Compare TV Brands

Research top TV Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

TV can't be fixed because of no support and nowhere to find the parts.

I purchased an HP TV. For the second time, I experienced the dreaded loud pop. Now it has sound but no picture AND no support. I called customer support and corporate but was directed to seek assistance online!

Bought 42" HP PL4260N Plasma TV from Best Buy in 2007. In Oct 2011, I got the dreaded "Pop" sound, no picture just sound. I contacted HP Customer service, which was a complete waste of time. They knew about the Y sustain boards being faulty and for awhile back in 2007 they were repairing them for free, that stopped in 2009.

Now they no longer care or are willing to help. Customer Service told me to buy the Y sustains board from eBay and install it myself. After researching the problem, it is apparent that all the HP plasma TV's only last for 2/3 years.

It is very costly to repair the TV, because if 1 board has blown, then mostly likely all 3 boards will either be dead or will very likely blow out too.

We paid $1700.00 for this piece of junk. HP used cheap defective parts knowing that the TV would only be good for 3 years. There needs to be a lawsuit, HP no longer makes TV's, I wonder why?

I will never purchase a HP product again. Do yourself a favor and buy the cheapest TV you can get, because all the big names use the same cheap boards / electronics inside which will fail in 3 years. It’s guaranteed.

I contacted HP support about my TV, model HP MD6580N, and they said they no longer support that TV and I need to order the parts. When I checked into the parts, they are no longer available. I called service repair shops and they do not work on that brand of TV. I paid over $4,000.00 for the TV and I still have all the paper work for the TV. I bought it end of 2005 and little did I think of, my TV would go out and become obsolete in 6 years.

I purchased an HP MD6580N 65 inch DLP rear projection TV on Feb 17, 2006. On May 9, 2010, TV video started flickering. I called HP at 1-800-474-6836, and talked to their tech support. They said the TV was out of warranty, and if I pay $629.00, they would send parts and tech out to my house, and fix the problem. They sent the parts and a tech, but did not fix problem. They sent another part and tech, and did not fix problem. I talked to an HP tech over the phone, and he said that the correct part should be a light engine or "engine module", as listed in the manual. I asked if he could send the part, and he said he would talk to his supervisor. The part was never sent.

The repair tech who showed up at my door called HP, and asked HP to send the engine module. They said they would, and sent power supply instead, for the 2nd time. I just received a call on 5/21/10 at 8:00AM from Rodney ** at HP, and he asked if the tech fixed the problem with the part that was sent out. After I quit laughing and told him that he knew they were sending the wrong part, and that I tried to convey that to the repair tech, with no luck. He admitted that HP no longer supported the part I needed. I asked him what HP was going to do next. He asked if I had a receipt and when I purchased TV. I told him I did, and it was Feb. 2006.

He said HP would refund my $629.00 plus $499.00. They will send out company to pick it up at no cost. I paid $4,999.00 plus $10.00 recycle fee four years ago, and feel I should receive a better settlement. The TV had a great picture, until the day it quit working, and now I feel like I am getting **, because HP does not want to support their product. I talked to a TV sales guy last night, and he said that TV companies, by law, have to provide support for their products, 7 years after sale. HP seems to know this, and is willing to buy me off for $499.00. This problem has gone on for over two weeks, and I am a little frustrated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Ater Katrina and finally finished rebuilding my house I bought a new flatscreen HDTV from Best Buy. After 2 years to the day the picture goes out but still have sound.I cannot get anywhere with HP cause they keep transfering me to another line. HP is telling me I have to pay 649.00 for a part plus labor. I do not have this kind pf money after finally rebuilding my house. 2 years old for what seem to be a top notch TV and it goes out and cost a fortune tofix. After searching the internet this problem has happened quite a few times.

I purchased A HEWLETT PACKARD LCD television from Sams club back in October 2006 I believe not to sure on date. Any how ever since I purchased the television I always had problems with it from day one. The bulb in the TV broke 2 times in first year had it replaced by HP at no expense due to malfunction. It continued to blow bulb out again hp sent one of one of their contractors technicians out to replace the tower inside stated that was the problem why bulb kept blowing out. In total it has blown out about 5 times now 2 years . SO then I went through the protection plan from Sams club they also replace the baluster (I believe that is what it's called ).

When I called hp the last time it happened the employee in technical support explained to me this specific model has had a lot of issues. I requested a refund or exchange many times they stated if continue to do the same thing they could see what can happen. But like always I called and then different rep was very unhelpful to my satisfaction about product stating my fault why TV keeps doing what it is. And a different story every time.

So I am asking for your help bottom line since you are the highest I can go. To please help me get a refund or exchange for a different model. In my entire life never had so many issues with a television. My first time buying this brand I will never again do the same mistake. So I email the CEO of Hewlett Packard in regards to my frustration and complaint. I receive email back stating that he has handed my case to a case manager to further assist me. I receive a email from Gordon to return his call. I call and speak with Jorge another case manager very rude in his level of professionalism.

So I explain to him my situation and provide all my case# provided and job work # and names of all employees I spoke with. He explains to me finds nothing in the system only 1 time back in march /2008 when they replaced light bulb for free. And nothing else coming up pretty much told me I was lying that all those case# and job# I provided where not on system. Finally after trying to explain I had no reason to lie and why spend some much time trying to correct situation. Refused to listen to me never offered to look into it further or apologized.

I call back and speak with a employee in their technical dept where I had called many times spoke with Steve who he explained possible reason why information not available. State company had a conversion of system or new system and not all information transferred to new system and a lot of information deleted so anything from 2007 would not come up anymore. So at this point I am upset that all my hard work and notes and case # I wrote down and get as proof were no longer in existence on their system just deleted so no way to prove my complaints. Awful customer service coming from a case manager in upper mg mt never advised me that was reason why not pulling up pretty much saying I was lying through my teeth.

I recently had to purchase another lamb for the TV that was just replaced in June and all of the mechanical inside 170.00

I purchased an HP Plasma television in June of 2006. In June of 2008, the television's video board went and the tv is not able to display a picture (audio is working fine). I found numerous examples of this happenning with this model HP television (HP PL4260N), on various internet reporting sites. HP offers a 'free-fix' for this problem on this model, PROVIDING your tv's serial number is within a specific range of serial numbers.

So, while HP is admitting(via the 'free-fix' offer) they have a problem with the video board expiring in this model, they refuse to take ownership of this problem on my behalf(because my serial number does not fit their range). I asked HP to address the issue as a possible product defect(due to the numerous sitings of this issue), and they refused, telling me I would need to solicite service from a service provider such as Best Buy. I was quoted a price of $700 to fix this problem.

I do not believe a consumer should have to pay nearly 35% of the products original price less than two years from purchase date, on a problem the company has acknowledged as a defect. I hope with your assistance we can bring this to light for the service administrators at HP. Econimic damages: I purchased the tv for $2000 in 6/2006. I was quoted repairs for a defective part for $700. The part became defect on it's own, as the tv was not improperly used. The repairs results in 35% of the original tv's purchase price.

My name is Wali **. I'm a resident of New Jersey. In February of this year I was fortunate enough to purchase a 2nd home is Las Vegas, NV. I immediately went to my local Best Buy and purchased (2) HP Plasma Televisions. The picture on the 50" TV went out while watching a movie with my family. When I returned home, I called HP and had a very difficult time contacting someone to address my problem. The voice prompt sent me to HP computer monitor repairs. I was also told by one rep. that HP did make or sell Televisions. Finally after contacting someone to address my issues, I was told that I needed to give them the serial number from the Television before the service could be set up. The serial number was not on my receipt, which required another trip to Nevada. I've had a total of three trips to Nevada to try and get the TV repaired. The situation is still not resolved. The solution that is now being offered to me is totally unreasonable.

On July 27th 2007, the service company came to replace the boards in the Television. I was told that this service would totally resolve all of my issues. After spending almost two hours with the technician. I learned that the Television could not be repaired. There I was on another vacation with not being able to fully enjoy my home and being confined to only my bedroom. I spoke with Craig at ext# ** and was told that I will have to wait for up to a month for a replacement Television. I called today August 2nd and was informed that I was being sent a refurbished Television from HP. I will not accept a used Television because I don't think that is an adequate replacement for a newly purchased Television with less than 50 hours of viewing. I'm requesting a new Television or a full refund. The summer is almost over and I haven't been able to fully enjoy my home and I've been terribly inconvenienced and treated unfairly.

I remember Craig at customer service being rude and disrespectful. I know that most companies record phone calls. If you can access my last conversation with Craig I urge you to take a moment and listen to him tell me, "I'm sorry, Mr. **, but it isn't our fault that you don't live there full time, and we are certainly not going to buy you a plane ticket for your travels." In closing, I have clients that are visiting my home, later this month. They are flying out on August 19, 2007. I'm requesting a delivery of a NEW Television on the morning of August 20, 2007, or a full refund so that another TV can be purchased.

Purchased a 42" plasma from HP from the internet. Two months after warranty expired, TV quit. Called HP. $250.00 for service tech to look at it. I was told the board that went bad is not available.This TV was $3500.00. Can't believe replacement parts cannot be found. Will never purchase HP product again! Out $3750.00. As far as I'm concerned, could have bought my stepson a car with that money instead of trying to have a nice family room with HP TV as a centerpiece. Screwed me once. Won't happen again.

Hewlett Packard TV Company Profile