Schwinn Ellipticals

Compare Ellipticals

Research top Ellipticals recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

The Schwinn machine is very solid. It holds the weight very nicely and does not rock when in use. Overall it is a nice machine. We also like to hang our coats there in the winter and cats like to sleep on it. I like it the way it is. Although I would get rid of the fan since it is a waste of space. The power cord is also in a bad spot. Also, it was a pain to assemble. The pieces did fit nicely. Just a heavy beast to move. The machine was supposed to be movable and I am always afraid if I move it. This thing could topple over and crush a leg.

Schwinn is small enough to fit in a corner and is a easy, quick workout that makes me break a sweat without hurting my knees or back. Also in 20 minutes, I already feel like I am getting a workout. It was a pain to put together originally. Also, the strides are short for my long legs, I am almost 5'10". My husband also can't use it because of the strides and it is a bit shaky when he uses it - he is over 6 feet and 245 lbs. It came in parts and we had to follow directions and put the entire machine together. It was really difficult to put together and took my husband and I all night! However, it is easy to use now that it is fully put together. It stays in my basement room and I just turn it on and use the same settings. Worth the money.

Schwinn is a basic machine, there aren't many bells and whistles on it. It is perfect for an at home workout and for our family. We love it and would not change anything. It was very easy to set up. It took about 30 minutes with 2 of us working on it. We did it in an evening and used it the same night. We weren't tired and used it the same night as well as the next day.

I like that the Schwinn elliptical works without electricity and still able to work with batteries to show how much calories I'm burning and speed. The only feature I would improve on is the part where the foot is placed, my feet tends to slip out and gets out of place while I am working out. I would prefer something that is comfortably strapped on. But my husband had set it up and the manual was user friendly so he managed very well.

The elliptical machine is quiet and easy to use. You can use your iPad to watch different routines. It was very easy to assemble with very well drawn out instructions. It took around one and a half hours to fully assemble. The machine is great if you are petite and thin but if you are taller and wider then the handrails will get in your way because they are so narrow. Make them adjustable. But it is worth the money. I recommend it and I look forward to working out with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Schwinn Ellipticals?

Schwinn 430 is sturdy and one of the quietest and smoothest machine I've used. Good price tag for a good piece of equipment. The screen works great. The steps feels natural and the fans works well. One wheel does make squeaking noise over time, but easy fix with lubricant. The installation of the power cord has to be done carefully making sure you don't pinch the cord. You don't get a great stride if you are on the taller end of the height scale. Feet tend to slip forward, but easy fix with slip pads. The delivering process was easy. You'll have to set up date and time and they will carry it to the room you want. They don't assemble it unless you've paid for it but the instructions are easy to follow for self assembly. Just have to be careful with the cord to make sure you don't pinch it.

Schwinn is the brand name of the elliptical machine that I currently own and use within my home on a regular basis. It has nice motion in terms of lack of jerkiness and the machine comes with a working fan to help prevent overheating. Additionally, it has a plug for mp3 player to use with speakers. I wish they would get the resistance and incline settings right so that it isn't too easy but yet doesn't feel impossible. Additionally trying to hit the stop/pause button normally requires fine motor function and still getting your hand hit by upper body pieces. Usage is fairly easy minus trying to reach for the start work out and pause/stop button. Trying to set up the machine takes two people and a decent amount of time. You have to watch setting up the flywheel and arm/upper body pieces due to the grease that is used. It can get everywhere pretty easily.

My favorite feature is the goal tracking. It was my first to seeing such a feature on an elliptical machine, and is definitely the one I use the most. I also like the wide variety of programs, and option to have different users. The first time I set it up, it was a bit difficult. But over time, it has become much easier for me. I have no issues with setting up it and operating it now. It is made to be easy to use and definitely is, my elderly family members were even able to use it with no problems. There are only two features I dislike about my Schwinn: It is not backlit. This sometimes makes it hard to see while exercising. It can also be very squeaky, which can be incredibly annoying. Despite those two things, I believe the pros outweigh the cons.

We bought a Schwinn in 2012 that we still use to this day. It works for us fairly well for the meantime. Heart rate monitor, speed and tension levels, and it times the runs/walks that you take which is nice if you aren't wearing a pedometer. The levels go from easy to pretty hard so there is always a challenge and different levels of tension in different patterns as well. It seems a little cheap, the screen is very small and I would like to see a bigger screen or maybe even a phone input. The feet of the machine seem like they could be straighter because it somewhat hurts my legs and makes them feel bowed outwards at times during a long exercise. Setting up is pretty easy, turn it on, select the style of walk you want and go. There are just a few buttons so it's very simple. The heart rate monitor could be in a better place, maybe closer to where you hold the handles as you walk.

The features I like about my elliptical is the usb port to plug in my iphone or ipad. I can watch hulu or netflix while exercising, it helps pass the time/he built in fan helps keep me cool, the light up display screen is useful b/c the machine is in my bedroom and sometimes my spouse is asleep when I use it and I can exercise with the lights off and the button control resistance and incline helps me adjust my workout and do different interval training without having to interrupt my workout to make the adjustments.

Sometimes I feel there is not enough storage at my fingertips, I like to keep everything within reach so I don't have to stop exercising like the Remote, iphone, water cup, ipad to watch shows. There are lots of things in the way and wish there was more of a table on top by the display to rest these things. I also wish the display didn't toggle between the time and distance, etc. I would like that displayed at all times to see.

Its very easy to set up, I put my ipad on the tray and climb on. I press the easy manual workout button and I'm off. Just start striding. I can then adjust with buttons my incline and resistance until I reach an setting that feels right. It's very easy to use and understand the display. The pause feature is more difficult to use if you need to stop for whatever reason and also ending the workout it wants to go into a cool down phase that I don't always want to do. The end button should just end it.

I like how easy it is to adjust the resistance to make the workout easier or harder. The length of time being displayed on the screen in front of you is helpful. The design is not so bulky that I cannot move the machine on my own. However, I would definitely improve the heart rate feature. It rarely works and when it does, it seems to show an inaccurate heart rate. I suffer from an illness where my heart rate has to be consistently monitored, so if that worked better, it would benefit me. I also wish that I could adjust the length of the arm handles because my arms are too short. It was also pretty difficult to get it down the stairs and into my basement. But the majority of controls (besides the heart rate monitor) are self-explanatory and not at all difficult to use.

The Schwinn elliptical is just a general elliptical machine which does the job. But I hope they would provide more options to manage the weight and make the machine sturdy. And that they would provide more challenging levels which will increase your heart rate and also make the fan more powerful. It was also very difficult to set up the elliptical as the installation manual was incorrect. I had to do lot of trials to do the installation. The screws were not fitting properly so had to call the customer service to get them. Other than that, it's good with the functionality and I enjoy doing the exercise. It also has levels helping you to maintain the energy levels.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Schwinn was founded in Chicago in 1895 as a manufacturer of bicycles. Today, they continue to make and sell outdoor bicycles and have added indoor exercise equipment, including bikes and ellipticals, into their lineup. They currently have three ellipticals for consumers to choose from.

• Schwinn 470 elliptical: This elliptical has 29 programs, compatibility with MyFitnessPal, tracking lights, up to a 10-degree incline, 20-inch stride and more. It is safe for users up to 300 pounds.
  • Schwinn 520 reclined elliptical: Users who need additional support for their joints will appreciate Schwinn’s reclined elliptical. This machine features a recumbent seat position, like a recumbent bike, but instead of bike pedals, it has an elliptical foot path with a 14-inch stride length. This is easy on the joints and comfortable for exercisers of all ages and abilities.
  • Schwinn 430 elliptical: Those looking for a simplified piece of exercise equipment will like the Schwinn 430 elliptical. This machine features 22 workout programs, 20 resistance levels, a 20-inch stride length and performance tracking.
  • Quick comparison: Compare two or three of Schwinn’s ellipticals side-by-side using the comparison feature on their website. This feature can help you narrow down your options so you get the best elliptical for your needs.
  • Best for Schwinn ellipticals are best for home users.

Compare Ellipticals