3.7/5 (201 reviews)

About SOLE Treadmills

SOLE Treadmills Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SOLE Treadmills?

Original review: March 2, 2023

We ordered a treadmill from SOLE Treadmills on 1/8/2023. On February 7 the treadmill was delivered broken. The shipping company did not take the treadmill out of the box to assemble because they said the wires were stripped. The shipping company left the defective treadmill in my basement intact in the box. I have called SOLE treadmills three times, the first time to get a replacement the second and third time I requested a full refund. Still waiting on a response from the returns department. The returns department at SOLE treadmills does not accept phone calls. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. Unfortunately, I have read other bad reviews about similar experiences, I wish I would have read those prior to ordering from this company.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2023

The product has issues. The customer support answers quickly and always redirects me to technical support. Technical support never answers. Across the board is a bad experience, low quality and bad support.

Get buying tips about Treadmills delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I ordered an elliptical in the first week of December 2022 in preparation for a major event in the spring. I ordered directly from Sole--which was a huge mistake. Order from Amazon, Dick's Sporting Goods, or anywhere else. Their website said to expect the product to ship in 2-4 days and arrive 10-14 days after that. I didn't receive any word beyond my confirmation email until the last week of December, when I emailed customer service. They responded with a tracking number that didn't update. When I emailed back a few weeks later because the tracking bar had made no progress, they provided a new tracking number.

My machine finally arrived in the third week of January 2023--but the assembly crew couldn't complete their job because the box had been so poorly handled that a metal arm of the elliptical was bent out of shape. I received the parts the next week, but didn't hear from customer service--again, until I emailed myself. The tech finally reached out, but cannot come until next week--a full two months after I placed my order. The elliptical itself may be amazing (I'm not sure because I haven't been able to use it), but it's not worth the frustration and hassle of ordering from Sole.

Their customer service people respond to emails promptly, but don't expect them to provide you with any information or explanation for delays unless you reach out yourself. They don't seem genuinely concerned with or apologetic for the negative customer shipping experience, which leads me to believe it's part of the course when working with Sole.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

Reason for Return: Had a terrible experience with shipping company. Ordered on 11/9/2022 and did not receive product until 12/16/2022. Went to use it for the first time and received an E2 error message. Spent about an hour on the phone with customer service, applying the bottle of the oil the technician failed to do. It was suggested I reach out to THEIR technician. Customer service said they could not enter an repair order for next 2 days because I had just received treadmill and it would take 2 days to get my information into the warranty database and then I received an email that the parts were backordered for another couple of weeks. I submitted a request for return 2 weeks ago with no response. Called last week and was told I would hear back in 1-2 days, still nothing.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2022

Purchased the Sole ST90, the speed knob does not work and the tread freezes when the incline is raised requiring a restart. Have not heard back from the repair team for 3 months. The service agents are rude and completely incompetent without understanding of basic spelling and geography. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS TREAD!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2022

We bought an F80 treadmill on 12/2/22 and the box was missing a part. We have tried to work with Dick's Sporting Goods in Hoover, AL and SOLE Fitness Customer Service. The Sole Fitness customer service agents are some of the most rude and hostile that I've ever dealt with. Dick's SG managers were nice but did not follow up on promises such as getting the part for us or even calling us back. The only way that I was finally able to get the part shipped (have not received it yet) was to file a complaint with the BBB. What a crying shame that a company cares so little about customer experience/satisfaction. I would never do business with Sole Fitness ever again.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

Received a broken treadmill 2 weeks after guaranteed shipping. I have spent two months, 72 emails getting nowhere with them. They have informed me that they can not help me as they can't find a technician to service my area. The best part is they have offered me "100.00" to find somebody to fix my broken treadmill that cost over 1,000.00.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

Had a Sole Treadmill I bought in 2006 for 15 years and it was indestructible. When it finally died decided couldn't go wrong with another one, but I could not have been more wrong. Bought an F80 in April 2021 and a year in started making loud squeaking noises when running. First the way they diagnose is by having you describe the issue and send videos and pics in. 1st they said it was roller. Came out and replaced roller and noise stopped while tech was here but started again the next day. Called again and they said it was deck cushions. In the meantime my belt became very slick and dangerous to run on and I could not figure out why. 2nd tech comes out and when he removed hood there was lube everywhere. Literally small puddles around the motor and the belt was completely saturated and would need to be replaced. The previous tech apparently way over did it with the lube.

So after having to argue with Sole I get them to send out a new walking belt and drive belt. Tech comes today, replaces everything and when I get on to test it out unit is louder than ever. Contact Sole again. They tell me I can request a replacement but no guarantee they will replace it and in the meantime all warranty repairs would be put on hold until my case is reviewed which would be 3-4 weeks. So now I'm going to have been without a treadmill for 4 months and will be at least 5 months if and when the issue ever gets resolved. Will never buy another piece of Sole workout equipment again which is a shame because I loved their simple but sturdy design.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

When you buy from Sole, you deal with [1] Sole, [2] the shipper, and [3] the assembly, all of whom are separate businesses. The shipping took two weeks. The day it arrived, the assembly business told me the assembler would contact me "within 48 hours". He did not. The assembler business gave me the phone number of the assembler. I called him. He said, "I'm 2.5 hours away from you, it must be a mistake, it's not me". I called the assembly business. They promised he would be here by a certain date and time. He did not show up. He did not call. I initiated a dispute with my credit card company to cancel the transaction. Later that day the assembler called me. He sounded inarticulate. He said he would be here the next day. I said, "One person cannot do this job. There are stairs, and there are 90-degree turns. You need another person." He grumbled that he could not get another person.

He asked if there were someone local to me who could help. I said I had hired people from the local moving company. He said he would contact them. The next day he arrived, with a second person. They almost managed to get the 300-pound box down the stairs, until one of them almost fell. They had to cut open the box and move each part around the turn. Why didn't they unpack the box while it was on a flat surface, before they started to move it down the stairs? Afterwards, the assembler said, "It was a wise decision to use two people." I thought, "But I had to twist your arm to convince you." I've now used the treadmill three times. The first time, it vibrated and shook. (3.2 mph, 1 degree incline, nothing else fancy.) I guessed it was not on a flat surface (i.e. the basement floor might not be totally flat). I moved it a few inches. Now the vibration is less, but it is still less than perfectly stable while in use. I hope it will get better.

Original review: April 18, 2022

We bought a Sole F80 (folding) back in Jan 2021 and since then have probably only been able to use it for 4 months due to an endless string of quality and customer service issues. After 5 replacement parts, 4 service appointments, and 20+ hours on phone, the Treadmill still doesn't work. And the last issue (reported almost 3 months ago is still not resolved).

The first issue was in the motherboard, because of which the treadmill would incline/decline at its own will. It took Sole and its service provider 3+ weeks to resolve that. The second issue was with the front roller alignment. This took another 3+ weeks to resolve. After this we used the treadmill for 20 mins and the belt was misaligned. Filed for an issue again and took another 3+ weeks to resolve. The tech just adjusted the belt. After 20 mins of using the treadmill, the belt got misaligned again and it has 3.5 months, and the issue is not resolved.

The response from their service provider (Spirit Fitness) has been a hit or a miss. The work has been assigned to 3 different technicians and no one comes out to actually fix it. The treadmill and the replacement parts are collecting dust in my garage, and the last person I spoke to hung up on me. We have also reached out for return/replacement and Sole has decided to not help in that regard. To all reading this - if you care about your money spend it somewhere else!

SOLE Treadmills author review by Joey Thurman

SOLE Treadmills started out as a hotel vendor, selling treadmills to Hilton and other similar hotel chains. These treadmills were so popular with people who used them at hotels that the company decided to manufacture similar equipment for home use.

• Quiet motor: Although their motors are more powerful than many competitors’, they are so quiet that most customers can’t hear them.

• Unique design leads to greater stability: These machines are surprisingly sturdy due to their horseshoe design.

• Low price for high-quality features: The least expensive treadmill is $999 and includes Bluetooth capability with syncing to Apple Health and other apps, a USB port and a 3.0 horsepower motor that reaches 12mph. As an added plus, it folds for easy storage.

• Extensive warranties: SOLE offers some of the most extensive warranties available, offering lifetime warranties on the frame and motor and three years of service on the deck, electronics and parts.

• High quality parts: SOLE uses the same parts in its home equipment that it does in commercial fitness equipment, so parts are built to last.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Advisor

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

SOLE Treadmills questions and answers

What sets Sole Treadmills apart from the competition?
    We provide a solid warranty and have a reputation for quality. We offer products that compare to units twice the price of ours. We don't sacrifice. As manufacturing costs go up, we keep our prices competitive, and we don't skimp on quality components.
    What problem is Sole Treadmills trying to solve?
    We are looking at ways to make in home fitness a reality that goes beyond cheap exercise equipment. We want people to have the same level of quality they find at the gym. The problem is building that in a price our customers can afford, but still managing to stay profitable.
    What needs do your products fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    We provide people with ways to exercise at home. Many of our competitors are focused on bells and whistles. The result is they spend more money in producing a product that has a wide feature set, but when it comes down to it, they aren't built to last. We are the ONLY treadmill company that will guarantee the deck on a treadmill for LIFE.
    How does Sole measure success?
    We believe there is no reason a customer can't be satisfied. No matter what it takes, we can find a way to make sure every customer is content. No one has a perfect track record. Mistakes will happen. While everyone else talks about policies and procedures, focusing on what they won't do for customers, we throw out the restrictions and make sure our reps feel empowered to help. When a customer congratulates us for winning them over, that translates into success in every part of the business.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
    People think that buying big ticket items online is too hard. They are afraid to buy something that weighs over 200 lbs and have it shipped to their home. We have perfected this process, and customers are consistently surprised at the ability we have to make getting fitness equipment shipped to your home easy.
    How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
    People are always trying to find new and engaging ways to exercise. We have introduced a number of new products. 10 years ago, the only things we sold were treadmills. We brought ellipticals into our line years ago. Now, we product an excellent line of bikes, including stationary, recumbent, and spin bikes. We also just started selling rowing machines. Customers are looking to truly build home gyms, and not just find something they might use once in a while.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Sole Treadmills?
    We genuinely want to make your experience a good one. We have the manufacturing power of a large multinational company, but we still pride ourselves on having a small business customer service mindset.
    Has Sole received any awards or recognition for its products your customers would like to know about?
    We have an A+ business rating with the BBB. We have been featured as a best buy in Consumer Reports magazine on many occasions. But our best recognition comes in the form of feedback and positive reviews all over the internet, from real people, who bought our product.
    How has Sole grown or evolved?
    Each year, we expand our brand name, and move into new product areas. So far, each one has been a huge success. We listen to what the market wants, and don't try to force products that people aren't interested in. Over the years we have made improvements in our manufacturing, including our packaging, quality control, and supply chain process. We have also pioneered new methods of shipping and home delivery that our freight partners have used to sell to other companies like us.

SOLE Treadmills Company Information