Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.57/5

Gold's Gym Reviews

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

The contact support option does not allow contact with a person. This would not be bad except they provide no feedback that a support ticket was created. There is no ticket reference number to track or refer to. There is no email confirming you submitted a ticket. There is no phone line to contact a rep for help. It is a false, misleading and abusive member system that no member or user can circumvent or gain access to any form of a solution. Contacting a local office does no help, because they are not the recipients of these help tickets, or at least every ticket that's been submitted by me has never been seen at my gym. This is the epitome of falseness, misdirection and member abuse taking the face of "support". -JJ

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I would not recommend this gym to my worst enemy! They will say anything to get you to sign up and when you try to cancel they will not honor any of the agreements. It is a very hard process and will not respond to you if you escalate the matter. ALL THEY WANT IS YOUR MONEY! The gyms are dirty and always understaffed. Save your time and energy and go to ANY other gym!

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I cancelled the membership in person (at local gym) several months ago, but I keep getting billed every month. Upon consulting the Gold's Gym customer service department, I have been advised to scan the cancellation form (it has the cancellation date written on it and the manager's signature) and send it to their e-mail, which I did immediately. NO REFUND. A month later, I get billed another $39.99, contact the customer service again, NO RESPONSE. This had never happened in my whole entire life, and just this whole process I am going through is so exhausting and frustrating. Probably called/e-mail more than ten times; felt like no one is there to help. All they want is your money. I had to contact my bank to report fraud and let them take care of this issue. AVOID!!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

After joining the gym, which I loved, a few months later, Feb of 2019 I began working remotely unable to work out at the Montgomery Location. Joined the gym NOT on a contract. I visited the gym, gave very specific instruction to cancel my membership, I could not work out there any longer.. Was a somber visit.. I was billed again in March so I made the assumption it was retro vs. pre use billing.

I was billed again in April so I got in touch with Corporate who said I had to mail a letter, which I did. It is not October and I've been bullied and billed by this company RELENTLESSLY SINCE EXPRESSING MY WILL TO STOP BACK IN LATE FEB EARLY MARCH. Every time I put funds in my USAA checking account they steal it, phone calls, credit damage, they are the most ruthless company and they know it. They are the only site without a "Contact Us" in their footer I've ever seen. This has to be why, and I cannot be alone in this. Please check my Montgomery review in Yelp, also Google review and respond so we can gather momentum to stop this business from stealing from good people.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I fulfilled my contract and they continued to debit my account for 600$... Whatever you do DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH GOLD'S GYM. And you can't contact customer service, please don't do business with these crooks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I met all requirements on the 30 days money back form, but the billing section kept saying they do not have my complete profile in the system. No way to get the money back. Also, I have to pay for another monthly fee and annual maintenance fee. Working on the legal action as well as my credit card company to get my refund. I will never ever recommend this gym to anyone else.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I was told through a “promotion” I could go month to month and cancel anytime I pleaded, When I went in for cancellation cause the gyms sucked I was told I was going to have to pay a cancellation fee, Never was this brought to my attention otherwise I would have never signed up, I could go on and on how much Gold's Gym is trash from the facilities to the staff, Over all I will never EVER encourage anyone to get a membership here.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Management instructed employees to purposely fake email addresses so that if or when you cancel your membership they will ignore the request because after they search your email upon cancellation, it will not exist in their files so they will ignore it and then be able to receive extra monthly dues while you are unaware they did not receive your notice. I filed complaint with BBB and went through process with the facts and Gold's still after the complaint that I filed 2 months ago are still billing me. I went back and forth with manager and she is well aware I moved out of state and that she and her employee lied and were caught in that lie and still are billing me.. RIDICULOUS. I WILL BE FILING A POLICE REPORT IN THE LOCAL CITY AS SOON AS I RETURN HOME FROM A BUSINESS TRIP.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

If I could give Gold’s zero stars I would. They are great when you’re a member. But I went to cancel my membership because the Maryville location had closed. The employee said I didn’t need to cancel my membership and that it would transfer over to National fitness; I just had to go over there. I have now been charged for three months unbeknownst to me.

After being charged two months, I noticed. I was told, contradicting what the employee initially said, that my home location wasn’t Maryville, so yes I did need to cancel and no they would not refund me due to their employee’s incompetence. They assured me I would not be charged for August. And lo and behold, I was charged again. They said I wouldn’t be refunded because it takes 30 days to cancel. So I wouldn’t ever recommend anyone going to Gold’s because if you ever have any issues or need to cancel, they only care about the money and not the customer. Shout out to Phil at Walker Springs location for listening to me rant. But the company still would rather keep the money they got as a result of their employee’s error instead of refund a customer that should have never been charged to begin with...

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Like everyone else I joined the gym believing all it took to cancel it was walking in the gym to cancel it, which I did. A year later I notice the charge was still on my card and of course I asked my CC to stop those payments. Thought I was done. The beginning of the nightmare. I am a homeowner, a professional mother who never missed a payment (mortgage, student loan, car note.... never). My "debt" was sent to collection, never answer random numbers. Their next move, a derogatory remark on my credit history. The score goes down by 38 points. Yes the gym membership can do that. Now am between the so called billing manager, a debt collection agency, not even positive my credit will be fixed. Run for your life!!

Gold's Gym expert review by Joey Thurman

Gold’s Gym was founded in 1965 in Venice, California. After being featured in a bodybuilding documentary in 1977 starring Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gold’s Gym gained popularity and expanded internationally. It now has over 700 company-owned and franchise locations in 38 states and 28 countries.

• Fully equipped: Gold’s Gym built its reputation through a commitment to functional, state-of-the-art equipment. It continuously updates its fitness equipment and programs to reflect the latest developments in the fitness industry and exercise science.

• Group exercise options: Gold’s Gym offers many fitness classes, including popular options like spin class, mixed martial arts, Zumba, Pilates, yoga and more.

• Personal trainers: Gold’s Gym employs certified personal trainers to help customers plan fitness programs and meet goals. You can work with a trainer one-on-one or in group training sessions.

• Child care area: Customers who have children may appreciate Gold’s Gym’s child care areas. Kids can participate in supervised activities, crafts and games while parents and caregivers exercise.

• Express locations: While most Gold’s Gym locations are large, fully-appointed fitness centers, the company recognizes that some customers prefer a smaller, less intimidating workout experience. The new Gold’s Gym Express is a no-frills, basic gym for those who prefer a fast, simple workout. There are currently ten Express locations with plans to open more.

• Best for: athletes, fitness buffs and novices.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Gold's Gym Company Information