About Tonal

Tonal creates mirror exercise systems that allow you to complete full-body workouts at home without a large amount of space. It also offers virtual training sessions with instructors and custom workouts. Membership is mandatory for the first year, and the equipment requires professional installation.

Pros

• Full-body workout equipment
  • Virtual training options
  • Small space requirement

Cons

• High initial cost
  • Monthly fee for the first year

Bottom Line

Tonal is a relatively small at-home gym that can provide strength training, cardio activities and toning exercises. Custom workouts and instructor-led classes are available. Tonal isn’t cheap, but it offers compelling benefits.

What is Tonal?

Tonal is both the name of the company and the space-saving home gym it sells. Tonal’s equipment uses smart technology to provide a full-body workout. You can:

• Choose from hundreds of on-demand coach-led workouts via video
  • Access virtual group workouts
  • Partner with a friend
  • Customize your own workout from Tonal’s 170 moves

Options include strength training, cardio and toning workouts. Tonal’s artificial intelligence features check your form and automatically adjust the resistance to your appropriate weight and number of reps too.

How does Tonal work?

Tonal is a small home gym that uses magnets and electricity to provide up to 200 pounds of resistance, and the system dynamically adjusts the weight based on your strength.

Tonal is also notable for its small footprint. The actual Tonal equipment is 21.5 inches wide, 50.9 inches tall and 5.25 inches deep. The company recommends a total floor space of 7 feet by 7 feet, 7 feet of unobstructed wall space and ceilings at least 7 feet, 10 inches tall for installation.

Tonal delivers and installs the gym for a fee, and you can’t install the equipment yourself. You must also buy a membership for the first year. After that, you may choose to use the gym without the membership.

Membership provides access to trainers and workouts and allows unlimited members to track their progress and maintain a profile with personalized workout plans. Members can also exercise live with a virtual group or a partner.

How much does Tonal cost?

The Tonal gym mirror costs $2,995 at the time of publishing. For an additional $495, you can purchase a set of six Smart Accessories, including:

• Smart Handles
  • the Smart Bar
  • A rope grip
  • A bench
  • A roller
  • A workout mat

As of publishing, Tonal requires customers to purchase a membership for $49 a month for at least the first 12 months. You also have the option to finance your Tonal gym, membership, smart accessories, shipping and installation for $149 a month over 36 months at 0% APR.

Tonal FAQ

How much is Tonal per month?
A Tonal membership costs $49 per month with a commitment of at least 12 months at the time of publishing. Customers who finance the total purchase (membership included) pay $149 per month.
Can I use Tonal without a membership?
Yes, but you must purchase a Tonal membership for at least the first 12 months after the home gym is installed. You can use it without a membership after that, but you will not have access to the instructor-led workouts.
Is Tonal made by Peloton?
No, Tonal is not made by Peloton.
Does Tonal offer free shipping?
Tonal does not offer free shipping. At the time of publishing, it charges $250 to deliver and install its system, which must be installed by Tonal professionals. Shipping is also only available within the contiguous United States.

Is Tonal worth it?

For people who can afford it, Tonal is a worthwhile option. It offers capabilities that mimic an entire gym lineup without requiring as much space. With over 170 possible moves and 200 pounds of resistance, you can get a full-body workout through strength training, cardio work and toning exercises. Tonal allows for an unlimited number of users who can then access virtual classes, work out with a friend online or customize a personal routine. The equipment and installation are pricey, but after that, the $49 monthly rate is less than many gym memberships.

Tonal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tonal?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tonal?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I purchased Tonal, then came the experience. I was told it was shipped and waiting for the installation. Then I was told the machine was not found by the installer. Then I was told another story that the installer may have forgotten to scan the machine upon arrival. I must had called a half a dozen times and got different excuses. It was then that I canceled the order. They also gave me a hard time canceling. Keep in mind I did not receive the order. They lost a customer and I will not be recommending this Tonal to anyone.

Original review: March 15, 2021

After waiting 12 weeks from date of order, my Tonal still has not arrived. I was not updated along the way and had to call the Tonal company myself just to know what was going on with my order. The customer service representatives had told me different things on different calls, one time saying that it would be 7-8 week delivery from time of order and another one saying 10-12 weeks. They were inconsistent in their communication and I will not be recommending Tonal for my family and friends.

Get buying tips about Exercise Equipment delivered to your inbox.

Tonal Company Information