Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

Planet Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

PF Fraudulently saved a credit card information when purchasing a beverage years ago, and saved in their database without my consent nor knowledge. As you know, PF only accepts routing number/account number for membership fees on Autopay. Cancelled membership July 30, 2020. Returned August 16 to verify this was done. Requested deletion of all personal and financial information from PF database. Assured this was done by Alan. Initially froze, but immediately returned to desk to do a FULL cancel/delete all data. Membership was fraudulently renewed without my knowledge and used a credit card they saved in their database without my consent nor knowledge.

After cancelling July 30, 2020 PF renewed my membership using the original agreement and altering the information saying it was a requested renewal. This is fraud. This was in November 11, 2020, and charged as if a NEW member the $39.99 fee plus monthly fee, total of $52.22. Then, again charged my CREDIT CARD, for the next 3 months before I noticed the fraudulent use of my credit card I had no idea PF had stolen the information and saved it permanently in their database. They do NOT accept CREDIT CARDs as payment for fees, and PF retrieved an old beverage purchase to do this.

Contacted CC company and uploaded all documentation and all fees charged were reversed to my account; and, was told that they have been having difficulty nationwide with such PF activity. My advice is, DO NOT allow them to have your routing number nor use a credit card to purchase anything at PF, as they will save all this information in their database; and, anyone working there can fraudulently use the information as they please.

Stephen

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

The staff is unprofessional and the manager, Mr. John ** is rude and nasty. I cancelled my membership in May 2020, but he continued to take money from my account without my knowledge. When I found out about it, I called Mr. ** several times and left at least a dozen messages, but he never returned my calls. Corporate is absolutely no help when I called to complain and kept sending me back to the same manager who would not answer the phone calls. They are thieves and crooks. This is the worst place ever!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

DALTON **, in my opinion is the worst manager you could have. He keep me on hold for 20mins or more and was very rude when he did answer the phone. I will never recommend Planet Fitness to anyone with management this poor.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I was involved in a car accident causing me to be permanently disabled. I called Planet Fitness early 2020 requesting cancellation, only to be told that I had to come in person to cancel. I explained to the lady that I was disabled and can't walk to come in person. I ask to have the manager call me to discuss, never received a call back from the manager or anyone else from that facility. I made several calls throughout 2020 requesting the same, with no luck. At times staff was very nasty over the phone.

Being disabled, causes you to lose your job and limits your income to social security income which would barely make end meets, yet Planet Fitness would continuously collect $23.53 every month throughout 2020. Yesterday Jan 18th 2020, I was finally able to get to their location so I can cancel my account, met with the manager who seemed to be young and inexperienced due to her behavior while waiting on me. She would look around her while I was trying to explain to her what has taken place, kept on repeating my self so she can understand me. My wife that was present was appalled by this manager's behavior. Manager insisted on no refunds in spite of the fact I have phone records showing the amount of times I called attempting to cancel my membership due to my disability. Then I requested to cancel my membership.

Membership was canceled and I received a confirming email on Jan 18, 2021. Jan 19, 2021, I received a text from my bank showing Planet Fitness charged me yet for another month of $23.53. I called and asked for the manager, after several refusal by her staff member to connect me with a manager, someone took the phone and answered in a nasty voice "this is the manager, what can I do for you", I asked her what was her name, she replied "Shauna", then I asked her why is she so angry and having a nasty attitude. She put the phone down then another lady picked up the phone and asked once again, “what can I do for you?” I explained to her what happened with the billing issue in spite of the fact I came in and canceled my account yesterday Jan 18. She replied stating my billing cycle was on the 17th, and I canceled on the 18th, therefore I will be charged for the services.

I asked her do they bill in advance or for previous month. She said for the previous month. I mentioned to her that she was wrong, when I joint during 2017, they billed me for the month in advance, so that clearly shows that you bill in advance. She replied because you were prorated for the days of the month. First she claimed customer are billed for previous months, then they are prorated for the days of the month when joining. It is obvious this young woman lacked knowledge in many areas, Lacking experience in performing her duties, not knowing how their billing system works, and certainly lacking basic human relation principal’s process. Her tone of voice alone explains it all.

This outfit will do whatever they can to charge their customers for service that is no longer wanted or needed by customers. Thieves is the word that would come into my mind. I will not stop until I get refund and an apology from this nasty witch that treats a disabled person the way she did. Additional complaints will be files with the state department, consumer’s affairs, and Attorney general's office among other agencies.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

I would like to be reimbursed the $68.06 in fees I was charged. I was not made aware that the gym was reopening. My local Planet Fitness in Morris Plains, NJ claims I was sent an email notification but I cannot locate it (I checked junk mail as well. The last communication I received was on 4/13/20 entitled "A message from Fitness Planet CEO Chris Rondeau" and it had nothing to do with reopening.) I would have cancelled my membership if I had known because I cannot take a risk with COVID as my son and I live with my parents who are senior citizens who have pre-existing conditions.

My local gym could not provide evidence that I had been notified about the gym’s reopening. The gym manager Chris replied, "There is no proof that we can provide showing we sent you an email. The email that came from corporate used the same email we have on file, so you should have gotten the email." I requested the contact info from Chris for corporate several times over email but I was ignored. When I called to request it, I was told by the Assistant Manager that “we can’t give out that information.”

So my next attempt was to go into the gym in person. I spoke to Chris and asked who makes these decisions and he told me the Regional Manager. I asked to speak to him and again, I was told I cannot have his contact info. It has been weeks and I have followed up several times but the Regional Manager has not called me back.

Lastly, the Morris Plains location told me I could contact corporate through the planet fitness website and when I did that I received an email saying I “If you have questions about billing or a charge on your account, and are looking for a refund, please contact the staff or management at your home club location.” Same is true of the Facebook page. But the Morris Plains location has ignored me, refused to call me back and refused to share information.

I feel this is the wrong way to treat people and that Planet Fitness is not doing the right thing during COVID. Just starting to charge me without giving me a chance to make a decision about my membership during a time when people are dying due to a pandemic that easily spreads person to person in a place where people share equipment is just wrong. (They will reply probably reply with their standard response about how they’re handling covid instead of answering my specific refund request). This New Year’s Eve, I watched the Times Square Ball Drop and saw Planet Fitness was the main sponsor which is an investment of millions of dollars. I just want my $68 back that is rightfully mine.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I noticed a half a month charge on my bank statement. Before I could make it to the location there was another $39 annual fee. I canceled on Saturday. Have paperwork by Monday. I get charged again. The manager had the nerve to tell me she will give me a month free...the month they just charged me for. I had no notification that they had reopened, they claimed to have sent out emails...my first email for the year was a copy of my cancellation form. Can’t wait for a Class Action Lawsuit.

Resolution response: Dec. 19, 2020

Resolved by manager.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

Planet Fitness closed my gym yesterday for a month but they still charged me membership dues on the same day it was closed. Knowingly charging someone for service they cannot access is fraud. Planet Fitness did not provide a notification that the facility would be closed, so I found out by going to the gym in 13 degree weather to see a note on the door.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I joined the Pinole California facility in March 2019. I signed up for the higher-priced membership with a no annual fee set up. In less than 30 days I realized I was never going to utilize all the other equipment that I was paying for so I asked to switch it to the lower cost subscription. I was told that would be canceling and I’d be charged $58. I said I am not canceling. I am just changing which program I want. They said there was nothing I could do about it. I would have to wait till my membership was up and sign up again.

So in February I called to ask when was the end of my subscription and they said April. Since I didn’t have the contract in front of me, I could not dispute that date. In March they were closed down. I tried to call and there was not even a voicemail to leave a message on. I then went to the Internet and did a search on Planet Fitness and found all these negative customer complaints about trying to cancel. So I noticed corporate replied to several of them and told them to contact them up the following email address which I used to tell them that I tried to reach Pinole by phone and by email and they said there was nothing they could do. They recommended sending a certified letter to cancel because you could not or they would not accept a fax or an email. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of! During a pandemic I had to go to the post office and stand in line to get a certified receipt done and had to pay almost 8 dollars for it.

For all of you folks that think you didn’t have any leverage, you just call your bank and dispute the charges and tell them that you canceled and they are continuing to charge your bank account. If they’re not helpful, Chase bank is very helpful in this aspect. Then close your checking account and open up a new one and then there’s nothing they can do about it.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I had a medical issue in 2016 so I couldn't come use my membership. I remember them trying to take the payment. That's when I called and the person I spoke with said that they can cancel my until I was back on my feet. Apparently that never happened! Now they are telling me they had to cancel my new membership because I owe 500 dollars?! I'm not paying that because they told me they don't see it in the system.

I remember laying in the hospital bed calling them to completely end the membership because I wasn't working nor had money. I'm very upset because I like Planet Fitness but 500 dollars is a bogus and ridiculous price to tell me to pay before I come back when I know I called and canceled. Then it's no number to call to get an understanding. I'm confused on how 500 dollars came about. Sorry to say but they just lost two more customers this, and I will be telling others as well. This is not good. The only way people can sign up with planet fitness is by giving them access to our bank accounts. I will not return.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Had my membership on hold when the Cartersville location charged me for membership causing a NSF charge. No one contacted me about the membership being activated. This is the second time that this has happened. I tried calling corporate and they said call local who said nothing can be done. No customer service. Be aware that they will give you a runaround and nothing will be done.

Planet Fitness Company Information