3.8/5 (759 ratings)

About Planet Fitness

Planet Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: April 3, 2018

I joined this gym July 2017. I was in an accident Nov. 2017 with I sustained a brain injury. I informed the corporate office in writing, and figured that was the end of it. They never responded back at all. Then all the sudden in January 2018 they withdrew payment from my account, missed Feb., then withdrew Mar. 2018. I called them and was told to call my gym location. PF at Golden Gate mgr. said "Oh you are not at this gym, you are at Market St." I have never stepped foot there. I told him the whole scenario and he said "GO TO YOUR GYM WITH A LETTER TO CANCEL." Mgr said I would still be charged til August, or pay termination fee. I then saw the writing on the wall. I notified my bank and blocked Planet Fitness.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Planet Fitness is a complete ripoff. Don't join this Gym at all unless you wanna get ripped off. They have so many ways to rip you off. The main one is you have to come in to cancel your membership. I was an OTR trucker and couldn't cancel it online. That's **. They do that for a reason so they can keep charging your account. My brother signed up in NJ. He moved to PA. They told him he had to drive all the way back just to cancel so he just blocked off his credit card anyway. So of course they sent him emails saying to update his payment. They couldn't charge him anymore??? You can't do it online so they can keep charging your account. They refuse to get an online account so you could cancel online.

I signed up in February. Already paid the $40. They charged me again in May another $40. I only had a couple days in that place because I'm a busy ** trucker. Planet Fitness is a 100% ripoff. They will steal your money the minute you sign up. Either go to a different gym or build your own. They are just ** Devils all about stealing people's money. That's why they have you sign a contract. Why sign a contract for your ** Gym **. I ain't signing a contract. I'll pay as I go. That's how it should be guys. ** their ** ripoff contract.

Original review: March 31, 2018

If I could give them no stars I would. The front desk girl was all bubbly until I said I would like to cancel my membership. Then it was a rude, why? I just want to cancel it please. She insists she needs to know. I am told my yearly $39 fee is coming up in April, I’m canceling in MARCH...so? They are still charging me the 2018-2019 yearly fee. I “have to sign and agree to the fee or she won’t cancel my membership”. But I don’t agree with the fee, so I’m not going to sign a legal document that says I agree with the fee. I’m told I can just talk to her manager on Monday, and by the way she’s going to say the same thing.

(Insert attitude and eye rolls from customer service) I say, "I’m not waiting until April 2 to cancel. I want to cancel now." Again I’m told too bad I can contact the assistant manager tomorrow then...and also she will tell me the same thing, they will get the fee and no one is going to help you just sign and leave. So If I was moving, do you really think I’m going to join another Planet Fitness? Am I going to recommend them to my friends? Nope. After many years in customer service I can honestly say it was like dealing with an obnoxious 14 year old, not a professional. I will be calling the assistant manager, and will update tomorrow.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Planet Fitness promises $10 per month, but charges an extra $39 which they failed to mention when I signed up. They will block you from quitting before the charge comes through. Good luck canceling, they require you to come into the club to fill out paperwork. It's a scam. It's also weird they let women clean the men's locker room when you're there.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I paid $21 per month for 1 year, and I paid $42 in February for an annual fee. My membership supposed to last until March, after that my membership would be $21 month to month, I wanted to downgrade to the $10 a month and they wanted to charge me a $39 for an initiation fee (in March after me paying $42 for an annual BS fee) to be able to keep my membership month to month at that price...

Original review: March 18, 2018

BEWARE Planet Fitness (Westmont NJ) Shady Tactics in my opinion: I fell for their New Year Promo…$10 mo. No commitment marketing. They tell you that on March 1st they are going to hit with you a add’l $39 annual fee. I called prior to this date to cancel. They told me the only way to cancel is to come in person or to send a certified letter. (It’s 2018, I can’t cancel online or do an e-signature or email or fax… Really?) Clearly, a way to deter folks from canceling. I go into the gym a few days later to cancel and get my $39 refunded or pro-rated. The Manager refused, the Regional Manager (Elaina) refused. They refused to provide me with the name of the owner. I then call the corporate office and they refuse. They tell me I would have needed to cancel (5) days ‘prior’ to 3/1 in order to avoid the $39 fee.

“Shady”/unethical business practices as far as I’m concerned. Just because the industry is not heavily regulated and lets them legally get away with this doesn’t mean it’s right! BEWARE. There are a ton of other gyms out there that I’m sure treat their customers better! (When I called Wells Fargo Bank to dispute the charge, the woman in the Criminal Investigations Dept. tells me Planet Fitness did the same thing to her!! I go into a work meeting the next day and share my story with some of our management team and my former manager tells me the same thing happened to her at Planet Fitness.) There were 3 other complaints by other members the same day I called the Westmont NJ Planet Fitness. This is clearly a systemic issue.

Within (2) days I was able to deter (5) friends from joining this gym…$10 x 12=$120 + $39 fee = $150 yr. x 5 = $750 in lost revenue. Clearly, they don’t understand that their decision to refuse my $40 refund and cause such a negative experience equates to a tenfold loss for them. They lack the tenets of customer service. I’ve only just begun to use my voice to share my experience. It’s time to take a stand for what is right! Stay tuned! When I asked the corp. office what the $39 fee pays for he told me it's for bldg. maintenance, cleaning, upkeep - then why should I have to pay this fee that covers a full year if I am not a member, never used the gym after the fee hit. Makes no sense why I (or anyone) should have to pay for something I never utilized. Again... BEWARE!!

PS: Once you get to the gym they then tell you the $10 mo. is only if you sign a year membership. (Which is the opposite of the meaning of ‘no commitment’.) Otherwise, the cost is really $15 mo. Plus the $39 annual fee. PSS: The owner is Bill Fidler of New Hampshire who owns Planet Fitness locations in Blackwood, Brooklawn, and Cinnaminson. Please contact me at ** if you feel you have been victimized. There is a power in numbers.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I'm current member in the Chelsea, MA club, and that's where I workout. But yesterday, the club was close and we decided to go to Lynn, MA to workout because that club is open 24h. My son is 9 years old, but I have the doctor's note authorizing him, workout with me, because he is overweight. So yesterday when I got to that club in Lynn, MA, the staff was very rude, he did not let us work out, and the way he talk to us, made my son so sad and embarrassing. People was looking at us, so frustrated. That gym is big, looks nice, but unfortunately I had this bad experience with the staff. I ask for the manager, and he told me that he was in charge on that moment. If was just me, no problem, but hurts when is with my son...he is only 9! I hope nobody else go thru this, I really do. Thank you.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Planet Fitness is unfit in providing essential integrity to its members when it comes to canceling their membership! I took out my membership for my wife and I in March 2017. By November, we had only used our membership three times, so we decided to cancel our membership. I called the Rockwood, Gresham, Oregon facility, and I asked how to go about cancelling our membership. They replied that there was a $50 penalty for cancellation before the one year contract was fulfilled, and since our fee for November had already been paid, I was encouraged to stay. What I was told made sense, so in January 2018, I called again, and I was told I would have to come in person to cancel.

When I went to the facility, I was told that I would still have to pay for 2 more months or pay the $50 penalty. I went again in Februrary, and they said there was no way I could get out of the contract until after April 15, 2018. Today is March 16, 2018. My wife felt that I should go down and check with them again, since one is not allowed to cancel online or over the phone. I almost didn't go, but if my wife has a feeling about something she is normally right. When I arrived and spoke to the manager, he stated that I should have come in before March 10, 2018 to cancel. Since it was March 16, 2018, Planet Fitness charged us another month's membership fee even though my year was up in February.

When I explained the wrong information I was given time and time again, the manager, who was very nice, just said, "That's the way our corporate office does business". I explained that this kind of business practice is dishonorable and nothing more than a scam! His reply was basically that, "This is how we do business". Let me make this very clear! I will never do business with this unethical company again, and I would suggest that it might be a good idea for you to follow my example.

Original review: March 6, 2018

After I sign 3 month letter I get 39.99 membership charge which was not included during sign in time. Not only that after 5 month I was traveling out for over six weeks so idea to cancel the membership, which I have been tallied 35.00 charge at the beginning of the agreement. So I made a phone call I have been talled. I can't cancel it unless I walk into the exact store I sign in. Which is ridiculous! You can have app to track everything about you but doesn't do a job. I find it a scam and collect information, anyways never use it. I knew right away.

The point they charge me 58.00 and which I have been talk 6 weeks before $53.00. There is no control. They charge whatever they want. I will report them to BBB too. Still didn't get the email for cancelation. The only thing they ask is a signature. You can do that from anywhere but they have to charge falsely. I have been charged illegally lots of money. Never sign for Autopay! No corporate phone or email will provided to you. Location Chamblee Tucker Rd Atl GA.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I had a Planet Fitness membership, I got pregnant and had some pregnancy complications and I was unable to work out. So I wanted to cancel my membership because I knew I would be having surgery after my pregnancy. I gave them the paperwork they asked for and they told me that my account would be canceled and I would get a phone call. I never got a call. 4 months pass and they start to debit my account again. Turns out instead of canceling my account, they frozen it, but did not inform me of that. THEY LIED and told me it was canceled. I called my home store and again, the person I spoke to told me my account was canceled and the charge was a mistake and it would fall off after a few days. It never did and they continued to debit my account.

I placed a block on my account so they would not be able to take my money but they went around the block and used my debit card. I fought the charges. I got a new card and they charged my new card without me having given it to them and I found out they have an auto biller, so even if I get a new card, they will still be on fraudulent foolishness and get my new info. They know you can't block debit cards and that's how they continue to steal money from you. Months go by, and 2 days ago, Planet Fitness charged my debit card, out of the blue, for $167.18 for 2 years renewal and 7 months of club fees. I called my bank, they called my home store and they LIED and said that they told me my account was on hold and that they needed documentation from me about my pregnancy to cancel my account. **!

I got into an argument with them about how they lied to me and stole money from me and I want the number corporate, the club assistant manager, named Adonis, told me "we don't have corporate's number.". So, I asked for the manager's number (like his extension) "we don't give out that information". So, after 12 years of being with my banking institution, I'm closing my account and getting another one because I do not trust that Planet Fitness will not debit my account after this. I called corporate but I haven't received any response from them. I plan to go there Monday and get this squared away because I do not want them continuously stealing my money without a thought. They are absolutely thieves!!

Original review: March 4, 2018

I signed up for Planet Fitness in June or July 2017 because they had a special going on, $10 down and $10 a month. I happen to move before this business opened in Aug, 2017. In late Aug. I went to the store to pay my bill and to close my account. I was told that my bill was $89. I did not understand, so the front desk attendant explain the bill. I told them that I did not have $89 at that time but I would give her $40 and to please close the account because I did not live in the area anymore. I would not be coming here. I would pay the rest when they gave me a remaining balance. I was told that they could not close my account until the full balance was paid. She would not take my $40 because it was not all of the bill $89. I called the corp. office, they told me that I had to speak to the person in charge of that particular store.

I then called back to the store for the manager in the Seat Pleasant store. She called me back after numerous calls. I was told the same thing. None of this made since to me. My bank account was hit over and over again, the money was not there. They hit my account every other day for a month. I finally had to stop payment with the bank after I explained the problem to the bank of why I had so many overdraft charges on my account. The stop payment charge was $30. The bank removed some of the charges after I explained the problem. I still paid 5 bank fees of $35 each.

My account still is not paid as long as they continue to add to my account. I never used the service and as far as I know the account has never been closed. Whatever happen to no contract or no commitment. I think they should pay me back all of these fees. Their rules did not make any sense. I have never gotten a bill from them. Planet Fitness 6302 Central Ave Seat Pleasant MD 20743 thank you.

Original review: March 3, 2018

They go into your bank account monthly to get their fee. I was told 10 dollars a month but was charged 19.99. Then it went up to 21.50. I tried to cancel but keep getting the runaround. After they took my money for a year and I only went to their club once. They started another year. They say it's recurring. They just wanna keep getting over on poor people.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Beware, I canceled my membership and Planet Fitness continues to draft funds from my bank account. This is a very dishonest company. My advice is to pay with a credit card, that way any extra charges can be disputed. If they don't allow credit card, go elsewhere.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I bought my daughter a membership after talking to several club. They have a special but no mention of a yearly fee. I was charged a yearly fee for cleaning. I only found out after contacting ABC Financial and they explained it. This company is a bait and switch and I'm cancelling my daughter's membership. There is no mention of a yearly cleaning charge and the website and fliers do not mention it either. They were also adamant about getting my account information so they could direct bill. I'm very happy that I put it on my AE. I'm going to dispute this charge and cancel the membership. When I contacted the PF website for a complaint. They sent a message back to me that each one is owned and operated individually and they couldn't do anything to help and I need to contact the business I joined at. This company sucks. It is a bait and switch and have no customer service. DO NOT JOIN THIS COMPANY.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Planet Fitness - Murfreesboro, TN - I tried cancelling my membership early in 2017 and was told I needed to come in, I work full time and go to school full time, so I never had the time to actually come by the gym, I knew my membership would be up soon and I fulfilled my contract obligation and then charged for annual membership fee, I asked for a refund and they told me it non-refundable and that I needed to let them know by the 25th of the prior month that I wanted to cancel. I wasn't aware they were going to continue charging an annual fee and they will not refund anything, I'm a budget and refuse to help. They said a lot of people are asking for refunds and they are refusing.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Back on July I forgot about my payment that was due which was automatically taken out of my account. I logged into my account online at Planet Fitness and it said it was CANCELED. I went down to the Planet Fitness and talked with the lady at the front desk. She said my account was CANCELED and if I wanted to re-start my membership that I would have to pay a certain amount. I declined and decided to not re-start my membership. So I left. Since then Planet Fitness has been charging my card 10 bucks a month. I didn't keep a good enough eye on my account and didn't notice. Now they say I owe them 200 before I can cancel or they will keep charging my card until I pay. I've contacted them several times and their customer service is horrible. I just want them to stop charging my card and to refund the last 10 dollars they took out of my account today!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I joined Planet Fitness closest to where I live and work, as I live close to where I work. When I joined it was a $1 to join and then the monthly fee on the 17th, and of course I chose to be a black card member. I started going. I have gone two or three times in the first week and then stopped going. I had a guest with me each time. Me and my guest never felt exactly comfortable, but we are not sure if it is the gym itself or us missing our old gym that we used to go to.

Anyways, the after we had already gone out two or three times, I got billed the first month on the 17th. That was great, except they billed me twice, and overdrew my account. So I had to go in twice to take care of that, not to mention the trip to the bank with the letter from the manager to reverse the overdraft fees. This was several days of headaches and worry. Plus the waiting for the refund that took about two weeks to get back.

Then they took out the yearly fee, or at least it better have been a yearly fee, two months after I joined. But they drafted my account at midnight, or just after and my payday wasn't until 4 AM, so there was another overdraft. I didn't even dispute that one, because I did sign the year contract and I thought it would come out at the beginning of business. That is my fault. They have never charged me exactly on the 17th. I watch my bank account daily, so I do know that. I don't care what anyone else says. That makes it hard to plan. However, I continued to pay the monthly fee for a couple of months.

Then we decided that we will stop paying for the Planet Fitness and return to our old gym. We were happier there anyways, and as I had only used it a few times and had no plans to return, we decided to cancel. I canceled the policy, and yes I went into the location and paid the buyout. They charged me for a whole other month, on the 20th. Now yes I canceled on the 16th. But there was NO mention of having to cancel before the 10th, until I went into the gym, mad as all get out. I mean come on. And they can say they can put in a request for a refund but she can pretty much guarantee the request will be denied. So I paid for a month I have no intention of using, and have already canceled my membership. I MEAN COME ON!!!

I read the reviews right before I joined. And honestly I don't need anyone to make me feel guilty I got taken in by them. I already feel guilty enough. I have given up on getting the one month's fees back, I am more focused on stopping any further charges. The thing that sucks though, is that now I am nervous about going back to any gym, even our previous one that we liked. I am so worried about giving out my information again.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

When I signed up for the new location in Iowa City, IA, I was so excited. There was a gym about 3 miles from my house that was a "judgement free zone". Things went great for the first year, and I genuinely liked the gym. But after that first year, I decided not to renew my membership. I read my contract up and down (I was locked into a year-long contract) to make sure there was no auto-renewal agreement. There wasn't! So I just stopped going. Now they're saying I owe them for that full extra year (even though I gave them my keycard back, so how am I going to the gym?).

They refuse to cancel the service until I pay them for a year of a membership that I don't want and I didn't use. Frankly, I'm not paying $270 for a year of an unused membership. I don't even live in Iowa City anymore, and haven't since 2016, the year they're charging me for. But they still refuse to cancel until I've paid? This definitely makes me never want to join another Planet Fitness.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I paid 300$ for a whole year in advance. Fine, whatever. Then, when the year ran out (a month early) they started charging my account which they assured me was only a technicality to have my account information. When I called to cancel the same day it was drafted out, they refused to refund me the money. Despite the fact that I did it at 9 am the morning it was drafted. This is not a courteous company.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Been with Planet Fitness since I got out of the Navy. Being able to still do my workouts here to what I did in the military is awesome. 20 bucks a month includes additional services and bring a guest for free. Annual fee every February along with your monthly bill. 24 hours you can go workout at 2am no big deal. Gym is not intended for juicehead douches trying to prove something to everyone. Dumbbells and Smith machines work as long as you add the other 15 pounds required to be considered "barbell weight". People really need to shut up, stop complaining and blame themselves for their failed mental capacities.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

False advertising. You have to provide bank account information and sign a contract. Then, you are charged a yearly membership fee as well as what you pay monthly. My husband and I signed up to be able to get extras for an additional $10/month. We want to save money now since the extra amount isn't worth it. When I called my local gym, I was told we could downgrade (for free) once our anniversary date comes up. Otherwise, it costs over $50. Each. We would never join again. Won't recommend to friends, either.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I was shocked to find I was paying $20 per month to Planet Fitness for late fees when I joined online. Apparently they said there was an error in my account and so were billing me late fees without ever notifying me through email or simply calling my phone number. Of course I am disputing the fees and will not pay them as they did not make any effort to contact me. I do not have an order number to include as I was never even sent a confirmation when I signed up. Nice facility, poor management attitude from 'manager' Angela at the Waynesboro branch. Very, very poor customer service.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

My foot and hand have been itching on and off for months. It has to be athlete's foot. The problem isn't that I contracted it. It's that I am scrubbing the floor in the tanning area and putting my other hand on the floor and touching the foot panel and now I contracted ringworm on my hands. I refuse to expose myself to ringworm and athlete's foot and they need to have workers clean with bleach. I have been tanning only since October. They need to have management bleach tanning areas.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I have tried to join this gym twice but they insist on getting my banking account information. Anyone will tell you, never, never, never give out your routing number and bank account number, especially to fitness centers. Financial guru, Clark Howard said fitness centers are famous for getting your banking numbers and continuing to take your money after you have quit going and even notified them in writing that they are not to take anymore of your money from your account. He said you often have to close the account in order to get them to stop. I'd love to go work out, but not if this is the only way to pay. I even offered to pay in cash up front. They want those banking numbers. Then they can cipher out all your money from your bank account with their hidden fees and annual fees. And with the internet breaches - just another way to lose money and have your account hacked. No thanks!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

As to the mailer Ads stating that 1$ down, 10$ monthly payments- for Membership, With an additional charge of 39-49.99$ monthly added. Tried to pay in cash: But they ONLY SELL BY WAY OF CARDS?? THE AD, is light refractive: small print, under glass, You can read the ADDED Charges. FAKE ALL AROUND BUSINESS!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

EVERYTHING is below the bar at PF. The equipment, the overall cleanliness of the club, customer relations, etc. The laundry list is long. At our club the wi-fi is constantly down. Cardio machines audio plugs are OOO, dirty locker rooms, etc. The music in the locker room is extremely loud. A metering peaked at 67 DB. A vacuum cleaner is 70 DB. Not a great atmosphere to slow down in after a workout. We put our year in, cancelled, and have moved on to a club that offers more value overall. I'd avoid PF at all cost.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I joined PF December 15, 2017 online. I was told I would be charged a prorated amount for the month of December and a $10 enrollment fee. I paid the balance and thought everything was good. Two days later a full month fee was deducted from my account! I contacted PF and they told me that since I joined before the 17th, I was charged the monthly fee! I tried to explain that I wasnt made aware of this when I joined online and they refused to refund my money. I asked to take my bank account info off my account.

I was giving a number to call to make this change. Come January, they couldnt get the funds from my new account so they pulled it out of my original account and took out a late fee. At this point, I decided to close my account. I called and was told to come into the physical location in order to cancel membership. I went in on January 29th 2018 and closed out my account. The gentleman behind the counter provided me with paperwork showing that my account was closed and that I owed $0 balance.

On Feb. 3, 2018 I received an email with my cancellation paperwork. When I opened the document, they put that I requested my account to be closed on Feb.2, therefore I owe the annual membership fee! This fee is taken out on Feb.1, I canceled on January 29th. They changed my dates around in order to try and get money from me when I have to original paperwork with the date I canceled and showing I didnt owe anything. I called the gym and asked to speak with whoever is overbilling and accounts, a lady came on the line.

I provided my information and explained my situation. She looked in her system and said it shows I canceled on Feb. 1 therefore I owe the fee. I tried to no avail to explain I have my paperwork and can provide it to show that the information in their system is inaccurate and that what they are doing is fraud and illegal. She didnt even care and hung up! Now I get text messages every day stating I need to update my account to pay my balance (I had the bank close my account so they couldnt take any more money). Im going to continue fighting this. I warn anyone who is thinking of joining their gym to PLEASE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Due to having recently recovered from breaking my back and getting back into a regular workout I was unable to use all the machines in the 30-minute section and another patron went to staff and told on me. Told him I wasn’t following the rules. At which point I was publicly scolded by a PF clerk. Need I say more.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I joined Planet Fitness in 2016 as a Black Card member. My home club had not yet opened, but they advertised a hydro area and massage chairs. I was advised Black Card members could bring one person each session. I was not impressed when the club officially opened. The hydro area was nothing more than hydro massage beds, the massage chairs were OK, but what was not disclosed is Black Card guests are not allowed to use those amenities. That is very misleading considering their website says unlimited guest privileges. Nonetheless, I continued to pay my "one time membership fee" and then paid my monthly fees and annual fees without incident.

Fast forward to 2018. I called the club to downgrade to the $10/month plan. I was told you must go to the location to make any policy changes. That is complete nonsense considering you can join online. I was informed I would be required to pay a $39 member initiation fee to downgrade. Why would a current member need to pay another member initiation fee? The representative explained a new membership fee was necessary because I was outside of my initial 12 month commitment AKA contract. My response was to cancel the membership entirely. I was emailed a document confirming cancellation. The document said my last day to use the facilities was 2/3/2018. I did not use the facilities 2/3/2018. I last used the facilities in January 2018. I was only there today at the behest of the club to make changes in my policy. I believe they apply the later day so they can bill for dates of use extending to another monthly cycle.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

The manager was very rude and judgemental. Unprofessional. I only was there once. He accused me of something I didn't do. And in front of everyone he cancelled my membership. I was so upset. Please have him replaced.

Planet Fitness Company Information