1.11/5
  • 1 star
Based on 73 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Looking for Lawn and Garden tools and services?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 26, 2017

77 Four Seasons Nursery Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I ordered three bare-root plants of Black-Eyed Susans for $6.99 and only one of the three plant arrived in a plastic bag that was marked to contain 3 plants. Another item never arrived nor was there an explanation. The order was marked as filled by #**. When there are so many companies to order plants why should I ever come back here again? I've learned my lesson.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Never purchase from here, unless you can visit in person. Worst customer service ever. If you are going to do business in this century and use the internet; then please be able to address returns or complaints using the same internet that you took the Money from. I ordered 24 plants and received 18. After being made to the use snail mail to request what I was missing two times I was then told I was only charged for 18. Great customer service.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I bought 24 blue spruce, 4 pecan trees, 2 blueberry plants and 40 privet hedge on March 31, 2017. I planted everything shortly after receiving them. Within a month everything but the blueberry plants were dead. I wanted a refund minus the blueberry. They said it had to be within 14 days, they didn't die that fast. They replaced them and I quickly planted them. Two weeks and they were all dead. I am not going to plant them 3 times. I wish I had read reviews before buying. This company is nothing more than a scam, they sell GARBAGE. Do not waste your money. I threw away $160.90 on CRAP! Since only the 2 blueberries lived they cost $80 each. RIPOFF!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I swear this business is run out of somebody's basement. They must have tons of 1st time customers and very little repeat business. Lord, let's see: #1 - it took well over a month to get the order. #2 - I ordered 2 blueberry bushes and got 2 sweet pea plants instead (That died). The thing that I really wanted was the blue rose bush. I planted that. It was the only thing that looked half alive. It's not in a really sunny area so it took a while and finally I saw buds. Tonight I came home and one had opened. Was it blue? Hell no, it was red! I don't believe a blue rose bush exists.

I emailed them tonight. I'd been in contact with them like everybody else here has. I won't hold my breath for a replacement, and if I did get one, it'll probably be red again. I cannot believe they can even stay in business. They charged my card for the order and had my money a month before they even processed it. They are the absolute worst, hands down. I don't think I've seen anybody rate them with more than 1 star. I will definitely check this site before buying anything again.

Original review: July 9, 2017

On April 19, 2017 I sent a check for $40.97 for Canadian Hemlock. The order that came was less than satisfactory to put it mildly. Most of the plants were dry, small and poorly packaged. I planted them all in good soil and to date only one or two look like they will live. I was expecting plants that could produce good size in a few years, not forever. This is the most pathetic rip off ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Four Seasons Nursery?

Original review: July 5, 2017

I ordered several plants and the Bonfire Euphorbia are 1'' tall and may possibly be seen in the massive garden in 10 years. They arrived dead and nursing them back to life. I now have 1'' plants mostly dead. This is not the description in their catalog.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I have been suckered twice. Last year I ordered in late spring. My ordered was filled in September. I was so concerned that planting that late that I would have no success. Some of the free bulbs did grow but, not until this spring. Other things did not even come to me live. The weeping willow was a complete dud. This year I took another chance and ordered early but, again I've planted sticks. The dogwood, white birch, tulip trees are getting water and fertilizers but, again duds. I figured it was my loss because I had forgotten that they were the company I ordered from last year.

Now, their name will be forever etched in my brain. I agree with one of the other complaints. Their catalog is bright and beautiful and very intriguing. The outcome is much more disappointing. The cash is gone and the enthusiasm is dimmed. I did nothing to contact them or anyone else in regards to recovering anything. How does the saying go? Trick me once, shame on you. Trick me twice, shame on me! I also never received a confirmation for the order, a thank you for the order nor, an invoice with the order even, spending near a hundred dollars. But, hopefully my experience will help others to NOT ORDER from them. I did not do the research I should have before ordering. If their catalog shows up in the mail I will immediately add it to the recycle bin.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I ordered $108. worth of plants from you on March 23, 2017. Ordered off of the web **. I cannot send a copy of the invoice from the web because there is no place on here to allow me to. I am not at all happy with this order. I called Capital One the day your order arrived which was 2 days after I called in and complained and so I noticed the roots sticking out of the bag. So I decided to go ahead and plant them, but maybe half are alive. So I do not want anymore.

I cannot send the invoice because Capital One kept it when I filed a complaint. Which they refuse to acknowledge. I do not want any replacements. The 12 burning bushes were dead, the 2 pecan trees, 4 rose of Sharon, and 10 of the purple leaf plum hedges are dead. I will never order from your company again. You waited to send it when I reported it to my credit card. The roots were sticking out of the plastic bag. They never ever contacted me of a delivery.

Original review: June 6, 2017

This company has beautiful looking magazines and great pictures of all kinds of beautiful plants on their website. Only thing is, NOTHING you get in the mail will even closely resemble the description or the photo of the items. And getting a refund is nearly impossible and the replacement process for the poorly handled and poorly packaged tiny plants is extremely time consuming and will ruin your growing season.

I ordered nearly $100 worth of bare root items. The quality of plants from this company was terrible. Very small and inconsistent. For example, I ordered a package of 3 patriot blueberry bushes for $29.99, 2 were small little sticks about a foot long, but the 3rd just an even tinier 3 inch broken stub. Same for other items. They were packaged poorly and after planting and waiting 6 weeks, most items never even sprouted a leaf.

Now I am into the summer and it's too late for this year. They require you write a detailed explanatory letter begging for replacement plants, then mail it with the original shipping label, and they MIGHT send replacements 2-3 weeks AFTER receiving your letter. This means the whole labored process will take 4-6 weeks. Ugh!! I called, but they will NOT process anything over the phone or email. ONLY standard snail mail even though I ordered from the website. And remember, NO REFUNDS. So you are basically out of luck for the current growing season and can NEVER get your money back even though the plants are in horrible condition. I have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: May 17, 2017

On February 22, 2017 I ordered 2 English Walnuts and 1 American Butternut from Four Seasons Nursery. All 3 trees arrived by mid-March. The English Walnuts had great roots systems, but the American Butternut was sent bare root and had so few roots there is no way it could live. However, I planted all 3 trees and English Walnuts are doing quite well; however the Butternut is dead and as of 5/17/2017 has not even put on a bud.

Upon reviewing my invoice I discovered that Four Seasons Nursery will not accept a return from a original invoice; they require the shipping label. How many non-business ordinary gardening people keeping shipping labels? Therefore, I contacted Four Seasons Nursery by email on 4/12/17 and was told by their company representative that they would make a single exception in my case if I would submit proof of payment in a letter to their company. I did so and mailed on 4/13/2017.

On 4/28/2017 I received a note from Four Seasons along with my letter to them in which they did not honor what their customer service representative told me; they would not replace the tree or refund my money. What kind of company does not honor what they tell a customer? You can rest assured I will never order from this company again! Supporting documents are attached below.

Original review: May 4, 2017

We ordered plants on April 16th 2017 from them. I sure wish I had read these complaints before we placed the order. We spent $60.00 and have been trying to get shipping information. Our stuff hasn't shipped yet (based on the website) and I was thinking of cancelling. Based on everything I've read, it sounds like our stuff won't be any good anyway. Called them numerous times and got the busy signal just like the other reviews. Have sent 3 emails and no answer. I knew it was too good to be true and I guess you I should have went with my gut. If I can't get thru, I'm contacting the credit card company.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I placed a large order ($154.00) in late Jan 2017 for spring planting. I never received an acknowledgement of my order, a thank you status, nothing. About 2 weeks later I tried to call. It rang but no answer. I tried emailing, no response. I waited a month, their website does state "will be mailed during planting season and you may not get everything together". I tried calling and emailing again, nothing.

I waited until I was deep in planting season in central Alabama and tried to email again with no results. I contacted the BBB and within 3 days, I had my total and complete order. A week later, I received a letter from 4 Seasons Nursery telling me they had replied to my emails. Funny it never came to my inbox. No apologies, no sorry for the inconvenience. I felt like their letter was scolding me for contacting BBB. I got an email from BBB yesterday saying my complaint was closed because 4 Seasons did not respond to them either!! At least my complaint will be in their file and when there are more (and I am sure there will be) action will be taken. What a crappy way to run a business!!! Now... On another note, my plants all came in the same big plastic bag, bare root and I thought why bother. But I planted them and am happy to say everything is sprouting and doing well. Never again, Four Seasons Nursery, never again.

Original review: April 30, 2017

In April of 2016 I ordered 6 Berry bushes, they arrived way before it was time to plant, but I planted them when it was safe to plant in my area. All 6 NEVER did anything, so in November I dug them up and returned them, asking for a refund, if that was not possible a replacement. In March of 2017 the replacement arrived and was left on my porch, unfortunately, it was a day when the temperature was 10 degrees with a wind chill of -5 degrees. I tried to call but the telephone would ring as busy after one ring or just a busy signal.

I sent them an e-mail on March 13th 2017 with no reply. I then sent them a written letter, via the Post Office, on March 30, 2017. Stating that they had been sent way too early for my planting time zone of 5, I am in upstate New York about 200 miles south of the Canadian border. When after another 2 weeks had passed, I took the UNOPENED package to my post office to return to sender as refused. I finally received a reply around the 25th of April with a reply dated April 14th. Inside was my original letter and envelope, as well as the orders for the original and replacements. These showed my zone to be H, after researching it on the computer it showed H to be a part of the Sierra Nevada Mountain range, instructions to return the package with an alternate date that I wanted them to arrive or how to take care of the plants until it was safe to plant.

I then called and told the order person that I had returned the package marked refused. I was informed that they did not accept refused packages as it would cost them $20.00. Since I had already paid once to return the original order, I refused the replacement as I did not think it was my responsibility to pay for their mistake in sending them too early.

They now want me to return everything they sent back with instructions as what they want me to do about them sending a replacement. Since I refused them and do not have them, I am quite sure that nothing will ever be done to remedy the problem. I would like my original purchase price refunded and not a credit voucher. A voucher would never be used as I WILL NEVER ORDER from them again and if anyone ask about their service I will gladly tell them about my experience. I only wish that I had found this site before ordering.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I made a call to Four Seasons Nursery, a company from Bloomington IL. I wanted to know if my order had processed, and I had the misfortune of speaking with the most unprofessional customer service representative, who kept interrupting me, and I was not able to get two words in. So, I asked to speak with a manager or supervisor. She informed me that there was a supervisor available, but felt compelled to lecture me before transferring me. I ended up so angry, that I hung up the phone, and I sent an email canceling my order instead. That was not my intention when I got on the phone.

However, a company that employs such an individual, needs to know that individual, represents the company. They are the face and voice of the company. Four Seasons showed an ugly face through this representative, and I want no part of what goods they sell, even if their prices are cheap. I wish I would have seen their ratings before I placed my orders. That's a mistake I won't make again.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I ordered plants about a month ago and it is now planting season in my state NC. I have been trying to call them to see when I would receive my order, then I started reading other reviews. To be honest I wish I would have read these first before ordering, I don't think I would have ordered. But since their number is always busy and I can't get in touch with them I am assuming the worst. Either the plants will arrive dead or not at all. I will keep trying to call and also I guess I don't have a choice on waiting it out. But will write a review when I finally get my order.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I ordered 176 dollars worth of plants. They also set in the post office over weekend and they were in bad shape but I planted them anyway. None of the roses made it and pretty much all the bulbs either. I sent my shipping label and written letter that they died or didn't come up and they sent me vouchers and I've sent them by with my replacement orders but have yet received anything. I would not recommend. They don't replace. It's been two months. Time to plant. Don't understand why they in businesses.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I ordered mar 15. On 16th I emailed them to cancel order. On mar 20 they ran my card. I've emailed multiple times trying to get my money. They will not respond to me. After several days I finally got them to answer their phone. Was told nothing was shipped and I would get a refund. Nothing yet. I think they ripped me off.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I spent $169 on roses last March. I had some that didn't live so I asked for a replacement on the dead roses. First I called and asked what I had to do. They told me I had to send the shipping label and a letter describing how they died, proof of purchase and other stuff. I said I didn't have the shipping label and she said to send the bank statement with the purchase on it. I did this and a few weeks later I was suppose to rewrite my letter and the shipping label. Again I said I didn't have it but I was told to send a new letter.

In a few weeks later I got another letter stating I need to rewrite it again and send the label. I called them and they told me to resend it with special wording and the proof of purchase. I did this one more time and today I got it back again after sending them the order numbers of the dead roses with each correspondence telling me I needed to send how many of the 2 toned roses died. I only ordered one. How stupid of me. SEND THE SHIPPING LABEL TOO... I also got 4 free ones when I ordered them and they wanted to know what they were. How the hell do I know. They were free. So I called them to just keep the damn roses. I refuse for someone to insult my intelligence. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I have it over them big time. AND I STILL DON'T HAVE THE SHIPPING LABEL.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

This company makes you jump through too many hoops when returning defective plant material. Returned once with label and they said my tree may not be dead, give it more time. I'm 61 and know a dead tree when I see one. After two attempts, they mailed out new material. 60+ days later, same tree species dead. Returned label mailed back asking for refund. They write back asking for returned label to be sent! Are they really this stupid or just deceptive or perhaps both. So now must contact them again and explain they already received that shipping label. And by the way, can't you people see that you mailed me this material in the first place over 60 days ago?? Incompetent people, borderline deceptive policies and poor products. Don't do business here.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

The plants I ordered were tiny, I mean really tiny and of the 9 wisteria plants not one lived. Of the Hybiscus only one lived and on the Hybiscus they advertise multi colored but I got ALL white and when I ask for a refund on the dead plants and mentioned that the Hybiscus were all white not multi colored, they responded that just because they said the plants were multi colored that didn't mean I would GET multi colored??? On the dead plants they said the plants would have been returned within 14 days of receiving them. I ask you, how would I know they weren't going to put out greenery and live in just 4 days??? If you feel the need to buy plants from 4 seasons just burn your money. You will just as much for your money as if you bought their plants and you don't have to pay shipping. Pass the word on these people, they don't need to be allowed to be in business when they are basically stealing money from people.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

On 5-3-16 we ordered 16 Thujas from said nursery. 4 weeks later we received only 15 which we planted immediately. We have planted many trees in the past and know how to treat them. 6 of them died within a few weeks. We tried to call the company - phone always busy. Contacted them twice via their website mail - never received a reply and their phone is still busy! Spend a few more bucks and get plants from reliable sources!!! These folks need to be out of business!

Original review: June 28, 2016

I ordered plants from the above listed company and upon receiving the order, I knew it was not going to be a good experience. The order came through the P.O. and Sat in the hot back of the building all weekend. Now mind you, the plants were shipped in a large, heavy, red plastic bag! Can plants breath in plastic?? No, they most certainly cannot. Upon opening the red bag up, I find wilted and droopy plants. I take them all out and put the trees and bushes roots in water and take all the plants out of the plastic that is around their roots. They are planted with two hours of unpacking. Days later, plants have died so I contact the company. I am advised to send the original shipping label and a letter stating what was wrong with the plants and how they died. I did this and never heard another word back until I contacted them almost one month later.

I did receive the replacement plants on that same day, however upon opening the package (again plastic), I find already dead or dying plants. I take photo's and contact the company again. Long story short, is we go back and forth on email from my first contact on 02-29-2016 when I placed the order. As you can see, it is now the 28 of June. I have asked for a full refund but I doubt I will ever see it.

This company sells bad/dying/very small or in the process of dying plants. I have gardened all my life and at 51 years of age, I think I know if a plant is dead, dying, bare root, dormant, etc. They do not communicate with you, it seems they like to avoid you instead. Their method of shipment sucks, not only by using a P.O. and not a residential address but by putting them in plastic where they cannot breathe. I recommend steering completely clear of this terrible company. I will also be contacting the Illinois State Better Business Bureau and lodging a complaint with them as well!

Original review: June 27, 2016

Ordered over $50 worth of plants. Live in Buffalo NY. Plants were delivered 4/1/16. The ground was still frozen solid and we still had snow! Tried my best to keep them alive until I could plant. Most of them didn't make it after planting so I called customer service. In order to get any kind of a refund I had to label and package the dead plants and ship them back. I had the label but it wasn't good enough. If they had of died six months from now I would not have had to send the dead plants. Also, three year ago I ordered a peony tree for $30. It's growing but not high. Looked on the internet to see what I could expect. Looked at my tree - surprise - I have an ordinary peony bush which sold for about a third of the price. It's pretty but not what I wanted and paid for. Scam artists with rude customer service. Never again.

Original review: May 14, 2016

DO NOT GET RIPPED OFF!! RUN! I am an avid gardener of several acres even doing side jobs for friends and small businesses. I have done gardening for my church and the nursing homes and cemeteries where my parents were buried. I bought almost $100 of seedling bushes and trees. I was attracted to the low price because I was planting a large area as a donation to a small church. I might also add, I have purchased many bare root plants successfully from other companies. Theirs however, arrived black, dead, smaller than stated, mere wisp and the roots had mold.

I called immediately because a short window is one of their MANY loopholes not to stand behind the plants or issue refund. They promised to resend the plants. 2 weeks later when didn't arrive I called again and they said I had waited too long. I said and did all of things you would expect from one just ripped off. They ultimately kept my money. NEVER again. ALSO they do business under other names. Stay away! House of Wesley - 1704 Morrissey Dr. Bloomington Ill 61704,

Four Seasons Nurseries - 1706 Morrissey Dr. Bloomington, Ill. 61704, Burgess seed and plant Company - 905 four seasons rd. Bloomington, Ill. 61701, Farmer seed and Nursery - 1706 Morrissey Dr. Bloomington, Ill. 61704. These nurseries are all under Plantron Inc. 1706 Bloomington, Ill. 61704y from their subsidiaries. I don't know how they are still in business. It's so sad they can get away with this.

Original review: May 10, 2016

We purchase a large order of plants from this company. Some plants never arrived and some died within a week. They make it virtually impossible to get replacements and refunds. Don't throw away package label when it arrives. Better yet, don't buy from this terrible company. They will only cancel your order if you send them a letter, not an email, and if plants do not survive you have to send the label or proof of purchase in the mail to get replacements and a refund. They admit they know you purchased plants and what they are, but refuse to do anything except take your order over the phone. I wish I could give this company negative 5 stars.

Original review: May 7, 2016

I purchased $83.00 of plants. The 20 Poplar trees were marked and the 8 Forsythias were also marked, then there were 2 unmarked bags with I don't know what? shoved in them, as far as I can tell it was the 6 Honeysuckle. I was missing 12 Hosta's, 2 Adams Needle Yucca's and 2 Bleeding Hearts. The Roots that came were no 1-2 feet. They are sparse weeds about 2-3 inches. It also took a month for them to get the product to me and then 1/2 was missing and because they weren't marked I'm not sure what 1/2. I will never buy from this supplier again. Their shipping department needs a lot of training. I'm sending this stuff back and now I will update on how long the fight will be for me to get my refund, I'm already out shipping to and from. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!

Original review: May 3, 2016

I placed an order on 3/25/16 for nearly $300. The money was deducted on 3/31/16 from my bank account. The website says 1-2 weeks for processing. On 4/7/16 I was told my order was in processing and would take 1-2 weeks. On 4/20/16 I emailed and was told my order was in the shipping department and ready to go out. On 4/26/16 I emailed and was told part of my order was backed up and the order would go out when they arrived. I called and explained I was already told that it was in the shipping department. I was also told the product had just arrived and would be shipping by the end of the week. 5/2/16 I received another email that the product was still not in. They can provide no guarantee of shipping, refuse to let you speak with a manager, have horrible customer service! I have demanded a full refund and I am posting a negative review everywhere I can so nobody orders from this company every again!!!

Original review: April 29, 2016

I ordered over $80.00 worth of plants. I got pots with seedlings (some empty or dead), dried up twigs, plants which I doubt will survive. The entire order was GARBAGE. I would not have bought one single plant which was delivered if I had seen what I was getting. I feel my order was not worth $20.00. These little twigs will not be actually visible, if they survive. Also order was delivered weeks too soon so I have been working hard to keep these already half dead plants alive. I did not send back because it is not worth the hassle. I wish I had read these reviews before ordering. Their catalog is worth more than the entire order. I don't understand why the government does not shut down this RIP-OFF COMPANY. They are aware that their products are garbage and they send them anyway. Would be different story if only a couple were under par. The entire order is just about worthless.

DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY. They should be fined or imprisoned for this sort of stealing from people. I do not have the paperwork. I was so disappointed in myself for falling for this farce of a company that I just threw it away. From the complaints already here it is doubtful they would care about my concerns anyway. It is not like they sent this crap by accident.

Original review: April 27, 2016

In Feb 2016 I placed an order for over $80. The order came March 30th with items missing and items in the bag that were dead. I contacted the company about the problems and was told they needed my name and address. I sent it and a couple of days later they told me I need to send the package label. I scanned it and emailed it to them. I heard nothing for 4 days and then they sent me an email to mail the label to them. I did so and heard nothing for two weeks.

I emailed them and asked about the order and if they received the label and was told that had not received the label and it would be at least two weeks before my order would be process and sent out. I told them to cancel the order and refund my money. I also told them at the two trees send (which were about 6 inches long) were dead and the flower plant they sent which came wilted was also dead. I have to date not heard from them. I have cancelled the credit card charge and am going through the paperwork with the credit card. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: April 24, 2016

Back in 2005, I ordered $97.41 from 4Seasons Nursery. I NEVER received anything. I have been trying to get my money back since 2005. I just recently received a letter from them this year (2016) stating that I needed to prove that I paid them for the order. I have given to their so-called customer service all the information that she required but she still needs to see my receipt where I was charged (mind you, it was purchased online). I have given them all the information, whereas they can go back into their and verify that they also received payment. No, they state that just because it gave me a confirmation number online it does not prove that payment was made when in fact it shows that the payment was made cause it shows the last four digits of my card number and the expiration date.

THIS COMPANY RIPS PEOPLE OFF by getting people's money and then not sending them the items they pay for. It has taken them 11 years to finally get back with me on this, now they say that I am just screwed. If anyone wants to be screwed out of their money, order from this company. Cause this company truly does not care about the consumer only about getting money from them. I also contacted the BBB of Illinois and they also pretty much tell me that there is nothing they can do and won't even file a complaint.

Four Seasons Nursery Company Information