1.10/5
Based on 80 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

84 Four Seasons Nursery Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 31, 2018

Poorest customer service I've ever dealt with. Can't be reached by phone for any reason, only Email response. Extremely slow order time and when inquired was told basically I need to wait my turn and that their process time was approx. one week. Took about two months for them to process. To top it off they were supposed to send me three Paw Paw trees, Instead I receive five. Issue being only two were properly wrapped and alive. The other three were bare unprotected dead sticks. Now they require me to send back the original shipping label in order to get what I paid for in the first place. Never again!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Placed order online and paid by credit on 4/12/18. Said 2-3 weeks for order. Contact 5/15 by email since their phone is ALWAYS busy no matter what time you call. I get instant generic email reply. About 2 days later I get reply from someone saying they are just now working on the orders for my zone. 10 days later finally get email confirmation on 5/25 that it has shipped with FedEx. No update until 5/28 that it finally was picked up and dropped off at USPS. Went to pick up today 5/29/18 to get trees planted before we get a few days rain Only to find trees missing. Ordered 8 green giants. Only got 2.

Thankfully my red maples and weeping willows seem to be okay so far. Had pep-start pills in my order. They were just powder that spread through the entire bag and covering everything. Tried to call again. Go figure. Line busy. Sent email about this issue. Wondering how long to get this fixed. I will never give a good comment to others about this company. Nothing but headaches and a waiting game.

Get expert buying tips about Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Sent order 4/18 with check. They cashed check 4/25. I tried to call and line busy constantly. I emailed and received one response that it takes 2-3 weeks for processing and then order shipped “weather permitting “. Well it is over 3 weeks and this is 5/21, so no excuse for not shipping. I have emailed 2 additional times and been ignored. I have opened a complaint with BBB and suggest everyone else do the same. I believe numerous complaints have been started and perhaps a class action lawsuit can be brought against this company. I am going to look into that with the AG office. I paid by check, never got an order number but my order was received bc check was cashed.

Updated on 06/02/2018: Apparently there is nothing you can do about this company except do not get taken by them initially. I have waited since April after they cashed my check. I sent emails of which I received one response that said nothing but falsehoods. I said refund my money. I contacted BBB and said refund my money. Today 6/2 I received a green bag at my door that had been packaged on Sat 5/26, that is 7 days ago. Most of the pitiful items are dried up and dead or unrecognizable as to what I ordered. The BBB is of little to no help. The items received are crap and what you expect to find at end of season trash pile. Moral of this story, do not ever, ever buy from this shady company or expect to receive garbage when they decide to send it to you.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Place an order on Monday, April 16, 2018 for the amount of $153.16. Here we are on May 17, 2018 and we have not received any of the plants and flowers that we order. We have tried to contact them numerous times at the number provided on the catalog which is (309) 834-7200. That number always have a busy signal or nobody answers the phone on purpose. I demand answers from somebody on why they are not answering the phone to their customers and why they are not replying to our e-mail.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I purchased $129.92 worth of plants. I ordered on the 7 of April. I received the tomatoes on the or around the 3rd of May. I waited for the tomatoes for almost a month. Today is the 15th of May, and I have not received the rest of my order. The tomatoes came broken off from the plant. The soil was totally dried, and the plants were dead.

I called today and spoke to someone in customer care. She told me that for me to get my credit back, I needed to send the plants back to your company. I paid for Item 7581 Giant Hybrid Beefmaster Tomato Plants Item#: 7581 4 for 5.79. The customer service woman told me to be able to get a credit, I needed to send the box with the tomatoes back to the company. I asked for a label with postage paid by the company to send the items back. She told me it was the company's policy not to send postage to the customer. I would have to pay for postage and send the tomatoes back in order to get the credit. I shop online from many companies. If something is damaged not due to my fault, the company always sends the postage to return the item. Imagine, the tomatoes came almost one month late.

Now I have to drive to the post office or to UPS. It will take about 1 hour and 1/2 for me to return the package, use my gas, and pay for that size box at the post office about $10.00 for a 5.79 items. I was very surprised with their return policy. It is not my fault the tomatoes came dried, broken, and I could not plant them. This is the first time I purchase items from Four Seasons Nursery company, and the last.

Besides my order taking without the tomatoes, 1 month and 17 or so days, today is the 15th and I have not received my order for the rest of the items ordered. Four Seasons Nursery wants me to invest time, gas, and my $10.00 or so to send back the box of tomatoes. They offered no solutions to rectify their damaged goods. Four Seasons Nursery's solution to send back the box is timely and expensive. Why should I spend time and money to send their damaged item back? They can keep the money, they need it more than me. I WILL NEVER, EVER BUY ONE CENT FROM FOUR SEASONS NURSERY. I will tell all my friends of the poor job you did sending the tomatoes plants. I do hope the rest of the order comes in with healthy plants. I took pictures of the tomatoes when I received the package, but there is no way of attaching the pictures I took of the box when I opened it. I am a very unhappy customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Four Seasons Nursery?

Original review: May 11, 2018

Ordered some flowering plants in the fall of 2017 worth over $50. When arrived, they all were dried up. I called the company, they mentioned to go ahead and plant them, and wait for spring to see how they survive. Well, spring is here and not surprisingly, none but one plant has come alive. I tried calling the company, but their phone line always gives a busy signal. I do not recommend buying from them. I know I will not do any business with them again.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I ordered hundreds of dollars of trees, flowering shrubs, and perennial plants. The quality was so bad that I do not expect to succeed in getting the plants to survive. The hybrid poplar trees are sprouts with dried roots; what roots were left on the sprouts. Each sprout was from a rootstock that varied in an 60-degree angle from the rootstock. I ordered trees not rootstock. The flowering shrubs were less than 10 inch tall in a small cup along with the elephant ears. The rest of the plants I ordered were small roots placed in a plastic bag. What a joke! This company needs to be put out of business! Stay away, go to a reliable company or better, go to a local nursery.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I ordered three bare-root plants of Black-Eyed Susans for $6.99 and only one of the three plant arrived in a plastic bag that was marked to contain 3 plants. Another item never arrived nor was there an explanation. The order was marked as filled by #**. When there are so many companies to order plants why should I ever come back here again? I've learned my lesson.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Never purchase from here, unless you can visit in person. Worst customer service ever. If you are going to do business in this century and use the internet; then please be able to address returns or complaints using the same internet that you took the Money from. I ordered 24 plants and received 18. After being made to the use snail mail to request what I was missing two times I was then told I was only charged for 18. Great customer service.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I bought 24 blue spruce, 4 pecan trees, 2 blueberry plants and 40 privet hedge on March 31, 2017. I planted everything shortly after receiving them. Within a month everything but the blueberry plants were dead. I wanted a refund minus the blueberry. They said it had to be within 14 days, they didn't die that fast. They replaced them and I quickly planted them. Two weeks and they were all dead. I am not going to plant them 3 times. I wish I had read reviews before buying. This company is nothing more than a scam, they sell GARBAGE. Do not waste your money. I threw away $160.90 on CRAP! Since only the 2 blueberries lived they cost $80 each. RIPOFF!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I swear this business is run out of somebody's basement. They must have tons of 1st time customers and very little repeat business. Lord, let's see: #1 - it took well over a month to get the order. #2 - I ordered 2 blueberry bushes and got 2 sweet pea plants instead (That died). The thing that I really wanted was the blue rose bush. I planted that. It was the only thing that looked half alive. It's not in a really sunny area so it took a while and finally I saw buds. Tonight I came home and one had opened. Was it blue? Hell no, it was red! I don't believe a blue rose bush exists.

I emailed them tonight. I'd been in contact with them like everybody else here has. I won't hold my breath for a replacement, and if I did get one, it'll probably be red again. I cannot believe they can even stay in business. They charged my card for the order and had my money a month before they even processed it. They are the absolute worst, hands down. I don't think I've seen anybody rate them with more than 1 star. I will definitely check this site before buying anything again.

Original review: July 9, 2017

On April 19, 2017 I sent a check for $40.97 for Canadian Hemlock. The order that came was less than satisfactory to put it mildly. Most of the plants were dry, small and poorly packaged. I planted them all in good soil and to date only one or two look like they will live. I was expecting plants that could produce good size in a few years, not forever. This is the most pathetic rip off ever.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I ordered several plants and the Bonfire Euphorbia are 1'' tall and may possibly be seen in the massive garden in 10 years. They arrived dead and nursing them back to life. I now have 1'' plants mostly dead. This is not the description in their catalog.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I have been suckered twice. Last year I ordered in late spring. My ordered was filled in September. I was so concerned that planting that late that I would have no success. Some of the free bulbs did grow but, not until this spring. Other things did not even come to me live. The weeping willow was a complete dud. This year I took another chance and ordered early but, again I've planted sticks. The dogwood, white birch, tulip trees are getting water and fertilizers but, again duds. I figured it was my loss because I had forgotten that they were the company I ordered from last year.

Now, their name will be forever etched in my brain. I agree with one of the other complaints. Their catalog is bright and beautiful and very intriguing. The outcome is much more disappointing. The cash is gone and the enthusiasm is dimmed. I did nothing to contact them or anyone else in regards to recovering anything. How does the saying go? Trick me once, shame on you. Trick me twice, shame on me! I also never received a confirmation for the order, a thank you for the order nor, an invoice with the order even, spending near a hundred dollars. But, hopefully my experience will help others to NOT ORDER from them. I did not do the research I should have before ordering. If their catalog shows up in the mail I will immediately add it to the recycle bin.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I ordered $108. worth of plants from you on March 23, 2017. Ordered off of the web **. I cannot send a copy of the invoice from the web because there is no place on here to allow me to. I am not at all happy with this order. I called Capital One the day your order arrived which was 2 days after I called in and complained and so I noticed the roots sticking out of the bag. So I decided to go ahead and plant them, but maybe half are alive. So I do not want anymore.

I cannot send the invoice because Capital One kept it when I filed a complaint. Which they refuse to acknowledge. I do not want any replacements. The 12 burning bushes were dead, the 2 pecan trees, 4 rose of Sharon, and 10 of the purple leaf plum hedges are dead. I will never order from your company again. You waited to send it when I reported it to my credit card. The roots were sticking out of the plastic bag. They never ever contacted me of a delivery.

Original review: June 6, 2017

This company has beautiful looking magazines and great pictures of all kinds of beautiful plants on their website. Only thing is, NOTHING you get in the mail will even closely resemble the description or the photo of the items. And getting a refund is nearly impossible and the replacement process for the poorly handled and poorly packaged tiny plants is extremely time consuming and will ruin your growing season.

I ordered nearly $100 worth of bare root items. The quality of plants from this company was terrible. Very small and inconsistent. For example, I ordered a package of 3 patriot blueberry bushes for $29.99, 2 were small little sticks about a foot long, but the 3rd just an even tinier 3 inch broken stub. Same for other items. They were packaged poorly and after planting and waiting 6 weeks, most items never even sprouted a leaf.

Now I am into the summer and it's too late for this year. They require you write a detailed explanatory letter begging for replacement plants, then mail it with the original shipping label, and they MIGHT send replacements 2-3 weeks AFTER receiving your letter. This means the whole labored process will take 4-6 weeks. Ugh!! I called, but they will NOT process anything over the phone or email. ONLY standard snail mail even though I ordered from the website. And remember, NO REFUNDS. So you are basically out of luck for the current growing season and can NEVER get your money back even though the plants are in horrible condition. I have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: May 17, 2017

On February 22, 2017 I ordered 2 English Walnuts and 1 American Butternut from Four Seasons Nursery. All 3 trees arrived by mid-March. The English Walnuts had great roots systems, but the American Butternut was sent bare root and had so few roots there is no way it could live. However, I planted all 3 trees and English Walnuts are doing quite well; however the Butternut is dead and as of 5/17/2017 has not even put on a bud.

Upon reviewing my invoice I discovered that Four Seasons Nursery will not accept a return from a original invoice; they require the shipping label. How many non-business ordinary gardening people keeping shipping labels? Therefore, I contacted Four Seasons Nursery by email on 4/12/17 and was told by their company representative that they would make a single exception in my case if I would submit proof of payment in a letter to their company. I did so and mailed on 4/13/2017.

On 4/28/2017 I received a note from Four Seasons along with my letter to them in which they did not honor what their customer service representative told me; they would not replace the tree or refund my money. What kind of company does not honor what they tell a customer? You can rest assured I will never order from this company again! Supporting documents are attached below.

Original review: May 4, 2017

We ordered plants on April 16th 2017 from them. I sure wish I had read these complaints before we placed the order. We spent $60.00 and have been trying to get shipping information. Our stuff hasn't shipped yet (based on the website) and I was thinking of cancelling. Based on everything I've read, it sounds like our stuff won't be any good anyway. Called them numerous times and got the busy signal just like the other reviews. Have sent 3 emails and no answer. I knew it was too good to be true and I guess you I should have went with my gut. If I can't get thru, I'm contacting the credit card company.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I placed a large order ($154.00) in late Jan 2017 for spring planting. I never received an acknowledgement of my order, a thank you status, nothing. About 2 weeks later I tried to call. It rang but no answer. I tried emailing, no response. I waited a month, their website does state "will be mailed during planting season and you may not get everything together". I tried calling and emailing again, nothing.

I waited until I was deep in planting season in central Alabama and tried to email again with no results. I contacted the BBB and within 3 days, I had my total and complete order. A week later, I received a letter from 4 Seasons Nursery telling me they had replied to my emails. Funny it never came to my inbox. No apologies, no sorry for the inconvenience. I felt like their letter was scolding me for contacting BBB. I got an email from BBB yesterday saying my complaint was closed because 4 Seasons did not respond to them either!! At least my complaint will be in their file and when there are more (and I am sure there will be) action will be taken. What a crappy way to run a business!!! Now... On another note, my plants all came in the same big plastic bag, bare root and I thought why bother. But I planted them and am happy to say everything is sprouting and doing well. Never again, Four Seasons Nursery, never again.

Original review: April 30, 2017

In April of 2016 I ordered 6 Berry bushes, they arrived way before it was time to plant, but I planted them when it was safe to plant in my area. All 6 NEVER did anything, so in November I dug them up and returned them, asking for a refund, if that was not possible a replacement. In March of 2017 the replacement arrived and was left on my porch, unfortunately, it was a day when the temperature was 10 degrees with a wind chill of -5 degrees. I tried to call but the telephone would ring as busy after one ring or just a busy signal.

I sent them an e-mail on March 13th 2017 with no reply. I then sent them a written letter, via the Post Office, on March 30, 2017. Stating that they had been sent way too early for my planting time zone of 5, I am in upstate New York about 200 miles south of the Canadian border. When after another 2 weeks had passed, I took the UNOPENED package to my post office to return to sender as refused. I finally received a reply around the 25th of April with a reply dated April 14th. Inside was my original letter and envelope, as well as the orders for the original and replacements. These showed my zone to be H, after researching it on the computer it showed H to be a part of the Sierra Nevada Mountain range, instructions to return the package with an alternate date that I wanted them to arrive or how to take care of the plants until it was safe to plant.

I then called and told the order person that I had returned the package marked refused. I was informed that they did not accept refused packages as it would cost them $20.00. Since I had already paid once to return the original order, I refused the replacement as I did not think it was my responsibility to pay for their mistake in sending them too early.

They now want me to return everything they sent back with instructions as what they want me to do about them sending a replacement. Since I refused them and do not have them, I am quite sure that nothing will ever be done to remedy the problem. I would like my original purchase price refunded and not a credit voucher. A voucher would never be used as I WILL NEVER ORDER from them again and if anyone ask about their service I will gladly tell them about my experience. I only wish that I had found this site before ordering.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I made a call to Four Seasons Nursery, a company from Bloomington IL. I wanted to know if my order had processed, and I had the misfortune of speaking with the most unprofessional customer service representative, who kept interrupting me, and I was not able to get two words in. So, I asked to speak with a manager or supervisor. She informed me that there was a supervisor available, but felt compelled to lecture me before transferring me. I ended up so angry, that I hung up the phone, and I sent an email canceling my order instead. That was not my intention when I got on the phone.

However, a company that employs such an individual, needs to know that individual, represents the company. They are the face and voice of the company. Four Seasons showed an ugly face through this representative, and I want no part of what goods they sell, even if their prices are cheap. I wish I would have seen their ratings before I placed my orders. That's a mistake I won't make again.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I ordered plants about a month ago and it is now planting season in my state NC. I have been trying to call them to see when I would receive my order, then I started reading other reviews. To be honest I wish I would have read these first before ordering, I don't think I would have ordered. But since their number is always busy and I can't get in touch with them I am assuming the worst. Either the plants will arrive dead or not at all. I will keep trying to call and also I guess I don't have a choice on waiting it out. But will write a review when I finally get my order.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I ordered 176 dollars worth of plants. They also set in the post office over weekend and they were in bad shape but I planted them anyway. None of the roses made it and pretty much all the bulbs either. I sent my shipping label and written letter that they died or didn't come up and they sent me vouchers and I've sent them by with my replacement orders but have yet received anything. I would not recommend. They don't replace. It's been two months. Time to plant. Don't understand why they in businesses.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I ordered mar 15. On 16th I emailed them to cancel order. On mar 20 they ran my card. I've emailed multiple times trying to get my money. They will not respond to me. After several days I finally got them to answer their phone. Was told nothing was shipped and I would get a refund. Nothing yet. I think they ripped me off.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I spent $169 on roses last March. I had some that didn't live so I asked for a replacement on the dead roses. First I called and asked what I had to do. They told me I had to send the shipping label and a letter describing how they died, proof of purchase and other stuff. I said I didn't have the shipping label and she said to send the bank statement with the purchase on it. I did this and a few weeks later I was suppose to rewrite my letter and the shipping label. Again I said I didn't have it but I was told to send a new letter.

In a few weeks later I got another letter stating I need to rewrite it again and send the label. I called them and they told me to resend it with special wording and the proof of purchase. I did this one more time and today I got it back again after sending them the order numbers of the dead roses with each correspondence telling me I needed to send how many of the 2 toned roses died. I only ordered one. How stupid of me. SEND THE SHIPPING LABEL TOO... I also got 4 free ones when I ordered them and they wanted to know what they were. How the hell do I know. They were free. So I called them to just keep the damn roses. I refuse for someone to insult my intelligence. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I have it over them big time. AND I STILL DON'T HAVE THE SHIPPING LABEL.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

This company makes you jump through too many hoops when returning defective plant material. Returned once with label and they said my tree may not be dead, give it more time. I'm 61 and know a dead tree when I see one. After two attempts, they mailed out new material. 60+ days later, same tree species dead. Returned label mailed back asking for refund. They write back asking for returned label to be sent! Are they really this stupid or just deceptive or perhaps both. So now must contact them again and explain they already received that shipping label. And by the way, can't you people see that you mailed me this material in the first place over 60 days ago?? Incompetent people, borderline deceptive policies and poor products. Don't do business here.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

The plants I ordered were tiny, I mean really tiny and of the 9 wisteria plants not one lived. Of the Hybiscus only one lived and on the Hybiscus they advertise multi colored but I got ALL white and when I ask for a refund on the dead plants and mentioned that the Hybiscus were all white not multi colored, they responded that just because they said the plants were multi colored that didn't mean I would GET multi colored??? On the dead plants they said the plants would have been returned within 14 days of receiving them. I ask you, how would I know they weren't going to put out greenery and live in just 4 days??? If you feel the need to buy plants from 4 seasons just burn your money. You will just as much for your money as if you bought their plants and you don't have to pay shipping. Pass the word on these people, they don't need to be allowed to be in business when they are basically stealing money from people.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

On 5-3-16 we ordered 16 Thujas from said nursery. 4 weeks later we received only 15 which we planted immediately. We have planted many trees in the past and know how to treat them. 6 of them died within a few weeks. We tried to call the company - phone always busy. Contacted them twice via their website mail - never received a reply and their phone is still busy! Spend a few more bucks and get plants from reliable sources!!! These folks need to be out of business!

Original review: June 28, 2016

I ordered plants from the above listed company and upon receiving the order, I knew it was not going to be a good experience. The order came through the P.O. and Sat in the hot back of the building all weekend. Now mind you, the plants were shipped in a large, heavy, red plastic bag! Can plants breath in plastic?? No, they most certainly cannot. Upon opening the red bag up, I find wilted and droopy plants. I take them all out and put the trees and bushes roots in water and take all the plants out of the plastic that is around their roots. They are planted with two hours of unpacking. Days later, plants have died so I contact the company. I am advised to send the original shipping label and a letter stating what was wrong with the plants and how they died. I did this and never heard another word back until I contacted them almost one month later.

I did receive the replacement plants on that same day, however upon opening the package (again plastic), I find already dead or dying plants. I take photo's and contact the company again. Long story short, is we go back and forth on email from my first contact on 02-29-2016 when I placed the order. As you can see, it is now the 28 of June. I have asked for a full refund but I doubt I will ever see it.

This company sells bad/dying/very small or in the process of dying plants. I have gardened all my life and at 51 years of age, I think I know if a plant is dead, dying, bare root, dormant, etc. They do not communicate with you, it seems they like to avoid you instead. Their method of shipment sucks, not only by using a P.O. and not a residential address but by putting them in plastic where they cannot breathe. I recommend steering completely clear of this terrible company. I will also be contacting the Illinois State Better Business Bureau and lodging a complaint with them as well!

Original review: June 27, 2016

Ordered over $50 worth of plants. Live in Buffalo NY. Plants were delivered 4/1/16. The ground was still frozen solid and we still had snow! Tried my best to keep them alive until I could plant. Most of them didn't make it after planting so I called customer service. In order to get any kind of a refund I had to label and package the dead plants and ship them back. I had the label but it wasn't good enough. If they had of died six months from now I would not have had to send the dead plants. Also, three year ago I ordered a peony tree for $30. It's growing but not high. Looked on the internet to see what I could expect. Looked at my tree - surprise - I have an ordinary peony bush which sold for about a third of the price. It's pretty but not what I wanted and paid for. Scam artists with rude customer service. Never again.

Four Seasons Nursery Company Information