2.0/5 (37 ratings)

About Bowflex

Bowflex is a brand of home fitness equipment that offers indoor bikes, treadmills, tread climbers, adjustable dumbbells and its most popular product, the Bowflex Home Gym. Bowflex designs its products to help you maximize your home fitness plan through strength and cardio workouts.

Pros

• Advanced technology
  • Compact designs
  • Wide variety of equipment

Cons

• Inconsistent power rod tension
  • Extra cost to upgrade weight

Bottom Line

Bowflex offers a range of exercise equipment in several budget ranges. It uses innovative technology to provide a high-quality home workout. It may not satisfy experienced gym enthusiasts, but it’s a good choice for others.

Top Bowflex Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I ordered it, it showed up quickly, and I followed the instructions to set it up in a timely manner … I love everything about it. It is the perfect size, color, shape, and isn't ...

Verified

I like the 11 pre-programmed workouts, the upwards of a 15% incline, app sync abilities, bluetooth capability, as well as the overall appearance and ease of use. … Overall, it is ...

What is a Bowflex?

Bowflex offers multiple kinds of workout equipment, including:

• Treadmills
  • Max Trainers
  • Bikes
  • TreadClimbers
  • Accessories, including dumbbells, kettlebells and curl bars

Some of Bowflex’s most popular products are its Bowflex Home Gym, Bowflex Cycle Bike, Bowflex Max Trainer and Bowflex TreadClimber. The Bowflex Home Gym lets you perform more than 100 different exercises with a single machine, depending on the model used. The TreadClimber combines the benefits of a treadmill, elliptical and stair climber for an intense cardio workout, while the Max Trainer and Cycle Bike resemble traditional ellipticals and bikes.

Using a Bowflex

The Bowflex home gym works by providing resistance using either Power Rod technology or SpiraFlex technology. The Power Rod system uses a cable and pulley system attached to flexible rods. Each repetition increases the tension in the rods, which also increases the difficulty. Since gym machines typically have steady resistance throughout the workout, you may need to do more reps with the Bowflex Power Rod system to reach the same effect.

SpiraFlex is NASA-developed technology designed to help astronauts exercise in space. SpiraFlex uses discs that connect to spokes and bands that provide resistance as they rotate. The discs come in different resistance levels and can be connected to provide an even tougher workout. SpiraFlex provides a steadier resistance throughout your reps, making it more like a workout with free weights.

Bowflex price

There's a Bowflex product for most budgets. For a home gym, the more affordable Xtreme 2 SE model is $1,499, while the higher-end Revolution model is $2,899. Treadmills and tread climbers range from $1,599 to $1,999. The Bowflex C6 Bike costs $999. The SelectTech adjustable weights, including dumbbells, barbells and kettlebells, range from $150 to $679.

Bowflex FAQ

How much does a Bowflex weigh?
The weight varies based on the Bowflex machine you choose. The weight of the Bowflex Resolution is 336 pounds.
Is a Bowflex any good?
Bowflex machines are suitable for resistance training. Resistance through cables helps beginners build their strength and coordination safely. For experienced lifters, cables can help them lift more weight than if using free weights.
What is the best Bowflex to buy?
The best Bowflex to buy depends on your budget and workout needs. The Xtreme 2 SE is a more affordable model, while the Resolution provides a more versatile workout with over 100 possible exercises.
Can I return my Bowflex?
Bowflex offers a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. Products can be returned within six weeks of delivery. Customers get a return merchandise authorization (RMA) number and then send the product back for a refund minus shipping and handling.
Can I finance my Bowflex purchase?
Bowflex offers financing for its products. Customers can purchase products using a Bowflex credit card and pay in installments. Bowflex provides the option to buy before applying or apply and then buy.
How easy is it to assemble a Bowflex product? Is there a service that can do it for me?
Bowflex products come with straightforward instructions for assembly — you just need several tools and time. If you’d rather not assemble it yourself, Bowflex offers an in-home assembly service.

Is Bowflex worth it?

Bowflex equipment lets you complete a gym-style workout in your own home, and the company’s satisfaction guarantee allows you to try out Bowflex’s products before fully committing to the purchase. We recommend Bowflex’s products for anyone interested in working out at home regularly.

Bowflex Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bowflex?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Bowflex is a very good product for anyone to get in shape and stay in shape. The machine give you a great workout and basically that is all we need to be and stay in shape. All you need is to keep it up and it will happen.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

Great for a high intensity shorter workout. Definitely pay to have it assembled for you as it is not easy to do yourself. I usually skip the pre-programmed workouts because they are way too intense!

Get buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

The Bowflex SelectTech 552 dumbbells are a nice, solid solution if you don't have the space or money for a traditional dumbbell set. They are a great value, just treat them nicer than normal weights.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

We have a Bowflex treadclimber machine. The company spends a lot of dollars convincing you of how easy it is to use and you will look fabulous in 5 minutes a day. It is actually only for the fit.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

Bowflex for me is all about convenience. You can either get the standing free model that I had or the one that actually can just go right under your bed. It's a well-built piece of equipment and it tar.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I would not recommend Bowflex cardio equipment. I own both the Max Trainer M9 and the 22" Velocore bike. The Max Trainer broke down after 2 months of use -- the motor broke. I do understand that even good brands can produce a lemon from time to time. However, what is more concerning than just the fact that it broke is the service process. The replacement motor is ordered but is not expected to ship for more than a month still. Once it has arrived, then they reach back out and schedule a technician. So in total, it will be a minimum of 2 months from the date it broke down until it is repaired. That is not acceptable, even if you assume that I just received a lemon and their products are generally good.

In addition, many people may not realize that the 1 - 3 year warranty (depending on the product) applies only to parts, not labor. The warranty for labor only extends 90 days. So if your Bowflex product has an issue after 90 days, the replacement parts may be free, but the labor will not be covered by warranty. Given that the Bowflex parts are mostly plastic, the real repair costs are in the labor. So, effectively, Bowflex warranties are only 90 days.

The other big issue is the JRNY app. A significant cost of the cardio products is the monitors/displays. But unless you subscribe to the JRNY app, the monitors/displays are not of much use. You cannot even use them to watch your Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime services unless you buy the JRNY membership. Which is quite expensive at $19.99 per month, although there are annual memberships available. But the bigger issue is not the cost, it is that the JRNY service is not well developed. There is not much content and is not often updated. The app is extremely buggy and crashes constantly. But most frustratingly of all, unlike most every other app in existence, you can't manage it at all. You don't even have visibility into the type of membership you have (trial, monthly, annual). If you want to do anything, or learn anything, about your membership, you have to call customer service.

I have spend over an hour and half total with customer service, trying to manage my membership. For example, I called to activate annual, but they activated monthly, and charged me the much higher rate. Once I discovered this through my credit card statement (again, there is no way to get any information about your subscription through the app itself), I called back to switch it to an annual plan. Instead, they cancelled my subscription all together. Requiring another 40 minute call to re-subscribe. When I voiced a bit of frustration about the subscription process, I was told that "we make exercise equipment, not apps". All told, a very disappointing experience with Bowflect cardio equipment. I would absolutely not recommend given the ongoing frustrations with warranty, customer service, and the practically unusable (yet essentially required) membership service.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I spent $1800 on a Bowflex treadmill for my wife. Approximately one year later, we moved and the movers lost the safety key. She ordered the replacement key in March 21 and was told they were on back order and would not be shipped until June. The day the key was supposed to be shipped, my wife noticed the shipping date had been changed to Sept 2021. They did not notify my wife, she just happened to look herself. They have a very specific safety key so there's no other options so we now have an $1800 paperweight in the garage. It's not like this treadmill is 10 years old, it's literally still under warranty and she can't use it. So disgusted with Bowflex as they have been zero help. They blame COVID - I'm so sick of COVID being the excuse for bad customer service. We will never purchase or recommend Bowflex again.

Original review: May 8, 2021

I bought the C6 bike in a January sale. Thought buying off the website would be a good idea, direct from source. Bike was delayed which we understood with Covid times. But, within 3 weeks pedals became wobbly, first on right then left. We took off the pedal and saw poor threading on the crank arms. Bowflex was good to agree to replace parts. BUT, that was early April and now the parts come in pieces, some not expected until June 29th. Not even an instruction manual to replace a crank arm. (Was not part of our initial set up.) Very hard to get a response from the company. Buyers remorse for sure. I have a broken bike in my basement for two months or more. I would never recommend buying from this company direct.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Ordered a gift in January with the understanding that they were a bit delayed, perhaps covid, etc, fine. Get emails telling me it’s still on the way, just later dates. The latest has an “estimated” shipping date for another 20 days out from today, which will be over 5 months waiting. I should have gone through a third party but thought going straight to the company would be best. Wrong!!! Can only cancel by calling, during their working hours which are pretty much in line with mine, making it hard to call. Emailed to check status and the emailed response didn’t bother to read what I wrote and then told me they can’t find my order in the system. Did live chat today and they see it’s fulfilled and can be shipped any day with the 25th being the latest.

I find it very hard to believe at this point and am so upset by the lack of professionalism or concerns about fulfilling customer orders. I’m sure at this point they have stock back in the stores and I know it’s all over FB Marketplace, but I really trusted that a company with such a large following would do better than this. I’m beyond disappointed and just want the stupid product or refund.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Purchased M5 which broke down after very little use. Waited in lockdown for months for engineer to fix under warranty. He visited and said he needed to order parts. Waited months again with no response. Finally they offered £60 for a £1400 machine, similar to their response to another reviewer. Warranty says fix, replace or refund purchase price so warranty is worthless. Would not buy again as only suppliers in UK are Fitness Superstore whose aftersales service is non-existent and they don’t honour the warranty. Machine itself was great while it worked and would have purchased again if I could trust the warranty. Fitness Superstore are a bad advert for Bowflex.

Bowflex Company Information