1.71/5

88 Apex Digital Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 9, 2013

I called customer service phone number. I was treated rudely by people who I could not understand because of their accent. I asked for a supervisor, was put on hold and disconnected. I called back and was treated rudely by the supervisor. Nothing was fixed.

Original review: July 8, 2013

Purchased about a year ago or so and it STOPPED WORKING ALTOGETHER!!! Fed up with cheaply made thrown together plastic crap... We shouldn't have to keep paying for this kind of items that give out after a year!! Some depend on it for weather and warning, as well as other things.

Original review: July 3, 2013

Remote not working. I have read all the difficulties people are having and the same problem has now occurred on mine. I do not have the know-how to take the machine apart so I am without the option of fixing it. I too believe this box was thrown together to get in on the rebate from the government and thus, the shoddy workmanship. I would like Apex to stand by their equipment and reissue a real working converter. People here use their VS for weather alerts, school closings, etc. and to. Or have this available handicaps our communities.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2013

I am disgusted with the government about making us get converter boxes. What crap. They don't work. I don't understand why more people don't complain about being told they had to purchase these pieces of junk. Count me in if there is a lawsuit. Heck, I may start my own. Anyone wants to join in?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2012

Apex digital converter box DT250 is junk. I received the red light on my box and it will not turn on. This item has been junk since I bought it from TigerDirect. This converter box is junk! Customer Support is junk!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apex Digital?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2012

Defective Apex DT250 Converter Box - I have the same issue that is posted here and just about everywhere else on the internet. After exactly 25 minutes of TV viewing, the signal disappears and the screen goes blank; the green light stays on and the unit can only be turned off by unplugging it. If I unplug it for 10 minutes, I can start over and watch another 25 minutes. Repeat process. It's very discouraging. I don't have the income to cover cable or satellite TV - nor do I wish to pay top dollar to surf channels of commercials. I don't currently have extra money to replace this unit either. I'd like to see some kind of legal action on behalf all of us who've been forced to suffer because we either cannot afford - or do not want - expensive TV service or who have been duped by substandard products.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2012

I have purchased two Apex digital converter boxes and each one quit working suddenly after one year basically. I think Apex is ripping people off and it's not fair, since I can't afford cable. I give them a half of a star. Bad product, bad service, and bad company!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2012

I have had 2 Apex Digital converters model DP250 and both failed with the same problem after about 1.5 years old. The units suddenly powered off (red light on solid). They would not power back on (green light). I tried to unplug for about 1 hour then retried it with no success. The remote would not power it on either. Stay away from this brand as I am not the only one who has had the same problem. What a ripoff! Worst digital TV converter.

Original review: July 9, 2012

I am an unemployed single mom who saved pennies to surprise her kid for his birthday because we had a small old TV. In February 2012, I bought a 32-inch Apex LD3288T from Target for an awesome price. I called numerous times after purchase because the color looked weird and tech support kept telling me that it was because I did not have the TV hooked to an HD cable box. Exactly 90 days later, the picture went black and there was only sound and my return receipt expired by 4 days and Target refused to let me get another one.

I called T-Maxx Digital and they confirmed it was defective and sent me a pre-paid FedEx postage 4 days later. I packed it up in the original box and sent it to them right away. They kept my TV for a month. I called every other day after 2 weeks of waiting for a resolution. I was given the runaround. The reps could barely speak English and have a very strong Indian accent. Constantly, I was told, "We'll call you back. We are still waiting. There is no manager available to talk to.” After I threatened to call the director of sales, Eric **, who by the way I was unable to find or contact, I suddenly received the TV from FedEx.

T-Maxx sent me a new TV that is defective as well. After waiting a month, I get a new TV with a bleed picture. Everyone looks like they are wearing purple and blue and anything black is grey. There is no black color. There is no doubt this TV will die, too. I called tech support again and now they tell me to email a picture and it will take 5 business days to evaluate the image.

Is there is no way to get what I am seeing on camera? I called back and now I'm told that FedEx may have damaged the TV. Now, they want pictures of the box and that could take weeks to evaluate. Apex should be out of business. Their products are like copy cat products made from China at a dollar store. They are not worthy of their customers nor do they stand behind their word. Instead of the stress, anxiety, and anger this has caused to me and my family, I should have kept the old TV and continued to save for a Sony. This is a complete nightmare! I don't know where to turn or what to do. I was flimflammed out of the only money I probably will ever have had to spend on something I really wanted.

Original review: July 7, 2012

I bought the TV (Apex 32HDTV LD3288T) on 3/26/12. Picture went out on 6/26/12. I called as in instructions, returned the TV to its original box and taped up. I was told the shipping label would be emailed and FedEx would pick-up on 7/2/12. I called each day wondering where the email was. I got the email address corrected with them and verified each time I called. Still no email. I was told FedEx would pick-up on 7/2/12. I rearranged my schedule to be home that day. At 5 pm, I called as FedEx did not come. I then insisted that they email the label then. "No, it's scheduled for 7/3". With each call (and I have written down everything), I have not felt reassured. I demanded my money back. I understand it's been over 90 days and Target cannot take it back.

I am retired, but very active, on a limited budget and cannot consistently stay home to check emails or wait for FedEx to show up. I did not call them on 7/5 and 7/6 as I had to rest my back and was so upset by all of this. I want the entire $249.99 price of the TV although I paid the sale price of $199.99+ tax. It's not nearly enough of what it has cost me in time from family and unnecessary stress.

Original review: July 6, 2012

Red light stays on and unit won't turn on! I now have to buy a new digital converter box or take my chances on a used one. I am upset also that the remote also was wacky with some of the buttons responding differently. I would strongly suggest that you replace this for anyone that has had this problem!

Original review: May 11, 2012

I have had the Apex digital converter box for a few weeks over a year and it stopped working. Nice how it stops right after the one-year warranty is up. The red power light is on, but will not turn on (turn to green) and it is making a humming noise. I can not afford cable, so this is the only way I have to watch TV. So now I get to stare at a blank TV. I can not afford to buy another box either.

Original review: March 29, 2012

I had my converter box for a few months working fine. Then, I stopped using it for like 3 months. When I went to turn it on, it just comes on—no picture and it’s a black screen. I'm thinking it’s the TV, so I switched it and same thing. I’m very upset because I brought it from Best Buy and they said, “Oh, we don't carry that anymore. You have to call the company.” I found the number online to Apex Digital and they give me another number. No one answers and you can't leave a message.

Original review: March 29, 2012

Both Apex digital converter boxes quit within 6 months. From reading the other posts, it happened the same way. It worked fine and then all of a sudden there’s a black screen with green light. It won't even power off. This is exactly how the first one quit. I cancelled my cable too late to get the government rebates, so I paid completely out of pocket for these devices. I am currently trying to get a hold of the manufacturer for resolution. Many of the forums indicate this will not be successful as it will cost more for shipping and repairs than the original price of the boxes.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2012

Our Apex DT250 Digital TV converter box had completely stopped working. No power, no lights. It has not worked for quite some time now. We had purchased 4 boxes, 1 Apex, and 3 by 2 other manufactures. We had purchased them all within months of each other. The 3 DTV boxes made by the other manufacturers are still working great. Apex should reimburse or replace these poorly made boxes at no cost to the consumers. We paid cash for our boxes- and we demand that this company take some responsibility for its worthless product!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2012

I purchased an Apex converter box in February 2011. It has never worked right. The signals cut out, it freezes, the remote doesn't work property and it doesn't get all the channels it's supposed to get. Last night I was watching it and it just quit working. The green light is on, but there is no signal, no picture, and no audio. Just a dark black screen with "AV" in the corner. The unit will not turn off unless I disconnect it from the power source. Unplugging it and turning it back on does not work.

After reading all the complaints from others not only here but at other sites, I'm not even going to bother trying to get my money back or repair it. I think I'm just going to go through my computer for everything and to hell with the TV. I refuse to give the cable companies one dime of my money. It's just not worth it, unless I can find a decent box that's going to last more than a year.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2012

This unit does merit even one star since it is unacceptable merchandise. I purchased an Apex DT250 during the analog to digital conversion in late 2009 with the government coupon. I paid some and government paid $40. 3 months ago after purchasing the unit, it stopped working. The remote is not working at this writing, rare it may. Two months ago, however, the unit stopped sending video output after power on. Only after powering on and off many times is there any signal output, and it's either a green screen (which locks up the DT250 making it unresponsive to the remote's power off button) or incoherent video noise with no audio. Usually the unit is unresponsive to channel changing. Unplugging the unit at this stage and powering it up again sometimes gets it to output a video signal. Sometimes, I have to power it down and up several times, but no video output at all.

This product is **. Behavior under remote control (the only way to operate the unit) is often erratic with respect to content descriptions and programming. The unit runs very hot as well. This was the only brand available at Best Buy where I purchased it. There needs to be a class action suit against Apex and Best Buy should arrange repairs and/or replacements with a reliable converter box. The FCC needs to make aware that the digital conversion resulted in innocent consumers being forced to purchase inferior and defective units by Apex Digital in the absence of inexpensive alternative brands. It's clear the Apex DT250 is a piece of defective engineering and manufacture. Apex earned the profit but the consumer and the government got to pay. The government, Best Buy, and Apex Digital are all complicit in this outrageous and unsatisfactory outcome. We need compensation.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2012

Without warning, the red light on the Apex digital TV converter on button became permanently on. As it is an indication that the box is dead, I did anything I could to resuscitate it and it will not budge.It is permanently on red, meaning that it is dead. These companies have pocketed their profit, and I`m left to hold the bag. The government ought to have told them to be responsible for any box replacement, if any material is malfunctioning due to manufacturing defect as it does, owing to inferior quality material. It is another government policy gone wrong, leading to inefficiency, and ineffectiveness The TV was doing fine until this converting mess. Can Apex replace this box without charge?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2012

The Apex Digital Converter unit quit working. Red light comes on and the unit will not turn on. Even manually pressing the button will not turn it on and without the remote (which I have), it is impossible to use this unit as there are no controls except for the red button, not even a 'Reset' button. I am only one of hundreds or thousands who are complaining about these units. Mine is a DT250A and quit working 2 nights ago. This is another government incentive gone wrong.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2011

This unit does merit even one star, since it is unacceptable merchandise. I purchased an Apex DT250 during the analog to digital conversion in 2009.

A little over a year after purchasing the unit, the remote stopped working. There is no way to operate the unit without a remote as it has no on-board controls whatsoever. I was forced to buy a new remote, plus shipping costs, which exceeded the cost of the original unit with the government coupon. The remote is still working at this writing.

Two months ago, however, the unit stopped sending video output after power on. Only after powering on and off many times is there any signal output, and it's either a green screen (which locks up the DT250 making it unresponsive to the remote's power off button), or incoherent video noise with no audio. Usually the unit is unresponsive to channel changing. Unplugging the unit at this stage and powering it up again sometimes gets it to output a video signal. Sometimes, I have to power it down and up several times to get video output.

I simply don't know how to troubleshoot the unit any further. I am not getting a flashing red signal from the power indicator like others have reported. It simply won't output video after power on without going through the drill described above.

Behavior under remote control (the only way to operate the unit) is often erratic with respect to content descriptions and programming. The unit runs very hot as well. This was the only brand available at Best Buy where I purchased it. There needs to be a class action suit against Apex, and Best Buy should arrange repairs and/or replacements with a reliable converter box. The FCC needs to made aware that the digital conversion resulted in innocent consumers being forced to purchase inferior and defective units by Apex Digital in the absence of inexpensive alternative brands. It's clear the Apex DT250 is a piece of defective engineering and manufacture. That's the polite to describe it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2011

I purchased 3 Apex converter boxes. Due to the economy going down, I had to stop my cable services. I have not had these units for five months, and one by one, they all stopped working. They are not getting any power. They were of poor quality. At times, the unit did not provide certain channels. I give these units, no stars. The unit does not get a rate from me at all, because it was less then unsatisfactory.

I was without a TV for over a day. I had to go out and buy another batch of units for all three rooms. I spent time,money, and wasted gas to buy something I already bought.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2011

This is nothing but a gimmick to get people over to cable. This machine is a mess. It will break down, it dose not hold its reception and it is ugly! Cable should be something that you can get at your own pace, not forced. The lobbyist for the cable industry did a great job fooling the people. I'm sure plenty of folks got paid to put this system in place. We just loss more American freedoms. We used to be a land of the free. We need to change that phrase to Land of the Lost. Give me back my regular TV or refund us every time this silly digital thing breaks! Thanks for nothing!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2011

I bought two Apex DT250 converters on 9/15/2008. Although both units are still working, ever since I bought them, both would lose channel 6 frequently and randomly (displaying "No signal"). I do an auto-scan and channel 6 comes in, but if I turn the DT250 off and back on later, it usually loses channel 6. Sometimes, it loses it after changing to a different channel and back to 6. I will never buy another APEX product.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2011

In my case, Apex sold me dish networking saying they would stand behind DISH. Then when DISH started price gouging us, we went to Apex & KYDS Sales to try and rectify the case. I kept getting the run around, and Kyds Sales had rotating sales clerks. Upon DISH canceling our billing, Apex& KYDS Sales asked us for a $500 contract fee. Upon showing KYDS I had a bill of $25.00 plus tax change each month, KYDS said they would come and get satellite from the pole. Well, at the near end of two years and never coming in 2009, Kyds takes me to court for $500. I hired a man to take DISH down and took it to court.

In court, APEX states DISH is outdated equipment when in fact DISH had fired them and they couldn’t use it because of their shady dealings. The judge did not know this nor did I. A fee judgment of $500 plus attorney's fees was set against me for which I cannot afford to pay while trying to get disability on a bad back and knee from a car accident.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2011

I bought two Apex converter boxes. I used one and the other, I put away in the box (Never Opened). Within 8 months, the first box went out. I then took out the new (put up box) and it didn't last two months. Both boxes played fine the nights before. After the TV was shut off, it stopped working. I turned on the TV at 7 AM and it would not come on and we all know these boxes only work with the remote. The light just stayed red, no matter what, it never turn back on to green. It was just a waste of money and time.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2011

In July 2009, my estranged wife (now ex-wife) sought out and negotiated an alarm system in our former (then current) home. She did this alone and without my knowledge or consent. This was the same month we separated and I had moved out of the house. She stopped paying the monthly monitoring bill when she found out that I was likely going to be awarded the house during our divorce. Following my actual repossession of the house, I decided to cancel the service since I didn't want it or need it. I spoke with several CSM's at Apex and each refused to speak with me about the contract or account and even refused to give me the passcodes necessary to activate or deactivate the system.

Therefore, I am stuck with a system that dispatched the police to my home every time I opened or closed the door. I eventually disconnected the system from my phone line to prevent any further false alarms and responses. Since that time, Apex has turned me over for collections to many agencies. The latest being FBCS or the Federal Bond and Collection Service. My credit is ruined, many false additions have been made to my credit record and I am constantly hounded by Apex and its representatives. Apex goes by several names such as APX or Vinnt (name changed probably to avoid all the bad press and complaints). When considering alarm services, please do not do business with these folks as they are less than professional and highly unethical.

Original review: June 1, 2011

I am having the same problem with the DT250 Digital Converter Box. There's a low-level hum while it's plugged in but not powered up, and then six weeks ago, it just wouldn't turn back on. I've tried unplugging and replugging, but the box absolutely will not power up. I find it very suspicious that it lasted pretty much exactly a year from when I first plugged it in and then died.

Original review: May 2, 2011

I bought the Apex DT250 at Best Buy when the conversion was happening and now it does not power up. From day one, it has very bad tuning and the connector for the cable wire has been loose and looks like it will fall off.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2011

I purchased an Apex digital converter box around the time of the conversion of analog TV signals to digital. I have had poor reception although signal transmissions are close, and I’m using different antennas including an amplified antenna. Recently the converter began to squeal loudly and the television screen went blank with alternating horizontal lines. The TV is fine however; the converter box will not even power up and emits a low pitch sound when plugged into an outlet.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2010

Digital TV Converter Box - DT250 broke after less than six months use. Company will not repair or replace.

Apex Digital Company Information