ProForm Ellipticals

Compare Ellipticals

Research top Ellipticals recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am so disappointed. I decided to buy the ProForm hybrid trainer pro after seeing an endorsement by people I trust. I wanted to buy directly from proform.com since I figured that would be the best way to ensure I received the correct product. My mother decided to buy one as well. We received our machines the same day AND BOTH WERE DAMAGED. I called and they sent out replacement machines for free, but we were now left to deal with disposal of the old ruined machines.

We got the new machine and put it together (hours of our time), but as soon as it has power to start working the belt on the inside of the machine is BROKEN! It causes resistance and makes a horrible noise. WE DIDN'T EVEN GET TO USE IT ONCE! I spent 30 minutes on with a customer service guy and the only options he gave me were these: a tech will come out and a part will be sent in about a week OR: I could take the entire machine apart and try to repackage it and then send it back for a refund. That’s it. And a "sorry for the inconvenience." I will never buy from Proform.com again. I have never been so frustrated and disappointed in a product or company. They need to build better machines, and also find new ways to package and ship them. If our 3 machines were damaged upon arrival, I can only imagine how many others are as well! NOT OKAY!

This machine can be used low impact or with the incline set up high to get heart rate up and really sheds calories. The incline is adjustable to work different parts of your body.

This machine allows you to use your MP3 player and this is huge. I like being able to listen without worrying about damaging my player. Also, there is multiple programs and workouts. Though the handles could be better, and the cushioning is light weight. I'm afraid it will be destroyed, since we have teenagers that are rough. It took about 2 hours to put together. This was reading and trying to follow the directions. One person might be able to do it alone, but 2 made it much easier.

I like this Proform machine because there are different levels of difficulties. The elliptical is challenging some days but it is very easy to use. I like that I can put it on any setting that I like and change it throughout my workout. But I dislike the handle bars because they move. I wish I would have bought one without the moving bars. I don't like having to move my arms along with doing the elliptical. Other than that, it is very easy to use. You can set it on easy or hard levels and it's pretty self explanatory. I really enjoy it.

ProForm has a lot of adjustments and levels you can use so you can get a better workout. You can increase the intensity and the resistance. It also has a feature to link to ifit. It works perfectly and has all of the best features already installed. It is always set up so easy to use. It folds up very easy but I do not use this function as I like it to always be ready. I never had any problems with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ProForm Ellipticals?

We paid to have the elliptical assembled. It took them 4 hours to put it together initially. I love that Proform folds up for easy storage. When I use it on a daily basis, I just have to pull a lever to unlock and unfold the machine. It's fairly easy. It has a cup holder, and I can plug my iPod in and my music plays through the speakers. But I wish it had a fan on it. I also would like to have more programs built in. And I am sorry I didn't get a machine with online programs and a bigger screen. The arms are also a little stiff and cumbersome to operate.

Setting up the elliptical was quite easy. In fact it only took less than 20 minutes to set up because it came already built together. I just had to plug in and start running. There's a lot of workout levels and presets to use. It has all the right features like heart monitor and speakers. Though I would try to include more preset so that I can choose which one I want to run. I'd also would improve the way the mats feel on your feet when you're using the machine.

ProForm gives me a full body work out and it's super easy to use. The controls are simple yet they provide the results I'm looking for. It doesn't take up a lot of space and that's great. It also comes with a lot of bells and whistles like a heart rate monitor. It's easy to set up, and probably only took me twenty minutes tops to put it all together.

We went to the store and picked up the box. Then I brought the box inside, let it sit for an hour to warm up (we got the machine in February), took all the plastic and cardboard off and laid the pieces out. I just followed the directions in the box, and it took about an hour to put the whole thing together and start using it. I like that there are different difficulty levels. It times the workout and shows the distance that you did. It has a smooth ride and a fan that helps with the cooling off process along with a jack to plug your mp3 player and use the speakers to blare your music which is a great motivator. But I would like to improve the size of the foot boards. They are just not long enough in my opinion. And where the adaptor plugs in if using instead of the 4 "d" batteries to run the console, the wire likes to hit the arms when using resulting in a clicking noise which can get very annoying.

I like that it keeps track of calories burned and has a timer included. It was a good price and also gives a good workout that works the whole body. Also, I like that it's movable to any room in the house. It's very easy to use and the directions are self explanatory. However, I would like it to be a little more smooth in stepping would be nice. Other than that it's a well built machine for the money.

I needed assistance to put together; definitely not a one person job. But it was very easy to move from elliptical to bike, able to do both exercises in one day. Although it is not as small as it could be, the pay off is that the machine acts as two. It's cheap and had all the features to look forward to when it comes to at home fitness equipment. I didn't like the app that came with the machine, as far as ridiculously high for monthly subscription but the media holder allows me to use any program available. It squeaks a bit now but for the price I'm still happy about it.

ProForm has good electronics and smooth belt but it's hard to setup. It's pretty heavy to lift and a bit long in length. I'm looking for a lighter piece of equipment and I need a sleeker design with iPhone attachments and a bigger display. Also, a cup or remote holder would be a great fit for this machine. Moreover, it has a little difficult users manuals. It needs to be in English and have some sort of helpline the user can call to clarify questions or concerns about the equipment since it costs almost $500. Then, batteries rusted in the compartment. I'm not sure of the exact warranty but it should tell the user to remove batteries after each use or design a model that does not require batteries. This would give a longer life cycle to the piece of equipment.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Proform elliptical trainer proform pro 9.9 - Although my first call to customer service was totally unacceptable, a follow-up call perhaps gave better results. Although the built-in heart monitor is a flawed product, the rep said he would send me an IFIT chest strap heart monitor from ICON, the parent company, for free. It has yet to arrive.

Harris of Portland, OR on

Original Review

I ordered a ProForm Pro 9.9 with a "white glove" set up. The set up was okay. The men only put in a couple of bolts incorrectly. I had to wait weeks to get a service person to fix that. I have a four year service contract. However, when I called to get help because my heart rate monitor wouldn't sync with the machine, which it was supposed to do, I was given directions to take the machine apart to check to see if the wires were connected or not. That should have been part of set up, but I was told that if I didn't get it back together correctly, there would be a charge of about $170 to have a technician come by.

I like the machine, but don't buy from these guys. It took forever to get a repair date. It takes forever to get to customer service. They keep finding ways to charge a customer more. I can use my heart rate monitor with my phone, but that is not what I should have to do. By the way their heart rate monitor on the machine, the handles one holds to get the rate, show rates that are all over the map.

ProForm is a trusted brand. It had great reviews online. I like that it was affordable and reliable. It's also not too big so it fits perfectly in my spare room. It's not loud so the other person in my house isn't overwhelmed by the noise of me working out. It works perfectly and doesn't give me any trouble. If I could change anything it would be that it could come in a variety of colors to match the decor of my spare room and it would be cool to choose the color equipment I wanted. It was easy to set up and easy to use. It came in one box and had easy to follow instructions and didn't require any weird tools just things I had already owned.

The set up was very simple and only took a little bit of effort. The most difficult thing was getting it through the door. I made the mistake of completing the assembly process before moving it to the room it would be housed in. It has front wheels, so we thought we could maneuver it easily, but it was difficult! It is also a big machine. My ProForm elliptical records the time exercised, the calories burned, and the distance! All are very important when planning and executing a good workout! The machine also runs smoothly and quietly! I have like this machine and have been pleased with it's performance! It is used often and liked, but after I purchased it, I realized I had bought one that doesn't require as much movement as I desired! Though it provides me with a good workout, I have found that a more advanced machine would have satisfied me more.

It's a two in one elliptical and bike. The transition from elliptical to bike is very simple. It doesn't take much effort. There is a knob that you twist and the display screen lowers. Also, it gives me more options when working out. Most days I use the elliptical. The bike is a nice option to have. I'm just not a big bike person. I wish there was a place for my phone. I use it for music when exercising. There is a cup holder and that's nice but having another place to set things would be perfect.

Laid out the parts of the ProForm 225 CSE and it was easy to put together. As we began to see the end results we were able to wheel it to the location and begin to train and as I began my usage I was very happy with the cardio I was getting. I could also feel the burn in my legs. The different adjustments allow me to get results in my workout and I enjoy my time on the machine. I enjoy the fun and the different levels that I can adjust my machine too. However, it's noisy. I tend not to concentrate on the noise but on the results I'm getting from the machine itself. I would use a different grease and try the machine out in the store next time.

I really like the size of the ProForm Hybrid Trainer because it is important that it fits with my other machines and equipment. I also love how it looks simple and feels comfortable compared to other ellipticals I have tried. It was a little confusing at first because figuring out the settings was difficult for me. However it only took me one time of playing with the buttons to learn them. It was easy to set the machine up and place it where I wanted it to go.

For what I do, the elliptical is very easy to use. I turn the power on and just go. It does have multiple resistance settings and an incline setting. It also has interval programs. The fan is quite noisy and does not provide any breeze at all. The distance counter is off, but I just go for about an hour to work up a good sweat.

Was very simple to setup and operate. I had no problem at all getting it going and using it. I like that I can hook up my phone to play my own music. It's digital with many features, very easy to use and I spend multiple hours using the machine. It makes my exercise experience a great one. I would recommend this machine to anyone who asks me about it. The only thing I could suggest is maybe making the next model a bit lighter so it's more easily to move around and or transport.

ProForm was extremely easy to set up, and the only downside was that it was heavy to put together. I have had a couple of issues with the resistance which needs monthly fixing. I like the programmed routines, varying levels of resistance and that it is simple enough to use. It is also foldable which means it is easy to store. But I would like to include a virtual personal trainer and a screen to watch a video. Right now the levels are very basic and I only have the options of 9 varying levels of resistance.

I was a little skeptical about the price but the reviews were excellent. My model is an older one. I don't have the new features that are available and I wish that it did but I don't need the extra expense when the one I have still works perfectly and it still gets the job done. It has lasted longer than I expected. And the healthy lifestyle that I was looking for was easier to achieve once I developed a routine. I don't use it anymore but I have had it ten years. My son uses it for his daily exercise routine. I have kept it because works and as easy to use as riding a bike. The instructions were simple and clear. It did not take a long time to assemble and it doesn't take up a lot of space.

Proform Endurance 720 E is great. You must make sure all the parts and joints are tightened and balanced. Otherwise, it will result in damage of the machine or even yourself. The biggest drawback of the machine is it has a horrible smell which doesn't seem to be diminishing. I'd hate to send it back but I can't leave the door open to the room it is in because it makes my whole house smell. My wife walked by a few feet away from it and asked if some chemicals were spilled. It got where I would get a headache and/or nauseous just being near or on it for a few minutes.

The ProForm is a really good brand and is worth the money. I caught it on a Black Friday sale and the price was 200. Really good price cause it was a floor model. I used it daily and I had no problems at all learning to use it. The instructions were very simple and pretty self explanatory. And it was very easy to put together, very heavy and sturdy. It held my weight of two hundred without any worries. It had a drink holder as well for water and the seat had cushioning too. Also, I have all programmable features as well as speakers. I was able to use my Bluetooth as well to hook up my phone for music. The only problem I had was storage. It had to be in my garage. I recommend it for anyone with plenty space.

The ProForm Elliptical machine was easy to set up and operate. I did it on my own with no additonal help. It came with a booklet that explain step by step what to do to set it up. Also, I like that ProForm includes iFit, workout programs, and incline and a port for an iPod. It is also good for anyone on a budget. It has a decent stride width and comes with a product warranty. However, the stride could have been a little longer to accommodate my husband who is 6 ft. 3 inches tall. Otherwise it was fine and not too bulky.

I love that the ProForm elliptical flips over to be a recumbent bike--it's a two-for-one value that can't be beat. It keeps track of calories burned and time allocated to exercise as well. It is easy to set up but can get caught up in carpet so doesn't move easily. Operating the recumbent part can be difficult on your back if you are prone to back issues as it has a fixed angle that you have to lean against. And the spacers for your feet positions could stand to have more options. There is a certain amount of noise that increases as the equipment ages; as the parts get loosed that rattle and vibrate making it difficult to hear much over the sound of your exercising.

The elliptical seemed cheap enough for the price, but the product was not well made and seemed flimsy. I thought a product like this would be much sturdier. The price looked good for this, but you get what you pay for, so I would call this a poor value. I don't know if it was just me and my body type, but it didn't work for what I paid. It was easy enough to use. I just wish that it felt like something I would want to use instead of something that I had to struggle to use. It's without any entertainment options, so I just put it in front of a television and use that for entertainment while using it. Works well enough for me when I'm using it and it saved me some money by not having to pay for extra things.

ProForm is quite compact compared to some in the market. I also found the cellphone tray and bottle tray way stable than some I have used in the local gym. Besides, but really important, the color of it and material looks quite fancier. I would implement though a 3.5 mm in and out jacks for my audio mp3. It would be too much to ask if it could be 1/4" jacks. LED dimmer would be a great option in most of the elliptical machines. Set up is one of the easiest things that you could do. I hate complexity and nowadays, they use it as Advanced features that most of the people don't even use.

The elliptical was set up in my home by the dealer's installer. I had to call for repairs twice. It clanked from the first day I had it until I gave it away. Not the fault of the machine, except that it was uncomfortable for me to use as intended. For me it turned out to be a $700 clothes hanger. Also, I'm 5' 2" and I was assured by the dealer that the machine would be adjusted in my home to fit me. Although the installer tried his best the elliptical was too large for me. There are lots of silly led lights running around the console. Were they supposed to be motivating? If so, they did not do the trick for me.

The elliptical didn't require maintenance while owning for 10 years; during 4 month period, it was used 4 days per week, for 1 hour, and otherwise, shared with at least 2 others. It lasts forever. I gave it away to my brother and his family, who enjoyed it, and owned it for another 4 (then they gave it away to a friend). Although it might have come with these features (an iPod/earphone jack), I played my own music or tv. I would use my stereo or computer for music, and tv for viewing instead.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Proform has been providing innovative training tools and fitness equipment for over 30 years. They have a variety of ellipticals, including hybrid options that allow for multiple types of workouts using one machine.

• Hybrid trainer: Proform’s Hybrid trainer is both an elliptical machine and a recumbent bike. It easily transforms between the two machines, so users can benefit from two different types of total body cardio workouts.
  • Pro 16.9: Proform’s most advanced elliptical is the Pro 16.9. This elliptical features a 10” web-enabled full-color touchscreen so you can watch TV or browse the Internet during your workout. It has power incline up to 20 degrees and a 20” adjustable stride.  It arrives fully assembled so you can start your workout as soon as your machine arrives. It is priced at $2,499.
  • iFit enabled: iFit technology is available on many of Proform’s ellipticals, including the Hybrid trainer, giving users access to Google maps, training videos and automatic tracking. Note that iFit requires separate purchase and registration.
  • 30-day money back guarantee: Consumers who are not completely satisfied with their Proform elliptical purchase can return it within 30 days of receiving their product for a full refund.
  • Free consultation: If you aren’t sure which Proform elliptical is best for your needs, fill out a short form on Proform’s website. You will be contacted by a representative who can help you choose the best elliptical for your space based on your fitness goals and budget. You can also send away for a free information kit to learn more about any of Proform’s ellipticals.
  • Best for Proform Ellipticals are best for recreational home users.

Compare Ellipticals