3.22/5
Based on 9 reviews that contain star ratings

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

American General Warranty provides home warranty services in 46 of the 50 states. Their service plans includes coverage for many of your home's broken down systems and appliances. American General Warranty has proven themselves to be one of the best in the home warranty industry. Having the fastest turn around time to have a licensed technician in your home to repair or even replace your appliances & major systems.

AGW has proven time & time again to go above and beyond all expectations to help policy holders get their peace of mind by ensuring a complete & reliable network of vendors who are available 24/7 to get the job done in the fastest time frame possible.

View More View More

9 American General Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I purchased a 2 year home warranty for $678 and paid in full to get the best discount. I've attempted to contact them and cannot reach them at all. My debit card financial institution said a claim has to be made within 90 days so my money is lost.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I have recently purchased the service from American warranty. Anyway I was unlucky enough to have 2 items broken down one after the other... my wife was happy once she remembered about the warranty purchase. Of course The first item wasn't cover (water softener) even though it was offer on the sale pitch and recheck before the agreement.

2nd item (refrigerator)... someone stop by, look at it and call me days after saying the warranty place do not want to pay for it. The company only want to send a 200 dollars check to cover the fixing on my own. Of course by then I was furious after 300 + payments 2 broken items... softener not included and a 1400 refrigerator. They just want to give me a 200 check and hope that I'm happy about it... I don't know about you but I will think twice before agreeing with any new contracts.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I bought a warranty back in March for 600.00. Never received a policy, when trying to call twice, once to get a policy and second to get a claim filed, no one answered on either call. Didn't matter what time of day. They are not a good company to work with, they might just take all your money and leave you in the dust.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Purchased a policy from this company in February 2017. I have never received my policy. I called back about two weeks later, and nobody answered the phone despite the representation on their website that someone would answer the phone 24/7. I filled out the form to have someone contact me to purchase a policy, and received a callback within the hour. The representative told me he could not help me, that he was in "sales." For the past week and a half, I've been unable to get anyone on the phone at the number listed on their website. I'm currently disputing the charge of $550 on my credit card.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

I can not complain. American General have great service with my plumbing in bathroom. Plumber come and fix issue in less than 1 hour. Very good company. I will tell my coworkers to sign up and they give me free months.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American General Warranty?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

I live abroad and have a few homes that I rent out in Florida. Although I have a management team, I purchased coverage for all the homes. And thank goodness I did! I had one of the homes' ac go out and needed replacement in the middle of July and everyone knows how Florida is at that time of year. American General came and replaced the unit within 2 days. Can't begin to tell you how happy I am knowing I have a company like them especially because I am always traveling for business. Will definitely recommend American General Warranty!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

Our most recent experience with American General was having a technician have to come back to the house to fix the lack of cool air coming from our air conditioning. The repair guy determined the unit had a issue with compressor. I called American General to ask them what to do. While still on the phone with them, within 15 min, I got an approval to replace the entire compressor at no extra cost to me besides for the 45 dollars I paid for my service call.

In extremely warm weather, the repair guy worked hard and long to repair the unit. He was soo nice. He realised that my husband and I with our newborn and 2 girls needed a cool house right away. After like 6 hours He had to leave for 2 hours or so to pick up his kid from school, he asked if we would mind he would be right back! Sure enough with a smile he came back the same day fixed our whole unit. The whole time he was nice and very professional. He cleaned up after himself and was very gracious for the bottled water we gave him.

I was so so surprised, shocked and grateful to him and American general for really standing up to the plate and going to bat for us and making it look so easy throughout the whole process. I can even imagine having to pay for all that out of pocket for the repair right now with the holidays coming. All I paid was my service fee! Glad I had them doesn't quite cut it. They were godsend. I can't say enough good things about them and their staff! I will definitely be sending them a holiday card. :) Thank you guys so much for really caring. :) God bless you and I hope you can bring the same holiday joy to others just like you did with us. Thank you American general. :)

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

I have 2 investment properties that needed coverage. I contacted American General and was surprised how comfortable I felt speaking with the representative. He was very informative and he found a plan that fits my needs. I got the Combo package which covers most of the items in the property as well as the pool. He wasn't a typical sales guy ‘cause he wasn't pushy, unlike some of the other companies I have called. If you ask me, It didn't sound like he was working on commission. So I chose American General Warranty because they made me feel like they actually cared for my concerns and I'm confident I made the right choice.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

I recently placed a service call for my fridge and the process was simple and quick. Took less than 48 hours to get a repair guy out to me. The customer service rep was very nice and friendly and the best part about it was it was not time-consuming. I am a busy man and it only took 3 minutes from when I called to put the claim in. I already referred a couple of friends. Keep it up American General!

American General Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

American General Warranty is a leading home warranty company that provides coverage for homeowners. They focus on customer service with 24/7 support and clear coverage plans.

• Free quotes: By filling out some information online, consumers can get free quotes from American General Warranty to better understand their offer.

• Customized plans: Consumers can choose the appliance and services they want covered to tailor their policies to fit their needs.

• Service call fees: American General Warranty lists service call fees in case homeowners need the help of plumbers, electricians or other specialists. Depending on the consumer’s coverage, these fees can cost $45.00, $60.00 or $75.00.

• 24/7 service requests: Consumers can call American General Warranty at any time to setup a service request. Most requests can be dispatched within 24 hours.

• Blog: American General Warranty hosts a blog with home improvement tips or advice in case of problems at home.

• Best for: homeowners who want to choose their own coverage for their home warranty.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American General Warranty Company Information