Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.34/5

Bowflex is a brand of home fitness equipment that offers indoor bikes, treadmills, tread climbers, adjustable dumbbells and its most popular product, the Bowflex Home Gym. Bowflex designs its products to help you maximize your home fitness plan through strength and cardio workouts.

BOTTOM LINE

Bowflex offers a range of exercise equipment in several budget ranges. It uses innovative technology to provide a high-quality home workout. It may not satisfy experienced gym enthusiasts, but it’s a good choice for others.

PROS

• Advanced technology
  • Compact designs
  • Wide variety of equipment

CONS

• Inconsistent power rod tension
  • Extra cost to upgrade weight

Top Bowflex Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bowflex?

I ordered it, it showed up quickly, and I followed the instructions to set it up in a timely manner … I love everything about it. It is the perfect size, color, shape, and isn't too loud. ... It is easy to use, no matter what age you are. It helps me achieve my goals to the fullest capabilities.

I like the 11 pre-programmed workouts, the upwards of a 15% incline, app sync abilities, bluetooth capability, as well as the overall appearance and ease of use. … Overall, it is extremely easy to use, and it provides a variety of options sure to be nice for the majority of individuals.

What is a Bowflex?

Bowflex offers multiple kinds of workout equipment, including:

• Treadmills
    • Max Trainers
    • Bikes
    • TreadClimbers
    • Accessories, including dumbbells, kettlebells and curl bars

Some of Bowflex’s most popular products are its Bowflex Home Gym, Bowflex Cycle Bike, Bowflex Max Trainer and Bowflex TreadClimber. The Bowflex Home Gym lets you perform more than 100 different exercises with a single machine, depending on the model used. The TreadClimber combines the benefits of a treadmill, elliptical and stair climber for an intense cardio workout, while the Max Trainer and Cycle Bike resemble traditional ellipticals and bikes.

Using a Bowflex

The Bowflex home gym works by providing resistance using either Power Rod technology or SpiraFlex technology. The Power Rod system uses a cable and pulley system attached to flexible rods. Each repetition increases the tension in the rods, which also increases the difficulty. Since gym machines typically have steady resistance throughout the workout, you may need to do more reps with the Bowflex Power Rod system to reach the same effect.

SpiraFlex is NASA-developed technology designed to help astronauts exercise in space. SpiraFlex uses discs that connect to spokes and bands that provide resistance as they rotate. The discs come in different resistance levels and can be connected to provide an even tougher workout. SpiraFlex provides a steadier resistance throughout your reps, making it more like a workout with free weights.

Bowflex price

There's a Bowflex product for most budgets. For a home gym, the more affordable Xtreme 2 SE model is $1,499, while the higher-end Revolution model is $2,899. Treadmills and tread climbers range from $1,599 to $1,999. The Bowflex C6 Bike costs $999. The SelectTech adjustable weights, including dumbbells, barbells and kettlebells, range from $150 to $679.

Bowflex FAQ

How much does a Bowflex weigh?
    The weight varies based on the Bowflex machine you choose. The weight of the Bowflex Resolution is 336 pounds.
    Is a Bowflex any good?
    Bowflex machines are suitable for resistance training. Resistance through cables helps beginners build their strength and coordination safely. For experienced lifters, cables can help them lift more weight than if using free weights.
    What is the best Bowflex to buy?
    The best Bowflex to buy depends on your budget and workout needs. The Xtreme 2 SE is a more affordable model, while the Resolution provides a more versatile workout with over 100 possible exercises.
    Can I return my Bowflex?
    Bowflex offers a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. Products can be returned within six weeks of delivery. Customers get a return merchandise authorization (RMA) number and then send the product back for a refund minus shipping and handling.
    Can I finance my Bowflex purchase?
    Bowflex offers financing for its products. Customers can purchase products using a Bowflex credit card and pay in installments. Bowflex provides the option to buy before applying or apply and then buy.
    How easy is it to assemble a Bowflex product? Is there a service that can do it for me?
    Bowflex products come with straightforward instructions for assembly — you just need several tools and time. If you’d rather not assemble it yourself, Bowflex offers an in-home assembly service.

Is Bowflex worth it?

Bowflex equipment lets you complete a gym-style workout in your own home, and the company’s satisfaction guarantee allows you to try out Bowflex’s products before fully committing to the purchase. We recommend Bowflex’s products for anyone interested in working out at home regularly.

Bowflex Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bowflex?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

Great for a high intensity shorter workout. Definitely pay to have it assembled for you as it is not easy to do yourself. I usually skip the pre-programmed workouts because they are way too intense!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

The Bowflex SelectTech 552 dumbbells are a nice, solid solution if you don't have the space or money for a traditional dumbbell set. They are a great value, just treat them nicer than normal weights.

Get buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

We have a Bowflex treadclimber machine. The company spends a lot of dollars convincing you of how easy it is to use and you will look fabulous in 5 minutes a day. It is actually only for the fit.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

Bowflex for me is all about convenience. You can either get the standing free model that I had or the one that actually can just go right under your bed. It's a well-built piece of equipment and it tar.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I love our Bowflex! My husband, my 21 year old son, and I use it almost daily. Sometimes we have even had to plan around each other's schedules. Great quality, and well made. Great workout!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

First I have owned Bowflex products for over 10 years, the first time I used them for a home gym (about 10 years back) I had no issues, all came together, they did not do what now is the norm...and customer service for returns is rude and they want to just save the cost by telling you, you are wrong. Now let me explain... So, I had to get a new machine because my old one was just falling apart, nuts cracking, caps coming off, could not get out the wiggle in the frame...things like that. So I ordered a new machine that was not like the old one, it did not come with the bench or other attachments, what I ordered the same day below.

100334 BFX XTREME 2SE HOME GYM 1
      001-3381 Preacher Curl Attach Xtr X2 1
      95146 BFX 310# Rod Upgrade 1
      IHA-100334 Bowflex X2SE Home Gym Assembly 1

STRENGTH-IHAHA Strength Haul Away 1

Now, I was tense because of the smallness to it, again unlike the one I had before that was more like a home gym you picture in your mind. I was scared about not having a bench attachment because most of your fly's, curls, sit ups, could all be done from the bench (Total Machine), this machine (100334 BFX XTREME 2SE HOME GYM) they made it so you could have a smaller device and yet they gave you tools to work your arms, it's just not enough (with a bench you could do a variety of things that you cannot do with this machine because of the lack of "the bench"). Even trying to use free weights on this is impossible because of the angle the seat is at...It's like all they wanted you to use was the rods and nothing else, this would be great if you just want to be tone, but without an added free weight routine you will struggle to get to a size you are proud of.

The main issue is to come...but, I want you to know to get the same workout as the old machine I had to purchase, a bench and weight stands (and good ones are not cheap, especially getting a bench that inclines and declines and you do not want to slack on safety so, good stands are a must) to go with my free weight I was able to use with (again) the old machine.

If you have a Bowflex and go from the rods to free weight you can tell a huge difference, again if you want to get tone and build some muscle it's great, but without an added free weight work out you will not get those huge biceps you see on others, that's why I started adding the free weights with the old machine, but they all fit together and (because it had a bench) it was a seamless workout...Now I am jumping from machine to a bench and it's just awkward.

Now to the main issue I had with this order and what the customer relations folks said to me. First, you see on the list above I added on more rods, more weight because I need it to work out (I am past the basic rods) and these did not show up for almost 2 weeks after the machine was assembled, I had to purchase some on ebay (used) and get fast shipping before I could even start the workout.

Second, like I said about the arms...without a preacher curl added to this machine it will be hard to get that great looking bicep (and added free weights) I have had my machine for almost three months and I have yet to get the preacher curl that was ordered the same day as the machine (just like the rods, did not come all together). They stated it can now take up to another 2 months...because of their facility. Let me explain what this means, China has not shipped them yet, these add ons are all shipped from china, unsure about the rest of the machine...but the delayed parts are coming from china (verified through customer service chat session, I have copy).

So what is my issue? Well, they came and got my old machine that had all the workout I needed and replaced it with a machine that did not have all the parts I needed to have the workout needed, and when I told customer service I wanted my old machine returned when they come to pick up the incomplete machine they dropped off...I was told..."Sir you got the complete machine, you just did not get the attachments." Then I was told my old machine could not be gotten because it was a trash away. Now, they make you keep all the boxes so if you are going to return it, it's easy for them. But the machine, the same person who put up new machine took the old machine, has been trashed and cannot be returned...Does anyone see this as not the way to do it? If I have to return your new machine, I should get my old machine back? Am I just being silly?

But, if you order this new machine...If you're looking to get toned this machine will get you there...But, without a bench, weight stand, free weights, you will never look like the stud in the commercial. They should have kept the bench, because it was essential to many exercises from fly to sit-ups (yes they gave you the instructions, added things that can help you get there, but...alone you will not get the look you want so expect to spend more money). If you do add this machine workout with a good 2 hour free weight session you will be on your way to a great body.

I can only workout 3 days a week, the normal time to complete a workout worth anything (if you work out Mon, Tues, Wed...like myself) with this machine and a free weight session you will need 3-4 hours per workout to get that body you want, unless you are just toning up then it will take 2-3 hours per workout to get the best tone.

I am over 50 and Retired Military, I have to work out or my injuries will hurt me more, you sit you will have pain...Your workout you can shake some of that off and look good at the same time. I have been master fitness and have attended some schooling on working out, so I do know a little bit of what I am talking about.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Bowflex is excellent. It did every exercise I could think of. The only other item needed is treadmill. Easily moves through exercises, merely changing the weight. I highly recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

Our NorticTrack tread has all the features needed for fitness with a few extras we enjoy - built in fan/speakers. The Bowflex adjustable weight DB are great with varied weight and compact design.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

WE have the Bowflex eight and like it overall. Only issue we have with it is it requires a monthly membership for a coach to offer support. For the price, it should come with part of the package.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

We've had this for almost 10 years and I'm sure there are better newer models but this is the most used piece of workout equipment we own due to its versatility.

Bowflex Company Information