Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.75/5

Gold's Gym Reviews

Original review: Jan. 27, 2014

Last year, I would have given this gym 4 stars (good personal trainer, but my coat was stolen right off the coat rack in the middle of winter during the hour I was training). However, since I was injured last spring and couldn't work out, it's been a different story. I called to either suspend or cancel my account when I was injured, and when I explained I was physically unable to do so, I was told there was no other option and I would be charged monthly until I was able to appear physically to cancel. When I finally was able to get in, I did cancel (I was way outside my contract period so there was thankfully no cancellation charge). However, I continued to be billed.

When I called to complain, I was told there is a 30-day notification requirement so I would be billed for an additional month - the fact that I had notified them repeatedly since last April by phone doesn't count, since I didn't give notice in person (which I couldn't do). I was then told I could call a customer care line to complain, and it was implied that had I called them in April. I could have suspended or cancelled that way (wish I'd known that in April). I had read about this sort of problem with Gold's before I signed up, but since the gym is close to my home and work, I signed up anyway. Thus, I paid $300 to Gold's for no services at all. I called customer care and after being on hold for 25 minutes, I finally reached someone who will have the gym manager contact me if I email them the complaint. I'll give it a try, although I am not looking forward to spending more time on a wild goose chase!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2014

We joined Gold's Gym and in addition to paying the fee every month for 2 years and also prepaid $1250 for personal training. My wife was injured and could not take advantage of the personal training. Gold's absolutely refused any refund. These guys define the word sleazy. Read everything they give you and don't sign unless you understand their termination and refund polices (no refunds ever for any reason).

Original review: Jan. 20, 2014

Gold's Gym does not care about you as a customer, rather all they care about is their previous billing cycles. They structure their contracts in a predatory way and will chase you down until they have robbed you blind, even if you have tried to cancel. Even if I lived above a Gold's Gym, I would never, ever join them again. It's a vile company and is structured to take advantage of its customers. Beware.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2014

Gold's Gym is a nightmare to deal with. I tried to take my 14-year-old daughter to try out the gym and get her involved in exercising. Gold's Gym would not let her try it out for liability reasons which I can understand. However, they will not let her do a month to month membership even with both parents being members. They required a one year contract for a 14-year-old. I would advise everyone to not join Gold's Gym. Try to contact their customer service and see what happens. You can't contact them. They care about the bottom line and not their members. They also have no common sense.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2014

I joined Gold's Gym in July. I found that the 45 minute drive each way was more of a chore than I expected. After 6 months I used my membership 2 times. I decided to cancel and found out all the information I was told about my membership was false. They charged me an additional $49.00 to cancel. There is a huge billboard 1 mile from the gym that states month to month, no contract. I asked for that and was told by the gym associate that I could cancel at any time. I feel they lie to people and I would recommend finding another gym with more integrity. Once they have access to your bank account it's hard to get them to stop.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2014

Gold's Gym sales people lie to make the sale, they told my mom her membership would be free due to her membership with Aetna Silver Sneakers but instead they added her to MY account and made her self-pay and I didn't realize it. So, I immediately cancel her membership. 1.5 years later, they charge MY credit card for back dues $600 and they claim that they "never received" my cancellation. And, its all "legal" so I have no recourse.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2014

Gold's Gym is the biggest rip off. If you are considering getting yourself or your teens memberships there on a monthly basis, DON’T. Once they get your credit card number they will NOT let you cancel. Worst customer service I have ever experienced... I cancelled both girls in May and they kept taking out monthly fees. In July, they took out two yearly fees. And I called and talked to three different people. They would not cancel my account. So finally in Sept, my card expired. Now, I am getting collection calls for both of my kids who are minors. Is that even legal? They will not get another dime from me... EVER.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2014

Gold's Gym **Gift Certificate Scam**: You are awarded a Gift Certificate for a 3, 6 or 12 month membership. When you redeem the certificate, you are secretly granted a ONE month trial membership (instead of one year). 10 - 14 days into your fitness plan, the sales staff informs you that, "Your certificate was deemed invalid. If you want to keep working out, you have to purchase a membership." The *crime* is that their C.P.A. is writing off an inflated value for the full term of the membership certificates.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2014

I haven't been a member for years. I was member when I was 18 (I'm 25) so it might seem ridiculous to put this out there now but it still irritates me when I think about it. I don't know if they offer month to month memberships now but at the time they did not, so I signed up for a 6 month membership. A month and half into my membership, I was involved in a car accident... This resulted in a herniated disc with sciatica which if you don't know is EXTREMELY painful (I don't have kids but I'd be willing to compare the pain of labor) and for a few weeks, I was bedridden and even after that was limping around for months. When this happened, I got a doctor's note and even had x-rays to show them that I was unable to do any gym activities and would be for a while so I wanted to cancel my membership.

They told me they were sorry this happened to me but I'd still have to pay a $250 cancellation fee... being 18 and not knowing what else to do, I begrudgingly paid the fee. I wish I had been wiser and not as timid and naive because after talking to a few people and gaining some common sense, I should have consulted an attorney as well as insisted on a copy of my contract of which I was never provided after the initial signing. Again, I'm aware this happened years ago but be forewarned... These are not ethical people.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2014

Gold's Gym debited my credit card from 02/2012 until October 2013 and I disputed their right to do this and asked for a refund. Here are the facts:

I joined GG in 04/2011. In 09/2011, I went to the Redmond GG and asked to cancel my membership as I had just come out of hospital and had been advised not to exercise unless under the supervision of a hospital physical therapist. My Mom and I went into the Gold's Gym in Redmond and spoke with a representative there and asked to cancel my membership. The girl was reluctant to do this and we had to wait for almost an hour before she turned us over to a member of the management team who advised me to freeze my account instead of canceling it and having to pay the cancellation fee. That way I could either keep my membership and see how things went with the doctor or cancel it later on.

Apparently, from what I was told today, the account was not frozen as this is "not an option with a one-year membership account." If it is not an option, why did the Manager tell my Mom and me that it was and have us freeze the account? I spoke with MELISSA at MEMBER SERVICES for GOLD'S GYM NORTHWEST, BOTHELL-REDMOND-ISSAQUAH, memberservices@goldsgymnorthwest.com and was told that Gold's Gym had sent me "several emails advising me that the freeze was not possible" and had no response from me so they reactivated my account. When I asked for copies of the email(s), I was told that Gold's Gym records do not go back that far. Well my records do go back several years, and I can find nothing from Gold's Gym in my email. I requested that they send me copies of all correspondence they had with me. Nothing has been provided as Gold's Gym cannot locate either the emails or correspondence sent to me.

Melissa also stated that "a representative of Gold's Gym had tried on several occasions to call me on my cell, and even left messages." I asked for the telephone number from which these calls were placed as my cell phone carrier assures me that they can go back and provide me with the call records to verify this. Again, nothing has been provided, as Gold's Gym did not keep track of calls made to members. Melissa then told me that Gold's Gym had begun debiting the account in February of 2012 until last October at the rate of $64.61 per month and that this only stopped when my credit card expired. Clearly, they had not been sending monthly statements until we received a collection letter dated 11/30/2013. According to Melissa, Gold's Gym does not have to send out billing statements and the fact that they billed me for almost 2 years was my "fault for not looking at my credit card statements."

I agree with this, but I am a student with a full time job and have not been using my credit card, so could not have imagined that anyone would be charging my account in this way. In total, Gold's Gym has billed me for at least 22 months' worth of fees when I had not even been to Gold's in years. Melissa stated that "many clients do keep up their membership even though they do not go to the gym." This is not what happened in my case. I tried to cancel, was told by a "member of the management team" that I should freeze my account instead and now I am out over $1300. It is true that I should have been checking my credit card statements but I am a part-time student with a full time job and I just did not think that Gold's Gym or anyone would be billing me like this. I asked Gold's to review my account and to provide me with the documentation I had requested, but they came up with no documentation other than the contract that I signed and pointed out repeatedly that it is my fault and my problem that I did not fully understand the contract.

Gold's Gym's response: "As it states on the form, your membership will automatically resume at the end of your freeze and per the agreement that you signed, you must provide written notice of cancellation." Gold's Gym made it very difficult to cancel membership in person and pushed hard for the freeze: I believe that this tactic should not be permitted.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2014

Jason in Falls Church, the exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. I lost my credit card and then I filled out a form at one of the Gold's Gym front desk to provide them with my new credit card. A while later I was contacted by a credit collection agency to collect money from me. After so many phone calls and talking to the front desk staff, I finally had the front desk person (I think he might be the manager) call the credit collection agency to square things out. However, this was not the worst. I cannot believe that Gold's Gym staff forged my signature and upgraded my membership in September 2013. I found this out when I cancelled my membership in November and Gold's Gym are still charging my credit card that they have on file for my membership due.

When I called Gold's Gym corporate office, the representative told me that since I upgraded my membership I am obligated to 1-year membership with them. When they forwarded the Membership Dues Addendum to me, I told them that I have never seen this form before and nor of my signature on it. Now that they need me to prove that the signature on this form is not mine. This is ridiculous. I am so upset and I am going to write this comment on all Review sites to make sure people know about this and hopefully it will not happen to anyone again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2013

I lost the credit card that Gold's Gym was billing. I happened to be traveling about 75% of the time when I lost it, as I had taken a new job and was commuting back and forth in the process of moving. When I realized Gold's Gym was trying to bill a card I had lost, I called the gym and tried to cancel. Was told the person I needed to speak to was not in. Called back later, and was placed on hold indefinitely. I returned home from one of many trips to see two letters from their collections department. I responded with a letter explaining that my credit card had been lost and that I wanted to rectify the situation but also to make sure that my membership was cancelled, and I asked them to contact me. They did not contact me or even acknowledge this letter, but sent me another letter stating that I had not responded to any of their communications, and they were going to send me to a credit collection agency. I called their number and was placed on hold for almost 25 minutes before I was finally able to talk to a human being.

Bottom line: Gold's Gym does not treat their customers well. As soon as you want to cancel, they make it almost impossible to do so. Do not, ever, subscribe to Gold's Gym. Go to a local gym and pay by the visit.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2013

Working out off and on for the past 3-4 years, I have been harassed and threatened extensively by Gold's Gym regulars and anonymous unknown perpetrators aiding them to prevent and push me out of both the facility and membership. I notified management and the police but they said I am bogusly reporting these things and nothing is really happening or being done to me. I have quit because of this and it still occurs for whatever reasons. No one should ever have to deal with this nonsense and be hurt by ignorance on part of the involved members, people or workers and or especially the police department. Something should be done about this every time other than hurt and humiliate me about speaking out on what is happening to me. What do I do when I am lied to in the face by these people and the law enforcement because I am disliked or hated and abused in and out of the gym by these people? That is not a standard and it is not what I want to happen to me anymore.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2013

Went in on a free week pass at a new location that opened up in town in the summer. As a college student, I wanted a more local place since my usual gym was far away. I ended up signing up (WORST MISTAKE) with a nice employee, who however was rehired at that location as a personal trainer but they had him on duty signing people up for memberships (Read: They offered him a job if he signed people up for this membership by just showing them certain conditions, and telling them certain phrases, but since you are new and you don't handle the strict policies you aren't well versed in how shady and underhanded this contract is) (also read: baiting).

Well, I signed up and was assured that as a student when I need to cancel, I can come back and bring my schedule of classes and my ID and they would cancel my account no problem with no fees. End of summer shows up and I can't talk to the man who signed me up because now he is a full time personal trainer (Read: the switch). I ask to cancel my membership (thus the beginning of my IMMENSE HEADACHE) and first they told me I can only cancel with a manager, and he only comes in after 10. I come in after 10 and they have me waiting 30 minutes.

The manager is a huge bulking guy and after the now infamous question "What is the reason for cancellation?" He proceeded to tell me the clause wasn't for students, it was for a moving out of area clause, and that I didn't qualify (HOW DID THIS GUY KNOW HOW FAR AWAY MY SCHOOL WAS AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW AND I GO THERE EVERY YEAR). Then he said even if I did qualify, I would have to pay the $100 cancellation fee, there was never a waiver of the cancellation fees.

Flabbergasted, I asked what can I do? I am not going to pay full price for a membership when I have a LARGER NICER gym than that one! He told me I can freeze the account, but it would be 7 dollars a month (TO NOT EVEN USE THE PLACE JUST TO HAVE THE PLASTIC PIECE ON ME THAT SAYS GOLD'S GYM!!) or continue paying the full monthly price. Upset but desperate I said I would choose the latter option, to which he told me he can only freeze the account for 3 months. I went ahead for the maximum amount of time. The three months, and sure enough every month on the dot out went 7 dollars for no good reason whatsoever.

Upset, I called the trainer that signed me up and explained how they wouldn't let me cancel and I was suckered for more money. He offered his sincerest apologies and said if I talked to the manager that was all that could be done, but he regretted he wasn't better informed of those circumstances because they only had him signing people up for TWO WEEKS (i.e., perfect bait and switch plot!). During my freeze period, I actually ended up being sick, with edema in the face and a mysterious lump under my throat with pain. I took time off work, and the DOCTOR didn't even diagnose me! So I had no idea what was going on with me or causing my physical and emotional deterioration! She just prescribed me meds that had side effects with more meds!

Being off work, I now realized I really didn't have the money for that monthly subscription to go through again, so I called the gym and asked if they could reverse that payment (STILL PROCESSING IN MY BANK ACCOUNT) and refreeze my account with the 7-dollar fee at least to keep my bills at a minimum. The first girl I talked to was very nice, and even confused as to why I couldn't cancel my account after I told her my troubles, but she said no manager was in the office to handle my request and to call again. I call back and this manager asked once again "What is the reason for cancelling?" and I said "I don't have the money right now, and I would like to refreeze my account and reverse the payment that went through."

She then rudely told me that "The payment already went through and since you already told me you don't have the money there is nothing we can do about it." Shocked, I snapped back "I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY BECAUSE I GOT SICK WITH MYSTERIOUS SYMPTOMS AND CAN'T AFFORD THE FULL PAYMENT RIGHT NOW" She snobbishly replied back "We can only do that with a doctor's note." And I asked "SO HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO GET THAT DONE? BECAUSE YOUR POLICIES ARE HORRENDOUS AND STRICT?" And she "Oh I don't know, I would do it right away," and then HUNG UP ON ME. I call the my doctor and says she can give no clearance for anything because it is out of her time frame (read: Sure I never diagnosed you so you could rightfully address the problem but since it has been more than a month and you have had no symptoms, regardless of what you did to make sure they did not reoccur i.e., like take time off of work, I can do nothing about it until you get sick again and you pay me just for me to continue not telling you what's wrong with you and prescribe meds with more side effects and you keep coming back and paying me more money).

Knowing there was no hope, I went in person today to refreeze my account since nothing could be done about my last payment and asked to see a manager. The girls at the front desk were not cheerful and disheartenedly asked what for, and I said about my membership. After a little while, a girl with a frown called me back and asked what I needed and I politely asked WITH A SMILE "can I please see a manager?" and she was like "what for?" and annoyed I gritted my teeth and said "refreezing my account" and she was like, "you can do that here" and began typing away.

Depressed and now further annoyed she asked "reason for freezing?" (honestly WHY, do they need to know every detail about my life? WHY DOES IT MATTER I WANT TO FREEZE IT, YOU'RE STILL TAKING MY MONEY ANYWAY!) and I say because I never use it, I have another gym I can get in for free as a college student. She just looks at me sans smile with a touch of annoyance and went on "how long would you like to freeze it for?" and I said, "Why? Isn't the maximum three months?" and she just nodded and went and froze it, and had me sign and then I asked, "Now my next question is about canceling. I signed up in May of this year. I know I will come in in April next year and let them know to cancel my account because then my contract for 12 Months will be over, correct?" And she said, "Yes but freezing it extends it."

I stop, "Wait, what do you mean?" She says, "If you refreeze it in April with will auto renew and extend your membership" and I'm thinking what is this girl talking about so drearily, I just asked if I could cancel it in April not re-extend it by freezing it! And I ask for clarification and she says "When you freeze your account, it's not active for your memberships which means it pushes your contract months to longer." BIG WHAT IN THE WORLD, I tell her I was NEVER INFORMED OF THIS WHEN I FROZE MY ACCOUNT and so I asked, "Alright how much would it cost to get out of this contract?"

She said a cancellation fee of a hundred dollars but it doesn't matter since she just refroze my account! AKA once again they lied to the customer without disclosing their full terms of what it means which this whole freezing things isn't even in the contract with basically allows them to make up rules and once again signed me away into giving them stealing more money away from without giving me a full understanding as a legal bound customer what my rights and knowledge should be. Angry and disillusioned, I asked, "So this means my account has been pushed back six months??" And she goes, "Did you already freeze it before?"

I nodded and she replied "Yes, that means you still have six months left on your contract and will have a cancellation fee of 50 dollars." Dismayed and frustrated, I replied "Okay, thank you," as best as I could and left... and immediately called the trainer who signed me up. I literally cried into the phone and told him how frustrating this whole experience has been and how shady this whole operation was and how multiple times now they haven't clearly disclosed or avoided telling the customer vital information and just letting themselves sign things away WITH NO CLEAR NOTICE BEFORE SIGNING. They just say sign here and tell you things in and after the fact.

I told him how rude everyone has been, how a manager HUNG UP ON ME, and he said he would go in right away and even get corporate numbers for me to call to get this resolved and how they just had a meeting saying if they didn't have the information to give customers correctly, they should elevate it to higher orders (read: they got tons of complaints and they need to stop telling false information!!). He was nice as always, and said I had a right to feel that way. I thanked him but know that he really probably can't and won't be able to do anything.

Avoid this gym at all costs. It has been such a headache and a huge lesson learned that this is a shady and underhanded business. My complaint is not single as seen here. Please read these and judge wisely before you sign!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2013

My boyfriend signed a 1-year contract that included VIP privileges, and I put my card on file for payment. Two months later, my boyfriend started paramedic school and could not go to the gym as much, so I called and asked if I could change the main account holder to myself as I was the one paying anyway. The General Manager, Lance, said it was absolutely not a problem; I just had to authorize the change in account holders and bring my card in for confirmation. When I came in, Lance asked me to sign a couple things and said that I was simply agreeing to switch account holders. When this was done, I asked if my boyfriend could use the VIP privileges since I was now the account holder. Lance replied that the privileges were now gone and if my boyfriend wanted to sign up for an account, Lance would do so for him for an additional fee. I was very confused about why the privileges were gone, but Lance said that everything would be fine.

Approximately nine days after this meeting, I received an email from Lance containing a copy of an entirely new 1-year contract that charged me a $59.00 processing fee. I contacted him immediately, asking why I had been involuntarily entered into a new contract and why I had been charged such a fee, and Lance said he didn't know why that had happened and he would refund me right away. I contacted him weekly for about three weeks thereafter, but he would constantly say that I could expect it in a few days. After nearly two months, I emailed him asking for a written response, but never received a reply from him. I still have not received my refund and am still in a contract that I never agreed to enter into. I do not even go to Gold's Gym anymore because I do not know where my account stands.

When Lance had me sign a new contract under pretenses that I was making myself the main account holder, he essentially voided the original contract. Moreover, Gold's Gym allows customers to have five days to change their minds, but Lance took that consumer right away from me when he intentionally waited nine days to email me a new contract that I had never agreed to enter. I have since contacted the BBB who has forwarded my complaint to them, but they have not yet responded. The BBB has forwarded my complaint to them for the second time as of today, and they have up until December 5, 2013 to reply. How much do you want to bet that I won't hear anything from them? If anyone can give me any advice, I would truly appreciate it if you can add a response to my submission. Thank you so much.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2013

I have been a member in GOOD STANDING with Gold's Gym on and off for almost 10 years. All of a sudden, I get a phone call yesterday from a collections agency stating that I am over 90 days past due on my account. I drove to Gold's Gym last night to resolve the problem. I was informed by two different employees that the primary credit card on the account had expired; however, they both also stated that there was also a valid credit card on file that I provided but the individual who input the credit card information put it in the incorrect field and the automatic draft was unable to withdraw from the correct credit card due to the employee's error. At this point, my account is 90 days past due and has additional late fees.

In good faith, we paid the three months past due on the account. The young girl and gentleman were very compassionate and said I did not need to pay the late fees because it was clearly not my fault. They assured me that their manager would call me back to resolve the issue today and that she would gladly contact the collections agency to let them know that I had paid the past due amount in person at the facility. I never heard from the manager so I decided to reach out to her. When she answered the phone, she was immediately curt and clearly in no mood to discuss my problems. I was put on the defensive. She was extremely unprofessional from a customer service standpoint. She did not listen to my issue and continued repeating that I would have to take it up with the collections agency because it was out of her hands. She did not once apologize for the error on Gold's Gym's part and tried to hang up on me at one point.

After looking over the Consumer Affairs website, I see that this is the second complaint in the past two months that Michelle **, manager of Gold's Gym Norcross, has received regarding her attitude with customers. I have been a loyal customer and have always paid my account on time. I have brought 7 additional individuals to Gold's Gym who are all still current members. I was told that I would receive some sort of benefit from recruiting individuals to Gold's Gym and still to this day have not received even as much as a thank you. Up until this point, I was not certain whether or not I would keep my membership with Gold's Gym; however, after my conversation with Michelle **, manager, I have sent my certified letter (per their requirement) to cancel my membership and will never support nor refer Gold's Gym in the future.

I am amazed that owners would allow such a hostile individual to represent their company. To file a complaint with Corporate, which I intend to do later today, the information is provided below:

Gold's Gym International, Inc.
    125 E. John Carpenter Fwy
    Suite 1300

Irving, TX 75062

Original review: Nov. 8, 2013

SCAM...is all that I need to say. I signed up for a month to month basis. Thank god now that I've read others' review of their nightmare when it comes to cancelling their membership. I signed up to use the pool. After about 3-4 weeks, I developed a skin rash on the last swim. I went to one of the person working there to see if we can get this issue resolve. He went into full denial mode. Blaming everything but the pool itself. So I canceled the membership.

Note, I cancel my membership 2-3 days before the start of next month. So I figured that I'm done with this place, and life moves on. Guess what, I am still getting charge. I just found out that you have to let them know 30 days in advance of cancellation. What is the reason for this? Are they using monkeys to do paper work? Only monkeys take that long to process a membership cancellation. Well it's kind of obvious that they are SCAMMING their own members. Good luck with any one else in my family and friends signing up with your piece of ** gym.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2013

My experience with Gold's Gym has been overall awful, saddening and a scam. I wish I read over the contract and asked for a copy to keep. But when I did I never thought of the consequences. I was told I could get a two-year contract and could drop out of it anytime for a charge of $200. I moved over a year ago to a different province and canceled with them and they did take the $200 out but kept taking out ridiculous amounts out of my bank account after I cancelled. I later realized as I phone today that I signed a 3-yr contract which I was told I only signed a two and even paying out the $200. They kept taking money out, like ridiculous amounts! Like one time 147, the other 87 and so I then realize they out me into collections so now I have no choice to pay $1,300 to them. Even after I paid out the $200 in our initial agreement...

I am so disappointed at their service. They rip you off after you cancel with them and even after that they kept stealing my money and now because of them my banking credit is a nightmare for the next 7 years and I have to pay 1,300 which is complete crap. NEVER sign up with Gold's. Please take my word. It has caused such a headache and still is even after cancelled over a year ago and paying out they will still take your money and ruin your credit. Never sign with Gold's. They're terrible and the worst company I've dealt with.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2013

I tried cancelling on 8/27/13. Said had to wait for 30 days, which I did. They still drafted another payment in September, which I was OK with since my 30 days interfered with my normal drafting period. Then AFTER my 30 day notice they drafted for their annual fee for 2014. Um, why? I am not a member and will not be from here on out. Called customer care, can't get anyone. You get the run around, push this and that, then wait because "call volume is longer than normal". Then you get someone and the call is mysteriously dropped. You have to repeat the whole process again.

I go up there and was told very rudely that I was not entitled to any refund because I was still a member until November. November? I cancelled in August! 30 days puts me in September, so, why November? Because they say I paid for the first and last month when I signed up. Don't recall but that was almost 2 years ago. OK fair enough, my complaint and since it’s just little ol' one person from backwoods no name town it went unheard. But if I paid my last month, isn't that why we have to give a 30 day notice? Shouldn't that be what the last month covers? And why do I need to pay an annual fee for 2014, if I'm not a member?

I have yet to have a single question answered. I have filed a complaint with BBB and that did not help whatsoever. Gold’s responded with the same story. 30 days’ notice was met but still an active member until November which is why I was charged the annual fee. BBB asked if I was satisfied. I stated no, and pleaded my case again, in which they found no merit and no breach of contract for Gold's Gym. I am currently in the process of gathering my bank statements and my contract that I was already out of by the way and turning it in back to BBB so they have proof of breach of contract. I don't understand why they can't answer a couple of simple questions, that may satisfy me and make me ok with them drafting my account. Right now I feel robbed.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2013

DO NOT SIGN UP ANY CONTRACT WITH THEM if there is any little chance you will relocate to another place. The whole process to get rid of them is hard, complicated and time consuming. When I signed the contract, they told me that the airline ticket could be a proof for international relocation. But now, after struggling with several months, they still charge my money even after they know you are not here anymore for sure which is direct contrast with their promise.

Additionally, you need to call, to sign, to hear the unrelated questions and to explain to them again and again. The gym should spend more time on improving the qualification of their service, such as hiring more qualified group instructors, or trying to enlarge the classroom. Instead, they spent lots of time on setting up problems for you to leave so they can keep charging your money. I doubt how long the company with philosophy like this will exist.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2013

WARNING! Gold's allows unauthorized pictures to be taken of clients and then distributed across their network. A picture of me working with my trainer was surreptitiously taken and then distributed by their Regional Fitness Manager to other Gold's employees across the network with the caption "What's wrong with this picture?" (Supposedly, the trainer wasn't positioned to catch me if I fell off the ball). I asked for an apology and removal of the picture but received neither. I had to get an attorney to obtain a permanent restraining order against distribution of the pictures which had been taken with a cell phone. So be very careful - that person checking his cell phone may well be an employee taking your picture.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2013

As many others have noted here, Gold's Gym's customer service and other employees are clearly not afraid to flat out lie regarding the details of the paperwork you sign when you sign up with Gold's Gym. My wife signed up for Gold's Gym on a newly constructed one (Santa Ana) and we thought it was an excellent deal. We found a great rate and they promised us it was a monthly rate with no commitment. After several headaches with various assistant managers with other issues, such as kids' care, we finally decided to cancel our membership, only to discover that we were actually bound by a two-year contract. *NEVER* did anyone mention we were signing up for a two-year contract, not a single time. We've tried to resolve this over the phone, but every employee dodges the issue and says we must handle this in person, there are no cancellations over the phone. Okay, fine. We go in-person to attempt to cancel and every single time, "the General Manager is not in today", so they're unable to address our issue. They recommend another day and time to come in. We come back in during their recommended time and lo-and-behold, the manager is not there. Gold's Gym is by far the worst gym experience you'll ever have. There are far better places and experiences, I highly recommend you find them. Good luck.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2013

Gold's Gym Ft Myers, FL could not figure out how to debit my Fidelity debit card. So I cancelled the card and paid with a check. When asked for another credit or debit card, I said I will pay by cash or check. Mr. ** insisted on a card not a check. He then terminated our memberships, instructed us not to go to any Gold's Gym and placed us with their collection agency despite the fact that we had paid for the current month. I think he owes us money. Okay, fine. We are at Anytime Fitness now, a great staff, and a much cleaner facility and some super classes for seniors.

Gold's Gym customer service is a scam. I have called several times and used every option, waited for hours and no one ever answers. Never sign a contract with Gold's Gym! It's a lawsuit waiting to happen. I will report Mr. ** to the state's attorney for unethical Business practices. Also to the Florida Dept of Elder Affairs for senior abuse.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2013

Bunch of THIEVES. My wife sign for Personal Trainer. I cancel the same day. They kept charging us for about 7 months. When I found out about it, I went to the gym and I was told the person that cancel the Personal Trainer got fired and didn't do anything, so another manager that was a trainer when I cancel that was promoted to manager was helping us and he knew that we did cancel the Personal Trainer was FIRED too. So they now have $500.00 that I never authorized and no one is helping us. Every time I call, I get a yes, they are going to help us and I never get help. I can't get no other phone number but the one for the local gym that is not really helping. If someone has a number, please help me... and stay away from those THIEVES. They will do anything to get you and steal your money.... The gym this happen to me was in West Covina, California.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2013

When I first spoke with the Gym person that was filling out the agreement, he assured me that I could cancel it at any time. The reason I started with that was because my wife has a condition on her cervical and lumbar vertebrae. And since I want to give the membership as Christmas gift, I needed to make sure it was revocable in case she couldn't come. In addition I am commuting 2 hrs for work each way so I had to be able to cancel in case I need to take care of things she could not do. She never once set foot on the gym.

So later on when I tried to cancel they threw the contract at me saying that it was non-binding and would not even discuss although they had collected plenty of money from two that did not use the gym for a good reason and one we discussed in advance. I read enough so I am contacting an attorney and go from there.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2013

My husband and I decided to join a gym. The location closest to my home (Cedar Park, Texas) is very nice, clean and always packed with people. I was excited to join and decided to purchase personal training sessions for both of us. For 18 training sessions each, the total purchase price was around 1,800 dollars plus fees. This was a steep price but I wrote out post-dated checks to come out of my checking account. Two separate payments for my sessions (450 each) and three separate payments for my husband's (300 each). I went to my fitness evaluation and really liked my trainer and the plan he developed for me. My husband went to his eval and was not as happy. He felt his trainer pushed him too far and didn't give him adequate instruction as to proper form during the exercises. He ended up straining his back and was unable to go into the gym for two weeks.

In the meantime, I saw my trainer another two times until he informed me that he was being deployed and was going to have to transfer me to the services of another trainer. I was still optimistic and looking forward to continuing my training. However, this is when things began to fall apart. I had no one call me for at least a week. Then the next week, I had two trainers call me each competing for my business. I scheduled with one only to have the second one call me and tell me that he canceled that session and wanted to put me on his schedule instead. By this time, it was almost time for our second set of payments to come out of my checking account. My husband and I talked and decided that the training sessions were a little much and that we should try to cancel them and have them return the post dated checks to us.

This was in July 2013 and it is now September 27, 2013. I finally had to go to my bank and put stop payments on both of the checks for our second payments because Gold's refused to give me the checks back. Then after speaking with the manager, he told me that he had destroyed the last 300 dollar check for my husband's last raining sessions. By the way, any communication that has taken place has occurred in person. Every single time I call the gym, the manager or assistant manager is always 'on break' or 'on the phone' or 'at lunch'. I am only told this after they ask who is calling and why I am calling. I always leave a very polite message with my name and number asking for a return call. I never get one. So, I have to go into the gym and only then do I speak with anyone.

Then I am told that an email or phone call has to be made to a district manager or to corporate.... but I never hear back. Today, I logged onto my checking account only to see a 300 dollar charge from Gold's Gym. I immediately called my bank and found out that the charge was not the check that was supposedly destroyed but was a payment run on my check card and therefore could not be returned. I did not authorize any charge to my card other than our monthly dues. I did not sign that any other balance could be run through my card and certainly did not sign any authorization to run it today. I am furious! I have called the location several times today and have been given the runaround.

I can't find any number for a district or area manager. I have called the 800 number for customer care and waited on hold for 30 minutes until I got through and then was told that they couldn't talk to me because it was my husband's account. These are all stall tactics that they use to wear people down, to allow time to pass until it's too late to address the problem in any timely manner. I am thinking about calling an attorney and possibly taking them to small claims court. I am at a loss. What other business can continue to charge you for services that you did not and will not ever receive? PATHETIC!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2013

A few months ago, my boyfriend had charges posted to his account that he sought reimbursement for. He was given the runaround as usual and told that his refund would be processed the next week, or the week after, and so forth. To this day, he has never received his money back because he eventually gave up on trying.

Fast forward to now, and we decided to give Gold's Gym another chance as it is the closest one to our house. We signed up for a deal that they had ($35.00/mo with VIP privileges for 1 year contract), and they had told us that we didn't need to bring any forms of payment when we spoke with them before coming in. My boyfriend signed up and put the account in his name, but when they asked for a CC to charge us a $20 processing fee, he did not have one on him so I put my CC on file.

A couple of months in, my boyfriend became very busy with paramedic school and since he was the main account holder, I couldn't go to the gym since they would not let me in without him there, so we decided to make me the account holder so that I could go whenever I wanted. I called Gold's and asked if this was possible since my CC is the one on file anyway, and the general manager told me on the phone that of course I could, it would be very simple, just come in and sign some things and give him the method of payment.

I assumed that I would be signing for the sole reason of switching the account into my name. He had me sign several different things, which I was confused about, telling me that it was for things like me getting a discount and only paying $30.00 instead of $35.00 and paying monthly instead of biweekly.

Instead of sending me the revised contract that very same day, I did not receive it until 9 days later via email, coincidentally after a random charge had been posted to my account. I believe the reason for it having been sent 9 days late was to bypass the 5-day grace period that customers have to cancel. He knew that if I had seen the contract before the 5 days were up, I would have absolutely cancelled right away. Looking over the contract, the GM had not just changed the name on the account as I had asked. He had signed me into an entirely new one-year contract of $30.00/mo without notifying me. No more VIP privileges, and he charged me a $59.00 processing fee on top of it plus a $30.00 charge for the month even though I had just been charged $17.50 for the biweekly a couple of days before.

I quickly emailed him, and right away he apologized and said that it was his mistake and that the processing fee should not have been there and that he didn't know why that had happened. Funny because he is the one who signed off on the processing fee on the contract that he sent to me 9 days after the fact. He promised me my refund, stating that I would get it within a matter of days, but I saw nothing, so I contacted him again, and he promised it within the week, and I still have not seen anything.

The amount is very petty and it is truly not about the money. It is about the fact that they try to trick you and cheat you out of your money, which I don't take lightly. I am very good and thorough when it comes to consumer rights, and I know that he was very much in the wrong and is aware of his actions because he did not tell me that I was signing a new contract, and he made sure to send me the contract 9 days late.

As some people have mentioned, I am also interested in potentially filing a class action lawsuit against them. Their business practices are unethical, and they do not follow through with the things that they promise to their customers. I have pages of emails with this GM in which he readily admits his wrongdoing and promises me full refunds. I recently contacted corporate, so hopefully they have a resolution, although I highly doubt that will happen.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2013

August 1st I was ordering lunch when I get informed that my debit card was denied. I was in total shock! I had no clue why that would happen. I was certain that I had enough funds. After having to leave EMBARRASSED and without my lunch, I immediately called my bank to find out what happened. Apparently, Gold’s Gym charged not only my membership dues but also $58.61 for who knows what. I was livid! Immediately after talking to my bank, I called my home branch, Gold’s Gym Arcadia. I didn't immediately tell them why I was calling because I wanted to get the true facts. I asked if they could check what the charge was for on my account. The rep responded that she didn't see the charge. Really?!?! I do. I told her it was just charged today. And she responded that she wouldn't be able to see the charges until the following day?!?!

I asked to speak to the manager and asked how you could charge my debit card without it being seen on Gold’s Gym side first? He was miraculously able to view that charge. BUT it wasn't charged at my home branch. It was charged at Gold’s Gym Santa Ana!! I have never stepped foot at that gym but yet not only do they have access to my bank account, but they also are able to charge without my authorization. The manager suggested I contact that branch. I was upset because that he would even think it is my responsibility to take care of this matter. This is HIS company and I am his customer. I demanded he take care of this matter, but after a week of no response, I called back.

**, the "manager" said that he had emailed Gold’s Gym Santa Ana's manager. As if this wasn't important enough to pick up the phone and talk to someone directly. He said he would email her again and CC me on the email. As soon as that second email went out, the "manager" ** responded saying that she apologized but she never saw the original email. REALLY?! After days of complaining on response time, I get a call from **, the "branch manager" apologizing for the mistake. Apparently, one of his employees by the name of ** "accidentally" charged my account. She chose the wrong account and obviously didn't verify any info before charging my account.

Making this longer story short. I have yet to receive my reimbursement. They had even agreed to reimburse me for over draft fees. I thought that after talking to **, I would finally get results. I was terribly wrong. Now, I email, email, and email ** and **, and neither bother to reply. As if this is my problem, my mistake. I’m seeking for others who would like to join in a class act. I see that I’m not the only one with unauthorized charges. I’m tired of waiting for something to happen.

Oh and the kicker is that ** says he had submitted all documentations needed to reimburse me. He's just waiting on some Mike guy to say YES in order for it to go through. Going on 3 weeks since ** states he submitted papers. And still Mike can’t say "Yes"!! This is so frustrating and ridiculous that I have lost interest in attending their gym. I don't want any type of business affiliation with this crook company.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2013

When I signed up I specifically asked 2 questions. 1. My son was getting ready to go to college, maybe out of state. Could he cancel and what would be the process.?They said "yes just let us know where" and he would need proof. I asked if there was a fee and they said no, if he moved in an area where there was no Gold's Gym, he could just cancel as long as he gave proof. 2. I signed up for the preferred membership to utilize the classes. It was 5 dollars extra to sign up. I asked if I see that I don't really like the classes or am unable to get to classes due to the time frame, could I go back to a regular membership. They stated yes.

When my son finally decided to go to college and I decided I am not making it to any of the classes and called the manager, she was rude, obnoxious and unapologetic that I was misinformed at sign up. When I got fed up with her behavior, I asked if there was someone else I could speak to. She stated no, she was the end of the line. When I asked if she owned all Gold's Gyms she stated no. When I asked for corporate office to complain, she stated to look it up. After hours of searching and calling wrong numbers, I finally got through and filed a complaint. Gold Gym International 125 E John Carpenter Fwy suite 1300 Irving TX 75062 or call 2142965829. Please complain because that is the only way something will get done.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2013

Good luck canceling your Gold's Gym account. The local gym cannot cancel and they send you to a website that does not work. If you are lucky enough to get on the website, it is going to tell you to call their customer service number... GOOD LUCK. I called 20 different times and was put on hold. Never once did someone take my call. For the last week or so, it disconnects me. I contact the Plano Texas gym and they said there is nothing they can do. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR A MONTH.

Gold's Gym Company Information