3.40/5

149 Bowflex Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

The treadmill allows me to get a good cardiovascular workout indoors which is important in Northeast USA where I live that has cold and snow winters and several rainy days the rest of the year. Also it easily measures and monitors my progress. I purchased the service to set it up making the set up easy. I also find it easy to use as the instructions are very clear, well organized and logical. Further the machine operates in an intuitive manner plus help is available if I have issues or questions. But, it was quite expensive given my limited means and takes up a lot of space in my family room preventing me from using it for other things and it’s not very decorative for when I have guests.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

This is a very good treadmill because it is easy on the feet while running. It has a nice bounce to the material it is made out of and is actually comfortable to run. on. However, I dislike the loud noise and how it takes up a lot of room in the house. When someone is exercising, you can hear the treadmill in the other room of the house and it is kind of annoying. But other than that, this Bowflex treadmill is easy to use. Just turn it on to the settings you want and start running. I also like the safety feature on the treadmill. If you were to be running too fast and cannot stop, you can easily hit the emergency stop button and it will automatically slow down.

Get expert buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

The incline feature allows me to work on my calves for a great workout that benefits my entire body without having to leave my home. That's what I call a safe work out. It is easy to use, your normal turn on turn off options. However, I wish there would've been more options to it. I am satisfied with the current room right now. Now something more like more speed faster but a timer would be nicer. Also, better deck belt so it wouldn't feel like I'm on bare floor so my lower back wouldn't hurt. Better quality of the lever covering it would be better, too.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Like the speed adjustment and incline features, also like that it has a heart rate monitor and timer and pulse rate monitor, and the softness of the impact padding on the track. But make it lighter and more compact for easy storage or having to move when not using. Also should be more kid friendly so it can be used to supplement an exercise routine for younger users. Shop around and make sure you get what you want for the price you can afford, this specific treadmill is not cheap or cheaply built. Try the manufacturer's website or a retailer website to compare prices and availability.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I bought an older model so I didn't have much to worry about once it was delivered to my doorstep. Setting the treadmill was quite easy actually, standard, out the box and I didn't have to set much up. The unit was cheaper but worth it, definitely last. I never had an issue so I actually respect it even though it is a cheaper model, I couldn't afford the higher one. However it does need some upgrades and a good phone app. They have a lot of newer options but should add upgrades and such forth for the new technology for people with the older models like myself.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bowflex?

Original review: May 6, 2019

I was excited to receive my Lateral X in the mail. Once I did I set it up to find out it was broken. I wanted to return it of course. They told me it was all on me to ship it back. After running around for a week trying to find boxes and shipping material I find out it would take $700 to ship it back. I called them to say how ridiculous it was that I had to pay the shipping for a broken machine that they sent me. They then offered to have someone come pick it up for cheaper than $700. So after being super disappointed now I have to pay hundreds of dollars to return their mistake. They lost my trust.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I purchased this machine on 4/4/19, and it was delivered on 4/9/19. I loved the machine - for the first week. At that point, it developed a knock upon each revolution on the left side. I emailed customer service with a request for help, as I’m not able to call during their business hours. They have refused multiple times to provide any assistance via email support and require I call while next to the machine, as the issue could have multiple causes. So I paid $1,800 for a poor quality machine from a company who won’t support the consumer when their sub-par product has performance issues. Very disappointed in the whole experience. I should have given more weight to the other reviews I saw that mentioned this same problem. Now I get it. Based on the complete lack of customer service, I would not recommend purchase of this machine.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Purchased my. Made 4 payments in 2 months. Day I opened it console was faulty. Sent console, 10 day wait, new console worked but power supply plug went bad, 10 day wait so I decided to return. Then another company comes and picks it up. A guy in his personal pickup truck. Volunteers information by saying he can take to dump, keep, give away but can't sell. Bowflex charged me over 200 bucks for warranty pickup, I took out 5 year warranty for 200 bucks, they charged me 200 for a guy to keep it or take to dump when my father would have brought it to dump and it wouldn't cost me anything.

So since day 1 this cost me money and they wouldn't credit my account 200 bucks for pickup. They claimed that I paid for confirmation of return. But I recorded the return and I was clearly told it would be picked up and returned to them. Not taken to dump. I could have done that. SO IN THE END THIS TRANSACTION ALL IT DID WAS COST ME MONEY. BUYER BEWARE. Bad equipment then the rip you off in end. Calling BBB tomorrow! I had interest I paid and a return I paid for and then it went to local dump. Ripped off from day one. Shame on you Bowflex/Nautilus.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I purchased my Bowflex M7 September 2018. Everything was fine until last night when the crank arm completely broke. Now the machine is unusable. They won't cover because they're saying I purchased from an unauthorized retailer. I bought from Purchasing Power through my employer. I had no clue that the machine would one have a clean break from the metal and two that I was buying from an unauthorized retailer or that it wouldn't be covered. The handbook says 3 year warranty. The lady on the phone said I would have to pay 1056.94 but she would give me a 30% discount and free shipping. Which still comes out to be 739.86. I should no way have to come out of pocket with anything. I'm furious with them for not covering my machine and will never buy again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Bowflex charged me nearly $300 to deliver and install my new treadmill. I received a text confirming a 4 hour window. I took the day off to meet the time. They never made it, never called, and really didn't care. I finally got through and they said someone might be there in an hour or so... again with the expectation to inconvenience the customer. I canceled the order. Let them pay for their crappy service. There is no excuse in today's environment not to keep the waiting customer abreast of any changes. Instead, they choose to just let them wait. SHAME ON YOU!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I ordered a Bowflex stepper MX6 on January 13. It never worked. After giving be conflicting directions and spending four hours trying to fix it over the phone, which is what they expect you to do, it still didn’t work. So, they sent a repair guy to my home and enough parts to rebuild the entire machine. The repair guy made an inappropriate remark to my wife to make matters worse. So, after two weeks of this machine, I finally got to use it. About 10 days in and now the programs freeze up. I actually was able to record it with my phone. I’ll be calling bowflex tomorrow, so let’s see them put their money where their mouth is. I won’t be making another repair or taking more time off to meet their rude repair guys.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My husband and I bought the Bowflex Max Trainer M5 and paid for Bowflex's setup services. However, after using it for <10 times, the sensor stopped working and we couldn't use the machine. My husband called customer support and they walked him through the steps of fixing it, which took several hours. We used it maybe 10x more and the sensor stopped working again. This time they're sending us a new sensor, which we'll need to spend more time and energy to fix. No product should break this often when brand new and barely used - this is absolutely ridiculous. We can't return it as it's past the return date so we're stuck with having to buy the extended 5-year warranty or lose all the money we paid for it when it breaks again. Because we used their setup services, I know that this issue is not related to trying to set up the machine ourselves.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I ordered a Bowflex treadmill on 11/30/18 with a delivery date of 12/14/ 18. I am yet to receive my purchase. Customer service has changed delivery dates multiple times. I called multiple times to inquire about my delivery and customer service has been of no help. They are very inexperienced with dealing with delivery of product.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have been working out for nearly 25 years. After all these years, I have used almost every piece of equipment made by man. This Bowflex, is perhaps the worst piece of junk I have ever used. I know they say lifetime guaranteed warranty on the power rods... Ask yourself this, do you want to replace these rods every 4 to 6 weeks and then have to wait two weeks for them to show up? After a couple weeks, the rods will lose one third of their resistance. 1/3 of your movement will have no resistance whatsoever. $1,500 and now I have to replace rods this often. Please, do not buy this due to the over Sensational hype that this piece of junk receives.

The sites that you keep going to, that give glowing reviews are receiving enormous commissions, for conning you into buying this piece of crap. The materials are cheap. These glowing reviews can't be from individuals who are serious about working out. I absolutely believe that these are not real people. Every Rod that has been replaced has done the exact same thing as the previous rod. Unhooking and rehooking, different attachments to perform different exercises is cumbersome and tiring. I will say this one last time to all of you are considering Bowflex. Stop... You will be so disappointed and regret not paying attention to this review.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

The Bowflex treadmill is very easy to use. You just hop on and select your level. It has multiple fitness programs you can choose to follow, 10 incline levels, and 10 speed buttons. It also has a built-in fan. It also folds up so it will take up less room when not in use. However, it can be a little shaky when you run fast on it. It's not enough to be scary but makes you wonder how sturdy it really is. It also makes me wonder about the quality. Furthermore, it's very heavy and it is not easy to take apart and put back together. If you plan on moving, it's a pain to disassemble and move.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I ordered it, it showed up quickly, and I followed the instructions to set it up in a timely manner. All in all it is easy to operate and maintain. I love everything about it. It is the perfect size, color, shape, and isn't too loud. It includes several things such as an option to incline, you can easily change the speed, it also has a heart rate monitor to monitor your heart rate. It is easy to use, no matter what age you are. It helps me achieve my goals to the fullest capabilities. It is great.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I like the 11 pre-programmed workouts, the upwards of a 15% incline, app sync abilities, bluetooth capability, as well as the overall appearance and ease of use. I would like to increase the number of pre-programmed workouts to approximately 20, including training options that are more suited to my interests. Overall, it is extremely easy to use, and it provides a variety of options sure to be nice for the majority of individuals seeking to purchase a new treadmill. Plus, the built in speakers and overall appearance make it a valuable option in the home.

Original review: July 30, 2018

This treadmill is easy to use and has a lot of settings. You can set your speed and pace to however you want and it has intervals too. Setting up and operating is very easy, just make sure to plug the treadmill in and you can start immediately by pressing quick start. However, I wish this machine would be more child friendly, meaning it should have more safety features in case someone's child tries to play with it. For example maybe it should be able to sense weight and have an auto shut off. Nonetheless, this is a great product.

Original review: July 29, 2018

The features I like about the treadmill I chose was because of the styles and I heard great things about it. I got a lot of recommendations and I love it. It is very easy to use. All I have to do is plug the machine in, put the clip on my shirt and plug that in too. Then I turn it on and get to walking, jogging then running as fast as I can. Overall it's a great machine to me. I don't think I would have been more satisfied with another brand.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I like every feature of my Bowflex treadmill. It's my favorite color and it's not too small or big. It's easy to handle and move around. And I like the different speed I'm able to use while either running or walking. It has many settings and I'm able to record my progress so my data wouldn't be lost. When operating the treadmill they have a automated assistant that would be helpful to someone who wants to take a run in the privacy of their own home. The Bowflex treadmill also talks to me and encourages me to finish my run. But I don't like that it's loud and I wish it was quieter. Despite that, this treadmill is a great exercise tool for cardio workout. It is fun to use, it is very easy to work with and is very comfortable. It was also very affordable. I have a 2 year warranty.

Original review: July 25, 2018

It's easy to manipulate and set up. There's in home assembly financing options and even a protection plan that I subscribe to. I like that it shows speed, distance, time and calories. I like that it measures heart rate and there's a built in phone charger. Also there's a water bottle holder. It is a perfectly running machine and if there is anything I would change it would be the color.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Treadmill is simple enough to put together and offers a professional to install at home, just takes opening it up and the tread is already set up inside. It also brings other add ons. It is simple to use and shows results, easy to understand the running modes and speeds, adjusts to your adequate speed and will help you reach your goal weight. However, it is not updated enough with the newest technology features, no touchscreens, not enough sound features, makes too much noise when using or running and turns off slow.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Bought an Elliptical Machine and from delivery day this was a nightmare! The shipping company left it on my narrow hallway the day before shipping date. I paid for the machine to be put together and they never showed up! They didn't even have the decency to call to inform and me that they were not coming! I cancelled my bank payment and now that I want to return the machine, I have to pay shipping!!! Not to mention they charged me shipping to begin with, after they told me over the phone that shipping was free! They tried to convince me to keep the machine but, I will never do that. I much rather pay the shipping than deal with this company again. Stay away from them, they are the worst!!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I just want to warn anyone that thinks about buying a TreadClimber. I have one, and for a grand total of 7 weeks it was great. Well, I started having motor control board errors non-stop, which shut the machine down suddenly from full speed to zero. I called in since it's new to see what they could do since it's still under warranty. They said they'd send me a PDF with detailed directions on how to take the machine apart. I'm a disabled veteran, four back surgeries in my rear view, all service connected. Not only did they want me to take the machine apart, but lay it on its side. All this to take pictures so they won't have to send a crew out for warranty work. I asked why diagnostics are not covered under the warranty, no answer.

If I don't take the machine apart, pick it up, lay it on its side, and take the pictures, I was told they would send someone out to do the first step in most warranty work for any product on the market for a low price of $200. That's just to get them out for a machine seven weeks old. Don't buy from Bowflex, their warranty is no good. If they won't do a simple diagnostic, the first step in any warranty work, it blows. $2000 for a paperweight. I'm filing with the BBB over this, and I'll file reviews everywhere I can, and put out the same info everywhere.

Original review: April 13, 2018

The order confirmation promised delivery within 30 days. When you contact Bowflex after 30 days having not received the ordered product as promised, Bowflex insists to their customer that "30 days" means 30 business days, not 30 calendar days. That is most certainly a novel position for a business to take. Every other business refers to business days as business days.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Bought TreadClimber directly from Bowflex and they charge premium price, it was delivered broken. Called the call center, they refuse to replace it. Now I am stuck with a broken machine. Feel like lost $3000. I wish I had used Amazon. Avoid Bowflex at all costs, you will end up wasting your money.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I ordered the Bowflex dumbbell set. Then I changed my mind and wanted the other set. The customer service rep told me my order from the first set would be canceled. I found out for on my bank they already processed the check I sent them for the first order. Customer service told me I had to wait 30 days to get my money back. Then I already sent them another check for the new order. It’s been 30 days I still haven’t received what I already paid for and they have my new check on a 14 day hold in order they send my product out. But they still haven’t sent me back the money they already taken out of my bank account already. This is a bad company. I wish I should have just gotten it off Amazon.com at least Amazon would have refund my money by now. I am considering legal action.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I love the way it just works really well for me. Its appearance is also very cute and I love it. It serves its purpose and more. It has not disappointed me at all not even once so I really enjoy it and will never get rid of it. I had someone come set it up for me, my neighbor. I was watching though a little bit and it seemed kind of difficult but maybe he did not know what he was doing. Very easy to navigate and very trustworthy. Customer service can be a little better though but that is OK. Overall it is such a great experience.

Original review: July 25, 2017

The Bowflex Max Trainer records and stores your progress, makes exercise fun, and it’s a great quality for the price. It’s the best piece of equipment I’ve ever owned! It’s nearly perfect, but one minor complaint would be the initial setup is a bit time consuming, but nothing too major. It’s not difficult to set up though. But once everything was programmed in it was easy to use! The product is still 1000% worth it! Perfection, highly recommend!

Original review: July 23, 2017

I love how smoothly Bowflex runs in comparison to my previous elliptical machine, which made it hard on the legs to move. I haven’t had sore legs from merely five minutes of workout time with the Bowflex due to the adjustable fitness levels. It is very easy to use, setting up the machine took just myself and twenty spare minutes and I am not very tech savvy so getting it to run on my own says a lot about the level of ease. But I dislike the appearance of it as it is too large and misshapen to fit in my basement. My previous machine, although lower quality, was smaller and fit perfect in my basement corner with enough room for my other equipment.

Bowflex expert review by Mark Barroso

Bowflex has developed complex and effective machines in the strength training category for decades and recently launched the Bowflex Max Trainer series. The Bowflex Treadclimber targets a specific audience since it’s made for walking.

• The 14-minute workout: All Bowflex Max Trainer models start a 14-minute interval workout with the push of a button. The Bowflex Max Trainer is shaped like an elliptical or strider, has moving handles and activates the upper body as well as the legs. The Smart Max Interval option automatically adjusts the resistance and speed of the machine based on your customized preferences.

• Apple Health Kit/Google Fit: Workout data on the Bowflex Max Trainer and Treadclimber syncs via Bluetooth to Apple Health Kit, Google Fit, MyFitnessPal and Bowflex Connect.

• Low impact workout is easier on the knees: Those with knee injuries will be able to exercise effectively using the Bowflex Treadclimber. The maximum speed is 4.5mph.

• Compact designs: Both the Max Trainer and Treadclimber are highly compact, lightweight machines. Every assembled Max Trainer weighs less than 150 pounds.

• Best for: People who want to lose weight, people recovering from injuries

Profile picture of Mark Barroso
Mark Barroso Health and Fitness Contributing Editor

Mark Barroso is an editor, writer and researcher who has been featured in various print and online publications including Fitness Magazine, Muscle & Fitness, Men’s Fitness, Muscle & Fitness Hers, FLEX, Spartan Race and Tough Mudder. A fitness enthusiast who practices what he preaches, Barroso enjoys researching and testing the latest fitness trends including classes and products.

Bowflex Company Information