4.47/5
Based on 244 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recovery Centers of America (RCA) is the fastest growing addiction treatment provider in the U.S., making treatment for addiction and other mental health disorders as affordable and accessible as any other disease. With world-class clinical treatment in state-of-the-art facilities throughout New England, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland, every RCA patient is given the highest standard of care and evidence-based treatment with dignity and respect close to where they live and work.

Read More Read More
Last updated: March 30, 2018

244 Recovery Centers of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 30, 2018

Recovery Centers of America was very geared towards helping people recover from their addictions. It was a very nice place and I was very satisfied with everyone. It got me started on the right track to have a successful recovery. The only issue that I had was the facility that I was in was under construction. So the kitchen was not completed, and the food was taken cared by a food service and there were some issues with the food. Other than that, the entire staff itself that worked for Recovery Centers of America was very professional and very caring.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 27, 2018

The staff at Recovery Centers of America was great. And I stayed the full 30 days because the staff helped out and it's a lot easier to talk to staff when they're addicts or alcoholics themselves, instead of someone with just a degree telling me what to do. RCA has very clean and nice facilities as well. The groups that I went to were very good. They place you in the process groups where you could get really vulnerable and be able to relate to a peer who had dealt with the same stuff you did. The 12-step program was awesome. It taught me that I got to be able to do things I don't want to do. I got to try new things and I have to stay vulnerable and honest every day.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I was in withdrawal so my husband called the number associated with Bracebridge Hall, and then we received somebody from Recovery Centers of America. When I got there, they neglected to tell me that I would need to bring brand new things like toiletries and everything should be unopened as well. None of my toiletries had alcohol in them and they were very, very expensive. So I was a little upset about that. Also, they did not tell me that I was going to be strip-searched. I expected to be searched, but not treated like a prisoner. I would have been better prepared had the person on the phone told me about that.

Somebody from admissions was supposed to meet me around 11, but we didn't meet until around 1:00, so I just sat in the nurse's office from 8:30 to 1:00. The nurses were very pleasant and the facility was very clean and nice. The staff was very welcoming. My therapist Mike was wonderful, and the kitchen was great. The chefs were great about setting aside vegetables for me that weren’t cooked in butter and oil, even though the cooking staff was an outside source. The environmental services team worked themselves very, very hard to keep the place looking nice. All of the RSSes were good, except for Herb. He had an attitude and he didn't like any of us. I took this to the upper management when he started to pick a fight with a resident. He was purposefully enticing this person.

I've gotten a lot of tools from them. I’m still reading every day and I’m going to meetings. I’ve taken some of the things I did there and have incorporated them into my life that I need to do daily. I’ve gotten some tools to handle situations that may come up, that may set me, or may have made me want to drink. And I’ve been able to deal with them appropriately. It was a great facility, but they need to do some upkeep at Bracebridge Hall. My room there was the stinkbug room. I ended up bringing a couple of stinkbugs home with me, which I wasn't pleased with. But overall, Recovery Centers of America was able to help me find different tools to use instead of alcohol when things bothered me.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Recovery Centers of America has a very clean and comfortable facility, great food, and the staff was very welcoming. I was well taken care of. The RSS staff was incredible and the clinical staff was good as well. The only thing was they started separating males and females. And that's very important but I would add males and females back together in more groups because it's good getting the other sexes opinion on certain subjects. There's so much one can get from other guys. And also, I hope they would add more process groups. There weren't many processes going on. We had primary once a day, but it would be important to add some groups that kind of really get down to the meat and potatoes. Other than that, my experience was great. They helped me set up an InstaCare and set me up with a great InstaCare to go to.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I was very satisfied with my experience with Recovery Centers of America although my arrival wasn't too organized. I told them that I was going to be there at 6PM and I was there on time but nobody was there to receive me. I waited around for half an hour until people came downstairs to do my intake. So the receiving process wasn't too smooth at first, but it was okay after that. All the staff were very professional and everyone acted in a proper manner. I also like the everyday structure. Everything was well-structured out and there wasn't a lot of downtime during the week. I was very busy except for the weekends but that was understandable. It was like we needed some downtime too so the weekends were our time basically. We can't stay there forever either. We have to go back out in the real world eventually and they gave us all the tools that we needed for our own post-treatment. It was just up to us.

Recovery Centers of America response

Thank you Shaun. We appreciate both the compliments and your feedback regarding the admission process. We strive for a smooth patient experience in all aspects of treatment. Please feel free to contact 833-RCA-ACTS if you have anything further to add. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Recovery Centers of America?

Original review: March 20, 2018

I was in Long Island and I was Googling Dual Diagnosis or co-occurring centers in the area. And the website for Recovery Centers of America looks really good. It made it really stand out and it seemed impressive. So, I called them. They didn’t have a bed at Lighthouse but they did at Devon location. It was a nice facility but the admission lady didn't know what she was talking about. I told he certain tings go her and she just gave very judgmental responses, which was extremely unprofessional. It was a miserable experience, but everybody else was good. The staff really cared about the patients. They would go out of their way to do stuff for us. My therapist was incredibly smart and I could tell that she really cared.

They separated genders while we were there and I got the whole reasoning behind it. But it just got pretty ridiculous because there were times where they would let us talk to the girls and then they would pick random times where they would not let us talk to them. So they let us establish a relationship with them, and then they would tell us that we can’t talk to them anymore. And then they would let us again and it was back and forth like that. And from a lot of 12-step meetings, I found that a lot of the women actually had more in common with me than the men. It's a little recovery-based relationship and I wished that I could get to know them and talk about things. Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised how it went. This was my first treatment center and I wasn't expecting it to be that nice. I’m in another treatment center right now because I need a little more than a 30-day program. But it was a great first step.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Comfortable place to recover. A staff with great RSS’s (recovery support staff I believe is what it stands for). My counselor wasn’t all that great but from what I heard others were fantastic. Nursing staff was awesome and efficient. Always pleasant.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I could not have had a better experience. Our family therapist, Aman, was absolutely incredible. He ALWAYS made the time for family sessions when we requested and was extremely helpful in building a solid base for communication between myself and my husband (who was in RCA). Tiffany, my husbands therapist was a dream to work with as well. She kept me in the loop and allowed special visits/ calls to make sure we were able to keep my husband on the positive road to recovery when he was missing his little ones the most. Every single person we encountered was positive, helpful and kind. Couldn't have had a better experience.

Original review: March 13, 2018

It was my first time and I thought Recovery Center was going to be like jail and that it would be torture. But it wasn't. I had a very comfortable life with a lot of the people there and for the most part everybody was very nice. Overall, I met some nice people and it wasn't bad.

Original review: March 12, 2018

The staff at Recovery Centers of America was awesome. They were very accommodating and the house, Bracebridge, is awesome. I was lucky I was in the double room, but I was pretty much by myself for most of the time. It was pretty cool. My only problem with the room was that the air conditioning in my room was kind of just screwy. Also the roof was leaking in the library, so the library was closed out, and that was one of our favorite rooms. Another was that we didn’t get a lot of time outdoors during winter and some of us really wanted to.

The staff members that helped me the most were some of the RSSes. For nighttime it was Kelsey and she was awesome. She got out of her way to talk to a bunch of us and just make sure that we were all doing all right. And then throughout the days were Alvin and Lizzie. RCA set me up with a recovery house and to get the mindset back on. I feel like I also got a lot more out of talking to other clients there than my therapist. And some of us are actually still staying in contact, and just the accountability really helps.

Recovery Centers of America response

Hello Thomas! Thank you for your feedback. Do you want to help alumni, families and friends maintain a life in meaningful recovery? Do you want to help plan activities, meetings and events that promote community, networking, service and FUN in recovery in your neighborhood? Do you want to save lives and join a rapidly growing recovery community of inspiring, dedicated, and compassionate souls? If the answer is yes to any of the questions above, please call 610-994-2908 or reply to this email to learn more about volunteering for the Alumni Association or events near you. Alumni, families friends and current patients get so much out of their involvement in the Alumni Association, I have no doubt you will too.

Original review: March 10, 2018

My first meeting with the counselor was very productive. I believe this may be the place my son should have gone to from the beginning of his troubles. Everyone is nice, kind and professional. It was a good experience considering the circumstances of my visit. The rooms are beautiful and the food is very good. I think Lighthouse will provide the tools my son needs for success.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Treated with utmost care and respect by entire staff. Genuinely interested in my well being and recovery. All literature and reading materials up to date and any additional information requested by me regarding recovery was made available. Facility and food service was phenomenal in every respect. I’m most grateful for the services rendered.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Lighthouse - I attended the pancake breakfast this past Saturday morning. Drove a young man over for admittance into detox about a week or so prior. Wonderful to sit with him & see the difference in his appearance & attitude. Amazing! Positive place.

Original review: March 9, 2018

It was amazing!!! People were so kind and helpful, the place, was so clean and beautiful. My loved one was well taken care of by a wonderful staff??? Thank you all. ❤ I would definitely recommend this place to others. I learned a lot from the educational meetings before the visit. Thank you all for caring. ❤

Original review: March 8, 2018

We were on a professional tour, and I felt Tara did a fantastic job presenting the facility and mission of RCA (Westminster). Her passion for the help that is provided was contagious. Both parties I was with were impressed with all aspects, and the future expansion will add much to the campus.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Devon - Pleasant, informative, helpful to the patient, neat clean appearance. There did seem to be a lot of staff just there almost like it was overstaffed, I only say that because I worked at a rehab and we always were busy helping someone.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I am writing this review for Recovery Centers of America Danvers and to share my experience and to let others know what a horrible experience I had. It was probably one of the worse in my life. I went into this facility in hopes to ending my addiction to ** and **. I had an extremely high habit with both and was prone to seizures due to my ** habit. I was actually hospitalized for 3 days before entering the facility. The nurses and doctor were aware or this. Many of the nurses did not know what they were doing and were talking about their outside problems and bringing their problems into work with them which in turn affected their work performance. Some of the nurses were great, especially one male nurse who went to bat for me. After 2 days of being at the facility I was sent to Beverly Hospital due to having such high blood pressure and heart rate.

After I was released from the hospital, I still did not feel right. I felt as though I was about to have another seizure, thankfully I didn't, but I was having the tremors and to be honest I was feeling really unsafe. I also had to deal with my roommate getting in trouble. That made me really uncomfortable to have some random man in my room while I was sleeping and these individuals faced no consequences and were still allowed to stay there. I even witnessed and heard inappropriate conversations with patients and staff.

My health continued to plummet as my stay went on. I found out later that a young man had died not even a month before I entered the facility. It took almost a week for the doctor to see me. The doctor was unprofessional and the only reason I was able to see him was because the male nurse fought with him for me to be seen. I told the doctor and nurse practitioner I no longer felt safe staying in the facility. They sent me out AGAIN, this time to Mass General. I was told that they had set it all up so I would be able to be put on ** instead of the ** protocol that RCA had me on that obviously was not working. When I got to Mass General, they had no knowledge of any of this. RCA Danvers made me feel unsafe and I watched several other patients leave to go to the hospital and be put in harm's way.

After leaving RCA I found out not even two weeks later there was a death of another man. That's two deaths in less than a year. The addict and the addict's family should have HOPE and feel safe that their loved one is getting help. I would never come back to this place and would never recommend this place to anyone. Apparently, they are under new management but the place was very unorganized and chaotic when I was there. Maybe it has changed, maybe it hasn't... But I would never take the chance on going back there. Detox is there for you to get help, not for you to worry about your well being.

Recovery Centers of America response

Hello Lauren. Thank you for telling us about your time at RCA. We are sorry for your negative feelings about your experience. We would like you to know that our Danvers facility has reopened under new management and we have taken many steps to ensure a positive patient experience. In addition, a hotline has been established to address any and all concerns with RCA. If you are willing, we would like to speak to you at 1-833-RCA-ACTS. Thank you.

Original review: March 4, 2018

A doctor from my school referred me to Recovery Centers of America. I went to their Devon branch and it was a fantastic place. The staff has been welcoming. I remember every single one of them and they were all great people. They were very helpful, encouraging, and knowledgeable. I did my intake process and it was quick and easy. It didn't make me feel uncomfortable or anything like that. I went in, they showed me my room, and from there I immediately started groups and assimilated into the community. After the program, I went to after-care programs, which they set me up with directly. It put the foundation down for me so when I got out, I was able to make relationships of my own in sobriety. I genuinely think RCA saved my life.

Original review: March 2, 2018

The staff at Recovery Centers of America was knowledgeable and they seemed to really care. And they were professional and did a good job, too. A lot of my experience there was stuff I already knew but it was good. And they gave me the tools to be successful on my own post-treatment. I had a problem with the prescription they gave me for my medicine when I got out. The pharmacy wouldn’t take it so I couldn’t get my prescriptions filled. They said that the license of the doctor who wrote the prescription was expired. So I never got my medicine.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I had entered Recovery Centers of America Danvers towards the end of July 2017. This was the worse experience in my life. I came into the program wanting to get help for my addictions and all that happened was me being set up failure, and I also felt completely unsafe in the facility. I was one of the most high risk patients there due to having a high ** habit along with having an ** habit as well. As my stay went on, I did not get better, I only got worse both physically and mentally. One male nurse who was extremely good at his job even spoke to the doctor and said he needed to address my physical state immediately because my vitals and blood pressure were extremely high. He had also told the doctor that if I was not seen and this issue wasn't addressed he said he had a bad feeling something bad was going to happen. Not even 24 hours later I ended up having a seizure and was rushed to Beverly hospital.

The night before I had the seizure I was up all night telling the nurses something was not right and they did not do anything. I remember that night watching TV at the edge of my bed and waking up on the floor. I felt as though I had lost time. After I was released from the hospital, the doctor finally saw me. He was extremely unprofessional and called me his "seizure boy". I witnessed several patients have seizures as well. There was sexual misconduct amongst patients and there was inappropriate conversations amongst patients and staff! One nurse even came in talking about fighting with her boyfriend and was putting the blood pressure cuff on wrong and getting wrong results for vital signs. It wasn't until the male nurse I had mentioned before caught it and had to recheck patients' vital signs.

I finally had said enough is enough and asked to be sent somewhere that would take care of me. They finally agreed, or so I thought because they had got all of my belongings and then told me I was not going anywhere and gave me ** IM. The facility had left my phone and wallet that had money and credit cards in there up at the nurse's station all night. Thank God nothing was taking. Out of not feeling safe, hearing of the death of a young man that happened not long before I entered the detox, and seeing other patients be put in harmful situations I decided it would be in my best interest to leave.

I found out a few weeks after I had left another person had passed away in this facility. My prayers go out to both families. I know first hand how patients were treated, including myself, and the incidents there should have been prevented if the doctor and staff knew what they were doing. Some of the nurses were great, but unfortunately I would never recommend this place if it were open. You and your family should feel safe that you are in a detox getting help... Not the opposite!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Overall it was a pretty good experience. Though they didn't touch upon my drug of choice in groups at all! And they messed up my medications several times! You have to watch the nurses here (Westminster) really close and your medications and advocate for yourself!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Amazing from day one. The staff was amazing, I have never felt more respected, I was treated like I was there to actually recover not as a patient, I received so much from the staff, it was amazing. I would not be sober today if it was for the tech especially Noel, Chris, Courtney, Jason, Devon, they changed my point of view in so many ways, and my counselor was also amazing. Gabby, Matt treated me with nothing but respect and their doors were always open. The patient advocate Jane was also amazing. She was amazing with my legal situation immediately. I've been in a lot of place but RCA Devon PA is top of the line. I will recommend it to anyone looking to make a change. The people actually care about each patient and it shows every day. I owe my life to that facility. Thank you for giving me my life back.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

RCA was closer to home when I first went there and I’ve been there three times. When I first went to the Danvers facility in Massachusetts, the arrival was good. The first time I went to Westminster my intake wasn’t long at all. Then this last time I went, it was very long and I was very cold. They wanted me to sit by a window that was cold. But then they got me a blanket so, it was all right. I wasn’t feeling good and I just wanted to go lay down. But it definitely took a lot longer than it should have. But I was also grateful that they flew me from Florida back to Massachusetts so I could get treatment. I was grateful for that.

Their staff is great. A lot of them are in recovery themselves and they know a lot. Then a lot of them have family members that are in recovery as well. They’re really there for us. The program got me ready to leave. RCA is a great space. The food’s great, beds are comfortable and the groups are good. I wish they have faster intake and it shouldn't take four hours. Some of the nurses weren’t that good. But there are nurses that were on point with everything when it came to medications.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

My experience was fantastic. The RSS staff was outstanding. The therapist (Tiffany) were and are amazing. Very helpful. All staff members were fantastic. I would recommend RCA to everyone who needs serious help. I couldn't have gotten sober without the help of the staff. They did their job to the T. The place is aces.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Lighthouse - This place is awesome, food is great along with the staff and RSS's, all are amazing. They have been a great help to me from Ali, Sue, Mrs. **, Kia, Bob **, and Gary, Ray and Atheena, all really great people who all played their part in this phase of my recovery for real. And last but not least my counselor Dave was the cornerstone of my stay here. Get his ** a raise lol. He really knows what he's doing. He knows how to touch a person's soul yo... really...

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Staff was excellent, the nurses were very helpful, the RSS staff went out of their way to help you. They are always there to help when you need it. They helped guide me through this journey. Food was good, kitchen staff was very accommodating. Overall I found it to be a very good experience. The only trouble I had was trying to see the doctor to get my prescriptions I brought with me (** and **). I never got to see him.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

My experience with Recovery Centers of America was great. I was not accepted into any other rehab center. They told me that I didn’t drink hard enough since I didn’t drink every day in 30 days. I only drank one time. Also, the insurance at Recovery Centers of America was handled well while another place wanted $11,000 upfront, which I didn’t have. The arrival at Recovery Centers was good. The vicinity was only four hours away and the driver was really cool. And when I got there, Christine was the RPC that took care of me for the check-in and she was wonderful. It was on New Year’s Eve and I came in late. I got there 10:30 at night and the service there was good.

Lisa was my primary and she was amazing. She needs a raise. And there was Joaquin, the supervisor or the team leader, who was at night shift. He was also amazing. I’m only allowed to talk for 10 minutes a day and it made me worried once I realized where the hell I was and what had been going on. But the staff at Recovery Centers made the whole accommodation for me, to make me feel welcome and work on myself since I called for a reason. Connie, an RCP, and Sarah, the nurse manager, were phenomenal. And another staff did the church ceremony. However, I had a problem with one of the staff and I filed a grievance against her. She needs to lose her job because she doesn’t talk to the other staff well. She was horrendous and does not belong working in a rehab facility nor people with any kind of disability. But other than that, the experience went well.

I’m more of a binge drinker that goes on three or four binges a year. But I had grown up with alcoholic parents and my father was an addict. So, it’s definitely in my genes. Whether I binge drink or I drink every day doesn’t matter. But I would never have accepted it until I had the counseling and the therapy. That was the way I was saved. The outside meetings were so tremendous in my recovery since it was an eye-opener for me. I have a very successful position and I’ve made a life for myself as more like a functioning alcoholic, where I could never have accepted that part of me. Till this day, I go to their online meetings. I’ve accepted it and that was because of RCA. Had I not been there, I probably would have been out doing the same thing as before. I went to church, but I was going to church for somebody else. But at RCA, I worked solely on myself. So, the whole experience, from start to end, was amazing. I’m so thankful I went there.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

As a member of Alanon, I appreciated the opportunity to share the principles of our program with members of your Alcoholics Anonymous program. Personally, I found the facility to be cheerful and supportive and was impressed with your plans to make Alanon available to your clients.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Walking into the Admissions area was very welcoming and clean, nice touch to have snacks and beverages. Staff seemed a little unorganized and not very friendly. It is a new facility and I am sure that can improve. I was impressed with the information packet we received when leaving and how thorough it was.

Recovery Centers of America response

Hello Kimberly, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. At Recovery Centers of America, It is our goal to provide a flawless experience to every visitor who comes through our doors but it sounds like we may have fallen short on some of your expectations. Would you be able to give us a call at 1-833-RCA-ACTS so we can address your concerns directly? Thank you Kimberly and we look forward to speaking with you!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Recovery Centers of America's staff are all right and really helpful. The experience worked for me and I haven't got high. They are good and I'd definitely recommend them to other people.

Recovery Centers of America Company Information