3.9/5 (140 ratings)

About Google Home

Google Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Google Home?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Google Home?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

Gmail is confusing if one has a lot of threads, messages on same thread. The text is not in different colors, no color options seem to be available so that one can easier find a Gmail from a different date. I do not receive my business Gmails often. In Gmail, there should be an easier way to find how to change one's password. Google Business usually sends out a confirmation card with one's business information, they sent me one card with the wrong phone number, they said they fixed that but then I did not receive another confirmation card that they did the repair. I cannot seem to add Paypal to my Google Business website, maybe I can but I did not see instructions on how to do that. Google is much better than most other options, but Google does not seem very user-friendly.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

Google Nest does not live up to the hype. I made the mistake of buying a nest thermostat for the $129.99 before first reading online reviews. I’ve learned my lesson, for good this time, I like the browser as I use Duck Duck Go for searches. Products however are a totally different world. After buying the Nest, took it home and installed it myself, the installation finished without any issues, saw it on my Google home app, I don’t know why it does not work with Google’s Nest app, it was great!

Google sent me an email saying that there was unrepairable issue with the Nest, that could not be fixed at the unit nor could it be repaired remotely. What I should have done at that point is packed it p and return it to the store that I bought it from. I would have chosen another brand if I knew what a severe headache customer service was going to be.

The store-bought one lasted for about 6 weeks and the day that I received that email, the unit stopped working, it refused to see any of the wires hooked into it and refused to show up in the Google home app. I the called the number in the email and it took about 10 minutes all totaled to get an RMA. After that I received another unit in about 4-5 days. I removed the older unit that I had put back on, (had to, it was 102 degrees here), and quickly installed the back plate and the “New” unit, found out that the unit also would not see any of my wiring.

I called Google customer service back, they gave me a code for having On Tech to install the unit for free, they also stated at that time that Google only exchanges your new equipment for a refurbish fully checked or repaired unit. (But I had already paid for a new one, why would I want a refurb that was already sent back?)

Well today the tech shows up and checks my wiring and said that nothing was wrong with the wires, he then climbed on the roof to my HVAC unit, remove the service panels and tested all of my wires and said the correct voltage was coming through. Then he came back down and tested all of the wires in the wall, they were also testing clean & with the correct voltage. He then went out to his truck and got a new one that he was supposed to have for a person that cancelled their appointment. It also stated that the wires were all not detected.

So back again on the phone to customer service, this time I got another CS on the line while the tech was still there and he was going to make us go back through all of the troubleshooting that I had already performed the day before. The Tech then took over the call and stated all of the troubleshooting that we had already completed. The CS said when I complained about getting a refurbished unit, that, they were instructed to only send the refurbished ones when they had a non-functioning unit, even if the unit was purchased new in store. He offered to send another refurb, this time I said no.

The tech had to leave at this point to go to another customer. I called the CS back, got a different person, who listened to my woeful story and said let her get a supervisor, I was on hold for about 40 minutes and then was hung up on. Called back and told my story again and again was put on hold for almost an hour. I called back again and was put on hold, with horrible hold music, for another hour and a half, CA saying that she would get her supervisor. As f today, I had not really gotten through to anyone that can remedy this issue. I guess I will take this loss and write a lot of really bad review until customers realize that the hardware is mostly rubbish, they have it your agreement that they can address any issues at their choice, not yours.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2022

As of June 2022, the features and performance of the Google Nest Aware (IMHO) are entirely substandard. It seems the product should be labeled Beta, or at the very least marked as being in it's infancy. There are so many flaws and missing features Google should be embarrassed to put their name on it. While their "feedback" option seems to work, their support is abysmal. If I were able to, I would return all the Google products I own and try Amazon Alexa, or perhaps build a custom system.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I can't believe how much Google has messed up Nest since they bought them. Some cameras work in the old Nest App and some you have to use the Home App. But, in the Home App you have way fewer features. And the the new Nest thermostat is incompatible with the Nest Temperature sensor. Google is going backwards with this product line.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

My friend purchased a pack of Google Play cards as a gift for me. The package contained three cards with a balance of $10 each. When I attempted to redeem the cards only one worked properly. The other two could not be redeemed as the access codes were unreadable. I contacted google customer service and asked how to redeem the cards and the customer service agent I've had to deal with has been absolutely frustrating. I sent everything they asked for to show proof of purchase and all the other necessary information but that wasn't good enough.

I had to send images of the receipts a second time which I did and now the person has disappeared. They were quick to ask me to do things to resolve their defective card issue but now that I've provided everything they need they haven't responded. All they need to do is provide access codes so I can get $20 redeemed to my google account. Very frustrating experience and sad that google can't resolve a very simple problem with some level of efficiency. For $20 they lost any possibility of future purchases from my friend and I and hopefully everyone we tell this story to.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I have 8 outdoor wired Nest Cameras. An electrical short occurred on one at the USB/Power Adapter connection. Camera was installed by a Google Authorized Contractor, (not homeowner). Unit was 3 months out of warranty. Numerous calls, submissions of pictures and information went into a "black hole". My case was referred to the "Safety Review Department". Weeks later..no response. Terrible customer service. BE VERY CAREFUL OF THE WIRED NEST OUTDOOR CAMERAS DUE TO THE USB/POWER ADAPTER CONNECTION. Mine shorted and Google has totally ignored my case.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Very Good, It is amazing. The Home Mini is a voice-controlled speaker that can be used to play music, control smart home gadgets, answer trivia questions, add things to a shopping list, create calendar appointments, or play video on a Chromecast-enabled screen. Recently, Google added the ability to place phone calls from the Home speakers, as well as use them to locate your phone if you’ve misplaced it somewhere in your home. (It’s in the couch. It’s always in the couch.)

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

My thermostat won't connect to wifi. It's a common problem with them and Google won't correct the problem. I called them twice just for them to have me do the same troubleshooting that don't work. If you google the problem there's hundreds of people with the same issue.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Easy steps to set up. Easy app, efficient at pulling up info on demand. Fair price. Haven't had any issues that relate to Google. You can turn off their cameras at any time and have complete control of what's going on or if someone taps into camera to see it shows a notification.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

My Nest doorbell/ camera stopped connecting properly to my wifi. I contacted the support team we reinstall the device several times but the device continued to fail. Two representatives set up a case number up and I was told someone would send me a link to replace the device with in 24/48 hours. It has been 5 days and yet have I heard from or received an email to fill out the link to have the device replace. I am giving up and buying a Ring. I would suggest you purchasing a Ring versus the Nest and Nest has very poor customer service.

Google Home Company Information