3.56/5
Based on 131 reviews that contain star ratings

140 Bowflex Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

The treadmill allows me to get a good cardiovascular workout indoors which is important in Northeast USA where I live that has cold and snow winters and several rainy days the rest of the year. Also it easily measures and monitors my progress. I purchased the service to set it up making the set up easy. I also find it easy to use as the instructions are very clear, well organized and logical. Further the machine operates in an intuitive manner plus help is available if I have issues or questions. But, it was quite expensive given my limited means and takes up a lot of space in my family room preventing me from using it for other things and it’s not very decorative for when I have guests.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

The Bowflex treadmill is very easy to use. You just hop on and select your level. It has multiple fitness programs you can choose to follow, 10 incline levels, and 10 speed buttons. It also has a built-in fan. It also folds up so it will take up less room when not in use. However, it can be a little shaky when you run fast on it. It's not enough to be scary but makes you wonder how sturdy it really is. It also makes me wonder about the quality. Furthermore, it's very heavy and it is not easy to take apart and put back together. If you plan on moving, it's a pain to disassemble and move.

Get expert buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

This is a very good treadmill because it is easy on the feet while running. It has a nice bounce to the material it is made out of and is actually comfortable to run. on. However, I dislike the loud noise and how it takes up a lot of room in the house. When someone is exercising, you can hear the treadmill in the other room of the house and it is kind of annoying. But other than that, this Bowflex treadmill is easy to use. Just turn it on to the settings you want and start running. I also like the safety feature on the treadmill. If you were to be running too fast and cannot stop, you can easily hit the emergency stop button and it will automatically slow down.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

The incline feature allows me to work on my calves for a great workout that benefits my entire body without having to leave my home. That's what I call a safe work out. It is easy to use, your normal turn on turn off options. However, I wish there would've been more options to it. I am satisfied with the current room right now. Now something more like more speed faster but a timer would be nicer. Also, better deck belt so it wouldn't feel like I'm on bare floor so my lower back wouldn't hurt. Better quality of the lever covering it would be better, too.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Like the speed adjustment and incline features, also like that it has a heart rate monitor and timer and pulse rate monitor, and the softness of the impact padding on the track. But make it lighter and more compact for easy storage or having to move when not using. Also should be more kid friendly so it can be used to supplement an exercise routine for younger users. Shop around and make sure you get what you want for the price you can afford, this specific treadmill is not cheap or cheaply built. Try the manufacturer's website or a retailer website to compare prices and availability.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bowflex?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I ordered it, it showed up quickly, and I followed the instructions to set it up in a timely manner. All in all it is easy to operate and maintain. I love everything about it. It is the perfect size, color, shape, and isn't too loud. It includes several things such as an option to incline, you can easily change the speed, it also has a heart rate monitor to monitor your heart rate. It is easy to use, no matter what age you are. It helps me achieve my goals to the fullest capabilities. It is great.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I like the 11 pre-programmed workouts, the upwards of a 15% incline, app sync abilities, bluetooth capability, as well as the overall appearance and ease of use. I would like to increase the number of pre-programmed workouts to approximately 20, including training options that are more suited to my interests. Overall, it is extremely easy to use, and it provides a variety of options sure to be nice for the majority of individuals seeking to purchase a new treadmill. Plus, the built in speakers and overall appearance make it a valuable option in the home.

Original review: July 30, 2018

This treadmill is easy to use and has a lot of settings. You can set your speed and pace to however you want and it has intervals too. Setting up and operating is very easy, just make sure to plug the treadmill in and you can start immediately by pressing quick start. However, I wish this machine would be more child friendly, meaning it should have more safety features in case someone's child tries to play with it. For example maybe it should be able to sense weight and have an auto shut off. Nonetheless, this is a great product.

Original review: July 29, 2018

The features I like about the treadmill I chose was because of the styles and I heard great things about it. I got a lot of recommendations and I love it. It is very easy to use. All I have to do is plug the machine in, put the clip on my shirt and plug that in too. Then I turn it on and get to walking, jogging then running as fast as I can. Overall it's a great machine to me. I don't think I would have been more satisfied with another brand.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I like every feature of my Bowflex treadmill. It's my favorite color and it's not too small or big. It's easy to handle and move around. And I like the different speed I'm able to use while either running or walking. It has many settings and I'm able to record my progress so my data wouldn't be lost. When operating the treadmill they have a automated assistant that would be helpful to someone who wants to take a run in the privacy of their own home. The Bowflex treadmill also talks to me and encourages me to finish my run. But I don't like that it's loud and I wish it was quieter. Despite that, this treadmill is a great exercise tool for cardio workout. It is fun to use, it is very easy to work with and is very comfortable. It was also very affordable. I have a 2 year warranty.

Original review: July 25, 2018

It's easy to manipulate and set up. There's in home assembly financing options and even a protection plan that I subscribe to. I like that it shows speed, distance, time and calories. I like that it measures heart rate and there's a built in phone charger. Also there's a water bottle holder. It is a perfectly running machine and if there is anything I would change it would be the color.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Treadmill is simple enough to put together and offers a professional to install at home, just takes opening it up and the tread is already set up inside. It also brings other add ons. It is simple to use and shows results, easy to understand the running modes and speeds, adjusts to your adequate speed and will help you reach your goal weight. However, it is not updated enough with the newest technology features, no touchscreens, not enough sound features, makes too much noise when using or running and turns off slow.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I bought an older model so I didn't have much to worry about once it was delivered to my doorstep. Setting the treadmill was quite easy actually, standard, out the box and I didn't have to set much up. The unit was cheaper but worth it, definitely last. I never had an issue so I actually respect it even though it is a cheaper model, I couldn't afford the higher one. However it does need some upgrades and a good phone app. They have a lot of newer options but should add upgrades and such forth for the new technology for people with the older models like myself.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Bought an Elliptical Machine and from delivery day this was a nightmare! The shipping company left it on my narrow hallway the day before shipping date. I paid for the machine to be put together and they never showed up! They didn't even have the decency to call to inform and me that they were not coming! I cancelled my bank payment and now that I want to return the machine, I have to pay shipping!!! Not to mention they charged me shipping to begin with, after they told me over the phone that shipping was free! They tried to convince me to keep the machine but, I will never do that. I much rather pay the shipping than deal with this company again. Stay away from them, they are the worst!!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I just want to warn anyone that thinks about buying a TreadClimber. I have one, and for a grand total of 7 weeks it was great. Well, I started having motor control board errors non-stop, which shut the machine down suddenly from full speed to zero. I called in since it's new to see what they could do since it's still under warranty. They said they'd send me a PDF with detailed directions on how to take the machine apart. I'm a disabled veteran, four back surgeries in my rear view, all service connected. Not only did they want me to take the machine apart, but lay it on its side. All this to take pictures so they won't have to send a crew out for warranty work. I asked why diagnostics are not covered under the warranty, no answer.

If I don't take the machine apart, pick it up, lay it on its side, and take the pictures, I was told they would send someone out to do the first step in most warranty work for any product on the market for a low price of $200. That's just to get them out for a machine seven weeks old. Don't buy from Bowflex, their warranty is no good. If they won't do a simple diagnostic, the first step in any warranty work, it blows. $2000 for a paperweight. I'm filing with the BBB over this, and I'll file reviews everywhere I can, and put out the same info everywhere.

Original review: April 13, 2018

The order confirmation promised delivery within 30 days. When you contact Bowflex after 30 days having not received the ordered product as promised, Bowflex insists to their customer that "30 days" means 30 business days, not 30 calendar days. That is most certainly a novel position for a business to take. Every other business refers to business days as business days.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Bought TreadClimber directly from Bowflex and they charge premium price, it was delivered broken. Called the call center, they refuse to replace it. Now I am stuck with a broken machine. Feel like lost $3000. I wish I had used Amazon. Avoid Bowflex at all costs, you will end up wasting your money.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I ordered the Bowflex dumbbell set. Then I changed my mind and wanted the other set. The customer service rep told me my order from the first set would be canceled. I found out for on my bank they already processed the check I sent them for the first order. Customer service told me I had to wait 30 days to get my money back. Then I already sent them another check for the new order. It’s been 30 days I still haven’t received what I already paid for and they have my new check on a 14 day hold in order they send my product out. But they still haven’t sent me back the money they already taken out of my bank account already. This is a bad company. I wish I should have just gotten it off Amazon.com at least Amazon would have refund my money by now. I am considering legal action.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I love the way it just works really well for me. Its appearance is also very cute and I love it. It serves its purpose and more. It has not disappointed me at all not even once so I really enjoy it and will never get rid of it. I had someone come set it up for me, my neighbor. I was watching though a little bit and it seemed kind of difficult but maybe he did not know what he was doing. Very easy to navigate and very trustworthy. Customer service can be a little better though but that is OK. Overall it is such a great experience.

Original review: July 25, 2017

The Bowflex Max Trainer records and stores your progress, makes exercise fun, and it’s a great quality for the price. It’s the best piece of equipment I’ve ever owned! It’s nearly perfect, but one minor complaint would be the initial setup is a bit time consuming, but nothing too major. It’s not difficult to set up though. But once everything was programmed in it was easy to use! The product is still 1000% worth it! Perfection, highly recommend!

Original review: July 23, 2017

I love how smoothly Bowflex runs in comparison to my previous elliptical machine, which made it hard on the legs to move. I haven’t had sore legs from merely five minutes of workout time with the Bowflex due to the adjustable fitness levels. It is very easy to use, setting up the machine took just myself and twenty spare minutes and I am not very tech savvy so getting it to run on my own says a lot about the level of ease. But I dislike the appearance of it as it is too large and misshapen to fit in my basement. My previous machine, although lower quality, was smaller and fit perfect in my basement corner with enough room for my other equipment.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Bowflex is the brand of elliptical that I got. I tried lots of brands in the store and I talked to many people before purchasing an elliptical for myself. I know a lot of people that have Bowflex elliptical and they are very happy using them and recommended them to me. This brand is reliable and has a lot of features that I am fond of which made me choose it, such as a place to put an iPad while I am on the elliptical. It is a great brand and I would definitely recommend it to any people who are considering buying an elliptical or any sort of exercise machine for themselves or their family members.

But I struggled a lot setting up the elliptical and this is the aspect of purchasing a Bowflex elliptical that I was the most apprehensive about because I have never put an exercise machine together before. I had help from YouTube videos and that was how I figured it out. I also wish there were more features such as challenges uphill or springs and also the range of movement was longer for the stride on the elliptical. Generally I am happy with the brand and great elliptical overall.

Original review: July 21, 2017

The Bowflex Max Trainer is extremely easy to set up and use. Plug it in, select user and user settings, then push the Max Trainer button to begin the 14 minute workout. The machine guides you through the workout and comes with 14 days of free DailyBurn streaming videos to assist with the workout session and after the trial you can continue to subscribe for daily exercises and streaming. I like the variable resistance training and the ability to fit a harder better exercise in half the time. The exercise lasts 14 minutes but feels like I was working for an hour. But the equipment was expensive but the company gives us the ability to finance the purchase with 18 months of 0 percent interest. All in all, that was the only thing I disliked. Assembly was straightforward however if you are not mechanically inclined I would pay extra for in home assembly.

Original review: July 20, 2017

The Bowflex machine came in two piece that you put together and screw together with just 4 bolts. It required two people for set up just to hold it together while the bolts are being put in. The machine is a good one and using it is easy and fun. I find it to be a good way to increase the heart rate and start a light sweat to loosen your limbs preparing you for a good, full workout. It also folds for easy storage and is light weight, and it has been a use cardio machine that I will try continue to use for a long, long, long time.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I own a Bowflex Max Trainer M3 and am very happy with it. I got this used and have not had any real issues, I bought it off Amazon for 800 dollars and have had it for a few years now. It was difficult to get out of the box and had a lot of small screws that needed to be installed. But easy, once it is first set up. Now I have it set up in my basement and just use it twice a week and then leave. My Bowflex Max Trainer M3 has a lot of perks! It has a multitude of different settings that I use while I am working out. It is great and also has very good and exceptional programming. I like the different modes it has and I have lost some weight while using it and like the different resistance options. But a Heart rate monitor missing. I did not think that I would need one but as I continue my weight loss journey I would like to have this on my machine because it would help me gain accurate info about my weight loss and calorie burn.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I use the Bowflex Max Trainer elliptical. It comes with everything you could possibly need or want to get a great workout with diversity and stay in shape. This machine has a lot of features that make things more reliable and easy to workout. There are handle bars for you to hold on to for better balancing. This brand can become a little more pricey than others though. Otherwise it is a very durable machine that helps get you in shape fast. This machine is very easy to use and takes basic knowledge and skill. Setting it up is also very easy to understand because the setup manual is very straight to the point.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I use lots of elliptical machines and Bowflex Max Trainer is the only one that fits my need perfectly with computer controlled resistance, Bluetooth smart technology, premium grips, backlit display, target zone monitoring and a compact design that fits almost any space. I got ripped with the Max Trainer. It is the fastest, most challenging workout I ever done. It's a full body resistance machine. It's just gives you the motivation to push. This is the best elliptical machine I ever had and I have a great experience.

Original review: July 16, 2017

The Bowflex Max Trainer is easy to assemble, it took less than two hours following the directions on the manual. But it does lack DVD training unlike other Bowflex machines in the past. The Bowflex fold pretty easy for convenient storage though, plus the workout placard makes sure you never get lost in what workout you are pursuing and you are in control of your workout a lot. I also like the 8 resistance levels, which makes it easier to burn calories in a short amount of time. You get the choice to choose between two workout programs, manual and max internal. You get an heart rate monitor strap, which you can track how much calories you burned. It also allows up to 100 exercises including strength training, and cardio vascular training, multi personal hand grip, and cuffs added for flexibility and performance.

Original review: July 14, 2017

All the Bowflex features are really easy and understandable to use than I thought and if you need to you can refer back to the manual. I love having my own home gym and have my friends over to use the machine as well and we end up all saving money not going to the gym and not having to worry about wiping down the machine since we know who uses it. But setting up was a challenge since I did not have metric tools but once I got them it was easy following the directions and I am able to store the machine in the closet out of the way.

Original review: July 11, 2017

The Bowflex Max Trainer came with a free 8 week program, heart rate monitor, Bluetooth, does a full body workout, water bottle holder, has AC adapter, different user programs, great backlight display. But I dislike that it's kinda heavy and hard to move on my part but I can't be too picky considering it's an elliptical machine. Also, would be awesome if there was a fold up option of some sort. But completely easy to set up. Came with directions, followed them and got it set up in no time. Has a step for step user's manual but it's easy to use without the manual.

Bowflex expert review by Mark Barroso

Bowflex has developed complex and effective machines in the strength training category for decades and recently launched the Bowflex Max Trainer series. The Bowflex Treadclimber targets a specific audience since it’s made for walking.

• The 14-minute workout: All Bowflex Max Trainer models start a 14-minute interval workout with the push of a button. The Bowflex Max Trainer is shaped like an elliptical or strider, has moving handles and activates the upper body as well as the legs. The Smart Max Interval option automatically adjusts the resistance and speed of the machine based on your customized preferences.

• Apple Health Kit/Google Fit: Workout data on the Bowflex Max Trainer and Treadclimber syncs via Bluetooth to Apple Health Kit, Google Fit, MyFitnessPal and Bowflex Connect.

• Low impact workout is easier on the knees: Those with knee injuries will be able to exercise effectively using the Bowflex Treadclimber. The maximum speed is 4.5mph.

• Compact designs: Both the Max Trainer and Treadclimber are highly compact, lightweight machines. Every assembled Max Trainer weighs less than 150 pounds.

• Best for: People who want to lose weight, people recovering from injuries

Profile picture of Mark Barroso
Mark Barroso Health and Fitness Contributing Editor

Mark Barroso is an editor, writer and researcher who has been featured in various print and online publications including Fitness Magazine, Muscle & Fitness, Men’s Fitness, Muscle & Fitness Hers, FLEX, Spartan Race and Tough Mudder. A fitness enthusiast who practices what he preaches, Barroso enjoys researching and testing the latest fitness trends including classes and products.

Bowflex Company Information