Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.57/5

Gold's Gym Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

This business is such a joke. I cannot believe there is not a class action lawsuit against this franchise. That being said I am actually thinking about starting a class action suit for the people who were on contracts exceeding 19.99 a month. This gym has an obligation to uphold their end of the contract. When you are held hostage by a contract it is nearly impossible to cancel without paying a high cancellation fee. When I signed a 3 year contract the Murrieta location just opened. The staff there said the prices are going to rise so I signed the contract and things were fine until they lowered the price to 10 dollars a month no contract. The gym then created a flood of people when they started a low 10 dollar month to month sign up. Gold’s Gym locked thousands of people in on contracts then flooded the gym due to a low month to month. Once I am unable to get on a machine because of overcrowding, I am not being provided the service I originally signed for.

The contract works both ways. This class action will involve a clause called "Dirty Hands" - I am looking to use this tort/civil allegation against the gym. There has been successful class action suits against LA Fitness for similar tactics. If I am unable to get on a workout machine due to a 20 min wait, or feel my safety is at stake because the gym is at overcapacity because every square inch is a body working out with heavy weights, then the gym is not honoring their end of the bargain. This is a matter of principle and I want to send a message to Gold’s Gym about the unethical business practices they partake in on a daily basis. Please email me if you have signed a contract and are unable to get on a machine due to safety or long wait issues. The email is **.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

Original review: Aug. 27, 2014

Gym was closed and promise for refund. But there was no refund. Gold’s Gym was closed and I have paid 24000. Every day I’m going to gym. But they are saying that it will be done by next day. I want my money back or else I would go police. It is horrible that Gold’s Gym is so branded. That’s why I had join. Not a single day I have used and gym got closed. It was in Khira Nagar Arcade Santa Cruz West. Membership is in the name of Aarti ** and Pooja **. Number is **.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2014

I signed up for a two year prepay and bought personal training sessions at the same time. My trainer, Hedy, kept rescheduling and canceling my sessions. Feeling that I was not being provided the service that I was paying for, I walked in to the location and canceled my membership and training sessions. The GM assured me that he would take care of it, in the presence of another manager. I was told all refunds are processed on Wednesdays and that my accounts would be refunded the following Wednesday. After I did not receive the refund, I called the gym and spoke to Sharon, who informed me that my refund was denied. I was not offered any other possible solution, other than it was denied. Not only was I denied and not notified, but Gold's Gym processed an additional charge of $80 through my bank.

Feeling wronged and concerned that they had my credit card information, I contacted my banks (Capital One and Chase) and disputed the charges. Both banks refunded temporary funds, as part of the dispute. Ironically, Gold's Gym, did not dispute the membership, or the 2 months of maintenance training charges, but they did dispute the personal training sessions. Even though, I am not a member, they will not refund me the $299 for personal training sessions that I could not use, even when I was a member!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2014

I was invited by a friend for a free trial. After couple of visits, I received a text message from Gold's Gym sales person that their month-to-month offer was ending in 2 days, and that I should come in to sign up. I went in to sign up, but what I was not given all the options. Anyways, after complicated process, I changed it to prepaid annual membership because it was cheaper. I also signed up for 12 sessions of personal training. After 5 sessions, my trainer no showed. Then he left Gold's Gym, and I was assigned to a different trainer. I received 2 email confirmations, and on my first day of training, the new trainer no showed. I called the manager, and he said he would investigate and get back to me. He didn't. I called again and he said he would get back to me, and again no response. I emailed him regarding my frustration, and he had another person call. That person left a message as if nothing happened.

I did not want to continue my personal training in that condition. I emailed the manager to give me a refund for the remaining training session. No reply. I emailed again several times. No reply. I tied to file a complaint, but there is no means to file a complaint on their website. I read many reviews that their contract auto renews, and it's impossible to cancel the contract permanently. I am extremely upset at the manager just ignoring my request and concerned that I will be charged next year. This Gym needs to be closed down.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2014

I've been trying to cancel with Gold's Gym in Falls Church, VA for nearly a year. My travails have included countless calls to my credit card company and the gym. I've gone down to the gym in person and even called the police in hopes of getting the manager arrested, but unfortunately the police officer was mistakenly under the impression that this robbery was a civil matter. At the same time I was there, another guy walked in with the exact same problem. I asked him if he wanted to wait until the police arrived to help fill out the report, but he said he was just going to let his credit card company handle it. He's probably still dealing with them, like I am.

I have probably spent between 10-20 hours trying to block these crooks from charging my card, but it is useless: they have their hand in my pocket and I am unable to get it out. My credit card company says that eventually after perhaps 3 disputes their system will block the merchant, but I have my doubts. My card is a Bank of America Mastercard, so it's like I'm calling to the Keystone Cops to outfox Bernie Madoff. I asked about the possibility of closing the account, but they said it can be reopened if a merchant charges them. I'm totally boxed in.

If you are looking to cancel your gym membership, honestly I would just report your card stolen. This is about the only possibility I haven't yet explored and may still pursue. It will save you so much time, your sanity and perhaps jail time, as this has almost driven me to violence. Don't even bother fulfilling your contract because they're only going to keep billing you long after you're dead.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

I canceled my membership two months ago with Aspen soon after Gold's acquired them. Received an invoice just now stating that I am past due and need to pay up. I called Gold's "customer care" and they said they have no record of my cancellation so I go to the gym and their "manager" says they did not keep ASPEN's termination records prior to June (how convenient, coincidence?). Nobody at Gold's or at the local gym claims that they can do anything because this was ASPEN who screwed up even though their sign on the gym still says ASPEN Fitness. Of course their attendance record shows that I haven't used their facility for over 6 months but that doesn't matter because in their mind, I have to cancel with Gold's to make it official, after paying my bill in full of course. This is criminal in my mind and unethical at the very least. What options do I have?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2014

I had an agreement with Aspen to go month to month for $19.99. Gold's Gym bought out Aspen and raised my membership to $23.00. If I wanted to be a member of Gold's Gym to begin with, I would've went directly to them and purchased the $10.00 plan... But, I don't!!! A few reasons why am not happy with this:

- Gold's Gym raised my payment without my consent.
- Gold's Gym tends to jack your bank account soon as they have the numbers (personal experience, that's why I decided to pay a higher monthly with Aspen than going back to them).

- Phone customer service and managers will talk to you like a "billboard". Ask them about the agreement and the issue and they will talk to you about "You need 10 days prior to cancellation".

Original review: Aug. 5, 2014

I paid cash for a three-year membership at Aspen. Gold's Gym bought out Aspen. "Someone at Aspen took the money" according to the new manager Trey ** and entered my membership as a two-year corporate account. Unless I can produce the original paperwork, which I cannot, I am kicked as of July 2.

Original review: July 29, 2014

New GM at Golds, Jay, approached me in very rude way. He accused me training my friend, screamed at my face in front of everyone, called me a thief and laugh loud in front of all his staff and members. I didn't have a chance to say anything. It was very humiliating and disrespectful. He could talk to me like civilized person. I didn't steal anything so how someone can call you a thief...

Original review: July 29, 2014

In September 2013. I bought in full 2 memberships, we were given no keys, saying the machine was broken. Two weeks later, they closed. That's almost 900$ lost! I don't know how to recoup as it was closed due to bankruptcy. We signed up in April for the new Gold's in Wallkill, who keeps postponing opening, now they are looking to change owners. Is this an Umbrella Scheme where the last bankrupt owner can assume ownership? I don't trust them. ABC Financial is listed on their Facebook as who to contact. I wonder if I should be trying to recoup payment from them as well. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: July 29, 2014

Gold GYM lawless, Unethical Tactics, fraudulent Practice, deceiving consumer: Deceiving - Using "New Management" or using other name like Fit-U, U-Fit or Fitness Evolution created confusing and without giving consumer a fair chance to learn "who" they are really joining? (If you search Google for "Gold GYM Monterey" the search resulted come back "Gold GYM Monterey CLOSED". So if consumer thinking they are joining the new company, Fitness Evolution, they will not able to find out "How bad Gold GYM really is" (By purposely deceiving consumer... I personally believed this may not be legal?).

False Advertising, example few: False Advertising $9.99 a mo - when you give them "Credit Card" it become $11.99 (because $9.99 is for cash only customer and you must bring in cash every month before due date). From the Advertising Picture look so wonderful and only cost $9.99 - When you joining the $9.99 ONLY ALLOWED TO USE the machine. If you want to use others like pool or class... then the price totally change.

From the Advertising Picture say "NO CONTRACT" and when you show up... they told you NO CONTRACT and month to month - But real true is after 12 months, they billed your "ANNUAL FEE". When you ask them, "There is NO CONTRACT why ANNUAL FEE?" they then said, "If you want to Cancel, you need to pay CANCELLATION FEE" ... (kind of like say "you are in contract DUE!"). And if you would asked them, "Where is the contract said? I thought we have NO CONTRACT?" If you ask them, "How come I didn't get any contract signed paper?" Their reply will be, "Go check your email... we did send your Contract after you sign up a year ago... go check your email!" And when you search your email for "Fitness Evolution" keyword and you can't find anything... and the email was sent from 3rd name "Fit-U". Their reply will be, "Oh... we sent to already AFTER YOU JOINING... Ok, I will be back to finish my 20 Reasons on Gold GYM violations and evidences!

Original review: July 11, 2014

My Husband is Government employee. We were transferred to a new area, also I had 2 cervical surgeries & was under a doctor's care. We tried for months, starting 9/2013, to cancel my membership with Gold's Gym. We were asked to submit relocation orders from my husband's job, doctor's note, & change of address. All of this was done immediately. They still refused to cancel the membership. Finally in January 2014, Customer Care asked us to re-submit these things & we did. We were told that the membership was cancelled & that we would be receiving a refund for the past months, in about 60 days. This is now July 2014 & not only haven't we received a refund, but just discovered that Gold's Gym has continued to charge our credit card every month past what the contract originally said (end date Feb. 2014). I've now called the Customer Care for Gold's only to be put to someone's voice mail that has not called me back.

My Husband sacrifices everyday to keep this country & citizen's safe. Even if he didn't, we don't deserve to be blatantly ripped off by any company. Especially one that is supposed to make your life healthier, not create tremendous stress.

Original review: July 10, 2014

I signed up. The manager told me I could freeze my account if I couldn't use the gym. Well when I went to freeze my account, Gold's continued to charge my debit card. I asked why and they said freezing just adds months to the contract.

Original review: July 3, 2014

I was a member at a fitness center which I recently found out was bought out by Gold's Gym. I cancelled my membership with the previous owner in 2004, after my 4th back surgery. Gold's Gym attempted to reopen and bill me recently without any notification. When they were unable to access my bank account, they billed me by mail for $82.00. I contacted them and explained to them that I cancelled this membership 10 years ago. They wanted something in writing. I asked them to check my records which they had to see that the previous owner stopped debiting my bank account. They weren't interested. I asked them for something in writing stating that my membership was cancelled. They refused. I asked for a supervisor, refused, thus they sent my account to collection.

I'm on disability and on a walker, been having to use a cane since 2005 and they showed me no respect nor did they attempt to investigate this matter to see if they were in error, no, they just balls to the wall to get $82.00 from me. I ended up paying it to get the collection agency off my back. There needs to be a way of preventing this from happening to someone else. They apparently can access your account information without penalty or fault.

Original review: June 30, 2014

I am a senior citizen, 71 years of age, who has worked out for 50 years. Gold's gym is by far the worst gym experience I have ever encountered. In many ways, the sloppy gym where I worked out in Brownsville, Texas, was an accident waiting to happen, with weights rarely racked and posing obstacles on the floor. Trainers would bring boom-boxes out on the floor for their own personal workouts, and rap music was constantly blaring. The restrooms were not well maintained, and the equipment was virtually neglected.

Nevertheless, I fulfilled my contract, with regular monthly payments, and actually worked out there for 2 years. I was told that I could cancel at any time after fulfilling my contractual terms. I announced to the management, prior to going out of the country, that I would be terminating. Now I am being billed for thirty extra days, owing to their insistence that termination takes a notice of 1 month.

I can only conclude that Gold's Gym is a giant corporate rip-off, and this is especially true in Brownsville, Texas, where the Gold's "management team" is incompetent and does not even live up to standard gym maintenance and procedure. BEWARE!

Original review: June 28, 2014

It seems impossible to cancel a membership with Gold's. Be aware before signing up - I have belonged to various gyms for the last 35 yrs & I have never had such an issue.

Original review: June 26, 2014

I sign in the day of 06/08/2014. Well I went the one in downtown LA, and I wanna check it out and then I ask the front desk I want a tour around the gym. So they send a nice person but he didn't wear this uniform. So yeah! Then it was very beautiful and clean. So then the man made my cousin and I sitting down and start talking about if I'm interested to register in gold gym so then I wanna see the price cause I can't afford a lot of money so then the man was putting low price for me! And he didn't show me this computer or no detail. I told him I want to be there two months, that's all and he told me it no gotta be no contract period so then he told me I don't no down payment or nothing, just pay 60 dollar for this month and then you pay 50 dollar for two months and then I start think I could afford it cause I'm only here for two month and then I move out! So everything is fine for me but then I ask him about this is not a contract, he told me no it's only month to month. So I believe him. Then he start tell me about to not put him down cause he not wearing his uniform so he was afraid he made lose this person cause this boss gotta get angry and other thing. So I didn't care.

So he start asking me about my credit card and other information! Then he never show his computer to me what I'm signing and this a machine thing to signing it! So anyway then I done and I ask him I want a print paper then he told me that going to send to my email so I never get it! So then I check my email I couldn't find it till I see junk and when I got it I saw a link called "agreement". I click it and I was shock what I saw! It show that I agrees 12 month contract and I was wow this person did a scam to me! I was kinda angry and nervous! Cause the guy did this to me and he know I have a brain surgery and I have seizure! I never thought he was going to do that! Then today I call him and he never answer my call. Then I went to the gym, I went to complain and other guy talking to me and there was confusing and other stupid things! Trying to defend the guy and I have a proof with my cousin came with me. Anyway I need help cause I'm only two ago member there. They are charging me 100 dollars to cancellation and it wasn't my faults. It haven't past 30 day notice. So please help me what to do?

Original review: June 23, 2014

I cancelled my summer membership (which they required I have as a month-to-month rather than a summer membership in 2013) then returned to college. Gold's lost my cancellation then said I never cancelled: I'm out $500 that they just kept on extracting from my account. LOTS OF MONEY FOR A STUDENT. I called the gym three times for help cancelling, and they didn't have a clue what to do. Unless you want to sign up for life, DON'T SIGN THEIR CONTRACT.

Original review: June 22, 2014

I have been scammed like everyone else. Initially, I was told I was on a month to month plan. When I tried to cancel, I'm told I owe 600 dollars to cancel my contract, 60 days notice, and numerous other fees. Given the runaround through every ignorant employee and manager at the establishment, and numerous customer service reps. No one knows anything, and can't possibly help. I'm not waiting for a collection agency. I'm talking to a lawyer 6/23/14 to discuss legal options, notified local news stations today, and implored Call For Action to investigate. If you're half as passionate about holding this company accountable as hundreds of reviews indicate, please use this link to do the same: "**". We have a voice, and it's time to be heard. If anyone knows how to pursue a class action lawsuit, I would be interested.

Original review: June 19, 2014

I wrote and sent my "official" cancellation letter to ABC Financial on May 24, 2014. I used the letter provided to me by staff members at Gold's Gym. A few days later, ABC Financial sent me a letter that they had received the cancellation notice on May 27, 2014 and that would be my effective date of cancellation. In my Gold's Gym contract, there was a clause that on June 25, there would be a $39 "membership enhancement fee." This was my reason for mailing the cancellation on May 24th, allowing my 30 days notice to excuse me from this fee, since I would not be continuing my membership after June 25th. I was told by gym staff that the 30 days is effective from the postmarked date on the envelope used to mail the cancellation form.

When I contacted ABC Financial to discuss this, I was told that cancellation is effective from the date that the cancellation form is received. I called Gold's Gym to clarify and spoke to manager Ben, who directed me to Jennifer, a customer service representative for the company. She told me that no, the cancellation is effective from the postmark. She further stated that the postmark on my letter was May 27, 2014.

I am being told that my cancellation is effective May 27, 2014 for two completely separate, and completely different reasons. If the cancellation is effective from the postmark date, then I would not be responsible for the $39 enhancement fee because the letter would be postmarked May 24, 2014. If the cancellation is effective May 27, 2014 based on the date of receipt, then the fee would stand. Neither company will concede to the either, and so I am stuck in a limbo trying to find out how my cancellation date was determined.

I contacted the Better Business Bureau to voice my complaints against both companies. I received a response from Stephanie ** of ABC Financial stating that the date of cancellation was determined by the date that they received my cancellation. I received a response from Gold's Gym stating that they determine cancellation date by the postmarked date. In addition, the respondent included this "** also had a previous membership with us that was sent to third party collections due to non-payment. Should she wish to contact First Credit Services regarding that debt their number is 1-800---".

This statement is completely false. I have never been sent to collections by any company and certainly not by Gold's Gym over a $20/month gym membership. The attack on my character clearly reveals what kind of character is displayed by the owner, and therefore management of Gold's Gym. With all that money that they spend on advertising, you would think Gold's Gym could spring for a little customer service training. I cannot believe that they would be so argumentative over a $39 charge. I am especially surprised at the owner's decision to bring defamation of character into the argument.

Original review: June 19, 2014

Started at this gym SOLELY because I was promised that I could freeze my account for an extended period of time while I traveled to Taiwan. Was told before I left that I still could, and then DURING my time out of the country, I was charged my regular monthly gym fee. THEN I was told, "Our policies regarding freezing your account have changed", "Freezing your account is a courtesy, and not a right you are entitled to per your contract", "There was nothing we can do." And not only could I NOT get a refund for the $100 they charged me, but I will have to pay an additional $50 if I want them to stop charging me. None of the "managers" could give me a straight answer, and they never kept "logs" of our conversations.

The gym is great, if you don't care about business ethics at ALL. I know it has a lot of great reviews, but make sure you DO read the 1-star reviews. I wish I had read them before I signed up. Seems like a lot of other people were also tricked out of their money by management at this gym.

Original review: June 16, 2014

After fulling my 9month contract I was told by 4 golds supervisors that I could suspend my membership. While I traveled for the summer, I sent an email requesting a temporary suspension. I was told I would have to request it in writing - verbal communications and an email were not sufficient communications. A month later they finally emailed me the p.o. box number. I mailed the letter but was told via my trainer that the trainer department called him and told him to tell me that I could not suspend, I could only cancel. What they were trying to do obviously was get the extra $560 for months I couldn't use. Instead I cancelled.

I was told that they would charge me for one more month because notification of cancellation must come 30 days before the next credit card automatic withdrawal -- the only way they will allow you to sign up for training sessions is with a credit/debit card. However, my credit card expired in the interim. I refuse to give them my new number. So they put my account on hold and will not allow the trainer to train me for 9 training sessions I had already paid for. Yes they are holding me hostage. I anticipate they will report me to their collection agency. It will be a cold day in hell before I pay another $280 in order to get the $315 worth of session already paid for. Gold's Gym Training business practices suck! My trainer, however, was awesome, to no credit of the training program itself.

Original review: June 13, 2014

Be careful when you leave the gym. They kept billing my credit card after the agreed closure date. They even kept billing me after they sent me a refund check. Hope I can get them to stop soon, or I may have to cancel the card.

Original review: June 11, 2014

Gold's Gym has lost my patronage for life and I will do everything I can to let my discontent be known far and wide in order to prevent someone else from being a victim of this business. Gold's Gym has stolen $960 from me and my family. In 2009, I began a family membership with a gym which was later overtaken by Gold's. After a few years of being a member, I attempted to freeze my membership because my family did not have the time to go to the gym. I was under no contractual obligation and I could have cancelled my $135 a month membership if I wished. Instead, I opted to freeze the account for a $15.00 a month fee, with the intention of going back as soon as our schedules allowed. Freezing the account meant I paid $15 a month, but I was unable to use the gym while the account was frozen.

I went to Gold's Gym and requested to freeze my account. The gym employee scanned my membership card and then handed me a form to fill out. I was instructed to fill out the form with my information. I submitted the form and was under the impression my membership was frozen. I actually did this twice because I went in a second time to extend the time of the freeze. I went in on 10/15/13 and 4/29/14. I found out in June 2014 I had been charged the full $135 every month since I had informed Gold's Gym in writing I wanted my membership frozen and signed a form indicating I would pay a freeze fee to do so.

I was quite upset and I called Gold's Gym to address the issue on 6/6/14. I was met with a phone representative named Peter who was quick to tell me I was at fault. Peter explained my wife was the primary member and I was the secondary member. Since I was the secondary member, I was not allowed to freeze the membership. I spoke to my wife, and neither of us knew there was a primary and secondary member on our family account. Furthermore, the fees for the gym membership are taken from my credit card, not my wife's. Peter advised me the bar code number I put on the freeze form was for my non-dues account.

When I asked why I would agree to pay $15 to freeze a non-dues account, he could not provide an answer. I tried to explain I had no way of knowing what a bar code would mean to the internal workings of Gold's Gym. I explained how neither gym employee had advised me I was not able to freeze my account when I submitted my form to them. I explained how Gold's Gym never advised me they were not going to act on my request to freeze my account and therefore continue to charge me $135. Peter refused to assist me and further refused to let me speak to a supervisor. I called back to speak with another representative. I spoke with Sorida who said she would look into the issue and call me back. I was also provided an email address ** so I could submit my complaint in writing, which I did.

On 6/9/14 I had not been contacted regarding my complaint, so I sent a written complaint to the Gold's Gym legal department. On 6/10/14 I contacted Belinda via phone. Belinda then transferred me to Sorida so I could speak with Sorida again. Sorida advised me she looked into the issue and spoke to her manager. Sorida said the only thing Gold's Gym would do is to allow me to freeze my membership free of charge. This solution did nothing to account for the fact I had been overcharged $960 due to Gold's failure to freeze my family membership as requested, or to contact me and notify me of the issue which prevented them from acting on my written request. I told Sorida the proposed solution was unacceptable and requested to speak to her manager. I was transferred to Karen ** voicemail and I left a message for her.

On 6/11/14 I received a call from Karen **. Karen admitted in the phone conversation that I had no way of knowing my account would not have been frozen and stated she understood this issue was not my fault. However, Karen advised me the only thing Gold's Gym would do is to allow me to freeze my membership for free in the future. I told Karen that was unacceptable and asked if I could speak with her supervisor. Karen told me she had already consulted with her manager, and the management of Gold's Gym concurred with this decision. Later, I contact **, the General Manager of the Evans Road location. I requested he provide me with a copy of the gym membership documents I signed with Spectrum Gym in 2009. ** stated he would need to request a copy and would forward it to me as soon as he obtained it.

The lack of Gold's Gym employees at gym locations to communicate and assist a member who wants to freeze an account, as well as the lack of internal controls within the Gold's Gym Corporation to identify an issue and communicate with their members, has cost me $960. Gold's Gym stated my wife was the primary on the account, however the money which was being charged was being charged to a credit card with my name on it, not my wife's. Gold's Gym has been notified of the issue and has failed to rectify it or refund the overcharged fees to make me whole.

Original review: June 3, 2014

Gold's Gym illegally saved my credit card information into their computer after I paid my VIP membership for one year. I found it out yesterday (6/2/2014) after I got an automated phone call from them claiming that I have a billing problem. When I called back, I was told that my credit card is expired. I was shocked that Gold's Gym is constantly monitoring my private data. When I signed up for a one-year membership with my credit card in February 2014, I didn't give them permission to auto-charge for anything. I asked to speak to the manager. But the manager did not want to take the phone. You can bet that I won't renew my membership when it is due next year.

Original review: June 3, 2014

I have been a member of this gym for well over a year and I refuse to do business with any Gold's gym ever again. The facility is disgusting and the upkeep is almost non-existent. When equipment breaks it stays broken for months. The staff in general is pretty useless. Most of the time they are just standing around doing nothing. In most gym's I have been to there is usually somebody walking around, putting weights back and straightening the place up, but not at this gym. The employees will just step right over the equipment littering the facility that is more like an obstacle course. Dumbbells go missing all the time and often aren't replaced in a timely matter. Many of the dumbbells bolts aren't properly tightened which leads to safety concerns.

People don't put their equipment back and the staff doesn't enforce the rules. In fact, I have seen the personal trainers on many occasions leave their weights and move on to the next machine. Very unprofessional. The facility seems to be way too small for the amount of people using it on any given day. There has been a sign up front that says the gym is currently expanding. It has been there since I initially joined well over a year ago. Other members claimed the same sign has been up for even longer. They now have just begun working on it. The bathrooms are disgusting and members piss all over the floors and many times aren't cleaned all day. What finally prompted me to drop my membership was when one of the three squat racks broke and wasn't repaired for well over a month.

There was a group guys using the remaining squat racks as bench press because all the bench presses were taken. This was on a Friday during off peak hours. I went to the counter to cancel. I filled out the form and submitted it. The girl at the counter didn't really seem to care. Every gym I cancelled with in the past I had someone speak with me about my concerns and why I was cancelling. Not Gold's. They really don't care, probably because they will continue billing you even after you cancel, which brings me to another issue with this ** hole of a gym. They won't let you cancel even though the contract is now month to month. I called Gold's after there was an unauthorized payment on my card for the month of June. The gym had no record of my cancellation and told me they would have someone contact me. I was contacted by ABC financial, who is a third party company that handles all of the billing for Gold's gym.

They told me they couldn't do anything until they receive verification of my cancellation from Gold's Gym. I called Gold's and they keep telling me that I have to speak with ABC financial and have been of no help. Now they aren't returning any of my phones calls despite leaving several voice mails. Everytime I call the receptionist tells me the billing manager is either out for lunch or is on the other line. I leave a voicemail asking for a call back and I get nothing. These guys are nothing but a bunch of crooks. I am now going to go through my bank to get relief so that these thieves stop stealing money from my account. The only problem is that I know they will send it up to collections screwing up my credit, but what else am I supposed to do? I have now filed complaints with the better business bureau and the state attorney general hoping to get some relief. These crooks will never get another dime from me.

Original review: June 2, 2014

Janak Puri Gold's Gym is NON AC gym. Every time they shut down the ac, oxygen level is always very low. 100 times I had been told about this but manager of Gold's Gym Mr. ** never bother. My experience in Gold's Gym Janak Puri is one nightmare.

Original review: May 31, 2014

Gold’s Gym - Culver City - Worst Gym Customer Service ever. I've been a member for a little over 4 years. Because of my job and traveling I had to cancel my membership while I was out of town not knowing when I would return. The gym's representative contacts me because they don't have my updated credit card (which was stolen so I had a new one sent to me from my bank). I told the young lady that I would like to cancel my membership because I am rarely in town. The representative told me that I could not cancel my membership and that I would have to physically come into the gym in order to do so. After two months being on the road I returned home to get an email from the new Gym Manager, Mr. **. Now keep this in mind since I've been a member for over 4 years I am now on a month to month pay schedule.

Mr. ** now informs me that I owe for the past 2 months and on top of that I have to pay $20.00 per month for each month I hadn't paid. I explained to Mr. ** that I talked to your representative that I was not in town and that I would like to cancel my membership. Mr. ** said that didn't matter and that I need to pay the outstanding balance on my account. I then told Mr. ** that I was coming down to the gym to pay the outstanding balance which I didn't believe I had to pay so that those automated calls would stop calling me and I will deal with the issue another way. Mr. ** then informs, "Sir, you don't have to come down here. You can cancel your membership by calling this number". I said, "Excuse me, are you telling me that I can cancel now by phone?"

I once again said to him I was coming down to the gym to cancel because "I no longer trust what you're telling me." After leaving work early and traveling over 25 miles to get to the gym Mr. ** tells me that their policies have changed and I can not cancel at the gym. So now not only do I have to pay about $120.00 for being out of town and working and trying to cancel while I was out of town two months earlier but now you can cancel by phone. At no point in time did the representative tell me I could freeze my account or supply me with an address to write in and cancel my membership. The training of Gold Gym personnel is horrible which is a reflection on their management.

The number that Mr. ** supplied me was the only competent thing their customer service did right. ABC Financial who now processes their payments and cancellation representative was a pleasure to speak with and was the one who asked me how come I didn't freeze my account. She was more informative than the people who actually worked for Gold's Gym. The $120.00 means nothing to me but, I will forever speak of my interactions and my experience with this lack luster Gym. To treat customers the way they do for a few measly dollars is not worth ever stepping into their gym ever again in any city. I will continue to tell this story to anyone who ask "what do you think about Gold's Gym?"

Original review: May 30, 2014

Thanks for all your comments! They were very helpful. I signed up for GG in November '13 in DC. Early this year, my CC got stolen and I requested a new one and immediately went to the gym to give the new number. I went 3 days before my payment was required and 10 days later, a $25 "late fee" was charged. Repeated calls to the gym went unanswered; "My manager deals with that and she's not in, but I will leave a message." "When will she be in?" "I don't know, but I will leave her a message." I called the corporate number. "You have to contact your local gym where you left the paperwork." After 5 messages over 7 days at that one gym, I called my CC and disputed the transaction. Boom! $25.00 refunded!

Now I am moving to Phoenix. I just cancelled online with Gold's, in the special, cancellation only website. Incidentally, the website does not show up in internet searched. I had to call my gym to get the special site for cancelling membership. You'd think that would be part of the MAIN SITE. Immediately after cancelling online, I called my credit card company and put a stop payment on any and all future charges by Gold's. That ought to stop any problems!

Bottom line: Deal with your credit card company. Not Gold's. Eventually, credit card companies will start to hate Gold's and penalize the company for making it impossible for regular consumers to deal with them. Only then will changes be seen to their terrible billing system.

Gold's Gym Company Information