Bowflex

Compare Fitness Equipment

Research top Fitness Equipment recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Bowflex helps to work all areas of the body and gives them a good workout. It helps to tone and define the areas of the body I am working on. It gives my body a full workout and more. It has many setting on the machine that allows you to workout out at the pace you are comfortable with. The easy-to-follow instructions made it easy to set up and operate. Was set up within an hour and I started my workout regimen afterwards as well. I would recommend to anyone looking to workout their body to buy one as well.

The Bowflex elliptical is mainly a good product. Putting it together took about 75 minutes but using it is fairly easy and you don't have to deal with different bands or weights or with moving anything physically based on what your goal is for that day. I like the heart and calorie monitors of Bowflex too and that it takes up normal amount of space. It also holds feet so no slipping when really moving and allows me to get a good workout at home when I have the time. Allows me to challenge myself with different speeds and inclines every day based on what I feel up to doing that day. However, it tends to be loud after using it for more than 1 hour. Also, not as smooth walking as I would like it to be. It also tends to have issues with monitoring heart rate and calories burned if you are using an almost run pace on it.

I like that Bowflex has several breakout modes and a chest strap. It is also Bluetooth compatible which makes things very convenient. However, I would prefer the display to be more horizontal. I have concerns with the axle too because I see it getting loose and in some cases which I have read online it has snapped. Otherwise, the elliptical is quite easy to set up and use. It has a nice design and more functionality than most people can even use. Setting it up, I just needed to bolt the handlebars and run a cable through the spine and hook it to the monitor.

The elliptical is easy to use and set up. My dad helped me and I used it the same day I bought it. I like that it is convenient and that I don't have to go to a gym to use it. I get exercise and stay fit. Also, I like that it is black. However, I don't like top work out. I don't like to sweat. I also don't like that it wobbles and makes a squeaky noise.

Bowflex has easy adjustable tensions, comfortable seat, smooth pulleys and cables. Adjustments are easy and quick to change between users. The instructions for setting-up are straight-forward and it fits in the exercise room well. The equipment is very quiet so you can listen to music while working out. It also has some good examples of exercise. Plus, the whole family is able to use it. But sometimes, the cables running all over the machine get in the way and the coating on the cables wear off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bowflex?

The Bowflex brand has several models and several features that cater to the type of workout and experience of the user. It looks great and it lasts longer than other brands. We would always get comments on it. Dependable, easy to use, multiple settings, workout programs, less strain, and a built-in trainer to motivate you. The elliptical also requires less space than the other brands so you can place it anywhere and easily move it around. However, not a lot sporting goods carry them, so we have to buy ours online and it was expensive. The return policy was not favorable nor easy too when you really have to return it. Also, the elliptical doesn't come in different colors and intimidating at first. But it was easy to set up, I didnt have to ask anyone for help and my husband was pleasantly surprise when I didn't need his help. I was proud of myself!

Bowflex runs smoothly and easy. It was a bit costly, though I really enjoy using it every night to workout. I put it up when I bought it and now it stays there. I love the computer system that it uses because it is very advanced and it tracks my calories burned and my distance traveled. It is a big machine, but I found a great place where it fits in my workout room in my basement.

Bowflex is a great workout equipment. It’s very intense, beneficial and has great features that hit every part of my body. I’m able to get the right type of workout. It’s long lasting, very inexpensive and it's easy to keep up the maintenance. The equipment was not too complicated to put together nor to operate. The instructions were easy to follow and I was able to live chat with anyone from the company.

Bowflex is very easy to use and it came with a DVD but I didn't even have to use it. Normally I'd wait for my husband to come home to put things together but I didn't have to. I liked the look of the product, it was easy to tear down, you could climb it like stairs, it has an easy way about it. Some machines are bulky and hard to navigate but not this one. I've been to the gym and the one I bought for home had many more options and less bulky than the one at the gym.

The Bowflex exercise bike was shipped quickly and was easy to set up with simple instructions. Once put together, it was easy to navigate exercise programs to each person and has low resistance levels. However, it's a small bike. I was expecting it to be bigger. Very small seat for those of us with a larger backside area and small foot pedals for people with larger feet. It doesn't fit any feet well with tennis shoes on.

The Bowflex has a very strong fan and a cup holder. I like who it encourages to reach new goals and debates what pace would be good for you and incline. However, this bike is very confusing to set up. It is very difficult when you open the box. The parts to set up aren't in different groups and they are all mixed together. So first, you have to separate them then follow the very long confusing directions to setting it up. I personally had to have my husband help me set it up because the directions confused me. Luckily, he's an engineer.

The setup process of the Bowflex Exercise bike was pretty minimal. I just had to attach the back of the seat and pedals. Operating it was also very easy. I liked the comfortable, sleek, and clean features, as well. It worked well and you could change the resistance. The pedals were easily moved for height disadvantages as well. It was reclined backward and that was in itself kind of uncomfortable, but other than that, it was great.

Ordered the Max Trainer 5 within the last 2 months. Order showed up missing the power cord. Contacted the company and it took a week to receive. They said they were happy they could send us the part? Really? Happy that you could do your job and send the absolute bare minimum that was expected? The first time the machine was used there was a noticeable knocking noise. When contacted they immediately said they would send new part. Seemed they had this issue before. Now we are waiting for a tech to come fix it. If we do it on our own, the warranty is void. The tech hasn't been able to meet our M-F work schedule. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! So happy I'm paying a good amount of $ for something I hate to use because of their issues.

I like that Bowflex has features like calories burned, fitness goals, exercise intensity levels, heart rate and lots of different exercise programs, incline, engages different muscle groups, custom profile. But it's hard to use sometimes. I get tired really fast and doesn't burn calories fast enough. It is also a bit dangerous, the chest strap is cumbersome, has no incline settings, and too expensive. I make payments monthly. In addition, setting it up was somewhat difficult. The settings are a little hard to get right. It doesn't offer feedback, no bluetooth, takes up too much space and isn't easy to move.

Bowflex is easy to use and can enter statistics of age and weight and other stuff to start. Very good machine to tell cardiac rate and calories. I often use the crosstrail option to keep toned and improve cardiac health. The resistance is also nice since it indeed increases up to 12x the normal amount. However, I don't like the limited inclination. I want something better that rise further like other elliptical machines. Overall very easy workout.

I like that Bowflex is very good quality, and also the brand is popular that it isn't too expensive for my taste. It is an amazing elliptical machine and I'm very fond of it. However, I know that people shouldn't be so comfortable while working out but I think the machine should incorporate the comfort. Also, I wish it was more easy the first time I use the elliptical machine and the process of it. Setting it up is a bit hard. But after the first use makes it so much more easy and I like the machine for that reason. It's a nice machine overall.

My Bowflex elliptical machine keeps track of miles and is a great workout to be able to do at home without leaving. I also like the color of the machine. There are not too many machines like this one. It took a while to set it up but I had all the tools to do it. It was very easy once you could read the instructions. It was all great for what I needed to do. If there was anything to complain about it was the feel of the handle. I did not like them that much. But it's good to have at home.

Bowflex is easy to use. Been using for a year and noticed big changes. Operating is a breeze. Using video exercises is great fun and fun is best for losing weight all around. Gives me a real good work out for the money. Great features, fun video I use to exercise with and diet plan along with the Bowflex is best for best results. Change up is also easy. Storage under the bed would be nice. It's a fold up but still takes a decent amount of space. Basic under the bed storage would be perfect for the all in all.

The Bowflex elliptical machine shows my heart rate and a certain pace I'm keeping. It also has a fan. One of the things I highly like that it has a timer. And while I'm using it, it highers the endurance as you go. One thing I would like them to improve is setting up the machine, it was very hard edging it up. When I first got it, there were several different pieces and I couldn't figure it out so I had to get help from my boyfriend.

The Bowflex is pretty easy to set up since I don't take it down but changing the weight is easy enough to do. All you have to do is unhook the little metal hooks and hook them to a different weight set that makes it great to do. The weight levels are from beginner to advanced so I can lift differently depending if I feel worn out or if I'm up to a very bad aggressive workout are what I like. However, it's big and not easy to store. I have it in the basement so I can't really work out as long as I want because I have to come upstairs for water to drink or check in the kids. If I could break it down easier and set it up in my living room that would work much better. I wish I could have better cardio but overall, it's great.

The Bowflex is quite easy to use. I just get on, clip on a heart rate monitor and set the workout I want to use with the specific difficulty level or set the workout length that I'd like to use for that particular day. I like how the feet grips feel on my legs and I like how many different exercise settings there are to fit different daily needs. The hand grips are also flexible and at a comfortable angle for movement. But I also have hand grips if I don't want to work my arms that day. But I wish there was somewhere to set a phone or tablet to watch Netflix or even a stand for me to rest a book for reading. Sometimes music can get monotonous and not distracting enough when it gets hard.

I like the soft hand grips and the color that my Bowflex machine is. Mine also has various speeds which I really like. It's pretty simple and easy. I keep it stored in my spare room and have it set up all the time so when I want to use it, it's always ready. This way, when I need it... there's no assembly time for me. However, it would be nice to track readings. Maybe have a digital readout that keeps track of what I do everyday so I can compare. Other than that, I really enjoy my machine.

I like that Bowflex tracks my progress. I enjoy the feature of controlling resistance and speed. I can change those features with a click. I love the slim design and that it is easy to set up. The pedals flow easily and I do not have to over reach at the farthest point out on the handle. The 14-minute workout is best for me multiple times a day. However, I would like a dual use machine. One that comes as a secondary method of working out. I would like if it had an alarm or timer to remind you when you want to work out. But overall, it has a dependable quality and performance.

Bowflex is easy to use as you basically only have to get on it and go. It is a basic machine that meets the need of the entire family. It's bulky but does its job. It squeaks a lot basically because of age. Will probably replace in the next year or so.

The Bowflex Max Trainer was very easy to set up initially. I just really wish it wasn't so heavy! Kinda hurts my back sometimes to use it. Oh, and people look at me crazy when I'm carrying down the the street for 14 minutes everyday. Luckily I can do my workout in less that fourteen minutes a day. This machine is very easy to use! I mean come on! It's a Bowflex!! It has an ultimate 14 minute workout, and it fits my busy schedule. I work a lot so I don't have much time to work out. But I can use it anytime of the day. Very quiet. So, the Elliptical Bowflex Max Trainer is ideal for my busy work schedule. Absolutely worth the money you are gonna spend on it.

The process of setting up the Bowflex is fairly easy because all I have to do is unlock it from its closed position and lay it down. Operating it is like riding a bike. It is easy to use and has four levels of resistance. It has perfect spacing for my height and I have never had a problem with it. I love it so much! I just don't like how far it goes forward or backward. Sometimes, I feel as though my legs are going to split. But I like the way it moves.

Setting up Bow Flex was a bit easy but also a bit frustrating. Also takes up more space than I'd like, but I still enjoy using it. Wished it were a bit smaller that way when I do have to move it, I don't have to wait for someone to be home to help me move it. I use the product for general fitness. I am an avid runner, and in respectable shape, but the Max Trainer is very difficult to operate, even on a resistance level of zero. However, it’s a wonderful piece of equipment that can be used at various fitness levels. We were so pleased that we recommended to a friend and she purchased the M7 for Christmas & has started her family's road to better health.

The machine was delivered to my home. The price was too high considering the fact that other companies have similar products at lower prices. But the product was really easy to set up with minimal tools and knowledge and the instructions were easy to read and understand.. Bowflex is good for beginners but will also challenge an avid fitness buff. It has a low impact on the knees and it is very user-friendly no matter what level you exercise at.

What I like about the Bowflex is its ease of use, no jerky motions. It does not put any strain on my knee and works my entire body and not just one area like some machines can do. I would like if it had an integrated timer, just so I can keep an accurate log of my work out times. But it's a great machine that was easy to learn to use, my kids even use it when they are bored at times. And it folds up really small so it can be moved out of the way quite quickly and easily.

I did a lot of research prior to purchasing Bowflex. I like the 9 pre-programmed workouts for longer sessions, this allows me to do different workouts on different days depending on my level of energy I have to work out. I like having the heart rate monitor to measure my heart rate. With it being Bluetooth compatible, I am able to sync different workouts with my different workout sessions. With the 16 resistance levels, I can switch seamlessly to the intensity I desire. It has a smooth gliding experience and the display is nice and easy to read.

The only thing I would have liked better is if it came a little more assembled or had the option to purchase it fully assembled. Had to assemble it in the area downstairs since it would have been too heavy to carry downstairs once it was assembled. The area was cold and dark so it wasn't that enjoyable. The instructions were easy to follow but the assembly process was long and frustrating at times. It was somewhat difficult to set up, however, once it was all put together, it has been fantastic.

Expert Review

Mark BarrosoHealth and Fitness Contributing Editor

Mark Barroso is an editor, writer and researcher who has been featured in various print and online publications including Fitness Magazine, Muscle & Fitness, Men’s Fitness, Muscle & Fitness Hers, FLEX, Spartan Race and Tough Mudder. A fitness enthusiast who practices what he preaches, Barroso enjoys researching and testing the latest fitness trends including classes and products.    More about Mark→

Bowflex has developed complex and effective machines in the strength training category for decades and recently launched the Bowflex Max Trainer series. The Bowflex Treadclimber targets a specific audience since it’s made for walking.

• The 14-minute workout: All Bowflex Max Trainer models start a 14-minute interval workout with the push of a button. The Bowflex Max Trainer is shaped like an elliptical or strider, has moving handles and activates the upper body as well as the legs. The Smart Max Interval option automatically adjusts the resistance and speed of the machine based on your customized preferences.
  • Apple Health Kit/Google Fit: Workout data on the Bowflex Max Trainer and Treadclimber syncs via Bluetooth to Apple Health Kit, Google Fit, MyFitnessPal and Bowflex Connect.
  • Low impact workout is easier on the knees: Those with knee injuries will be able to exercise effectively using the Bowflex Treadclimber. The maximum speed is 4.5mph.
  • Compact designs: Both the Max Trainer and Treadclimber are highly compact, lightweight machines. Every assembled Max Trainer weighs less than 150 pounds.
  • Best for People who want to lose weight, people recovering from injuries

Compare Fitness Equipment