay the technician for the new disposal and the service fee and they will reimburse me. Sound familiar? I am nervous they won't pay this either. I called them and asked to talk to a manager, they said they would have one call me within the hour. Three and 1/2 hours later still no call. They are on the east coast, so I called again. Never a response at all. Buyer Beware! Cost is not always what it is cracked up to be. This outfit is a JOKE. Don't buy from them!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

They won’t repair anything! - My refrigerator stopped working and they are telling me that it is working. I live here... I know when my refrigerator is not keeping my food cold. This warranty is a waste of your money!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

The sales person (Tom) sold us on the fact that they provide coverage for our location and it covers the parts, labor, repair and replacement. We called to have our refrigerator repaired under this policy. They sent us a letter assigning a technician and that service fee was $45. We called servicer and they stated they have no contract with AHG. We spent 2 weeks calling them every day because they could not assign a technician in our area - no contracts in place. Then they authorize us to contact a local technician. We get their original servicer to fix our refrigerator, but must get authorization for cost to be approved. This is when they inform me that the part and tax are approved less my deductible ($45).

The service charge for coming out is not covered because "I" called them despite them authorizing. Then the "labor" to fix the system is not covered because they call this "installation" which is not covered. They took me to the clause in the contract that reads as follows: "This policy covers mechanical breakdowns, it does not cover shelves, door handles, doors, hinges, knobs and buttons, door seals, displays, latches, timers, leveling equipment, clogged drains or lines, cosmetic issues, gaskets, coils, leak searches, lights, noise, refrigerants, valves, dispensers, installation, electrical failures." Can you find the hidden word? Total deceit. Their original letter stated my cost would be $45. But because they did not have servicers or contracts and I called with their authorization, I have to pay $89 service call fee and $90 installation fee which is really part of the parts and labor fix. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I love AHG and recommend to every homeowner to carry AHG. My last service call was for being without heat and AHG had the contractor come and they was the nicest well mannered company and I ended up getting a new furnace.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My dishwasher began to show signs of breaking down and was in need of a new one or at least a repair. I contacted AHG and they said they will send someone to come diagnose the unit and hopefully be able to repair it. He arrived and repaired it in no time! Excellent work from ahg as usual.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Messed up claim requests every time, had lots of issues with the technicians they dispatched who either told me they had no work number assigned or they didn't work with insurance so I had to pay full amount (what???). I had tried several home warranty companies. This is by far the worst. And their advertised 24 hour claim is a joke. After their normal business hour (6pm EST?) you either get no answer or have someone picked up only to tell you someone will get back to you during normal business hour.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I had 3 policy with American Home Guard, because they had lower prices, well I got what I paid for. I cancelled my policies because, it would take forever to get someone to call me to repair my AC unit. Well, no one ever fixed my unit. I cancelled my policies about 4 months ago and I still haven't received my refund check. I filed a complaint BBB and of course they are not members of the BBB. I have called and email American Home Guard and Still no check. They have great salespeople to help you open an account, but their service and billing department are not very helpful. I do not recommend American Home Guard to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

The one time I had to use my American Home Guard coverage the response time was immediate and the service contractor was associated with a well known national company. My icemaker was repaired within 24 hours of the call.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Salesman lied, company is bogus and will not pay claims, plus they want to depreciate an appliance and have customer basically pay for replacement. I concur with other one star comments as my experience was exactly the same.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

The previous owners of our home purchased a warranty for our home with this company. We called them for the first time in August because our bathtub was backing up. First of all, they were rude. Second, they sent a plumber and the plumber claimed that the problem wasn't covered by our warranty. He said that it had something to do with the vent. Since they wouldn't fix it, my husband got up on top of the roof and did what the plumber said was the problem. It was not the problem.

So my husband went to Home Depot and bought a tool and cleared the pipe himself... Which was very clearly covered by our warranty. So we paid the $65 service call fee PLUS what it cost us at Home Depot. We called them the second time when our garbage disposal was leaking. They sent a plumber who replaced our garbage disposal with a brand of garbage disposal that we couldn't even look up online and with a less horse power motor. We found a comparable one online that cost less than the service call did. These people are thieves. They take the money to start the policy and then don't even honor the policy.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We purchased a plan from AHG based on reviews and cost. 6 months into the plan we submitted a claim for a refrigerator. AHG suggested we contact a repairman ourselves because they were on the East Coast - they would reimburse us for the cost. It took 20 calls and emails to finally get them to send the reimbursement. Two other claims were immediately denied. Customer service took hours of being on hold. Employees were nice, but no follow through. A few dollars of savings is not worth all the hassles and lies. Do not choose this company.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

On June I requested insurance for my two properties. On October 10th I requested a service for one of my property, the garage open wasn't working properly. The employee told me that my contract was incomplete because I haven't signed the papers. He emailed that I signed and returned. I called back to made sure everything was fine. They told me somebody will get in touch with me in 24 hours. I called back on Thursday 13th and I got the same respond. On Monday 17th I sent an email asking for a cancellation. They responded with a new papers to sign where they mentioned a $75 refund. I responded asking to clarify if that was a refund or fee charge for my cancellation.

I was a little apprehensive when I did business with this people because with my previous company I was receiving a monthly letter with tips to take care things in my house. I never heard anything about these people even though they told me my insurance was incomplete. They never get back to me to let me know. But they were taking my monthly fee $83.38. They took from me since June over $300 and when I requested a service they never provided. I am a woman and want to address my complaint because no company will take advantage of me. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

In my experience, American Home Guard Salesman use false statements about what is covered to sell warranties. Company management simply relies on the fine print of the warranty to refuse coverage of just about everything. Although salesman make statements in complete conflict with their contracts to sell the warranty. Management is unconcerned. AHG advertises as a 5 star warranty provider and top rated but does not disclose who and where these rating come from. In fact this company is rated (F) by the Better Business Bureau IMO, there are no such rating for this company which amounts to false and misleading advertising which is consistent with the endorsed fraudulent sales practices of their employees.

When an issue arises, the company cannot provide a contractor to do the work so they ask that the client provide their own contractor. AHG claims to be nationwide but has only been in business 3 years and cannot support the customers they have. When work is complete, the company refuses to service additional problems. The appliance fixed because the original work was not done by their contractor. In fact AHG refuses to even send out a contractor to see what the new problem is even though the customer pays for the service call with a $60 service fee. They simply grill the customer over the phone as to the nature of the mechanical problem looking for a reason to deny coverage.

The customer service is terrible as it is clear that this company has built their business model around denying coverage so the employees are used to dealing irate customers. You can easily lose a work day getting transferred from person to person and do not dare raise your voice. Although AHG employees have mastered arguing, condescension and loud disrespectful tone, don't dare return such tone or they will hang up on you and never answer your calls again.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

AHG called our office 6/20/17 requesting service on a washing machine for one of their customers, stating that they were unable to find appliance repair contractors in Michigan. Our terms of C.O.D. and charges were explained to their agent, which they accepted and provided us with a credit card for payment. We went out the same day to service the washing machine. Our technician called AHG with the diagnosis and estimate for approval on the repair and was informed they would pay $150 only and we would need to collect the balance from their customer. In good faith, we collected the deductible from their customer and ordered parts needed for repair.

On 6/24/17 we returned with the parts to complete the repair. The customer paid us their balance and when we processed the AHG credit card for the $150, it was declined. We called AHG but had to leave a message with the answering service since they are not open for business on Saturday. When calling AHG on 6/26, Stephanie in Client Services informed us we needed to email our invoice for payment, which we did. Called back on 6/27 unable to reach the Billing Dept due to call volume, so Jamie in Dispatch stated that their credit card was shut down due to fraudulent activity, he asked for our address and assured us a check would be sent out that day.

We called 7/7/17 to inform them that we did not receive their check and Eric said they would stop payment on it and reissue another check to our company that day, as they still do not have an active credit card to provide. Another call to AHG 7/20/17, Warren in the Billing Dept said a check was sent to us 7/12 and even gave a check number. At that time we let him know if we hadn't received payment by 7/21 we would be returning to their customer's home and removing our new parts off of their washer as we do not provide free service. Warren insisted that was illegal practice and assured us a manager from Billing would call us that afternoon - no call.

On 8/2/17 we put yet another call into Eric at AHG and left a voicemail message that if payment was not resolved by EOD 8/3/17, we would be forced to file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office - no return call was received. If it is standard practice of AHG to force contractors to chase them for payment, I strongly urge any other service companies that receive their calls to decline their requests. It has already cost our company more than the $150 due in time and calls to AHG for payment that will more than likely never be received.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

My wife and I were pleased with the service of American Home Guard when we called to report a needed repair for our freezer. American Home Guard could not find a local technician to service us promptly, so they immediately authorized us to bring in a local appliance repair company. As a result of this company's good service, we have renewed our warranty for a second year.

Original review: July 25, 2017

We purchased a home warranty from American Home Guard and their claim service was second to none. I submitted a claim by emailing them and a plumber came out the same day to take care of the issue. Their technicians were friendly and their service was excellent. Everything was easy, timely, and efficient with no hassles.

Original review: July 25, 2017

A few months back when I was getting a home warranty with American Home Guard I thought I wouldn’t need the extra coverage for my ice machine. However one of the nice salesman preferred I take it knowing that the summer months were coming up. In June my ice machine wouldn’t produce ice anymore and once I emailed them they came the next day to fix it.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Yesterday, my outlets gave up on me and I had no power in any of my outlets. I called up American Home Guard. They said they understood my concern and that they will send someone to fix it immediately. Not more than an hour later a electrician showed up and resolved my issue.

Original review: July 20, 2017

We have had an AHS warranty since June 2005. In May 2017 our AC unit heat pump failed. We have been on the phone in excess of 14 1/2 hours on hold with AHS trying to get this resolved. On 18 July the contractor came out to install a new 3 ton HVAC unit and the unit does not work. HS says this is no longer their problem and it's now a Manufacturing warranty problem. I contend that this is their problem until they furnish me a working unit. They are now telling me I must call the manufacturer. The technician says that the issue is more problematic to try to repair it than it is to just get a new outside condenser unit. Anybody have an attorney that works with the situation I would be happy to hear from because my next stop is a lawsuit.

It is 93° outside. It is 91° upstairs in the top part of my house and I am unable to use the upstairs of my house for over two months. I think I've been more than Reasonable in trying to resolve this amicably. Once this issue is resolved to my satisfaction I can guarantee we will be looking for a new home warranty service and I will absolutely deter anybody from going to American Home Shield for their warranty. If this is how they treat loyal customers who are always timely in their payments then I think I need to Go elsewhere.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I canceled my American Home Guard service contract on Feb 2, 2017 and was told that I would receive a refund. Literally 15 phone calls and 3 emails later, I still do not have the refund. I have been told several times that it was mailed, but I still have not received my refund (which I agreed I was due). This cannot be an ethical practice, I would warn everyone to not do business with American Home Guard.

Original review: July 10, 2017

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!! I called on 7/1/2017. They told me they would have someone at my house within 48 hours which I thought was great. But I heard nothing so I called on 7/5/17. They told me they would call me that same day. I told them to make sure they call my number as it is the primary number. But I did not get a call so I called back on 7/6/17. And they told me the same thing so I patiently waited again and called back on 7/7/17. They told me they called me on the 6th but they could not get a hold of me. I told them that I did not receive a call from them and that my shower head is leaking over 1 gallon a day. They told me that they were going to put it as a priority because of that. But it was Friday and where they are located it was already 5 o'clock. But that I might still get a call that day since it is such a big issue. But once again I received no call. No email. Nothing. I figured since it was the weekend I was going to let it go until Monday.

So I called today and asked to speak to the manager. He said he tried calling me on the 6th but used the secondary number even after I told them to specifically call my number. He then tells me that they apparently don't cover it and that they don't cover any shower head, valves, faucets, or anything like that. I asked why wouldn't they tell me that when I first called or at least call me back to tell me that. All he said was sorry... That is all after 10 days of trying to get a hold of them. He says sorry that doesn't help my situation at all. I am now afraid of something In my home going bad because I have no idea if they will decide not to cover it when it is convenient to them. I wish I didn't go with this warranty company and I hope nothing goes wrong in my house in the next year so I don't have to deal with their horrible customer service!!!

Original review: June 20, 2017

Worst experience I ever had. Unprofessional, horrible customer service, can't get through to anyone if needed, they don't do what they say. They took out more money from my account and I had a hard time getting it back only because I had proof. They hardly ever returned an email or call, claims cover almost nothing. Ended up spending more of my money, time and fixing my own repair with no help from them. Complete waste of money and time. They should not be trusted. Don't take my word for it. Call repair companies and ask them what they think of America Home Guard before spending your money. It will be worth the call. Good luck!

Original review: June 8, 2017

I called to sign up for a policy for my home on 5/26/2017. I was told I would receive an email with a copy of my policy. However, I did not receive it. After at least 6 phones calls over the course of a week I was assured the email was on its way. No one tells the truth at this company. As of 6/7/2017 I still have not received my policy. I sent an email to the company informing them I was cancelling my policy! If they can't send an email what makes me think I will be able to get service for my home. I also called my credit card company to make sure the charge on my account is reversed.

American Home Guard expert review by Michele Lerner

American Home Guard is a home warranty company that offers three levels of protection for homeowners, depending on their needs. They sell plans to homeowners, home sellers and realtors. With a national network of service providers, American Home Guard is capable of having a technician sent to your home fast so your problem is solved in less than 24 hours. Their services include warranties for major home appliances, major home systems and a combination of both major appliances and major systems.

• Versatile: With three levels of protection available, you won’t pay for warranties you don’t need. In addition to providing warranties for home systems and/or appliances, you can add-on protection for your pool, sump pump, lawn sprinkler system and more.

• Discounts available: American Home Guard has several discount options for active and veteran military, seniors and government employees.

• Transferrable warranty: Home sellers can easily transfer their warranty to homebuyers, which can make your house more marketable. Transferred warranties are valid for one full year of coverage beginning on the date of closing.

• Fast claims processing: When you need something fixed, call American Home Guard anytime, day or night. They will send out a technician to assess the situation and provide a solution, whether that is repairing or replacing the appliance or system, all for one low flat-fee service charge.

• Free, easy quote: Fill out a short form online to get your free quote on an American Home Guard warranty plan. Best of all, your plan comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, so you can sign up risk-free for the first 30 days.

• Best for: homeowners, home sellers and realtors.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Home Guard Company Information