1.12/5

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

Four Seasons Nursery

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

95 Four Seasons Nursery Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 30, 2019

I have been doing business with Four Seasons for years. Writing this review because of all the harsh reviews I see. My experience has been very positive. I work for a national retailer that sells plants and hardware. I buy from Four Seasons for the variety. Most stores have the same selection year after year. They do take time to ship. I figure they have to grow these things. They are not sitting on a shelf somewhere. But the orders are always complete, year after year. And even though the cuttings and shoots are quite small, everything lives! I just bought dozens of shrubs, and trees. They are thriving. If you are a gardener, try them for yourself. Start with a small order if you like. See if the plants aren't the nicest ones in your garden next year.

Original review: May 14, 2019

These folks got me again! They are the same as Burgess, and other names. Mail out flyers all have same pictures (1970s pictures of kid with tube socks) from 4 company names. Missing items, some of the trees in the order did not have the roots wrapped in moist soil and arrived dried out and dead. Lilac trees were paid for, but not in package that arrived. Now their regular game of me having to return shipping label before they will do anything. They do not care about your receipt or to look your order up on a computer to replace dead plants. They demand that you keep the shipping bag for a year and return it before they will replace anything. They also have a clause allowing them to not refund you if they run out of stock of your item, but to decide what to send you as a substitute. I have nothing good to say after dealing with them a few times.

Get expert buying tips about Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I purchased 6 grasses from this company in April 2017. Plants arrived May 17 and planted the next day. I contacted the company - followed their instructions for replacement (include shipping label) and they sent me replacement plants which also arrived looking dead not dormant. By September 2017 it was clear that none of the plants survived. I contacted the company who said it was "too late" to send replacements and I should check in the spring 2018 to see if they come back to life. I waited patiently to see if there were any signs of life and there were not. I contacted the company again to get live replacements. They did not respond at all for weeks and after repeated calling to their 800 # I was then told that the plants were "out of warranty" and they would do nothing at all. I threw away $60 to not even arrive dead get one live plant. Disgusting. I would never ever order from this company again. Their catalogue is deceiving and the plants.

Original review: April 27, 2019

After placing an order of $200 I received the plants in a timely matter, but they were mostly all dead. I'm in the orchard business and have been all my life, so I know the difference between dead and dormant. Their return policy is they will replace product one time or if you return plants in the original packing they will refund your money. I should know better but I thought I would try them, after all their pictures look so healthy in the book. BTW I'm only three hours south of them, so don't try to blame it on shipping! My advice - don't waste your money.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I placed an order on March 26th. As of today, April 24, I still have not received any of my order. It says on website 2-3 weeks for processing, NO WAY. I put in a dispute with Visa and they promptly credited my account after I explained how horrible they were in shipping. I knew there was an issue as soon as I ordered my plants. It said I didn't give them an E-mail to verify tracking when shipped, but they were able to send me an E-mail confirming my order. Scam artists and I should have read other reviews before ordering. I will not make that same mistake again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Four Seasons Nursery?

Original review: March 16, 2019

We placed a large order with Royal Dutch in January 2018 for planting for spring in Southern California. 2 months and order not received so called to cancel order and phone is 'bogus' for customer service. Sent e-mail to cancel and was told could not cancel because order was prepared to ship! Order receive 3 WEEKS later (3 months) and items were DEAD and majority of bulbs did not grow. Requested to take advantage of 'GUARANTEE' and did EVERYTHING stated (ORIGINAL SHIPPING LABEL) returned with what items were defective...

Another 2 weeks passed and received request to state how many of a certain item did not grow. Sent request back and NOTHING! OVER $200 wasted. Now we see that the 5 catalogs we receive from various growers are the same company, same address and same customer number. We filed small claim action with 3 of the 5 companies and they defaulted. Over a year and not a word...BUT CATALOGS every few weeks. Be careful with these companies.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Fraud alert! DO NOT ORDER from this company. They ship dead plants/trees. They will not honor their guarantee. They will not refund or replace. I ordered 7 trees. 5 were dead on arrival. Recent name change from Direct Garden to 4 Seasons Nurseries. Same bandits!

Original review: March 5, 2019

Placed an order for $88 worth of products in Jan. I requested to send as soon as possible for as I live in Miami Florida and we have no winter; in fact it has been 91 degrees every day. Their email reply is a joke and nobody answers their phone number. 2 months later and nothing. How can they be allowed to stay in business?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

DO NOT ORDER from Four Seasons Nursery. It's a scam! Plants arrived dried up and dead. 5-in-1 plum tree is just a twig with one tiny live grafted bud. Whatever plants survived were not the right type. I asked for a refund and they send a replacement which was in even worse shape than the original order. I sent everything back according to the return policy on their website (within 2 weeks of receiving the order with original shipping label attached). They flat out refused to give me a refund. $63 wasted.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I ordered a 4 in one peach tree and a halls hardy almond tree. 3 years later the 4 in one peach tree still looks like a 12 in dead stick and the almond tree is producing golf ball size peaches. I called to complain because I waited 3 years to finally get almonds so I didn't have to buy bags of them anymore. I sent in a sample, and picture. I was told they would review it and send me a letter in the mail about their decision. It's been a month. 5 calls and still waiting.

Original review: July 21, 2018

These are definitely the nursery reject plants. Every one of them had leaves that were brown and the plants were not healthy. All of them ended up dead. I didn’t order that much, so it wasn’t worth the hassle of trying to get a refund. I am sure they count on people just not bothering.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Poorest customer service I've ever dealt with. Can't be reached by phone for any reason, only Email response. Extremely slow order time and when inquired was told basically I need to wait my turn and that their process time was approx. one week. Took about two months for them to process. To top it off they were supposed to send me three Paw Paw trees, Instead I receive five. Issue being only two were properly wrapped and alive. The other three were bare unprotected dead sticks. Now they require me to send back the original shipping label in order to get what I paid for in the first place. Never again!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Placed order online and paid by credit on 4/12/18. Said 2-3 weeks for order. Contact 5/15 by email since their phone is ALWAYS busy no matter what time you call. I get instant generic email reply. About 2 days later I get reply from someone saying they are just now working on the orders for my zone. 10 days later finally get email confirmation on 5/25 that it has shipped with FedEx. No update until 5/28 that it finally was picked up and dropped off at USPS. Went to pick up today 5/29/18 to get trees planted before we get a few days rain Only to find trees missing. Ordered 8 green giants. Only got 2.

Thankfully my red maples and weeping willows seem to be okay so far. Had pep-start pills in my order. They were just powder that spread through the entire bag and covering everything. Tried to call again. Go figure. Line busy. Sent email about this issue. Wondering how long to get this fixed. I will never give a good comment to others about this company. Nothing but headaches and a waiting game.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Sent order 4/18 with check. They cashed check 4/25. I tried to call and line busy constantly. I emailed and received one response that it takes 2-3 weeks for processing and then order shipped “weather permitting “. Well it is over 3 weeks and this is 5/21, so no excuse for not shipping. I have emailed 2 additional times and been ignored. I have opened a complaint with BBB and suggest everyone else do the same. I believe numerous complaints have been started and perhaps a class action lawsuit can be brought against this company. I am going to look into that with the AG office. I paid by check, never got an order number but my order was received bc check was cashed.

Updated on 06/02/2018: Apparently there is nothing you can do about this company except do not get taken by them initially. I have waited since April after they cashed my check. I sent emails of which I received one response that said nothing but falsehoods. I said refund my money. I contacted BBB and said refund my money. Today 6/2 I received a green bag at my door that had been packaged on Sat 5/26, that is 7 days ago. Most of the pitiful items are dried up and dead or unrecognizable as to what I ordered. The BBB is of little to no help. The items received are crap and what you expect to find at end of season trash pile. Moral of this story, do not ever, ever buy from this shady company or expect to receive garbage when they decide to send it to you.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Place an order on Monday, April 16, 2018 for the amount of $153.16. Here we are on May 17, 2018 and we have not received any of the plants and flowers that we order. We have tried to contact them numerous times at the number provided on the catalog which is (309) 834-7200. That number always have a busy signal or nobody answers the phone on purpose. I demand answers from somebody on why they are not answering the phone to their customers and why they are not replying to our e-mail.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I purchased $129.92 worth of plants. I ordered on the 7 of April. I received the tomatoes on the or around the 3rd of May. I waited for the tomatoes for almost a month. Today is the 15th of May, and I have not received the rest of my order. The tomatoes came broken off from the plant. The soil was totally dried, and the plants were dead.

I called today and spoke to someone in customer care. She told me that for me to get my credit back, I needed to send the plants back to your company. I paid for Item 7581 Giant Hybrid Beefmaster Tomato Plants Item#: 7581 4 for 5.79. The customer service woman told me to be able to get a credit, I needed to send the box with the tomatoes back to the company. I asked for a label with postage paid by the company to send the items back. She told me it was the company's policy not to send postage to the customer. I would have to pay for postage and send the tomatoes back in order to get the credit. I shop online from many companies. If something is damaged not due to my fault, the company always sends the postage to return the item. Imagine, the tomatoes came almost one month late.

Now I have to drive to the post office or to UPS. It will take about 1 hour and 1/2 for me to return the package, use my gas, and pay for that size box at the post office about $10.00 for a 5.79 items. I was very surprised with their return policy. It is not my fault the tomatoes came dried, broken, and I could not plant them. This is the first time I purchase items from Four Seasons Nursery company, and the last.

Besides my order taking without the tomatoes, 1 month and 17 or so days, today is the 15th and I have not received my order for the rest of the items ordered. Four Seasons Nursery wants me to invest time, gas, and my $10.00 or so to send back the box of tomatoes. They offered no solutions to rectify their damaged goods. Four Seasons Nursery's solution to send back the box is timely and expensive. Why should I spend time and money to send their damaged item back? They can keep the money, they need it more than me. I WILL NEVER, EVER BUY ONE CENT FROM FOUR SEASONS NURSERY. I will tell all my friends of the poor job you did sending the tomatoes plants. I do hope the rest of the order comes in with healthy plants. I took pictures of the tomatoes when I received the package, but there is no way of attaching the pictures I took of the box when I opened it. I am a very unhappy customer.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Ordered some flowering plants in the fall of 2017 worth over $50. When arrived, they all were dried up. I called the company, they mentioned to go ahead and plant them, and wait for spring to see how they survive. Well, spring is here and not surprisingly, none but one plant has come alive. I tried calling the company, but their phone line always gives a busy signal. I do not recommend buying from them. I know I will not do any business with them again.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I ordered hundreds of dollars of trees, flowering shrubs, and perennial plants. The quality was so bad that I do not expect to succeed in getting the plants to survive. The hybrid poplar trees are sprouts with dried roots; what roots were left on the sprouts. Each sprout was from a rootstock that varied in an 60-degree angle from the rootstock. I ordered trees not rootstock. The flowering shrubs were less than 10 inch tall in a small cup along with the elephant ears. The rest of the plants I ordered were small roots placed in a plastic bag. What a joke! This company needs to be put out of business! Stay away, go to a reliable company or better, go to a local nursery.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I ordered three bare-root plants of Black-Eyed Susans for $6.99 and only one of the three plant arrived in a plastic bag that was marked to contain 3 plants. Another item never arrived nor was there an explanation. The order was marked as filled by #**. When there are so many companies to order plants why should I ever come back here again? I've learned my lesson.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Never purchase from here, unless you can visit in person. Worst customer service ever. If you are going to do business in this century and use the internet; then please be able to address returns or complaints using the same internet that you took the Money from. I ordered 24 plants and received 18. After being made to the use snail mail to request what I was missing two times I was then told I was only charged for 18. Great customer service.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I bought 24 blue spruce, 4 pecan trees, 2 blueberry plants and 40 privet hedge on March 31, 2017. I planted everything shortly after receiving them. Within a month everything but the blueberry plants were dead. I wanted a refund minus the blueberry. They said it had to be within 14 days, they didn't die that fast. They replaced them and I quickly planted them. Two weeks and they were all dead. I am not going to plant them 3 times. I wish I had read reviews before buying. This company is nothing more than a scam, they sell GARBAGE. Do not waste your money. I threw away $160.90 on CRAP! Since only the 2 blueberries lived they cost $80 each. RIPOFF!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I swear this business is run out of somebody's basement. They must have tons of 1st time customers and very little repeat business. Lord, let's see: #1 - it took well over a month to get the order. #2 - I ordered 2 blueberry bushes and got 2 sweet pea plants instead (That died). The thing that I really wanted was the blue rose bush. I planted that. It was the only thing that looked half alive. It's not in a really sunny area so it took a while and finally I saw buds. Tonight I came home and one had opened. Was it blue? Hell no, it was red! I don't believe a blue rose bush exists.

I emailed them tonight. I'd been in contact with them like everybody else here has. I won't hold my breath for a replacement, and if I did get one, it'll probably be red again. I cannot believe they can even stay in business. They charged my card for the order and had my money a month before they even processed it. They are the absolute worst, hands down. I don't think I've seen anybody rate them with more than 1 star. I will definitely check this site before buying anything again.

Original review: July 9, 2017

On April 19, 2017 I sent a check for $40.97 for Canadian Hemlock. The order that came was less than satisfactory to put it mildly. Most of the plants were dry, small and poorly packaged. I planted them all in good soil and to date only one or two look like they will live. I was expecting plants that could produce good size in a few years, not forever. This is the most pathetic rip off ever.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I ordered several plants and the Bonfire Euphorbia are 1'' tall and may possibly be seen in the massive garden in 10 years. They arrived dead and nursing them back to life. I now have 1'' plants mostly dead. This is not the description in their catalog.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I have been suckered twice. Last year I ordered in late spring. My ordered was filled in September. I was so concerned that planting that late that I would have no success. Some of the free bulbs did grow but, not until this spring. Other things did not even come to me live. The weeping willow was a complete dud. This year I took another chance and ordered early but, again I've planted sticks. The dogwood, white birch, tulip trees are getting water and fertilizers but, again duds. I figured it was my loss because I had forgotten that they were the company I ordered from last year.

Now, their name will be forever etched in my brain. I agree with one of the other complaints. Their catalog is bright and beautiful and very intriguing. The outcome is much more disappointing. The cash is gone and the enthusiasm is dimmed. I did nothing to contact them or anyone else in regards to recovering anything. How does the saying go? Trick me once, shame on you. Trick me twice, shame on me! I also never received a confirmation for the order, a thank you for the order nor, an invoice with the order even, spending near a hundred dollars. But, hopefully my experience will help others to NOT ORDER from them. I did not do the research I should have before ordering. If their catalog shows up in the mail I will immediately add it to the recycle bin.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I ordered $108. worth of plants from you on March 23, 2017. Ordered off of the web **. I cannot send a copy of the invoice from the web because there is no place on here to allow me to. I am not at all happy with this order. I called Capital One the day your order arrived which was 2 days after I called in and complained and so I noticed the roots sticking out of the bag. So I decided to go ahead and plant them, but maybe half are alive. So I do not want anymore.

I cannot send the invoice because Capital One kept it when I filed a complaint. Which they refuse to acknowledge. I do not want any replacements. The 12 burning bushes were dead, the 2 pecan trees, 4 rose of Sharon, and 10 of the purple leaf plum hedges are dead. I will never order from your company again. You waited to send it when I reported it to my credit card. The roots were sticking out of the plastic bag. They never ever contacted me of a delivery.

Original review: June 6, 2017

This company has beautiful looking magazines and great pictures of all kinds of beautiful plants on their website. Only thing is, NOTHING you get in the mail will even closely resemble the description or the photo of the items. And getting a refund is nearly impossible and the replacement process for the poorly handled and poorly packaged tiny plants is extremely time consuming and will ruin your growing season.

I ordered nearly $100 worth of bare root items. The quality of plants from this company was terrible. Very small and inconsistent. For example, I ordered a package of 3 patriot blueberry bushes for $29.99, 2 were small little sticks about a foot long, but the 3rd just an even tinier 3 inch broken stub. Same for other items. They were packaged poorly and after planting and waiting 6 weeks, most items never even sprouted a leaf.

Now I am into the summer and it's too late for this year. They require you write a detailed explanatory letter begging for replacement plants, then mail it with the original shipping label, and they MIGHT send replacements 2-3 weeks AFTER receiving your letter. This means the whole labored process will take 4-6 weeks. Ugh!! I called, but they will NOT process anything over the phone or email. ONLY standard snail mail even though I ordered from the website. And remember, NO REFUNDS. So you are basically out of luck for the current growing season and can NEVER get your money back even though the plants are in horrible condition. I have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: May 17, 2017

On February 22, 2017 I ordered 2 English Walnuts and 1 American Butternut from Four Seasons Nursery. All 3 trees arrived by mid-March. The English Walnuts had great roots systems, but the American Butternut was sent bare root and had so few roots there is no way it could live. However, I planted all 3 trees and English Walnuts are doing quite well; however the Butternut is dead and as of 5/17/2017 has not even put on a bud.

Upon reviewing my invoice I discovered that Four Seasons Nursery will not accept a return from a original invoice; they require the shipping label. How many non-business ordinary gardening people keeping shipping labels? Therefore, I contacted Four Seasons Nursery by email on 4/12/17 and was told by their company representative that they would make a single exception in my case if I would submit proof of payment in a letter to their company. I did so and mailed on 4/13/2017.

On 4/28/2017 I received a note from Four Seasons along with my letter to them in which they did not honor what their customer service representative told me; they would not replace the tree or refund my money. What kind of company does not honor what they tell a customer? You can rest assured I will never order from this company again! Supporting documents are attached below.

Original review: May 4, 2017

We ordered plants on April 16th 2017 from them. I sure wish I had read these complaints before we placed the order. We spent $60.00 and have been trying to get shipping information. Our stuff hasn't shipped yet (based on the website) and I was thinking of cancelling. Based on everything I've read, it sounds like our stuff won't be any good anyway. Called them numerous times and got the busy signal just like the other reviews. Have sent 3 emails and no answer. I knew it was too good to be true and I guess you I should have went with my gut. If I can't get thru, I'm contacting the credit card company.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I placed a large order ($154.00) in late Jan 2017 for spring planting. I never received an acknowledgement of my order, a thank you status, nothing. About 2 weeks later I tried to call. It rang but no answer. I tried emailing, no response. I waited a month, their website does state "will be mailed during planting season and you may not get everything together". I tried calling and emailing again, nothing.

I waited until I was deep in planting season in central Alabama and tried to email again with no results. I contacted the BBB and within 3 days, I had my total and complete order. A week later, I received a letter from 4 Seasons Nursery telling me they had replied to my emails. Funny it never came to my inbox. No apologies, no sorry for the inconvenience. I felt like their letter was scolding me for contacting BBB. I got an email from BBB yesterday saying my complaint was closed because 4 Seasons did not respond to them either!! At least my complaint will be in their file and when there are more (and I am sure there will be) action will be taken. What a crappy way to run a business!!! Now... On another note, my plants all came in the same big plastic bag, bare root and I thought why bother. But I planted them and am happy to say everything is sprouting and doing well. Never again, Four Seasons Nursery, never again.

Four Seasons Nursery Company Information