3.34/5

1011 Planet Fitness Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 24, 2019

I was assuming that that the 'start up fee' and 'annual membership fee' were the same thing. So I just joined thinking the $50.09 Start Up Fee I was charged was also covering the first year's Annual Fee. That was a totally wrong! I'm now seeing I'll be billed the $39 Annual Fee in about a month. So total cost for one year is $50 + 39 + (12 * 10) = $209. That is more like $17 a month. Rotten trick they played on me. I was misled about how these fees work. If this was an more honorable and upfront organization then I would have seen it spelled out in big bold font that the cost for the first year would be $209. Sigh... I was tricked. The membership contract is in EXTREMELY small print. You need a magnifying glass to read it! Very few people will have the patience or willingness to read through it. I think it’s designed to prevent you from fully realizing what you’ve signed up for.

Here is the cancellation policy: "To cancel your monthly membership and stop the billing of the Monthly Membership Fee on or around the 17th of the month, the club must receive written notification delivered to the club by the 10th of the month either in person or preferably via certified mail to the club address listed above. Please note it may take up to seven (7) business days for any membership or billing changes to take effect. In order to cancel your membership prior to the billing of the Annual Membership Fee, the club requires written notice delivered as described above no later than the 25th of the month before such billing. The Annual Membership Fee is fully earned when received and is non-refundable".

I'm still trying to figure out precisely what window of time I have to deliver this cancellation notification (should I want to cancel). I think it’s designed to be complicated and confounding to discourage and prevent cancellations. Another item from the contract: "In accordance with applicable law, if our first attempt to collect any fee under this Agreement is unsuccessful, we may make additional attempts to collect from any/all payment methods you provide us, and a $15 service fee will be applied for each instance we submit or re-submit such payment request and it is returned uncollectable for any reason including, but not limited to, insufficient funds, expired or cancelled payment cards, overdrafts and closed accounts. We are not liable for any fees charged by your financial institution in the event a payment request is returned as uncollectable."

I think this means if your bank account is overdrawn then PF can recklessly continue to collect over and over again, as many as many times as possible, increasing your balance due by another $15 dollars each time. PF does NOT allow you to pay for a year in advance. I'll bet the reason is to give PF the opportunity to hit you up with these late penalties. I'll bet a significant portion of their revenue is from this late fee collection scheme. I've been a member of other health clubs over the years and have never seen this type of policy before.

Bottom line is I’m not giving this organization any benefit of the doubt when it comes to trying to get my money. I’ve taken some precautions such as paying with a bank account I set up just for these membership fees (Simple bank) and paying with a ‘Virtual’ credit card account. I set these accounts up as insurance to prevent PF from continuing to take money from me if I ever cancel. I will have to be vigilant to watch the activity of these accounts to make sure they used to pay for what I agreed to pay for. I will also have to make sure they are never overdrawn or I’ll get hit with the sneaky late fees.

Original review: May 24, 2019

The Planet Fitness in Corsicana Texas needs to get with the program. They need a computer system to let you check in to do the massage beds and chairs. All they have are clipboards with sign in papers. Well myself and a friend signed up to both do the massage beds. We both wrote down a time 6:45 pm. Well we were sitting on the couch waiting and never had our turn. So I asked about the purpose of selecting a time and they really couldn’t answer me with a real answer. Then come to find out a guy who didn’t even have a black card membership was the one who took up one of the beds. Then when I did get to go I didn’t even get my full ten min in the bed. I think they did it on purpose because I was mad and pitching a fit.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I got charged on my mothers card and I never gave it. I had my IBC account and I've been calling for my refund cuz that was bill money and they told me to call back within the hr and I did but to my surprise ** told me her manager just walked out. I cant stand being lied to. Never go to the one in 400 W Calton Rd, Laredo TX 78041. I cancelled my membership and was told I was good to go and they kept charging me to the point my IBC account was at a negative -198.99!!!! If they dont get me my money I just plan to sue them!!!! Not worth the time.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I came back in Feb/19 to update my card information and they did the process and they said everything was fine. And then from APRIL and May they been charging me late fees for the location staff fault. I never received a apology from them nor, "I understand. Let see what I can do." Worst customer service ever.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Been a PAYING member for 2-1/2 years and beyond frustrated. The “teens for free” is a good idea, but the implementation is all wrong. It should be during specific hours because let me tell you, most of them are VERY inconsiderate and stay 3 teens to a machine - talking, texting and not even working out. Not fair what-so-ever to long term paying members who care and want to workout. Canceling membership ASAP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: May 18, 2019

I’ve been going to the Peekskill gym for 15 years. The air conditioning is never working. I complained in the survey. They canceled my membership. I am devastated. I can’t over constructive criticism??

Original review: May 15, 2019

Updated on 05/15/2019: I wrote a review earlier today about having problems with the Conway, AR Planet Fitness not canceling my membership after I have repeatedly requested it to be cancelled both via phone and in person. I called the corporate headquarters in Hampton, NH and they gave me the run around. Said that each Planet Fitness is independently owned and they could not help me, that I would have to deal with Conway Planet Fitness and that they are not responsible for their (Conway) policies or their staff or management’s actions.

Original Review: I have been trying to cancel my account for 4 months and they keep billing me. This morning they told me that even though I called to say I was cancelling and then dropped by and told them, that I failed to sign a cancellation form. Well guess what? They didn’t give me a cancellation form to sign. I haven’t been to the gym in several months because my father became ill and then passed away. I am so sick of having to deal with the ignorant staff that work at the front desk. It is their fault my account wasn’t cancelled back in February. And now they are billing me another month!!! Because I didn’t cancel by the 10th... in person and didn’t sign a cancellation form. They did not give me one to sign and I am the one who is being penalized for it.

This is 4 months I have been trying to cancel and I did go in and cancel in person. This morning they said that I didn’t turn in my card and that was why they hadn’t canceled my account. No one asked me for the card. One excuse after another why they keep taking money out of my checking account. I talked to my bank this morning and the person I talked to informed me that that is why they don’t accept debit or credit cards and only accept checking account information, because they can get by with continually taking money out of your account. Sneaky SOBs.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I just Left this place and they tried to tell me that I needed two forms of payment. I have never heard of anything like this in my life, I am so glad that I came to this place to read the reviews and then they proceeded to tell me that if I didn’t have two forms of payment for my first down payment that I could not join the gym. Now I see why by reading these reviews. I am so glad that I did not join this gym. They are a rip off. These people are really trying to ruin people’s life.

The guy told me that I could cancel at any time but I really didn’t believe him. I know that if I try to cancel now by reading these reviews that I couldn’t and if I did give him two forms of payment that if I tried to cancel it and take them off of my bank account they would only charge off the other bank account. Thank you guys for your reviews. I’m so glad that I made the decision to walk out and the lady upfront was really rude telling me that I had to use two forms of payment or that I could not join her gym. Well guess what I’m glad that I didn’t join your gym and I hope other people realize and see that you guys are scams.

Original review: May 13, 2019

They are total harrassing and throwing a 65 year old out before she's done showering cuz my daughter left to go to the store but she was having car trouble and couldn't come back cuz their policy is which stinks that her guest which I am her mother. She my daughter has to be there while I'm showering that is so ridiculous... I'm putting their name out to every newspaper out there. No one will go to them...only Lakeworth and Forest Hill gym harrassed a 65 year old...that's disgusting. I couldnt finish showering or they would call police on me.. I'm reporting them all the way... Rude gym both...

Original review: May 9, 2019

I joined Planet Fitness in October 2018. I frequent the one in Columbus, GA on Manchester Expressway. They have plenty of machines so wait times are minimal to nonexistent. My only complaint is the music. They tend to play rap and hip hop music with lyrics that are demeaning to women or just offensive. It seems like they would play music more pleasing to their customers many of which seem to over 45-50 years old. I have spoken to several members close to my age and they dislike the music as well. I have also mentioned this to the employees. I believe the employees there play what they like rather than focusing on their customers and what they would like to hear.

Original review: May 7, 2019

This horrific incident occurred Friday, April 12th, 2019 at the 25 Broadway (Wall St) location approximately 2:05 pm. After my workout, I came to the locker room to shower before I returned to work. Once I placed my soiled clothes in my bag I closed my locker and immediately realized that I forgot my key on the top shelf. There was a young woman who was leaving the locker room who I stopped and asked to have someone come downstairs to cut my lock. I took a quick shower and waited near my locker for assistance. The young lady returned, said she explained to the man (**) at the front desk that I needed help and didn't have clothes on. He told her that I needed to complete the paperwork upstairs and the front desk and get the clippers (plain site of people on the street and those checking in).

I walked passed the weight area to hear laughing and seeing people gesturing to each other to look at me. I then had to walk past the cardio area, then upstairs to the front desk. I ask for the clippers and was told he couldn't give them to me, that I had to complete paperwork and wait for another employee to return from lunch so that he could clip the lock. I ask, "Then I am I up here?" He responded that was procedure. It was humiliating to be seen by so many people wearing only a towel and flip flops. I've never experienced this anywhere. I had this same scenario about 6 years ago at the Jamaica (Metropolitan) location and someone came to me while I remained in the bathroom, hidden from the public.

Despite having my severe insecurities about my body I mustered every ounce of dignity that I had to expose myself. As I type this to you in in tears. This should not have taken place. I have yet to hear from there management office. Someone from their social media account reached out to me only because I placed the incident on a Google review. I gave the person (Paul) all of my information he claims someone called me and send an email... Yet I received nothing. I confirmed my contact information again and still no response.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I went to the Planet Fitness at 255 Muddy Branch Road on Tuesday 5/7 at 5 PM. I started my nornal routine on the treadmill, and then noticed it was much hotter than usual and that I started to perspire much more than usual. I asked the person next to me if he thought it was hotter than usual and he said Yes. I then proceeded to complain to the manager **. ** smugly brushed my complaint off saying it was 68F. I proceeded to jog a few minutes more but could not stand the heat and lack of adequate circulation. I asked another person if he felt it was hot and he too said Yes. I then reapproached ** the manager and asked if I could see the thermostats, and he smugly said that I could not because it was in an employee room.

I then called customer service at 844.880.7180 and waited on hold for 20 minutes and then spoke to Jeremy. I told Jeremy my problem, and he refused to help. I asked to speak with his manager and he said there is no one else present to speak to. I called 844.880.7180 again and again had to wait on hold for 20 minutes only to get Jeremy again. I asked if there was anyone else I could speak to and he said No, and consequently felt bullied by the process.

I felt that the temperature in the exercise room was 73-74F, but no one from the bottom to the top would help. Plus I am 55 years old and obese, and do not think it is good for my health and safety to be exercising in these conditions where it is hot and there is essentially no circulation. I also wanted to say that I experienced similar issues at their Rockville location on East Jefferson in February where it was so hot and stuffy that lots of condensation was forming on the inside of their windows, and at the Mt Vernon outlet on Richmond highway (Sacramento Dr) last year where their air conditioner was broken for some time. This problem of providing an uncomfortable and hazardous conditions to exercise seems to be systemic.

I do not know if the air conditioner was broken, the thermostat was broken, the thermostat was measuring a location different from the exercise room or whether there is some great incentive for them to lie to save a nickel on their electric bill, but my hope is that someone has a medical problem there and then sues them big time. I think only then will Planet Fitness learn to consider and respect their customers.

Original review: May 7, 2019

BEWARE! If you are thinking this is an affordable way to get fit you would be 100% wrong. Planet Fitness is a SCAM! Not only did they sucker me into a 12 month membership and then when I tried to cancel they tried to say I could NOT DO SO without paying 13 months and another annual fee, but the gym facilities are DISGUSTING. They do not have adequate cleaning supplies and the entire place reeks of month-old sweat.

Original review: April 30, 2019

This is the worst gym ever! NO STARS BUT I HAD TO LEAVE 1. I told the lady at reception to cancel my membership because it reached a year. She told me 'it will not be a problem...' and scribbled my details on a paper A4. I finished my work out and left. I'm a student and the harsh reality is 4 months later Attorneys send me an SMS that I owed interest and fees! I don't work since my studies are full time and I called them back and they actually noted my call on their system. So why now in April I get another SMS!! Idiots! According to law, I am not responsible for all this money and they will not see a cent from me! No permission = no money! I wonder if the CEO in the USA knows what the people in SA are doing to harm his business!! Centurion Gate Business Park, The Gate Shopping Centre, Cnr Akkerboom and John Vorster Dr, Centurion, 7440.

Original review: April 26, 2019

When I joined, was told it was a “low-income medical office.” Continually hit-up for money and harassed. The staff is uninformed on anything other than checking a person in. Impossible to get out of the month-to-month membership. I paid an “early termination” fee and I am still being charged a monthly membership fee even after all of their requirements to cancel were met. Awful experience.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Joined the Harlem location in February 22. It hadn't been 2 months and they took money out of my account literally 9 times. Every other week I was being charged different amounts 38$, 55$ 37$. Yet my monthly bill was paid AND the yearly fee!!! So WHY was I being charged every other week. I went to my bank. Filled out a form for fraudulent activities which the bank person did agree was suspicious activity! I had to put a stop from them going into my account. Then trying to speak to a manager in person was impossible!!! It's so sad because I enjoyed going. But not at the cost of literally being ROBBED of EVERY DIME I HAD!!!! I'm going to cancel my membership and pray they actually cancel it. How the hell are these people getting away with this????

Original review: April 24, 2019

Started 3/2014 - stopped 4/2015. They took another 56 months of money plus yearly fees. Over $8000 dollars. When I stopped it in 2015 they wrote down my information and said it was taken care of. They dropped the ball and now say it's my fault and my problem. I gave them two out. 1. Refund the difference in money. 2. Comp me and my wife for the time. We could have used if we knew we had a membership. They said no to both. Great customer service (NOT). So now I'm contacting A.G. Washington state, BBS and anyone who will listen.

Original review: April 22, 2019

A day ago. I didn't even want to give this 1 star as it deserves 00000000000000000000000000000000000000. Today myself and my fiancé were working out in front of the curling bar rack... I was using the 20 lbs for bicep curls and he the 55lbs. We would place them back then the other would start again and a woman walked in front of us and took the 55 lbs and went to her area and set it down... She then walked over to the front desk to ** with Loren the employee.

So my fiancé approached her and said, "Hey I'm using that." I went up to her and she put her hand in my face saying stop so I wouldn't converse with Loren. My fiancé tossed the weight back to her in her area and of course they said it was dangerous. This animal said my fiancé racked it back so she could take it (meaning her right). Holy ** she obviously has no class and clearly was watching us work out. This tool Matt the manager later sent my fiancé an email canceling his membership! Talk about classless... not even a phone call. I called to explain this and ask if we could go to Rocky Hill and Matt said "no" but you can go! Lol like I'm gonna workout without my fiancé! This faculty is A JUDGEMENT ZONE FOR SURE!!! Pathetic, pitiful reason to cancel a member who was working out and was interrupted by a classless woman... um animal.

"We appreciate you following up, Diane, your husband's membership was cancelled in order to mitigate any behavior that could lead up to confrontation in our clubs. However, we can appreciate that there were events that led up to this involving multiple parties, and we will certainly be looking into doing what we can to make sure people that provoke antagonizing situations are dealt with accordingly. Thank you for your time, and have a good one! Paul" Paul is the other tool that has no professionalism to handle the public. If it’s a no judgmental zone they certainly judged my fiancé based on us very calmly taking the weight back.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I canceled my membership in April 2018 at the site. I spoke to the front desk person and gave back my access token. However, Planet Fitness has continued to bill me every month even when I have called to say I had canceled my membership. I called again today and spoke with a manager who basically said, "Well, we don't have any paperwork that says you canceled," even though on the paperwork it gives the last date I was in the facility. So basically they have ripped me off for over $200 and I have no recourse and obviously doesn't matter to them. Be very wary about their processes and make sure they give you something in writing or in an email right then and there and not rely on "an email will be forwarded to you." Poor business practices.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was hurt at the Planet Fitness in Garden City Michigan. All I wanted was for them to remedy the unsafe condition, which they did, and pay for my co-pay because I went to get checked out of the hospital. Since then I’ve had nothing but “the runaround” from them. I sent a copy of my bill & proof of payment and offered to send discharge papers but I refuse to sign the extensive medical release that they are requiring for things that have nothing to do with this current injury. So, I am out the co-pay and they get to continue their shady business practices.

Original review: April 11, 2019

SENT TO COLLECTIONS FOR A COMPUTER GLITCH ON PAID ACCOUNT!!! Denied entry from a computer glitch! Member 5 years. Poor customer service. "8 people around checking in" and this red-headed employee said "your account is in collections (out loud)" which makes anyone look like a deadbeat. The manager acknowledged it was a glitch as there were two accounts for which there was no reason and they were paid up and could not explain the error.

No apology for the other staff telling me I could not enter. Beth, the manager, said "It shows two accounts and I don't know why it shows two for the same person... and I don't have access to change it, sorry." She did not offer to call her manager, simply said "we're supposed to deny entry if there is an account problem which in this case is apparently a glitch." No apology, just "sorry you cannot enter" by a red-headed staff member on 04/09/19 around 12 pm.

None of the staff were educated on customer service to simply "try" to call a manager. It's really training based. The facility is fine, just the front staff do not seem to have training beyond scanning your card. I got a blocked from my own gym and I'm paid up direct draft for years and embarrassed in front of several others implying I was delinquent. They could not explain. BUT they also said "we can't do nothin', we're not authorized"... They could have said they'd contact corporate or something. Really stunned at the lack of enthusiasm to solve the issue. I will be cancelling my membership.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I signed up for a $10/month membership at Planet Fitness in Loves Park, IL in February 2019. I grilled the employee who helped me to ensure that there were no hidden fees. I read every single word of the contract on the screen. It included the phrase “if your membership has an annual fee.” It did not state that there is an annual fee. It did not state that $39 will be charged to my account every year. The employee swore that I would not be charged any fees beyond the $1 down plus $10/month. He also insisted that he had no way to print a copy of the contract.

Last week I had a $39 charge from Planet Fitness on my account. I immediately called the local PF gym. A manager told me it was an annual fee. She had no explanation for why it was not in the contract I signed. She blamed “Jordan, who is no longer employed here” for telling me that there would be no annual fee. I gave up after she blamed an employee who was likely hired and trained by her! I contacted the company directly to explain the problem and ask for a copy of my contract.

It took almost a week before someone at corporate got Brianna (the local manager) to send me the contract! I was shocked to open the document and find my digital signature on a document very much unlike what I had been presented to read and sign on screen at PF. This version clearly states that $39 will be charged every year in April! Had the company been honest, I probably would have signed up anyway. Bait-and-switch is not an acceptable way to do business. Had I been a young, part-time/low-wage worker like those in PF’s target demographic, the unexpected charge could easily have overdrawn my account. Do not trust Planet Fitness.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This place will not cancel my membership that is not even on my name! They charge me every month! Someone else is using my card without my authorization and Planet Fitness refuses to cancel the membership! Think twice before become a member of this disgusting place with disgusting customer service!

Original review: March 23, 2019

Deplorable Customer Service, incompetent management Speaking about TJ the manager with the green hair. She is really RUDE, CRUDE and INCOMPETENT. Several members don't like her and she has only been there a few months. She has no customer service skills. I was scammed on my account. The DM, Rebecca ** also lacks customer service skills as well as the owner @ Marathon and I believe his name is Mr. **.

On 3/19/19 I had asked TJ, the RUDE GM lacking knowledge for tanning bed 1 or 3 and she stated, "You will get bed. 2." And I told her she is really RUDE, CRUDE and INCOMPETENT. I got home and she cancelled my membership for being rude as they already don't have enough members. Corporate office also could care less because the gyms are all franchised. The Attorney General in Ohio will tell the proper contacts as I did file a complaint concerning Planet Fitness of Copley as they practice unethical business practices. Why would I care about Planet Fitness cancelling me as I am at a great gym for $20 a month and they offer much more and Yoga Balls too. IF YOU DONT TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMER, SOMEONE ELSE WILL! I DO NOT RECOMMEND PLANET FITNESS. They treat their members like CRAP.

Original review: March 22, 2019

After moving out-of-state, I wanted to cancel my PF membership. I call the location to find out they refuse to cancel over the phone, it must be in writing, so I sent the cancellation letter in the mail. I then called my bank and put a stop payment on the $10 Planet Fitness charge just in case they did not honor my request. Sure enough, they attempted to charge my account the next month, but the charge was sent back. Success, or so I thought..

Two months later, I notice a $20 charge from Planet Fitness on a different account, then looking through my past transactions, I noticed another $20 charge from the previous month! I reported the unauthorized charges to my card issuer, and had to cancel the related card. Everything is fine when you're paying your monthly dues and not rocking the boat, but as soon as you want to cancel your membership, they will do everything in their power, no matter how unethical, to continue charging their monthly fee. Or in my case, they will not only continue to charge you, but charge you MORE once you try to leave.

Original review: March 18, 2019

This club is all about the money and fees and not about customer service. Beware of any fitness club that will only debit your checking account. (They do this because it is much harder to get $ back and it is a direct line to your funds once you approve it.) Credit card companies help you when you need to challenge a charge on your account. My personal experience comes from trying to cancel my membership online or over the phone and I could not. You have to go in to do it. I was out of town and went in as soon as I got back and learned that my account had been tapped for a $39 annual fee.

This fee is not one they say anything about in the new club sales pitch. They do tell you about the $1 sign up to fee to get you to join and the "only $10" a month. I had not been using the facility for months and when I talked both to corporate and the local club, neither would return my fee. Oh by the way, the yearly charge comes with no pre email or notice alerting you to the fact that the fee is coming out. The company is not concerned with a customer leaving happy/satisfied and maybe returning at some point. The bottom line, there must be some other options out there.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Be honest. I like Planet Fitness. When I had sign up I thought I was going to pay $10.00 every month, But when they had told me that I have to pay the annual year 0f $39.00. I have to cancel my membership. The worker that had sign me up he had not told me of that part.

Original review: March 15, 2019

This company preys on people with a contract that appears to be for one year but automatically bills after the year is up. They don't allow cancellations over the phone and keep billing unless the member appears in person. There are clubs with fair pricing and ethical behavior out there... This is not one of them!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I decided to go to a new location to work out and after 5 weeks of going to a new location I was told by the front desk that I only pay for a single location, I then show him how I have been charged $25.70 since I started coming here and that I only have 30 min. to work out. At that point the manager Katherine told me I couldn’t work out that I needed to go with her to check my account. I asked her if I could please work out and then I would review my account t with her. She said, "No!" I think the fact that I am a customer whether from that location or not I was not treated nice at all. They do not know what they’re doing cause after 4 weeks of going to this new location they tell me I couldn’t go. She’s not a good manager and someone needs to give her a class on how to treat customers.

Original review: March 8, 2019

This place is a RIP off! Offers sound good, however, they tie you to their ridiculous automatic billing, so they can take funds out of your account continuously, even when you try to cancel the membership. This place gives gyms a bad name! They continue to charge accounts for payment, even after you've asked to cancel the membership. Better off getting a YMCA membership, with a forthcoming company who does not play games with the consumer's money. SHAME ON PLANET FITNESS!! FRAUDS...

Planet Fitness Company Information