2.96/5
Based on 33 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Amana Appliances

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 30, 2018

461 Amana Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I purchased an Amana Side by Side (24.9 cubic inch) in March 2017... In Dec., I noticed 2 visible cracks on both sides of the shut where ice falls to be dispensed from the freezer to outside. Also the cheap plastic on shelves & drawers has cracked. My husband & I are both in our 60's & are not rough on our appliances. The refrigerator gets opened maybe 4 times a day. A repairman came out to look & stated we were under warranty, however WHIRLPOOL refuses to fix the inside of freezer door... said it's cosmetic. NO, IT'S NOT. Even the repairman said it was defective from the factory & will continue to only get worse. WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER THING FROM THEM.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Purchased a microwave on 11/28. Had it installed on 11/29. Does not work. They would not replace. I was told I had to go through their process to order parts. Today is 12/21. Service guy came out and cannot fix. Now I have to wait for their process again for them to replace. This is terrible. Christmas is in 4 days and I'll have been a month without a microwave.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have to wait till the washer finishes to add fabric softener. So that means I use more water, and that means my bill goes up!! If I try to pause it, it stops and I have to start all over again!! That washer SUCKS!!!! And the handle on the dryer is broken!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I have had my refrig for 16 years and never had it fixed. Sometimes I don't wash the outside as often as I should but when I do it comes clean. First time no rewash. Love love love.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

My Amana side by side had continual problems with the gaskets wearing out, cracking, and failing. I had to replace them 3 times in 18 years. The ice maker never really worked successfully. Would have replaced it with a bottom freezer if I had the $$.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amana Appliances?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Great refrigerator, we have not had one problem in the eight years that we have owned our Amana side by side. The exterior has held up great especially with a move from Oklahoma back to Texas. I would definitely buy another Amana.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I used to work for Raytheon and have used Amana products for years with great success... Last Amana fridge was bought in 1995... had to replace this year so I now have a new Amana fridge and I only use Amana microwaves. Same good quality.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Bought Amana more than 18 yrs ago; moved once, never any problem. It is a huge model, bottom freezer. Brand no longer top tier but a better comparison to today's pricy, less dependable choices. Worth checking out.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

This refrigerator has been really a good one since 1993. The only complaint is that now it is falling apart. The door handle has broken apart as have some of the cabinetry inside.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Our Amana side by side is now 10 years old without a single breakdown. Keeps food and drink at the proper temperature and has plenty of room and is well laid out. Shopping often we don't tend to stuff the frig. The stainless exterior requires a bit more cleaning to keep it looking great.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

This was a counter depth side by side refrigerator and had lots of room, water and ice in the door. Glass adjustable shelves with lots of built in special compartments too. During the 23 years I had it the only thing I had to do was change out the ice maker tray. Very well made. It is still working today in someone else's kitchen.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Ice maker has had to be repaired twice. Now we just don't use it. Food keeps falling down behind shelves in the gap behind the shelves. Door does not stay open wide enough.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Amana has more than met my expectation, in function and in appearance. I have enjoyed the bottom freezer. The only exception is the quality of the handle, broke within two years.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Bought this refrigerator when we moved into our new home in 1988! It's still working very well and has caused us no trouble over the years. I don't think today's refrigerators can match this one as far as service is concerned.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

When we had purchased our house almost 2 years ago there was a fairly new and barely used Amana range. I use it all the time and never had any issues at all, also like the idea that it is self cleaning even though I hadn't used that feature as of yet but plan on it very soon.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I bought it May 26 2017. l have a lot of trouble with it. They came and put a new part in on 28th of Aug 2017 because it was freezing everything. They said that should do it. Now 2 weeks later the same thing freezing everything again. Been trying to get them to take it back. They just keep passing me to someone else. So if you are looking to purchase a fridge don't buy a Amana. They are garbage and here is the model number ART316TFDW01 so think before you buy this fridge. l bought mine at the brick and they not helping me. l'm still trying to get it replaced. It been 3weeks now and nothing is being done by the company. They just keep passing it on.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I am really upset that I have to keep resetting this machine. I have lived in my house for 16 years and the washer I had before lasted years with no problems. Then I buy a Amana washer and have had to reset it so many times. It's terrible, the warranty don't last. It's costing me more to get it fixed than it costed in the store. Now I see why it was so cheap to buy. I am so pissed. I would not refer anyone to this product. I will never buy Amana products again.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Brand new oven/range had one burner that didn't work. Called for a service call that was supposed to be sent out today and got a call an hour before they were supposed to arrive saying there was an error in the way the zip code was put in and that they don't actually service the area where I'm located. Now I'm trying to reschedule yet another service call.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Washer machine take a long time to wash. Don't know if it rinses cause it's always in wash. Have never had a problem with any other brand but this one has been the first washer that I hate. I want my money back.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Bought an Amana Refrigerator AFI2359ERM00 Dec 2015 and it crapped out 4 months after the 1 year warranty expired. Imagine that. Glad I bought the extended warranty through Home Depot! LoL since April 2017 my fridge has quit working 5 times and totally defrosted and ruined 5 fridge full of food. Fred's Appliance has been out 5 times to try to fix it and can't. It seems to break down every 3 weeks or so. Then after 2-3 days of clicking and buzzing it starts cooling again. Well the quickest they can get out is 4 days and by then it's up and running and the tech says well I pushed a few buttons and can't find anything wrong. Amana/Whirlpool has washed their hands of it because of the extended warranty I bought through HD. HD won't replace it because they claim the SAME part has to be replaced 3 times before it is considered a lemon. Been in limbo since April and it's so frustrating.

Don't waste your money on Amana. Poor quality! Even worse customer service. Same with HD. Very robotic in their responses. They are all sorry I'm having an issue, but won't take responsibility. Plus since the unit seems to break down when I'm not at home and all of the ice from the hopper melts and runs down the front of the fridge all over the floor. Now it has ruined my hardwood floor all around the unit. What a POS.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I recently moved into a new apartment and the washer and dryer had already been used by the previous tenants. I used the washer with a small load on a cold cycle, and when the load was finished, my clothes were still DRY! Some of the clothes had wet spots but for the most part, my clothes looked like someone just splashed water on them. I had to redo the cycle on a larger load setting. My clothes came out FULL of someone else's lint.

The dryer. Ohhh, the dryer. I then place my linty clothes in the dryer to see if they will be removed. I do a full 60 minute cycle. I open up the dryer when it is finished and my load is warm, but still damp! After 60 minutes on hot! I have to run the dryer 4 TIMES to dry a load of laundry. Needless to say, the landlord was called and he is replacing, but God, please don't let him buy another set of Amana washer and dryer. Please!!!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I bought an Amana stove 2 years ago. It has been in service 5 times within the last year. The temperature control board keeps messing up. Called customer service. They said to reset it. Which I had to do 3 times and still couldn't finish making dinner. It was last fixed in November and it's out again. They really don't care. Told me buy extra warranty for 400$. REALLY!!! Let's just say my response was not nice. I told them since they didn't care I would let people know about my bad experience and terrible product, she hung up on me. Now I have a useless stove because it cost just as much to fix it than what I paid for it. I would never recommend this company or product to anyone.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I just had the absolute most horrendous experience with an over the phone customer service rep. My husband and I are having trouble with our AC unit, we got transferred to the portable unit section of customer service. When the man answered the phone, we gave my husband’s name, we said only the words, "We are having trouble with-", the rep cut us off (he did not state his name), he said it is a Maytag unit and he cannot help us.

It does not say Maytag anywhere on our unit, so we tried to explain which unit we have and before we could even offer up the serial or model numbers, the man began raising his voice, nearly shouting, "You don't know what you're talking, that's a Maytag unit, we don't do that, I won't help you, I won't help you!" And again the man did not give his name, he mostly just yelled at us, so we hung up the phone. I have never encountered someone so rude, so impatient and so incredibly unprofessional in all of my life. Based on this encounter, we will never be contacting Amana again, and it's pretty safe to say that we will never purchase with this company again, and highly encourage anyone we know to steer clear.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I have had a new top load HE washer now for just a few months and I regret I ever bought them. List of problems: (1) This will be the 3rd service call in just a few months. (2) NO SOFTENER DISPENSER, what rocket scientist would design a washer without a softener dispenser??? It's not like it would cost anymore to the company! You have to either stop the machine right when it’s filling up for a rinse cycle or...buy a softener ball which stains clothes and does an ineffective job at best! (3) My electric bill has not dropped one penny, do not tell me that these machines are more efficient, that's just politics, so that congress can say they are being more environmentally safe! HE (high efficiency) is not true!!!

(4) The washer does a terrible job of cleaning clothes. It does NOT agitate properly, it just winds back and forth a little and makes a weird little noise. My old washer (Kenmore) was a superior product and I wish I had never got rid of it... If you own an Amana top load, just wash your clothes in deep water, so they at least wash better. (5) This is our 3rd service call as I said in the beginning in just a few months, the first 2 service calls were with the dryer and this one is for the washer. The motherboard is bad in the head of the unit. Buyer beware, these are not old time washers that you could open up any time or adjust water levels during the operation or just open up anytime you wanted to add clothes or more soap... No... These are very sensitive electronics that have issues when the washer process is disturbed in any way!!!

(6) This is the way you have to treat these washer, pay attention... Open up lid, add soap, put clothes or whatever your washing on sticky soap. Add softener ball if you (unknowingly) bought a washer without a softening dispenser. That was us... Never buy from ad in paper, go see it, who knew washers are now made WITHOUT softener Dispensers!!! Then close lid and set settings from left to right and hit start program button. The reason I said program button (Start) is because these junk washers are now like cyborgs, part computer with junk electronic boards as electronics to control functions and operations of a washer which are just basic.

After you do that, do NOT disturb in any way! Otherwise YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS AND REGRET YOU EVER BOUGHT THIS PIECE OF JUNK. Resetting only works so many times when it does have problems. I bought this from a local vendor through a sale paper ad. The vendor is not the problem, this is a Amana Corporate issue. Shame on you Amana, I will never buy a Amana product again... Trying to reinvent the wheel?

Original review: June 17, 2017

I just bought a Amana top loader washer a few weeks. So far it is doing a great job. Two years ago I spent over $2000.00 on a Maytag Bravos washer and dryer. After two years the washer started to sound like a jetliner taking off. I called Maytag and it would cost over $400.00 to repair. I did a lot of research on this and found that most the washer do this. I think Maytag should do a recall on them due to a default in the design of the washer. Until then I will stick with the Amana which is made by the same company. How funny.

Original review: June 15, 2017

When there were manual controls, you could set a machine to do what you want and leave, knowing the wash cycle that you selected, regardless of your reasons, would do what you asked and come back knowing it was done. With the electronic controls, I must fight with the stupid machine to get it to rinse or spin as needed, fill as required, or whatever (wash really dirty gardening clothes well or wash hockey equipment). The automatic settings get it wrong regularly. Very frustrating.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I purchased an Amana Side by Side refrigerator in November 2017 and the freezer quit working after 4 months. Service Technician came out to repair and said that the workmanship involved at the factory was awful and he had to replace coils/condensing unit. Needless to say the next day the refrigerator and the freezer quit working. Another service company came out a week later and said that the first company did very poor work and they were to blame for the new problem. Needless to say they had to take refrigerator to their shop to break it totally down to find out all that is wrong.

Called Amana customer service to request a brand new refrigerator only to be told NO! Without a refrigerator for three weeks and counting! Is this acceptable? Ask Amana and they will say yes! NEVER BUY AN AMANA unless this is what you want. Thanks AMANA. I hope your business survives because with this type of service I know my company would not last very long and I do not think yours will either.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I bought a washer and dryer in Irwin at Rosendahl's. The first time I used it, it would not work on rinse. The motor would just hum. Called where I bought. Said out of his hands to call Amana. I did. They blamed it on water pressure which I thought was bs. Then I filled up with water with bucket. Then it still would not work on rinse. Called them again. They said they replaced some parts. Took 20 min and they're gone. They never checked at any time when they said it was fixed. They never ran a cycle ever. I said if it works on wash there's something wrong. They just bide time till warranty runs out.

Now I'm on a fixed income. It took me 2 and a half years to save for the pair. I'm just disgusted at the way I was treated and they don't care they got their money. I tried to add the water for rinse. It just drains out but I have always had to add water to wash because the clothes were always dry on the top. My clothes come out with detergent on then after it's done because it never ever has rinsed. DO NOT BUY AMANA ESPECIALLY ONE WITH NO WATER SETTING ENERGY EFFICIENT ONES. THEY DO NOT WORK. I'm stuck with it. I live in a trailer which is small and I go to Laundromat. Dryer works great again. DO NOT buy.

Original review: May 9, 2017

Amana Washer NTW4516F - If I could give Zero or negative I would. This is the MOST awful service I have ever had anywhere, and I am 65 years old and have lived on 3 continents and 4 countries. Awful washer, awful service. The washer blew up with electric sparks all over the place after 3 weeks - could've electrocuted the lady of the house! Now we are coming up on 4 weeks later and the repair is STILL NOT COMPLETE. I get a lot of sympathy but no action. The local service company never did respond to any follow up, or messages left on their god-awful phone system, and now we have to wait another week to get a second service company in there. Amana never offered to compensate for having to go to the laundromat for a month, or replace their crummy machine.

Original review: May 7, 2017

MOD:NTW4605EW0 Type: 587-20 - This product is the worst I have ever used. My Husband and I are in our late 50 on a fixed income and recent stem cell survivor. We had to save for this for months to buy this washer. Now knowing it would not have been the top of the line, you still have a reasonable expectation that your laundry will be cleaned. That's not the case with this washer. I have taken items out of the washer that never hit water, and still soiled. You can't make any adjustment to the water level, the agitator is very ineffective and sound as the whole thing is a strain to do a basic task.

I have bought Amana in the past and had no regrets until now. That is unacceptable for misleading the public that this is a washer. It truly just an oversize hamper. If this sounds like I am not happy with this product. Then sorry to say YES I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THIS PRODUCT! When you pay $250-$300 you expect it to at the very least to clean your laundry!

Amana Appliances expert review by Jonathan Trout

Amana has been making affordable appliances for cooking, cleaning, heating and cooling for over 80 years. Their line of freezers includes upright or wide designs that range in price from $229 to $649. Capacities range from 5.3 cubic feet to 16 cubic feet.

• Compact chest freezers: Compact chest freezers range in size from 5.3 to 9.0 cubic feet. You can choose from features like rollers for easy movement or multiple baskets for different storage solutions. Prices for compact chest freezers are $269 to $349.

• Chest freezers: Amana’s standard chest freezer is 15 cubic feet and comes with two baskets for easy-access storage. The standard chest freezer costs $549 and comes with a 1-year limited warranty on parts and labor.

• Upright freezers: Amana’s upright freezer has a 16 cubic foot capacity and comes with energy-saving insulation. Its system prevents ice build up, eliminating the need to defrost the freezer. The upright freezer costs $649.

• DeepFreeze Technology: Amana’s DeepFreeze Technology cools the freezer down to negative 8 degrees.

• Fast Freeze Option: Some Amana freezers let you chill large amounts of food quickly. The Fast Freeze Option lets you drive your freezer’s temperature down 10 degrees colder than the lowest setting with the push of a button.

• Best for: consumers wanting multiple size options in a freezer.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Amana Appliances Company Information

www.amana.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use