4.0/5 (496 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

Top ADT Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

ADT's customer service is great. My understanding of what I was getting was awesome. I like the security of knowing my house and personal belongings are protected. Also, the addit...

Verified

… Having the system makes me feel more secure in my own home because you don't know what's going to happen. I like it good and I'm happy with ADT. The cameras were not in the pack...

How does ADT work?

Once you activate your ADT alarm system, it can report a notification, such as a crossed motion sensor, in any monitored zone within your home. If a sensor triggers, the system transmits a signal through a landline or cellular connection. ADT monitoring centers receive this alert and begin coordinating a response until the threat is over.

You can arm ADT home security systems either directly on the control panel or through the ADT app, ADT Control. ADT Control gives you instant alerts of activity, access to live video footage and control over your entire system, including smart locks, smart lighting, climate control and your security devices.

With the ADT SoSecure app, users can alert family or friends of their location or send an SOS for emergency response.

Monitoring requires a three-year agreement, and termination fees apply for breaking a contract.

If you like the idea of professional monitoring but don’t want to sign a contract, check out Blue by ADT, a DIY option.

ADT prices

Monthly costs for ADT home security packages range from $28.99 per month to $57.99 per month. Equipment costs range from $599 to $1,049. If you don’t want to pay upfront, financing costs from $9.98 to $17.48 per month for 60 months. Installation fees range from $99 to $199.

You can choose from several ADT home security system packages, including:

• Essentials: For around $36 per month, you get three window and door sensors, an infrared motion detector and 24/7 professional alarm monitoring.
  • Total Protection: For around $44 per month, you get everything included in the Essentials package plus Safewatch Cellguard, which lets you connect the system through a landline.
  • Premium Protection: For about $56 a month, you receive everything in the other packages plus ADT Pulse, which includes home automation. You can monitor and manage the system and smart devices through the app.

For more, see how costs compare for ADT vs. Vector, ADT vs. Xfinity, ADT vs. Cove and ADT vs. Guardian Protection.

ADT equipment and technology

ADT customers can customize their home security packages with additional equipment. Some of ADT’s most popular home security equipment options include:

• Wireless keychain remotes: The ADT key fob is a convenient, one-touch system that lets you arm or disarm your home security system. This device features simple, easy-to-understand icons that help reduce false alarms. The remote also includes a panic button that communicates with ADT and local emergency services.
  • Entryway contacts: These sensors detect when someone opens a door or window while your system is armed and alert you via text message.
  • Security cameras: ADT security cameras come in both indoor and outdoor configurations. The indoor cameras work in low-light conditions and provide live or recorded video, which lets you check in on your family or pets. The outdoor cameras send clips automatically when they detect motion and work well even in low-light conditions or adverse weather like rain or snow.
  • Google Nest Doorbell: ADT uses the Google Nest Doorbell, which lets you answer your doorbell from virtually anywhere. Whether you’re home or away, the video doorbell function on the ADT mobile app lets you view who is on your front porch in real time. These devices feature clear, high-definition video with dewarping technology and two-way audio.

ADT security FAQ

How long does it take ADT to install?
ADT offers quick, professional installation to ensure your equipment is set up properly. Depending on the size of your home, it could take less than an hour. Larger homes could take a little longer. Here’s what you can expect from the installation process:
  1. To prepare for your ADT home security installation, ensure your home has power, a working phone line or Wi-Fi connection and accessible outlets near potential camera locations.
  2. On the day of the installation, technicians arrive to set up your system. For hard-wired setups, installers run wires through the home to each device and sensor, including all door, window and motion sensors.
  3. The technician will walk you through how to use your ADT home security system so you’re confident you’re using everything correctly.
  4. Once the equipment is in place, personalize your protection with customized alerts, video monitoring and emergency alarms.

Professional ADT installation costs start at $99 and vary based on the monitoring package, equipment and features you select. ADT offers a 90-day warranty following the installation. During that time, any necessary service comes at no charge.

Can I add cameras to my ADT system?
Yes, ADT offers indoor and outdoor camera options. You can view camera footage live if you want to check on your home or office.

You can add cameras to your ADT system as long as you have ADT Pulse. If you don't have a plan that supports cameras, you need to upgrade your service. You must add cameras one at a time, but your security system can support up to 10 cameras at any given time.

Video monitoring rates vary per month depending on the plan you select.

Do ADT cameras record all the time?
ADT’s security cameras can record continuously or only when they detect motion.
Are ADT prices negotiable?
Sometimes. You can negotiate a new monthly rate regardless of how long you’ve been an active user. For example, customers with longevity can request a loyalty discount that may lower their monthly fees.
Does ADT replace batteries?
Yes, ADT offers several battery replacement options, including a self-service option. It has a battery identification page on its website that helps you find and order compatible batteries as well as review instructions for installation.
Do I own my ADT equipment?
It depends. In the event that you terminate your contract with ADT, you keep some equipment, such as the ADT control panel, but not everything.
How long does ADT backup battery last?
The backup battery for an ADT-monitored security system lasts up to 24 hours after losing its connection to the power grid. You should keep the backup battery charged in case you need it as a power source.
Do you need a landline for ADT?
ADT systems can work with or without a landline.
Can I use my ADT equipment with another company?
Maybe. Some other home security companies can reprogram existing control panels to work with their monitoring systems. However, it's worth asking about specific items before you purchase additional equipment in case you ever choose to terminate your ADT contract.
How long are ADT contracts?
ADT contracts are typically 36 months for the monitoring agreement and 60 months for financing equipment.

Is ADT worth it?

We think ADT is worth considering if you want a professionally monitored home security system. People nationwide trust ADT, and it's an industry leader in security monitoring.

ADT offers several products and solutions to help protect homes and families, including an easy-to-use mobile app that sends text alerts and lets you control everything from your mobile device. Plus, the technology connects with smart-home devices for convenient automation. For more, see how ADT compares against our top picks for smart home security systems.

ADT Medical Alert is also available for older adults who want to feel safer at home and worry about falling or medical emergencies.

adt reviews summary

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I have two systems ‘cause I have two different houses. I added my second house to the ADT system. My first system, we've had it for a couple of years now. I just upgraded it at the beginning of this month. The tech was really good, nice and knowledgeable. Was easy to talk to. The big feature that was new with the ADT Control compared to the ADT Pulse was the touchscreen control pad, which is awesome. Then also the cameras. The cameras were 10 times better with ADT Control than they were with the old ADT Pulse. They were bad on the ADT Pulse. Plus, it has the capability of two-way conversation through the cameras. Which is awesome when you have kids at home and you're like, “Go to the bus.”

We always had an issue with the ADT doorbell never wanting to connect, always bombing out. So with this one, they brought the new Google doorbell. So far, it's been really nice. The only downfall is that I have to have another app to be able to access it. It's not run through the ADT Control app. I have to run it through the Google Home app.

I'm paying for two houses and they combined both the monitoring under one payment, which is awesome. But then I have two other payments that are coming out randomly throughout the month that are for the installation payment or for the actual equipment itself. When they told me, with the package, that it’s going to be automatically all rolled up into my monthly payments, I was like, “Cool.” So on this monthly payment, I expected an additional 20, and on this one, I expect an additional 10.

But when I talked to the lady from customer service this morning, I was like, “Why is it showing in my system three separate payments?” She said, “These are flexi payments on this one and flexi payment on this one. They're gonna come out on these dates.” So through ADT right now, I have my monitoring for both houses on one bill. Then I have turned around and I have the flexi payment for one house on another bill that comes in on the middle of the month. Then I have another flexi payment that comes out at the end of the month, instead of having it all combined under one payment.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

We had two different people that had different systems, one was my daughter and one was my daughter's best friend. SO, we called and set up an appointment to talk to both groups. One of them was ADT and they gave us a price that was competitive with the other group’s offer and the gentlemen representing the sales in both companies were both very good. But there was something about the product itself that had us go with ADT. Their rep also negotiated a price which was a tad bit better. It wasn't a large amount of money, but we liked the fact that he was working with us. The other guy just said, “This is it and that's all we do.”

So far, I feel comfortable knowing that my security system is in place and that all the elements of it seem to work to the best of the ability of them to work. Everything seems to be satisfactory and we haven't had any difficulties with our ADT system. But right after the install, the camera wasn't working at the rear of the house. They scheduled to come out and they came out fairly promptly. There was something wrong with the wiring but a guy came out and got it right. He was excellent. We'd never had a system before, so for us, there seemed to be an ease of understanding what was going on and utilizing the system. I also really like the panel inside the house versus the phone app which has worked very well. If I pull out of the driveway and I forgot to arm the system, the phone app allows me to stop at the corner and "Arm Away" after I've left.

Aside from that, I appreciate the customer service of all three people that we've dealt with at the home, the salesperson, the installer, and the guy that came to fix the wiring. As a consumer of anything, I appreciate when the provider listens to what the customer’s saying and works with that. When people tell you, “Well, this is this and da, da, da,” and they don't listen to what you're asking questions about or telling them, I find that very off-putting. But ADT's reps were very cordial and everybody listened.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

We had trouble getting a sales rep to our house. He wanted to do everything over the phone and kept trying to reschedule our appointment four times. We live an hour away from Tucson, Arizona. He said he could just look at your house via Google and try to give us an estimate that way. That really pissed my husband off. We're in the military and we expect the very best at all times. Not everybody can give it but this dude was telling us he was prior military too. I called and wanted to speak to somebody higher up than him because I didn't want to deal with him anymore. It turned out that he's the regional manager. That was really bad.

We just couldn't wait for him to get here, look at our house and everything that needs to be done then just get out. He needs to find a different job or he needs some coaching. We were appalled. We are consumers and we want this product in our home. I tried to go to management about this but it didn’t go any higher up than this regional manager. ADT didn't want to give me information so I was not happy about that. I kept getting transferred. I was ready to drive to the Tucson, Phoenix office because I was like, “I don't want this guy who seems like he's very complacent in life, that just doesn't care, to go into my house and try to sell me a security system when my husband’s a cop, and he's in the military.” It did not sit well with us.

Thankfully, ADT sent some guy who came in to do the install and he was great. He went over everything and he sat down with us. He is a great employee for ADT. The system has been nice and we've enjoyed it. I have to be here by myself until February so it makes me feel safe, which is the most important thing. We had another tech come out and he was great too. He came right away and installed the thermostat. Other than the sales experience, my husband and I are very pleased and we’re glad that we went with ADT.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

When I called up and talked to on the phone with ADT about six weeks in advance and let them know that we had a closing date on the 22nd and be moving, the person told me to leave the equipment there. But when I went to visit the house, I had a choice. I could have taken my equipment. Now, I ended up with this $11 equipment bill and I've lost my equipment. The other people called me because they started messing with the system, and it went off.

ADT called me and asked if I kept the system alive for 30 days. I told them no as we were out of there. They asked what they would do, if call the police, or hit an emergency for the police. I told them it was up to them. No matter what they do, it will be wrong because they can't communicate with the people. The people will be upset because it's a false alarm, and ADT couldn't check, and because they didn't check if there really was something, it could be possibly a liable lawsuit. I've insured doctors' hospitals, and malpractice coverage, so I thought that was a big mistake by the company because they're open to liable and they should just confirm that the client is leaving and turn it off.

Then before, I was paying $32 a month. Now, I'm paying $58 and I have the same amount of charges. I've been a customer since 2012, but I'm not getting credit for that. It was a jump from 32 to 58. It should have been a little more gentle. It should be something in the middle there. The only thing I did was trade two doors for one motion 'cause they were supposed to equalize out. But ADT does everything we wanted to do. I wanted an older system. My wife and I don't like the touchscreens because of reasons of privacy. Our seller was nice enough to get one of the older screens for us, the punch button ones, and I appreciated that very much. The people who came were great. But the person who gave me the ill advice of not taking my equipment with me has cost me some money.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I liked how promptly and quickly ADT came to my mom's house. They had a technician in our area. So he came and sized it up. He made sure of what we needed and it all got installed. It was very easy. She’s using the keychain idea to arm and disarm the system. I like that too. Recently, I put in a system for my mom and the salesman was very kind. The first installer came out Tuesday but the window glass things did not work. Then another person came out and he installed two that did work. Early on, I told ADT that when the alarm goes off, I want my system to call the police first and not me. But when I called the 1-800 ADT number yesterday, the lady said, “Well, no, we've got your phone.” She had a hard time understanding what I wanted to do. I said, “Ma'am, all I want to do is that if that alarm goes off at my mother's, I want the police to be summoned first. And then, you call me. And then, if you want to call my mom as a third contact, that's fine.”

Overall, I like ADT. We've had the service for 25 years. The batteries are fairly easy. The hardest thing is that the system that I have in my house is an older system. I've got kind of the older and newer motion detectors. The older one is a little more finicky, trying to take it apart. But the newer ones are a lot easier. The batteries last a long time. I'm the happiest when I know that when I leave the house and if something happens, somebody is coming. I had accidentally set my alarm off and the police came. I forgot to get a hammer and then I went downstairs and raised the garage door. Then there was a high-pitch sound and I realized the alarm was on. Before I knew it, the police were here.

The reps at ADT are very professional. They listen to my needs. The last technician that came to take care of the glass breakers in my mom's house, I asked him a couple of scenarios there. He said, “Well, that's a good point.” He said, “Let's do this. Let's put one thing there, like a glass breaker, we'll put a motion sensor here. And that way, it's got your mom covered on that back-end of the house.” I told him I liked that. I've recommended ADT over the years to several people. There's a lot of outfits out there, but we’ve been happy with ADT. They're nice and neat. I like how they matched the color. Like we got white trim and they got white, and they also got brown if you got wood. That's a nice thing to have. They're not noticeable, so I like that. All is good as long as it works. So being concealable is great.

Original review: June 29, 2022

The service with ADT needs to be improved on severely. I still don't have audio on my cameras that I spent $2,400 on. Back when I had problems, I called them and this guy came out. He said it was working properly. I told him it wasn't. He left. That's how they handle customer service. He also wanted to charge me until he went back to my salesperson who told him I'm on the maintenance program, but no one came back. So, to this day, I still don't have my cameras working properly. The cameras themselves are working, but I don't have any audio. I'm not happy with that at all.

The sales guys kind of pitch and don't give you all the information that you need. They upsell themselves. Then once you get the product, you're kind of stuck with it. I'm paying $100 a month and I'm still not happy with my service with them. I was not happy with the service when they came out, supposedly, to help my cameras work. That guy was a complete jerk to me. He was unprofessional.

ADT response

Hello Mary. We're terribly sorry to learn of the issues you're having with the cameras. Please give our team a call at 1-800-238-2727 as they would be happy to troubleshoot with you and if needed, schedule a service appointment to have a technician come out to the home to address the issues with the system. Thank you.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Absolute nightmare. If you sign on, it is 3 years of high payments for low tech. Google cameras and other devices on sale at Target are more tech savvy and don't come close to costing $51 a month. I was not careful and they put me on a 36 month contract that I could not quit without paying all the money anyway. I had the service disconnected for the last year and a half.

When I called to have them stop billing me (because the 36 months was ending) they told me that I needed to give them a month notice so I was billed an additional $51 and their representative said that I could get a discount on the last bill if I just would call them in a couple days. I did, and it turned out that he'd lied. I then talked to 5 different people. One of them hung up on me. I was put on hold and ultimately, no apology, no discount, a lot of questions and sales technique and a waste of a lot of my time. They are the worst companies I have ever had to deal with. I strongly suggest not getting mixed up with them.

ADT response

Oh no Dan! We're so sorry to hear of this upsetting experience! Our team would be happy to review the terms of your agreement and your experience with you if you could please email alwaysthere@adt.com along with the full address linked with the account and a reference to your review. ~ Thank you

Original review: June 13, 2022

Scammers! I just bought a house with an ADT system already installed and I figured we would give it a try since it was already in place. We had to convert the billing to our name, of course, so a representative came over and took our information and had us sign a contract. After using the service for a month we decided it was not for us but they would not let us out of the contract we signed. We were not notified that we were signing a 3 year contract. We were given an ipad to give our signature and did not get a copy of the contract until after we said we no longer wanted the service. Now they want us to pay out 75% of the 3 years (which we had no idea it wasn't month to month! They are crooks and scammers. DON'T SIGN ANY CONTRACT/IPAD!

ADT response

Thank you for your feedback. ADT believes in being transparent all of our agreements have the terms and conditions on the first page of the agreement. Customers also have a three-day right to rescission.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 12, 2022

WAY too much $$ for 0 service. To pay almost 70 bucks a month for nothing more than them looking at my house on a screen, such a waste. I thought, and was told by the installer, if anything goes wrong they will come out and fix the "issue". Yeah sure they will for 59 bucks and then it may not be "their issue" to fix. WHAT THE **? I contacted them today because I have an INSIDE camera that I can move from place to place that has a small amount of moisture (right in the line of sight of the eye of the camera) so I can't see **! I cannot clean the lens because it is inside, how, NO CLUE but when I contact them they rec I have a tech come out and assess for 59 bucks, ah no, I can mail this thing in and get it fixed or replaced.

Nope not an option. So then I ask so... If ANYTHING goes wrong & someone has to come out so I can continue to use the service I am paying your to use it will cost me 59 bucks? She said YES... that is like paying the power co for power and still getting a bill for when the power is out because the cable is down and then having to pay the power company (on top of your bill for service you are not getting) to come reconnect your power. Ah? Again WT??? Personally NOT WORTH the $$ what are they doing with my $$?

ADT response

Hello Carrie - We're sorry to learn of the frustrations you've dealing with regarding your service. Our team would be more than happy to look into this further and assist. May we please ask that you send us a copy of your review/concern, with the phone number and address associated with the service to AlwaysThere@adt.com? Thank you.

Original review: June 2, 2022

We purchased a new "smart" home. An ADT representative came by to see if we needed anything. I had wanted smart light switches. I already have the smart switches installed. However the next day an electrician contracted by ADT came out and switched them out for completely different switch. After they installed them and set up one of the switches and send the other would connect shortly.

This install was done 4 April 2022 by ADT Corporate. I call back a couple days later to get the lights that weren't working fixed. I was then transferred to Safehaven Security who is actually under contract with the building to work on the smart homes. Safehaven came out and saw what was done and said I needed to contact ADT Corporate to get the situation corrected. I've been going back and forth for 2 months. Been on the phone 5 hours at a time twice a week trying to get this resolved. I was looking for a full refund and for ADT Corporate to put the system back the way it was before they screwed it up. Still hasn't no resolution.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

ADT Company Information