Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.72/5

Gold's Gym Reviews

Original review: June 24, 2016

I joined Gold's Gym in Westlake, Austin. Thomas ** sold me membership and some of trainer sessions for $449. I told him that my daughter will be coming to visit me for 15 days so either I can join after she leaves or they can allow her for 5 or 6 times when I come in. He said she can come in no problem and that he will take care of it. Today me and my daughter went to gym and were treated like thieves - the lady was rude and said she cannot allow my daughter. I told her that Thomas ** told me she was allowed. She called Thomas and he told her he don't remember or he did not said anything like that. Needless to say we were turned away. Extremely fumingly mad at these cheats and thieves who sell you membership and lie. Will try to get out but I know they got my money. Will tell my story to as many people as possible. STAY AWAY FROM GOLD'S GYM.

Original review: June 13, 2016

Recently joined the Plano TX Gold's Gym. Gym closed permanently closed due to storm damage. Local mgr promised to freeze account until repairs, they continue to charge. Following month Cancelled locally with mgr, they never cancelled, continue to charge. Filled out Gold's online cancellation and received confirmation number, still not cancelled, still charging. No phone service person or manager can or has honestly assisted. In fact they've only blatantly lied about how to cancel. Very frustrating, Gold's does not have customer service for acct management. They continue to charge while I suspect they falsely make & collect insurance claims for loss of business income, since their Plano gym is permanently closed due to storm destroying the building location.

There are grounds for class action suit because they can't meet their contract obligations. Please send similar building closure, cancellation, in Plano Texas and any other locations with similar cause stories to **. As today's Gold's continues to charge my account AND personnel continue to tell me they have no clue how to cancel other than the Gold's site that I have used & received confirmation # cancelling. Please respond.

Original review: June 10, 2016

This is a horrible company. They have taken money out of my account twice now since I've contacted them on canceling my membership. Only an unethical, sneaky and conniving company would do something like this and not take responsibilities for their actions. It's been two weeks since I've contacted this company and nothing has been resolved. I will no longer refer customer to this company and nor will I ever. Extremely unhappy customer.

Original review: June 7, 2016

I belonged to a local gym and had a contract through them. Recently it switched over to a Gold's Gym. They cancelled the ONLY classes I went to, but informed each contracted member that the contracts will remain the same. Under my previous contract I could cancel anytime (for a fee). Since I was no longer using the facilities I went to cancel my membership. Not only were they not helpful in any way, they would not cancel my membership. They said I could "buy out" the rest of my term (for over $400) or wait until it expires in September. So now I get to pay each month for a membership that I am not using due to changes they made that were completely out of my control and would no longer work with my schedule.

You would think that after switching over and changing things up so much they would have a plan in place to take care of members coming from the old gym in case they are dissatisfied. Apparently customer service is not on their priority list, and they'll happily take my money every month even though I can't use the facility, when before they came in and took over, I could. Not happy at all. I miss the non-chain gym we used to have. Definitely won't be renewing after my membership lapses.

Original review: June 6, 2016

So I cancelled my membership the other day after jumping through some hoops. I was told by the front desk rep that it would take 30 days for my membership to be canceled, and the main office phone rep confirmed this. So to my annoyance I canceled and a week later went to the gym to take advantage of the 30 days I'm still paying for. When I check in the gal says "Your membership is canceled!" I explained what happened and how she herself had told me 30 days! She got her manager, I asked if I could just use the pool for 30 minutes before I had to go to work. He said "No your membership is canceled." I explained how I had been given wrong info, and how I've been a member for 3 years, and asked if I could use a guest pass I already have? He said "NO, you can pay $15 for a day pass!" I explained I work in customer service and this was their mistake in that 2 employees gave me misinfo! He said QUOTE "This is a business for profit so..."

At this point I walked away and gave him my talk to the hand gesture. I usually do not get ruffled by things like this, but I'm standing there in my workout clothes, like REALLY!!! Gold's is only about profits, not helping people be healthy or being a reputable company, customer service or anything but PROFITS! Gold's you can have your profits and eat them too! You can make profits and can good customer service! YUCK!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: June 5, 2016

I tried Gold's Gym for the first time when I availed of a promo where I'd have a month on a discounted rate with unlimited gym use and access to classes. Upon experiencing Gold's Gym I'm not exactly convinced to join (on its regular price). Why? Simply because I think it's too expensive. There's a gym near our home that offers practically the same services (exercising machines, classes, and clean environment) that costs waaaay lower monthly. With Gold's Gym's price, it makes me think that I'm paying for the space occupied by those huge machines.

Original review: May 26, 2016

Facilities = average. Pool = don't bother if you actually want to swim and exercise because the pool is like 10m and there are no lanes so people just piss about getting in the way. Staff = incompetent and you can never get hold of a manager. Being a member - if you at any point have an outstanding payment, they won't notify you about it then forward it to a debt collectors (CRS) 5 MONTHS LATER who will then demand + and state "Gold's are not legally required to notify you of arrears". ARE YOU ** KIDDING ME? It's like they do it on purpose or some **?! Just avoid, avoid, avoid.

Original review: May 26, 2016

I was relatively happy with the service I got from their Robinson's Place branch. The entire establishment, from the shower rooms, the sauna, the dance class studio, and main gym area, is properly maintained and well-kept. The staff is also accommodating and friendly. Moreover, I like that they allow members to swim at the pool of the nearby Holiday Inn. I also like the fresh fruit smoothies they offer to customers. However, the number of available equipment at their gym is not sufficient for the numerous members who work out there, especially from 5 pm to 9 pm on weekdays. It will take you at least 20 mins. to wait for your turn on the elliptical or treadmill which unnecessarily extends work out time and causes lapses in your exercise momentum. Maybe they should invest on additional equipment to better serve their customers, the majority of which are office workers with limited time for exercising.

Original review: May 19, 2016

The facilities at the branch that I went to was superb. I like that the machines have the safety feature in case you accidentally drop your weights. The branch also has a sauna and a pool. The people there are nice and do not make newbies feel intimidated.

Original review: May 19, 2016

I joined Gold's Gym for a medical problem but I was not able to use the equipment. I honored my year long contract after only using less than 6 months of the facilities. I explained to the gym what my situation was & told them that as soon as my commitment was satisfied that I would like to cancel. They strung me on & was able to get an extra $21.38 from my account because I didn't follow the rules (although I explained to them my situation & asked if they could help me). I am 69 years old & I told them that I was not as savvy as my younger days. My recommendation is, don't join a franchise (which is what gold's gym is in Lakeland Florida on hwy 98 N). I talked to a corporate gold's gym & they said that the franchise pretty much does their own thing. Stacy ** was the manager that pretty much ran me around. Very, very disappointing experience.

Original review: May 5, 2016

This place is a joke. Staff is rude and some illegal-looking individuals are employed there as cleaning service. They save money on AC during summer and they do not heat the place during winter. The word "hygiene" is not in their vocabulary. Whoever is a CEO of this is a simple, not providing scumbag. :)

Original review: May 4, 2016

The 1-866-465-3775 number is a JOKE. After numerous of attempts of trying to get in touch with someone I gave up. I called my local gym to cancel my membership and they also directed me to this number. I again called the local gym and they told me they could not cancel, I had to do it VIA email. Well after going through the steps I received a confirmation that after April I would no longer get charged. SURPRISE it's MAY and getting charged for a GYM that is actually closed for good. So who and the hell do I call to get my money back, NO ONE??? I SEE WHY THIS GYM DID NOT LAST!!! LACKING CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: May 3, 2016

Me and my wife have joined Gold's Gym on Oct 2015. I have cancelled my membership on May 2nd 2016 which is just three days past the billing cycle and they say they cannot refund the amount. And when I call their membership services nobody lifts the phone on the first day and then weekends it is closed. After a day got them on the phone and their reply was that they cannot reimburse.

Original review: April 20, 2016

I was a 3-month member on a Groupon late last year (2015). I was told the manager was no longer managing. I went in and the manager was working out. I went up to him, introduced myself, and he told me that he would call me concerning their fees. I received a call from a regular employee a day later. He made me aware of the fees. I went in today to ask about a 3-day membership to get an idea of the atmosphere and get one more impression of the manager. He walked up, asked if I was the same lady that had approached him, and told the other employee that I was not allowed to have a 3-day membership because of the Groupon last year. I do not know how he would have had the information about why I was even there.

The employee agreed to let me go sit in the sauna, but I walked back to the bathroom and then decided to just leave. I asked the employee if the manager was always such a jerk and he told me that he was just strict. He lost a customer. When I did the Groupon, I really felt the employees could be a little more attentive. They really act as though they don't really enjoy giving fitness advice or their jobs in general.

Original review: April 17, 2016

My wife and I signed up in Gold's Gym in Plano, TX. We paid one-time membership fee and also the first and last months' fees. After using the gym once gym was closed due to storm. We are not able to get our money back and they don't even honor their deal on freezing the account with no fee.

Original review: April 16, 2016

I am writing to you with great concern regarding the experience I had at Gold's Gym Santa Ana. On my initial sign up in the month of December 2015, I was verbally promised a promotional deal of $20.16 dollars down, first month free and $34.99 a month thereafter. I expressed that I could only pay this amount due to the fact that I was unemployed and could not afford any additional fees. I was also told that if I wanted to cancel my membership all I would have to do is give 30-day notice and pay for the last month. No additional fees, no penalties, just a mere $34.99. Prior to signing the contract I asked the customer service rep. Victor why does the contract show a monthly membership fee of $39.99? He stated "Just sign here, Teresa said she'll adjust the membership fee" and he told me that he'd notate the account. it wasn't till two months later that this request was submitted.

The first two months my credit card was debited $39.99. Although it doesn't sound like much, when you're on a tight budget every dollar counts. When trying to contact Teresa the general manager of Gold's Gym Santa Ana, I got nothing but the runaround. My card was charged in January and February. It wasn't until March that I got my free month as originally promised. Then when deciding this was not the gym for me due to the lack of customer service I choose to cancel my membership, only to get hassled about a cancellation fee.

After talking with Cassandra the customer service rep., I was informed rudely that I would have to pay $100 cancellation fee. When trying to explain to Cassandra that I was told that there was no fees per my verbal agreement she said she have the regional manager contact me. I then asked for his information but she would oblige. She wouldn't even share his name w/ me.

Two days ago, Cassandra told me that I would have no choice but to pay the $100.00 and give 30-day notice to cancel. She also informed me that "I was a grown woman, and should read all documents before I sign." She also said "you would go around buying cars w/out reading the paperwork right?" I decided not to stoop to her level and I just hung up my phone. So now I am reaching out to you because I feel I have no other option. I'm not using my membership and I'm sure as soon as April 28th rolls around they'll debit another $34.99. I have never been so disrespected in my life! No one should ever have to endure the disrespect that I endured.

Original review: April 13, 2016

I had a membership with Gold's Gym Vestavia and was a loyal club member, often referring friends to the facility because I believe that working out with encouragement from friends is a great way to have motivation to show up. After being wrongfully accused by the manager, Ian, that I was offering personal training services to people at the gym for compensation without having ANY proof whatsoever that the two friends of mine that were working out with me were providing me with compensation in any way, and then being threatened with an ultimatum to either workout BY MYSELF from now on OR have my membership terminated, I decided to take my business elsewhere. The sheer fact that I've been a dedicated member of this Gold's Gym since September 2014, and also choosing to help bring business to them, to be embarrassed and accused of such false accusations is appalling.

This small misunderstanding could have been handled in a much better fashion but the fact that Ian was very condescending and smirking throughout the entire conversation made me lose respect not only for him and the way he runs this gym, but for the company in general. My review of this facility would be to put your hard earned money towards a gym where the employees actually respect you and are actually thorough with their work. There are several comparable gyms around Birmingham! Go elsewhere.

Original review: April 12, 2016

I had an account in 2012 and I told them I wanted to cancel so I paid 120 and canceled the account and went on my way. I never received emails or mail and they didn't draft my account anymore. I took it as my account was closed as I asked. 2013 came and I decided to go back because it was a good location for my trainer and I. I opened up a new account. So I moved in 2014 an hr away and stopped going. I called and asked what was my balance because I just want to pay it off and I have a new gym. Well I was told 130.

So today I called to pay the 130 and Kale at the Mechanicsville location in Virginia tells me that I have two accounts open and they are both 300 a piece. I told him that is not correct and asked for a corporate number. He refused for 10 mins and the manager Billy would not come to the phone. I was told by Jake that if I come back in and get another membership they would erase both accounts. I told him "no give me corporate." I called corporate they tell me my account was sent to collections. They have no information or balance. They give me First Financial and I called them.

First Financial tells me that my balance is 159 which is what I was calling to pay. I asked them about the 700 dollars and they tell me that they don't have that balance. I called Gold's Gym back and the story changed to "we switched to a new company and we do have the 120 you paid from the first account but you will have to pay 300". I tell them what First Financial said and Jake places me on hold and comes back to tell me "Billy said just pay what First Financial said" and I should be fine. I asked "why won't Billy come to the phone" and he tells me that "Billy is in a meeting". So how is Billy telling you what to tell me, it's confusing. There is no one to speak to and Jake said he don't know who is in charge of the location he works in. They are a bunch of bull. Do not waste your time and money. I am going to pay 159 I actually owe but they will not add on extra just to get me to come back to get another membership.

Original review: April 3, 2016

Here are my TWO main concerns: I purchased personal training sessions and never got it. When I got the membership, sales told me I can go to any gym in US. I got less than half of my sessions and never got refund or the rest of my personal training sessions. Membership does not allow to other Gold's Gym Clubs. Overall - dishonest company. Bait and switch practice.

Original review: April 1, 2016

Overall, dishonest people and irresponsible managements. First, they dont honor their adds. The sales (Jon) person lock me up in a two years contract without telling me. If you have a problem there is nobody to talk to except the front desk. They have nothing to do for you. I got the chance after one week of trying to speak with the back manager. The store manager never gave me a chance or even bother himself/herself (I believe the name Aaron). I wrote couple e-mail without feedback. I asked for whomever above the store manager. The salesperson (Jon) said that he cant provide it because of the company policy. It was very much the same answer from the back manager when I had the same request. They charged me $40 and I didnt use the gym once. If you have to go there you cannot blink or trust them or you will be really sorry.

Original review: March 30, 2016

Family situation changed and I could not continue with the gym, so I went online to cancel. I have no contract, except I had to agree to be charged one month after the cancellation. However, somehow, my cancellation "did not go through". As I tried to stop by the gym to straighten out why they continued to charge me after the one month following cancellation. I called the corporate office and the guy I talked to said that they can cancel it immediately, but they cannot back pay me the 2 months after I have cancelled the last time.

Also, it seemed that they still want to charge me one more month after the cancellation effective today. This time I asked for an email confirmation - just in case- they continue with their billing and no one can trace back of anything. Scam! Avoid it! I think that if anyone consider joining Gold's Gym should think twice of all the trouble they will get (lost MONEY) in order to cancel the membership. I happened to have a wonderful trainer, and I liked her a lot. However, I will not ever join Gold's Gym again. I would not recommend it to anyone at all!

Original review: March 27, 2016

I canceled our account in October 2015 with Gold's Gym, Bellevue, TN location. I was told by the person that works there that I have a zero balance as of March 2016. However, I have received a bill in the mail of $555 from ABC Financial company and still until this day I am receiving phone calls from a collection agencies regarding the fraud unpaid bill.

I have signed the cancellation agreement and submitted it in person to Mr. **, with Mr. **'s presence, back in October 2015 at the Bellevue,TN location, and stopped by several times after that to confirm the cancellation and stop payments. I have stopped there seven time to ask them to stop charging us for biweekly membership. Mr. ** apologize and tell me that he will take care of it, and he never does! Until this day, they still have charges on my account. ABC Financial company claim that they never received a cancellation or stop payment of our membership. The whole business -- Gold's Gym and ABC Financial -- is scam.

Original review: March 18, 2016

I have tried to cancel the membership 3 times. Hopefully the 3rd time was a charm! Rude customer service!

Original review: March 17, 2016

Even after reading the reviews, I went against my better judgement and signed a contract with Gold's Gym. I was definitely cautious and a little retentive when it came to signing a gym membership contract. If I can pay in full, I do. I really thought I had researched everything well and wouldn't fall victim to a gym membership. I was very adamant with Gold's Gym about paying in full for my membership. I had to wait 3 days to get a manager's approval. I do not sign auto-renew contracts, nor do I authorize auto drafts. Due to a charge on my AMEX today, I called ABC Financial, who directed me to go on myiclubonline.com account. There are 2 contracts on file. Ironically, only one is signed by me. ABC Financial said "Obviously there was an error in the first, so a new contract was submitted." Are you kidding? Contract: enter into a formal and legally binding agreement.

Ironically, I called and wrote ABC Financial in October 2015 to ensure my daughter's membership was not renewed. Which they did not make easy. I had to contact them via phone and mail certified letter within 10 days of the call, then follow-up with a call 5 days later. I included my name on all communication as well as hers. They agree today her contract is cancelled, but mine is not. Today, ABC Financial has advised me to contact the person who signed me up at Gold's Gym. Now that is really funny. Hmm... Same staff from 15 months ago? ABC Financial cannot assist. They only handle the billing. BUYER BEWARE...

Original review: March 16, 2016

My daughter (18 years old) received a free trial membership from Gold's Gym. She had a new part-time job and she was told to fill out paperwork and sign her name for her free membership. They immediately took 149.00 out of her checking account. She called asking what was happening and they told her she had signed up for a membership. She finally had to cancel her debit card after $300.00 of charges. Now she is being harassed by a man who pretends to be an attorney named Jim **. He is with a collection company that uses fear and harassment tactics. He told her he would contact her work if she didn't pay. Don't step foot in Gold's Gym. They have been using these horrible business practices for years!!!!

Original review: March 5, 2016

My normal gym membership is $80 a month which is way too much. They accidentally charged $283 one time. I called customer service on Monday for help, nobody would help me. I called on Tuesday, no one would help me. I call on Wednesday, no one would help me. During this time nobody would let me talk to the manager. Thursday I used profane language, guess what? I talked to Manager. I found out if you push Gold's Gym management and tell them about their horrible customer service they will terminate your contract and you don't have to pay a cancellation fee. Just drop the F bomb. Keep calling back until they address your issue. Keep asking for management. Don't let them take advantage of you. They are corporate terrorist. I suggest that you email a lady named Myrna to get it taken care of and write your formal complaint too. She is more than willing to terminate people and make it where you don't have to pay a cancellation fee.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2016

Brought my daughter with me to workout like always and the girl up front was very rude and wouldn't let her workout. She is 12 and they said she has to be 14. Never had a problem till today. The girl had her in tears. Poor way to treat a kid.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

They will nickel and dime you for every penny. I cancelled my membership and gave them my 30 day notice and they charged me 3 more 2 week payments. They are so terrible. Never join.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

Signed up at Gold's Gym on month to month plan because location was close to job and wasn't sure how long it would last. Three months later I was laid off, go to cancel membership and said I signed a contract and had to pay $59 dollars to cancel and pay for one more month which equals $90 dollars to cancel. Don't sign up at Gold's Gym or you will definitely be paying more than what you are told. Just don't do it.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2016

I cancel my account on December 12th of 2015 and I am still being billed to this day. I cancel again last night. Got a confirmation email from Mr. ** that my final billing will be on March 4th, however when I signed up I paid for an extra month of service in the event that I cancelled so an extra month was already paid for so this would not occur, plus I have no contract so I don't know why it was not officially cancelled on December 12th. I was told to provide documentation proving that I had surgery and cannot use my gym membership. Again I do not have a contract. I was told that general management cannot issue any refunds, that they have to consult with accounting. I told them to do so. I was also only notified when my card was cancelled that I was still being billed. Please be advised I work with a company that recommends go gym and I'm meeting with them about this today as well with my bank and I will take legal action if necessary.

Gold's Gym Company Information