Bowflex

Compare Fitness Equipment

Research top Fitness Equipment recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We have had our Bowflex Max7 for about a year and at first really loved the workouts. About 6 months after it arrived one of the belts started slipping. After finally receiving a replacement belt and two hours getting to where we could replace it, we found the reason the belt broke was the mechanism containing the primary components was the real problem. ALL the bolts and holes were stripped so we essentially have a $2K+ paper weight that is useless. Our elliptical trainer we bought from of all places, Walmart, lasted much longer and was $1,500 cheaper...

My partner set Bowflex up and it is very easy to use. The settings are easy to change and the different levels are easy for beginners or experienced people. There are multiple feature but my favorite is I can walk like I'm climbing. It works my butt and upper thigh area better than an actual hill. The machine itself is amazing and gives a great workout. Only price needs improvement. Very expensive which is sad because not everyone can afford this machine.

The elliptical is very easy to set up, but it is a little bulky in that it does take up room even though they say it is rather compact. I leave it set up in my guest house, which is primarily my exercise room, so there is no wear in putting it up and down. Mostly, I like how smoothly it works in motion and that it is very durable as I have used other brands that are nowhere near as good and for me.

It is good quality and has Bluetooth. The machine is very steady and not wobbly. It is easy to use and all of the settings and operating parts of the machine are self-explanatory. There are enough settings for my use and has everything I need and want. However stride isn't long enough. I am over six one and have a long stride. It isn't a great problem but I would appreciate a longer stride. And although I have not had problems, it would also be a little better if there was a longer warranty period.

The Bowflex elliptical has many features that I like. It has sixteen resistance levels which is good for beginners as well as experts. It is a great cardio workout. I burn calories quickly by only 14 minutes a day for three days a week. It comes with a two year warranty but should be longer. Also, I dislike the assembly, which can be cumbersome. And although the Bowflex machine comes with directions, I would definitely recommend having two to three people to help. Many of the pieces are quite heavy but once you get it together, it is awesome.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bowflex?

It was set up very easily. They did everything from first bolt to last bolt. I like the connection of a USB player or smartphone. It's really simple to set up and really nice quality of audio and video. I hope it can last long and it can be a reliable machine. I also like the small TV they include in them. I like how versatile the machine is to use, but I would like to be able to change the speed and to be able to use it a bit easier. It would be nice to check my intake, calories and cardio. Also a smaller Bowflex elliptical should be available for a smaller apartment. But when I'm working out, I love the excitement I have playing with the new settings and reaching my maximum temperature.

Difficult to set up, could have used a better guide, large parts that was hard to put together and had to get a second person even though it said it would only require one person. I also dislike the way it is designed. When using it, it make a lot of noise... Also each step makes you go unusually high then low which is somewhat uncomfortable while using it at night. However, there is an option to play music through the machine... Also their screen can show you a place in the real world to run through like you are sightseeing while working out.

Bowflex is easy to use. Stand on it and push start. But if you want a harder workout, you have to get off of the machine and turn the tension knobs. It's difficult to adjust tension settings. With other machine, you can adjust the settings on the screen provided. Other than that it’s low impact and easy on the knees. I have always enjoyed ellipticals because they force you to use all the muscles in the body. I also enjoy being able to set your own pace. I have enjoyed the Bowflex and the results.

I liked that it was easy to operate and got results that I wanted. It did different levels and I felt like I was working outside or climbing or hiking. Also, several of my family could adjust the strength to fit the workout needs they needed, but I wish it was smaller or could fold down and hide it easier. I did not like how much space it took up and how ugly it was in my living room. Also, I wish it had accessories that were more affordable.

Bowflex helps to work all areas of the body and gives them a good workout. It helps to tone and define the areas of the body I am working on. It gives my body a full workout and more. It has many setting on the machine that allows you to workout out at the pace you are comfortable with. The easy-to-follow instructions made it easy to set up and operate. Was set up within an hour and I started my workout regimen afterwards as well. I would recommend to anyone looking to workout their body to buy one as well.

Setting it up sometimes is a big pain in the butt but we got it done so it worked out well and it was pretty easy to use. I like that you could change the settings and the weights all around. We like the flexibility of the machine because we could do different exercises. However, it was big, bulky, and it kind of got in the way of where we lived in the apartment. The apartment we had was small so it took up a lot of room.

The Bowflex elliptical is mainly a good product. Putting it together took about 75 minutes but using it is fairly easy and you don't have to deal with different bands or weights or with moving anything physically based on what your goal is for that day. I like the heart and calorie monitors of Bowflex too and that it takes up normal amount of space. It also holds feet so no slipping when really moving and allows me to get a good workout at home when I have the time. Allows me to challenge myself with different speeds and inclines every day based on what I feel up to doing that day. However, it tends to be loud after using it for more than 1 hour. Also, not as smooth walking as I would like it to be. It also tends to have issues with monitoring heart rate and calories burned if you are using an almost run pace on it.

I like that Bowflex has several breakout modes and a chest strap. It is also Bluetooth compatible which makes things very convenient. However, I would prefer the display to be more horizontal. I have concerns with the axle too because I see it getting loose and in some cases which I have read online it has snapped. Otherwise, the elliptical is quite easy to set up and use. It has a nice design and more functionality than most people can even use. Setting it up, I just needed to bolt the handlebars and run a cable through the spine and hook it to the monitor.

The elliptical is easy to use and set up. My dad helped me and I used it the same day I bought it. I like that it is convenient and that I don't have to go to a gym to use it. I get exercise and stay fit. Also, I like that it is black. However, I don't like top work out. I don't like to sweat. I also don't like that it wobbles and makes a squeaky noise.

Bowflex has easy adjustable tensions, comfortable seat, smooth pulleys and cables. Adjustments are easy and quick to change between users. The instructions for setting-up are straight-forward and it fits in the exercise room well. The equipment is very quiet so you can listen to music while working out. It also has some good examples of exercise. Plus, the whole family is able to use it. But sometimes, the cables running all over the machine get in the way and the coating on the cables wear off.

The Bowflex brand has several models and several features that cater to the type of workout and experience of the user. It looks great and it lasts longer than other brands. We would always get comments on it. Dependable, easy to use, multiple settings, workout programs, less strain, and a built-in trainer to motivate you. The elliptical also requires less space than the other brands so you can place it anywhere and easily move it around. However, not a lot sporting goods carry them, so we have to buy ours online and it was expensive. The return policy was not favorable nor easy too when you really have to return it. Also, the elliptical doesn't come in different colors and intimidating at first. But it was easy to set up, I didnt have to ask anyone for help and my husband was pleasantly surprise when I didn't need his help. I was proud of myself!

Bowflex runs smoothly and easy. It was a bit costly, though I really enjoy using it every night to workout. I put it up when I bought it and now it stays there. I love the computer system that it uses because it is very advanced and it tracks my calories burned and my distance traveled. It is a big machine, but I found a great place where it fits in my workout room in my basement.

Bowflex is a great workout equipment. It’s very intense, beneficial and has great features that hit every part of my body. I’m able to get the right type of workout. It’s long lasting, very inexpensive and it's easy to keep up the maintenance. The equipment was not too complicated to put together nor to operate. The instructions were easy to follow and I was able to live chat with anyone from the company.

Bowflex is very easy to use and it came with a DVD but I didn't even have to use it. Normally I'd wait for my husband to come home to put things together but I didn't have to. I liked the look of the product, it was easy to tear down, you could climb it like stairs, it has an easy way about it. Some machines are bulky and hard to navigate but not this one. I've been to the gym and the one I bought for home had many more options and less bulky than the one at the gym.

It was simple to research, purchase and receive the item. This product is easy and simple to set up. One does not need a background in engineering to be able to possess the skill needed to get this product up and running. But this product while a great one is expensive and may be out of the budget range of someone looking to better themselves. I would wholeheartedly recommend this product to anyone looking.

The Bowflex exercise bike was shipped quickly and was easy to set up with simple instructions. Once put together, it was easy to navigate exercise programs to each person and has low resistance levels. However, it's a small bike. I was expecting it to be bigger. Very small seat for those of us with a larger backside area and small foot pedals for people with larger feet. It doesn't fit any feet well with tennis shoes on.

The Bowflex has a very strong fan and a cup holder. I like who it encourages to reach new goals and debates what pace would be good for you and incline. However, this bike is very confusing to set up. It is very difficult when you open the box. The parts to set up aren't in different groups and they are all mixed together. So first, you have to separate them then follow the very long confusing directions to setting it up. I personally had to have my husband help me set it up because the directions confused me. Luckily, he's an engineer.

The setup process of the Bowflex Exercise bike was pretty minimal. I just had to attach the back of the seat and pedals. Operating it was also very easy. I liked the comfortable, sleek, and clean features, as well. It worked well and you could change the resistance. The pedals were easily moved for height disadvantages as well. It was reclined backward and that was in itself kind of uncomfortable, but other than that, it was great.

Ordered the Max Trainer 5 within the last 2 months. Order showed up missing the power cord. Contacted the company and it took a week to receive. They said they were happy they could send us the part? Really? Happy that you could do your job and send the absolute bare minimum that was expected? The first time the machine was used there was a noticeable knocking noise. When contacted they immediately said they would send new part. Seemed they had this issue before. Now we are waiting for a tech to come fix it. If we do it on our own, the warranty is void. The tech hasn't been able to meet our M-F work schedule. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! So happy I'm paying a good amount of $ for something I hate to use because of their issues.

I like that Bowflex has features like calories burned, fitness goals, exercise intensity levels, heart rate and lots of different exercise programs, incline, engages different muscle groups, custom profile. But it's hard to use sometimes. I get tired really fast and doesn't burn calories fast enough. It is also a bit dangerous, the chest strap is cumbersome, has no incline settings, and too expensive. I make payments monthly. In addition, setting it up was somewhat difficult. The settings are a little hard to get right. It doesn't offer feedback, no bluetooth, takes up too much space and isn't easy to move.

Bowflex is easy to use and can enter statistics of age and weight and other stuff to start. Very good machine to tell cardiac rate and calories. I often use the crosstrail option to keep toned and improve cardiac health. The resistance is also nice since it indeed increases up to 12x the normal amount. However, I don't like the limited inclination. I want something better that rise further like other elliptical machines. Overall very easy workout.

I like that Bowflex is very good quality, and also the brand is popular that it isn't too expensive for my taste. It is an amazing elliptical machine and I'm very fond of it. However, I know that people shouldn't be so comfortable while working out but I think the machine should incorporate the comfort. Also, I wish it was more easy the first time I use the elliptical machine and the process of it. Setting it up is a bit hard. But after the first use makes it so much more easy and I like the machine for that reason. It's a nice machine overall.

My Bowflex elliptical machine keeps track of miles and is a great workout to be able to do at home without leaving. I also like the color of the machine. There are not too many machines like this one. It took a while to set it up but I had all the tools to do it. It was very easy once you could read the instructions. It was all great for what I needed to do. If there was anything to complain about it was the feel of the handle. I did not like them that much. But it's good to have at home.

Bowflex is easy to use. Been using for a year and noticed big changes. Operating is a breeze. Using video exercises is great fun and fun is best for losing weight all around. Gives me a real good work out for the money. Great features, fun video I use to exercise with and diet plan along with the Bowflex is best for best results. Change up is also easy. Storage under the bed would be nice. It's a fold up but still takes a decent amount of space. Basic under the bed storage would be perfect for the all in all.

The Bowflex elliptical machine shows my heart rate and a certain pace I'm keeping. It also has a fan. One of the things I highly like that it has a timer. And while I'm using it, it highers the endurance as you go. One thing I would like them to improve is setting up the machine, it was very hard edging it up. When I first got it, there were several different pieces and I couldn't figure it out so I had to get help from my boyfriend.

Expert Review

Mark BarrosoHealth and Fitness Contributing Editor

Mark Barroso is an editor, writer and researcher who has been featured in various print and online publications including Fitness Magazine, Muscle & Fitness, Men’s Fitness, Muscle & Fitness Hers, FLEX, Spartan Race and Tough Mudder. A fitness enthusiast who practices what he preaches, Barroso enjoys researching and testing the latest fitness trends including classes and products.    More about Mark→

Bowflex has developed complex and effective machines in the strength training category for decades and recently launched the Bowflex Max Trainer series. The Bowflex Treadclimber targets a specific audience since it’s made for walking.

• The 14-minute workout: All Bowflex Max Trainer models start a 14-minute interval workout with the push of a button. The Bowflex Max Trainer is shaped like an elliptical or strider, has moving handles and activates the upper body as well as the legs. The Smart Max Interval option automatically adjusts the resistance and speed of the machine based on your customized preferences.
  • Apple Health Kit/Google Fit: Workout data on the Bowflex Max Trainer and Treadclimber syncs via Bluetooth to Apple Health Kit, Google Fit, MyFitnessPal and Bowflex Connect.
  • Low impact workout is easier on the knees: Those with knee injuries will be able to exercise effectively using the Bowflex Treadclimber. The maximum speed is 4.5mph.
  • Compact designs: Both the Max Trainer and Treadclimber are highly compact, lightweight machines. Every assembled Max Trainer weighs less than 150 pounds.
  • Best for People who want to lose weight, people recovering from injuries

Compare Fitness Equipment