Alure Home Improvements
Looking for a kitchen remodeling company?

East Meadow, NY

Last updated: April 16, 2018

3 Alure Home Improvements Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 16, 2018

Alure Home Improvement was a big disappointment. After what was a great sales pitch by their smooth tongue talking salesman, what was delivered was less than what was promised. The quality work and product was substandard. I purchased the $45K package which was overpriced to begin with for it did not include any appliances, painting, flooring or electrical work. The demolition went without a hitch but the project became a nightmare from thereon. The guys who did the plastering made a mess of my ceiling I had to pay out my pocket to get it corrected. The cabinet installers [most likely sub-contractors, giving Alure the benefit of the doubt] were the most unprofessional bunch of people you could ever let into your house. The installation of the cabinets was poorly done.

These guys used bagasse board as crown molding and tried to sell that to me as the finish product. There were so much exposed nail holes, scratches, and uneven joints that required me waiting weeks for them to reorder materials to correct the matter. As to the quality of the cabinets, please pay attention to their sales pitch. If they tell you that the cabinet doors expand and contract according to the heating or cold cycle, please do not purchase unless they have rectified the problem or change the manufacturer. During the heating season the doors did expand and exposed the unpainted areas which was unsightly to look at. I have had my cabinet doors (26) change three times within 5 months for one reason or another.

Another thing is some of the cabinet facings are not finished furniture quality wood but rough untreated wood. Overall I would not recommend this company. During the process I frequently took pictures of my cabinets and visited my local Lowe's and Home Depot stores to make comparison and saw no difference; in fact their kitchen cabinets looked better for a whole lot less. One good thing about Alure is while I can't recommend them on the quality cabinets and workmanship, their 5 years guaranteed warranty and quick response to my emails and phone calls are commendable.

Original review: April 8, 2011

Alure redid our main floor bathroom, but they did not install the new shower head properly. Therefore, whenever we turned the shower on, water would stream down inside the wall into our basement. Our basement had carpet on top of tile on the floor and it was completely ruined in our two basement rooms (approximately 400 square feet). The tile came unglued and the carpet and backing stank to high heaven. It took us days to empty it all out of the house.

Because we didn't know exactly where the water was coming from, it took us some time to figure out what was happening. The water would just "be there" when we came downstairs each night. But one afternoon, my husband happened to shower a second time while I was downstairs and I discovered the culprit.

I wouldn't mind this mistake so much if Alure had just worked with us right away to fix the basement damage in addition to replacing the shower valve. Instead, they gave us the runaround. They were not answering our calls or returning our messages for weeks on end.

When they finally did get back to us, they started by offering $500 to have us on our own replace all of the damage to our home. That amount would not even cover a cheap Home Depot-type tile on the floor!

Then, they offered to have someone install new tile and carpet for us. That subcontractor, however, did a crappy job and we had to redo their work. I'll be happy to share my photos of the damage they caused and left us with for 4 months.

So, all in all, it was like pulling teeth to get Alure to answer our phone calls and have them repair the damage—and even that was not done properly. My husband and I had to redo the basement, which involved taking down the panel walls and removing the insulation, taking up the rest of the floor tiles, and taking up the rest of the carpet. We had to replace the floor, replace the insulation, and put up new walls. We also lost a ton of time doing this extra work. We hate Alure. They stink. Plain and simple.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 19, 2011

Alure had a year to finish the job and/or return phone calls. Hell hath no fury like a family scammed by Alure. Fasten your seat belts folks, we will keep you posted. A Big anti-Alure media blitz on TV is about to unfold. Watch local news channels on their consumer issues.

Alure does lots of self promotion to offset all the negative reviews. Stay far away from this overpriced arrogant company. They took our money and walked off the job.

Alure Home Improvements expert review by Joseph Truini

Alure was founded in 1946 and is still a family-owned company serving the Long Island, New York, and Metro New York City areas.

• Financing: Alure helps consumers obtain financing for home-remodeling projects. An easy-to-use link on the company website simplifies the application process.

• Projects near you: A virtual map on the website shows the location of projects the company has completed in your area. You can sort the map by project type.

• 10-day kitchen: Consumers who are not removing walls or changing the layout of their kitchen may be able to have a remodeled kitchen in 10 days with this full-service option.

• Showroom: The company showroom has full-size room and product displays. A video link on the company’s website also provides a tour of the showroom.

• Other services: Alure is a full-service contracting firm that designs and builds kitchens, baths, sunrooms, as well as installs windows, siding, tub liners and roofing.

• Best for: Homeowners and home kitchen designers looking for a full-service remodeling company.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Alure Home Improvements Company Information