3.8/5 (760 ratings)

About Planet Fitness

Planet Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: June 7, 2018

Clean with very friendly and helpful staff. Usually never too crowded with more than an ample variety of workout equipment. Located in a strip mall, so parking is usually available.

Original review: June 7, 2018

When someone isn't utilizing the facility and tries to cancel don't continue to bill them and say it's per the agreement. It's a racket and it needs to be regulated more. I paid 12 months and attended once in 12 months and went to cancel. And was told I owed for another month because the fee did not go through an account I'm trying to close creating multiple NSF fees. What a joke. Never again. First kicking out ** people, now overbilling us. I'll never patronize again, I can promise you that!

Original review: June 6, 2018

Planet Fitness is a great gym. The staff is friendly, the environment is nice and clean and you have plenty of equipment to utilized. It is one of the best gym investments I have ever made.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Have belonged to a fancy club and then to a storefront one. Planet Fitness has a number of advantages. First, it's not a see to be seen, meet up Place. You wear what you want. People focus on their workouts. Next there's enough equipment. Given, I'm there in during the work day. However, weekends aren't bad.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I wasn't looking for a super fancy expensive gym. At ten dollars a month, even if I skipped a few months, it wasn't a problem. Perfect for everything I need, but no pool.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have a black card membership and regularly use the Menomonee Falls and West Bend locations. Menomonee Falls is a busier location, but still nice to hop onto a treadmill on the way home from work. I do 2-3 hour workouts closer to home in West Bend when possible. It's quieter and seems a little cleaner. I love the ease of the 24 hour schedule. It has been great for me as I was going through grad school and working about 50 hours a week. It also has been a nice quiet atmosphere to get back into fitness after going through breast cancer; chemo, radiation and 10 surgeries. I still have a lot of work ahead of me to work on areas where scar tissue restrains some of the muscles and pulls things out of alignment, but I am getting there, and I feel very comfortable in the atmosphere at Planet Fitness.

Original review: June 5, 2018

You go in, get your workout done and leave. Equipment repairs and shower repairs are done, but slowly (an aggravation). Otherwise, not bad at all. Price is excellent and I recommend it.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I would like the gym to have a hot tub in the bathrooms. Example one in the women's and a Separate one for the men. So it isn't threatening and is a safe place to relax sore muscles.

Original review: June 5, 2018

They could let you try the extras at least once before you decide if they are something that would work for members. It is about double the cost and they allow it once for two days. Since I have been a member a sign-up sheet with too many names, you would be there way too long to take advantage.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Equipment is very poorly serviced. They promote that you have access to music and TV just with headphones but more than half of the machines only work Left or Right or not at all. The other problem I have is that they promote the gym with no commitment or contract but they charge annual fees and early termination fees.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Friendly, well equipped and no judgment! Convenient location, it's a really great gym. I enjoy going there and there are all ages and shapes and sizes.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Nothing towards older people and aimed towards young people. Music too loud too. Too many people sitting around playing with the cellphones, other running their own fitness classes. Not my business but tie up machines.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I had a regular membership for about (6) yrs., but upgraded to the Black Card membership a year ago so I could visit any of the Planet Fitness locations and use certain massage equipment exclusive to B-card members. What I appreciate most is the hours of operation (24/7) with the exception of a few holidays. Having the option of going 3, 4, or 5:00 am means rarely having to wait for access to any particular equipment.

Original review: June 2, 2018

You people need to really listen. Planet Fitness is a scam. A ripoff. A day may pass and they're charging you $10 for a late fee. Last November instead of the regular $20 monthly charge to utilize the gym, I was charged $79 membership fee. I contacted my home gym I asked them what was going on why so much money was being taken out, and they said it was from late fees in the past, which was false, if I ever had a late fee I always paid at the desk, I never knew I had a late fee until I walked in and they brought me up on the computer and they told me I had a late fee so I paid it. But I didn't say anything about the $79. December of 2017, the very next month, they took out $85.

I called my home gym and I ask why in the world are they taking out so much money for the past couple of months when my membership is only $20 a month. They said it again it was because of late fees. I told them that was bull crap, because they took out $79 a month before and said it was because of late fees so how are they possibly taken out another whopping high amount, $85, for late fees two months in a row. I work and I'm in school so I'm not always able to make it into Planet Fitness, but I still always pay my membership. So I knew then they will ripping me off. I went to work and total co-worker what was happening because he worked out at another Planet Fitness location.

He told me the same exact thing happened to him that they kept taking out large amounts out of his account. He said there was a new guy at the counter when he went into question his account, and the new guy told him they're taken out that amount of money so they can apply it to the months ahead. And sure enough they did the same thing to me. That's $79 and November of 2017, and the $85 the very next month of December of 2017, was applied from January 2018 all the way through the spring months. So this company prepaid for all the months ahead without my permission. I'm looking into going into another gym but after reading the horror stories when it comes to canceling your membership at Planet Fitness.

I'm kind of scared to see what's going to happen when I do. The people at the counter keep telling me I need to get done a bank account number and a routing number to my bank account, and I told them that I refuse to and I refuse to pay online because of the money that they took out of my account which was a large amount. And I told them as long as I keep using Planet Fitness I will pay at the front desk and I will not put my information online for them to use as they please. But it's starting to be a headache because every time I go in there they always tell me I have to update my account information and I refuse to. Planet Fitness has gotten pretty desperate if you ask me. Buyers beware.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Great facility in Ceres Ca. Staff is very professional and friendly. They even know your name when you enter. Exceptional customer service in every respect.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Very happy with this gym. I been going for a year and I will remain there for few more. The machines are always very clean and on working order as well. Only one thing, they don’t have group classes and yoga.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I like Planet Fitness because it's hassle free, nobody bothers you and nobody stares at anyone. Everyone is busy working out. No complaints.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I will leave it at one star since I still think it's the cleanest gym I've ever been in and I've been in a few in the last 40 years. I joined this Planet Fitness Henderson, NV E Lake Mead club because it was close to home and the 24 hour fitness close to this location closed in Jan 2017. After visiting this location I went home to think about it because it was completely different than every other gym I've been a member of. I went home and decided to join and did it online. I read the online page that said you could bring in a guest as a member for free. I thought this was a really cool feature that NO other gym offered and I have a son at that time was 12. When I went into this club to finish my membership I asked the young redheaded girl behind the counter about bringing a guest and she said yes that is no problem.

About a year later when my son turned 13 I brought him and AFTER I checked in I asked the woman behind the counter what I needed to do to for my son to come in as a guest. She was NEW and another employee had to show her how to put him in the system using his telephone # as his login. He has been coming in with me for OVER a year and we have not had a problem as this was set up and everything was great. Fast forward to 5/31/2018 around 3:15 PM my son and I came in and after I checked in I went to start my workout and my son came up and told me that he couldn't work out because I was NOT a black card member. Well this has been going on for OVER A YEAR and I was told by at least 3 different employees that is was good to go for him to come in under my membership.

Well after a short round of conversation with the on duty manager that is severely lacking in customer service acumen I left pretty upset that there was not even an effort to come to a conclusion we could both work with... He was right... I was wrong and that was his stance. I dropped my son off at home and proceeded to find a different club. I contemplated not having a club that was as clean as PF but without the "Third Reich" rules and regulations and the customer service I got from my "NEW" club is already 10 fold better than PF. I did my workout and left to go to Lake Mead/Boulder HWY PF to cancel my membership and the manager had a complete lapse in customer service and showed absolutely no sign of wanting to work with me. He said I came in HOT and gave him no choice.

(If you had been doing something for OVER a YEAR that 3 different employees told you was OK and even set it UP in front of you, WOULDN'T YOU be upset too?) My stance from here on out is that I will DRIVE out of my way to go to a club that has better customer service and will work with their customers because they care that you are there... I got NONE of that from PF or its manager on duty. When 3 different employees tell you that you are good to go with bringing a guest you take that word as club gold. Ignorance or lack of knowledge of your employees IS NOT A GOOD EXCUSE nor a reason to degrade a customer.

Manager on duty was clearly agitated and was mumbling under his breath at the back end of the counter with his back turned. I called him on it and asked if he would like to settle this outside. Not for the $10 membership, but because I felt completely disrespected. I would like an apology from the owner of this club and for god’s sake make your managers take some lessons on customer service.

Original review: June 1, 2018

It's sad really that a company whose whole theme is the idea to make you a better version of yourself, can probably be 1 of the sneakiest crooked companies out there! I have worked in customer service for a while now, and it blows me away how shady these people are! 1st, I want to say that without planet fitness I wouldn't have lost 140lbs, all while I am in a wheelchair so it bothers me to hate their company policies as badly as I do. It's obvious from the start that they are weasels when you find out that you have to physically go into the gym to cancel your membership. That's HORRIBLE customer service! If I don't want you charging my card or bank I should have the right to call to do it like millions of other companies.

Anyways back to real reason I am writing this, about 2 years ago I had a grand mal seizure in my sleep that was so bad it tore my rotator cuff. I loved going to the gym, but I couldn't. I didn't want to call and cancel, I wanted to wait till it healed, but in 2 years I still can't curl a quarter of what I used to with my left arm without a stinging pain going from my shoulder thru the middle of my bicep, so I decided to cancel. I call and explain the situation and ask about canceling over the phone instead of putting my wheelchair in the truck and driving a half hour to the gym, but nope no chance! That would actually be decency! So I drive there, go in, cancel my membership. That was months ago.

This morning I wake up to see they charged me the annual fee! Not only did I pay them for a gold membership for 2 years while never using a single gym once (just because of my hopes of returning) but after taking all that money for nothing, they are still screwing me! I called and they said it was placed on hold! Are you kidding me? I just hope there is karma and someday this company will go under, but they won't because of all the money they steal from people. It's shocking to read some of these stories and now that it's not just my PF in Stratham, NH but a corporation level scheme. IDK, maybe 1 day someone who can do something about it will catch on and stop this.

I have worked in retail in customer service for years now and to think of the companies I worked for treating customers like this is just a joke, it would never happen! I would love to be a fly on the wall at 1 of their corporate get-togethers and see how they really feel and view all their members. I'm guessing as just a bunch of walking, or in my case rolling (haha), dollar bill signs!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Staff as well as customers are friendly and non-judgemental. If I need instruction or direction or other information it is really easy to obtain either from staff or customers.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Open 24 hours and enough machines that I never have to wait plus the variety of machines makes this a good place. Optional services are pricey but large number of TV's is great.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have been a Planet Fitness member since January of 2013 at the Bronx 3 Avenue location (2913 3 Avenue Bronx, New York 10455). I decided that I wanted to transfer membership location but online it states that it is considered just like starting a new membership with a new annual fee. The reason for change of location is to accommodate my teenage son. Since it was like starting new account I thought I can cancel before my annual fee is charged then enroll him in our local Planet Fitness to avoid making two annual fees within the same year. I read that he can have his own membership but I would still need to walk him in and sign a waiver for him to workout. That would be extremely inconvenient but as long as it is only until he turns 16 I will oblige.

On May 30, 2018 I decided to cancel my service. Another inconvenience. I had to go to the gym itself to cancel not able to do it online. I spoke to a front desk young lady ** who was rude. I wanted to know what if anything was needed before I get to location, her concern was if I had an amount owed. Which honestly never even crossed my mind since I have always had auto deductions which prompted me to say “Wait I cannot cancel if I have an amount owed?” She stumbled on her words and stated, "Oh you can just come in." Another inconvenient but I headed there straight from work. I get to location and ** was at the desk. I provided my name and swiped my card.

She advised me since I canceled after the 25th I would still be charged the annual fee. Which was set to be deducted June 1, 2018. Since I had not been to the gym or had seen this information on any paperwork I asked to see this on my contract which states that because I thought I would cancel before June 1st I would not have a problem. She could not find a contract on file for me.

I wanted a manager and she called ** who would not come downstairs. Advised ** what to relay to me. The young lady sucked her teeth, was upset a contract was not at arms-reach. She is pregnant apparently so it bothered her to have to walk a few feet away from the desk to an employee room. It bothered her because as she was walking away she commented about wanting to leave and was sick of this place. She came back to the desk and showed me a blank contract that stated the rule. I advised her that a blank contract does not have my signature. I once again requested a manager and after 25 minutes she decided to come down.

A woman passed right behind me and straight to the computer where ** was sitting and proceeded to search for the contract. I did not even know she was the manager until she walked over to me and started to talk to me about the rules of canceling. She did not introduce herself, very unprofessional to not even acknowledge a customer. First thing I said “So you do not even know why I am canceling or what my concern might be?” Ms. ** did not have knowledge of the transfer policy, “On your first visit to your new home club, you may be required to sign a new Member Agreement.” I wanted to know is it because each location might have a different owner. She could not answer the question.

Then asked me did I complete the cancellation, which I did not at the time. She said we should get that done and then we could discuss the annual fee. In the process to cancel I advised her I was definitely canceling my membership. I was not satisfied with customer service at this location. She advised me they only have a selection when the customer is not satisfied with amenities. I thought that was ridiculous but I do not have personal access to the Planet Fitness system to confirm. I asked for the name of her manager so I can generate an email and she stated, "we can find the contract since we have a different system since 2013. We would have to send the information to corporate and it might take some time."

I said I am okay with the process taking time. We canceled the membership. She left to reach out to the area manager ** to advise her what concerns I had plus I wanted to know who is the person above the area manager is. Ms. ** stated the area manager would be the only person that can waive that fee and she stated we will try to work with you. I was slightly hopeful.

Ms. ** walked away, she took so long coming back to me that I had to go downstairs and put more money on the meter which means I had already spent 45 minutes at Planet Fitness. 20 minutes later Ms. ** came back in front of me. Said two words “I spoke” to then takes an incoming call not say a word and walked away. 15 minutes later she returns and I quickly advise her of her unprofessionalism to have me wait and then accept a call that was not related to assisting a customer. Ms. ** stated, "I spoke to corporate. They have determined that the fee must be paid if you have any questions please reach out to the area manager by email."

I reminded her that the I requested the name of the individuals above the area manager. Ms. ** stated I am not able to provide you that information please reach out to the area manager and she can provide that. Ms. ** was deceitful with the information she provided. When I reminded her when she said she would speak to area manager and it would take time to locate contract she went on to tell me I did not say that. I wish I would have recorded the entire transaction on my cell phone because I could not believe what I was hearing. Maybe your facility can show you the video footage and God voice recording of the entire situation, how she came down didn’t address me and the many times she stepped away without consideration.

I work at the largest Utility in New York. If I had the audacity to provide this form of customer service to people we provide service to my company would have had corrective actions done immediately. Regardless of the community you are in Bronxville or the South Bronx any company that serves within a community should have some standards that embody exceptional customer service, you should achieve for operational excellence and proudly represent your company in the community.

I never had an issue that I needed to go to Planet Fitness to make complaints or anything. I don’t even use the membership but had no issue making my monthly payments on time. The one time I wanted to make changes I came across the most unprofessional women who did not satisfy my concerns and left me drained with the entire experience. I also pay for the membership of my college age son. Creating a membership for my High School 15 year old was the objective. I can definitely advise you the only way I will continue other memberships that I pay for within my family is to only guarantee it is not owned and operated by the same individuals. This email will also be placed on social media sites as my review because this was my own personal experience. It has been very disappointing. Training is needed.

Original review: May 31, 2018

This gym is not really for those who are advanced in their workouts. It is a great gym for beginners and those who are basically causal (Not serious) about working out.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It is a great gym with friendly helpful staff. All members do their own thing and do not bother each other. Also, no one talks about what each other wear. Just a great all around place.

Original review: May 31, 2018

The one I workout is not 24/7 365. And another detail the staff in the floor never greet the customer and sometimes malfunction in equipments and they do not have towels.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Some machines get broken and take a while to fix. Location is hard to get in and out of in traffic. Can't walk to it if there is snow on the ground.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I love having a gym that is open 24 hrs without having to pay the outrageous fee for a key fob. I also love being able to visit any facility since I travel often. Wish I could pay with a credit card but they only do monthly membership with a checking account. The massage chairs are always broken, so I haven't been able to use yet.

Original review: May 30, 2018

PF is a great place to work out as long as you're not looking for personal trainers. There's lots of equipment, do you don't have to wait for a machine. The downfall is if you're out of town, and don't have the black card, you have to pay to go to a different PF. Also, they don't send an email to let you know your maintenance fees are due. It has screwed up my bank account, because I didn't realize it was time for it to be paid (1 x a year).

Original review: May 29, 2018

Well I joined Planet Fitness. I was looking for a place to get shape. I didn't know how to use the equipment. I asked the staff for assistance, they were too busy chatting with each other and was told that they would be there to assist. They didn't, finally I got upset. They told me to take a free trainers class. I scheduled the class. The trainer canceled and rescheduled. On the rescheduled time I was called and told that the trainer had a family emergency and had to cancel yet again. I was understanding. I was told that she would call me to reschedule. I never received a call.

Finally after many months of paying the membership, I called and informed Planet Fitness that If I didn't hear from the trainer that I would cancel the membership, due to nonuse (I was not supposed to be in a contract). After not hearing from the trainer I canceled the membership. I tried to join the other closer to my home only to be told that I have an outstanding balance of the last three months in my noncontract contract and a yearly maintenance fee so I would have to pay the other store $150 in order to join their gym.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Great bargain for my money. Can't beat the $10 down and the $10 a month. Didn't know about the $20 yearly maintenance fee beforehand, but at least they told me about during signing. Just wish that they had more personal trainers during late hours. My trainer was only available during the workday twice a week and on early Saturday morning.

Planet Fitness Company Information