3.38/5

Bowflex Reviews

Original review: July 25, 2019

I never ever in my entire life will EVER own a Bowflex item again. We bought a BRAND NEW treadmill in December and the running board split in half on June 12th. We called the morning after it broken and after WEEKS of waiting for someone to come fix it, and multiple appts being rescheduled, the guy came to fix it on July 9th and there was a part that had to be reordered because it wouldn't come off of the broken part of the treadmill. So this is about a month after the treadmill was broken. Bowflex offered to get us a new treadmill on that day and to come to the home and take away the broken treadmill. They ordered the new one on the 11th and we received it on the 19th. So I now have a box with a brand new treadmill in my basement as well as the other broken treadmill that is of no use to anyone in the state it is currently in.

The treadmill they were originally attempting to fix still sits in my basement not assembled and yesterday my 62 year old mother tripped over it and fell and has a good sized bruise on multiple parts of her body. When I called today all I got was a "I'm sorry, it shouldn't have been taking this long, is your mom ok?" which is literally the same thing I have been told this entire process. And is my mom ok? No she is not ok, she fell over a metal frame of treadmill landed on straight concrete and with her back and legs landing hard on the metal frame. I will tell every single person I know to avoid buying a Bowflex for the rest of my life. This is not okay and I am completely and utterly annoyed that I am still dealing with this and that Bowflex can only come back and say "sorry, it shouldn't be taking this long".

Original review: May 6, 2019

I was excited to receive my Lateral X in the mail. Once I did I set it up to find out it was broken. I wanted to return it of course. They told me it was all on me to ship it back. After running around for a week trying to find boxes and shipping material I find out it would take $700 to ship it back. I called them to say how ridiculous it was that I had to pay the shipping for a broken machine that they sent me. They then offered to have someone come pick it up for cheaper than $700. So after being super disappointed now I have to pay hundreds of dollars to return their mistake. They lost my trust.

Get expert buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I purchased this machine on 4/4/19, and it was delivered on 4/9/19. I loved the machine - for the first week. At that point, it developed a knock upon each revolution on the left side. I emailed customer service with a request for help, as I’m not able to call during their business hours. They have refused multiple times to provide any assistance via email support and require I call while next to the machine, as the issue could have multiple causes. So I paid $1,800 for a poor quality machine from a company who won’t support the consumer when their sub-par product has performance issues. Very disappointed in the whole experience. I should have given more weight to the other reviews I saw that mentioned this same problem. Now I get it. Based on the complete lack of customer service, I would not recommend purchase of this machine.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Purchased my. Made 4 payments in 2 months. Day I opened it console was faulty. Sent console, 10 day wait, new console worked but power supply plug went bad, 10 day wait so I decided to return. Then another company comes and picks it up. A guy in his personal pickup truck. Volunteers information by saying he can take to dump, keep, give away but can't sell. Bowflex charged me over 200 bucks for warranty pickup, I took out 5 year warranty for 200 bucks, they charged me 200 for a guy to keep it or take to dump when my father would have brought it to dump and it wouldn't cost me anything.

So since day 1 this cost me money and they wouldn't credit my account 200 bucks for pickup. They claimed that I paid for confirmation of return. But I recorded the return and I was clearly told it would be picked up and returned to them. Not taken to dump. I could have done that. SO IN THE END THIS TRANSACTION ALL IT DID WAS COST ME MONEY. BUYER BEWARE. Bad equipment then the rip you off in end. Calling BBB tomorrow! I had interest I paid and a return I paid for and then it went to local dump. Ripped off from day one. Shame on you Bowflex/Nautilus.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I purchased my Bowflex M7 September 2018. Everything was fine until last night when the crank arm completely broke. Now the machine is unusable. They won't cover because they're saying I purchased from an unauthorized retailer. I bought from Purchasing Power through my employer. I had no clue that the machine would one have a clean break from the metal and two that I was buying from an unauthorized retailer or that it wouldn't be covered. The handbook says 3 year warranty. The lady on the phone said I would have to pay 1056.94 but she would give me a 30% discount and free shipping. Which still comes out to be 739.86. I should no way have to come out of pocket with anything. I'm furious with them for not covering my machine and will never buy again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bowflex?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Bowflex charged me nearly $300 to deliver and install my new treadmill. I received a text confirming a 4 hour window. I took the day off to meet the time. They never made it, never called, and really didn't care. I finally got through and they said someone might be there in an hour or so... again with the expectation to inconvenience the customer. I canceled the order. Let them pay for their crappy service. There is no excuse in today's environment not to keep the waiting customer abreast of any changes. Instead, they choose to just let them wait. SHAME ON YOU!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I ordered a Bowflex stepper MX6 on January 13. It never worked. After giving be conflicting directions and spending four hours trying to fix it over the phone, which is what they expect you to do, it still didn’t work. So, they sent a repair guy to my home and enough parts to rebuild the entire machine. The repair guy made an inappropriate remark to my wife to make matters worse. So, after two weeks of this machine, I finally got to use it. About 10 days in and now the programs freeze up. I actually was able to record it with my phone. I’ll be calling bowflex tomorrow, so let’s see them put their money where their mouth is. I won’t be making another repair or taking more time off to meet their rude repair guys.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My husband and I bought the Bowflex Max Trainer M5 and paid for Bowflex's setup services. However, after using it for <10 times, the sensor stopped working and we couldn't use the machine. My husband called customer support and they walked him through the steps of fixing it, which took several hours. We used it maybe 10x more and the sensor stopped working again. This time they're sending us a new sensor, which we'll need to spend more time and energy to fix. No product should break this often when brand new and barely used - this is absolutely ridiculous. We can't return it as it's past the return date so we're stuck with having to buy the extended 5-year warranty or lose all the money we paid for it when it breaks again. Because we used their setup services, I know that this issue is not related to trying to set up the machine ourselves.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I ordered a Bowflex treadmill on 11/30/18 with a delivery date of 12/14/ 18. I am yet to receive my purchase. Customer service has changed delivery dates multiple times. I called multiple times to inquire about my delivery and customer service has been of no help. They are very inexperienced with dealing with delivery of product.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have been working out for nearly 25 years. After all these years, I have used almost every piece of equipment made by man. This Bowflex, is perhaps the worst piece of junk I have ever used. I know they say lifetime guaranteed warranty on the power rods... Ask yourself this, do you want to replace these rods every 4 to 6 weeks and then have to wait two weeks for them to show up? After a couple weeks, the rods will lose one third of their resistance. 1/3 of your movement will have no resistance whatsoever. $1,500 and now I have to replace rods this often. Please, do not buy this due to the over Sensational hype that this piece of junk receives.

The sites that you keep going to, that give glowing reviews are receiving enormous commissions, for conning you into buying this piece of crap. The materials are cheap. These glowing reviews can't be from individuals who are serious about working out. I absolutely believe that these are not real people. Every Rod that has been replaced has done the exact same thing as the previous rod. Unhooking and rehooking, different attachments to perform different exercises is cumbersome and tiring. I will say this one last time to all of you are considering Bowflex. Stop... You will be so disappointed and regret not paying attention to this review.

Bowflex expert review by Mark Barroso

Bowflex has developed complex and effective machines in the strength training category for decades and recently launched the Bowflex Max Trainer series. The Bowflex Treadclimber targets a specific audience since it’s made for walking.

• The 14-minute workout: All Bowflex Max Trainer models start a 14-minute interval workout with the push of a button. The Bowflex Max Trainer is shaped like an elliptical or strider, has moving handles and activates the upper body as well as the legs. The Smart Max Interval option automatically adjusts the resistance and speed of the machine based on your customized preferences.

• Apple Health Kit/Google Fit: Workout data on the Bowflex Max Trainer and Treadclimber syncs via Bluetooth to Apple Health Kit, Google Fit, MyFitnessPal and Bowflex Connect.

• Low impact workout is easier on the knees: Those with knee injuries will be able to exercise effectively using the Bowflex Treadclimber. The maximum speed is 4.5mph.

• Compact designs: Both the Max Trainer and Treadclimber are highly compact, lightweight machines. Every assembled Max Trainer weighs less than 150 pounds.

• Best for: People who want to lose weight, people recovering from injuries

Profile picture of Mark Barroso
Mark Barroso Health and Fitness Contributing Editor

Mark Barroso is an editor, writer and researcher who has been featured in various print and online publications including Fitness Magazine, Muscle & Fitness, Men’s Fitness, Muscle & Fitness Hers, FLEX, Spartan Race and Tough Mudder. A fitness enthusiast who practices what he preaches, Barroso enjoys researching and testing the latest fitness trends including classes and products.

Bowflex Company Information