Four Seasons Nursery

Compare Lawn & Garden

Research top Lawn & Garden recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Karen of Cassown, OH on

We ordered plants on April 16th 2017 from them. I sure wish I had read these complaints before we placed the order. We spent $60.00 and have been trying to get shipping information. Our stuff hasn't shipped yet (based on the website) and I was thinking of cancelling. Based on everything I've read, it sounds like our stuff won't be any good anyway. Called them numerous times and got the busy signal just like the other reviews. Have sent 3 emails and no answer. I knew it was too good to be true and I guess you I should have went with my gut. If I can't get thru, I'm contacting the credit card company.

betti of Bessemer, AL on

I placed a large order ($154.00) in late Jan 2017 for spring planting. I never received an acknowledgement of my order, a thank you status, nothing. About 2 weeks later I tried to call. It rang but no answer. I tried emailing, no response. I waited a month, their website does state "will be mailed during planting season and you may not get everything together". I tried calling and emailing again, nothing.

I waited until I was deep in planting season in central Alabama and tried to email again with no results. I contacted the BBB and within 3 days, I had my total and complete order. A week later, I received a letter from 4 Seasons Nursery telling me they had replied to my emails. Funny it never came to my inbox. No apologies, no sorry for the inconvenience. I felt like their letter was scolding me for contacting BBB. I got an email from BBB yesterday saying my complaint was closed because 4 Seasons did not respond to them either!! At least my complaint will be in their file and when there are more (and I am sure there will be) action will be taken. What a crappy way to run a business!!! Now... On another note, my plants all came in the same big plastic bag, bare root and I thought why bother. But I planted them and am happy to say everything is sprouting and doing well. Never again, Four Seasons Nursery, never again.

Leatrice of Corinth, NY on

In April of 2016 I ordered 6 Berry bushes, they arrived way before it was time to plant, but I planted them when it was safe to plant in my area. All 6 NEVER did anything, so in November I dug them up and returned them, asking for a refund, if that was not possible a replacement. In March of 2017 the replacement arrived and was left on my porch, unfortunately, it was a day when the temperature was 10 degrees with a wind chill of -5 degrees. I tried to call but the telephone would ring as busy after one ring or just a busy signal.

I sent them an e-mail on March 13th 2017 with no reply. I then sent them a written letter, via the Post Office, on March 30, 2017. Stating that they had been sent way too early for my planting time zone of 5, I am in upstate New York about 200 miles south of the Canadian border. When after another 2 weeks had passed, I took the UNOPENED package to my post office to return to sender as refused. I finally received a reply around the 25th of April with a reply dated April 14th. Inside was my original letter and envelope, as well as the orders for the original and replacements. These showed my zone to be H, after researching it on the computer it showed H to be a part of the Sierra Nevada Mountain range, instructions to return the package with an alternate date that I wanted them to arrive or how to take care of the plants until it was safe to plant.

I then called and told the order person that I had returned the package marked refused. I was informed that they did not accept refused packages as it would cost them $20.00. Since I had already paid once to return the original order, I refused the replacement as I did not think it was my responsibility to pay for their mistake in sending them too early.

They now want me to return everything they sent back with instructions as what they want me to do about them sending a replacement. Since I refused them and do not have them, I am quite sure that nothing will ever be done to remedy the problem. I would like my original purchase price refunded and not a credit voucher. A voucher would never be used as I WILL NEVER ORDER from them again and if anyone ask about their service I will gladly tell them about my experience. I only wish that I had found this site before ordering.

Lillian of Port Orchard, WA on

I made a call to Four Seasons Nursery, a company from Bloomington IL. I wanted to know if my order had processed, and I had the misfortune of speaking with the most unprofessional customer service representative, who kept interrupting me, and I was not able to get two words in. So, I asked to speak with a manager or supervisor. She informed me that there was a supervisor available, but felt compelled to lecture me before transferring me. I ended up so angry, that I hung up the phone, and I sent an email canceling my order instead. That was not my intention when I got on the phone.

However, a company that employs such an individual, needs to know that individual, represents the company. They are the face and voice of the company. Four Seasons showed an ugly face through this representative, and I want no part of what goods they sell, even if their prices are cheap. I wish I would have seen their ratings before I placed my orders. That's a mistake I won't make again.

Sherry of Indian Trail, NC on

I ordered plants about a month ago and it is now planting season in my state NC. I have been trying to call them to see when I would receive my order, then I started reading other reviews. To be honest I wish I would have read these first before ordering, I don't think I would have ordered. But since their number is always busy and I can't get in touch with them I am assuming the worst. Either the plants will arrive dead or not at all. I will keep trying to call and also I guess I don't have a choice on waiting it out. But will write a review when I finally get my order.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Four Seasons Nursery?

Theresa of Ashland, KS on

I ordered 176 dollars worth of plants. They also set in the post office over weekend and they were in bad shape but I planted them anyway. None of the roses made it and pretty much all the bulbs either. I sent my shipping label and written letter that they died or didn't come up and they sent me vouchers and I've sent them by with my replacement orders but have yet received anything. I would not recommend. They don't replace. It's been two months. Time to plant. Don't understand why they in businesses.

Dorothy of Dale, IN on

I ordered mar 15. On 16th I emailed them to cancel order. On mar 20 they ran my card. I've emailed multiple times trying to get my money. They will not respond to me. After several days I finally got them to answer their phone. Was told nothing was shipped and I would get a refund. Nothing yet. I think they ripped me off.

Vivian of Union Bridge, MD on

I spent $169 on roses last March. I had some that didn't live so I asked for a replacement on the dead roses. First I called and asked what I had to do. They told me I had to send the shipping label and a letter describing how they died, proof of purchase and other stuff. I said I didn't have the shipping label and she said to send the bank statement with the purchase on it. I did this and a few weeks later I was suppose to rewrite my letter and the shipping label. Again I said I didn't have it but I was told to send a new letter.

In a few weeks later I got another letter stating I need to rewrite it again and send the label. I called them and they told me to resend it with special wording and the proof of purchase. I did this one more time and today I got it back again after sending them the order numbers of the dead roses with each correspondence telling me I needed to send how many of the 2 toned roses died. I only ordered one. How stupid of me. SEND THE SHIPPING LABEL TOO... I also got 4 free ones when I ordered them and they wanted to know what they were. How the hell do I know. They were free. So I called them to just keep the damn roses. I refuse for someone to insult my intelligence. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I have it over them big time. AND I STILL DON'T HAVE THE SHIPPING LABEL.

Chris of Wyoming, MI on

This company makes you jump through too many hoops when returning defective plant material. Returned once with label and they said my tree may not be dead, give it more time. I'm 61 and know a dead tree when I see one. After two attempts, they mailed out new material. 60+ days later, same tree species dead. Returned label mailed back asking for refund. They write back asking for returned label to be sent! Are they really this stupid or just deceptive or perhaps both. So now must contact them again and explain they already received that shipping label. And by the way, can't you people see that you mailed me this material in the first place over 60 days ago?? Incompetent people, borderline deceptive policies and poor products. Don't do business here.

susan of Bluffton, AR on

The plants I ordered were tiny, I mean really tiny and of the 9 wisteria plants not one lived. Of the Hybiscus only one lived and on the Hybiscus they advertise multi colored but I got ALL white and when I ask for a refund on the dead plants and mentioned that the Hybiscus were all white not multi colored, they responded that just because they said the plants were multi colored that didn't mean I would GET multi colored??? On the dead plants they said the plants would have been returned within 14 days of receiving them. I ask you, how would I know they weren't going to put out greenery and live in just 4 days??? If you feel the need to buy plants from 4 seasons just burn your money. You will just as much for your money as if you bought their plants and you don't have to pay shipping. Pass the word on these people, they don't need to be allowed to be in business when they are basically stealing money from people.

Renate of Laurelville, OH on

On 5-3-16 we ordered 16 Thujas from said nursery. 4 weeks later we received only 15 which we planted immediately. We have planted many trees in the past and know how to treat them. 6 of them died within a few weeks. We tried to call the company - phone always busy. Contacted them twice via their website mail - never received a reply and their phone is still busy! Spend a few more bucks and get plants from reliable sources!!! These folks need to be out of business!

Vicky of Agra, KS on

I ordered plants from the above listed company and upon receiving the order, I knew it was not going to be a good experience. The order came through the P.O. and Sat in the hot back of the building all weekend. Now mind you, the plants were shipped in a large, heavy, red plastic bag! Can plants breath in plastic?? No, they most certainly cannot. Upon opening the red bag up, I find wilted and droopy plants. I take them all out and put the trees and bushes roots in water and take all the plants out of the plastic that is around their roots. They are planted with two hours of unpacking. Days later, plants have died so I contact the company. I am advised to send the original shipping label and a letter stating what was wrong with the plants and how they died. I did this and never heard another word back until I contacted them almost one month later.

I did receive the replacement plants on that same day, however upon opening the package (again plastic), I find already dead or dying plants. I take photo's and contact the company again. Long story short, is we go back and forth on email from my first contact on 02-29-2016 when I placed the order. As you can see, it is now the 28 of June. I have asked for a full refund but I doubt I will ever see it.

This company sells bad/dying/very small or in the process of dying plants. I have gardened all my life and at 51 years of age, I think I know if a plant is dead, dying, bare root, dormant, etc. They do not communicate with you, it seems they like to avoid you instead. Their method of shipment sucks, not only by using a P.O. and not a residential address but by putting them in plastic where they cannot breathe. I recommend steering completely clear of this terrible company. I will also be contacting the Illinois State Better Business Bureau and lodging a complaint with them as well!

Sharon of Buffalo, NY on

Ordered over $50 worth of plants. Live in Buffalo NY. Plants were delivered 4/1/16. The ground was still frozen solid and we still had snow! Tried my best to keep them alive until I could plant. Most of them didn't make it after planting so I called customer service. In order to get any kind of a refund I had to label and package the dead plants and ship them back. I had the label but it wasn't good enough. If they had of died six months from now I would not have had to send the dead plants. Also, three year ago I ordered a peony tree for $30. It's growing but not high. Looked on the internet to see what I could expect. Looked at my tree - surprise - I have an ordinary peony bush which sold for about a third of the price. It's pretty but not what I wanted and paid for. Scam artists with rude customer service. Never again.

Karen of Severn, MD on

DO NOT GET RIPPED OFF!! RUN! I am an avid gardener of several acres even doing side jobs for friends and small businesses. I have done gardening for my church and the nursing homes and cemeteries where my parents were buried. I bought almost $100 of seedling bushes and trees. I was attracted to the low price because I was planting a large area as a donation to a small church. I might also add, I have purchased many bare root plants successfully from other companies. Theirs however, arrived black, dead, smaller than stated, mere wisp and the roots had mold.

I called immediately because a short window is one of their MANY loopholes not to stand behind the plants or issue refund. They promised to resend the plants. 2 weeks later when didn't arrive I called again and they said I had waited too long. I said and did all of things you would expect from one just ripped off. They ultimately kept my money. NEVER again. ALSO they do business under other names. Stay away! House of Wesley - 1704 Morrissey Dr. Bloomington Ill 61704,

Four Seasons Nurseries - 1706 Morrissey Dr. Bloomington, Ill. 61704, Burgess seed and plant Company - 905 four seasons rd. Bloomington, Ill. 61701, Farmer seed and Nursery - 1706 Morrissey Dr. Bloomington, Ill. 61704. These nurseries are all under Plantron Inc. 1706 Bloomington, Ill. 61704y from their subsidiaries. I don't know how they are still in business. It's so sad they can get away with this.

Chris of Kennewick, WA on

We purchase a large order of plants from this company. Some plants never arrived and some died within a week. They make it virtually impossible to get replacements and refunds. Don't throw away package label when it arrives. Better yet, don't buy from this terrible company. They will only cancel your order if you send them a letter, not an email, and if plants do not survive you have to send the label or proof of purchase in the mail to get replacements and a refund. They admit they know you purchased plants and what they are, but refuse to do anything except take your order over the phone. I wish I could give this company negative 5 stars.

Sharon of Tool, TX on

I purchased $83.00 of plants. The 20 Poplar trees were marked and the 8 Forsythias were also marked, then there were 2 unmarked bags with I don't know what? shoved in them, as far as I can tell it was the 6 Honeysuckle. I was missing 12 Hosta's, 2 Adams Needle Yucca's and 2 Bleeding Hearts. The Roots that came were no 1-2 feet. They are sparse weeds about 2-3 inches. It also took a month for them to get the product to me and then 1/2 was missing and because they weren't marked I'm not sure what 1/2. I will never buy from this supplier again. Their shipping department needs a lot of training. I'm sending this stuff back and now I will update on how long the fight will be for me to get my refund, I'm already out shipping to and from. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!

Shawna of Garden City, MO on

I placed an order on 3/25/16 for nearly $300. The money was deducted on 3/31/16 from my bank account. The website says 1-2 weeks for processing. On 4/7/16 I was told my order was in processing and would take 1-2 weeks. On 4/20/16 I emailed and was told my order was in the shipping department and ready to go out. On 4/26/16 I emailed and was told part of my order was backed up and the order would go out when they arrived. I called and explained I was already told that it was in the shipping department. I was also told the product had just arrived and would be shipping by the end of the week. 5/2/16 I received another email that the product was still not in. They can provide no guarantee of shipping, refuse to let you speak with a manager, have horrible customer service! I have demanded a full refund and I am posting a negative review everywhere I can so nobody orders from this company every again!!!

Melvyn of Danvers, MA on

I ordered over $80.00 worth of plants. I got pots with seedlings (some empty or dead), dried up twigs, plants which I doubt will survive. The entire order was GARBAGE. I would not have bought one single plant which was delivered if I had seen what I was getting. I feel my order was not worth $20.00. These little twigs will not be actually visible, if they survive. Also order was delivered weeks too soon so I have been working hard to keep these already half dead plants alive. I did not send back because it is not worth the hassle. I wish I had read these reviews before ordering. Their catalog is worth more than the entire order. I don't understand why the government does not shut down this RIP-OFF COMPANY. They are aware that their products are garbage and they send them anyway. Would be different story if only a couple were under par. The entire order is just about worthless.

DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY. They should be fined or imprisoned for this sort of stealing from people. I do not have the paperwork. I was so disappointed in myself for falling for this farce of a company that I just threw it away. From the complaints already here it is doubtful they would care about my concerns anyway. It is not like they sent this crap by accident.

Corky of Rulo, NE on

In Feb 2016 I placed an order for over $80. The order came March 30th with items missing and items in the bag that were dead. I contacted the company about the problems and was told they needed my name and address. I sent it and a couple of days later they told me I need to send the package label. I scanned it and emailed it to them. I heard nothing for 4 days and then they sent me an email to mail the label to them. I did so and heard nothing for two weeks.

I emailed them and asked about the order and if they received the label and was told that had not received the label and it would be at least two weeks before my order would be process and sent out. I told them to cancel the order and refund my money. I also told them at the two trees send (which were about 6 inches long) were dead and the flower plant they sent which came wilted was also dead. I have to date not heard from them. I have cancelled the credit card charge and am going through the paperwork with the credit card. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY.

Shirley of New Carlisle, OH on

Back in 2005, I ordered $97.41 from 4Seasons Nursery. I NEVER received anything. I have been trying to get my money back since 2005. I just recently received a letter from them this year (2016) stating that I needed to prove that I paid them for the order. I have given to their so-called customer service all the information that she required but she still needs to see my receipt where I was charged (mind you, it was purchased online). I have given them all the information, whereas they can go back into their and verify that they also received payment. No, they state that just because it gave me a confirmation number online it does not prove that payment was made when in fact it shows that the payment was made cause it shows the last four digits of my card number and the expiration date.

THIS COMPANY RIPS PEOPLE OFF by getting people's money and then not sending them the items they pay for. It has taken them 11 years to finally get back with me on this, now they say that I am just screwed. If anyone wants to be screwed out of their money, order from this company. Cause this company truly does not care about the consumer only about getting money from them. I also contacted the BBB of Illinois and they also pretty much tell me that there is nothing they can do and won't even file a complaint.

ruben of Plainfield, IL on

Very disappointed! Asked for replacement and gave them Order # from receipt, date purchased, and amount. They replied that I give my full name and zip code. I did. Then they replied again: "However, we are willing to make a single exception and send a replacement order if you will mail us a COPY OF YOU CANCELLED CHECK or CHARGE CARD STATEMENT as proof of payment. You will need to send this information via mail. Please include a letter that states you no longer have the shipping label and are therefore sending the proof of payment in its place. Also include a full list, by item and quantity, of what item(s) need to be replaced."

Why are they asking me to go through my mail of months ago to prove that I paid? This is ridiculous! THE FACT THAT THEY SHIPPED ME THE PRODUCT CONFIRMS THAT I ALREADY PAID FOR IT, OTHERWISE THEY WOULD NOT SHIP IT. It just boils down to giving a customer a hard time using the warranty or they don't want to replace it. They have all the information they needed. Apparently, they don't realize the value of a customer and cost of losing a customer - Marketing 101.

Ryan of Wauwatosa, WI on

Terrible company. Sent me all dead plants and sent them over 6 weeks late. Planted all and not one grew. I have planted over 30,000 trees and have a lot of experience. Yes that's 30 thousand at my farm. This company is crooked and will not refund money. Please do not use them and beware they go by at least 4 names. Avoid any nursery on Morrisey Drive.

Jodyw of Shabbona, IL on

I ordered 6 red clematis, I received purple. After finally getting through to someone (every time I called their computers were down) they advised me that there was an error in mixing up plants. They told me they would send me 6 plants in the spring which I have not received. I have tried to call this year and either the computers are down or I get a busy signal.

Leslie of Sault Ste Marie, MI on

I ordered a mix of tomato plants (3 styles for each). I got a total of 10 plants... 1 container of 4 plants, 1 container of 3 (missing one plant completely) and 1 container of 3 (the 4th plant was just a stub). Then the rest of order (bulbs of glads and potatoes) came over a month later. Maybe 1/2 are coming up. A few Glad bulbs had mold starting to grow on them. I did complain and not much done. They do not answer phone and want original packaging when making a complaint and even then they do not give you a credit on credit card. Just put you off until next year saying they will replace. Waste of time making any complaint and poor quality of products. I did not even waste my time on the bulbs for I knew they would not do anything based on what was done w/ the tomato plants. They would not even let me cancel remaining of order after the tomato plants came. Kept saying they were shipped. NEVER ORDER FROM THEM!!!

Regina of East Northport, NY on

DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM - Worst company ever. Placed order, kept following up and was told that my order was in processing, yet my credit card was charged instantly. This went on for 8 weeks, then I asked to have my order canceled, they all of a sudden said it was shipped. The order arrived 8 days later was basically dead and had a big note on it "ship now", how convenient. Then it said that one of my items was on backorder, I immediately contacted them and told them to cancel it, they said they would and that a refund will take up to 14 days. Well guess what, then they ship that item, basically dead also and all they say is their website says they can ship when available. Asked numerous times to be refunded. Worst company ever!!!

Jonathan of Collegeville, PA on

DO NOT order from this company. Worst customer service experience of my life. Order was horribly late with no explanation. When called they stated they "didn't have the means to track orders", internally, and that the order will be delivered "Soon". When the product was delivered.. a month later.. it was poorly packaged. The bushes were half dead when they arrived and half of the trees have died since planting. I made sure to follow directions for planting. I called about replacement and was told that I needed a label that was supposedly shipped with the plants to return them. I asked for a replacement label and was denied.

Customer service stated that they needed proof of payment. I have a receipt of the sale but they said that was not good enough that they needed financial documentation, i.e. a statement from a bank or credit card. To me, this is ridiculous that I should need to produce a personal financial document when I already have a receipt. That is what receipts are for correct? Talking to a supervisor about this, he was abusive and rude stating that I was an irresponsible customer for losing the return sticker they supposedly sent with the product. DO NOT do business with this company. They are not accredited by the Better Business Bureau. They currently have over 110 complaints with the BBB. They use predatory business practices and stick consumers with sub par products.

D of Chicago, IL on

Two weeks after ordering plants ($54.24), I contacted company on status. Customer Service rep stated, "the order has not been processed." Attempted to cancel the order, she stated, "you need to send email or cancel online." I did, four times. The next month, 'unprocessed' package arrived. Immediately, I took the unopened package to the Post Office as "refused". Minutes later, returning home, I contacted the company and asked why they shipped a cancelled order. Customer Service Rep stated she was NOT aware the order was cancelled so they shipped it, and I should send email to company. Twice, again, I sent an online cancellation. Week later, spoke with customer service rep ** who stated, "Yes, I see where you called, several times, cancelling the order. Wonder why they shipped it to you. We have not received the package because package doesn't come to this location. They'll probably charge you for shipping." HUH?!

She added, "you need to send email or cancel online." Again, another online cancellation. Today, I contacted the company and rep stated, "Your order is NOT here. No, I cannot tell you how much was returned to your credit card. You need to contact them." DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY! BTW, when I ordered it, via customer service, to date, I NEVER received a receipt! And, the company refuses to send one to me. However, my credit card will verify my purchase. HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE, COMPANY!

Scott of Petersburg, MI on

I ordered plants in April, they cashed the check right away. As of June, no order. I contacted them, they said it was shipped May 23rd, and to allow 10 business days. I asked if plants could possibly survive 10 business days in a shipping box, and the operator actually said probably not! Several days later, called again (took about 25 tries to get through), and was told this time that they shipped on May 27th(!). By now, it was June 12th, and I asked for a refund. Last week, they said they tracked the package and it was "delivered" on June 2. I was home ALL DAY on June 2nd, and told them this. They said they would look into it with the shipping company, and would get back to me.

So, here we are on June 19th, no answer from them, no information, and every email is responded to with a form reply stating they are forwarding my concern to the appropriate department! I have registered a complaint with the BBB in Bloomington, Indiana. BEWARE this company, deal with at your own risk! They will not give me ANY information about where my $80 order is.

crystal of Sweetwater, TN on

The trees are advertised as 3-5 feet tall, we received 18-inch twigs that never grew. Upon trying to replace them we were told we had to give them proof of purchase -- for a defective product they sent me. They don't allow refunds after 2 weeks, but insist the plant is in the ground 6 weeks before you may return. I will never again waste 250$ on these people.

ivy of Olive Branch, IL on

After waiting for my 55 dollar order for quite a while I read these awful reviews of 4 seasons. I immediately worried. But I finally got my order...by mail! Crammed in my box and everything was about half dead. I thought they were shipped better than that...but honestly after reading the reviews I'm glad I even got them. Hope they all live. Thanks for sending them.

Four Seasons Nursery Company Profile