Find a Home Warranties partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 6 million homes over 40 years. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Structural warranties for new homes
    • Flexibility in selecting service providers
    • Provides essential coverage
    • Roof leak coverage available

Cons

• Service call fees can be high
    • Some state restrictions

Bottom Line

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has plans to cover appliances and systems for all homes and structural coverage for new homes. While coverage isn’t as extensive as other providers, 2-10’s plans are slightly more affordable than the competition.

Top 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The repair person was here in no time and took care of it. He came in, detected the problem, knew what the solution was, ordered the part that was needed and fixed it. 2-10 was al...

Verified

The air conditioning no longer blew hot air and the experience when I submitted the claim to 2-10 was fantastic. It was called in on a Friday and they said that I might not hear f...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty plans

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around the country peace of mind and financial protection, helping minimize the burden of costly repairs. A 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty service agreement gives homeowners nationwide access to a network of more than 6,000 authorized, independent service contractors. They can also access an online Homeowner Portal to manage their account, request service and renew their service agreement.

Coverage packages cover the cost of repairing or replacing certain systems, including parts and labor, for one low service call fee.

2-10 service plans are not available in Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota or Wyoming.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty cost

The monthly cost for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty starts at $19 for systems and appliances coverage. Your total cost will vary by plan and your selected service call fee, which ranges from $85 to $125. Their monthly rate comes at a lower cost than the industry average, while their service call fee runs slightly high. If you select any add-on coverage, this will also increase your monthly payment.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage

The company’s Systems and Appliances service agreement covers the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances, including parts and labor.

• AC/freon split system
    • Built-in microwave
    • Disposal
    • Trash compactor
    • Washer/dryer

Optional coverage: Available for home buyers, 2-10 offers optional coverage at an add-on rate for the following items: pre-season HVAC tune-up, extended pipe leak, roof leak, septic system, pool/spa equipment, water softener, well pump.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage exclusions

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty covers the failure of systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. Pre-existing conditions will only be considered for coverage if they were unknown and could not have been detected by visual inspection or simple mechanical test. 2-10’s service agreement does not cover damage due to misuse or abuse or natural disasters. They also won’t handle hazardous materials, like asbestos.

As is typical with most home warranties, 2-10 does not cover cosmetic defects. In the event a replacement item is provided, there are no guarantees they’ll match the existing brand and color of your current item.

Code violations and haul away services are only covered with the Supreme Protection add-on and HVAC Plus plan add-on. Commercial appliances are not covered under the warranty.

There may also be item-specific exclusions. These will be listed in your contract, so be sure to look for these and understand your coverage. Often, parts and components deemed non-essential to the core function of the item may be excluded. For example, while most of your kitchen appliances may be covered, parts like glass, shelves and accessories may not be covered.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage limits

2-10 Home Buyer’s Warranty lists the maximum aggregate liability for all claims in a contract term at $25,000. This is one of the higher limits we’ve seen. There is also an item specific limit on certain appliances and systems. This is the maximum 2-10 will pay for the repair or replacement of the item within one contract term.

Item2-10’s coverage limit
    Built-in or sealed refrigeration units$2,500
    Faucet repair and/or replacement$150/faucet
    Toilet replacement, in the event of sediment/ calcium build-up$300/toilet
    Limited roof leak$1,000/term
    Septic system$500/term
    Swimming pool$1,000/term
    Well pump$500/term
    Steam, hot water heat, hydronic systems, geothermal and water source systems, air conditioners, high-velocity systems$1,500/term
    Concealed or concrete encased items pertaining to ductwork, water, gas, drain, piping, leaks, breaks and wiring$500/term
    *Limits subject to change. Check your service agreement for up-to-date numbers

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Can I choose my own service provider?

Maybe. In the event that a 2-10 authorized contractor is unavailable, you may be able to select your own technician. The technician will diagnose the problem and then call 2-10 for prior authorization before beginning the work.

Is there a cancellation fee for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Yes. A $25 processing fee will be applied to your cancellation. Cancellation within 30 days entitles you to a full-refund less this fee, while cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund. Cancellation must be submitted in writing via email.

How do I request a service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Claims can be submitted online through the 2-10 homeowner portal or by calling their toll-free number. Both methods are available 24/7, and you can log in to the homeowners portal to check the status of your request at any time. To request service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty:

1. Submit a claim to 2-10.
    2. 2-10 will assign and dispatch a service contractor.
    3. Dispatched contractor will diagnose and repair the item if it’s covered under your warranty.
    4. You will pay the service call fee.

Emergency service: In emergency situations, 2-10 will make every effort to expedite a technician to your home within 24 hours.

Is 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty worth it?

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around-the-clock peace of mind should something in their home break. In business for nearly four decades, the company has accrued valuable experience taking care of homeowners around the country. Homeowners should be prepared to pay a service call fee for each separate service request. Overall, we found the pricing fair and the coverage adequate, if a little less comprehensive than other plans available. If you’re looking for straightforward coverage of your major systems and appliances, 2-10 should fit the bill.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

We had a part go out on the furnace so we filed the claim with 2-10. It was easy to engage via the web. I did have some questions for them that I had to call. It was a long wait but when I did speak to a representative, she was very clear, very nice, very professional and was able to answer my questions.

2-10 did have someone come out and service the unit. The technician was okay. If I had to rate on a scale of 10, I'd probably give a five. I wouldn't say too much it was the technician that was sent as much as it was the overall heating and air company engagement process in terms of their scheduling and availability. That was a bit of a challenge considering the situation. But once the technician came on site, he did diagnose the problem. He did replace the part. However, after the part was replaced and the claim was closed, we had the issue re-occur. We did go through a separate third-party to resolve that. But that was not a 2-10 issue. That was an issue with the company that was sent by them. Overall, that experience was good.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Adam Sasser, we’re glad to read everything went well with your service request. Thank you for using 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty, and let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help you!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

With 2-10, there was one instance where something in the warranty wasn't covered. They said they would mail me a check. I never got it. But I also never followed up with them. There have been a couple instances where the service has benefited me. Something needed repair, the house is 20 years old, and I didn't directly have to come out of pocket. I've used the warranty a handful of times and with what has been fixed, it has saved me money. They fixed my furnace recently. I had a leak in my stove, and then my refrigerator was not freezing anymore, so rather than have someone come out, potentially not being able to fix it, they offered a rebate.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there M., we’re glad that we could help resolve your service request. More importantly, we appreciate your honest feedback about the issue you had throughout the service request process. We want to make sure that we’re doing everything we can to make the service request process a positive experience for you.

If you’d like to discuss more, please send us a private message here.

Thanks again for your feedback..

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

We launched two claims. One for plumbing and the contractor came in on time, work done, and everything was very professional. And this was scheduled almost on time. So, we were very happy with the plumbing part. But we also had an electrical issue. A company was supposed to come. Then, it was canceled. It was given to the second company. They communicated once and never came back. I tried to call them but I couldn't get through to them. So, that schedule is not done up to now. Other than that, with the first time we are using 2-10, it’s a relatively easy process. You put a claim in, and then almost immediately, they are responding and scheduling. It exceeded what I expected. It's a great company.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi Adam, we’re really sorry you had such a poor experience and that problem may still be unresolved. It’s not fair to you, and it’s not representative of our company.

If you’d like, we can send this to our escalation team for review. Just send us a private message here.

We understand you’re upset, and we want to try to fix it. You’ve trusted us to protect your home, and we want to earn that trust back.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I was doing an internet search and decided to call and see what 2-10 has because I was not satisfied with the company I currently had at that time. It gave me a link, so I went on to the link. The quote seemed reasonable. I got a text that asked if I wanted them to call me. I said, “Not now. I'll call you when I'm ready.” So when I was ready, I called, talked to them some more, and said I want to do it. I went ahead and paid for a year's contract right there.

The 2-10 representative was very helpful and answered all my questions. Because I had mentioned I had never heard of them before, he explained how long the company's been around, and that they had primarily started out as a builder's warranty and then moved into other consumers. My son had them, and he was quite happy with them. I found that out after I did my internet search. I said, “Oh, then I'm definitely going to go with them.”

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi Anita, thanks for your great rating. Our goal at 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty is to make home ownership less of a hassle, and we’re glad we could help you with that. If there’s anything else we can do for you, just let us know!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I'm a realtor and I've heard good responses from clients about 2-10. That's why I use them on my rental property. When I signed up with them, I went on the website, put in the information for a quote, and got a call right then from a guy. It sort of scared me because he called right away and I told him that I haven't even clicked through anything yet to set up. But he said he could do it for me over the phone then he gave me a really good discount over the phone for doing it. So it was a good and easy experience. It also took less than 10 minutes to complete the setup.

Other than that, when I was doing the final walkthrough for one of my clients on her closing day, I noticed that the refrigerator was left in a horrible state from the sellers. It wasn't even operating and as soon as we closed on a house, I called the warranty people and they sent somebody out the very next day. And they ended up replacing the entire refrigerator. That experience in itself was a great one for a first time homebuyer because that was such a major expense that if she would have had to go in and have to buy a refrigerator that wasn't expected, that could tarnish the whole experience throughout.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi Ashley, thanks so much for your great rating. All of us at 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty want to do everything we can to make protecting your home simple and economical. We’re glad we could help you!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

We bought our home NEW in December 2020. Within 6 months the plaster/stucco was cracking and falling off the foundation, so I filed a claim and it come back excluded. My workmanship warranty runs out in December 2021, so I filed a list of small complaints for workmanship and again for the plaster/stucco cracking and falling off. Everything is coming back excluded except for cabinet drawers not closing properly. What is the use of having a warranty that covers nothing? Especially when the damn stucco is falling off of it. The only reason we have this warranty is because it come in the buy of a new house from the builder. I don't have anything good to say about them either at this point. Request Number: **. Request Opened: 11/10/2021

Warranty Effective Date: 12/18/2020 Item Details Date Added Status Item Details
      1 Finishes: Caulking in both bathrooms, several paint spots that need touched up, outside skim coat on on foundation is falling off 11/9/2021 Excluded Details
      2 Cabinets and Vanities: some cabinet drawers not closing with the self closing mechanism. one drawer is not lined up properly 11/9/2021 Reported Details
      3 Foundation and Concrete: skim coat on foundation is cracking and falling off 11/9/2021 Excluded Details
      4 Electrical Components: light fixtures in master bath have rust on them 11/9/2021 Excluded Details

5 Carpentry and Framing: right hand swing door was used in master closet. Either the wrong door was used or the light switch was put on the wrong side. We shouldn't have to close the closet door to turn the lights on/off 11/9/2021 Excluded Details

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Builder of our home purchased a 2-10 New Home Warranty as part of the original purchase contract of our home. We filed a claim with 2-10 for various repairs around construction and workmanship. It took legal counsel to compel them to even respond 6 months later. It is now over a year and they still have not performed on any of the repairs. Additionally they have stopped all correspondence. 2-10 NEW HOME WARRANTY IS ABSOLUTELY USELESS AND NOT A WARRANTY.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Shortly after moving into my home I had a water leak that was causing the ceiling in my garage to fall down. I called on Friday and they told me they would have someone there by early the next week. Obviously I couldn't wait and they wouldn't allow me to seek my own help. I called a local plumber and they came the same day and fixed the problem which was behind the drywall in my laundry room.

I had a similar situation with a toilet leak. The ceiling in my Rec room was dripping water and messing up the ceiling. I called, they said a couple of days for a service call. Fortunately I'm handy enough to see the toilet problem and shut off the toilet. This took weeks for resolution. Finally my range had problems with the igniters continuing to click when the burners were lit and the oven was running 50 degrees too hot. I called 2-10 and they sent out a repairman who located the problems but couldn't obtain the parts. He said 2-10 would buy a new unit for me.

After many weeks of delays and my many follow ups I was told that their purchasing guy decided my range was a professional unit so it wasn't covered. I have received no explanation of what a professional range is. They won't return my emails and to my surprise I discovered my claim was marked closed. They did have the one toilet rebuilt and a snake job on another toilet but that took too long.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Updated on 11/16/2021: Microwave/Convection oven broke 8-19-21. 2-10 dispatched A&E (Sears) to repair. Parts not available so after nearly 2 months parts finally arrived. A&E fixed microwave. Microwave breaks 2 days later. Reschedule A&E again (through 2-10) for 11-16-21. On day of appt., A&E informs me that there was a service call fee of $249. I informed them that this was through warranty company 2-10 and that it was to fix their work from before. Nothing they can do as it wasn't submitted correctly through 2-10. Now I have to start over and try to get 2-10 to reschedule appointment. This usually takes weeks. So if new parts are needed and I have to wait another 2-3 months for repair, then this is not good. I am now looking at 6 months to repair microwave.

Updated on 11/03/2021: I provided an earlier review about 1 week ago on the horrible experience with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty. I am writing today to update my experience. As of my last review, my HVAC system, which broke on Oct. 3, 2021, was waiting on a part to be delivered with an ETA of 10/26/21 to my assigned contractor. It never arrived. I received another notice claiming the part was now scheduled to arrive at my assigned contractor on 11/2/21. It never arrived. Of course the only way to find this out is many many calls. My assigned contractor does not answer their phone or return messages and 2-10 keeps you on hold forever (currently on hold for over 1 hour). 2-10 customer service reps always promise resolution but give you nothing but a promise of 1 more week.

Then you try to escalate to "purchasing department" and they give you the same empty promises. Then you ask to elevate to a supervisor and they can only call you back but never do. You escalate the situation online in the 2-10 web portal and the Escalation Department promises callbacks in 2-3 days, but of course no one ever calls, or if they do it a customer service representative again. And so the process goes on with the customer spinning his wheels wasting time with no resolve. Use your common sense if you choose a Home Warranty company and be realistic with your expectations. My realtor has offered to write a blog in my area Association of Realtors newsletter sharing this experience in reference to home warranties. It's not all bad, but this experience has been the worst.

Original Review: I've been with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty since I purchased my home several years ago. Until recently we had only an occasional minor issue. Of course I pay them handsomely every month for this service. However, in August 2021 our convection oven/microwave went caput. 2-10 dispatched a repair technician (that took a couple weeks until they arrived) who diagnosed that 3 parts were needed to repair. On September 9 the service company ordered the parts. I did some prior research and knew that there was an issue with parts for this item.

A few days later I received communication stating that the parts were delayed. Knowing that there was an issue getting parts, I asked how long until we could look at other options and they said 21 business days. As of a few days ago (October 7), the service provider determined that parts were unavailable (go figure). They uploaded this news to 2-10 for resolution. 2-10 has not provided any follow up to me and every time I call them (and wait on hold for ever) they state that they are still searching for parts and offer me a small cash out option to replace the unit myself. Keep in mind that we have been without our built-in convection oven/microwave since the middle of August.

Based upon my research, their cash out option is about 1/2 of the actual cost to replace. In order for me to get resolution, 2-10 would like me to not only provide a significant amount of cash out of pocket to replace what should be covered in full under my warranty plus continue paying them $75 a month for their service plus pay the service technician fee of $100. I told 2-10 I do not want a cash out option at half the replacement cost. As of one of my recent conversations (October 11), they are still looking into options.

Based upon this experience, I'm not quite sure what I am paying for with 2-10 home warranty. The item broke and parts are not available. Should I have to wait 6 months or 9 months for the parts? No one at 2-10 is able to provide me with a timeline on parts or if they are going to replace the appliance as they need 7 additional business days to review (tick tock tick tock - remember that I had to wait 21 business days to get the parts that never arrived). I suppose situations happen but just imagine if you were a 2-10 home warranty customer and in the heat of the summer your refrigerator or air conditioner went caput.

Nearly 2 months later and still no resolution. This is definitely not a seamless process. Lots of calls made to the service provider and to 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty. Nearly 2 months of this and still no resolution. Very disappointed. Microwave finally fixed 10-27-21, nearly 2 ½ months later and hours and hours of telephone calls and stress.

I decided to add this to my complaint with 2-10 Home Warranty. While I was waiting on resolution on microwave, my central a/c unit broke. The a/c is only 5 years old so even though I found this unusual, I thought fixing a broken part in a newer a/c unit should be easy. Was I wrong. I've spoken and texted my contractor on over 15 occasions and called and spoken with 2-10 Warranty even more and we seem to be spinning our wheels with no resolve or follow through here too.

To begin, the temperature has been in the mid-80's and my wife and I and our animals are feeling the heat. As with the microwave situation, I escalated the claim because neither the a/c vendor nor 2-10 Home Warranty seems to know what’s going on. My contractor, Atlantis Heating & Air said she has spoken with 2-10 several times and claims that 2-10 promised to have escalated the claim. The last promise was that the part (s) were to be "overnighted." That was at least 1 week ago. No confirmation on this from 2-10 as every time I call 2-10 to confirm or to get an update, there seems to be no or very little communications documented in their system regarding conversations with my contractor or a status update.

The latest conversation with 2-10 had them saying a new contractor had to be called because the other one quit. Every call to 2-10 is like starting over and every 2-10 rep promises action. I've also spoken with the 2-10 Purchasing Department and receive big promises with the same lack of follow through or resolve. When I ask 2-10 Home Warranty to transfer me to a supervisor I always get the answer that they are not available, but they promise a call-back within a couple hours. Of course, this never happens.

2-10 Home Warranty has fallen to bad home warranty company. Unfortunately, they charge higher rates than the others but provide equal or lower service than the much less expensive companies. Do yourself a favor and pay less for the same crappy service with someone else. Still no a/c repair and we are approaching 1 month since I called 2-10 home warranty. God forbid you have these issues with 2-10 home warranty in the heat of the summer.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

I have a home warranty with 2-10 and I went to put a claim in, Here let's start for the beginning. On August 25th my Grandmother passed away. On August 30th my air conditioner went out. My Grandmother's funeral was on Sept. 3rd. So August 30th when I went to put my claim in it said there was a credit hold. But my account is on auto pay and they had taken the payment but never took off the credit hold. So I called but you know it was a holiday weekend so there was nobody working who could help. So I used a out of network person and they had to replace my A/C.

Well when I called after the holiday the gentleman spoke with in accounting say it was a glitch in their system and said he would lift the hold that he could understand why it had did that, that I was paid up. So he sent my call to claims so I could get some of my money back. I have given them the invoice and everything that they have asked for, I'm still waiting to hear from anyone but everytime I call they tell me a supervisor will contact me in 4 hours which never happens.

This company is terrible. No customer service whatsoever. No supervisors around at all. I still have yet to hear from them. I spoke with a lawyer and this is not the first time they have been in trouble for this. So my next move is filing papers against this company. My mother and step father have owned the same kind of business on the east coast The Lights, and my Mother is the one who told me if they don't reimburse me some of my to take them to court. She paying for my lawyer. THANK YOU. CAREY

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information