Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.26/5

Bowflex Reviews

Original review: April 1, 2020

Bought A BOWFLEX LATERAL X – Extremely disappointed!!! It has off gassing for over one year – stinks. Crappy made probably why you see people put it out in the garage and were probably paid for a “good” review. The company hides it is made in CHINA, they have on website about PROPOSITION 65 – CAN CAUSE CANCER, but they do not show that on the packaging (hidden as well). Terrible company and crappy equipment. Buy something else, USA made!! CHINA has lied about SARS and now COVID-19, DO you want to die from cancer as well??? Unable to give Zero Stars.

Original review: March 30, 2020

Bowflex boasts a 30 day money back guarantee. What they don't tell you is you have to SHIP it back yourself which cannot be done with Fed ex UPS etc. Would take a long haul type company which costs almost 1k dollars out of pocket. Got the treadmill and it takes almost 20 secs to go from 0.0 to 5.0mph. Buttons consistently stick making you have to unplug treadmill. DO NOT BUY THIS.

Get expert buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2020

Ordered from Bowflex two weeks ago and paid $150 for 2 day shipping....haha. I still don’t have my purchase and every time I call (2+hours on hold) zero customer service and please don’t blame higher call volume. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!

Original review: March 25, 2020

Worst customer service ever. I have read many positive reviews regarding Bowflex's customer service but I have had many horrible, exhaustive experiences with chat, extremely long customer care hold times and even with a Sales Manager. No one was able to resolve my simple request and all employees wanted to pass me to another department where I was on hold again with no resolution. Buyer beware!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

First issue - very difficult to connect online unless you have an open connection, meaning unsecured wireless connection. If you do not know how to do it, connecting wirelessly will be on an unsecured connection. Second - hardly ever user interface. Meaning that you are very limited to what you can do with your tablet. It has bare minimum functionality and user interface. Even if you know how, after getting the info from customer service, you will still have very limited use of the tablet. Basically a very expensive tablet that you cannot use for anything else except for their one application. Third - if you don't know how, your time and date will be dependent on the internal date. You must access the setup to change the date and time. You will need assistance to get this done. But there is no mention about it prior.

Fourth - the workout videos are 99% for older models. Meaning it will not be specifically for your model. Also very limited workout - so you end up with very little choice. Fifth - the music available are not regularly updated, for instance, I am listening to the same music since I put this thing in operation - over a month ago. Sixth - the internal recording of the "motivator or trainer" does not coincide with your workout - so it will tell you, "in 10 seconds you will..." when it is completely out of sync. Meaning the voice over is useless. Seventh - wifi connection has disconnected in the middle of my workout, which means that your workout is stopped early and so far there is no way to continue with it. I ended up doing another workout just to meet my goal. Eight - this time the wifi again disconnected and I have not been able to reconnect. Meaning my workout and goal for the day is ruined. MESSAGE: DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL UNTIL ALL GLITCHES ARE FIXED.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bowflex?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

First of all, we have great credit but wanted to take advantage of the 18 months same as cash. It is a Saturday, and we're filling the app, but before we could submit it asks for credit card info. We were skeptical, but entered it because we thought they'd make good. I got an email 6 hours later asking for a return call. At first, the rep said he had no record of a transaction. I pressed him to check, and yes I see it. Unfortunately, you purchased the product, and I can't help you. Contact customer service Monday!!! The order cannot be cancelled. Try canceling Monday.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

After quite a bit of research on product and pricing, I decided to purchase a Bowflex treadmill, extreme and a bike -- along with a few other accessories. They had substantial promotions advertised on the website, which for my cart, included $300 in direct discounts plus free shipping -- a total of about $500 in savings on a $4700 purchase. They were also advertising 36 months free financing. I thought the financing was a nice bonus, so during checkout on the website I went ahead and filled out the quick application for credit, and was approved for more than enough.

Lo and behold, when I was taken back to the cart, my total went from $4300 up to almost $4900. All the previous discount had been stripped from the order right before the final "submit order" button. I called them to see what was going on, and was informed that the financing was considered a "promotion" and the previous $500+ in discounts do not apply.

There was no indication of this on the website at the time I tried to purchase. Some of the language has since been updated to more accurately reflect that, but it's still in the fine print. Now I have a credit card opened that I do not need nor want, and never would have applied had I known. I'm not about to give a company thousands of dollars while they try to pull fast ones on their customers.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

So... after almost 2 years the Max Trainer M5 sheared the metal bolt which connects drives the entire machine. We were 6 days away from shipping the entire contents of our house from Virginia to Germany, I didn't have much hope when I called customer service. However. Ms. Veronika ** came through like a champ. Of course I was a little testy at first but she talked me through it. The end result of this experience is that Veronika ensured that the entire replacement engine of the M5 was at my house three days after I called with the issue. She worked this over two days, when I called the next morning it was done. I read the negative customer reviews on this page and I understand - it's frustrating. However, if you DO need to call, ask for Veronika. She's definitely an outlier. Absolutely fantastic service.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

We purchased the Bowflex TC100 in May 2019. Since that time, we have had to make 4 calls to Bowflex for error messages that pop up and stop our workouts! We have only used the thing a total of 59 hours since May, yet it has "broken down" four times now! Every time, Bowflex Customer Service (use the term loosely), makes US (my husband is 66-years-old) take the thing apart and take loads of pictures and send to them before they can tell us WHY we keep getting same code.

We have replaced the shocks and belts already. They don't seem to want to stand behind their product. If we requested a "service call," it would start at $139.00 for each time they have to come out! That would have been $556.00 OVER AND ABOVE the monthly payment we make on the thing! We are both retired and on a fixed income and cannot afford $139.00 every time it goes down, so my poor husband has to take it apart and take the pictures and send them and put it back together! Don't waste your money!

Original review: July 25, 2019

I never ever in my entire life will EVER own a Bowflex item again. We bought a BRAND NEW treadmill in December and the running board split in half on June 12th. We called the morning after it broken and after WEEKS of waiting for someone to come fix it, and multiple appts being rescheduled, the guy came to fix it on July 9th and there was a part that had to be reordered because it wouldn't come off of the broken part of the treadmill. So this is about a month after the treadmill was broken. Bowflex offered to get us a new treadmill on that day and to come to the home and take away the broken treadmill. They ordered the new one on the 11th and we received it on the 19th. So I now have a box with a brand new treadmill in my basement as well as the other broken treadmill that is of no use to anyone in the state it is currently in.

The treadmill they were originally attempting to fix still sits in my basement not assembled and yesterday my 62 year old mother tripped over it and fell and has a good sized bruise on multiple parts of her body. When I called today all I got was a "I'm sorry, it shouldn't have been taking this long, is your mom ok?" which is literally the same thing I have been told this entire process. And is my mom ok? No she is not ok, she fell over a metal frame of treadmill landed on straight concrete and with her back and legs landing hard on the metal frame. I will tell every single person I know to avoid buying a Bowflex for the rest of my life. This is not okay and I am completely and utterly annoyed that I am still dealing with this and that Bowflex can only come back and say "sorry, it shouldn't be taking this long".

Bowflex expert review by Mark Barroso

Bowflex has developed complex and effective machines in the strength training category for decades and recently launched the Bowflex Max Trainer series. The Bowflex Treadclimber targets a specific audience since it’s made for walking.

• The 14-minute workout: All Bowflex Max Trainer models start a 14-minute interval workout with the push of a button. The Bowflex Max Trainer is shaped like an elliptical or strider, has moving handles and activates the upper body as well as the legs. The Smart Max Interval option automatically adjusts the resistance and speed of the machine based on your customized preferences.

• Apple Health Kit/Google Fit: Workout data on the Bowflex Max Trainer and Treadclimber syncs via Bluetooth to Apple Health Kit, Google Fit, MyFitnessPal and Bowflex Connect.

• Low impact workout is easier on the knees: Those with knee injuries will be able to exercise effectively using the Bowflex Treadclimber. The maximum speed is 4.5mph.

• Compact designs: Both the Max Trainer and Treadclimber are highly compact, lightweight machines. Every assembled Max Trainer weighs less than 150 pounds.

• Best for: People who want to lose weight, people recovering from injuries

by Mark Barroso Health and Fitness Contributing Editor

Mark Barroso is an editor, writer and researcher who has been featured in various print and online publications including Fitness Magazine, Muscle & Fitness, Men’s Fitness, Muscle & Fitness Hers, FLEX, Spartan Race and Tough Mudder. A fitness enthusiast who practices what he preaches, Barroso enjoys researching and testing the latest fitness trends including classes and products.

Bowflex Company Information