Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.14/5

Bowflex sells products for home workouts, including treadmills, bikes, ellipticals and other cardio machines along with its well-known home gym line. Bowflex’s SelectTech line includes adjustable dumbbells and weights. Customers can also enjoy custom-guided workouts, virtual coaching, fitness assessment and goals tracking with a Bowflex JRNY subscription.

Bowflex Reviews

Original review: June 26, 2020

As far as ease of ordering the equipment, delivery, and setting it up, it was easy. But once that is over, they don't give a damn about their customers. Their phone system will blame it on Covid-19 but that is a scam. If you try to speak to customer service the wait times start at 198 minutes any given day but that is not the true time, if you are stupid enough to try it you will wait over five hours as I have done it twice and never speak to someone. If you do want to speak to someone at Bowflex hit the button to order a new Bowflex and your call will be answered immediately. No joke, I tried it that is why I say they are using Covid-19 as an excuse to not answer customer service calls. If you want a nice machine they have one, but if you ever need to speak to someone after your purchase, you can forget it. Go to another vendor that treats you with some respect. If there was an option for less than one star would have done it.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I ordered the BFX 1090 Dumbbell Kit, was charged immediately, but have been waiting 3 months for my purchase which I still haven’t received. Hours upon hours or being on hold and multiple emails later, I cannot get ahold of anyone to check on the status of my purchase.

Get buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2020

My wife and I decided to purchase a new Bowflex Lateral X5 as during the Covid epidemic, we could not get to our gym. We are health and fitness junkie's and needed to do something. We were also going to purchase a new treadmill, but one item at a time to get used to the idea of investing in home fitness rather than the gym experience. So, we made the purchase and a week later our product arrived. We were so excited. A technician arrived a few days later and installed what I can only call a beautiful specimen of gym equipment. So we tip the installer and send him onto the next poor schmuck that bought anything from Bowflex.

The first two days were very nice, the machine's performance stellar, a real workout for sure, so we actually talked about adding a Bowflex treadmill. Then, on day three we noticed a squeak on the down stroke on right side. We thought maybe something needed to be tightened, nonetheless, we were happy. Day 4... Today our machine broke. The motor began making a loud noise that happened on every stroke no matter how high or how little resistance we chose. Then we become painfully aware of our dilemma as we call Bowflex to get a repair on our brand new purchase.

We are told in writing on the website that due to the Covid, we are experiencing a high call volume. Ok, that fits into the model, so we wait on hold for two hours before finally getting help from someone who constantly put us on hold, obviously a new employee who needed direction on how to help the customer. So no problem, we all need to be taught during our lives. We finally get a ticket created, she also needed to record the noises our new machine was making. I thought that was odd, but little did I know what was to come. You see, as time goes on, we aren't getting much service help at all. So I did a little research and to my surprise, Bowflex simply added the word Covid 19 to their existing web page and telephone recordings to maybe justify the apparent impossibility of helping those in need of service.

Of the many complaints I read about online, I was simply horrified by the number of complaints with the same companies that I have. No one calls you back, no one reaches out to email support. If you lack the customer service staff to adequately help all those consumers, then the obvious move is to hire more, I mean, why would a company ever intentionally ignore their customers unless they had something to hide. While I am unclear as to what exactly is going on in their daily operations, I can tell you that if I treated my customers the same way Bowflex treats theirs, I would have been out of business a long time ago.

I am now seeking to take Bowflex to court, for wasting a lot of my time, having no one around to help me, and am even considering launching a multi-action lawsuit for miss-representing themselves as an actual performance company, and their inability to treat customers with respect and professionalism with an emphasis on being honest with the consumer. It is now 6 weeks since our purchase and we have absolutely no help or any notice of anything changing in the near future.

Original review: June 8, 2020

First time I've ever owned a Bowflex. I purchased the Bowflex T6 Treadmill in October 2019. It worked for a few months then stopped working around March 2020. It is now May 2020 and my treadmill is still not working. Every time I call in I am on hold for over an hour and the hold message says "We are experiencing a higher than normal call volume". I have heard this message now for 3 months. If your call volume always places customers on hold for over an hour for over 3 months then this is your normal call volume and the customer service center has not adjusted or does not care to adjust to adequately service customers.

In addition, I had to troubleshoot my own treadmill which took 2 hours my first call, had to wait 3 months for a part (which is terrible), was told I would be contacted in 2 business days after the part arrived, but was not and again had to wait on hold for over an hour to attempt to schedule service. This has been a very disappointing experience and I will never purchase Bowflex equipment again.

Original review: June 5, 2020

After reading product reviews, I decided on May 25, 2020 to purchase the Bowflex Lateral X3. They were having a great sale and I was excited to get the product. It said that the time of arrival would be within 9 working days. It also said I would get emails showing the status of my order, etc. I never did receive any communication and after a few days, called (4 times, long wait times) and opted for the "chat" where they were able to confirm they did get my order, it was "processing perfectly" and would be there within the 9 days as promised. More time goes by, I check on-line with "check order status" it says nothing... just processing.

Now we are two days away from the delivery date... I call, I email, I chat... again told it is in perfect order, will be there on time. Yesterday (because it was supposed to be delivered TODAY) I called to get a status update, called 7 or 8 different times, waiting nearly an hour each time, hanging up.... I did the chat again (also sent in probably my 5th email about it, none were every returned), I was told they have no information on my order, and have no idea where it is or when I will get it. WHAT??!?!

So, today, I again tried with all hope left in me to contact Bowflex to see where my 1700 piece of equipment is and I got a very very rude and snotty person on the phone. She definitely was not concerned about finding a solution for me. She then told me that if I would like to cancel my order she could do that. I OPENED CREDIT! I said no thank you, I will just wait a bit longer to see if I can get any assistance. Then she told me that it looked like they may be "out" now of what I had ordered. WHAT??!?! Every time I called they told me my (and I quote) "your order is being processed perfectly and will be delivered within the 9-day promise window). Then today just a bit ago, I got an email (finally an email return yay!!!!) that said (again I quote) "we messed up" and "the item you purchased is no longer available".

So - I applied for credit because they had a great credit term offer of no interest for 18 months, I got the item on sale ($400 off and free shipping) and they cancelled the DAY it was supposed to be delivered saying they no longer have them. NO offer to honor the sale later, etc. I checked and I send 5 emails to customer service, asking to speak to a Manager and asking for updates and got zero responses. The customer service was just awful and I tried to reach out and resolve it. I feel like my credit account opening and sale was bait and switch because they are telling me I should be different products now.

If I would have just trusted my gut and ordered with Sears or probably ANY other company, I would have been a week into my exercise routine and this would not have been an issue. I have never done business with Bowflex and was very excited to buy my first piece of equipment from them. I could not be more disappointed and irate with the terrible way they treated me as a new customer. I will never do business with them again and would encourage others to RUN from this company. They are simply DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bowflex?

Original review: June 2, 2020

I bought my set of Bowflex 1090 Dumbbells with stand directly from Bowflex. Shipping and packing was fine for such heavy items. Three years in service two discs which select and hold individual weights broke on one side of one dumbbell. I tried to get Bowflex service on the phone (I see no reason why I should be waiting more than 10 minutes on hold) and e-mailed a couple of times. After several attempts I received a reply stating that no spares were available and I would have to buy a new dumbbell.

Having moved to Germany over the time (my attempts on getting an answer had taken almost 2 years!) I tried through the german distributor who answered within a day. After a couple of mails with photos I received a final reply...“Sorry! No spares available." All I need are two plastic pieces, probably not more than US$0.50 in production each... Sustainability is something different!

Resolution response: May 22, 2020

I was able to work with Bowflex to come to a resolution.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Too many phone calls to count. Waiting over an hour many times and 4th email without a response. Zero customer service and please don’t blame higher call volume. I’ve been able to get a hold of every company during the corona virus except Bowflex. When I call and choose cancellations no one answers, when I choose sales, guess what. They answer the phone. Only to transfer you back to the rat wheel of returns and cancellations where no one answers the phone and they can’t help you because they are in sales.

I have requested cancellation in each of my emails. I placed an order for a $1000 “in stock bike” three weeks ago without another response from Bowflex except a order status email saying due to ship in 30 days which is unacceptable. After numerous unanswered calls I’ve have now contacted the credit line I opened with Bowflex to purchase the “in stock bike” and let them know I have had no response to inquiries. I will refuse the bike on delivery as they recommended.

As if the COVID situation hasn’t been enough. I finally do something for myself and buy this bike and it’s under false advertising. The bike was obviously not in stock when sold to me and not an ounce of customer service to explain this bait and switch or update order status on the website. I’ve had enough. My next contacts will be to the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs. And guess what I’m sure they will respond to me. I believe you are intentionally using the pandemic to take advantage of consumers by taking their money, not shipping products, and refusing to allow for cancellations. I will never work with Bowflex again and I will voice that to anyone who will listen.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I ordered simple $8.99 Bowflex Revolution handles on April 29th and when I put them in the cart they said in stock and that "Expected Delivery: Within (6) business days days." Then I receive an update later that week and they say that it would ship in about (20) days!!! I have since called many times and all times through the day with no contact. I have emailed them as well with NO RESPONSE!!!. Now at the 19th day I receive another UPDATE email stating that they will be shipping in (30) days! I would RUN far away from them.

Original review: April 18, 2020

Purchased Max M5 late last year and rarely used because of the annoying, persistent knocking sound. Tried everything to get rid of it, nothing works - just a quirk of the product I guess - seems to be a common issue. Putting it in a corner to rot, I guess. This is the second Bowflex I purchased, the tread-climber being the first and I loved the machine but it didn't last. Bowflex is over-priced for what they deliver. I will not buy that brand again.

Original review: April 1, 2020

Bought A BOWFLEX LATERAL X – Extremely disappointed!!! It has off gassing for over one year – stinks. Crappy made probably why you see people put it out in the garage and were probably paid for a “good” review. The company hides it is made in CHINA, they have on website about PROPOSITION 65 – CAN CAUSE CANCER, but they do not show that on the packaging (hidden as well). Terrible company and crappy equipment. Buy something else, USA made!! CHINA has lied about SARS and now COVID-19, DO you want to die from cancer as well??? Unable to give Zero Stars.

Bowflex author review by Mark Barroso

Bowflex has developed complex and effective machines in the strength training category for decades and recently launched the Bowflex Max Trainer series. The Bowflex Treadclimber targets a specific audience since it’s made for walking.

• The 14-minute workout: All Bowflex Max Trainer models start a 14-minute interval workout with the push of a button. The Bowflex Max Trainer is shaped like an elliptical or strider, has moving handles and activates the upper body as well as the legs. The Smart Max Interval option automatically adjusts the resistance and speed of the machine based on your customized preferences.

• Apple Health Kit/Google Fit: Workout data on the Bowflex Max Trainer and Treadclimber syncs via Bluetooth to Apple Health Kit, Google Fit, MyFitnessPal and Bowflex Connect.

• Low impact workout is easier on the knees: Those with knee injuries will be able to exercise effectively using the Bowflex Treadclimber. The maximum speed is 4.5mph.

• Compact designs: Both the Max Trainer and Treadclimber are highly compact, lightweight machines. Every assembled Max Trainer weighs less than 150 pounds.

by Mark Barroso Health and Fitness Contributing Editor

Mark Barroso is an editor, writer and researcher who has been featured in various print and online publications including Fitness Magazine, Muscle & Fitness, Men’s Fitness, Muscle & Fitness Hers, FLEX, Spartan Race and Tough Mudder. A fitness enthusiast who practices what he preaches, Barroso enjoys researching and testing the latest fitness trends including classes and products.

Bowflex Company Information