3.19/5
  • 1 star
Based on 93 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home warranty company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

American Home Guard

American Home Guard has fast and reliable claims services that will ensure you and your family’s appliance or system replacement/repairs are taken care of.

American Home Guard has three different service plans that can be tailored to fit your specific needs.

As an industry leader they provide the most comprehensive and flexible warranty on the market and offer a full 30-day Money Back Guarantee.

Call them toll free today for a free quote make sure you ask about the senior citizens, military and veteran discounts!

FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 15, 2017

193 American Home Guard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

The sales person (Tom) sold us on the fact that they provide coverage for our location and it covers the parts, labor, repair and replacement. We called to have our refrigerator repaired under this policy. They sent us a letter assigning a technician and that service fee was $45. We called servicer and they stated they have no contract with AHG. We spent 2 weeks calling them every day because they could not assign a technician in our area - no contracts in place. Then they authorize us to contact a local technician. We get their original servicer to fix our refrigerator, but must get authorization for cost to be approved. This is when they inform me that the part and tax are approved less my deductible ($45).

The service charge for coming out is not covered because "I" called them despite them authorizing. Then the "labor" to fix the system is not covered because they call this "installation" which is not covered. They took me to the clause in the contract that reads as follows: "This policy covers mechanical breakdowns, it does not cover shelves, door handles, doors, hinges, knobs and buttons, door seals, displays, latches, timers, leveling equipment, clogged drains or lines, cosmetic issues, gaskets, coils, leak searches, lights, noise, refrigerants, valves, dispensers, installation, electrical failures." Can you find the hidden word? Total deceit. Their original letter stated my cost would be $45. But because they did not have servicers or contracts and I called with their authorization, I have to pay $89 service call fee and $90 installation fee which is really part of the parts and labor fix. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I love AHG and recommend to every homeowner to carry AHG. My last service call was for being without heat and AHG had the contractor come and they was the nicest well mannered company and I ended up getting a new furnace.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My dishwasher began to show signs of breaking down and was in need of a new one or at least a repair. I contacted AHG and they said they will send someone to come diagnose the unit and hopefully be able to repair it. He arrived and repaired it in no time! Excellent work from ahg as usual.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Messed up claim requests every time, had lots of issues with the technicians they dispatched who either told me they had no work number assigned or they didn't work with insurance so I had to pay full amount (what???). I had tried several home warranty companies. This is by far the worst. And their advertised 24 hour claim is a joke. After their normal business hour (6pm EST?) you either get no answer or have someone picked up only to tell you someone will get back to you during normal business hour.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I had 3 policy with American Home Guard, because they had lower prices, well I got what I paid for. I cancelled my policies because, it would take forever to get someone to call me to repair my AC unit. Well, no one ever fixed my unit. I cancelled my policies about 4 months ago and I still haven't received my refund check. I filed a complaint BBB and of course they are not members of the BBB. I have called and email American Home Guard and Still no check. They have great salespeople to help you open an account, but their service and billing department are not very helpful. I do not recommend American Home Guard to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Guard?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

The one time I had to use my American Home Guard coverage the response time was immediate and the service contractor was associated with a well known national company. My icemaker was repaired within 24 hours of the call.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Salesman lied, company is bogus and will not pay claims, plus they want to depreciate an appliance and have customer basically pay for replacement. I concur with other one star comments as my experience was exactly the same.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

The previous owners of our home purchased a warranty for our home with this company. We called them for the first time in August because our bathtub was backing up. First of all, they were rude. Second, they sent a plumber and the plumber claimed that the problem wasn't covered by our warranty. He said that it had something to do with the vent. Since they wouldn't fix it, my husband got up on top of the roof and did what the plumber said was the problem. It was not the problem.

So my husband went to Home Depot and bought a tool and cleared the pipe himself... Which was very clearly covered by our warranty. So we paid the $65 service call fee PLUS what it cost us at Home Depot. We called them the second time when our garbage disposal was leaking. They sent a plumber who replaced our garbage disposal with a brand of garbage disposal that we couldn't even look up online and with a less horse power motor. We found a comparable one online that cost less than the service call did. These people are thieves. They take the money to start the policy and then don't even honor the policy.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We purchased a plan from AHG based on reviews and cost. 6 months into the plan we submitted a claim for a refrigerator. AHG suggested we contact a repairman ourselves because they were on the East Coast - they would reimburse us for the cost. It took 20 calls and emails to finally get them to send the reimbursement. Two other claims were immediately denied. Customer service took hours of being on hold. Employees were nice, but no follow through. A few dollars of savings is not worth all the hassles and lies. Do not choose this company.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

On June I requested insurance for my two properties. On October 10th I requested a service for one of my property, the garage open wasn't working properly. The employee told me that my contract was incomplete because I haven't signed the papers. He emailed that I signed and returned. I called back to made sure everything was fine. They told me somebody will get in touch with me in 24 hours. I called back on Thursday 13th and I got the same respond. On Monday 17th I sent an email asking for a cancellation. They responded with a new papers to sign where they mentioned a $75 refund. I responded asking to clarify if that was a refund or fee charge for my cancellation.

I was a little apprehensive when I did business with this people because with my previous company I was receiving a monthly letter with tips to take care things in my house. I never heard anything about these people even though they told me my insurance was incomplete. They never get back to me to let me know. But they were taking my monthly fee $83.38. They took from me since June over $300 and when I requested a service they never provided. I am a woman and want to address my complaint because no company will take advantage of me. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

In my experience, American Home Guard Salesman use false statements about what is covered to sell warranties. Company management simply relies on the fine print of the warranty to refuse coverage of just about everything. Although salesman make statements in complete conflict with their contracts to sell the warranty. Management is unconcerned. AHG advertises as a 5 star warranty provider and top rated but does not disclose who and where these rating come from. In fact this company is rated (F) by the Better Business Bureau IMO, there are no such rating for this company which amounts to false and misleading advertising which is consistent with the endorsed fraudulent sales practices of their employees.

When an issue arises, the company cannot provide a contractor to do the work so they ask that the client provide their own contractor. AHG claims to be nationwide but has only been in business 3 years and cannot support the customers they have. When work is complete, the company refuses to service additional problems. The appliance fixed because the original work was not done by their contractor. In fact AHG refuses to even send out a contractor to see what the new problem is even though the customer pays for the service call with a $60 service fee. They simply grill the customer over the phone as to the nature of the mechanical problem looking for a reason to deny coverage.

The customer service is terrible as it is clear that this company has built their business model around denying coverage so the employees are used to dealing irate customers. You can easily lose a work day getting transferred from person to person and do not dare raise your voice. Although AHG employees have mastered arguing, condescension and loud disrespectful tone, don't dare return such tone or they will hang up on you and never answer your calls again.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

AHG called our office 6/20/17 requesting service on a washing machine for one of their customers, stating that they were unable to find appliance repair contractors in Michigan. Our terms of C.O.D. and charges were explained to their agent, which they accepted and provided us with a credit card for payment. We went out the same day to service the washing machine. Our technician called AHG with the diagnosis and estimate for approval on the repair and was informed they would pay $150 only and we would need to collect the balance from their customer. In good faith, we collected the deductible from their customer and ordered parts needed for repair.

On 6/24/17 we returned with the parts to complete the repair. The customer paid us their balance and when we processed the AHG credit card for the $150, it was declined. We called AHG but had to leave a message with the answering service since they are not open for business on Saturday. When calling AHG on 6/26, Stephanie in Client Services informed us we needed to email our invoice for payment, which we did. Called back on 6/27 unable to reach the Billing Dept due to call volume, so Jamie in Dispatch stated that their credit card was shut down due to fraudulent activity, he asked for our address and assured us a check would be sent out that day.

We called 7/7/17 to inform them that we did not receive their check and Eric said they would stop payment on it and reissue another check to our company that day, as they still do not have an active credit card to provide. Another call to AHG 7/20/17, Warren in the Billing Dept said a check was sent to us 7/12 and even gave a check number. At that time we let him know if we hadn't received payment by 7/21 we would be returning to their customer's home and removing our new parts off of their washer as we do not provide free service. Warren insisted that was illegal practice and assured us a manager from Billing would call us that afternoon - no call.

On 8/2/17 we put yet another call into Eric at AHG and left a voicemail message that if payment was not resolved by EOD 8/3/17, we would be forced to file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office - no return call was received. If it is standard practice of AHG to force contractors to chase them for payment, I strongly urge any other service companies that receive their calls to decline their requests. It has already cost our company more than the $150 due in time and calls to AHG for payment that will more than likely never be received.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

My wife and I were pleased with the service of American Home Guard when we called to report a needed repair for our freezer. American Home Guard could not find a local technician to service us promptly, so they immediately authorized us to bring in a local appliance repair company. As a result of this company's good service, we have renewed our warranty for a second year.

Original review: July 25, 2017

We purchased a home warranty from American Home Guard and their claim service was second to none. I submitted a claim by emailing them and a plumber came out the same day to take care of the issue. Their technicians were friendly and their service was excellent. Everything was easy, timely, and efficient with no hassles.

Original review: July 25, 2017

A few months back when I was getting a home warranty with American Home Guard I thought I wouldn’t need the extra coverage for my ice machine. However one of the nice salesman preferred I take it knowing that the summer months were coming up. In June my ice machine wouldn’t produce ice anymore and once I emailed them they came the next day to fix it.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Yesterday, my outlets gave up on me and I had no power in any of my outlets. I called up American Home Guard. They said they understood my concern and that they will send someone to fix it immediately. Not more than an hour later a electrician showed up and resolved my issue.

Original review: July 20, 2017

We have had an AHS warranty since June 2005. In May 2017 our AC unit heat pump failed. We have been on the phone in excess of 14 1/2 hours on hold with AHS trying to get this resolved. On 18 July the contractor came out to install a new 3 ton HVAC unit and the unit does not work. HS says this is no longer their problem and it's now a Manufacturing warranty problem. I contend that this is their problem until they furnish me a working unit. They are now telling me I must call the manufacturer. The technician says that the issue is more problematic to try to repair it than it is to just get a new outside condenser unit. Anybody have an attorney that works with the situation I would be happy to hear from because my next stop is a lawsuit.

It is 93° outside. It is 91° upstairs in the top part of my house and I am unable to use the upstairs of my house for over two months. I think I've been more than Reasonable in trying to resolve this amicably. Once this issue is resolved to my satisfaction I can guarantee we will be looking for a new home warranty service and I will absolutely deter anybody from going to American Home Shield for their warranty. If this is how they treat loyal customers who are always timely in their payments then I think I need to Go elsewhere.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I canceled my American Home Guard service contract on Feb 2, 2017 and was told that I would receive a refund. Literally 15 phone calls and 3 emails later, I still do not have the refund. I have been told several times that it was mailed, but I still have not received my refund (which I agreed I was due). This cannot be an ethical practice, I would warn everyone to not do business with American Home Guard.

Original review: July 10, 2017

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!! I called on 7/1/2017. They told me they would have someone at my house within 48 hours which I thought was great. But I heard nothing so I called on 7/5/17. They told me they would call me that same day. I told them to make sure they call my number as it is the primary number. But I did not get a call so I called back on 7/6/17. And they told me the same thing so I patiently waited again and called back on 7/7/17. They told me they called me on the 6th but they could not get a hold of me. I told them that I did not receive a call from them and that my shower head is leaking over 1 gallon a day. They told me that they were going to put it as a priority because of that. But it was Friday and where they are located it was already 5 o'clock. But that I might still get a call that day since it is such a big issue. But once again I received no call. No email. Nothing. I figured since it was the weekend I was going to let it go until Monday.

So I called today and asked to speak to the manager. He said he tried calling me on the 6th but used the secondary number even after I told them to specifically call my number. He then tells me that they apparently don't cover it and that they don't cover any shower head, valves, faucets, or anything like that. I asked why wouldn't they tell me that when I first called or at least call me back to tell me that. All he said was sorry... That is all after 10 days of trying to get a hold of them. He says sorry that doesn't help my situation at all. I am now afraid of something In my home going bad because I have no idea if they will decide not to cover it when it is convenient to them. I wish I didn't go with this warranty company and I hope nothing goes wrong in my house in the next year so I don't have to deal with their horrible customer service!!!

Original review: June 20, 2017

Worst experience I ever had. Unprofessional, horrible customer service, can't get through to anyone if needed, they don't do what they say. They took out more money from my account and I had a hard time getting it back only because I had proof. They hardly ever returned an email or call, claims cover almost nothing. Ended up spending more of my money, time and fixing my own repair with no help from them. Complete waste of money and time. They should not be trusted. Don't take my word for it. Call repair companies and ask them what they think of America Home Guard before spending your money. It will be worth the call. Good luck!

Original review: June 8, 2017

I called to sign up for a policy for my home on 5/26/2017. I was told I would receive an email with a copy of my policy. However, I did not receive it. After at least 6 phones calls over the course of a week I was assured the email was on its way. No one tells the truth at this company. As of 6/7/2017 I still have not received my policy. I sent an email to the company informing them I was cancelling my policy! If they can't send an email what makes me think I will be able to get service for my home. I also called my credit card company to make sure the charge on my account is reversed.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Paid $799. 45 days later needed service, waited over a month. Called appliance repair personally. Cost me over $700. AHG offered $150, but never sent money. I canceled, one month still no refund. Spoke with a Cheryl, Stephanie, Jim, Warren(?), and more. This is a ripoff.

Original review: May 27, 2017

To all the consumer that are looking for help with their household appliance and to add, added comfort and insurance, this is not the company for you... There are multi companies out there and you might be confusing this one with American Home Shield! Our recommendation is do your homework before signing anything with this company because unlike Veterans... They do NOT have your back! We have submitted three claim and we were denied for all just because at one point of the component it holds or water runs through, which in return, they says it LEAK and it not cover! From one consumer to another CONSUMER BEWARE! Look elsewhere for coverage.

Original review: May 13, 2017

I bought a policy with American Home Guard on 12/10/16. My Air conditioner broke and I called to file a claim. We were asked to give a description of the item which we did. We never received a response. We finally called in March inquiring about the claim. Apparently they do not have technicians and could not send anyone. After a series of complaints they called and told me that they will send a technician. No technician called or showed up. We followed again with phone calls. No technician. They offered to make things better when we threatened to cancel but still no services.

They told us to write an email to cancel the policy which we did on March 25, 2017. They never responded to the email. After another phone call and email, they sent us a cancellation acceptance email using some else's name. I questioned the email. They send another email apologizing about the name. Our air conditioner is still not repaired.

In May I spoke to a supervisor (Stephanie) who sounded like she is willing to resolve the issue. At the end of our conversation she promised to refund all our money and waive the fees. She also promised to look into the company associates to evaluate why this happened and correct it for future clients. This was ok.

On May 8, 2017, I received a cancellation request with a fine of $375.00. What shocked me is that we had this company for four months, they did not honor the contract by not sending a technician, they breached the contract, and then charged us a lot of money for cancelling. I will be calling the Department of Consumer Affairs to help us with this fraudulent company. If anyone else would like to call please do so to help many people who are going to fall into this scam. Very dangerous!!!

Original review: May 10, 2017

This company is nothing but trouble. I purchased this warranty, and they did all they could to avoid processing a claim. So I cancelled my policy - in Nov 2016. It's April 2017 and they haven't sent the refund.

Original review: May 6, 2017

American Home Guard's package deal seemed like a good deal for three years and they extended it. One of the things I really was interested in was that they told us that it was all inclusive. If the furnace breaks down, there's no cap so if it's $5,000, they'll fix it. I was on the phone for a long time with the rep because I wanted to make sure that there were no caps. I had Sears package before which had caps on it. But the rep treated me well on the phone and answered all my questions. I made the decision to have coverage on my house. If two systems go at once, I'm gonna have a problem. But so far, so good though I haven't had to use it. The material they have given me is great and hopefully, they'll live up to their word. The company has just extended the coverage and I'm wondering if they're gonna be taking $200 this month.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I purchased an older home so I decided to look into acquiring a home warranty. American Home Guard was the first one to return my call. I liked the cost and what they offered so I went with them. I've been with them since February. My interactions with their sales rep were all done over the phone. When I bought the policy, I spoke to someone then and I had a little trouble getting a copy of it. I spoke to someone a couple of times after that. All in all, I'm very pleased with the service that I got so far.

Original review: April 30, 2017

I’ve signed up for American Home Guard and so far, it's been fine and I've had no problems.

Original review: April 27, 2017

We have a rental house in Florida and we want to make sure things were covered. We researched and got American Home Guard. The representative told me everything about the warranty.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I was searching on the web and I came across American Home Guard and decided to go with them. I liked the offer that they offered me, with the discounts for being a veteran. However, I did one claim yesterday and I was on hold for 15 minutes. I had to leave a callback number and I have not received a callback yet from the claims center. In most other places I had, if you’re put on hold, they’ll give you a wait time whenever you call. You can expect 5 to 15 minutes rather than sitting on the phone waiting. They need to staff a few more people so a person’s not put on hold so long just to find out that they’re supposedly going to call you back.

American Home Guard Company Information