Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.83/5

Planet Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: May 23, 2018

I haven't been to facility in at least 5 months. I called to cancel and was told I would have to send in a letter or go in person. I live 2 hours away from the Planet Fitness I am signed to so I sent in a letter requesting to cancel my subscription. Well till this day I am fighting these parasites to get to stop charging me. If they cannot with my bank account then they charge my debit card. Predators for sure. Save yourself the massive headache and go to another gym. Most facilities are outdated and filled with the weirdos.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I canceled my membership on March 18, 2018, and it clearly states CANCEL. However, they are still billing me. I spoke to one of the attendees last night and she doesn't show where I signed anything. I am totally baffled because I went in person to this place. I received a copy of the Membership Cancellation or Freeze Form. The young woman that waited on me couldn't even put the correct monthly dues. I have the black card which makes my fees 21.46 and she puts 10.70. I guess this is part of dumbing down America. I am going to go in this morning to try and see what the manager will say before I go to Bank of America.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I been having frequent allergy attacks and sinus infections asthma attacks skin irritation from the chemical use inside of Planet Fitness Park West. I alerted the manager “I was told people rather for it to smell good than it to stink.” It’s a gym. When you work out it opens up your lungs. People have asthma and others conditions. So you rather people pass out. I had a Planet Fitness worker spray air refresher while I was working out. Sent me into an instant asthma attack. I called corporate. I was told a message would be sent over and someone would call me. I got no call. I left several messages on the company Facebook page. No help. I was forced to join another gym which I can afford. Now I have to have surgery for having frequent sinus allergy infections.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I was beyond upset after leaving this establishment which I have been attending since opening day. I was confronted by a employee while I was half dressed getting out the shower. Racist comments were then said about making sure to "spray that shower good. The ** chic was in that one". I then ask why the employee is laughing at me and I got my membership cancelled. Asked for corporate and the employee named and was lied too further. I walked out of this gym truly violated. Left in tears.

Original review: May 7, 2018

TV and Music. The desk person said it was demographics (idiotic NEW computerized, cheerleader/robot/Christian probably). No one listens ('cause they got their buds ya know?) Enfield CT Branch has variety but oh no! NOT Springfield, MA branch, they have to defy logic just because I asked anyway. I also hate, hate, hate watching the horrid news between Anderson Cooper (frozen face) and Sean Hannity and all the nonsense insulting American intelligence which there is so little of

with everyone's brainwashed head/eyes down on their phones when they should be on their girlfriend. (Like the Janis Joplin song: also not about that!!!) Get rid of the news!!!! It's BAD for workin' out!

Original review: May 1, 2018

Beware of Membership. Sneaky Loopholes!! I haven't used my membership in months and was advised by 2 people plus the manager that I had to wait until Apr. 28th to cancel my membership to avoid being charged a $56.00 penalty. On Apr. 28th I went to Planet Fitness and was rudely told that I still had to pay a $39.00 annual fee because she advised me that I would have had to cancel my yearly membership 5 days before it ends, so take your pick... You're going to be penalized either 39.00 or 56.00 to be penalized either way! Carefully read your contract! What a scam they run!! Beware of these crooks...

Original review: May 1, 2018

My wife and I recently joined Planet Fitness. We met with the representative, who was very busy/distracted/and struggling with computer system problems. We were told that there was a $10.00 per person/per month membership fee, period. No other fees. We signed up, and have been happy with our experience at the gym. Today we both got charged a $39.00 annual fee. This fee was not disclosed by the rep who signed us up. The rep on the phone's response was that it was written in the agreement that we signed. So bottom line is that it is our fault for not reading the fine print. But I am disappointed that the actual human rep was not forthcoming and truthful about the fees. I plan to cancel my membership at the earliest opportunity. This is not how I do business, nor will I support a business that resorts to these tactics.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I was up for my renewal annual fee. I went into the "home store" that I had been going to, canceled my account. They had it in writing, the employee that was at the counter signed the acknowledgment that I was canceling my account. They have now withdrawn $41.73 from my account which overdrew my account. When I called to talk to the manager. She said that there was nothing that they could do. When I explained exactly what happened that day with the employee even the date and the time she is refusing to cancel my account and refund the money that I was charged, said that all her employees know what they are doing and there was no note of this on my account. Instead of providing good customer service and refunding my money and investigating the issue with her employees said there was nothing that she was going to do. This fitness club is a joke and screws over their members with fraudulent charges.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I called to cancel my membership last week. I realized that my annual fee was going to be taken out of my bank account and I rarely use my membership. I've gone twice in 3 months. I called 6 days before my annual fee would be billed. The girl told me that I would still be charged the fee because it wasn't 7 days before, but that the store manager would work with me since I called 1 day late. I waited 4 days until the store manager would be back in, he says he can't do anything since it's only 2 days before the fee gets billed. Even though I called several days ago and had to wait for him to be available, AND the original employee verified I had called sooner and he wasn't available. Still won't help me. Since the stores are independently owned, there is no corporate office to talk to. Only a regional manager, who leaves everything up to the store manager's discretion. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I go to the club at 75th Ave and Thomas. Why does Planet Fitness allow people to just sit at a machine and just talk on their cell phone and not use the machine and why would Planet Fitness allow members to take their kids with them to work out. Are they not afraid of the kid getting hurt or do they welcome lawsuits.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Joined my daughter up several months ago at 21.99 per month. After several months she wanted to stay a member but downgrade to 10 dollars per month. After 3 calls and two visits, they now tell us it will cost another 20 dollars to stay a member at the lower rate. Even though there is nothing on the contract and wasn't even told this on the phone, my daughter was told that it is the policy of the store in Webster, MA. The person I spoke with agreed that there is nothing in writing but that is their policy. I told him that Planet Fitness will lose 4 memberships over a lousy 20 dollars, he did not give a **. I called corporate, they said that all sites are individually owned and there is nothing they can do. WHAT A WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS. Stay away from Planet Fitness.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I joined last July on Dauphin Street in Mobile, Alabama. I went a few times around 9:00 p.m. The clientele was sketchy and I had some young men tracking me - had a friend there whom they did not know I was with and I texted her on her machine to watch and tell me if they were following me - and yes they were. We didn't let on that we were together. When it was time to leave, they were watching and went out ahead of us. I asked a young man who claimed that he was the night manager to see us to the door - as we were parked right in front of the door. The boys were outside in a group and when he saw two of us walk out and the 'manager' watching us, they scattered. I decided that I don't need this riff raff and the next day, went online to cancel my membership. Nope! You can't. They said you must do it with your local center. I called there to cancel. Nope! You have to come in.

I went in (this was January or February) and they told me I could not cancel until March or the fee to cancel would be more than just staying with it if I did it before March. So in March, I went back in, filled out the forms and cancelled. I also informed them that I no longer used that particular bank account so they needed to make sure it was not billed that month. Today, I received a letter from the bank telling me my account has $120 in fees because they continued to bill it and they hit it three times in the last 5 days, totaling $90 just since last Wednesday!!! They also hit me in March and there was a fee. They hit me three times in the past 5 days at $30 each, totaling $120.

I went to Planet Fitness and was told there was no cancellation in the system - though I received emails saying "We are sorry to see you go..." and "Come back...." The curt manager told me that I would have received an email with the cancellation in it. I had assumed the 'Sorry to see you go" was that. She told me the only way to cancel it is to pay $40 in back fees and the $58 cancellation fee. They won't help me with the $120 bank fees. This company is set up to deliberately take your money and make cancelling your membership a big pain in the ass! They are CROOKS!!!

Original review: April 23, 2018

Planet Fitness on S. Buckner Blvd Dallas, Texas - Nothing works, the cooler, no the hydro massage beds, the wall sockets, and they signed me up on contract when I specifically asked for non contract, being that I'm on disability with back and hip surgeries. I have told them about the business over and over again, but nothing is being done.

Original review: April 19, 2018

This place is only as good as the employees are, they pay minimum and they are awful. The paper towels are there sometimes or not. The whole concept of the business is to overfill the members or as they feel suckers. In Natick, MA where I go they have over 12,000 members in a club that would hold maybe 100. They don't keep good equipment. All low end always breaking down and no maintenance. They only have one opening and she's always late. A no show. I'm quitting!

Original review: April 19, 2018

Beware of the shady, at best, practices at the Planet Fitness. I joined the one in Madison Heights, MI. It was going well. They had some employee problems. Rude, hostility to race, the parking lot had a lot of shady stuff going on. SO to my surprise, the date that they withdrew funds from my account changes every month. Making it impossible to budget. I went in and complained. I was told it was a mistake. Still, the bank makes 35 bucks a pop. I am wondering if they are in collusion with PNC Bank? Four months in a row that I can see they have played with the withdraw date. I am done. I will update as this continues. I liked the facility. I like working out there. The shady parking lot, no lighting and criminal element... I can work out in my garage. Also lied about being able to use other Planet Fitness franchises. Very shady.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I was drawn in by the promise of low price membership. Once inside the manager started explaining me all the reasons for which my membership could become more expensive... Good thing I asked all the "better" questions before joining this potential headache in the making. Not 4 me! Keep in mind that CHEAP DOES NOT EQUAL QUALITY???

Original review: April 18, 2018

I've noticed upon arriving to the gym at night shift that the gym in Portland, TX is always very clean and nice smelling. I also notice the staff during the night shift works really hard to upkeep the gym. That night shift worker needs a bonus upgrade in salary. He works really hard in maintaining the gym super clean.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been a member of PF for a numbers of years. Never had any problem until today. I had brought a friend in expecting her to get a pass but they tried to charge her $10. What the hell? They don’t want new members. Looking for a new gym!

Original review: April 16, 2018

I just came back from the facility located in Ewing, NJ, without being able to continue my workout because of the unusually high interior temperature of 75 degrees - displayed on their temperature control - while outside was 55 degrees. Way too high for intense weight workout. At my complaint at the reception I was told that they cannot control the interior climate at all. The manager even reproached me that I am the only one who complained, as if I am wrong. The temperature beyond the manager's control! Months ago I complained repeatedly about the consumed air within the facility, having to go outside for fresh air. I cannot understand why they prefer to heat the air inside instead of introducing fresh air from outside, which is abundant, and for FREE!

Original review: April 16, 2018

After becoming a member, some days later I went in for my first workout. The two gals at the counter were watching tv. One scanned my card, and went back to watching tv. I identified that this was my first visit, and I wanted to get on a stationary bike. The gal told me I had to become a member first. I showed her the card she had just scanned. I again said "this is my first visit, and I want to get on a stationary bike." She waved towards the back and said "help yourself, any one you want".

I spent 10 minutes trying to get the machine to turn on, and when I was trying to "ride" the bike, it kept "pausing" without warning, which would cause me to fall forward on my new knee replacement. Then it would "resume" without warning, and I would need to pedal like heck. Then, the surprise "pause", and my new knee would go flying forward. After a half dozen times of this painful experience, I walked back up to the front desk, just to find the two still watching the tv. So much for giving a new guy any assistance. One did say "have a great day" as I left. We will be using a different center that acts like they give a crap.

Original review: April 14, 2018

They saw there is always someone there. Secure place. At 3:30am, no one working. Few min after 4 I am looking for staff, knocking on doors, asking other members. They say no one there for an hour. I try to activate a hydro bed 3 times, 2x behind the counter myself. Finally, staff walks in front door and says, "You're not supposed to be back here, what do you need." He said he was sitting in his car on his break, then follows me to the hydro bed to harass me. Threatens to cancel my membership.

Bothers me while on the hydro bed for another 5 minutes. I ask him several times to just leave me alone, but he just stands there continuing to argue that he was on break. Finally he leaves after he tell me I am rude as hell. As I leave his wife who is standing at the counter talking with him, stares at me as I leave and drive away. If he wanted to visit with his wife, why can’t he do it while he is behind the counter instead of in his car watching members walk around looking for help?!

Original review: April 11, 2018

One of the rules at Planet Fitness is when you finish using a machine, wipe it clean for the next person. There are several cleaning stations with paper towels and spray to allow the user to clean the sweat off the machine they just used. I noticed a man using several machines and never wiped them clean. I told the staff of what I had seen. They said “oh, you are the second person today that has complained". I asked them if they could tell the man to clean the machine. Their reply was, “no, we can’t tell him anything. We are judgment free zone”. What? I couldn’t believe their reply.

They would rather put their customers thru unsanitary conditions and put their well-being in jeopardy than to tell a client that is obviously breaking the rules they themselves put in place than to hold him accountable for his actions. Two weeks later, I terminated my membership with Planet Fitness. I don’t recommend anyone to join. It is my opinion that Planet Fitness cares more about money and their slogan than clients. We are all entitled to a clean environment without having to worry about diseases.

Original review: April 7, 2018

THEY LIED TO ME TO GET ME TO SIGN UP!! When I signed up, I said explicitly that I would only be in town for about one month. I asked them "I won't be charged any fees right? It will only be $20 as long as I cancel ten days before the 17th?" The employees lied straight to my face. I cancelled today, because I am going back to Germany to study. Everything went fine until I was charged $39.99 an hour later. I came back and talked to the manager. He said, "They didn't tell you about that?" I said NO. Then he said, "Oh well, there's nothing I can do." I do not appreciate being lied to. On top of this, I brought my girlfriend with me once to work out. She would not even come back, because the other members made her feel so uncomfortable with their staring, and hovering.

We couldn't get away from men gawking at her while she worked out. My recommendation is this; there is a new Crunch Gym opening up about half a mile down the road. The prices are the same! You can still bring guests! They have actual barbells and hydromassage tables! I would give them a shot before going to this gym! Do not let Planet Fitness lie to you too!

Original review: April 4, 2018

The only reason why I go to Planet Fitness is to tan. Hell I wouldn't even go if I didn't have a free membership. Some of the females that works there is snobby and fake. All honesty I don't care for one in particular that works there at night but I'm not going to say who she is. She acts like she's too good and I think she is lazy and has poor work ethics. I don't feel welcomed whenever I am there because the employees are rude and very unfriendly. They could do better keeping up with cleaning the gym and the equipment.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Instructed by the Planet Fitness members when joining that you have until the 16th of each month to cancel as they draft payments on the 17th. I did just that, with a written letter, hand delivered. There was no mention of "hey, you're already paid up for the month... Etc." They drafted payment AFTER the letter was hand delivered and canceled by said due date. Refused refund. They are unprofessional and inconsiderate. I would NEVER EVER waste my time of this business at any locale again. BTW, this is the Davis Highway Pensacola Florida location. I'm done. CANNOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE. (Name of customer service rep was Keanna.)

Original review: April 3, 2018

I joined this gym July 2017. I was in an accident Nov. 2017 with I sustained a brain injury. I informed the corporate office in writing, and figured that was the end of it. They never responded back at all. Then all the sudden in January 2018 they withdrew payment from my account, missed Feb., then withdrew Mar. 2018. I called them and was told to call my gym location. PF at Golden Gate mgr. said "Oh you are not at this gym, you are at Market St." I have never stepped foot there. I told him the whole scenario and he said "GO TO YOUR GYM WITH A LETTER TO CANCEL." Mgr said I would still be charged til August, or pay termination fee. I then saw the writing on the wall. I notified my bank and blocked Planet Fitness.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Planet Fitness is a complete ripoff. Don't join this Gym at all unless you wanna get ripped off. They have so many ways to rip you off. The main one is you have to come in to cancel your membership. I was an OTR trucker and couldn't cancel it online. That's **. They do that for a reason so they can keep charging your account. My brother signed up in NJ. He moved to PA. They told him he had to drive all the way back just to cancel so he just blocked off his credit card anyway. So of course they sent him emails saying to update his payment. They couldn't charge him anymore??? You can't do it online so they can keep charging your account. They refuse to get an online account so you could cancel online.

I signed up in February. Already paid the $40. They charged me again in May another $40. I only had a couple days in that place because I'm a busy ** trucker. Planet Fitness is a 100% ripoff. They will steal your money the minute you sign up. Either go to a different gym or build your own. They are just ** Devils all about stealing people's money. That's why they have you sign a contract. Why sign a contract for your ** Gym **. I ain't signing a contract. I'll pay as I go. That's how it should be guys. ** their ** ripoff contract.

Original review: March 31, 2018

If I could give them no stars I would. The front desk girl was all bubbly until I said I would like to cancel my membership. Then it was a rude, why? I just want to cancel it please. She insists she needs to know. I am told my yearly $39 fee is coming up in April, I’m canceling in MARCH...so? They are still charging me the 2018-2019 yearly fee. I “have to sign and agree to the fee or she won’t cancel my membership”. But I don’t agree with the fee, so I’m not going to sign a legal document that says I agree with the fee. I’m told I can just talk to her manager on Monday, and by the way she’s going to say the same thing.

(Insert attitude and eye rolls from customer service) I say, "I’m not waiting until April 2 to cancel. I want to cancel now." Again I’m told too bad I can contact the assistant manager tomorrow then...and also she will tell me the same thing, they will get the fee and no one is going to help you just sign and leave. So If I was moving, do you really think I’m going to join another Planet Fitness? Am I going to recommend them to my friends? Nope. After many years in customer service I can honestly say it was like dealing with an obnoxious 14 year old, not a professional. I will be calling the assistant manager, and will update tomorrow.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Planet Fitness promises $10 per month, but charges an extra $39 which they failed to mention when I signed up. They will block you from quitting before the charge comes through. Good luck canceling, they require you to come into the club to fill out paperwork. It's a scam. It's also weird they let women clean the men's locker room when you're there.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I paid $21 per month for 1 year, and I paid $42 in February for an annual fee. My membership supposed to last until March, after that my membership would be $21 month to month, I wanted to downgrade to the $10 a month and they wanted to charge me a $39 for an initiation fee (in March after me paying $42 for an annual BS fee) to be able to keep my membership month to month at that price...

Planet Fitness Company Information