3.9/5 (253 ratings)

About Sceptre TV

Sceptre TV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sceptre TV?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sceptre TV?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I bought my 9 year old son a Sceptre 50-in LED television for Christmas from Santa Claus. When my son came back from his father's and opened his gifts and we plugged his television in there's no picture or sound! So we put the tv back in the box as was when bought. Went to the Wal-Mart we purchased it through and was told we had to contact the brand of the television. I then had to go out and spend 400$ more dollars on a television that was the same price but a 60 inch and smart which mine wasn't. All I'm asking is for another television with the same value as the broken one sold to me.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I bought the Sceptre 55" UHD TV from Walmart online on sale. I ignored a few bad reviews I found and bought the extended 3 yr. warranty just in case. After hooking up the tv in the kids room they played on Xbox One for 2.5 hours. It's not a 4k gaming console. After 2.5 hours the tv kicked over to 4k and went black. I tried unplugging it. I tried doing a factory reset. Still nothing. It goes black after 1 minute on the home screen. I'm returning it tomorrow. My fingers were crossed to begin with since it was only $300.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I bought this TV from Walmart for the guest room. The TV might have 20 hours on it. The other day my husband went to watch Columbo... because the girls and I had had enough of "just one more thing?" and all of a sudden the TV went black. So disappointed. I read that this has happened to so many others. Will never buy from Walmart again!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Had my TV for only two years and spent 400.00 for it. It was working fine. I get up to use the restroom and come back and the TV was black. Just that quick. Good TV to no TV in a matter of seconds. And of course the warranty has expired.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

After a year of watching TV once a week maybe a couple of hours total. My tv went black. Warranty was over and the screen went black and after spending $400, I'm with a black screen TV that does me no good! I'm so disgusted after going from a Samsung that had a black screen to a Spectre with a black screen. I give up. That's 1500 in under 4 years and I have no good tv. My boyfriend is buying me a Vizio. I recommend everyone not to buy either brands from Any place! My mom has a 10 year old Vizio I bought for her and it's still working!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I bought the 19" Sceptre TV and received it on October 4, 2017 and it broke 21 days later! I've sent in the warranty and information on it. Got an email back saying they would send me what I need to return for repair w/in 48 hours. Tomorrow will be one week and not a word. I've emailed twice and called twice nothing! Bad product and even worse customer service!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I bought my son the Sceptre U550CVU 55" 4K Ultra HD TV from Walmart, August 2016. I gave it to him for Christmas. He's in the Army so it's barely used. He turned it on to watch the football game, and the screen went black. It still has sound. I called Sceptre customer service. The rep. said it's too bad, the warranty is only for a year and told me I should just go buy a new one! I have an LG and a Vizio TV. Both are over 10 years old and work fine. They were both more expensive, but do the math. A Sceptre is made to last 1 year or less. If you buy one every year at $379. Where's the value? It's a good price, great picture, (lousy sound, you have to purchase a sound bar} Beware!

Original review: July 10, 2017

I bought this TV (Sceptre 55" 4K) 3 months ago for $350 and a 4-year warranty. The picture is just as clear in HD as my LG TV was. And I paid $2k for it 3 years ago. It just stopped working all of a sudden. This TV is great for the price. You can't beat it. I haven't seen 4K on it yet since nothing is broadcast in 4K. I use Roku in 4K but that's a streaming service so it's not "real" 4K like you see in Best Buy or HHGregg on their TV's. Sometimes the source button changes volume, and the volume up makes it go down etc. but all in all great TV.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I currently have 4 TVs of various screen sizes and the Sceptre provides the best picture and sound package of all of them. I have contacted their C/S and have rewarded by instant return calls and solutions without problems. This item, sold at Walmart stores for hundreds under regular price has been a positive buy for our household. It provides a decent picture and adds to a room rather than dominates it. Everyone should have a Sceptre TV.

Original review: June 2, 2017

Sceptre is a very affordable television and it fits my budget. The picture quality is good and I had no trouble setting up my dvr. The menu is very easy to navigate as well.

Original review: May 1, 2017

Earlier today, I contacted the re-seller, Wal-Mart, and filed a formal complaint. It is readily apparent that Spectre sells sub-standard products - for many years. For Wal-Mart which prides itself with providing "good" value product to consumers, this is an easy Class Action Lawsuit waiting to happen (if not already). After reading so many complaints, across the web, I honestly don't understand how Wal-Mart continues to sell Spectre products to its customers. I feel betrayed by Wal-Mart and will definitely think twice before buying items from Wal-Mart, going forward.

Original review: March 30, 2017

Purchased a flat screen tv 55 in Sceptre on 06/23/16. Tv has great picture and sound. Was very pleased. Then 9 months later we was watching the news and a blue line appeared in middle of screen. It was on all channels and with tv unhooked from our Cable it still has a blue line. No scratches, no dents, no damage. Purchased it off Walmart.com. Bought the 3 yr warranty. Called Sceptre due to the warranty procedures and they asked me to send in pictures so we did. They will not cover it because they say it has physical damage! How do you get physical damage when tv has no damage or dents is like brand new. It has a line in middle of screen while tv is on. Very dissatisfied with this company and the warranty. Don't buy one!!

Original review: March 18, 2017

The first one came with a cracked screen, but they sent a replacement, but I had to pay UPS $10 to pick it up. The second one is fine for watching TV and inputs, but the remote system is broken. Not the remote control, but whatever is in the TV that receives the remote signal does not work so I will never buy this brand again.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I was watching TV on my 32" Sceptre TV, when all of a sudden it faded to a black screen. I'm like wth is going on. My daughter bought it for me in 2015 for a Christmas present. I have tried everything that I saw a lot of others trying to get their Sceptre Tv working, Nothing worked. Wrote to Sceptre and was sent a message back, "I'm sorry it's over. 1 yrs old our warranty is only for 1 yr", (which I told them I got it in 2015) "but WE will be happy to have one of our techs fix it". Well of course they will FOR A NICE HEFTY PRICE!

Kind of STUPID for anyone to pay to get it fixed when it's SUCH A CHEAP TV!! I have Never had a tv die in only 2yrs. Heck I just got rid of 2, 25yr old TVs I should have kept!! Well I WILL NOT EVER BUY SCEPTRE TVs AGAIN!! I still have 2 that I'm waiting to die out on me soon!! Guess you want something that's gonna work, buy a NAME BRAND and made in the USA!!! Time to put on FaceBook and write the BBB. One Very Upset Lady Here!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

U55 4K HD - I purchased form Walmart. First one tuner did not work, returned. 2nd one power supply would not fire up tv correctly. 3rd tv had 2 inch spot dead pixel and 1.375 inch spot of dead pixels. 4th TV YES I RETURNED 3 times. The 4th TV had intermittent power supply problems, background inverted? Red SCEPTRE emblem was almost turquoise. 2.5 months months later will not turn on at all!! Returned for refund... It had great picture. 3 of the four tuned in channels great. I have a 42 inch Sceptre that is 12+ years old. Been a great TV and It is back up at this time... Too bad Sceptre has went to DO DO. I live in California. Was proud to get TV from California... Shame on you Sceptre... I now have tell my friends what a bad mistake I made :(

Original review: July 5, 2016

You get what you pay for! TV bought almost two years ago and is no longer working. Stopped working after a year, it was fixed by their comp under warranty and again no picture. It took forever for them to reply to our request the first time. Buy a quality brand.

Original review: June 18, 2016

I purchased a Sceptre tv on 6/23/2016. I went through all the motions with customer service to return my tv. To this date I have had no satisfaction whatsoever. I have been dealing with this for a little over 2 months, you would think that at this point something would have been done. I paid 248.00 dollars for this 4k tv and it is still not fixed. Dealing with Sceptre is a joke. I just sent an email to their corporate office, Let's see if I will get any satisfaction this time... My recommendation is not to purchase a product from Sceptre electronics. You will not be a happy customer.

Original review: May 29, 2016

Bought this TV Nov 2012 for Christmas. Worked about a year then the power button would not turn on. TV sent to Walmart. Plans maintenance for repairs. After about a month it came back ok. About 2 months later the same problem happened. So went there--plans deal again for a month. They sent it back and it did not work yet. So I sent it back through the plans deal. A month later received it back. Worked about 8 months and a black line appeared in the center of the TV. And today the TV turns on. Goes to the Sceptre deal for about a second and then turns black. That is it for me and Sceptre. Purchased from Walmart.Com. Purchase date: November 29, 2012. Purchase price: $189.00. Model number: x32. Serial number: c49x322bct2500 Store return period: 0 days.

Original review: May 26, 2016

I bought a 49" 4K Ultra HD Sceptre TV online, through Newegg, a West Coast electronics company I have done business with for many years. Sceptre is apparently a "Marketplace" 3rd party supplier to Newegg. The first TV came with a damaged LCD screen. After contacting both Newegg and Sceptre, they said they would file a claim against FedEx, for shipping damage (even though the carton was in perfect condition). I shipped it back for a replacement. The second TV arrived with a defect at the bottom of the screen surround molding, which resulted in a major light leak. The screen also displayed a thin blue line from top to bottom at the center of the screen. So, a second defective one. I contacted them again, and again they claimed shipping damage and said they would file another claim. At this point I was becoming angry at their cavalier attitude and apparent disdain for true customer service.

In any case, I agreed to try again, and shipped it back for another replacement. The third arrived with a picture that was OK, but the sound was terrible - it actually sounded like the walkie-talkies we used to make when we were kids, using two tin cans and a string. When I contacted them about this, they said that the speakers on an LCD TV don't sound that good because of narrow packaging space. At this point, I went from what was a slow burn, to a very, very irate customer. The audio was clearly defective, and it had nothing to do with speaker design or packaging. What are the odds against receiving 3 defective TVs in a row? It's like winning (in my case, like losing) the lottery.

I returned the third one and insisted on a refund. Mind you, I live in Florida and these TVs came from California, so it took awhile for FedEx Ground to deliver and return them - about a week each time. So they told me that "well, your 30 day free return period has expired now." You can imagine how irate I became with that, and they said, "well, OK. We'll make an exception in this case". What kind of customer service is that? Was it my fault that they delivered to me three defective TVs? On top of all that, they would not refund the purchase on my credit card until the third defective TV had been received at their facility and scanned. I kept track of the FedEx shipping progress each time, and I actually had to inform Sceptre that the third TV had arrived at their facility in City of Industry, CA, that morning at 8:17 AM. They didn't know it until I told them!

Believe it or not, I am actually shortening this story a bit. If I told the complete story, including all the time I spent telling Newegg and Sceptre how disappointed and angry I really was, it would require a lot more space. After all, I had to repackage each defective TV exactly the way it was received, then wait for FedEx to show up (they don't always come when you expect them to) and the "window" of arrival is always in hours, not minutes. However, the only party not "guilty" in this case is, indeed, FedEx.

In all 3 instances, the TVs arrived in good condition, as far as the packaging. I am convinced - and I told both Newegg and Sceptre - that the TVs were not damaged in shipment, but had to be defective before they were shipped. The only reason I gave this review even one star, is there is no option for zero stars. What is really ironic about this whole experience is that last year I purchased a Sceptre 40" LCD TV through Wal-Mart Online. It has had outstanding picture and audio quality since I received it. Go figure.

Original review: May 24, 2016

Horrible picture and sound! 50" went out in one yr. after watching the junk 0-10 hrs. per week! Horrible bootleg customer service! You want quality electronics spend your $ accordingly! Also do research.

Original review: May 23, 2016

I bought this TV on December 15th 2014. A year and a half and it's already not working. The manufacturer warranty it is for one year. You can hear it but no picture. Do not buy this TV. It is worthless. When you buy a new TV you expect for it to last more than a year and a half. Maybe five years. Only buy this TV if you want to throw away money. My Emerson TV lasted 10 years.

Original review: April 2, 2016

Sceptre E555BVF 55 1080p 60Hz Class LED HDTV purchased online through Walmart and received TV 12/17/16. Wasn't overly impressed with quality but not worth the hassle to return. Fast forward 6 or 8 weeks and the picture has a yellow halo on the right center. Looks like many of the actors are recovering from a black eye. Tried to return to Walmart for an exchange or store credit 12 days after the allowance time and they refused first because of the time lapse and then refused because I ordered it online. I have limited mobility and had to wait for my son to come home for Easter to return TV. Couldn't believe they wouldn't accept it, especially since I had all original packaging and had even sent him with all of medical visits and costs associated with me being bedridden 90% of the time.

I had really thought a human could understand another human's woes. Not in this case. Sceptre is impossible to get in touch with - TV supposedly under a 1 yr warranty which is just BS. My advice to anyone is to never purchase a Sceptre product and go hungry if it means buying a product from a reputable company. The reviews is what drew me to this TV and yet I get a lemon while WalMart and Sceptre drink lemonade.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

I read reviews on Walmart.com about the tv failing too soon. I purchased mine July 2015, and this is Jan 18 2016 - about an hour and a half ago, I was turning down the sound, in order to switch inputs. all of a sudden, the tv (which was, at the time, displaying HDMI input from my desktop PC) began to cycle through about 10 or so, vivid, full screen colors. It would not register any input from the remote, also. I then unplugged it and waited a few seconds... When I plugged it up again, it powered on with the Sceptre logo, on its own, I did not power it on... Then it began to cycle the same colors, but there was audio coming through the speakers from my coaxial antenna connection.

I contacted Walmart through live chat, and the representative was about to issue a refund... She then told me that it had been too long to give a refund and gave me a toll free number and website of Sceptre. When I called Sceptre there is no customer support available... The machine prompted me to leave a message. Sceptre's live chat only sent an email to Sceptre. I will try and contact Sceptre again in order to get fair compensation, but I advise anyone considering purchasing a tv from Walmart to buy the protection plan. I wish that I had done that 6 months ago.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

I got our current main family room TV at a charity auction. It's a 42 inch Sceptre, a brand I never heard of before, but it works great! Good picture, fair sound, lots of inputs for cable, Chrome adaptor, external audio etc. We've had it over two years and have had no problems. Our other TVs are by SONY, Vizio, Element, Westinghouse etc. We had a SONY Trinitron that lasted over 30 years, a large screen Samsung that lost audio after a few years and a very expensive Panasonic big screen that was a total lemon. The Sceptre compares well to all the TVs we've had.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

Wish I could take it back, should have checked with Consumers Report first, the sound cracks and the color is horrible. I'll never buy this brand again, very poor customer service.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

50 inch Spectre. Only complaint is the sound is a little too low. I added a sound bar and it's perfect. I do not have lots of money so it was perfect for me.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

The picture went out after a month. It a terrible brand. I would never buy one again. I couldn't get the company to fix it even though it was under warranty.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Acceptable but now getting faint black streak in middle of screen. Would buy another brand when the time comes. Ports should all be on back. Unsightly side ports for connection to DVR.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

This tv plays a beautiful picture. But after watching it for two years the screen started fading with a black line across it. The name of the tv is Sceptre. I think Sony makes it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Just bought this TV from Walmart so I don't have lots to add. It's a 40" flat screen LED which cost less than $200.00. It has 3 HDMI, 1 VGA and 1 component. Easy set up and assembly (stand). Works fine, fair to good picture and benefits from add-on speakers (a decent set of computer speakers work fine). Also took 4 year warranty for $40.00 through Walmart. I'm satisfied!

Sceptre TV Company Information