4.0/5 (37 ratings)

About Tonal

Tonal creates mirror exercise systems that allow you to complete full-body workouts at home without a large amount of space. It also offers virtual training sessions with instructors and custom workouts. Membership is mandatory for the first year, and the equipment requires professional installation.

Pros

• Full-body workout equipment
  • Virtual training options
  • Small space requirement

Cons

• High initial cost
  • Monthly fee for the first year

Bottom Line

Tonal is a relatively small at-home gym that can provide strength training, cardio activities and toning exercises. Custom workouts and instructor-led classes are available. Tonal isn’t cheap, but it offers compelling benefits.

What is Tonal?

Tonal is both the name of the company and the space-saving home gym it sells. Tonal’s equipment uses smart technology to provide a full-body workout. You can:

• Choose from hundreds of on-demand coach-led workouts via video
  • Access virtual group workouts
  • Partner with a friend
  • Customize your own workout from Tonal’s 170 moves

Options include strength training, cardio and toning workouts. Tonal’s artificial intelligence features check your form and automatically adjust the resistance to your appropriate weight and number of reps too.

How does Tonal work?

Tonal is a small home gym that uses magnets and electricity to provide up to 200 pounds of resistance, and the system dynamically adjusts the weight based on your strength.

Tonal is also notable for its small footprint. The actual Tonal equipment is 21.5 inches wide, 50.9 inches tall and 5.25 inches deep. The company recommends a total floor space of 7 feet by 7 feet, 7 feet of unobstructed wall space and ceilings at least 7 feet, 10 inches tall for installation.

Tonal delivers and installs the gym for a fee, and you can’t install the equipment yourself. You must also buy a membership for the first year. After that, you may choose to use the gym without the membership.

Membership provides access to trainers and workouts and allows unlimited members to track their progress and maintain a profile with personalized workout plans. Members can also exercise live with a virtual group or a partner.

How much does Tonal cost?

The Tonal gym mirror costs $2,995 at the time of publishing. For an additional $495, you can purchase a set of six Smart Accessories, including:

• Smart Handles
  • the Smart Bar
  • A rope grip
  • A bench
  • A roller
  • A workout mat

As of publishing, Tonal requires customers to purchase a membership for $49 a month for at least the first 12 months. You also have the option to finance your Tonal gym, membership, smart accessories, shipping and installation for $149 a month over 36 months at 0% APR.

Tonal FAQ

How much is Tonal per month?
A Tonal membership costs $49 per month with a commitment of at least 12 months at the time of publishing. Customers who finance the total purchase (membership included) pay $149 per month.
Can I use Tonal without a membership?
Yes, but you must purchase a Tonal membership for at least the first 12 months after the home gym is installed. You can use it without a membership after that, but you will not have access to the instructor-led workouts.
Is Tonal made by Peloton?
No, Tonal is not made by Peloton.
Does Tonal offer free shipping?
Tonal does not offer free shipping. At the time of publishing, it charges $250 to deliver and install its system, which must be installed by Tonal professionals. Shipping is also only available within the contiguous United States.

Is Tonal worth it?

For people who can afford it, Tonal is a worthwhile option. It offers capabilities that mimic an entire gym lineup without requiring as much space. With over 170 possible moves and 200 pounds of resistance, you can get a full-body workout through strength training, cardio work and toning exercises. Tonal allows for an unlimited number of users who can then access virtual classes, work out with a friend online or customize a personal routine. The equipment and installation are pricey, but after that, the $49 monthly rate is less than many gym memberships.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tonal?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tonal?

Original review: April 11, 2022

First off, I have to think that the folks that are leaving negative feedback about the customer service are trolls because I've contacted them twice and the only negative experience I had was due to the maintenance company they contract with, not Tonal customer service (the little balls that the cables glide over at the end of the arms looked like they were getting rusty, so Tonal replaced them). I LOVE my tonal. It's the most amazing piece of technology I own and it's changed my life in ways that I was not expecting.

For many years, beginning in my mid-20s and lasting until my late 30s, I trained in boxing, muay thai, and BJJ for at least three hours a day, 6 days a week. A succession of injuries, then COVID had me go from being in amazing shape to only getting up once a day to walk my dogs. I no longer worked out. No longer walked the 5 miles a day to/from the office from public transportation, no longer really got up from sitting at all.

I got fat, my blood pressure went up, I slept like crap...it just all fell apart. About a year ago I saved my money, crossed my fingers and bought a Tonal. I was in love from day one. Even better, I noticed the changes in my body after only a few weeks. Months into using it regularly and all of my old JiuJitsu related pains have completely disappeared. My shoulder with the torn rotator cuff, the knee with the torn meniscus, and most shockingly my always stiff and painful lower back are pain-free for the first time that I can remember. This machine takes all of the tedium out of weight training. You don't need a journal, you don't need to figure out what weights to lift on which days, you don't need to worry about lifting too much or too little. There are a bunch of sensors that measure form, muscle readiness, progress, stability, etc... It's just awesome.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I could have never imagined how truly transformative a product like Tonal could be for me as I was researching it early on. I didn't think it was possible to get an at-home connected gym that truly provided a full body experience. But all of that uncertainty went completely away after doing the initial strength assessment. This is absolutely the real deal. There are MANY things to love, so I'll touch upon a few that come to mind when I think of Tonal as a whole.

The device itself is very well built and allows for a variety of different movements. The built in library of movements includes nearly 150 guided moves, but it also allows you to position the arms in any way you want (and perform a move NOT in the built in library of moves) -- The screen is massive and really lends itself well to view the coach and receive feedback

The technology behind the hardware is incredible. Tonal will very quickly analyze your strength after a 10 minute assessment and then adjust all the future weights for all of the moves to accommodate your strength. As you work out and get stronger, Tonal will automatically adjust your weights up by a minimum of 1 pound. This works. And the data visible to you SHOWS that it works. After just over 2 years of use, my Strength Score (the overall assessment of your strength) has increased nearly 300%. It's so motivating.

The coaches are top in their fields. They not only provide guidance (and humor!) within each of the workouts, but they also listen to and respond to the community on Facebook and provide SO much more content outside just the Tonal itself. They are amazing!

The breadth of content is remarkable. Between full programs that can last anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks, a slew of individual workouts, strength training, barre, HIIT, meditation, mobility, live classes and more, you'll always have something new to do on your Tonal.

The Tonal Community on Facebook is unlike any other community I've experienced on the social sites. It's filled with super positive folks who all encourage each other and share success stories and it's genuinely a place I go to to seek motivation!

Lastly, it's important to state that the product is nearly unrecognizable now from the original product I bought 2 years ago. This speaks to the level of work that the company has been putting on behind the scenes to listen to customer feedback, update regularly, add brand new content and features, and to also just make the device overall better. And this is all without having to buy anything new. So so good.

If you're looking for the highest technology at-home strength training solution that takes up minimal space, has amazing content and coaches, then just know that there is nothing quite like Tonal.

Get buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

I was admittedly hesitant to make sure an expensive purchase - especially from a new(ish) company but I did and I couldn't be happier. The communication before my delivery was consistent and helpful, delivery itself was timely and expertly done and of course the Tonal itself immediately became a non-negotiable part of my home exercise routine. I'm so grateful to have access to this outstanding machine and coaching all from the comfort of my own home. Bravo!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I’ve had my Tonal for 2 years now and absolutely love it. I had a traditional weight system (Nautilus) for many years before that but rarely used it because it was difficult to change the setup for different exercises and just not fun, so of course, I didn’t get any results. Tonal is super easy to change and best of all, it’s fun. I walk up to it, hit the Play button and my program continues with the next workout, it knows how much weight I can lift with each exercise and knows when to increase it so I continue to build muscle. You still have to do the work, of course, but it couldn’t be easier to start each workout. It’s also nice that it can increase the weight by as little as 1 pound, whereas most weight systems require a 5 pound or more increase, which can tend to block your progress. The eccentric, chains and Smart Flex features on it are also impossible with traditional weight systems.

I’ve used Tonal every other day for these 2 years. Yes, every other day without fail, except for vacations — today was my 330th workout in about 730 days. I still find it hard to believe I do it so consistently. I look and feel better than I ever have, I’ve had to buy all new smaller-sized clothes (great problem to have!), people actually comment that I look “fit”, which has never happened to me.

I bought Tonal thinking it would be the Peloton of weights, but I’ve found I look forward to using Tonal even more than Peloton, which still surprises me because I have loved my Peloton bike (and still do!) for 3 years before I got Tonal. It seems expensive, but if you compare it to a decent gym setup, it’s comparably-priced, in my opinion. And it takes up much less room, is safer to use and, again, is a lot more fun. I happily pay the $50/mo for the service. Plus, the software and the programs continue to improve, so it’s money well-spent to me. It’s very well-made, I’ve never had a problem with it and the software continues to get better and better all the time. I sound like a Tonal ad, I know, but the thing has changed my life and my health. And that makes it worth every penny.

I’ve heard stories (on r/TonalGym on Reddit and other reviews here) about the problems with the delivery and installation, and I sympathize, but those companies aren’t Tonal. In Seattle, XPO delivers Tonals and my delivery installation was great and I’ve had other gym equipment (Peloton Bike and Tread, Hydrow) as well as furniture and have never had a problem with XPO. Maybe I’m lucky, but I think the quality of XPO differs by location. Hopefully, Tonal can get those problems resolved but once it’s installed, you’ll soon forget about it and love your Tonal.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

So just to leave an honest review the two knocks on the unit are the price and the some of the delivery times. Ours took nearly 4 months which isn't surprising given how long it takes to get anything in 2021. It took me nearly 9 months to get a couch in 2021. The unit really replaces a personal trainer and a gym membership so you have to keep that in mind. Tonal isn't cheap but it's an investment in your health if you use it. The best exercise equipment is whatever you are going to commit to use!

That being said we love this product. My wife likes the flexibility to work out when it's most convenient and going to a gym isn't practical for her. She has never been into weights and found the gym experience overwhelming at times and now can do a great deal with Tonal. The product keeps track of her progress and pushes her in ways a personal trainer would. As a more avid gym rat this product is phenomenal for me. I am more into strength training and core and Tonal has helped me take my training to the next level. There is a reason Steph Curry and LeBron James are making sure these are in every NBA workout room.

There are hundreds of classes and time under tension nearly doubles the workout effectiveness. I am a middle aged guy trying who had kids late in life so trying to stay fit and active with a muscle bound physique. If this was a gimmick I'd tell you but it isn't. Tonal is grade A beast of home gym. Anyway this is all one man's opinion of a dude who doesn't want to fall into the dad bod character category.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I spent weeks trying to get a tonal shipped after I ordered it. I spent countless hours dealing with customer service trying to prove I had the space to get it installed. Pics were sent showing measurements etc. Each time it was like starting over. Finally I canceled my order. Fast forward 5 months and they charged my card and tried to ship the machine. To make it worse they were shipping it to a billing address that was a p.o. Box. Since research shows these guys are losing money, and now they must be trying to bring money in by charging old customers. This is a poorly trained poorly ran company that is unethical. Stay away or you'll get burned.

Original review: March 20, 2022

Indy location just opened. Lawrence was Great in showing me and letting me try the machine. I was ready to buy, BUT a lady walked up and told us the difficulty she is experiencing in scheduling a delivery and is ready to cancel the order and buy a Mirror. People are willing to wait 6-8 weeks but not willing to get jerked around for the delivery/install. If she can't get one when the warehouse is only 30 minutes away then I have no chance of getting mine relocated when I move home with the installers 5 hours away. At that point I own it and have no recourse. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money with no Customer Service.

Too bad Tonal doesn't handle the entire process. If Customer Service is that bad before I purchase, it leaves me no choice but to not purchase. I really wanted to own this machine. It was perfect for me and my needs. Funny none of your reviews have stated this issue. Is Tonal filtering before posting them? Let me know if Tonal gets this handled. Very Disappointing!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

This company has lousy Customer Service. I have spoken with 10 CSRs and 2 Supervisors over the last 3 weeks to find when my Tonal would ship. They won't give me a date and have pushed back shipment 3 times. I am still waiting for an actual ship date. Buyer beware. They don't keep their word.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I ordered a unit in November and was given a December delivery date. That was moved to January. I was told my account would not be charged until after delivery but my checking account was debited before any delivery. After several calls and waiting on hold each time it was determined the shipment was lost. I needed to call every day because no one will call you back. You cannot speak to a supervisor and will be told they will call you back...they don't. The customer service is terrible...the worst I've ever encountered.

I am still waiting on a call and it is very, very difficult to try and get my money back because they tell me to talk to the bank and the bank states you must deal with them. Very frustrating experience for a $4,000 piece of equipment. This company spends so much on marketing and nothing on fulfillment and customer service. Management should be embarrassed by this and I noticed over 30 similar complaints on the BBB site. It was too late to help me but people should avoid this company and the frustration they provide.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Ordered Nov 2021. Expected to arrive before Christmas as this was gift for my wife. Dec 22nd notice that it was delayed until Jan 3rd. Finally receive notice to contact them to schedule install. 4th call just moments ago and they still can't reach whoever it is they are reaching out to. I believe the company you call is APO and it's a call center, not sure what else they handle, but they didn't have anything available on the schedule, put on hold, came back no answer to whoever she tried to call. The same instructions, someone from another party will be in contact within 24/48 hours to schedule something. This is the same thing for the last week I have been told. Everyday after this call I get a link to call them, rinse and repeat. It may be time to just cancel it and call it a day. For 3 Grand I could have had 2 Peloton bikes already running....

Tonal Company Information