1.1/5 (80 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 6 million homes over 40 years. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Structural warranties for new homes
    • Flexibility in selecting service providers
    • Provides essential coverage
    • Roof leak coverage available

Cons

• Service call fees can be high
    • Some state restrictions

Bottom Line

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has plans to cover appliances and systems for all homes and structural coverage for new homes. While coverage isn’t as extensive as other providers, 2-10’s plans are slightly more affordable than the competition.

Top 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The repair person was here in no time and took care of it. He came in, detected the problem, knew what the solution was, ordered the part that was needed and fixed it. 2-10 was al...

Verified

The air conditioning no longer blew hot air and the experience when I submitted the claim to 2-10 was fantastic. It was called in on a Friday and they said that I might not hear f...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty plans

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around the country peace of mind and financial protection, helping minimize the burden of costly repairs. A 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty service agreement gives homeowners nationwide access to a network of more than 6,000 authorized, independent service contractors. They can also access an online Homeowner Portal to manage their account, request service and renew their service agreement.

Coverage packages cover the cost of repairing or replacing certain systems, including parts and labor, for one low service call fee.

2-10 service plans are not available in Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota or Wyoming.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty cost

The monthly cost for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty starts at $19 for systems and appliances coverage. Your total cost will vary by plan and your selected service call fee, which ranges from $85 to $125. Their monthly rate comes at a lower cost than the industry average, while their service call fee runs slightly high. If you select any add-on coverage, this will also increase your monthly payment.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage

The company’s Systems and Appliances service agreement covers the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances, including parts and labor.

• AC/freon split system
    • Built-in microwave
    • Disposal
    • Trash compactor
    • Washer/dryer

Optional coverage: Available for home buyers, 2-10 offers optional coverage at an add-on rate for the following items: pre-season HVAC tune-up, extended pipe leak, roof leak, septic system, pool/spa equipment, water softener, well pump.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage exclusions

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty covers the failure of systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. Pre-existing conditions will only be considered for coverage if they were unknown and could not have been detected by visual inspection or simple mechanical test. 2-10’s service agreement does not cover damage due to misuse or abuse or natural disasters. They also won’t handle hazardous materials, like asbestos.

As is typical with most home warranties, 2-10 does not cover cosmetic defects. In the event a replacement item is provided, there are no guarantees they’ll match the existing brand and color of your current item.

Code violations and haul away services are only covered with the Supreme Protection add-on and HVAC Plus plan add-on. Commercial appliances are not covered under the warranty.

There may also be item-specific exclusions. These will be listed in your contract, so be sure to look for these and understand your coverage. Often, parts and components deemed non-essential to the core function of the item may be excluded. For example, while most of your kitchen appliances may be covered, parts like glass, shelves and accessories may not be covered.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage limits

2-10 Home Buyer’s Warranty lists the maximum aggregate liability for all claims in a contract term at $25,000. This is one of the higher limits we’ve seen. There is also an item specific limit on certain appliances and systems. This is the maximum 2-10 will pay for the repair or replacement of the item within one contract term.

Item2-10’s coverage limit
    Built-in or sealed refrigeration units$2,500
    Faucet repair and/or replacement$150/faucet
    Toilet replacement, in the event of sediment/ calcium build-up$300/toilet
    Limited roof leak$1,000/term
    Septic system$500/term
    Swimming pool$1,000/term
    Well pump$500/term
    Steam, hot water heat, hydronic systems, geothermal and water source systems, air conditioners, high-velocity systems$1,500/term
    Concealed or concrete encased items pertaining to ductwork, water, gas, drain, piping, leaks, breaks and wiring$500/term
    *Limits subject to change. Check your service agreement for up-to-date numbers

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Can I choose my own service provider?

Maybe. In the event that a 2-10 authorized contractor is unavailable, you may be able to select your own technician. The technician will diagnose the problem and then call 2-10 for prior authorization before beginning the work.

Is there a cancellation fee for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Yes. A $25 processing fee will be applied to your cancellation. Cancellation within 30 days entitles you to a full-refund less this fee, while cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund. Cancellation must be submitted in writing via email.

How do I request a service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Claims can be submitted online through the 2-10 homeowner portal or by calling their toll-free number. Both methods are available 24/7, and you can log in to the homeowners portal to check the status of your request at any time. To request service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty:

1. Submit a claim to 2-10.
    2. 2-10 will assign and dispatch a service contractor.
    3. Dispatched contractor will diagnose and repair the item if it’s covered under your warranty.
    4. You will pay the service call fee.

Emergency service: In emergency situations, 2-10 will make every effort to expedite a technician to your home within 24 hours.

Is 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty worth it?

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around-the-clock peace of mind should something in their home break. In business for nearly four decades, the company has accrued valuable experience taking care of homeowners around the country. Homeowners should be prepared to pay a service call fee for each separate service request. Overall, we found the pricing fair and the coverage adequate, if a little less comprehensive than other plans available. If you’re looking for straightforward coverage of your major systems and appliances, 2-10 should fit the bill.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

Original review: May 13, 2022

I contacted 2-10 warranty department in December 2021 for several issues we have with our new house. Builder was not responding so my understanding was that 2-10 will be covering because seller bought 1 year craftsmanship warranty for us through 2-10. But after several month of going back and forth warranty department stating that they can't get hold of the builder therefore they will not cover anything. It should go through the builder. Basically empty promises by real-estate and this 2-10 warranty. Very frustrated and disappointed but this 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty that covers nothing if your builder not willing to fix it.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Our realtor bought this warranty for us so I didn't even get a chance to read the Terms and Conditions of Service Agreement, but a bit of advice to new home buyers: same as with a car or any other big item, pay for an inspector to certify that the appliances or whatever you want covered in the warranty are in good standing condition prior to you gaining ownership and get evidence that you can show the warranty company.

After we moved in, we noticed the fridge was cold, but not enough to keep things from spoiling after two or three days. So we called 2-10 to get a tech out. Tech was in an out of the house in 10 min, without taking apart the fridge to check any of the major components. Tech told us it's the compressor and that it would take a week for the process of him reaching out to 2-10 and then proceeding from there. After the week, 2-10 calls us and basically tells us that the fridge is not covered because it was not in good condition before purchasing the warranty. After discussing with "Customer Service", unless you have evidence NOTHING in the house is covered. Side note: We had a co-worker/acquaintance who used to be an HVAC tech look at it (and by look at it I mean we facetimed, sheesh) and after a brisk diagnosis look through, told us it was a mechanical issue that is fixable. Keep an eye on the tech 2-10 sends out to make sure they do a thorough job.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2022

My dishwasher stopped working. They send incompetent repairmen three times and have replaced multiple parts with no success. They offered me only $100 to replace dishwasher despite the fact that I bought a policy that included replacement of the unit. The repairmen always replace a part and then tell me it must have needed a different part. When you try to reach 2-10 they keep you on hold for long periods and then you eventually get cut off. This is the worst company I have ever used in my entire life!

Original review: April 15, 2022

I first contacted 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty about my non-functioning refrigerator on December 19 of 2021. It was not cooling properly and being that they were my home warranty company I was hoping they could help me out. It took them a month before they finally got someone to come out. When he came out to look at my refrigerator he said something was leaking but he couldn’t fix it. So, I spoke with 2-10 and they said they will send someone else out. They sent out 1Call Service, a man by the name of Timothy to diagnose my refrigerator and fix it. He stated that it was the fan that was a problem and that he would have to order the fan.

It took another month before the fan came in and three weeks of excuses from Timothy before I actually got him to come out to put the fan in. In the interim, I called and spoke to a young lady at the company who stated that because it was taking so long for them to fix my refrigerator, at that time two months, she would give me the number to the replacement division. When I called this number the young lady answered the phone and she stated that it was not proper to replace the refrigerator at this time. She also stated that they must continue to work to fix the refrigerator. When I explain to her that it’s already been eight weeks and I still have no refrigerator she chose to bring her personal situation into the conversation, telling me that she once went 12 weeks without a primary refrigerator And that I just needed to be patient.

Annoyed by her insensitive decision to share such information with me, I ask for a supervisor. She put me on hold and no one ever came to the phone. Now, I do understand that my only being available on Fridays may have in some way hindered him somewhat, but we made appointments for Fridays, and he always had excuses why he couldn’t make it. The first week the weather was bad. Couldn’t get back in touch with home for two more weeks. The second time he didn’t feel well. Lost another week. The third time, he had to get dental work done on his teeth. Finally, after making several calls to the home warranty company Timothy showed up and put a fan in my refrigerator. He told me to wait 24 to 48 hours and if it wasn’t working to let him or the company know. Well, in 24 to 48 hours my refrigerator temperature was still 65°, not a very good temperature for keeping food cool.

I called to 2-10. They got in touch with Timothy. It took several days for him to send in his report, and Timothy returned with a motherboard. He installed the motherboard and said if this doesn’t work the only thing left is the condenser and 2-10 will have to give him approval to put that in. Timothy never called back to see if my refrigerator was working, hence, I called 2-10 again and they gave me the runaround for three weeks before getting in touch with Timothy about my refrigerator. We are now in April and my refrigerator was still not fixed. Finally I get a call from a Tanisha, from 2-10, who so kindly informs me that she has good news and bad. She said that the good news is that they know what’s wrong with my refrigerator; that Timothy called General Electric and he explained the problem to them, and they told him that there was a crack in one of the major components of my refrigerator.

She then informed me that the crack that was not a covered item because and that my warranty for the refrigerator, made void by the crack. She stated that she was so sad to tell me that they no longer had to fix or replace the refrigerator. The day Tanisha told me that my refrigerator was not fixable and that they would not replace it, I called a gentleman by the name of Stephen, of Stephen Sub Contracting. He was kind and courteous and although I tried to make an appointment with him for a week from Friday I was calling him, he even told me that he would come out the next day, on a Saturday, and look at my refrigerator! Stephen and his partner Steven came out and looked at my refrigerator, taking at least 4 to 5 times as long as Timothy ever took to diagnose the problem.

Before they left they informed me why Timothy couldn’t get it to work and assured me that it was fixed. And also that they would check back with me in 24 hours to make sure it was cooling appropriately. By the next morning my refrigerator had reached the appropriate temperature for cooling food. In fact, eight hours later the temperature was dropping continuously. I called Stephen to let him know that it was doing well. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent on the phone with 2-10, the headaches they caused with a run around, and their inept ability to resolve me issue. I also think It’s sad that they have contractors such as Timothy from 1 Call Service who have little or no ability to actually get the job done.

Original review: March 16, 2022

I submitted a service claim on January 9th....my heating unit stopped working. I completed the form listing my furnace info. A contractor came out the following day. He left and days later, 2-10 told us that they would be sending a new contractor since the original one wasn't certified to work on my unit. What was the point of telling what make and model I have if they weren't even going to get a certified contractor?

We get a new contractor assigned - this is now a week after submitting the request, mind you, it's winter. The next contractor comes, he diagnoses the problem and makes an adjustment. I came home at 6 pm to no heat. The contractor is called and scheduled to come the next day. Days later, he comes back and diagnoses a problem. Then we wait weeks for contractor and 2-10 to determine the course of action....still no heat all this time. My husband proceeded to call 2-10 multiple times each week to get this issue resolve. He waits on hold for hours each time, only to explain and re-explain the same info to each 2-10 employee that comes on the line.

It was decided that the unit would be replaced, 2 weeks go by and no response from 2-10. Husband calls again. Now they think they found the part needed and will order it. Said it would be 3-5 days....2 weeks go by and no one at 2-10 knows anything. What's frustrating is that they don't even care that I've gone the majority of the winter with no heat. Part finally arrives and contractor puts it in....only to wake up this morning with NO HEAT. Now it's another issue and the part will be ordered, with no guess as to when that will arrive and be put in. Time is coming due for my warranty to be renewed....I'm thinking they aren't getting another penny from me!!! It may have been different if at any time I felt that they genuinely cared and worked their hardest to fix the problem in a timely manner....but I nor my husband ever got the feeling that our issue was a priority to this company that I have done business with for the last 8 1/2 years. So done with them!!!!

Original review: March 13, 2022

Last summer my AC went out out. They wouldn't replace the unit and now I'm without heat going into my 3rd month. Patchwork. I pay on time. Please fix my unit once and for all. Thanks. It's cold snowing.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

I would not recommend 2-10 Warranty. They spend 10 months, their resolution was not to fix or replace my refrigerator, they provided only a small portion to cover cost. But never gave me money. Total scam, service ticket on portal is closed, so no way to escalate or open another request in the system. Been on hold for 17 hours trying to get in to talk, sent old requests, ask for resolution, people promise to help, nothing done. Amazingly bad. But they send requests, calls, and aggressive sales to renew. Makes me laugh.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

Reported and issue on 1/26/22 with our heat and the contractor came out to investigate the following week to find we needed a defrost board. Contractor indicated they would need to order the part. Understanding this and the possibilities with material delays, I offered to purchase the needed part, that I sourced that day, so we could return my working heat. After two weeks of me initiating the call to the contractor and still with no part or heat, a call was put in to 2-10 HBW. After being on hold for 48 minutes, a not so pleasant lady picks up and I voice my concerns. She places me on hold to call the contractor. She returns to say the contractor has indicated the part is in transit, so I can't provide the part as I would be upset if I ordered the wrong part....

I immediately called the contractor and he indicated the part had not been shipped and he did not know when it may be. Now the emergency heat is no longer working as we have been running it to keep the house warm for nearly three weeks with temperatures in the 20's. The part is available in the area for about $100 bucks but we are still without any heat now while we wait to get a part from somewhere else... Very frustrated member who has paid monthly to have a home warranty!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I've paid for a 2-10 Warranty for the last several years and have had timeliness issues in the past. I always have to call and escalate to get an engagement from them. On the evening of January 26th, I used their online portal to file a claim for a malfunctioning dishwasher. It is covered under my plan - in fact I paid an up-charge for "premium" appliance servicing. The portal processed the claim and told me I'd be hearing from their assigned contractor ("Long Lane Home") within 24 hours. I did not hear after 1 full day, so tried calling the contractor numerous times. The phone just rang with no answer, no message, no answering service.

On the 28th, I tried the contractor several times, as well, and same no answer result. At 6:32 PM, I called 2-10 for resolution. I spoke to Andrea, who informed me that the 24 hours on the website was misleading - it's really 48 hours for them to respond. (Correct your website then!) She tried calling the contractor while I was on hold and came back to tell me she also didn't have any luck with an answer. I asked when would this 48 hours technically be up and she said they had until the end of 1/29 to contact me. (That's really bad math, clearly). I told her that wasn't acceptable and she indicated a supervisor would contact me within 4 hours.

Today is January 30th and no supervisor ever called. I tried 2-10 and they are closed on Sundays. I tried the contractor several times over the last several days with no answer. I believe this is part of a strategy that 2-10 employs to slow play the service. As mentioned, we can't really blame this on the pandemic or job shortage or supply chain as: 1.) It happens nearly every time I do need service going back many years and 2.) Calling someone to update or schedule doesn't rely on parts coming in from China. I am super frustrated with them and their lack of responsiveness. You pay for a service hoping you never need it, but when you do - PROVIDE IT!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

I feel bad reading some of the other reviews - it looks like some people have waited MONTHS without a response. I'm only here at about the 2 week mark, but nevertheless, I'm left without heating and I can already see the writing on the wall. Home warranty was purchased as part of a real estate sale - not uncommon, though I've never really tried to use warranty coverage before, and now I see why. The HVAC company responded and came out quickly enough - they diagnosed the system as needing a new sensor (I googled, it's like $20) and collected the $100 deductible pay on the spot, stating they'd need to return with the part. Fast forward a week and I hadn't heard back, so I call them and leave a message - no response. Next day, same thing.

Finally on day 3 I found a different number and reached the owner of the company, and he tells me they submitted the authorization to the home warranty company, but hadn't heard back. So I call 2-10 HB (naturally I was on hold like 30 minutes) and they tell me they never received the authorization request. The agent puts me on hold and calls the HVAC company, then returns and tells me they said they submitted it but since it wasn't received, they were going to resubmit it. Here I am days later and guess what - still no heat, still no contact from anyone.

I try to use the "Escalate your claim" feature on the website and get a website error "The requested URL was rejected." I've now tried to submit a request to switch contractors, and my appointment was (somehow retroactively for 10 days ago) cancelled with the original contractor and a new one is scheduled to come out, but the kicker is that I'm sure THEY'RE going to want the deductible payment too, and that isn't going to happen. I'd rather spend my money fixing it myself, or hiring a reputable local HVAC company I know will get the job done and not leave me hanging indefinitely with no contact. I could NEVER recommend 2-10 HB warranties after this experience.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information