1.88/5
Based on 8 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

17 Body By Jake Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

It broke while using it, there is NO WAY TO CONTACT them. I have tried every which way to get them to fix or replace the part, but they are unreachable. They sell the product with a guarantee and back it with a person's word. Both are worth nothing. Don't go there. Find something somewhere else that can be serviced.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I was very very very disappointed with this apparatus. I envisioned myself getting a great workout at an inexpensive price. I found out that the old cliches still hold true, you get what you pay for. The bands snapped two months after me purchasing the (junk) machine. To add insult to injury, customer service was a recorded message that NEVER produced a human being. I guess that's how Jake became a millionaire from suckers like me.

Get expert buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Tower 200 - I bought this a few years ago as a quick, easy way to get some exercise (as I got lazy sitting at a computer for so long), and it was working great for a while. My fitness level has improved a lot over the past few months, however I started to use it more and more for strength training (I guess you could call it). Unfortunately it seems the cords (bands) have uneven tension. I tested each band (orange capped ones), have 3kg tension difference at 1 meter pulled tension on the bands. The grey capped ones are 1.4kg difference at 1 meter pulled tension. The DVD with the kit always goes on about doing the same amount of reps etc with each side so each side of your body (arms and legs etc) get a unilateral & even workout, however with the bands being uneven tension I don't see how that is possible.

I didn't find they were uneven until I realised the strength and muscle definition was uneven on both sides, and quite honestly I'm disappointed in the quality of the product. I would suggest if you buy one of these you use the same band to workout on both sides, that way you will get an even workout. The reason for my review: I don't like buying dodgy products, nor do I like recommending them to others, and would rather warn people about products that are not of decent quality, to try and save people money and the aggravation finding out the hard way.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

My kid pulled the wrong strap and the strap connection separated. I can't find my manual on how to reconnect the strap and of course no customer service. I would like to use the gym but I can't get the strap to tighten. Help.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2014

I rarely use my Tower 200 but it was a gift from my wife a year or two ago. On occasion I use it to stay in some modicum of shape. I was attempting the military press just as shown on the workout guide and the red cord's plastic piece broke. The cord snapped and left a nice welt on my arm, it hurt pretty bad but I'll live. Being that the red cord is the greatest amount of resistance, this apparatus isn't much use to me if I can't use the full weight available. I'd love a replacement cord but can't seem to find a customer service email or telephone number. It's great to sell these products then make yourself unavailable should anything go wrong with them... I'd love for anyone out there that can help to get in contact with me through this site if possible. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Body By Jake?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2014

I bought the tower 200 summer of 2013. I didn't use hardly until November of 2013. First week in January 2014, the plastic pulley from the black band which is claimed to be 35lbs broke and hit my left calve as I was doing front leg raises. I did get hurt. I called the 888 # on the website. But it was always busy, always the same thing. I then emailed the email on the site but it said email not valid. I tried 7 times on different days but no luck. I bought this so I could use for some type of exercise as I am on dialysis. I just wanted exercise. Now the item is basically useless and I got nothing from their customer service info from their site.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2013

I have been waiting for a new Cardiac Cruiser for over 3 months. Been told back order too many times. Now I call them back and the phone is a busy signal constantly for over 2 weeks now. I think it is going to be disconnected to a Not in Service number soon. Then how do we get our money back or get the product. I am really fed up with Cardiac Cruiser by Jake customer service.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2011

I called to order the Tower 2000 because it connects to the door, which excited me because I looked into pull up bars but my frame is too ** to support them. After four minutes of gibberish, I still had questions for the operator but she told me that her line was for ordering and I needed to talk to customer service. She spit out the number, repeated it. I said "(her name), please help me," and she hung up.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2010

My husband ordered by an equipment. They had made tall claims and when we called for refund so as to return their product, we were told of 30 days guarantee that was never implemented. We were cheated and my husband felt the same. Now we got cheated by $100+ shipping and handling charges, and they don't care for customer if they get results or not, and waste time over phone and customer service is thumbs down. Either they ** or are evasive of the refund.

Original review: July 8, 2010

My ab-back equipment broke completely as I was going backwards. Apparently there is plastic inside the weights. I am hurt pretty bad as a result of the machine flipping entirely over.

Original review: June 19, 2010

This particular piece of equipment attaches to the back of a door with "U" shaped plates on the top and bottom. In between the plates are metal support poles. The entire thing is kept on the door by high tension bands that run from the top to the bottom. While using this product, the lower brackets (that attach to the door) bent, releasing the entire lower section of the equipment back into my face.

Original review: May 20, 2010

I bought an exercise machine. I got charged twice for the equipment, then I called for a refund. I returned the equipment through the US post office and never received my money. I called again to find out they are not in the market! I want my money back.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2010

I tried to order the Tower 200 exercise machine from the company at the advertised price of $14.95. After I filled out the shipping information, it turned out the total was going to be $190.04 so I decided not to order it. There was no way to cancel the order on the Web site. All I could do was keep from clicking on the "Confirm" button at the end and then I exited the Web site. That was on 2/20/2010.

Today, on 2/21/2010, I received an email confirmation of my order which I never confirmed with a "no-reply" email address. I found a customer service email address and sent them a firm letter telling them that I did not want to purchase their product. My intention is to reject receipt of the product if it gets here. According to the email I received from Body by Jake, my Master Card is being charged $30.24 and will be charged monthly until the total of $190.04 is paid off.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2010

Late last year, I purchased the Tower 200 from Body By Jake. I opted for the monthly-auto-pay option. After what seemed like months, the gym arrived. Within a few months, one of the plastic heads on (black) cable snapped and almost broke my foot! I called and after getting transferred around, a rep told me that I had the gym for more than 30 days; so there is no warranty. But after telling her that the cable almost broke my foot; she said she would send it out. Weeks later I called, and nothing had been shipped.

Finally someone shipped the replacement cable. Within a week or two of that, (another) plastic cable end snapped! This time a (red) one, but luckily it broke down the middle and missed my foot. Since then I just stopped using it. Today out of nowhere, I get a letter threatening me that I owe another $93.06 which I already paid for this horrible gym! No one bothered to call me or even email me; they just started sending me threats?!

There is no real Customer Care over at Body By Jake; it's just Call Centers that sometimes have people that know what product they are selling. So I don't have anyone to speak to about this. But I already paid for this worthless, hunk of junk gym and I'm not going to pay some other fees that they just dreamed up! If they want to play this game, then I want to just send it back and get a full refund. I would rather send it back anyways, because a person would have to not have any sense of danger to use the Tower 200!

It's built with cheap Chinese knockoff parts, that when they break, can do an insane amount of damage! The red cables have, what they claim 50 lbs of resistance which is good for a solid gym, but horrible when you're dealing with something built on-the-cheap. I have purchased other Body By Jake products, but never again! I didn't know customer care was this much of a problem nor did I know billing issues would just magically come up, and that BBJ would just send harassing letters!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2009

I received a package which I did not order. It happened at the same time I got sucked into one of those free trial Acai Berry scams and I believe they may have gotten my credit card number from there. I refused the package and had to cancel the credit card because of the charge from Body by Jake and Acai Berry. I received two demand notices for payment for the item I had returned. I contacted their customer service department and explained that I did not order the item and refused the package and USPS returned to sender. They asked me for the return receipt article number.

I explained that you don't get any documentation when you refuse a package; it just gets returned to the sender. They indicated that they would make a note that I was disputing the bill. Then they sent me to a collection agency (SKO America). I explained the whole situation again and refused payment. I have no paperwork from Body by Jake indicating I am disputing the bill (which the collection agency requested). I returned to the post office this morning and discussed with them and they indicated that Body by Jake is known for doing this to people.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2002

Iordered a total body trainer from body by jake over the phone from a info commercial on july 5,2002 they billed me for the amount of $229.75 I did receive the merchandise.Then I received my bank statement the following month and on Aug 22,2002 they took the money from my account again another $229.75.I called a number of times the last call was on Sept 10, trying to get results on when my money will be credited back to me, with no results Julie is the one I spoke to today Sept 10,2002they will not give last names, also on Aug 23,2002 I faxed to Litia the customer service manager a copy of the statement from my bank stating the duplicate charges.

Original review: June 26, 2001

I purchased a Bun & Thigh Rocker from the Body by Jake company on 2/27/01. The total price of the rocker was $229.94. This included the rocker for $199.95 and shipping/handling for $29.99. I did not want to pay this price all at once, so I chose the 5 month payment plan. There's a 30 day money back guarantee with this machine. I called the Bun & Thigh Rocker customer service number to find out exactly how long I had to return the rocker for a refund. Their customer service representive said I had about 10 days left from the 30 days, but gave me an additonal 30 days to use the machine to see if I really wanted to send it back. This gave me a total of 60 days with a money back guarantee.

Well, I didn't like the rocker and sent back (still within the 30 days). Their customer service representative let me know that if I were to send back the rocker that I should insure it. That is all that he said about returning it. I sent back the Bun & Thigh Rocker on 4/5/01. I sent it standard mail and with a delivery confirmation receipt/number, but completely forgot to insure it. I checked my confirmation number and it showed that my package was delivered about a week and a half later. About three weeks had gone by since I mailed back the rocker.

I contacted the Body by Jake customer service to see why it was taking so long to credit back the two payments that I had been charged for on my credit card. They told me that they hadn't received anything yet. I was told to wait about another week. Well, I called back a week later and there was still no sign of the rocker that I had returned. The lady that I spoke with was very rude and said that I would not get a refund for the rocker unless I had proof that I sent it back. I hung up with her to find my delivery confirmation number. I called back a few days later and spoke with someone else, a man. Still no sign of my return after over a month since I mailed it. He would not accept my confirmation number. He told me that I should of sent it UPS because it comes with a tracking number. Well no one told me that I had to mail it UPS and I did have a tracking number. He said that as soon as it is delivered back to them it is inputed in their computer system as returned. According to him it must have gotten lost in the mail. I don't think so. Not when my confirmation number showed that it was delivered.

Someone received the rocker that I sent back and it makes me very upset that the customer service thinks there is no way that maybe one of their people made a mistake and did not input my return. I e-mailed their customer service about four different times to get a name and address of someone that I could express my concern to. I finally received a responce on the fourth e-mail saying that someone would be contacting me. That has never happened. As of right now I've paid four of the five payments for the Bun & Thigh Rocker. They will still bill me one more payment of $39.99 for something that I don't have. This is the worst customer service I've ever dealt with and I will never purchase another product from the Body by Jake company again.

Body By Jake Company Information

www.bodybyjake.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business