Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.59/5

Gold's Gym Reviews

Original review: Aug. 11, 2011

Since joining the gym, I have purchased two personal training packages. The first set of session I completed and I am at the end of the second set. I have had my trainer changed three times during this last set of sessions. I requested a refund on the remaining sessions and was denied.

As you can imagine when trainers are switched with this frequency, the quality of the product being purchased is diminished. The gym's policy is not indicative to keeping customers. I want to warn anyone contemplating on purchasing a personal training package that there are no refunds allowed. Don't do it. I don't care if the rapture comes, they don't care if you're happy and will not refund your money. The gym is a joke for a lot of other reasons but I will not go into those at this time.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2011

It all started with some problems in the Gold's Gym child care. I was asked to not bring my 3-year-old (I also have an 8-year-old and 1-year-old) back into the child care, ever. I wanted to attempt to work something out, so I met with the gym manager and the child care manager with my husband a few days later.

During this conversation, the manager was rude to the point of telling us we were bad parents by saying “that's bad parenting” to everything that was being said about my 3-year-old. He also barely paid attention to us – he was waving and nodding to other members as they were coming and going. This 'meeting' happened just inside the gym doors, off to the side of the front desk. The only 'help' he offered was to cancel my membership, which I made clear I was not interested in doing.

Towards the end of the conversation, the gym manager stopped the child care manager from talking. We were suggesting other options other than kicking my 3-year-old out. He sent her away and asked me again if I would like to cancel my membership. At this point I told him no, that we were trying to work something out and he said it’s not going to happen. He again said, “I'll just cancel your membership”. I again said no, that’s not what I want. So my husband said that the gym manager was just "being an **" and we asked for a number to reach someone above him.

He said, “That’s it, I'm cancelling your membership because you don't call me that in my gym”. I stopped him and said, “Look you said we are using 'bad parenting' and he said you are 'being an **'. It’s the same thing, no?”

He refused to give me a phone number for someone above him and gave me an email address. I asked for a corporate number and he said there is none. I asked again and he said I'll give you this number but it’s just a voicemail and he again stated he was going to cancel my membership. My husband said lets go, he is acting like an '** on steroids', which really set off the manager (why?). He said that’s it, the membership will be cancelled and get out of my gym.

We both turned and started walking to the front doors and the manager called to our backs and said "You are just jealous of me".

After this, I called the number he gave me. It rang and rang and no voicemail. I went home and emailed the address he had given me and I also emailed Gold's Gym through their website.

The next day, I went to a different location (Hershey) and spoke to the manager there. He was very helpful and even gave me the number to reach Gold's VP. He said he couldn't do anything for me, but if I wanted to come to this location I was more than welcome. As soon as we stepped outside, I called the number he gave me and left a message with the VP. She called me back right away and we spoke. She apologized for how I was treated and said that I was welcome to go to the Hershey location.

The next day, she called me back and said I was "posting messages all over Facebook, putting down the company and the Harrisburg manager." I did, in fact, post on the main Gold's facebook page, saying I had a bad customer service experience at the Harrisburg location and was treated poorly. I posted something similar to this twice and it was removed from the site both times within minutes. I also posted in my own facebook: "so much for gold's gym. bad. bad. bad." A few people asked what happened and I said, “The manager was an ** and the child care sucks.” I’m just stating my own opinions on my own facebook profile.

I received an email that evening from the Harrisburg Gold's Gym manager stating that Gold's, as a franchise, was going to take legal action against me "as a result of ‘Defamation of Character’ and ‘Cyber Bullying’."

Since that email, I have yet to hear more from the company.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2011

I lost my job in 9/09. At that time, I called them and asked them to freeze my account for a few months like other companies were doing (specifically Direct TV & Qwest). They refused and started charging me interest and fees. When I was finally able to begin paying them again in approximately 2/11, I was told that until I had the entire balance paid, I would not be able to utilize their service. I understand that. Then, I was told I would only be able to use it for 6 months of the total 17 additional months I would be paying for. I am losing 11 months.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2011

I signed up on May 27, 2011, and found out 8 days later I had to move. Went in in person to cancel, and filled out forms. My deposit of $249 was kept because it was past the 7 days limit. Then, my card got charged for July and now for August as I try to find out WHY the cancellation forms I signed were not processed. I stupidly trusted Eric Martinez and did not ask for a copy, and now no one has a copy of it, even though other employees remember me coming in to cancel. Keep getting the run-around and the bottom line is DO NOT JOIN GOLD'S GYM in WOODSTOCK, GA!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2011

Sent in a 30 day written notice to terminate my membership with Gold's Gym. The certified letter was received by ABC Financial on 1 Jun 2010.

My credit card records show that I have paid through the month of June 2010. My billing date is the 11th of each month, so by 11 July 2010, I was paid in full.

Since that date, I've received a bill for cancellation of the membership (no services rendered on their part), and a bill to "lock in my membership rate".

Why am I being charged to cancel my membership, when I was already required to pay and additional 30 days of membership before my account could be terminated? And why would I pay to lock in a membership rate when I've already requested cancellation of my membership?!?

I'm in the process of writing a letter to ABC Financial, explaining why I believe the charges are not justifiable. I assume, based on the number of complaints you've recieved regarding Gold's Gym and ABC Financial, that I'm going to have a difficult time of this.

I get the impression they're just dreaming up any way possible to bill me. My current credit rating is impecable, and a direct reflection of my commitment towards paying my debts, but it does not indicate my willingness to pay for services that I have not received.

Based on the number of complaints that have already been submitted, I would assume someone would be doing something about their billing practices. A class action suit would not be inappropriate at this point.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: July 29, 2011

On 2/14/2011 I notified Gold's Gym in Cedar Park Texas that I wanted to cancel my membership. I put a stop payment on further automatic check withdrawals on 2/15/2011. I did not use the facilities after that time. I did not fill out their blue Cancellation Questionnaire which is supposed to be mailed in to their corporate office by the gym staff. On 4/6/2011 I received a notification from First Credit Services Inc. that I owed $76.94 for 2 1/2 months of dues. I went to the gym in Cedar Park and spoke to their GM who refused to make any adjustments to the debt collector's notice. On 4/19 I paid the balance owed and received a carbon copy of the blue questionnaire that was to be mailed to their office in Irving as final settlement. On May 12th I received another notice directly from First Credit Services saying I owed $25.97 for the partial month (4/1 - 4/19) that I supposedly had access to their facilities.

On May 17th I wrote a letter documenting the events and explaining I had paid the full amount due at the Cedar Park location on 4/19. There was no response or acknowledgement of my contesting the charges. On 5/26 I received a 60 day credit notice from First Credit Services saying I owed $50.97 ($25.97 + 25 late fee). On July 11 a third notice from First credit Services was received saying I owed $50.97 and on Thursday 7/28 a threatening phone call was received saying if the amount owed was not paid immediately, the issue would be reported to a credit bureau. After debating the issue over the phone to no avail I agreed to pay the additional money demanded to "clear" the file and was informed there would be an additional $9.00 fee for paperwork and handling by the debit collector! This seems to be a case of pure consumer fraud and harassment.

Original review: July 27, 2011

I have been an avid distance runner for many years, but broke my toe in June of 2011 and couldn't run for a while. I decided to join the local gym, which happened to be Gold's Gym. I had been a member of a city-owned gym in nearby city before and didn't think much of it.

I was surprised at the high-pressure salesman approach of Gold's Gym and unfortunately paid no real attention to the contract since I couldn't see how that had much to do with anything. I was told I would join on a monthly basis and that there would be an extra semi-annual fee beginning, in my case, in January 2012. I told them I doubted I wanted the membership for more than a month or two and really thought little of it at the time.

A short time later, I saw a charge for $15.95 from a company called "Paramount Acceptance" on my Discover Card bill. I had no idea who they were and I disputed the charge. They apparently sent a form letter back to Discover Card indicating I had signed a contract for the fee with Gold's Gym. Evidently, what I thought was silliness was Gold's Gym's way of getting money out of people, and beyond what they had told me verbally. I was not aware that Gold's Gym had even retained my credit card number that I used for the first monthly payment, much less sent it to a third party to charge me additional fees they had specifically indicated they weren't going to charge me.

I went many rounds with Discover Card, Gold's Gym, and Paramount Acceptance, and pretty much only got the run around. Along the way, I screamed so loudly I have no doubt they could hear me a few buildings away. According to Paramount Acceptance, they've supposedly cancelled my Gold's Gym membership, but they wouldn't confirm that in writing. Discover Card responded not only with being totally unwilling to help but indicating they were going to report me to credit bureau, after 24 years as a card member with literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in charges and with never a single late payment. I was in disbelief, to put it mildly. As soon as my final payoff check arrives, I will be cancelling my account with Discover Card and have advised them accordingly. I've had it with all of them--Gold's, Paramount, and Discover.

I don't know how exactly this will play from here, but after reading endless pages of similar complaints about Gold's Gym, et al. on the Internet, I couldn't help but wonder why there isn't a class-action lawsuit or some other very public campaign to either get Gold's Gym to stop their practices,or force them out of business. I wondered if this contact might lead to information about such an action or effort and if so, how I might be able to become a part of it or support it. (Sorry, however, folks, I may as well clarify up front: I'm a very poor guy and have already been robbed for $15.95 so far.)

My daughter happens to work for the local Tooele newspaper, but having already contacted the editor of the newspaper through my daughter, and because Gold's Gym advertises with them, they won't touch it (surprise, surprise). They even declined to publish my letter to the editor about the matter.

Original review: July 20, 2011

When Gold's Gym first opened in Augusta, Georgia, of course, the $10 a month plan was going on but it was not supposed to be a contract. I did fill out a form, and I did not provide SSI number. Anyway, I only went to the gym once. I and maybe some others was not informed that I had to cancel with a written notice.

One lesson I've learned was never to fill out or sign anything. Anyway, I paid using my sister's bank account and without my knowledge, they were still charging the account. Because of this she ended up closing that account and she just got a new account. Just recently I found out I am in collections, and people are calling me all the time. And these people are not nice. This place is a fraud. I will never attend this gym again and I would not recommend anyone to join it!!!

Original review: July 7, 2011

i have a problem i was told the wrong information about joining yall gym. i was told that i no commitment and i would pay month to month i had a coupon and it said the same thing i was to if i upgrade to 19.99 a month the i was have more access to the gym but i was never told that i would be in a contract i ask the lady to explain it to me and thats what she told me and if i didnt like it that i would have to pay and it would end until i pay again. and now gold gym is saying i owe them and that iam in a one year contract and thats not what i wanted, because i made should and ask the lady if i come and dont like the gym and never come again how would it work and she told me that it would end until i pay again. and i wouldnt be responable.

i took her word and went through with it and now being that i was mislead by her iam in collection with a debt. i didnt want a contract with golds gym and i been only one time in jan.2011 and havent been back every because i thought if i didnt pay again it was over just like the lady told me when i first was there in oct.2010 and i dont want my credit messed up because of this,so it u could please help me with this issue please do. i dont feel iam respondable for something that was told to me wrong, i feel i was trick into signing something i didnt understand completely. she gave me false information for me to sign the paper.please let me know if you could help i

Original review: July 1, 2011

I entered a drawing in a box at the local Jamba Juice (Draper, Utah) for a free one-year membership at Gold's Gym sometime during the third week of June (13th-17th). I got a call on the 17th saying I had won some kind of VIP award. I didn't know what a VIP membership was at the time, or what the award was. The man who helped me (Sandy Gold's Gym, 1300 E. 7990 S. Jonathan **) clarified that I didn't win the one-year membership and that I had won a 30- day free VIP award. He suggested that it meant I got a free VIP membership for one month with no strings attached and cost me nothing.

I went to his cubicle with him, and he continued to try and sell me a whole two-year contract for $22/month. I stated multiple times, very clearly, that I was barley 19, a student with no job and had no money. I stated multiple times I didn't want a full contract or to pay anything, I just wanted whatever the Jamba Juice award gave me for free. He seemed to comply, and filled out some paperwork asking me information as he filled it out. He reassured me multiple times it was only paperwork for my bar code to enter the gym. He said that the only reason he had to fill out the paperwork was so that it looked like a contract only for the bar code. He told me to put the paperwork away for 30 days then all would be canceled on July 25th so I could have the free membership and the bar code needed for gym entrance. He assured me that he was filling out the paperwork as if I were going to keep a two-year membership only because Gold's Gym corporate needed that information in their computer system to get me a bar code, that it was a very standard practice, he said.

His hand was covering the paperwork for the most part while he told me where to sign. Never once did his hand reveal the consumer warning as he again reassured me over and over that he was only allowing me to see paper where I was supposed to initial and sign. He never once gave me the opportunity to read it. Like any good salesman, he small-talked me quite a bit, and found out that if I did buy a VIP membership, I wouldn't need daycare or tanning and I was uninterested in a personal trainer.

A few days past and a friend of mine, who also entered the drawing but won the VIP like me, was talked into a full two-year contract and a personal trainer contract that she very clearly stated she didn't want. Fortunately, she was within the three-day period to cancel.

I started looking over my paperwork, which I had previously thought was unimportant since Mr. ** reassured me over and over that it was just information to get me a bar code. Unfortunately, as I read the paperwork, it became very clear to me that it was a full 24-month contract in the amount of $37.17 per month and included a daycare and tanning and personal training--everything he had assured me that it was not nor had I would have wanted if purchasing a contract for membership. After multiple calls to the Sandy Gym where Mr. ** originally "sold" me the contract, he couldn't seem to remember who I was and had no time for me.

I made a call to the headquarters of Utah and they told me the only thing I could do was sell the membership in KSL. I later drove to the headquarters to see what really could be done. A supervisor made a call to Mr. **, who assured them that he "sold" me a contract, and I knowingly signed it. I tried to reason with the office staff and acknowledged that I did sign the contract and wanted to rework the contract down then to a lower payment for lesser options as I did not need all the VIP options. I was trying desperately to make right my mistake; however, the staff was very discourteous and told me to be careful of what I sign in the future.

Original review: June 27, 2011

In February 2011, I met with a personal trainer of Gold's Gym, Bob. He stated that in order to ensure the terms of personal training with him, I would need to sign paperwork. I told him that I would not be able to pay for services at that time. He assured me that he would not process the contract; however, he sent it to Sandy, Utah's corporate office. I sent a letter to cancel the contract and through numerous e-mails, I am unable to cancel the contract (that was never in effect/ nor services used).

I did not receive a copy of the contract at that time. Bob said there was not a need to get a copy since it was not going to be processed. Bob denies everything. Personal trainer manager, Kaycee, stated she would put the contract on hold for three months until June 2011 due to my financial issues. I told her that I did not want the contract in February and still do not want the contract in June. It should not have been processed and no services were used. In addition, the contract was for two persons (my daughter and I). She had moved out of state for school, unable to use the services. Again, the contract was to be cancelled due to relocation. Gold's Gym is refusing to cancel the contract and is demanding payment in full when no services have been used.

Original review: June 23, 2011

I have been a member of Gold's Gym for about three years now. I have always enjoyed the gym, but today, I can honestly say that I wished that I never signed another contract. I am a teacher attempting to go back to school, and as of right now, money is a bit tight and I just wanted to see if there was any way that I could lower my rate because of my circumstances. It is my understanding that my school district has some type of agreement with the Gold's in the area, and I honestly just cannot afford more $40/month payments. I know of many people who do not pay that amount, but their rates have been lowered somehow.

Today, I just wanted to sit and discuss options, but when I contacted John ** about this, he was very discourteous and did not even attempt to hear my concern. As a matter of fact, I was never even offered a chair in the room full of salesmen. I understand that Gold's main concern is the money--and it was made very clear today. But I am a consumer that spends my hard-earned money to frequent this gym, and I was treated like customers do not even matter. I have never been so disappointed in any establishment that I support.

Like I've said, I've been here for three years, and I have never asked or complained about one thing. But when I have a legitimate concern, I'm treated like an insignificant member of your chain. I have even brought people in to join the gym, but never will I do that again. This is utterly ridiculous for someone to be treated like this. I understand this may be how mangers are trained, but how do you all plan to keep customers if your main concern is not the customer? As I've said, I am very disappointed and discouraged at how I was treated today. I will be contacting all Business Bureaus and Consumer Agencies to let them know. I just can't believe this is how customers are treated in the establishment that I've supported for three years.

Original review: June 8, 2011

On Monday, June 6, 2011, I went to the front desk to cancel my membership with Gold's Gym at the front desk. I spoke with the front desk lady Amanda. When she pulled my account up, she told me that I was not in a month to month basis. I was in a 2-year contract. At this time, I explained to Amanda that I was put in to a contract without being told when I resigned with Kevin from the membership dept. At this point, Amanda made a threat to me, "You will pay the $100 or else..."

On the same day, I spoke with Kevin from the membership dept. at 4:04 pm. He told me that, "Yes, I did put you in a 2-year contract. What are you going to do? Nobody will help you and you have to pay the $50 contract cancel fees." I then spoke with Judy on June 8, 2011 at 11:42 pm which she was very rude and had me on the speaker phone and had employees in the background laughing. She told me I had to pay $50 which I think was unfair that what they did to me. And she forced to me read the contract over the phone, made threats to me over the phone that, "No one will listen to you, not even Consumer Affairs or the Better Business Bureau." I would like the help of Consumer Affairs to return my $50.

Original review: May 14, 2011

I signed up for a $60 one-month trial membership which included a "100% guarantee refund." I cancelled my membership before the one month refund expired but they refused to refund the trial membership fee after calling Gold's gym at least three times, and then finally walked in to speak with the manager. I cancelled my membership (or thought I did). Three months later, I received a tiny email claiming that I owe Gold's Gym $150, and now I'm infuriated.

I have been scammed over $200. I am a full-time student with little part-time work. These con artists have stolen money that I need to pay for my schooling expenses.

Original review: May 9, 2011

I was a member of Gold’s Gym since 2005. I moved in October, therefore, my membership needed to be cancelled. I wrote a letter to ABC Financial and asked them to cancel my membership. The letter stated, "Please consider this as my 30-day notice and stop charging my credit card.” ABC Financial did not charge the last months payment even though my letter clearly stated "Consider this a 30-day notice" which in my opinion meant stop charging my credit card after 30 days. Now a $34 fee has been changed to $202 with added fees attached. I have no problem paying the $34 fee. I did not receive any letter from ABC Financial except one dated February 5th. I was notified of this situation when I called ABC Financial on March 8th. I should have received adequate notice since I have been receiving mail from my old address. I can only speculate that no other notice or letter was sent to me by ABC Financial.

This $202, in my opinion, is not a valid charge. I am willing to pay the $34, but now my case is with a credit agency and they are demanding $202 fee for a mistake that was done by ABC Financial i.e. not charging my credit card for the month of November. Please help me

Original review: March 27, 2011

I have attached a letter directed to Gold's Gym that explains what happened. This letter was mailed to them on March 14th 2011. Today is March 26 and I received a third notice saying that that I have ignored their previous efforts to collect. I really need help. The person that assisted my husband made an error and now they are tying to blame it on me. They also said that they were trying to contact me from Nov. to Dec. I never got a letter or phone call during that time. The first letter that I got was on Mid January. I immediately contacted Gold's Gym. I have made several efforts to clarify the situation to Gold's Gym and I am being ignored. I have a log of all my attempts to clear up this matter with Gold's Gym. I have tried by phone, e-mail, and mail and what happened, the facts are being ignored. Please read the following letter that explains the situation.

On September 2010 my husband, Angel Martinez, went in to Gold's Gym (Bandera Facility) to cancel our account. Our contract expired in September and we were moving to a new address. He told the person that assisted him that he needed to close our account. Gold's Gym front desk associate told him that by him signing both accounts were closed since he was the primary. He left thinking all was done. In January 14-16, I received a letter from Gold's Gym International stating I owed $81.06 in past dues since my account was not closed back in September with my husband's. The letter also stated that Gold's Gym representative have been trying to contact me by phone. I never received a phone call from Gold's Gym or any other kind of communication prior to this.

On January 24 I went to the facility in person (on Bandera). The person at the front desk that assisted me, Raymond ***, apologized for the inconvenience and gave a number to call to resolve this matter. I also filled out a membership cancellation questionnaire advised by Raymond **** to stop any more charges from Gold's Gym. I called the number I was given and after many tries of explaining, I find people at the other end transferring me from one person to the other unable to help me. I went back to the facility on March 6 to speak to Angel **** operations manager; he had told my husband back in January that he was going to send a letter to the corporate office in order to explain the situation. I asked Angel if he sent the letter but he could not recall. He checked your system and found no history of it.

I explained the situation one more time and he said that he was sending the letter that evening and he would let me know once corporate got back to him. He said it would not take more than 24 hours. I decided to call Angel ***** back on March 10 since I have not heard anything from him. He answered and said that their system was down, that he would call me as soon as the system was up. As of today, March 14, I have not received a call from Angel *****. I need for Gold's Gym to look at all documentation enclosed as an attempt to solve this issue which threatens to ruin my credit. Please also look at our payment history with Gold's Gym. We were faithful and exceptional customers for two years. Our obligation period was over, when my husband approached to cancel our account. In your records you should have the form that my husband filled out back in September. There is absolutely no need for us to have cancelled only one account since we were not planning of using the facility. As I mentioned before, we were moving to a new home and Gold's Gym location was no longer convenient for us. Did Gold's Gym front desk associate make an error at the time my husband approached to cancel our accounts?

If Gold's Gym FDA had mentioned that I needed to come in to cancel my own account, I would have taken immediate action on this matter. Would you also look at our check-in history in your system and see that my husband nor I had made use of the facility since my husband approached to cancel the account? We joined Gold Gym through my husband's employer (HEB). His employer had worked out a deal with Gold's Gym to offer HEB employees better rates and I would like to think that Gold's Gym also meets the same customer care his employer stands for. If we were misinformed by FDA and the facility have not being used since then, I ask that you make the right decision so my husband Angel **** and myself Yara *** can still maintain a relationship that can lead to future business with Gold's Gym.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2011

First of all, they basically conned me and my sister into getting a membership. But after a year, my husband lost his job, I'm getting less money on my part time job, and I am losing my home so I have tried for months now to get my membership cancelled. I tried to call the corporate headquarters and I get hung up on every time! I went to the place and couldn't get help once they knew that I wanted to cancel my membership. I was told to just call. I emailed them and was told that they'd cancel my membership. Then, the next month, I was charged again and ended up overdrawn in my account. They are absolutely ridiculous to work with and I would suggest that no one sign up with them.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2011

I gave my daughter a membership and exercise classes with a personal trainer. The original charge was $900, which I thought high. These classes were only for one month. They again billed on my MasterCard the next month, would not refund the $900 additional, then I got my MasterCard involved. They finally refunded on 7/30/2010 for the amount charged on 7/8/2010. Then they charged again $900 on 8/5/2010. My daughter was shocked, and no refund has been given. We are in the process of working on this very shady company.

I had trouble with the billing for myself after I had surgery on my foot, supplied letters from doctor, but to no avail for several months. I do not recommend ever using Gold's.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2010

We had a two year membership and we were going to cancel after that time. Every time I stopped after work, no machines were available and sometimes no parking spaces. And the place has such an odor, you can't breath. I called several months prior to December stating I was going to cancel and was told that if I come in in December and sign the cancellation form, no further charges would be applied to my account.

Well, guess what - they took out the monthly charge in December. I called the local gym - not only would the manager not listen but I also called the corporate office and registered my complaint and she said "You will be assessed this fee". She was very rude. I explained to the manager and the corporate office that I had spoke to several employees before and also the individual on the day I visited the gym to cancel and was told "no more fee assessment". Now they give me the bull of "it's in your contract".

I would not want my worst enemy to join Gold's unless they want to get a staff infection from the dirt and stink of this place. Not only this but their employees need attitude adjustments. Now, I hope they use my December fee to purchase cleaning supplies and do something with this place. Also, they are the most unfriendly people I know. Don't join Gold's! How can you keep up your health with exercise when you take the chance of getting sick from the odor at the gym.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2010

I went in and signed up for a membership. They neglected to tell me before I signed the contract that I was signing up for a 36-month membership. They did not show me a copy of the contract and said all I was signing for was the authorization to bill my credit card.

They never showed me a copy of the contract before I signed it and since I didn't know it was a contract I didn't know that was what I was signing. I'm now working full time and taking classes full time and have no time to use the membership. I just went in to try and cancel it and was told I had signed a 36 month contract and that there was nothing they could do.

The person who signed me up never said anything about what I was signing up for was a 36 month contract. I went in there interested in a month to month. They said, I was sent a copy of the contract but that was after I had already signed the contract and was sent by email.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2010

I joined Gold’s Gym Long Beach, CA on February 2010 with a 2-year contract. I stopped going and decided to cancel. Of course I didn't realize they would have zero opt-out options available, which is my responsibility to find out, except immediately upon calling with simple questions of how to opt out, pay out, transfer, and cancel this membership early. The manager Cristy became upset and got attitude. Her voice changed and she was in the defense. I understand there are rules but customer service is very important to me. I would not knowingly spend money where they are disrespectful or challenging to there clients. The idea that the managers won’t work with you at all, or even be friendly if you mention the word "cancel" is definitely mentionable.

And now, after reading the other complaints, I’m nervous if I pay the remaining $450 that I owe immediately to just be done with it, that they may make it difficult still. I don't appreciate the no-cancellation fee policy. Even $300 would be reasonable, really. Wish me luck. This is a notice, a warning people to know what Gold’s Gym’s policies are. I do take blame for not knowing myself. Do they even offer reasonable month to month option? I am now out an unfair amount of money I think. And I am quite nervous about the difficulty level of canceling this membership.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2010

My son joined Gold's Gym in his senior year of high school. It was a month to month contract since his plans where to go away to college and a 60-day notice of cancellation. They needed my credit card, in case he did not pay monthly. He did and the contract was canceled around June 1.He paid for June and July was paid for when he joined. They have charged my credit card for August, September, October and November.

The manager of Gold's Gym is saying that it was never canceled and I needed to come in and cancel. I have already cancelled and I am in the process of disputing this with the credit card company. They say they can't stop the monthly charges because it is not a recurring payment, but it is. Don't know what to do at this point. Please help.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2010

My 16 year old asked me to get him a one-year membership with Gold's Gym. Hesitantly, I complied and had the facility initiate payments debiting my credit card. At the almost one year mark, I entered the facility to cancel the membership. I was told by Gianna **, Assistant Manager of Gold's Gym in Ronkonkoma, that William, my now 17 year old son, had to sign the cancellation form along with me, have it notarzied and then the membership would be canceled. I asked why William had to sign since I was the one responsible for the payment? I was told that it was his contract and that he had to "allow" me to cancel it. I said that it was funny since I was the one paying for it.

Then I inquired why the form had to be notarized and Gianna said that it was "company policy." I was able to enter into a payment arrangement without a notary, but I had to terminate it with one? It was only a stumbling block to take advantage to bill me yet one more month.Since I am employed and my son attends school, it took about two weeks to get both of us together, sign the paper in front of a notary, and then I set forth to end my contract, William's membership, with Gold's Gym. During that two week time frame, I was once again billed for a month of gym use that we no longer wanted.

When I entered the facility, I brought a form for a representative to sign stating that they had received the cancellation agreement, that the form was completed correctly, and that the membership was over and there would be no more further billings. Surprisingly the representative (Stephanie) said that she wasn't comfortable with signing my form since the original contract supposedly stated that they needed 60 days advance notice to cancel a membership. I asked Stephanie to show me where in the contract that was stated and she could not show it to me.I have now left two messages for the owner, Dave **, to call me back to rectify this and I have not received a return phone call.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2010

I had a one year membership with Gold's Gym in which I was set up as an automatic withdrawal from my bank account on the 30th of every month. At the end of the one year contract, I contacted them to cancel the membership because I hardly got the time to use the membership and did not wish to renew the contract. The representative at ABC Financial Services, who handles their member services, told me to provide a letter in writing to cancel the services, in which I did (and do retain a copy). I thought that was it. Later, I find out my account is now in collections because instead of canceling me, I was converted over to monthly dues and my bank account was not charged because they turned me over to a "pay in person" account. I had sent in the cancellation letter, not a month to month or pay in person.

I had absolutely no intentions on having any kind of account with them any longer. I have argued with the collections representatives, sent them copies of the letter I had originally sent and thought the problem was solved. Now, I have an debt collection attorney calling me and threatening court! I am a single parent on disability and cannot afford an attorney to handle this! On top of that, this attorney is a real **** who talks to me like I am a complete idiot and doesn't want to hear anything unless I am going to pay him $217! This is an ongoing nightmare! I will never recommend Gold's Gym to anybody!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2010

Two years ago, I paid for block of membership upfront. I have since moved out of the region and do not actively use gym facilities no longer. They have been sending me bills saying that I'm past due. I never signed any contracts extending my membership or to continue my membership. So Phil from Westport facilities called me and become very abrasive and began telling me that he would help me out but I would have to pay $100. Then he began calling me buddy. Well for one, I'm not his buddy and two, I do not have any contract extending this membership. So he said that his contract will win and I would have to pay his legal fees for litigation. So I will turn this into my lawyer and personally make a visit to Gold's Gym in Westport to discuss this with Phil.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2010

Do not sign up for Gold's Gym! I signed up in June 2010 and stopped going a month later in July. I was unaware about the cancellation process that I had to go through and this resulted in $30 being taken from my bank account every month. Four months later and $120 wasted, I have to pay a $75 cancellation fee!

I almost wasted $200.00. The cancellation process or fee was not discussed in the so-called contract. Read before you sign anything.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2010

I joined the new Gold's Gym in North Las Vegas just south of the 215 in July of 2009. I was told when signing that the first month was free and it was a two year contract. If I moved to an area where there was no Gold's Gym, I would be allowed to cancel. Rather than giving me a free month, my account was debited immediately and I was informed that I had misunderstood what I was told. Anyway, it was a nice gym and conveniently on my way to work so I let it slide. Shortly thereafter, I was laid off from work and had to find temporary work in Arizona. Because I was temporary, I did not cancel. My official address was still in Nevada.

In late December of 2009, I moved to Oregon. I stopped by Gold's and told them I was moving but was told I needed to bring a utility bill or something official in. I did not have any of that. I have lived in a town just south of Portland since January of 2010 and monthly debits of $32.99 continued to be taken out of my account. I called Corporate to cancel and they informed me they could not cancel through them. I called Gold's in Las Vegas and the manager (who I was told I had to speak to) was never in. I tried a final time in May and then just gave up.

Rather than deal with the hoops, they had placed in the way of cancellation. I opened a new bank account, moved all my bills over to that account and cancelled the account that Gold's was debiting. The last debit before I closed the account was in August. Gold's had acted like they couldn't be sure where I lived or if I had really moved, however, I recently received a Past Due bill. It had not been forwarded from my old Vegas address but was sent directly to my Oregon address.

Obviously, they knew I was no longer in a position to partake in the service they provide, and I had expressed my desire to end our relationship. However, they saw (and continue to see) no fault on their part in collecting money for services rendered when none are. I was informed today that because I signed a contract with them, that if I don't pay, I will be sent to a collection agency. It is my contention that since I had $263.92 debited from my account after I was no longer able to go to their facilities, that I owe them nothing further and, in fact, it would be better said that they owe me.

Either way, until people stand up and say they won't pay, Gold's will continue to spit on the customer and try to intimidate you. I was a SNAP member also and as soon as I told them I wouldn't be able to stay on, they quit charging my account. Gold's behaves as if once you sign a contract with them, you are bound and they are not. For my part, they will not get one dime more from me. Ever.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2010

My son was a member there for several months. His job transferred him to Key West, Florida. There is not a Gold's Gym in Key West. He contacted them and was told he would have to give proof of change of address, statement from employer, copy of new license and one hundred and forty dollar cancellation fee. He did everything they asked him too. So at our new address the following month, he then receives another bill from Gold's gym. He contacts them again. They ask for everything again, the employer's statement, the new license. He sends these again and 2 months later gets another bill. He contacts them again and believe it or not, he does it all again. He sends in all the paper work and was told it was okay. Until last month, he gets a bill from Gold's Gym's collection service.

While, reading complaints from New York to Florida, it seems that Gold's has a common theme, crooked practices. I really think something legally should be done, to prevent them them from doing this to hard working consumers. They have a blatant disregard for their customers. I have personally emailed their corporate office and have been totally ignored. I just think the word should get out about their unethical standards of dealing with people.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2010

When my daughter was only 15, she was coaxed to enter into a contract with the gym. I was told that she could cancel at any time. She went that one time. Before leaving, she told them that she would not return. Years later in her adult life, her non-payments are still showing up on her credit rating. In September 2010, I fell for the "$10 a month and only $1 to sign up" scam. I am disabled and went in there with a friend of mine that is around 400lbs. Then they hit us with the $79 extra maintenance fee, a total of $158. Because we did not fit the "type" of customers that they were looking for, all of the salespeople were some of the most rudest employees that I have ever met. After reading these comments, I am very thankful that we were fortunate enough to have been treated in an honest manner. If they are rude for us just trying to get in as customers, imagine what we would have gone through if Gold's Gym would have gotten our credit card number?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2010

I decided to join the gym after hearing that there was a deal 2 for 1. I took my sister and daughter and bought the membership for both of them. The person that helped me said that he would give me the same deal if I wanted for more people. I told him I was going to come back to sign up 4 more. When I got there, I asked for him and another person, Rodrigo offered to help me. I told him about the deal that was offered to me and said he was going to give me a better one. He charged $78 for each person.

I was so excited because instead of $156, I thought I was only paying 78 for each of us and for the whole year just like the previous one. Anyways, I get my statement and it shows that they have charged a monthly payment for the 4 accounts. I went in and talked to the manager and said that I had agreed to make those payments. I told him that I trusted him and thought he had given me a better deal. I know that is partly my fault because I did not read the contract, but I thought I was getting the same thing I got 2 days before. Now they don't want me to keep paying a $39 monthly payment for 4 persons.

Paying $39 for 4 persons on a monthly basis is a lot and I don't have that kind of money. I told them that I wanted to cancel and they said I have to pay $100 for each cancellation. After reading some of the complaints, I got scared because I don't want that to happen to me. I want to be able to cancel and don't have any more problems. I also told them that I can pay the difference to make up for $156 for each person. I'm waiting for their response.

Gold's Gym Company Information