3.47/5
  • 1 star
Based on 52 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: July 31, 2017

90 ProForm Ellipticals Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: July 31, 2017

I purchased an elliptical (920E) from ProForm.com barely one month ago. The purchasing experience was easy and fast... Then it all went downhill! Charged twice! I financed the unit for 12 months same as cash, however, I was charged 2 times for the unit and a 1-year subscription to iFit. I have called ProForm 3 times (once per week) to ask them to remove the second charge and each time they tell me they are escalating a review of my account and should have it resolved in a week.

Elliptical broke! I have been using the elliptical approximately 5 times a week for a 3-5 mile workout. I was really enjoying the experience and had developed a routine. Midway through week 4, the drive belt shredded. I had registered the unit and I immediately called customer service. After 30+ minutes on hold, I was told they would ship the belt the following day and it would take 7-10 business days to arrive. The representative said that I should be prepared to replace the belt myself (even though there is a 3-year parts and 1-year service warranty) because their service techs "are booked for weeks". She said they would ship the part the following day. I sent a follow-up email and received a reply that the part had indeed shipped (per Nathan **). That was last week. I checked the tracking number today and the part has not yet shipped and that shipment was just requested today.

I called customer service and was again told that the part had shipped last week. However when I told the customer service again that I checked the tracking number and it has not shipped she put me on hold and came back and confirmed. But, she said, "it should be shipping soon." I checked their website to see if I could just order the belt myself and expedite the shipping. There is a Parts tab on their website, but the only part I could find for my unit is the User's Manual. So now I have a machine that I have paid double for along with a subscription to iFit and I can't use any of it! As I was waiting for the customer service agent to confirm that my part had in fact not shipped on the date they promised, I checked their reviews for customer service. They have a 1-star rating (wish I had checked that sooner!).

When she came back on the line and confirmed that the part had not shipped, I asked her if she was aware of their customer service rating (I did not say what it was). She said that she was not and was not "here to argue about that". I explained that I was not arguing about anything and that I just asked a simple question. ProForm's policy allows you to try the unit for 30 days during which you can return it. However, you would need to disassemble the unit and repack in the original box and pay a 10% restocking fee. It's obvious to me now that ProForm is focused on selling their machines and cares little for the customer service or warranty side of the agreement. Before I realized this, I had praised the elliptical to a handful of my friends who were considering a purchase. I have since rescinded my recommendations and am sharing my experience with all. I do not recommend doing business with ProForm!

Original review: April 10, 2017

I am so disappointed. I decided to buy the ProForm hybrid trainer pro after seeing an endorsement by people I trust. I wanted to buy directly from proform.com since I figured that would be the best way to ensure I received the correct product. My mother decided to buy one as well. We received our machines the same day AND BOTH WERE DAMAGED. I called and they sent out replacement machines for free, but we were now left to deal with disposal of the old ruined machines.

We got the new machine and put it together (hours of our time), but as soon as it has power to start working the belt on the inside of the machine is BROKEN! It causes resistance and makes a horrible noise. WE DIDN'T EVEN GET TO USE IT ONCE! I spent 30 minutes on with a customer service guy and the only options he gave me were these: a tech will come out and a part will be sent in about a week OR: I could take the entire machine apart and try to repackage it and then send it back for a refund. That’s it. And a "sorry for the inconvenience." I will never buy from Proform.com again. I have never been so frustrated and disappointed in a product or company. They need to build better machines, and also find new ways to package and ship them. If our 3 machines were damaged upon arrival, I can only imagine how many others are as well! NOT OKAY!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 6, 2017

This machine can be used low impact or with the incline set up high to get heart rate up and really sheds calories. The incline is adjustable to work different parts of your body.

Original review: March 30, 2017

This machine allows you to use your MP3 player and this is huge. I like being able to listen without worrying about damaging my player. Also, there is multiple programs and workouts. Though the handles could be better, and the cushioning is light weight. I'm afraid it will be destroyed, since we have teenagers that are rough. It took about 2 hours to put together. This was reading and trying to follow the directions. One person might be able to do it alone, but 2 made it much easier.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I like this Proform machine because there are different levels of difficulties. The elliptical is challenging some days but it is very easy to use. I like that I can put it on any setting that I like and change it throughout my workout. But I dislike the handle bars because they move. I wish I would have bought one without the moving bars. I don't like having to move my arms along with doing the elliptical. Other than that, it is very easy to use. You can set it on easy or hard levels and it's pretty self explanatory. I really enjoy it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ProForm Ellipticals?

Original review: March 28, 2017

ProForm has a lot of adjustments and levels you can use so you can get a better workout. You can increase the intensity and the resistance. It also has a feature to link to ifit. It works perfectly and has all of the best features already installed. It is always set up so easy to use. It folds up very easy but I do not use this function as I like it to always be ready. I never had any problems with it.

Original review: March 27, 2017

We paid to have the elliptical assembled. It took them 4 hours to put it together initially. I love that Proform folds up for easy storage. When I use it on a daily basis, I just have to pull a lever to unlock and unfold the machine. It's fairly easy. It has a cup holder, and I can plug my iPod in and my music plays through the speakers. But I wish it had a fan on it. I also would like to have more programs built in. And I am sorry I didn't get a machine with online programs and a bigger screen. The arms are also a little stiff and cumbersome to operate.

Original review: March 26, 2017

Setting up the elliptical was quite easy. In fact it only took less than 20 minutes to set up because it came already built together. I just had to plug in and start running. There's a lot of workout levels and presets to use. It has all the right features like heart monitor and speakers. Though I would try to include more preset so that I can choose which one I want to run. I'd also would improve the way the mats feel on your feet when you're using the machine.

Original review: March 25, 2017

ProForm gives me a full body work out and it's super easy to use. The controls are simple yet they provide the results I'm looking for. It doesn't take up a lot of space and that's great. It also comes with a lot of bells and whistles like a heart rate monitor. It's easy to set up, and probably only took me twenty minutes tops to put it all together.

Original review: March 24, 2017

We went to the store and picked up the box. Then I brought the box inside, let it sit for an hour to warm up (we got the machine in February), took all the plastic and cardboard off and laid the pieces out. I just followed the directions in the box, and it took about an hour to put the whole thing together and start using it. I like that there are different difficulty levels. It times the workout and shows the distance that you did. It has a smooth ride and a fan that helps with the cooling off process along with a jack to plug your mp3 player and use the speakers to blare your music which is a great motivator. But I would like to improve the size of the foot boards. They are just not long enough in my opinion. And where the adaptor plugs in if using instead of the 4 "d" batteries to run the console, the wire likes to hit the arms when using resulting in a clicking noise which can get very annoying.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I like that it keeps track of calories burned and has a timer included. It was a good price and also gives a good workout that works the whole body. Also, I like that it's movable to any room in the house. It's very easy to use and the directions are self explanatory. However, I would like it to be a little more smooth in stepping would be nice. Other than that it's a well built machine for the money.

Original review: March 22, 2017

I needed assistance to put together; definitely not a one person job. But it was very easy to move from elliptical to bike, able to do both exercises in one day. Although it is not as small as it could be, the pay off is that the machine acts as two. It's cheap and had all the features to look forward to when it comes to at home fitness equipment. I didn't like the app that came with the machine, as far as ridiculously high for monthly subscription but the media holder allows me to use any program available. It squeaks a bit now but for the price I'm still happy about it.

Original review: March 21, 2017

ProForm has good electronics and smooth belt but it's hard to setup. It's pretty heavy to lift and a bit long in length. I'm looking for a lighter piece of equipment and I need a sleeker design with iPhone attachments and a bigger display. Also, a cup or remote holder would be a great fit for this machine. Moreover, it has a little difficult users manuals. It needs to be in English and have some sort of helpline the user can call to clarify questions or concerns about the equipment since it costs almost $500. Then, batteries rusted in the compartment. I'm not sure of the exact warranty but it should tell the user to remove batteries after each use or design a model that does not require batteries. This would give a longer life cycle to the piece of equipment.

Resolution response: April 12, 2017

Proform elliptical trainer proform pro 9.9 - Although my first call to customer service was totally unacceptable, a follow-up call perhaps gave better results. Although the built-in heart monitor is a flawed product, the rep said he would send me an IFIT chest strap heart monitor from ICON, the parent company, for free. It has yet to arrive.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I ordered a ProForm Pro 9.9 with a "white glove" set up. The set up was okay. The men only put in a couple of bolts incorrectly. I had to wait weeks to get a service person to fix that. I have a four year service contract. However, when I called to get help because my heart rate monitor wouldn't sync with the machine, which it was supposed to do, I was given directions to take the machine apart to check to see if the wires were connected or not. That should have been part of set up, but I was told that if I didn't get it back together correctly, there would be a charge of about $170 to have a technician come by.

I like the machine, but don't buy from these guys. It took forever to get a repair date. It takes forever to get to customer service. They keep finding ways to charge a customer more. I can use my heart rate monitor with my phone, but that is not what I should have to do. By the way their heart rate monitor on the machine, the handles one holds to get the rate, show rates that are all over the map.

Original review: March 20, 2017

ProForm is a trusted brand. It had great reviews online. I like that it was affordable and reliable. It's also not too big so it fits perfectly in my spare room. It's not loud so the other person in my house isn't overwhelmed by the noise of me working out. It works perfectly and doesn't give me any trouble. If I could change anything it would be that it could come in a variety of colors to match the decor of my spare room and it would be cool to choose the color equipment I wanted. It was easy to set up and easy to use. It came in one box and had easy to follow instructions and didn't require any weird tools just things I had already owned.

Original review: March 19, 2017

The set up was very simple and only took a little bit of effort. The most difficult thing was getting it through the door. I made the mistake of completing the assembly process before moving it to the room it would be housed in. It has front wheels, so we thought we could maneuver it easily, but it was difficult! It is also a big machine. My ProForm elliptical records the time exercised, the calories burned, and the distance! All are very important when planning and executing a good workout! The machine also runs smoothly and quietly! I have like this machine and have been pleased with it's performance! It is used often and liked, but after I purchased it, I realized I had bought one that doesn't require as much movement as I desired! Though it provides me with a good workout, I have found that a more advanced machine would have satisfied me more.

Original review: March 18, 2017

It's a two in one elliptical and bike. The transition from elliptical to bike is very simple. It doesn't take much effort. There is a knob that you twist and the display screen lowers. Also, it gives me more options when working out. Most days I use the elliptical. The bike is a nice option to have. I'm just not a big bike person. I wish there was a place for my phone. I use it for music when exercising. There is a cup holder and that's nice but having another place to set things would be perfect.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Laid out the parts of the ProForm 225 CSE and it was easy to put together. As we began to see the end results we were able to wheel it to the location and begin to train and as I began my usage I was very happy with the cardio I was getting. I could also feel the burn in my legs. The different adjustments allow me to get results in my workout and I enjoy my time on the machine. I enjoy the fun and the different levels that I can adjust my machine too. However, it's noisy. I tend not to concentrate on the noise but on the results I'm getting from the machine itself. I would use a different grease and try the machine out in the store next time.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I really like the size of the ProForm Hybrid Trainer because it is important that it fits with my other machines and equipment. I also love how it looks simple and feels comfortable compared to other ellipticals I have tried. It was a little confusing at first because figuring out the settings was difficult for me. However it only took me one time of playing with the buttons to learn them. It was easy to set the machine up and place it where I wanted it to go.

Original review: March 16, 2017

For what I do, the elliptical is very easy to use. I turn the power on and just go. It does have multiple resistance settings and an incline setting. It also has interval programs. The fan is quite noisy and does not provide any breeze at all. The distance counter is off, but I just go for about an hour to work up a good sweat.

Original review: March 15, 2017

Was very simple to setup and operate. I had no problem at all getting it going and using it. I like that I can hook up my phone to play my own music. It's digital with many features, very easy to use and I spend multiple hours using the machine. It makes my exercise experience a great one. I would recommend this machine to anyone who asks me about it. The only thing I could suggest is maybe making the next model a bit lighter so it's more easily to move around and or transport.

Original review: March 15, 2017

ProForm was extremely easy to set up, and the only downside was that it was heavy to put together. I have had a couple of issues with the resistance which needs monthly fixing. I like the programmed routines, varying levels of resistance and that it is simple enough to use. It is also foldable which means it is easy to store. But I would like to include a virtual personal trainer and a screen to watch a video. Right now the levels are very basic and I only have the options of 9 varying levels of resistance.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I was a little skeptical about the price but the reviews were excellent. My model is an older one. I don't have the new features that are available and I wish that it did but I don't need the extra expense when the one I have still works perfectly and it still gets the job done. It has lasted longer than I expected. And the healthy lifestyle that I was looking for was easier to achieve once I developed a routine. I don't use it anymore but I have had it ten years. My son uses it for his daily exercise routine. I have kept it because works and as easy to use as riding a bike. The instructions were simple and clear. It did not take a long time to assemble and it doesn't take up a lot of space.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Proform Endurance 720 E is great. You must make sure all the parts and joints are tightened and balanced. Otherwise, it will result in damage of the machine or even yourself. The biggest drawback of the machine is it has a horrible smell which doesn't seem to be diminishing. I'd hate to send it back but I can't leave the door open to the room it is in because it makes my whole house smell. My wife walked by a few feet away from it and asked if some chemicals were spilled. It got where I would get a headache and/or nauseous just being near or on it for a few minutes.

Original review: March 12, 2017

The ProForm is a really good brand and is worth the money. I caught it on a Black Friday sale and the price was 200. Really good price cause it was a floor model. I used it daily and I had no problems at all learning to use it. The instructions were very simple and pretty self explanatory. And it was very easy to put together, very heavy and sturdy. It held my weight of two hundred without any worries. It had a drink holder as well for water and the seat had cushioning too. Also, I have all programmable features as well as speakers. I was able to use my Bluetooth as well to hook up my phone for music. The only problem I had was storage. It had to be in my garage. I recommend it for anyone with plenty space.

Original review: March 11, 2017

The ProForm Elliptical machine was easy to set up and operate. I did it on my own with no additonal help. It came with a booklet that explain step by step what to do to set it up. Also, I like that ProForm includes iFit, workout programs, and incline and a port for an iPod. It is also good for anyone on a budget. It has a decent stride width and comes with a product warranty. However, the stride could have been a little longer to accommodate my husband who is 6 ft. 3 inches tall. Otherwise it was fine and not too bulky.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I love that the ProForm elliptical flips over to be a recumbent bike--it's a two-for-one value that can't be beat. It keeps track of calories burned and time allocated to exercise as well. It is easy to set up but can get caught up in carpet so doesn't move easily. Operating the recumbent part can be difficult on your back if you are prone to back issues as it has a fixed angle that you have to lean against. And the spacers for your feet positions could stand to have more options. There is a certain amount of noise that increases as the equipment ages; as the parts get loosed that rattle and vibrate making it difficult to hear much over the sound of your exercising.

Original review: March 9, 2017

The elliptical seemed cheap enough for the price, but the product was not well made and seemed flimsy. I thought a product like this would be much sturdier. The price looked good for this, but you get what you pay for, so I would call this a poor value. I don't know if it was just me and my body type, but it didn't work for what I paid. It was easy enough to use. I just wish that it felt like something I would want to use instead of something that I had to struggle to use. It's without any entertainment options, so I just put it in front of a television and use that for entertainment while using it. Works well enough for me when I'm using it and it saved me some money by not having to pay for extra things.

Original review: March 8, 2017

ProForm is quite compact compared to some in the market. I also found the cellphone tray and bottle tray way stable than some I have used in the local gym. Besides, but really important, the color of it and material looks quite fancier. I would implement though a 3.5 mm in and out jacks for my audio mp3. It would be too much to ask if it could be 1/4" jacks. LED dimmer would be a great option in most of the elliptical machines. Set up is one of the easiest things that you could do. I hate complexity and nowadays, they use it as Advanced features that most of the people don't even use.

Original review: March 7, 2017

The elliptical was set up in my home by the dealer's installer. I had to call for repairs twice. It clanked from the first day I had it until I gave it away. Not the fault of the machine, except that it was uncomfortable for me to use as intended. For me it turned out to be a $700 clothes hanger. Also, I'm 5' 2" and I was assured by the dealer that the machine would be adjusted in my home to fit me. Although the installer tried his best the elliptical was too large for me. There are lots of silly led lights running around the console. Were they supposed to be motivating? If so, they did not do the trick for me.

ProForm Ellipticals expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Proform has been providing innovative training tools and fitness equipment for over 30 years. They have a variety of ellipticals, including hybrid options that allow for multiple types of workouts using one machine.

• Hybrid trainer: Proform’s Hybrid trainer is both an elliptical machine and a recumbent bike. It easily transforms between the two machines, so users can benefit from two different types of total body cardio workouts.

• Pro 16.9: Proform’s most advanced elliptical is the Pro 16.9. This elliptical features a 10” web-enabled full-color touchscreen so you can watch TV or browse the Internet during your workout. It has power incline up to 20 degrees and a 20” adjustable stride.  It arrives fully assembled so you can start your workout as soon as your machine arrives. It is priced at $2,499.

• iFit enabled: iFit technology is available on many of Proform’s ellipticals, including the Hybrid trainer, giving users access to Google maps, training videos and automatic tracking. Note that iFit requires separate purchase and registration.

• 30-day money back guarantee: Consumers who are not completely satisfied with their Proform elliptical purchase can return it within 30 days of receiving their product for a full refund.

• Free consultation: If you aren’t sure which Proform elliptical is best for your needs, fill out a short form on Proform’s website. You will be contacted by a representative who can help you choose the best elliptical for your space based on your fitness goals and budget. You can also send away for a free information kit to learn more about any of Proform’s ellipticals.

• Best for: Proform Ellipticals are best for recreational home users.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs