4.0/5 (499 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2007

Miss Sandoval came to my office and told me all about the benefits of purchasing or leasing one of their surveillance cameras. She said how by installing one of her systems we would be protected against theft. She said that the advantage of the system she was offering is on how ADT monitors the system from their main office. I decided to lease a system.

The day of installation came. The installer learned at that time that our office telephone system was surviced through Vonage. He did express some concern but said that he could make it work somehow or another. He assured me that the monitoring would work. In his attempt he cut some wires and re-wired some and said there it's all done.

When he left I discovered that my Hi-speed connection and my vonage telephone system was not working. I immediately called Miss Salazar but recieved a message, I further called the office and told them what had happened. they finally gave the phone number of the installer and I was able to contact him. He said he would not be able to come back to my office untill the following day. I asked what he had done with the cutting and splicing and also told him what had happened. He said, I guess what I did, did not work.

He instructed me over the cell-phone on what to do to reverse it. After I finally restored my phone and Hi-speed internet I called miss Salazar to explain to her that I needed the system to be un-installed because it was not working in its intended way, etc. She returned my call and said, we can un-install it but that I would still be liable under the contract and all money and service would be forfeited ($1076.00), yet I would still be charged for all monthly service fees.

Naturally I disagreed. She said she would contact her supervisor and have him contact me. He never did.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2007

We are in dispute with ADT Security Services. We had terminated their services in May, 2006. They insist we owe for early cancellation of a contract prior to its expiration date and want $664.03. We were never contacted about this matter prior to its being turned over to a collection agency. Our company began service with ADT in October 2000.

After almost seven years I am unable to locate a copy of the original agreement in our files, but I highly doubt it was that long term. I have repeatedly requested back up documentation. My requests have been ignored.

I have written directly to the president of ADT Security Services, Inc. in Pleasanton, CA and even brought this matter to the attention of David E. Robinson, President of Tyco Fire & Security, Tyco International (US) Inc. which is the parent company of ADT. No response. I have been dealing with their collection agency for almost a year. Today I received a letter from a new collection agency after having no response to my last letter on April 5, 2007. This prompted me to do a little ADT research on the web.

My research took me to https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/adt.htm

I was appalled by the litany of consumer complains about ADT. Apparently our experience is not uncommon. In retrospect with the amount of time I have put into trying to resolve this issue it probably would have been cheaper just to pay them. It would appear that this is their modus operandi. Harass and harass and harass until youll just give up and pay.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2007

I have not have services with ADT for approximately 2 years. They are accessing my checking account and as late as September 25, 2007 withdrew $385.07 from my checking account.

This is not the first time they have taken money from my account. I do not know what to do. I removed their equipment from my home. I do not have their services, yet I continue to be billed. I have another alarm system. I have asked them to stop accessing my account and they threatened me, over the phone. Please help.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2007

I have had ADT service for over 2 years, and it has only worked for about half of that time. According to FCC rules they had to come and change from analog to digital at my cost. this began last week, 10/22/07. They were to come between 8-noon that day. I called at 11:30 to find out the whereabouts of the technician only to be met with sarcasm and resistance. I hung up and called back at noon, when no one showed up and demanded to speak with a supervisor. It took at least 5 minutes of insisting to get one on the phone at which time I refused to pay the $199 for this upgrade that the government had required. After 10 minutes of explaining my complete dissatisfaction with their lack of service, they agreed to waive the charges. I then had to re-schedule, having wasted a complete morning of my time.

We had other calls, appointments scheduled, only to have more no-shows and extended waits on the phone--one for over 45 minutes, being forwarded to 5 different departments and having to explain my situation 5 times. I demanded reimbursement for the past 3 months in which I was NOT able to activate my system due to the issues with the window alarms in my daughter's room.

Because I was so insistent, I do not have financial losses, but their customer service and their poor quality of service is being reported.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2007

About 6 months into our 2-year ADT contract, we realized it was nearly worthless. We left the house one day and forgot our dog was running around indoors. We set the system to "away", and the motion sensors activated because of the dog. About 3 hours after the activated alarm, a police officer rang the doorbell. He asked if everything was okay. I said yes; he left. How much more worthless can our security system be?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2007

I purchased a small business in May 2005, taking over a lease from the previous owner (a family member). The business had a security system with ADT so as the new owner I contacted ADT to have the service transferred to my business name. Unfortunately, I failed to read the very very very fine print involving a five year contract.

I made it clear I wanted to maintain the existing contract due to the fact the remaining time on the lease was about 15 months. The rep. from ADT advised me this was NO PROBLEM but stated I needed to sign the contract to reflect the new business.

A new owner purchased the building and decided he wanted to change the building from residential/commercial to 100% residential (condos). Per the ADT contract if you are able to get the new tenant to continue with ADT you can end your contract without having to buy out the remaining contract, however this building was being gutted.

I am stuck with a $ 1387.18 payoff bill from this company. I realize I should have read the fine print before signing this document, but I felt the rep was steering me in the right direction. I have paid more to ADT since I closed my business than when my business was open.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2007

We just found out that for the last three years that we have been paying for our home security system, ADT was not receiving any signals from our home. Therefore our home has been unprotected for three years. Back in July of 2004 we changed our phone system to an online service. I gave ADT the new number (since they have it on record) and didn't think anything else about it. This past February our alarm went off and we called 911. With the cops surrounding our home, I called ADT and was told that all was normal and that they would send out a technician. The tech came and replaced a couple of batteries and charged us $152 for 30 minutes. We recently had work done on our home and needed sensors replaced. The tech came today and told us that we have not been connected to ADT for the past 3 years. ADT claims that we should have told them about our phone change (which I did) and that they ran a test on the system. However, how could they run a test on a system that is not hooked up? They told us that everything has been normal for the last three years. Yet we are not even connected. They had no answer for that. Every time I have called them with problems not once have they told us that we are not connected. Yet they have continued to bill us and cash the check. I think everyone that has ADT and has recently changed their phone plan or are thinking of changing, should know that they run the risk of having absolutely no protection for their homes or families with ADT. ADT will not tell you that your connection has failed, but will continue to collect your money.

ADT is only willing to refund us one years service fees. This is completely unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2007

Suddenly got a notification that my payment schedule was being changed from 1 month in advance to 2 months in advance. Returned bill with instructions to cancel monitoring service. Was contacted by telephone thanking me for my custom but advising me of a 30 day cancellation requirement. Agreed as reasonable to 30 days from my date of cancellation. Got a demand for payment of the 3 months billing. Then got a corrected bill impossible to figure for more.

Got another corrected bill for 3 months minus credits for 1.5 months. plus $100 contract termination. Got notice from collection company demanding payment. notified collection agency, account was in dispute and that the credit should have bee 2 months and the $100 was invalid as the contract had been negated by ADT by changing payment requirements unilaterally.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2007

Received letter that we needed to upgrade our cellular signal or lose communication - got stood up twice, 3rd guy showed up and wanted to put a huge unit in our living room. Said he would have to get with his local service manager to figure out what to do. That was August 25. Today is Sept 28 and we still can not get anyone to call us back.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2007

Glass break alarm at 6:48 a.m. 9/24/07. ADT alleged they called Pontiac Police Dept. but could not get answer. ADT tells me they are given a secret phone number by which to contact the police when burglar alarms go off. I verified w/Pontiac Police this is not true, all dept. numbers are public and ADT should have tried 911 and they would have responded. ADT also called my next door neighbor who did investigate the problem.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2007

On 6/7/07, a deposit of $800 was paid to ADT for the installation of two more security cameras. ADT quickly accepted the money, but two weeks later informed us that they would not actually do the job, that it was impossible. We requested a full deposit refund and were told that it would not be a problem. In the meantime, we found a company to do the installation (which was obviously quite possible).

In August, we were finally connected to a manager who assured us that there had been a problem getting the check to us, but it was taken care of and should be coming soon. For over 3 months, ADT has held our $800.

Original review: July 25, 2007

Bought my house a year ago with ADT already installed. Contacted other dealers but initial cost was more than I wanted to pay. Contacted ADT and asked specifically about length of contract. Was told this was month to month. Didn't see anything on the front of the contract about any length of time.

After a year of not really using the system, I decided to cancel and was told for the first time that this was a three year contract and was in the print on the back.

Since I am in the second year, I was told I would have to pay $100. These people are very deceptive and I would never sign up with them again.

Original review: July 19, 2007

I used the ADT security system on my house for 3 years. I rented the house the last year and when the tenants left the house in June I called to suspend the service. They canceled it and I was told that I had a credit for that month because they charged me already (automatic withdrawal).

On July 5, ADT company charged me again. I called many times and they said I had a credit and that the account is canceled. What I don't understand is if they suspended the service on June, why do I owe them part of July?

Original review: July 19, 2007

My daughter had a contract with ADT in 2004. On 1/22/07 she sent a letter of cancellation, with a check for $145.36 (the final 4 month's payments at $36.34 per month) to terminate a 3 year contract. The final check was cashed by ADT in February 2007.

They sent her account to a collection agency, Collect Tech System, stating that my daughter owed $77 for a contract that was never cancelled. She is now being harassed by several calls from this credit agency. They refuse to listen to any of the documented facts that she has, nor can she receive any satisfaction from ADT after trying to contact them several times.

ADT has tried repeatedly to withdraw additional funds from a closed bank account, well after the cancellation date.

Original review: June 27, 2007

On May 21st 2007, we contacted ADT Security Services regarding an installation of Surveillance System and Burglar Alarm System. During last month we have been lied to regarding the capabilities of the surveillance system, we were also lied to that the first 4 months we will not be charged for the monthly Burglar Alarm Services. The surveillance system does not work!

We had two technicians in our house and both lied to us further more, first tech told us that the reason it does not work it is because this unit was USED. The second tech came to the house, promised us to correct the situation by installing a DVR - They lied to us initially regarding the capabilities of the surveillance system to be able record the movements of objects also that we will not need a DVR and all the info will be available on the Internet?

They charged our credit account for $800.00 without authorization and completion of work.

Original review: June 21, 2007

Two men came to our house and were selling home security. I was not home and my husband said they would have to talk to me. After I came home from work, they showed up at my front door. I kept telling them I was not interested and then they asked if they could just tell us about it as they would be paid for it. I let them in. After quite some time of telling us we would get $1500 worth of free equipment and the service that was $39.95 would be around $25 to $28 a month because our insurance would give us a discount we finally agreed to take their monitor service of Burglary, Police, Fire, and Medical. They were to install it the following Thursday.

On Tuesday my husband called our Insurance and they said they don't give that discount. When I got home, I called Ridley and told him we didn't want it he said to let him call his boss. The owner called me and said he would give it to me for $29.95, which is the employee discount and rather keep arguing I said Ok. On Thurs when the guy came out to install the service my husband called me at work and said they wanted him to sign for $39.95 and I said no so when he got things installed and was telling my husband about everything my husband called me at work to say we don't get a smoke detector.

I called Ridley back and asked him how would they know if my house was on fire, he said I would have to push the button on the main panel. I again asked him, how would you know if I wasn't home my house was on fire and he said he would have to call his boss. I told him I was never given what I was told I would get and this was to much hassle to not even have started the service yet and I didn't want it. He told me I had a contract to keep. He started yelling and I hung up on him. He called right back and told my husband he would give him the $300 smoke detector for $50 and my husband said ok just to get this over with.

That was on Thurs 6/7/07. We had not heard from anyone by Sat. 6/9/07 so I called Ridley and he said he would get with his boss. That's the last we've heard from anyone Except for the bill be got the following week for $165.22.

Original review: June 12, 2007

We encountered a lightning strike that caused the system to sound off. While placing my 4th call to ADT and them not be able to locate our account by phone number, we finally reached someone at ADT that could walk us through the system shut down. For days after this I tried to speak with someone regarding repair and found that, 1) even though we had been customers for 10 years and never even 1 day late with fee payment they could not bill us 30 days net for service and b) every time we called they could not locate our account .

Finally, got a supervisor who stated that yes, we could have the repair billed, but service person may refuse work - so my understanding was that this must be an independent contractor - right? ADT stated no - but he may refuse to do work. 10 years - loyal customer - never asked for any upgrade or anything - finally have an alarm go off - of which they should have seen and called us - BUT NO - guess they do not want to retain business - we are switching. Oh, by the way - they offer new system special at $ 399.00, with discount and contract - cost is $ 99.00, my service call was $ 461.00.

Original review: May 15, 2007

I think ADT is a complete scam. My alarm didn't work properly from day 1. Yes, I had a technician come to the house and I honestly knew more about the system than he did. He did not fix the problem.

I tried to cancel the contract and was told to pay a fee of $128.50 in order to do so. I complied. However, I kept receiving bills from ADT. It turns out that it never got cancelled.

When I called to cancel, for the second time, I was told I had to pay those bills and a cancellation fee of $220.25. I wrote a letter and got one bill credited. I was still unable to cancel.

This month my contract is up and I still had to fight with two people in order to cancel the service!

Original review: May 12, 2007

I have residential alarm service through ADT. On 03/01/07 I had a service call to replace a broken door sensor. I paid the technician by check and received a receipt. Since then I have received two invoices from ADT, for different amounts, for that date of service.

I have spoken to the Customer Service and Billing Depts several times without success. They make up stories to explain the differing amounts. Their rep also told me that it takes them 4-6 weeks to post checks to customer accounts!

I told them the check had cleared my bank and was asked to fax front/back copies of the check. This has been done twice, despite transmission verification. After the second fax was sent I spoke to a supervisor who confirmed she had received it and that she would take care of the situation. That was two weeks ago.

I am still receiving ADT computer generated phone calls telling me I need to call them again about this delinquent account.

Original review: April 23, 2007

We had a pushy dealership sales call that promised we could get out of the contract if we moved. my family are moving to Greece and I needed to cancel. First, they refused to cancel saying that I couldn't stop the contract. I told them I was willing to pay the cancellation. They insisted that I had to get the new homeowners once our house sold to take over the contract. When I finally (hours and hours on the phone) got them to understand that I was not going to do that and I just would pay the penalty, they realized that it was my husband's name on the contract. So, I would have to have him call.

I informed them that he was out of the country but I had a full, durable power of attorney. First, they said that they did not honor power of attorney contracts. Then, again after hours and hours, they admitted that they would honor the power of attorney but I would need to fax it over with a letter from him. Again, I explained that he was in Greece and I was in Florida with the power of attorney. I could have each of us send a fax but I couldn't do both. Then, they just wanted to talk to him. I told them that I needed a direct phone number (1-800 numbers do not work internationally) and they said that they don't have any direct lines and couldn't give a number.

On a side note, the system is awful and I only used it twice in the entire 2 years! Despite their charts of the horrible crime wave, I found my new neighborhood to be quite friendly and safe and tended to keep my doors unlocked during the day.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2006

I recently purchased and moved into a newly built home in a new sub-development. Since I moved in, ADT has been making unsolicited sales calls to my house once a week at 7:00 PM. The first few times I told the ADT Sales person I was not interested. On 10/24/2006, I told the sales person that showed up that I have repeatedly told them that I am not interested in their services and I would like them to stop bothering me. The sales person said, "You'll be sorry" as he walked away.

In the morning, I found a "secured by ADT" sticker on my car with the following written across the back of it in large green letters, "*******!" When I got to work, I called ADT and was put in touch with someone at 561-988-3600. From what I was told, the person who came to my door was not an ADT employee, but was an Authorized Dealer. Upon further questioning, I found out that ADT does not screen any of their sales people for criminal backgrounds.

This is quite scary considering these people are gaining access to neighborhoods and homes under the pretext of selling security. I have already called the Lathrop, CA police department and will be filing out a complaint directed towards ADT for harassment and threats.

I am now in fear that my house will be vandalized or broken into by someone from ADT.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2006

My home was burglarized about a year ago. I had an ADT security system, but the thieves were able to disarm the security system within seconds--before the signal ever reached ADT's monitoring system.

When the police came to my home, they felt ADT bore some responsibility, and my insurance company thought so as well. But when I wrote to ADT about it, their response basically was 'We don't know if your home was actually burglarized, and if it was, so what--that's what you have insurance for. We will vigorously defend any lawsuit you file'.

I have a police report and pictures (which I sent them) showing the disarmed alarm system, the broken window, etc., and they insinuate that I was lying about my home being burglarized! Not only was my home burglarized, but the fact that the burglars knew exactly what to do to disarm the system tells me that this definitely was not their first time.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2006

Less than 2 months we purchased a home security system. On 10/13/06, the home alarm system went haywire - sounded continously even as the 4 digit security code was entered. The alarm system deactivated home phone land line, as alarm continued to sound, so we contacted ADT via cell phone. We were told that for a service person to come out it would cost $200 per hour (even though system was continously malfunctioning-alarm sounding).

ADT instructed us to turn off the alarm system, which deactivated the security system, and stated they would not be responsible for any security breeches during this time.

We were also told that a service person would not be available until Tuesday (this occured early Friday evening).

Original review: Sept. 26, 2006

An ADT rep came to my house on a referral from a co-worker that would get a $100 referal fee, if I signed up. The ADT rep, said he would give me a good rate of $45 a month, and before I could say "no" he lowered the price to $34.99. I thought that was reasonable and I would try them out. BUT no where did he mention that I would be stuck in a 3 year contract.

When I called ADT to cancel I found out that I would have to pay 75% of 3 yr contract. News to me, that would add up to $473.

ADT customer service, said they could not do anything for me, either pay each month or eat the cost of 473. Very Shady Company!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2006

On numerous occassions we have tried to contact ADT Security Service (as late as 7-31-2006) with no response in regard to our residential home alarm system because we have NOT received a bill or statement since April, 06.

On July, 06 we attempted to make a payment via phone to ADT, but their system would not take the payment.

We have received a penality citation notice from the City of Dallas, because we have not been able to prove we have alarm coverage.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2006

In November 2004, I had an ADT rep install an alarm with cell phone uplink, 5 door alarms for $650 with monthly monitoring for 3 years. Intially monitoring was $39.95 now it's $46.00. Grand total about $2200 after 3 years-A very bad deal. There are many wireless systems that monitor call themselves for < $400 Total. Be wise shop around.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2006

I tried to stop services with ADT 2-3 times but learned my contract was over June 30,2006. Sent letter June 2006 to end services. Didn't send it timely this time, 30 days prior. I notified two prior times I wanted to stop, they wouldn't accept my request. Wasn't told I needed a thirty day notice in May 06, was told to read it on contract. However, I tried to stop service two previous times oral and written, before June 06. Surpervisor asked did I get a confirmation number for earlier request. No, I waited until contract was due to expire. ADT turned off service as requested but still billed me $326.93

I spoke to three different people who gave me three different options. One operator told me she'd write on my request that I had requested termination previously and that there should not be a problem. However, the super (Tylanda) said read contract. I understood notice was needed, but I gave an early notice by several months and was told to wait til end of June. Not told, send a letter again in May 06. Although the contract says 30 days, I gave more than two notices, each in writing months earlier. They just refuse to accept my earlier request without a confirmation number. I paid on time and completed terms of contract. The first operation never said a confirmation number was even available.

Original review: July 31, 2006

Our contract ran out and we were on a month-to-month plan. We cancelled and they charged us for the next quarter anyway.

I called them and asked if they had the date I canceled. They said March 26th. I asked if they bill for services in advance, and they said yes. So I asked, "then why I was being billed for april, may and june when their system says I cancelled in March?" All of a sudden he says "... well... uh, I mean with YOUR account we bill RETRO, meaning the charge on your card is for Jan-Mar".

I don't think so! I've done 3 chargebacks on my amex and each time ADT tells a different story. The last one saying that we didn't cancel until May 26th.

Amex credited my account and said that they would seek retribution from them as it was obvious they were changing the story each time.

Original review: May 17, 2006

Terrible service! Only recieved $100 rebate after constantly calling and asking for it. Actually never got it, ADT just decided not to charge me for 3 months.

I tried to cancel service and was charged pro-rated amount for the next month because of so called 30-day notice. Never was told it was a 3-year contract, was told by ADT representative that it was a 2-year contract with cancellation fee of $200.

Overall sorry service and poor communication.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2006

So what good is the do-not-call list if alleged non-profits can team up with commercial enterprises? And then the commercial enterprise can call you (even if you're on the list) and tell you non-profits are exempt from the DNC list regulations? This totally astounded me.

The gentleman calls to say he's with the Children's Relief Fund, and don't worry, we're not looking for donations. The sigh of relief is short-lived as he proceeds to tell me they're working with ADT home security. When I said I was on the DNC list, he tells me non-profits are exempt from it.

While I fear this is legal -- it's not right! Until someone steps up and makes non-profits accountable to the DNC list, this is the kind of garbage we can expect. I'm writing my congressman next!

ADT Company Information