3.3/5 (7 ratings)

About Tonal

Tonal creates mirror exercise systems that allow you to complete full-body workouts at home without a large amount of space. It also offers virtual training sessions with instructors and custom workouts. Membership is mandatory for the first year, and the equipment requires professional installation.

Pros

• Full-body workout equipment
  • Virtual training options
  • Small space requirement

Cons

• High initial cost
  • Monthly fee for the first year

Bottom Line

Tonal is a relatively small at-home gym that can provide strength training, cardio activities and toning exercises. Custom workouts and instructor-led classes are available. Tonal isn’t cheap, but it offers compelling benefits.

What is Tonal?

Tonal is both the name of the company and the space-saving home gym it sells. Tonal’s equipment uses smart technology to provide a full-body workout. You can:

• Choose from hundreds of on-demand coach-led workouts via video
  • Access virtual group workouts
  • Partner with a friend
  • Customize your own workout from Tonal’s 170 moves

Options include strength training, cardio and toning workouts. Tonal’s artificial intelligence features check your form and automatically adjust the resistance to your appropriate weight and number of reps too.

How does Tonal work?

Tonal is a small home gym that uses magnets and electricity to provide up to 200 pounds of resistance, and the system dynamically adjusts the weight based on your strength.

Tonal is also notable for its small footprint. The actual Tonal equipment is 21.5 inches wide, 50.9 inches tall and 5.25 inches deep. The company recommends a total floor space of 7 feet by 7 feet, 7 feet of unobstructed wall space and ceilings at least 7 feet, 10 inches tall for installation.

Tonal delivers and installs the gym for a fee, and you can’t install the equipment yourself. You must also buy a membership for the first year. After that, you may choose to use the gym without the membership.

Membership provides access to trainers and workouts and allows unlimited members to track their progress and maintain a profile with personalized workout plans. Members can also exercise live with a virtual group or a partner.

How much does Tonal cost?

The Tonal gym mirror costs $2,995 at the time of publishing. For an additional $495, you can purchase a set of six Smart Accessories, including:

• Smart Handles
  • the Smart Bar
  • A rope grip
  • A bench
  • A roller
  • A workout mat

As of publishing, Tonal requires customers to purchase a membership for $49 a month for at least the first 12 months. You also have the option to finance your Tonal gym, membership, smart accessories, shipping and installation for $149 a month over 36 months at 0% APR.

Tonal FAQ

How much is Tonal per month?
A Tonal membership costs $49 per month with a commitment of at least 12 months at the time of publishing. Customers who finance the total purchase (membership included) pay $149 per month.
Can I use Tonal without a membership?
Yes, but you must purchase a Tonal membership for at least the first 12 months after the home gym is installed. You can use it without a membership after that, but you will not have access to the instructor-led workouts.
Is Tonal made by Peloton?
No, Tonal is not made by Peloton.
Does Tonal offer free shipping?
Tonal does not offer free shipping. At the time of publishing, it charges $250 to deliver and install its system, which must be installed by Tonal professionals. Shipping is also only available within the contiguous United States.

Is Tonal worth it?

For people who can afford it, Tonal is a worthwhile option. It offers capabilities that mimic an entire gym lineup without requiring as much space. With over 170 possible moves and 200 pounds of resistance, you can get a full-body workout through strength training, cardio work and toning exercises. Tonal allows for an unlimited number of users who can then access virtual classes, work out with a friend online or customize a personal routine. The equipment and installation are pricey, but after that, the $49 monthly rate is less than many gym memberships.

Tonal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tonal?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tonal?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I could have never imagined how truly transformative a product like Tonal could be for me as I was researching it early on. I didn't think it was possible to get an at-home connected gym that truly provided a full body experience. But all of that uncertainty went completely away after doing the initial strength assessment. This is absolutely the real deal. There are MANY things to love, so I'll touch upon a few that come to mind when I think of Tonal as a whole.

The device itself is very well built and allows for a variety of different movements. The built in library of movements includes nearly 150 guided moves, but it also allows you to position the arms in any way you want (and perform a move NOT in the built in library of moves) -- The screen is massive and really lends itself well to view the coach and receive feedback

The technology behind the hardware is incredible. Tonal will very quickly analyze your strength after a 10 minute assessment and then adjust all the future weights for all of the moves to accommodate your strength. As you work out and get stronger, Tonal will automatically adjust your weights up by a minimum of 1 pound. This works. And the data visible to you SHOWS that it works. After just over 2 years of use, my Strength Score (the overall assessment of your strength) has increased nearly 300%. It's so motivating.

The coaches are top in their fields. They not only provide guidance (and humor!) within each of the workouts, but they also listen to and respond to the community on Facebook and provide SO much more content outside just the Tonal itself. They are amazing!

The breadth of content is remarkable. Between full programs that can last anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks, a slew of individual workouts, strength training, barre, HIIT, meditation, mobility, live classes and more, you'll always have something new to do on your Tonal.

The Tonal Community on Facebook is unlike any other community I've experienced on the social sites. It's filled with super positive folks who all encourage each other and share success stories and it's genuinely a place I go to to seek motivation!

Lastly, it's important to state that the product is nearly unrecognizable now from the original product I bought 2 years ago. This speaks to the level of work that the company has been putting on behind the scenes to listen to customer feedback, update regularly, add brand new content and features, and to also just make the device overall better. And this is all without having to buy anything new. So so good.

If you're looking for the highest technology at-home strength training solution that takes up minimal space, has amazing content and coaches, then just know that there is nothing quite like Tonal.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

I was admittedly hesitant to make sure an expensive purchase - especially from a new(ish) company but I did and I couldn't be happier. The communication before my delivery was consistent and helpful, delivery itself was timely and expertly done and of course the Tonal itself immediately became a non-negotiable part of my home exercise routine. I'm so grateful to have access to this outstanding machine and coaching all from the comfort of my own home. Bravo!

Get buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I’ve had my Tonal for 2 years now and absolutely love it. I had a traditional weight system (Nautilus) for many years before that but rarely used it because it was difficult to change the setup for different exercises and just not fun, so of course, I didn’t get any results. Tonal is super easy to change and best of all, it’s fun. I walk up to it, hit the Play button and my program continues with the next workout, it knows how much weight I can lift with each exercise and knows when to increase it so I continue to build muscle. You still have to do the work, of course, but it couldn’t be easier to start each workout. It’s also nice that it can increase the weight by as little as 1 pound, whereas most weight systems require a 5 pound or more increase, which can tend to block your progress. The eccentric, chains and Smart Flex features on it are also impossible with traditional weight systems.

I’ve used Tonal every other day for these 2 years. Yes, every other day without fail, except for vacations — today was my 330th workout in about 730 days. I still find it hard to believe I do it so consistently. I look and feel better than I ever have, I’ve had to buy all new smaller-sized clothes (great problem to have!), people actually comment that I look “fit”, which has never happened to me.

I bought Tonal thinking it would be the Peloton of weights, but I’ve found I look forward to using Tonal even more than Peloton, which still surprises me because I have loved my Peloton bike (and still do!) for 3 years before I got Tonal. It seems expensive, but if you compare it to a decent gym setup, it’s comparably-priced, in my opinion. And it takes up much less room, is safer to use and, again, is a lot more fun. I happily pay the $50/mo for the service. Plus, the software and the programs continue to improve, so it’s money well-spent to me. It’s very well-made, I’ve never had a problem with it and the software continues to get better and better all the time. I sound like a Tonal ad, I know, but the thing has changed my life and my health. And that makes it worth every penny.

I’ve heard stories (on r/TonalGym on Reddit and other reviews here) about the problems with the delivery and installation, and I sympathize, but those companies aren’t Tonal. In Seattle, XPO delivers Tonals and my delivery installation was great and I’ve had other gym equipment (Peloton Bike and Tread, Hydrow) as well as furniture and have never had a problem with XPO. Maybe I’m lucky, but I think the quality of XPO differs by location. Hopefully, Tonal can get those problems resolved but once it’s installed, you’ll soon forget about it and love your Tonal.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

So just to leave an honest review the two knocks on the unit are the price and the some of the delivery times. Ours took nearly 4 months which isn't surprising given how long it takes to get anything in 2021. It took me nearly 9 months to get a couch in 2021. The unit really replaces a personal trainer and a gym membership so you have to keep that in mind. Tonal isn't cheap but it's an investment in your health if you use it. The best exercise equipment is whatever you are going to commit to use!

That being said we love this product. My wife likes the flexibility to work out when it's most convenient and going to a gym isn't practical for her. She has never been into weights and found the gym experience overwhelming at times and now can do a great deal with Tonal. The product keeps track of her progress and pushes her in ways a personal trainer would. As a more avid gym rat this product is phenomenal for me. I am more into strength training and core and Tonal has helped me take my training to the next level. There is a reason Steph Curry and LeBron James are making sure these are in every NBA workout room.

There are hundreds of classes and time under tension nearly doubles the workout effectiveness. I am a middle aged guy trying who had kids late in life so trying to stay fit and active with a muscle bound physique. If this was a gimmick I'd tell you but it isn't. Tonal is grade A beast of home gym. Anyway this is all one man's opinion of a dude who doesn't want to fall into the dad bod character category.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I ordered the Tonal Gym and paid the $3684.40 in full on 11/17/21. Today is exactly three weeks from the day that my Tonal was incorrectly installed (Installation Date 12/23/21). The unit was installed 2 feet from a wall which inhibits the ability to extend the arms that are 3 feet long to the sides. There are many notes on this file since I keep calling and am constantly told that someone will come out to re-install my Tonal. I called and emailed Tonal again today and received the same following canned email response: "Thanks for calling today! It was nice speaking with you. As discussed, I am following up with our installation partners to have this issue rectified as soon as possible. As soon as I get a date for you, I will give you a call." Whenever they do decide to come and properly relocate the Tonal unit, my wall will have damage that will need to be repaired.

Tonal requires that they install the unit, but they contract this service out to a company called "Ryder". I do not have any faith in Ryder based on this experience. They should be well trained on the specifications of the installation. After you pay for the Tonal Gym in full, Tonal requires the customer to do measurements and take pictures of two locations in the home for the Tonal installation before they will even schedule the installation. The two guys from Ryder came into my house and rushed through the installation. I told them before they left that the Tonal was too close to the wall for total use of the arms. The one guy just told me that it will be OK and to just enter my credit card information and get started. I was furious!!!!

So here I am unable to use the Tonal Gym after paying for it in full and still waiting three weeks for the company to rectify this problem. I still have no resolution as to how my wall will be repaired. I am so turned off with the whole experience. I highly recommend looking for an alternate home gym solution.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I purchased Tonal, then came the experience. I was told it was shipped and waiting for the installation. Then I was told the machine was not found by the installer. Then I was told another story that the installer may have forgotten to scan the machine upon arrival. I must had called a half a dozen times and got different excuses. It was then that I canceled the order. They also gave me a hard time canceling. Keep in mind I did not receive the order. They lost a customer and I will not be recommending this Tonal to anyone.

Original review: March 15, 2021

After waiting 12 weeks from date of order, my Tonal still has not arrived. I was not updated along the way and had to call the Tonal company myself just to know what was going on with my order. The customer service representatives had told me different things on different calls, one time saying that it would be 7-8 week delivery from time of order and another one saying 10-12 weeks. They were inconsistent in their communication and I will not be recommending Tonal for my family and friends.

Tonal Company Information