Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.59/5

Gold's Gym Reviews

Original review: July 6, 2012

I signed up 20 years ago for a lifetime membership at $14.99 a month. They have been doing automatic deductions since 8 months ago. My membership was increased to $30.00 a month. I called to find out why I wasn't notified. They stated that a postcard went out. The only postcards I usually receive are for advertisement. You would think that if they are planning to raise the rates, they would have sent it in the form of an official letter. When I stated that this was a lifetime membership, I was told I needed to produce the contract. Well after 20 years, I did not have it. I asked them to find my original contract. They said since they did not have it, they would have to go by their recent one. What a crock. They gave me the runaround. I am still waiting for them to locate the contract which has now gone on for 3 months. They still have not cancelled my membership and continue to take money from my account.

Original review: July 6, 2012

I would like to warn anyone who is thinking of joining Gold’s Gym in Foxboro. It is nothing but a scam and the employees have never been ruder. I was a loyal member for 3 years and when I decided to move out of state and wanted to cancel my membership, you would have thought I asked for a million dollars. I was 5 days late to the 30-day notice because I was out of the state. They told me that I would then have to pay for next month, too, if I would be 1000 miles away in another state. They said they wouldn’t charge me the annual fee of $49.99, so after 30 minutes of arguing, I settled for paying an extra $20.00. Come June I look at my bank statement and the $49.99 was taken out of my account.

I gave Gold's gym a phone call and the lady politely told me she would look into it and refund me and give me a call back. I never received a call back. A week later, I called again and spoke to the "manager" I have never spoken to, a more rude and arrogant man who is supposed to be running a business. I argued for 15 minutes on the phone before hanging up. I am a customer and I should never be disrespected the way I was. He accused me of lying. I just want to prevent this from happening to anyone else, so save yourself the money and go to a different gym where you are treated with respect.

Original review: July 3, 2012

I am writing to tell you about 2 incidents that I have had with Gold's Gym. I had been a member of Gold's Gym since 2005 until July 2011. In July of 2011, Gold's Gym changed their billing from once a month to bi-monthly (twice per month). I was on automatic payment using a credit card. For some reason that was never clear to me, I was charged a late fee for my July 2011 membership payment. I contacted their customer service via telephone, email and in person. I have a record of the email that I sent. The manager at my home gym would not meet with me or return my calls. I was given the complete and total runaround. No one could tell me why I received the late fee and no one would reverse the late fee. I refused to pay it and canceled my membership the following month, August 2011.

Almost one year later, on June 1, 2012, I received a charge for $8.99 from Gold's Gym on the card they were not able to charge when I was a member. This charge was not authorized by me. I have not had anything to do with Gold's Gym since August of 2011. I am not sure what the $8.99 charge is for. I have disputed the charge with my credit card company and requested that my card number be changed. I am not sure what recourse I have, but I am reporting this to Consumer Affairs, my local state attorney and the Better Business Bureau. This organization is clearly making fraudulent charges on their previous members cards and charging current members bogus fees.

Original review: June 25, 2012

15 months later, I started getting phone calls asking for me to pay for my membership and discussing the balance my boyfriend owes for it. We asked why this is coming up after 15 months. The gym said they will get it fixed and talk to their manager. We each spoke to the gym 3+ times on the phone and went down there two times this month (June 2012). At the end, we finally found out the problem was my membership was never cancelled. We were then referred to their corporate office and finally, a Jodie **, collection specialist. She did not return my calls, but my boyfriend was able to get a hold of her. Even though we did everything they asked for to cancel our membership, they deemed it our fault. So 2 weeks ago, my boyfriend paid them.

Today, I received the first paper actual bill from their collections department. We cannot get a confirmation saying my membership is cancelled or the balance cleared. I do not know what to do. We spent the last hour on hold and then got disconnected.

Original review: June 23, 2012

As of October of 2011, my 2-year contract with Gold's Gym ended. I did not think there would be a problem since I had not used the gym in approximately a year. Without any contact with me by mail or phone, they continued to withdraw money from my bank account. In January 2012 they not only withdrew the monthly membership fee, but they also withdrew a $29 yearly fee for the machines. I called and they said I had to send a certified letter to the main company or come in and speak with the manager. After research on the internet it became apparent that this is a very common practice. When a member is trying to cancel it is somewhat difficult and at times they have changed the name to withdraw money from an individual's accounts.

I went to the bank and cancelled my debit card and replaced it with a new one so they could no longer take out any money. I received a letter a few weeks ago stating they were reporting me to the credit bureau for breach of my contract with them. A week or so ago, I received a post card from them that read if I would take advantage of membership package offered, then my account would be "swiped" clean slate. This to me seemed to not be on the up and up. My neighbor explained her experience with trying to cancel her membership and they need to have something done to prevent them illegally taking money from a person’s banking account with authorization! I am seeking counsel to discuss this matter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: June 5, 2012

My son joined Gold's Gym and was told that he could cancel when he leaves for the military. He has now been told that he will be leaving in the next 3 to 4 weeks and he is trying to take care of everything before he leaves. After being told, when calling the gym, that his account would not be drafted again, they of course billed his checking account yet again and now are saying (first time he's heard this) that there are forms he has to come to fill out and sign to send to corporate. He had already told them he would bring in his military papers per their request, but now is being lied to from everyone he speaks to up there. I myself have been on hold with "customer care and complaints" for 11 minutes while typing this. Way to show appreciation to your soldiers Gold's Gym!

Original review: May 30, 2012

When I joined the St. Peter's, MO gym, I was told there were no swimming or aqua classes and at no time was the pool closed to other members. I specifically joined the gym so that I could swim when my schedule allowed. When I approached the manager, they stated they had always had aqua fitness classes. This is not true because for the past several years, they have not had them. Now the pool is closed two evenings a week, which is the time that I normally swim.

Original review: May 22, 2012

In January or February, I called to cancel my membership and was told I would have to wait until May because I had signed a 1 year contract. So, I called today to cancel and was told there is a 30 day notification. And they would take out any payment due in the next 30 days because there was nothing in my files indicating that I had contacted them. If there's a class action suit, count me in.

Original review: May 17, 2012

I signed a year's contract at Gold's Gym for $24.99/monthly. I moved to a town that has no Gold's Gym months ago, therefore, I was unable to continue going. However, being the person that I am, I continued paying because I did not want to forfeit the contract, and I've heard beforehand that Gold's Gym will hit you with very high charges if you discontinue paying. So for months I had been paying, even the ever-so-often maintenance fees. Gold's Gym was automatically taking payments from my bank account. My contract ended a couple of months ago. However, being that I've been very busy, I've been procrastinating about checking to make sure Gold's Gym had not been still taking money out of my bank account.

Yes, they have. I just found out today they had still been taking my monthly payments as well as a maintenance fee for $30. I called the Gym and was given an 800# to call. A rep told me that I have to fax or mail in a cancellation statement which would take 30 days to be submitted and any fees within that time frame will still have to be paid. Seriously! Can you all smell a scam? The purpose of a contract is to set a specific time frame from this date to that date, no if's, and's, or but's about it. Never before in my life! This is what happens when someone tries to do right! I had been faithfully paying even though I had discontinued going a while back; yet, this is the treatment I get. So undoubtedly, I will still be paying next month's bill because it's within the 30-day cancellation cycle. Gold's Gym sucks!

Do not ever, ever, ever sign a contract with Gold's Gym. Just stick to month by month payments. Also, it's mighty peculiar how they won't except Walmart Visa Debit cards, that's because they love to scam and they can't make automatic withdrawals from it. I started off with Gold' Gym with a Walmart Visa Debit, then after a few months, I was charged with a late fee because they claim to have had difficulties getting the money off it although the money was on it. So I had to pay a late fee of $30 I think it was. Then they advised me to change over to my bank debit card. I should have smelled a scam then, but silly me, I didn't. I wouldn't return to Gold's Gym even if it was $5. They'd still find a way to get over on you.

Original review: May 14, 2012

I just wanted everyone to know what problems we are having with Gold's Gym so it doesn't happen to anyone else. I am just going to say beware of Gold's Gym. We are signed up in Conroe, TX. So anyway, we were happy with the gym after signing up. Then my wife suggested I sign up with a personal trainer. So I talked to their personal trainer named Sean **. I told him I would like to sign up for a month, 2 times a week. I told him I had to wait till my tax return comes. So when my tax return came, I talked to him again and he said if I do the 8 sessions, I can get it for $320 plus with other fees, it would come out to $370. So I did it, we had to go to the computer. He said I needed to sign on the computer pad, to say that I agree with the 8 sessions, another signature to debit the amount and then lastly, my initials saying that the 8 was nonrefundable. So okay, that's it. I was signed up for 8 sessions, that was on 2/16/2012.

Nothing was said about a contract so I wasn't thinking anything about it. On 4/18/2012, I checked my March statement, which became available on 4/16/2012. I was charged $320 on 3/16/2012, so then I checked online banking and again, charged $320 on 4/16/2012. What the hell. I called up the gym and asked for a manager. I was told he wasn't there. So I talked with the sales manager. I told him I bought 8 sessions on 2/16/2012 and I was being charged monthly. He told me to wait. So I waited and then he said I signed a contract. I told him no, I signed up for 8 sessions. He said I signed a contract for 8 sessions a month for a year. I said no, I didn't. I was told only 8 sessions and that Sean had clicked off the recurring monthly charges, so I'd only be charged for that month.

Me and my wife went in to Gold's Gym in Conroe, TX to see if the manager was really there or not. He wasn't, I talked to the same sales manager and and he said the same thing, that I signed up for a year. I again stated I only signed up for a month and that I didn't have any contract. So he disappeared and went to the printer. He gave me 2 pieces of paper, it was a contract with my signature. This is the first time I ever saw this document. So anyway, we left. I called the next day from work and got their manager, Ronnie **. Remember that name, don't deal with him or this gym. He said I signed a contract, but would talk to corporate about it. I got a call the same day from Ronnie saying that they couldn't do anything about it because I signed a contract.

I told him that the first time I saw a contract or even knew anything about a contract was on 4/18/2012, when we went in on the day we first complained. We requested they call Sean ** to see what he said. They absolutely refused, saying he no longer works for the company and they can't contact him. There is something going on when they won't call the person who signed me up. So now I'm going through the BBB, which they are of no help. They just relay the emails between us and them, back and forth. That's it. Everything is at a stand still. So all I can do is warn everyone else. They are cheats and liars. Stay away from Gold's Gym and from Ronnie ** or Sean **. Cheats and cheats.

Original review: May 8, 2012

I signed a two year contract at Gold's Gym downtown Phoenix, AZ. The cost, $20 every two weeks debited directly from my bank account via my debit card. I was very happy with the gym. I planned on moving to Northern California in early 2012 once I secured employment. I finally secured a job in the Bay Area to commence March 2012. At the end of 2/2012, I had fraud on my debit card so I cancelled the card. At the same time, my move came through. I spoke to the girl at the desk at Gold's Phoenix and asked her what the procedure was. She indicated that once settled in California, I call the 1-800 Gold’s # to find a new gym and there I could organize my new debit card payment. She told me that the gym locations themselves could not assist me. When I left Phoenix, my new debit card was still not delivered to me.

I arrived in Millbrae, CA, my new home and called the 1-800 # and it prompted me to put in my zip code, which I did. It directed me to Crunch Fitness in San Mateo, CA. When the rep answered, she told me that Crunch bought out this Gold’s location. I was disappointed but she assured me that everything was the same and even better and invited me for a look around. I then called the 1-800 Gold’s number back, but discovered that this number is a black hole with no possibility of speaking with anyone in the corporate office. I discovered the nearest Gold’s was 14 miles away in San Francisco or 20 mile in Mountain View.

I had no choice but to join Crunch. I tried the 1-800 again, with no luck, so I didn't know what to do but it was put in the back of my mind. Gold's has my email and old address which all my mail is being forwarded from for a year. I honestly forgot to update my debit card info because I did not know where to do this at and I was not going to give details over the phone to the gym in Phoenix. I figured Gold’s would contact me via email or mail but they didn't. They waited like vultures until the two month period for overdue accounts was referred to an abusive collections agency called Swift to contact me. They contacted my mother who has my emergency contact on my application to find me. I later spoke to the rep in Phoenix and she did say they tried calling but could not get through. My fault as I changed my phone number when I moved. They were clever enough to find me via my emergency contact when they knew they had me on the hook!

Shame on Gold's for not operating a clean business! You are a corporate predator and deserve to go out of business! Right here and now, I am willing and able to bring my account current. I calculated that I owe you $100. Gold's claims I owe them $1,100. I asked Swift debt collectors for a breakdown of which he nastily said he couldn’t provide more that $100 contract break fee and $50 penalty plus arrears. My calculation comes to $250. The balance they say is that I have to complete the contract and pay the unscrupulously sly collector for their services. Well, if I have to pay off the remaining year of my contract, why can't I use a Gold’s Gym? They threatened to report this on my credit as well! Isn't that illegal? I contacted the manager in Gold's Phoenix and she was very surprised because I was only 2 or 3 days past the 60 past due period. I didn't even get notification from Gold’s! Just straight to debt collector! She said she would look into it. I let Swift know this! Huh!

An hour later, I get a call from a Swift rep saying he had additional info for me, huh! He said the owner of Gold's Gym in Phoenix was "enraged" that she spoke with me and demanded her name. She did nothing wrong and I refused to give it, as he, the "owner", should know his gym's managers name huh? I arranged two equal payments to pay the $1,100 as I certainly do not want my credit hindered and told him to never contact me again! Shame on Gold’s! The owner should take a business ethics course! I suspect you will see many more Gold's establishments fold and they will wonder why! I am an avid bodybuilder, but will never again step foot into a Gold’s Gym. I will give my business to a reputable gym who does not involve themselves in the underhanded practices that Gold's does. I will tell all my friends and anyone who asks about this experience, I am certain they will not entertain the idea of joining a Gold’s. I think the founders of the first Gold's Gym would be ashamed of these practices!

Original review: May 7, 2012

I joined Gold's Gym and moved 2 months later, after making sure there was a Gold's where I moved to so I could transfer my membership. When I got to Albuquerque, I went to the gym location and it had closed just a few days before. It took many phone calls (which was difficult to find because there is no number on their website) to find out how to cancel my membership. I called several times a day because it always went to voicemail and when I did get through to an actual person, I got several different answers on how much the cancellation fee was and what information I needed to send. They make it so difficult to cancel that I have now been paying for an unusable gym membership for almost 2 years. I am getting the same runaround just trying to get an address to send my notice to them to stop my membership at the 24-month mark and not have it go into a month-to-month contract. They are very unprofessional and rude, and the customer service is atrocious. I would never recommend this gym to anyone.

Original review: May 7, 2012

In February of 2011, my wife and I purchased a block of personal trainer sessions at our Gold's Gym in Orem, UT. We were asked to pay the first and last month of our contract upfront which we did; the remaining 10 months were to be charged every month until the payment was satisfied. This would have been done in December of 2011.

We noticed that the charges were still coming out for January and the subsequent months but did not have occasion to go into the office until May of 2012, when we were charged for the 5th month beyond the terms of our contract. Before going into the corporate office to inquire, I went into the gym and spoke with a personal trainer who said that their contracts do go month to month unless we let them know otherwise. He did say that since we had not used any sessions since 2 months into our contract, we could likely get some sessions credited back to us.

Upon going into the corporate offices, I discovered that I had failed to check the box on the contract that stated that I did not want the contract to renew month to month. This is my failing; however, they were unwilling to credit back any of the 5 months nor would they even meet me halfway and credit me a part of the time. I must admit my lack of reading the contract upon signing up. I will say, however, that Gold's Gym does not display any type of grasp of the concept of Customer Service as they "simply go by their contract" and are not interested in retaining a customer for any longer than the term of their contract.

Needless to say, I have both my membership and the personal trainer sessions on a "do not renew" status at this point. They have elected to choose to generate $650 in revenue for 5 months of service not provided instead of having me renew for another year of membership. I would highly advise anyone who is considering entering into a contractual agreement with Gold's Gym to thoroughly read their contract so that they don't make the same mistake that I did. And be aware that Golds' Gym are very firm on enforcing their contract and don't appear to be interested in taking care of their customers.

Original review: April 27, 2012

Gold's gym being a respected facility, I joined its Malviya Nagar branch 2 months back; and in 1 month's time, I faced a lot of issues in the gym. First, a machine was broken, and I wasn't aware of it. After completing 1 set on it, the trainer came to me, saying the machine was broken and that I will hurt my self. I don't understand. If the machine was broken, then why wasn't there a sign of "not in order"? What if I would have met an accident on the machine while exercising?

Also, the changing room stinks, and its air conditioner used to be shut until and unless someone complains about it to switch it on. And the toilet tiles are broken. The exhausts in the shower are too low and are not covered. One day, I almost lost my fingers while having a shower. To add, the treadmill is having a problem of earthing. I was never able to do cardio on the treadmill, because it gave some kind of current while running.

I left the gym and joined Talwalkar's, which is 10km away from my place. But I guess it is worth now. I am highly unsatisfied with Gold's Gym, it being an international chain. I never thought it will lack so many small things.

Original review: April 19, 2012

I was a member of Gold's Gym in Elk Grove until it closed a while back, without giving their customers any notice at all. On top of that, I still had about 80 hours of pre-purchased personal training hours. I called the Natomas Gold's Gym for weeks attempting to reach some manager named Sandy. Never a return call or anything. I will never join a gym again.

Original review: April 16, 2012

We have been using the Ahmedabad gym the last few years. We are not satisfied with the equipment because it’s too old and not in a good condition. So, kindly take care of your brand and save your image as Gold’s Gym.

Original review: April 11, 2012

Rude, space overcrowded and dirty, unpleasant environment, lack of professionalism, bad AC, broken down machines and unlawful contracts also! They won’t let me out of my contract because my documentation is not in the "accepted proof" list created by owner, Kevin Craft. He loosely put together financial requirements for what is needed (utility bills, paychecks, etc.) and will not accept anything else. Gold's Gym is uncooperative and the contract they have people sign is against the law! The state statue simply says to give gym notice. I am required to continue paying because they won’t accept my documents and they just want money! I have never been so disappointed after being a customer for over 3 years!

Original review: April 10, 2012

I signed my 10-year-old son up to my contract back in January of this year, 2012. He has since changed his mind and is no longer interested. I called Gold's Gym and spoke with Myrna, who is in charge of their erroneously titled Customer Support office. She was adamant that he cannot be taken off the contract. I did not know that Gold's Gym was that hard up for an extra $20 a month. Really? I will not be renewing my contract with them ever, and I will inform all I know to stay the hell away from them.

Original review: April 3, 2012

Abuse of power, discrimination to old, out of shape and gay people. Mistreatment and breach of contract by Gold's Gym Hollywood. I am a full member for many years of Gold's Gym Hollywood and so I was before in Europe. One week ago, an employee was very rude with me and even gave me a middle finger. I was shocked. With my broken English, I sent an email to the manager asking for an apology and instead of getting any explanation, I got kicked out of the gym. He set me an email where he said that the employee had a different version and I am not welcome to the Gold's Gym Hollywood anymore.

I felt totally discriminated and I do believe that the manger does not like me because I am openly gay man and an emigrant. He mentioned that in a phone conversation that he had with my friend and he even hung off the phone on us. Now I have to still pay Gold's Gym since they said that my membership is VIP, for 2 locations, but I cannot use both location anymore. Since the second location is on the valley, it is too far from my Hollywood apartment and it is impossible for me to go there. I want to sue them for many reasons, but clearly, I see a breach of contract. I am still a VIP member and still I have to pay, but they don't allow me anymore to have full use of what I was paying for.

I tried to reason with them, but they will never accept that they are wrong. They have a rude, arrogant attitude, they protect each other and they won't admit that they were so rude with me. Instead, they prefer to blame the customer. I did refer many customer to the gym on the past, I spent a lot of money paying my expensive membership and buying from them all kinds of products. I am a member for 4 years on that location and I was treated worse than an animal. I also have a friend who was a victim of them. They mistreated him 9 months ago, he is 66 years old. He was discriminated for his age and for being gay. We really need a lawyer who can face them.

Original review: March 10, 2012

I was medically retired from the Army last year and Gold's said they would take care of the membership issue if I sent them a bill from my new house. I thought all was well but figured out that they kept charging me for a year then put it on my credit. They rejected my disability paperwork because it doesn't say permanent disability as I'm considered temporarily retired/disabled by the Army but 87% of those cases end up being permanent anyway. So in a time when we are at war, Gold's Gym is crapping on the veterans who fight for them! Pretty un-American, if you ask me.

Original review: March 8, 2012

After my three-year contract with Gold's Gym in North Augusta, SC was up, I cancelled my membership with them because I was moving. I emailed them to cancel. They emailed me back, saying that I had to send in a certified letter. I know this is just a tactic to make it inconvenient to cancel, so they can keep charging fees.

I can cancel a credit card, a utility account, and even a bank account over the phone or email. Why should a gym require a certified letter?! I told them I was in the middle of moving and would not go to the absurd effort of sending in a certified letter. They responded to my email, so I know they received my cancellation instruction. I canceled the credit card that the fees were being drawn on, but they are still calling for payment, and I am afraid they will sell the account to a collections agency.

They have got to be the sleaziest business I have ever come across, and I am baffled that they are allowed to get away with this insanity. By the way, I was told by an attorney that their cancellation requirements are legally unenforceable. So I don't know why credit agencies will even buy their accounts. It looks like I may have to do some damage repair with credit agencies.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2012

I was kicked out of the gym for 30 days, and I didn’t do anything wrong, but tell people about God.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2012

Totally furious with Gold's Gym! They automatically renewed my contract after I told them to cancel it. Then they cancelled it and then renewed it! I cancelled because their Richmond gym uses male cleaning crews who kept coming into the women's changing room and shower area unannounced! I complained to the manager, wrote Gold's and they just shrugged. No big deal to them. I told them I'd been a sexual assault victim and it was a big deal to me. But they just keep raping my wallet and charging me. I'm in tears. I'm so angry. I just screamed at the rep on the phone. They have the brains of 45 pound barbell. **! I'm so pissed.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2012

I became a member last December. At that moment, I did not realize and was not told by the seller and manager of Gym in Magnolia that I was signing two separate contracts that actually contradict each other: the membership agreement which I could have cancelled in 30 days and apply for a 30-day "money back" guarantee and one for the Rip60 class, which you can never really cancel, unless you pay $100 as a buyout option.

As I started classes, I noticed the quality of most of them was really bad, including the Rip60. And I mentioned my disappointment to the manager from day 1. He never mentioned out of courtesy that I could cancel all before the third day. I still gave it a try and decided to finish the membership and apply for the "money back" guarantee option. I called and asked the manager, who at this time was less available and courteous to answer questions and explain the procedure. I sent the letter as required, and it was received one day late. Although I had asked staff what the time frame was, they indicated the wrong dates.

I brought the case to the BBB in Houston, and all they said was, as long as you signed contracts, there is nothing we can do.

One more thing. These people are so clever; they make you sign a contract in paper and another one on the screen, so you really do not realize that you are signing multiple agreements. And they do it all with a big smile!

In the end, I had to pay them $200 extra for buyout options; and they still charged two extra months of monthly fees because they were unclear for a long time on what was the procedure to cancel the membership and all. Are these greedy people or what? What is the purpose of being a win-lose type of business? I certainly hope some regulator takes a closer look at this type of business. They cannot claim they help people improve their health.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2012

I was assaulted inside Golds Gym and when I pointed out the person that did the assault none of the staff did anything to stop this guy from getting away from the police.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2012

I officially (thought) in November 2012 ended my relationship with Gold's Gym in a nearby town. The contract was from March 13, 2011, through March 13, 2012. Finally on February 13, 2012, I received a bill totaling $278 for (4) four months of club dues. Because I cancelled my credit card with them, they are now charging me a $25 "manual fee charge!" There was a $27 late fee, the contract states $9/month late fee, plus the ordinary club fee of $25. Anyhow, the person I spoke with told me until the bill is completely paid up, I can't quit, but then the other side of the mouth he told me because I signed a "month to month" after the contract was up, the bill will continue mount until it's paid up. But it sounds to me, from other complainants and state's attorney's office of consumer protection services. This a contract from the darkest circles of Dante's poem, "The Divine Comedy". Only this is very serious for us. If this isn't settled, it'll cost us the house.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2012

On Dec 11, 2011, I inquired to Gold's Gym about a membership. I was told by my doctor that I needed back surgery, and I wanted to put off surgery if possible, by strengthening my core, and told the person signing me up that. They tried to sell me a contract for a year, and I was ready to walk away when they told me I could pay month to month. On Dec 13th I inquired about types of exercises that would strengthen my core, and was sent to an office, where they tried to sell me personal training. I told them I would be happy to purchase a couple of sessions. I was told it did not work that way, and had to purchase 6 months at $100 a month. I explained that I have a bad back, and surgery was probably in the horizon. I was told that they are easy to work with, and I could easily cancel by letting them know what was going on. I did around the end of December.

I got a call that a payment was past due, so I called again, and this time was told by some guy who answered the phone that a letter was required to be sent in requesting my membership to be canceled. I did. I got more calls that my payment was still needed. I ignored the first few, then last week I got another call from a recorded message stating a payment was needed. I called to inquire, and asked to speak to Amy **, the lady who signed me up. I was told by her that a certified letter is needed, along with a letter from my doctor stating I could no longer work out. I then reminded her of our conversation, and how easy it would be to cancel in the event that I had to go have surgery. On Jan 27 2012 I had my disk replaced in my lower back. I had a collapsed disk, and was, and still am, in a lot of pain, and now I am still dealing with this.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2012

Gold's Gym has forged my name on a contract. They never spoke with me about an enhancement fee! I only realized this after two yrs. The money was taken out of my bank account automatically. I called them and asked them to send me the contract showing where I initialized this enhancement fee! I have never signed my name and would like to know if this could be investigated. A hand writing expert, and any other documents I have will definitely assure you they won't match!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2012

Gold's Gym has charged improvement fees to its members, for renovations it made without the member's approval, and without informing the members in advance. The only way the members found out about the charge was when it showed up on their credit card statement.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2012

My 29-year-old daughter joined Max Fitness in Columbus Georgia about 9 months ago. The sales representative asked her if she had any disabilities. She told him yes, she had rheumatoid arthritis. She was very hesitant to join, but the rep assured her she could cancel if she had a doctor's note.

She did get a note from her physician. But they refused to let her cancel. Her contract states if she moves 30 miles away, she can cancel. She has had to move back in with us, which is 33 miles away. They still wouldn't let her cancel. Yesterday the manager at the gym and the representative in billing said her contract has been cancelled. I have asked for something in writing.

I am disgusted to read all these complaints that are similar to my daughter's experience or worse. What Gold's gym and Max Fitness is doing, seems so fraudulent and against the law. With all these complaints, it seems there could be a class action lawsuit. I don't understand how they are able to get away with it!

Gold's Gym Company Information