4.2/5 (1172 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

Top ADT Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

ADT's customer service is great. My understanding of what I was getting was awesome. I like the security of knowing my house and personal belongings are protected. Also, the addit...

Verified

… Having the system makes me feel more secure in my own home because you don't know what's going to happen. I like it good and I'm happy with ADT. The cameras were not in the pack...

How does ADT work?

Once you activate your ADT alarm system, it can report a notification, such as a crossed motion sensor, in any monitored zone within your home. If a sensor triggers, the system transmits a signal through a landline or cellular connection. ADT monitoring centers receive this alert and begin coordinating a response until the threat is over.

You can arm ADT home security systems either directly on the control panel or through the ADT app, ADT Control. ADT Control gives you instant alerts of activity, access to live video footage and control over your entire system, including smart locks, smart lighting, climate control and your security devices.

With the ADT SoSecure app, users can alert family or friends of their location or send an SOS for emergency response.

Monitoring requires a three-year agreement, and termination fees apply for breaking a contract.

If you like the idea of professional monitoring but don’t want to sign a contract, check out Blue by ADT, a DIY option.

ADT prices

Monthly costs for ADT home security packages range from $28.99 per month to $57.99 per month. Equipment costs range from $599 to $1,049. If you don’t want to pay upfront, financing costs from $9.98 to $17.48 per month for 60 months. Installation fees range from $99 to $199.

You can choose from several ADT home security system packages, including:

• Essentials: For around $36 per month, you get three window and door sensors, an infrared motion detector and 24/7 professional alarm monitoring.
  • Total Protection: For around $44 per month, you get everything included in the Essentials package plus Safewatch Cellguard, which lets you connect the system through a landline.
  • Premium Protection: For about $56 a month, you receive everything in the other packages plus ADT Pulse, which includes home automation. You can monitor and manage the system and smart devices through the app.

For more, see how costs compare for ADT vs. Vector, ADT vs. Xfinity, ADT vs. Cove and ADT vs. Guardian Protection.

ADT equipment and technology

ADT customers can customize their home security packages with additional equipment. Some of ADT’s most popular home security equipment options include:

• Wireless keychain remotes: The ADT key fob is a convenient, one-touch system that lets you arm or disarm your home security system. This device features simple, easy-to-understand icons that help reduce false alarms. The remote also includes a panic button that communicates with ADT and local emergency services.
  • Entryway contacts: These sensors detect when someone opens a door or window while your system is armed and alert you via text message.
  • Security cameras: ADT security cameras come in both indoor and outdoor configurations. The indoor cameras work in low-light conditions and provide live or recorded video, which lets you check in on your family or pets. The outdoor cameras send clips automatically when they detect motion and work well even in low-light conditions or adverse weather like rain or snow.
  • Video doorbells: Video doorbells allow you to answer your doorbell from virtually anywhere. Whether you’re home or away, the video doorbell function on the ADT mobile app lets you view who is on your front porch in real time. These devices feature clear, high-definition video with dewarping technology and two-way audio.

ADT security FAQ

ADT offers quick, professional installation to ensure your equipment is set up properly. Depending on the size of your home, it could take less than an hour. Larger homes could take a little longer. Here’s what you can expect from the installation process:
  1. To prepare for your ADT home security installation, ensure your home has power, a working phone line or Wi-Fi connection and accessible outlets near potential camera locations.
  2. On the day of the installation, technicians arrive to set up your system. For hard-wired setups, installers run wires through the home to each device and sensor, including all door, window and motion sensors.
  3. The technician will walk you through how to use your ADT home security system so you’re confident you’re using everything correctly.
  4. Once the equipment is in place, personalize your protection with customized alerts, video monitoring and emergency alarms.

Professional ADT installation costs start at $99 and vary based on the monitoring package, equipment and features you select. ADT offers a 90-day warranty following the installation. During that time, any necessary service comes at no charge.

Yes, ADT offers indoor and outdoor camera options. You can view camera footage live if you want to check on your home or office.

You can add cameras to your ADT system as long as you have ADT Pulse. If you don't have a plan that supports cameras, you need to upgrade your service. You must add cameras one at a time, but your security system can support up to 10 cameras at any given time.

Video monitoring rates vary per month depending on the plan you select.

ADT’s security cameras can record continuously or only when they detect motion.
Sometimes. You can negotiate a new monthly rate regardless of how long you’ve been an active user. For example, customers with longevity can request a loyalty discount that may lower their monthly fees.
Yes, ADT offers several battery replacement options, including a self-service option. It has a battery identification page on its website that helps you find and order compatible batteries as well as review instructions for installation.
It depends. In the event that you terminate your contract with ADT, you keep some equipment, such as the ADT control panel, but not everything.
The backup battery for an ADT-monitored security system lasts up to 24 hours after losing its connection to the power grid. You should keep the backup battery charged in case you need it as a power source.
ADT systems can work with or without a landline.
Maybe. Some other home security companies can reprogram existing control panels to work with their monitoring systems. However, it's worth asking about specific items before you purchase additional equipment in case you ever choose to terminate your ADT contract.
ADT contracts are typically 36 months for the monitoring agreement and 60 months for financing equipment.

Is ADT worth it?

We think ADT is worth considering if you want a professionally monitored home security system. People nationwide trust ADT, and it's an industry leader in security monitoring.

ADT offers several products and solutions to help protect homes and families, including an easy-to-use mobile app that sends text alerts and lets you control everything from your mobile device. Plus, the technology connects with smart-home devices for convenient automation. For more, see how ADT compares against our top picks for smart home security systems.

ADT Medical Alert is also available for older adults who want to feel safer at home and worry about falling or medical emergencies.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I liked how promptly and quickly ADT came to my mom's house. They had a technician in our area. So he came and sized it up. He made sure of what we needed and it all got installed. It was very easy. She’s using the keychain idea to arm and disarm the system. I like that too. Recently, I put in a system for my mom and the salesman was very kind. The first installer came out Tuesday but the window glass things did not work. Then another person came out and he installed two that did work. Early on, I told ADT that when the alarm goes off, I want my system to call the police first and not me. But when I called the 1-800 ADT number yesterday, the lady said, “Well, no, we've got your phone.” She had a hard time understanding what I wanted to do. I said, “Ma'am, all I want to do is that if that alarm goes off at my mother's, I want the police to be summoned first. And then, you call me. And then, if you want to call my mom as a third contact, that's fine.”

Overall, I like ADT. We've had the service for 25 years. The batteries are fairly easy. The hardest thing is that the system that I have in my house is an older system. I've got kind of the older and newer motion detectors. The older one is a little more finicky, trying to take it apart. But the newer ones are a lot easier. The batteries last a long time. I'm the happiest when I know that when I leave the house and if something happens, somebody is coming. I had accidentally set my alarm off and the police came. I forgot to get a hammer and then I went downstairs and raised the garage door. Then there was a high-pitch sound and I realized the alarm was on. Before I knew it, the police were here.

The reps at ADT are very professional. They listen to my needs. The last technician that came to take care of the glass breakers in my mom's house, I asked him a couple of scenarios there. He said, “Well, that's a good point.” He said, “Let's do this. Let's put one thing there, like a glass breaker, we'll put a motion sensor here. And that way, it's got your mom covered on that back-end of the house.” I told him I liked that. I've recommended ADT over the years to several people. There's a lot of outfits out there, but we’ve been happy with ADT. They're nice and neat. I like how they matched the color. Like we got white trim and they got white, and they also got brown if you got wood. That's a nice thing to have. They're not noticeable, so I like that. All is good as long as it works. So being concealable is great.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I wanted ADT. When I had called PECO to switch over my electric to my new house, they transferred me to a moving service. They said it was supposed to be a centralized system to help you find movers. They could access Wi-Fi. It seemed like a know-it-all center. Somehow after that, they transferred me to Protect Your Home. I didn’t even realize I was talking to them then I got it set up. It was pretty easy.

I was really committed to getting a system. The reps were okay but I was pretty disappointed at the clarity of everything. They kept making it this huge deal where I would be getting $1,300 in equipment. The prices online were not fairly represented and the sales rep didn't represent the cost on installment day. He said, “We're gonna charge your card $100 right now. And if you like it, that's it. If you don't like it, you can send the guy away. We’ll leave as friends. We'll refund your card $100.” He didn't mention that it was gonna be another $3,000 to install the equipment. There were a lot of pre-work that the sales rep should have done. There should have been some prices provided beforehand.

When our installer came out, he tried giving us $4,000 worth of equipment. $1,300 credit really isn't worth much when it's $4,000. We still got to pull $3,000 out of pocket. It wasn't communicated that there was gonna be such an upfront fee especially when they made such a big deal out of having so much money off. We were very surprised. It was funny too. I had already been looking at the sensors because I was curious about what they look like. I did my research. The prices were not disclosed. XFINITY would say, “It’d be $600.” Ring’s security system said, “The upfront cost is $200.” ADT just said, “Zero upfront costs.” So hearing it was going to be $4,000, I was like “Yo, hold on a minute.” But ADT was very transparent about being in a contract for 36 months, which I was fine with.

There were also a lot of things in there that we didn’t need. I didn't need fire or three more carbon monoxide and smoke detectors because I already had those in the house. I didn’t need all the indoor cameras. We cut some of the things out. I do not need a front and back door sign. The system itself is loud enough. In the end, the price eventually came down.

This situation was 1,000% the sales rep’s fault for not clearly communicating and also ADT’s fault for not actually putting on the website what the actual cost of the items were going to be. What I went with cost me $600 to $1,700 even after that so-called $1300 equipment cost. We pulled $17,000 out of our savings account for settlement day two weeks ago. $1,700 is kind of a lot of money. Other people would have been more pissed off for the company not being upfront. Some people who maybe didn't have the resources would have definitely sent some away, not having known the upfront cost of the system. The company seriously needs to be transparent with upfront costs.

We're also having a problem with the cameras for whatever reason. The installer had been back three times and was not able to get them hooked up. I was a little surprised. There are also some feedback to the operations team. I'm an operations manager for hotels. I understand problems happen. But if they have an appointment, they need to be very transparent about that. They said it was between 2:00 and 4:00. The sales rep did not tell me that it was going to take eight hours to install. My appointment was between 2:00 and 4:00 PM.

The installer did not show up until 4:30 and he left a little after 11:00. We weren't even moving into the house yet. There was no Wi-Fi and there was no bed. I was not sleeping there. I had work the next day at 6:00 AM. It was 11 PM and the installer hadn't even activated the outdoor cameras. That was crazy. He was going to install another indoor camera. But I said, “Eighty-six the indoor camera. I actually don't want it after all. Come back and hook up the outdoor cameras when we get Wi-Fi.” I'm overall satisfied with the equipment. It's good and our installer was awesome. I'm still very happy with the end goal but it was was the most transparent experience. And I was exhausted. It was a long day.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

We've only had the ADT system for a couple of days, and we’re adjusting and see what it's going to be like. It’s vastly different than what we've had before. Some of the things, we are still experimenting with them to see. And one of them is we have questions and the technician will be out in, hopefully, another time to go through it. We ran into some things that we didn't expect.

In talking to the person on the phone about the system, I was told that someone would come out and tell me specifically what happened. But a person showed up in my house with things to install the system in my house. He was assuming that the system was sold to us already. We were assuming that the person was coming to tell us about the system. You don't show up at someone's house with your equipment to install in their house. That needs to be perfectly clear upfront with the person before you have met. Fortunately, we were able to talk and we decided to install the system. If it had not been for the technician, we would have told him to leave. But he was a good person and he did a good job.

Upon installing the system, the camera that we have on the garage and the volume for the sound for it, we can barely hear it when we do that. Then the additional thing that we found that since we wanted two cameras, it would cause our internet to go up. So I’m now waiting for the phone company to bring me a new router and increase my upload speed tremendously. Then when we turn the panel that's in the kitchen on, we don't quite understand what the red light and green lights are. We haven't been able to find an answer in the literature we've gone through. So I assume it takes us a few days to determine whether or not this system is going to be something that will wow us.

The initial contact needs to be seamless. You need to really say that this is what you're getting here and not have those questions later. ADT should also evaluate people that are buying cameras. They should evaluate the internet experience and say that upfront before you get to the point where you put it down on paper. It's a considerable expense to update the internet you’re having. When we had it, it was going to end up adding about $30 to my internet cost per month. By the time I put that into the formula, the 60 I'd be paying for the security system and add another 32 would far exceed what I was paying before.

One of the things that need to be included in the presentations especially if people start to talk about cameras and they have internet service. My service has an upload one and a download one. The upload on my service is 4.7, where you should buy a camera that's going to require two-point something of upload capacity even to operate. But we were gonna buy two cameras and to do that, it would take all the capacity for my internet. With what I do at home with my internet, I can't have it down because of cameras. So I called the telephone company to find out what it would cost and their rep started to quote numbers to me and I was blown away. But the person put most of the system in the house already when I found out that it was going to be an additional cost. So I was not gonna have him take the equipment out and leave. But it was not something that made me feel really good about it. I come close to feel like I have been taken advantage of there.

ADT response

Jimmie, Thank you for reaching out to us ! We do apologize that this happened and we will definitely look into this on our end. Thank you for joining the ADT family.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

When I moved into this house two years ago, they had ADT, so I took it over. But I needed to add some cameras to my system. So I bought a whole new system, upgraded everything, and got my cameras, and signed another contract with them for three years. I like ADT. They're a good company and they give me good service. I was happy with their system. It’s very easy to use. My wife knows how to use it and it’s very good and the new system is even better.

When I first initiated the call with ADT to have a couple of cameras ordered and put on my account, they said that they didn't sell the merchandise. So I asked who did and they said that it was my security company. They said that they were just doing the monitoring and my security company was another company. They gave me the name of the company and I called them. But they said that they sold the contract with ADT two years ago. So I was back to square one again with ADT.

When I initiated the second call with ADT, I told them that all I wanted was to add some cameras on here. I got quoted three different prices from three different people with three different programs, and none of which I was interested in because they were five and six-year contracts. That was just ludicrous. I felt like I got shuffled around. Some of the times, I got hung up on. I'd call back and get hung up on again. That was bad customer service as far as I was concerned. ADT really needs to be persistent in the fact that they know who they're talking to and what kind of deal are they getting thrown at them. I just gave up on ADT.

I was pretty much sold on this other company and I had already lined up an installation date with them. But again, they had a five-year contract. So, I went back to ADT and told them that I wanted to stay with them but told them what my problem was. So the young lady I talked to gave me the best deal possible. She was very nice and set me up with everything. We went through the whole program, told me exactly what it was, how many years I was on the hook for, and everything was nice and done with.

We lined up the installation and then the guy came out, did an excellent job of putting everything in. But there's one camera that is not in the right angle. I can see people coming up to my door and their backs, but I can't see who it is. So, we have to move that and they're coming out on the 11th of March, which I can't understand why it's being so long in between there that we're gonna have to have that done. But I'm willing to wait if I have to. I would have liked to get it done sooner, but I don't know if that's possible.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Signing up with ADT was good. There was just a little bit of confusion on the end of the credit part of everything. I got an additional 1,100 that I didn't even get to utilize because it was almost like you had to spend money to utilize it, which was really weird to me. Over the phone, it was like peaches and cream and then, when the ADT guy got there, our total was a ridiculous number and I didn't plan on spending $1,500 that day.

When I spoke with the rep over the phone, I told him what I was looking for. Then, his manager got on the phone and he said that he was giving me a credit on top of what I already gave them of 1,100 and he said that it would take care of the outside cameras. But that was not the case. It wasn't gonna take care of the outside cameras. So, I ended up buying Ring cameras for me to be able to see outside and just doing an ADT for the perimeter part of everything.

Even when the tech was there, I was told that I have an additional 1,100 to spend. So I assumed that was what I had to spend. Then when he finished totaling up everything I wanted, it was 1,500 and something. So I asked about the 1,100 and he said that we would have to do several things to utilize 1,100. So I told him to give me the bare minimum and I ended up spending $100 and I was okay with that.

I like the system. But when I set everything up, I was under the assumption that my door, which the Z-Wave was going to be connected to the ADT system. That was partly why I did the smart plan. The manager said that they couldn't add it to the Smart Hub. The tech wasn't equipped to do it, so I would have to call over the phone and they'd have to walk me through it over the phone. But I've called twice and nobody has figured that part out yet. The one person that apparently could was not there for the week and they told me to call back. So, I'm still just working on that part.

We didn't get the sign. So I called in and the rep said that it was gonna take two weeks to get the sign. They should make it smooth where the customer wouldn't have to follow up on the things that they didn't get. But otherwise, the system has done everything that it’s supposed to do. The tech did what he was supposed to do. Also, the part of peace and security has been good. It's just that we have six basement windows and I wanted to know how much the glass breaker for the window downstairs would cost me.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I had a good experience with the ADT sales rep.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I've had ADT for years and they are the best. I had an issue where I did a transfer from an old home to a new home and there was a miscommunication. I was still getting a bill from one location when that should have been transferred. But we got that resolved.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

ADT is awesome. The representatives are good and the installers are informative. It’s a good investment and it makes me feel more at ease.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

At this home that I'm in, ADT has been the worst. Their new system that came out in ’19 was the newest panel that they got at the time. I had ADT since 2004 in all my homes and even businesses. It went to ‘17, an authorized dealer put all aftermarket equipment in my home. So, ADT wasn't monitoring my home. They are an authorized dealer. And I said the customer did not know that. They even installed my garage door opener. I still have the cameras in there, but ADT doesn't monitor those. So my doorbell they did was replaced seven times. When corporate got involved, I just told them. It was like on a scary movie that somebody came in, installed equipment, supposed to be from one of the nation's top brands, and they are not with ADT. So business-wise, we went to CPI for two of the businesses and kept ADT for one.

But in the new house, one of the sensors that they installed is bad. The technician that came out last week said he tried to fix it, but he didn't carry those sensors on his truck. So, I have to call back again this week, because it went off again that it's not monitored. That's a 8,900 square foot house. The police have been called and have been out there three times but I haven't been called once. When I called ADT about it, they said it was a test system where the alarm just kept going off. They said they contacted me but they did not. And just yesterday, my husband was out there because the gas people had to come out and check the gas pipes. The alarm went off before on one of the sensors that he didn't know, which is to the pool door outside that connects to the house. The police was again called but I wasn't called. We’re looking for someone else.

ADT response

Thank you for reaching out to us! We do apologize for the experience that you have described and would like to assist in resolving any outstanding issues. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

There were some issues with the install. In the house, the guy put a screw into the electrical wire in a wall when he was putting in the control panel and it shorted out all the lights in my mudroom, kitchen, and dining room. I made him back the screw out because he said that wasn’t the problem, but it was, and the lights came back on. But it’s dimmer, or the mudroom lights don't work anymore, and I'm not sure of the damage in the wall to the wire. Plus, he used all house stuff to install stuff in my garage. I haven't been able to secure my garage since the install. Two of the sensors don't work.

The manager for this area said he was gonna get back to me and he was gonna start a claim. It's been a week and I haven't heard anything. I'm still waiting. I had Protection 1 for 20 years in Western Washington, which was bought by ADT, and I never had an issue with those guys. Always there, always did things right. When I come over here, I get a bad install, and nobody wants to talk to me about it. I think they're hoping that I’d go away.

ADT response

Hello harry. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize for any frustration this has caused you. We have escalated your concerns to our local team and have asked that they contact you directly. Thank you!

ADT Company Information