Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.72/5

Gold's Gym Reviews

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I met all requirements on the 30 days money back form, but the billing section kept saying they do not have my complete profile in the system. No way to get the money back. Also, I have to pay for another monthly fee and annual maintenance fee. Working on the legal action as well as my credit card company to get my refund. I will never ever recommend this gym to anyone else.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I was told through a “promotion” I could go month to month and cancel anytime I pleaded, When I went in for cancellation cause the gyms sucked I was told I was going to have to pay a cancellation fee, Never was this brought to my attention otherwise I would have never signed up, I could go on and on how much Gold's Gym is trash from the facilities to the staff, Over all I will never EVER encourage anyone to get a membership here.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Management instructed employees to purposely fake email addresses so that if or when you cancel your membership they will ignore the request because after they search your email upon cancellation, it will not exist in their files so they will ignore it and then be able to receive extra monthly dues while you are unaware they did not receive your notice. I filed complaint with BBB and went through process with the facts and Gold's still after the complaint that I filed 2 months ago are still billing me. I went back and forth with manager and she is well aware I moved out of state and that she and her employee lied and were caught in that lie and still are billing me.. RIDICULOUS. I WILL BE FILING A POLICE REPORT IN THE LOCAL CITY AS SOON AS I RETURN HOME FROM A BUSINESS TRIP.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

If I could give Gold’s zero stars I would. They are great when you’re a member. But I went to cancel my membership because the Maryville location had closed. The employee said I didn’t need to cancel my membership and that it would transfer over to National fitness; I just had to go over there. I have now been charged for three months unbeknownst to me.

After being charged two months, I noticed. I was told, contradicting what the employee initially said, that my home location wasn’t Maryville, so yes I did need to cancel and no they would not refund me due to their employee’s incompetence. They assured me I would not be charged for August. And lo and behold, I was charged again. They said I wouldn’t be refunded because it takes 30 days to cancel. So I wouldn’t ever recommend anyone going to Gold’s because if you ever have any issues or need to cancel, they only care about the money and not the customer. Shout out to Phil at Walker Springs location for listening to me rant. But the company still would rather keep the money they got as a result of their employee’s error instead of refund a customer that should have never been charged to begin with...

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Like everyone else I joined the gym believing all it took to cancel it was walking in the gym to cancel it, which I did. A year later I notice the charge was still on my card and of course I asked my CC to stop those payments. Thought I was done. The beginning of the nightmare. I am a homeowner, a professional mother who never missed a payment (mortgage, student loan, car note.... never). My "debt" was sent to collection, never answer random numbers. Their next move, a derogatory remark on my credit history. The score goes down by 38 points. Yes the gym membership can do that. Now am between the so called billing manager, a debt collection agency, not even positive my credit will be fixed. Run for your life!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: July 12, 2019

When I joined this gym, they told me that it is an easy step to cancel the membership but they don't do cancellations in the gym, they gave me a wrong email where I sent the cancellation details. They called me and said that they would wait until they receive the leasing agreement. I sent leasing agreement, and they called me and asking me to pay off 3 months membership fee. I forwarded both emails and they said that they did not receive the initial email and somehow I did not receive the confirmation for second email. They still demanded to pay off the gym membership fee for three months and they don't understand the leasing agreement. This is **. I asked them to call the apartments to find out. Still they are not ready to do that and want to take membership fee continuing without considering customers. Please DO NOT JOIN GOLD'S GYM. It is the worst of all.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Complaint against Gold Gym Country Hills. My husband got membership last year in September. After that he got a gallbladder surgery and so he couldn’t continue. So this year he transferred the membership to my name for which he had to pay as well! However due to some reasons now I'm not able to continue with it and want to end the membership but when my husband went to ask to cancel the membership he is told he signed a 3 yr contract???

NOBODY, I say NOBODY informed him about this 3 year contract at the time of getting the membership as he wasn’t looking to sign such a long contract at the first place!!!! If he would have been conveyed about this 3 yrs term he wouldn’t have gotten the membership! Country Hills gym is a total scam and I am going to report it to the Consumer Protection of Alberta about its unethical practices as well! It's totally unethical to ask for 200$ for cancellation!! Nobody should be a victim of this Gym.. I'm going to make everybody aware of how these guys are ripping off people without their consent!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I reached out to the gym and their manager to let them know that I’ve been overcharged. They found the charges erroneous but they said I waited too long to bring it to their attention so I would not be getting a refund. It was a little less than a month later because I had used their website to complain about it first. Very angry about this.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The staff members are rude and does not provide you with information when you register then lie to say they advised you on the day of registration. Read and ask questions when you go to register at Gold's Gym. Especially their parking and they refuse to want to speak to you after making a complaint. They refuse to accept their mistakes of not informing us of registering our car details everytime we attend the gym. They expected you to know by reading their banners. Management and services are poor.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have struggled with my weight since I was thirteen years old. Never had anyone to tell me not to eat this or workout like this to stay fit and healthy. All through high school I was overweight. Never had a boyfriend, never got picked when choosing teams, and never went to prom. After going off to college, my weight hit an all-time high. Losing my grandmother and my grades pumping down. I dropped out due to my mom needing help after my grandmother's funeral. I got a decent job and decide it was time to make a change. I joined our local gym after I saw the ad ten dollars a month. I had lost 30 pounds in 6 months. I had started dating my now fiance. After a year I had lost 60 pounds and I found out I was pregnant. I called to cancel my membership but the lady on the phone said I had to come in and cancel my membership. When that weekend came up I went in, filled out the paperwork and my member was canceled.

A year later after having my baby, I receive a letter in the mail saying that I owe two hundred dollars for a membership that should have been cancelled about two years ago. I was thinking this has got to be a mistake so I called the local Gold's gym. I explained my membership should have been cancelled over two years ago. She says,"there nothing in our system about you cancelling your membership and you owe one hundred dollars and forty-five cent and much more. It says here you haven't been here in seven hundred days. That's why your account is so high". "Look I came to your facility and filled out paper and everything. Obviously, I have been there in almost three years. I didn't know my account was still open". "Well, there nothing in the system about you cancelling. There's nothing I can do". This is just another story of the rich preying on the poor.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I lost my debit card, so I had to cancelled it. When I went to Gold’s Gym to give them my new debit card info, they had already the info!! Wonder how they found the new information (they couldn't tell me how) and why they used it without my authorization! I was told that this is a FRAUD! Of course I ended up cancelling my membership. Not going there anymore.

Original review: March 25, 2019

In January, I brought in a new debit card. However, my January payment didn't go through. Figured this meant our no commitment agreement (which they are now calling a contract) was void. I stopped going, obviously. Only now I apparently owe for three months, due to their error in entering my new account information. Won't even work with me on making smaller payments.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I got tasked for deployment, and proceeded to get my Gold's Gym account cancelled. To my knowledge and what the members told me, it was good to go. Fast track up to today, and I've been getting charged for a long time. They still charged me when I explicitly remember coming to them in person for cancellation. They'd rather have me sign and consent to all the charges on services I never used, and have the manager only available during my work hours. Silly. This is a shady company for sure.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Cancelled my 2 year contract after a few months. It's pretty easy... Cancel your card on the account, wait three months ($50 per month), Gold's Gym cancels your membership due to non payment and sends you off to debt collection agency, phone call from a debt collection agency ask tell them to send you documentation of their requesting (Swift Funds wanted $400), go to the gym you contracted with (talk to the general manager) and he/she will tell what you owe the gym. In my case it was $150 flat ($50 * 3), I settled my debt with the gym I contracted with in cash and got a receipt and a few days later a copy of a few other papers from Gold's Gym HQ that the debt has been settled and the debt collection agency is out of the picture.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I had been buying personal training packages from Gold’s Gym since July 2018 from a very good trainer, Nick **. I also purchased participation in Gold’s 4-month weight loss/strength training competition/challenge which required working with a personal training and offered training sessions at a discount. I purchased $1872 worth of training only to be told when I showed up for my regularly session that my trainer would be “On vacation for 2 months.”

I requested a refund for the training in person with JR ** (Westlake Manager) within an hour of being noticed that my trainer was on an extended vacation. I was told that he would get back to me within the day, that he didn’t have authority to make the refund. It’s been a week and I have requested the refund 3x. No response from JR **. Obviously I am very dissatisfied. Many of Nick ** clients were seniors. Since this significantly disadvantages seniors, particularly those participating in the competition, IS THIS GOLD'S BIAS AGAINST SENIORS?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I'm not one for writing reviews, but I am fed up. Gold's Gym makes it so you have to be on a automatic payment. That's fine... If they would charge you on the due date. My bank has confirmed they only tried billing me a few days PAST when the money was due. Then they had the nerve to charge a late payment fee. I figured it was maybe a mistake, but can I contact them? NOPE. They only have a customer service number for ordering equipment. On top of this nightmare, I thought I'd just pay (before the actual due date, to avoid the LPF) in the gym itself. Did this work? No. I was instead billed twice for the month of Feb. It would be much better if I could contact them, but they make it impossible.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Hard time comes when you want to cancel the membership. Even after submitting all the documents that they have asked for they just take time to cancel so that they can charge you the account. I mean they are very inhuman and just do anything to suck the money out of you. I wish they go out of business as they don't deserve to do business at all.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I agreed to pay for a personal trainer for 3 months but they won't let you cancel until you have paid at least $2,000. They kept charging my credit card hundreds of dollars. They LIED to my credit card company, falsely claiming I had signed a contract, but they refused to show it. It took 6 months to get my money credited. The Manager just laughed in my face.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

1. Even after having paid the rest of annual fee, they still drew money the next month. 2. The Dix30's Gold Gym (Brossard QC) was suddenly closed! Though I asked them to pay me back the fee of the rest of months, they did not even reply to me. I should have been paid more than 400 CAD. I cannot know to whom we should contact in case the person in charge does not even reply. Never pay the fee in advance! Never give them the credit card information...they will continue to draw your money! You should not waste your money on this horrible and stupid gym!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Do not sign a contract with this gym - if you default on it, they disregard what you have already paid them-- They will send it to collection with an additional 2 years of payments required or it goes on your credit report. (So they make you actually pay triple the amount left on the contract even after you had cancelled it!). Then, when you try to speak to a manager to help straighten things out, they disregard you and don't help. There is no one to talk to at this company for help... They are inhumane. They just want to make money, stay away.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I'm very unsatisfied customer for Gold Gym, after canceling my membership they kept charging my card, I went to the local office several times trying to resolve the issue, no luck, I ask to speak with the manager which refused to talk to me, I ask for a phone for Main office I was giving a number which I called. They told me they cannot help me. I was giving another phone # which I keep calling and it shows error. They billed me for almost 5 months. I went into the reviews for them. Seems like they are known for that. I wish there was something we the customer can do about it and get our money back. They are misleading people.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

This is for the Gold's Gym at Greensboro Randleman Rd. Ok this lady at the front say my free pass for three day don’t work because the manager didn’t approve this pass. Why in the ** you give a pass if you can use it... I want to try you give because I have I have Planet Fitness And my friend tell me Gold's Gym is better but this person at front desk she want to charge me $15 dollars for a free pass.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I have been a member of Gold's Gym for over 4 years; the only part that I use is the pool. Gold's Gym has had evident problems. I've also noticed the hot water only works in some of the showers and the hot tub has been close for MONTHS. And the pools... Numerous times over the years being closed for weeks. The only resolution they have when the pool is closed is to go to the other facility on 302 Main St, which is inconveniently far south. I live in Monument. They have told me they will re-open the pool on the 21st of January, which has been close for 2 weeks. So on the 23rd I called them at 6 am to verify again that the pool was open, the receptionist confirmed it. So when I arrived and started to swim one of the employees, Justin, came in a very rough way ordered me to get out as the pool is not open yet.

This gym's location is very convenient to me, since it's very close to my job. Although I've found the many problems they have with the repairs, the real problem is the staff. Apparently nobody seems to care about the customer complaints, the people at the front desk do not know what currently is working and are poorly informed. Today I decided to cancel my membership. I am angry and disappointed with the owners of this gym, yet wonder if they are informed. They have the worst customer service, when I requested reimbursement or a discount due to all this trouble they preferred to lose me as a member. I'd advise you not to join this gym. It's poorly maintained, not even the management fixes the problems. Accept this letter dated January 23rd, 2019 as my requested end date. Please confirm you've received my cancellation.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

As you can see from most of these negative reviews, Gold’s is ** when it comes to customer service and how they working with their customers. The gym, staff, and equipment were fine. But when the time came when I moved addresses and had to cancel my membership, Golds really did everything in their power to avoid confrontation and suck every penny from me. When I first walked into the store to cancel my membership, I was told by one of the staff that my account had been deactivated right then and there, but also that there was a chance that my cancellation fee would be waived if I had contacted their billing agency.

Not only was I denied but they had charged me 2 months it took me to gather all the documents I needed to send to prove my change of address. Second time around that I walked into the gym to speak to a manger about my account, I was assured that my account had already been deactivated 2 months prior when I had walked in to get this done in the first place. The Manager of my gym’s location did nothing but refer me to Gold’s billing agency to get the issue resolved. In the end I was obligated to pay huge fees that I shouldn’t have due to how Gold's handles customer service. Do yourself a favor and stick to 24/LA Fitness. The headache is not worth it!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I belonged to my gym in Knoxville which was taken over from the Rush in 2014-ish. Decent equipment but never any upgrades. They literally changed nothing but paint since they took it over. Machines need to be replaced, tile, bathrooms are a mess. I can't tell if that pool has ever been cleaned. Like really cleaned. I stayed because I could only do what I wanted at this gym for the price. They have almost no competition in the area and it shows.

There was unprofessional staff behavior. They place way too much emphasis on classes and personal training. It has such small space and they like to use it for these boot camp sessions that have maybe 5-6 people in them. Can't stretch or do anything during those times. The other night I couldn't work out in my space because these people decided to create their own Crossfit experience taking up a third of the room in January, the busiest time of the year. They are all about the memberships and not the members. It doesn't matter how many surveys you complete, how many reviews you leave, nothing gets changed because of "corporate." You're stuck watching the same news channels, listening to the same music, and flexing on the same dirty faux grass mat. You watch managers leave and transfer to other Gold's every year because no one seems to be able to stay here. I'm just burned out and I think I have outgrown this gym and this "brand."

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

What a bad experience, these guys are terrible. My contract was over a year ago I've requested multiple times that my membership be cancelled via email and over the phone they say I have to come into a gym and sign a 30 day notice. I haven't been into a gold's in 10+ months. I get a bill for $300 and a threat to send me to collections. They don't make it easy to cancel even when you're month to month, 24 allows you to do this over the phone or on their website. Never signing up with gold's again, at least I can go to a 24 whenever I want, Gold's closes at 9pm, so if I want to avoid the rush I cant.

About to go into my closest Gold's and sign my "30 day cancellation notice" so they squeeze another 30 days worth of payments out of me. Buyer beware, these guys just want to squeeze all the money they can out of you, hence the archaic method to cancel, cancellation should be easily done online just as easy as you can SIGN UP ONLINE, also none of these cancellation terms are disclosed on their online terms and conditions when you go to sign up. Underhanded business practice, I came from 24 hour fitness to Gold's to try it out and I can confidently say after this experience I will not be back and I will post this review on as many outlets as possible to make everyone I can aware of my experience.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I put membership on hold and they continue to charge. I have this cancellation in writing. I have contacted Gold's over 20 times and they continue to charge over 6 months after my cancellation. Really stupid company.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Couple of months ago my wife and I wanted to be a part of a gym, so we went to the gym to see what is required to open up a membership. I spoken with the sales manager about if I open an account and put my wife underneath my account or contract would we be good because I didn't want my wife to have a contract. They said yes but she also has to sign a contract which made no sense.

Until now I have issues in Mexico. I have spoken with ** about my situation and about the miscommunication when I have opened an account with them. I felt like was getting nowhere so I decided just pay $400 which the fee was $200 for each contract. I think they just robbing customers and the states need to put a mystery shopper so they can see what the customer are going through. If I had the power I would demand them to refund all the customers' money back and apologize for their behavior.

To have good business and relationships with customers they need to remove the contract deal and not force them to pay. I won't be visiting Gold's Gyms. Never again and guarantee other customers are not going back to that awful gym. Just be careful with the strong sales tactics where they will push you. Hope this help you guys out and I apologize for my grammar or punctuation due to I was upset. 1016 North Cole Ave, Hollywood, CA 90038 (Gold's Gym location).

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was a member of 24 Hour Fitness, and loved that gym. They were bought out by Gold's and I never signed a membership with Gold's. I decide to cancel and the only way to cancel is to go to the gym or a CERTIFIED letter. Now let's think about that, they want you to go to the gym because they want to talk you into staying and I bet this guilt trip works with many members, or you can take time out of your day and write a letter, which is really an outdated form of communication these days, in order to cancel. Why can't you call? Why can't you email? Because it makes it too easy for the members!!!

Now they are continuing to bill you, and they are like bullies keeping you as a member. I called to try to cancel and the MANAGER of the gym was rude, and obviously didn't care at all, which goes to show you what they are really like, and then right before he hangs up on me, he tells me to go ** myself. TRUE STORY!!! I strongly don't recommend this gym ever! I have signed up with a much better gym, month to month, cancel anytime! Oh and why do they not have any corporate numbers? LOL. Think about it before you sign. The lady that calls you asking for payment can't even help you cancel but she wants your money, and then when you tell her you need to cancel, she literally huffed and puffed over the phone. She said she's the only person in the cancellation department. LOL. They are all rude, while the CEO sits back and collects big checks and doesn't obviously care about turning this company into a real customer friendly gym.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Someone stole my son's car from here and the gym told us they would cooperate with the police officer but after we left they decided not to allow him to view the footage. Due to not allowing after he said he would has delayed the process of seeing whom possibly did this and locating car. I don't understand why they are not cooperative.

Gold's Gym Company Information