Bowflex

Compare Fitness Equipment

Research top Fitness Equipment recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Bowflex is a great machine. It does everything I want it to do and I would not get any other machine. In fact I would tell everyone to get one. It is very easy to set up and it has a light for night time use. I love that you can pick your speed and you can put in your weight. I also love how you can pick your incline. It tells you how many miles you have gone and it keeps track day after day.

Bowflex helps me tone all areas of my body and it tells me how many calories I am actually burning and my heart rate. It helps me to keep my weight down and it also helps me reach my goals. Really wouldn't improve nothing because I like all the features but if I had to change anything about it it would be the manual courses I have to do to burn calories because some of them you have to do a whole hour to accomplish your goal. You have to say how many calories you want to burn then select the course you want to use. Once you selected the course it will increase the resistance you be going to do as you go and the longer you do it the better the results.

I liked Bowflex treadmill's speeds and incline features. I have bad knees so I needed sometimes low impact and easy to walk on with various speeds depending on how my legs felt at the time and this worked very well. I had it set up for me and operating it was super easy, just pushing buttons lol. Really don't get much easier than that. Set speed, set incline if I wanted to then just walk. The only issues I really had with it was a space killer. Nevertheless, I loved using this machine.

I regret that I bought M3 based on company reputation but it has totally disappointed me. Since its installation M3 is constantly annoying by loud squeaking noise from pedals, arms, cheap unreadable console and vibrations. Called several times and their agents on phone asked me to do disassembly, lubrication on this almost brand new machine, swap arms and pedals only to waste hours of time but no result. I would never believe on their agents instructions and technicians who know nothing to fix their machines and don't like to admit that M3 is a disaster. After couple of troubleshooting sessions machine is now safety hazard as it start swinging on sideways, will not recommend.

My Bowflex is very easy exercise equipment. I like the swing bar because it allows me to get the full exercise that I need and I break a sweat almost every time and it's liberating and is focus needed equipment. Kudos. But the speed is too slow on the treadmill and I wish I could get it faster and I wish I would have bought a better brand and it has everything I need except the speed throttle switch is going out. It's a foldable treadmill, very easy to setup and it can fit through any door. Very accessible. It's a pretty good treadmill.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bowflex?

My Bowflex is easy to set up and use and is better than getting into your car and driving to a gym and spending money on the gym. It is nice to be able to work out at home and go at it at your own pace and not have to worry about sanitation or wiping it down after another. It pays for itself after a few months or uses depends on how much you use it. I like all features that are on the machine. As long as you follow a regimen and instructions you have no problems. Priced reasonable, reliable, space saving and easy setup. People who sold it was very knowledgeable and the shipping was fast. I can take it out and use it within the hour and put it back and you don't even know I have no me stored. Absolutely love it.

It is very easy to use. I get on it, step on the side bars and turn it on then I start walking. I like that it goes up high so it's like I'm walking up a hill and does not look that unattractive in my living room space. I like that I can change the speed of the treadmill as I go and it has a screen of maps and courses so it's like I'm outside. I like that I can raise it up to make more resistance and I can set time limits. I also like the price I paid for it. I like that it fits in the corner of my room but it is a rather large machine and there's no way to hide it when guests come over. In addition, sometimes it takes a while for the courses to come up on the screen as well. And the only thing that worries me is the safety of if a small child can turn it on and get hurt on it. But other than that, I love it for the most part.

I have never been more disappointed in a product in my life. I spent $3500.00 on this Treadclimber TC5500 thinking I was buying quality and that it would last many years. It was only used by one person and definitely not abused. After a few years I had to replace the motor and that was faulty, replaced that in 30 days. Then it worked about 6 months and this motor died. I give up Iam throwing this piece of junk in the trash. Never will I buy any Bowflex product again and I will be sure to tell everyone I know not to purchase their products either.

With my Bowflex treadmill, I like the ease in which speed is controlled. Also it is smooth and does not stress my joints. However, the price is outrageous and that makes it really unaffordable. And the grips on the handles get slippery when you sweat on them. I would like for their to be some sort of timer on the treadmill. Also, I was watching the set-up as it was being done and it seems as though it was somewhat complicated. I am glad I had someone else do it for me. Nonetheless, the treadmill is good for my endurance. It is also very easy to use and to store away. I was satisfied.

I have a Bowflex treadclimber and at first I really didn't like it. It was awkward and hard to use. I was really worried. The second time I used it I slowed down the speed and worked on getting the feel for the machine. On a treadmill I always walk at about 4.5 MPH. So I set this machine initially to 4.0 MPH. That is much, much too fast for a beginner but I got used to it and lost a lot of weight ever since I got it. This model only goes to 4.0 mph. This speed will be met very quickly if you are doing a weekly workout regime. But 4mph is all that I really need to get up to anyways to start burning some calories.

It's easy to setup and use. It has only 2 or 3 main parts one can easily see using the pictures and manual. Its a great product but there are other machines that are faster and help you burn more calories. Because of the increased chances of hitting the motionless sides, you must FOCUS on the treadles constantly, if you are to get the best work-out - which means NOT holding onto the side bars. It is discouraging and distracting to be staring at the belt for the entire workout but its still very effective for weight loss overall if you use it everyday.

I like Bowflex's dual sided treadmill that can be used to simulate stairs as well as skiing etc. It has the ability to go to extreme incline or decline and high speeds for running plus it is made out of a great high quality material. It’s very easy to set up with very little assembly required. I had it shipped to me, pulled it out of the box and placed it where I wanted it then assembled the plastic parts like cup holder etc. I love my treadmill and I would buy it over again.

Bowflex is from a brand that is featured and had great machines for working out. I can’t recall a better machine company than this one. You can trust that this brand has all that you are looking for in a workout machine. But I do not like how the machine pinches my finger when I am holding onto it and I would like to see an improvement that makes it incline for. If they make it incline then that would make a better workout. I think the machine is extremely easy to use and it can be adapted into many other different machine formations. The directions were easy to use I was able to put it together without any problems or mistakes.

Bowflex is the leading brand in exercise equipment and I wanted the very best exercise machine without having to go to the gym. The Bowflex Max Trainer M5 is in the middle of complexity with one bike less complex and the other being more complex. I determined this was the best bike for me because I wanted to be able to graduate to a more difficult piece of equipment. It is easy to set up, already assembled, just needed to program the screen, and determine where in the world you would like to train. You can determine your pace and level of difficulty. You can ride based on terrain anywhere in the world and it has low to no impact compared to other brands, only need 14 minutes a day to achieve maximum results. I just wish it could be collapsible when needed. I also wish that the screen could be upgraded to include more complex terrain.

I have a Bowflex exercise bike and a couple other brands in the past. I've had my Bowflex forever. I put everything I own through hell because I move a lot and have children. So anything that is durable enough to last over ten years works for me. I dislike nothing about this bike, and that's the reason I bought this one. Everyone always buys the newest stuff and swears it's easy but to me it's not. I'm getting older so having equipment that is easy to use is great and anything that I can keep up with and understand is fabulous. It's pricey but you get what you pay for and I feel like that was worth it in the end. It's a heavy machine but it's easy to store as well and set up. It's simple and I have a lot going on so it fits right into my crazy lifestyle.

Generally Bowflex is easy to set up but it also depends on type of machine you buy & all that it does. I find it hard at first but as I work myself up with resistance it becomes easier. But for elderly or someone disabled I imagine it would be hard. But I would like to see exercise equipment made to help with these individuals so they can continue to live a healthy lifestyle. The bike I have is of good quality, decently priced, good trusted name & many to choose from & styles. It gives the capability to adjust your resistance of what you need to work yourself up or down. However, they should lower price a little, and maybe a little easier exercises machines for someone who wants to exercise.

We had to take each part out when we set up the Bowflex and read the instructions and put the screws together. We had to start at the big part of the bike and work our way to the bottom and the pedals. Timer shows how many miles you are going and it also uses batteries . And it gives you up to 10 levels to use, and the last level is the hardest level to use. The price of the item was too high but other than the price, it is worth it. It should have been lower but it is a good item to use at your home at your own time and also at your own.

I really like that the Bowflex bike has different intensity/resistance settings. It also keeps track of my calorie burning and "distance" biked. It is a recumbent bike, so it is easier on my butt to sit on a wider seat. Set up and daily use were very easy as parts of the bike do not need to be disassembled when not in use. I just hop on, adjust my settings, and go! However, the pedals could be more comfortable and bigger. My feet have a tendency to slip off of the pedals when biking at a higher resistance. I also wish the calorie counter was more accurate, and I was able to input my starting weight for more accurate calculations.

My wife and I are in our early 70's. We are both heart patients and our Dr tells us we need to exercise. Contacted Bowflex of course they can help us. We ordered Bowflex tread climber. I ordered it with assembly and 5 year extra warranty $250.00 for assembly. Ordered 1/27/17. Long story over the entire month of February the machine never worked. The serviceman worked on it 3 times. Said never had one not even work out of the box! Finally called corporate. They agreed to send a new unit. The first time we were able to try it was 3/6/2017. My wife said, "This thing is terrible. I was able to use it for 6 minutes before I was exhausted." The machine is not for older people with health issues. So I tried it for the last 10 days and I've decided to return it!!!

Now I was told it will cost another $250.00 plus shipping to send it back. So far it going to cost me $500.00 for in and out plus shipping at least $125.00. So much for our 30 day FREE trial. Buyer BEWARE. Half hour assembly less to disassemble. They charge like lawyers!!! Wait everything they do has been tested by lawyers so they know how to rip you off and still say "I'm sorry you feel that way." What they really mean is STUPID SUCK IT UP AND PAY!!! So I will and maybe someone who reads this might be spared this agony and frustration and EXPENSE. We're going to go for a walk. LOL.

I like the durability and quality of the Bowflex bike. It is also very easy to set up. It takes up very little space and I can store the bike in a closet if I need extra space for some reason. The bike has many different functions and is very easy to operate and take care of. I have used the bike for a few years now and never had any issues when riding it. It is very sturdy. Bowflex has a great customer service if any problems would arise.

The Bowflex bike is very durable and of good quality. The computer controlled adjustments are easy to use and the Bluetooth capabilities allow for easy non-hand use. The use of the bike is easy on the joints. The hardest part would have to be the setup and all other parts that needed to be fixed were quickly and easily ordered. The company also has a good warranty option and I trust the company to provide excellent service. The bike is still in good condition.

My Bowflex exercise bike is easy to use, great comfort and easy to pedal. Easy to operate on all levels. Wouldn't change it for no other on the market... anyone looking for a bike like this should definitely purchase one. I like the comfort of sitting on the pad. It doesn't irritate your middle while working out on it. Everything works perfectly well... no complaints on my end. They did a great job building this bike... I would definitely recommend this bike to all my family, friends, co-workers as well as my boss to purchase and use for health purposes.

Bowflex is very easy to set up and use. Also operating is a very easy thing to do as well and it is one I for sure would recommend. I can get a great workout that makes me feel great about my body and also it has high intensity so that also makes me feel like I should challenge myself to keep going even more.

Now that the bicycle has already been set up the operation of it is definitely satisfactory. It is very easy to use and setting up was not difficult at all. The Bowflex max exercise bike is pretty awesome and there is not any features I dislike but if I had to be critical about something, they should add a feature such an air condition. Other than that, I like the titanium metal it is made of and the control features. It also comes with a heart rate monitor chest strap that I find pretty cool. The toe clips does a great job keeping my feet in place as I am cycling too.

I have had Max trainer M3 machine for around 1 year. I cannot go 6 weeks without the plastic parts breaking. The screws continually would loose falling into the fan and the plastic part that holds on the fan belt has broken twice. My husband has replaced the screws in this machine for the 6th time this morning. I am becoming all too familiar with the sound of screws falling into the fan... Is anyone else having this problem. I have 5 other workout machines and have always felt they were good quality but by saving a few dollars by making the parts plastic instead of metal has me questioning if I will ever buy from Bowflex again.

Bowflex M5 Max Trainer is awesome. Quite a workout. It could use more profiles but it is not important enough to go to the extra expense of the M7. I don't think 15 min a day is really enough but you do work up quite a sweat.

My mom was very generous and ordered me a Bowflex Treadclimber for Christmas. She decided it would make more sense to call over the phone to place the order to discuss scheduling the in-home assembly. The woman she spoke to wrote down the completely wrong address, so the machine went to the wrong house in another town. After seeing that the items were "delivered" in the tracking email and I had not received the machine, my mom called the customer service line.

They tried to blame FedEx for shipping it to the wrong house even after reciting the complete incorrect address to my mom. She had to repeat it at least 5x before they rewrote it correctly. They've done nothing to try and get the machine back from the people who blatantly took it and didn't report a machine being incorrectly delivered to their home, which I'm pretty sure is grand larceny, and it's taken almost a month for my mom to get her money back.

She had to call again for a third time today since no one has kept her up to date and they made it seem like she fell off their radar. She spent close to $2000 and they haven't offered a new machine or even let her know when she might get the money and let people steal the machine. I will NEVER recommend Bowflex and I have told anyone I can her story so that they will not buy from them. I have never seen such classless and inconsiderate customer service in my life. Absolutely deplorable.

The machine is high quality, it fits easily into the space I need. It is easy to use and program and Bowflex is a name you can trust. They can send someone to set it up. A little pricey but if you time it right you can get discounts on shipping.

I ordered a Bowflex max trainer M7 and paid to have it put together. On their website it is mentioned that you will receive a phone call from 1 to 3 days when the machine LEAVES the warehouse not when you receive it. Well not so, this thing sat in my garage and I was tired of having it there in my way so I took it in myself and put it together (BY THE WAY FOLKS IT'S QUITE EASY TO PUT TOGETHER) then I received the call from Nautilus which owned Bowflex.

I said that I put it together myself that I was tired to have this thing sitting in my garage so I assembled it myself, and they cancelled the potential appointment and kept my $159.00 to put it together just like that. "No worries we don't abide by what we say on the website and then when you cancel we keep your money simple as that." People the machine is fine but for ripping me off Bowflex Nautilus and keeping my money I give you 1 star and letting other people know NEVER EVER EVER TO PAY TO HAVE IT ASSEMBLED BY PROBABLY A MICKEY MOUSE OUTFIT. It's not that hard to put together and Nautilus offers that service ONLY to make money.

My max trainer broke down seven weeks ago. Called Nautilus. They sent us a belt. The belt does not fit. I called them back. They said, "Oh we're sorry we sent you the wrong bill." So they sent us another belt that did not fit as well so they sent us a third out. By now we are on week six without an exercise machine. I called them back and said that of the belts that I want a technician to come out here free of charge because they were going to charge me almost $200 for someone to come out. It's been a week. I emailed them and ask them where my tech was. They said they would get a hold of them right away. I got an email three days later stating, "Thank you for your inquiry. Someone will contact you in two business days to set up a day and time." Really? I have to wait another three days on top of the seven weeks I've already had to wait.

I really wish I could chop this machine up into 1000 pieces and mail it back to the corporation and tell him what a piece of ** they are and so is their useless machine that has been sitting dead. It'll be eight weeks now. Do not buy anything from Nautilus Bowflex. Nothing the customer service is the worst on this planet. They don't care. I'll tell you they care but they don't care. You'll be out a machine for at least seven day weeks before you can fix it. Avoid Bowflex and Nautilus at all cost. Buy something from Walmart or Sears. Job better customer service and a better quality of machine. Again buyer beware. Stay away from Nautilus and Bowflex because they are the worst company ever. Do not purchase anything.

I ordered the new Bowflex M5 trainer & had it delivered to my home on Monday Dec 5th. I paid the extra to have the machine built for me at my home. I waited until Thursday & then contacted Bowflex to find out when I would be notified to have it built so I can try it out... I was advised they contact in 3 days after it's delivered & if I didn't hear I should call & was provided with a number. I contacted Bowflex again on Monday this week as it was a week & still nobody contacted me & I am now a week with my machine & can't try it out. I was advised they are opening a case for me & I should get a call...

I am not the 14th of Dec... My machine sits in my garage in a box & still not put together. I feel Bowflex is all about selling their equipment & charging a pretty price also for the machine & setup & no follow through. If I don't hear from them today I am arranging to have the machine sent back for a full refund & God help them if I have to involve my lawyer about a costly return fee.

Expert Review

Mark BarrosoHealth and Fitness Contributing Editor

Mark Barroso is an editor, writer and researcher who has been featured in various print and online publications including Fitness Magazine, Muscle & Fitness, Men’s Fitness, Muscle & Fitness Hers, FLEX, Spartan Race and Tough Mudder. A fitness enthusiast who practices what he preaches, Barroso enjoys researching and testing the latest fitness trends including classes and products.    More about Mark→

Bowflex has developed complex and effective machines in the strength training category for decades and recently launched the Bowflex Max Trainer series. The Bowflex Treadclimber targets a specific audience since it’s made for walking.

• The 14-minute workout: All Bowflex Max Trainer models start a 14-minute interval workout with the push of a button. The Bowflex Max Trainer is shaped like an elliptical or strider, has moving handles and activates the upper body as well as the legs. The Smart Max Interval option automatically adjusts the resistance and speed of the machine based on your customized preferences.
  • Apple Health Kit/Google Fit: Workout data on the Bowflex Max Trainer and Treadclimber syncs via Bluetooth to Apple Health Kit, Google Fit, MyFitnessPal and Bowflex Connect.
  • Low impact workout is easier on the knees: Those with knee injuries will be able to exercise effectively using the Bowflex Treadclimber. The maximum speed is 4.5mph.
  • Compact designs: Both the Max Trainer and Treadclimber are highly compact, lightweight machines. Every assembled Max Trainer weighs less than 150 pounds.
  • Best for People who want to lose weight, people recovering from injuries

Compare Fitness Equipment